Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda5

Comments

• bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Thanks...good info. I wonder how the 2nd row AC vents with fan will be set up? I imagine they'll be in the back of the front center console, although it would be better to have them in the ceiling or high up on the sides. With AC vents from the back of the center console you usually just end up with cold knees versus cooling the upper part of your body that's in the sun (cold air goes down and heat rises). Also, if they're up higher, then the 3rd row could benefit too.

But I do like the rest of the changes listed.
  • eilroseilros Member Posts: 35
    bobw3, If you haven't see the 2008 exterior spy pics, here's a link: http://www.worldcarfans.com/6070813.002/2008-mazda5-facelift-first-look
  • coolmazda5coolmazda5 Member Posts: 525
    Yeah, whatever they do with the 2nd row vents should be very creative. I like your ceiling vents idea. For the Japanese market they managed to get the front passenger armrest, but it seems that they sacrificed the center console somehow, so it will be interesting to see how it will be offered by the other markets

Check the image, first picture. This is the 2008 JDM Mazda Premacy configuration:

Source is the www.premacy.mazda.co.jp site...
  • yysyysyysyys Member Posts: 51
    City 22
    Highway 27
    Source
    Not sure if that information is correct as it does not specify AT or MT. If there are improvements on the MZR engine plus the 5AT for 2008, I would expect better numbers.

Check 2007 values from the Mazda USA Web Site:

EPA Mileage, City/Highway (mpg) - M/T 22/27
    EPA Mileage, City/Highway (mpg) - A/T 21/26

The values map the M/T EPA mileage...
  • kivokivo Member Posts: 64
    Any one know when the dealers will have the 2008 Mazda5 brochures in?
  • luvmazdaluvmazda Member Posts: 4
    Hi Kivo! I think it's going to be in November, 2007. That's when the dealerships usually start bringing in the 2008 makes. I'll ask my Mazda dealer and get back to you. :D
  • starlightmicastarlightmica Member Posts: 58
    Stumbled upon this yesterday - click the link, then on the Copper Red Mazda5.

http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/info-carCompare0710.html

First time I've seen a LHD interior shot of the 2008, with in-dash navigation and in beige. There's this odd horizontal slot located below the shifter, might this be the rear seat AC duct? It's not present on any of the 2008 JDM Premacy pics.

According to the link: EPA 22/28, just below 2008 Mazda3's 22/29 rating.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    The lack of it on the 2008 Mazda5 is shocking especially on a minivan/crossover type vehicle. In this class, it is usually usually standard equipment rather than an option. On the Mazda5 it still isn't available even as an option.

Which other 2008 minivans or crossovers besides the Mazda5 do not have stability control at least optionally?

The Mazda5 may be the only 2008 minivan-type vehicle sold in the United States without availability of stability control. Pretty bad to be in that position.
    Yes, I agree, but for the time I have driven mine I don't see it as a real critical need.

Most of the cars where I've seen ESC as a standard or as an option is because without it they are really dangerous.

After all, wasn't ESC was developed after so many SUVs and Minivans were really bad to maneuver on difficult situations even if the driver was a good one? The Mazda5 is not one of those.

Of course I would love to have ESC on mine. I know it is much safer for my family and me, don't take me wrong.
  • castg1castg1 Member Posts: 34
    I'm in saskatchewan and in winter time city roads are usually frozen snow. I drive the MZ5 using ESC (easy, slow, careful) driving. :). yes. with winter tires.
  • w00000tw00000t Member Posts: 23
    I apologize if this seems like a stupid question but...
    I am coming from driving a totally standard 2000 Chevy Cavalier to this nice 2006 Mazda5 Sport, so bear with me ;)

I noticed the lighting in my car is pretty dim at night (stereo, speedometer, etc..). I have figured out how everything else electronic in this car works however I can NOT figure out how to adjust the brightness. Yes, I read the manual. It says it's on the handle where you turn on the headlights and whatnot but um... I tried twisting and pushing all sorts of things on there and all it does is turn the parking and/or head lights on. Someone please tell me how to do this...Thanks!
    The car has a little stick/knob on the bottom left of the odometer. Turn it to the right clockwise until you hear a beep (or stops...). The beep or the stop indicate the brightest level.
  • mdchachimdchachi Member Posts: 275
    I'd guess a storage cubby hole for iPod, phone or whatever. I think it would be difficult to route ducting to that point.
  • w00000tw00000t Member Posts: 23
    AHA! PRESTO! Thanks :)
    :D

Awesome:
    - 2nd row seat A/C vents
    - Central console remains
    - Very distinctive exterior new color
    any other link to these pics? I only see one of the exterior.
    Here you go. I think this may work:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10728020@N02/sets/72157602451230684/

The Rear A/C vents:

And the new Navigation System (oh, and nicer gauges):

It's missing stability control though. That is a must have feature in this class of vehicles.
    The Mazda5 is the only one without it for 2008.
    Maybe, but good question, What class do you consider this car to be on? ;)

Anyway, yup, it would be nice, but not a deal breaker for me if you ask.
    Any class you could consider it to be in. Minivan/CUV. They all have and usually even standard.
    Even a Toyota Matrix http://www.toyotausa.com/vehicles/2008/matrix/key_features/vsc.html

The Mazda5 is mostly a minivan. It has sliding doors, it's shaped like a minivan and it's in the minivan category in these forums. All other minivans have stability control and have had it for a few years now.
    I saw some interior photos, and I like the added armrests and 2nd row AC. Although ceiling vents would be better, considering the small interior size and the fact that there's 2 seats in the 2nd row versus a single bench, it looks like the 3rd row will also get some cool air from those vents too. That's my biggest concern with a 3 row vehicle without out ceiling vents...cooling off the 3rd row.
    The really needed a bigger more powerful system. Just adding more vents to the existing weak system isn't going to be great on a hot day.
    True...something to think about if you're buying in the winter. It's easy enough to test on a hot summer day. But as long as the air is coming out cold, it's just a matter of some fans and vents to get that air to the rear of the car, but if it's only cool air then you're right, more vents and fans won't help.
    Any class you could consider it to be in. Minivan/CUV

...or a Small Wagon, or a Large Wagon, or an MPV, or...

The Mazda5 is mostly a minivan

I'm not sure if the forum classification makes me feel more confident :P. And yup, the sliding door makes it look like a minivan, but then it is difficult to explain why from the 1st Gen Premacy to the 2nd one the model overnight jumped from a spacious wagon into a minivan class, or why the Mazda MPV and the Mazda5 were selling side by side competing with each other for almost 2 years :confuse:

Again, not a deal breaker for this Mazda5 mini-minivan, mini people mover, baseball mom car, ... hmmm :D, It is still a very affordable, well designed and equipped automobile.
    One thing I noticed that hasn't changed is the wasted space on either side of the shifter. You'd think they could have put the shifter closer to the driver and have space on the right for some cubbies, like for an ipod or something. Right now you have the shifter with a lot of nothing on either side.
    You are right, it seems that for the auto transmission model pictured there is a lot of unused space. At least a coin holder or similar would be nice :)

Now, I have a Manual Transmission Mazda5 with no navigation, and the shifter space seems to be better distributed (sample pic below). As per the shifter position, my other car is also manual and I feel that the Mazda shifter ergonomically is located much better than the other one (height and reach distance. I'm almost 6', the driver's seat is in the last position and decently reclined back), so the shifter-driver distance may not be as critical as filling up the empty space.

Even in your photo, it seems as though they could have moved the shifter off-center, more towards the driver to free up some space on the right, but maybe with the manual it would have been more difficult. I'm just like lots of places to put small things: coins, phone, ipod, pens, etc... and when I see blank spots on the dash, I wonder how much more it would have cost just to mold the plastic inward to make a small bin and slap some rubber on the bottom. My little Honda Fit has lots of little places here and there for things like that, where-as my Ford Freestyle could use a few more, although the bin on top of the dash was a great innovation.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter seeks to talk with owners and serious shoppers of the 2007 or 2008 Mazda5 who are also parents. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Thursday, November 15, 2007 and include your city and state of residence as well as the age of your child/ren.

Thanks for your consideration,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds Inc.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Available in all trims it seems.

Here are the features:

Sport:
    http://www.edmunds.com/new/2008/mazda/mazda5/100948233/standard.html

Touring:
    http://www.edmunds.com/new/2008/mazda/mazda5/100948267/standard.html

Grand Touring:
    Now also with Bluetooth Wireless Data Link for Hands Free
    http://www.edmunds.com/new/2008/mazda/mazda5/100948268/standard.html
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    It's Tuesday, so that means it's time for our weekly chat session. Meet and greet with some of your CarSpace forums friends and chat about your favorite cars!

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • ahdavisahdavis Member Posts: 2
    I did some quick checking and found that DSC is part of the standard equipment of the Mazda5 in Germany, but is not available either in the US or Canada. So this isn't an engineering question, but merely a content / price question. I don't consider safety to be optional, but it should at least be available. It's disappointing to see an auto-maker take this approach, particularly on a model update, given that the feature has already been engineered.
  • pinoydocpinoydoc Member Posts: 3
    Forgive me if a similar question has been asked here or in other fora... my wife likes the Mazda5, but I would like to know how difficult it will be to access the 3rd row in order to strap 2 toddlers onto forward facing car seats WHILE there is a booster seat on one 2nd row seat AND a base for a rear-facing car seat on the other 2nd row seat. Thanks guys.
  • andydicoandydico Member Posts: 12
    Hi pinoydoc, I'm from Cebu but living in Winnipeg. I had my Mazda5 for about 2 months now. What you're planning is doable but extremely tight, you'll have to be quite nimble to do it. I think you'd be better off with a larger Mini-van. You wouldn't have any space left for baggage more so for strollers.
  • mdchachimdchachi Member Posts: 275
    I suggest taking the car seats to a dealer and trying it. That sounds like a very tight fit to me. If you need to use the third row regularly, I'd lean towards a full size mini-van.
  • pinoydocpinoydoc Member Posts: 3
    Thanks Andy and chachi. We already have a minivan, so this will be a second car to replace our wagon. Maybe we will use all seats only in a pinch. Or we'll end up just getting another minivan.
    p.s. mdchachi, by any chance were you ever a resident in Jax?
    It should be OK. I've seen some Mazda5 pics with 3 baby seats. It is good for short errands, day trips and even grocery store trips (if you fold half of the 3rd row seat, you could fit 1 or 2 portable strollers).

And yes, use the minivan for long trips or when traveling with full size strollers, no way around :D
  • kivokivo Member Posts: 64
    Does anyone have an accurate date when the new Mazda5s hit the dealers? I just found out I need a new catalytic converter which cost more than my car is worth!
  • andydicoandydico Member Posts: 12
    The last time I went to the dealer for a tune-up, I asked them when they're getting any 2008 Mazda5 and they said they might have some before the year ends.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    I just received my first shipment of Mazda5 brochures today. We expect the actual vehicles to be here before years end.

I must say, the improvements they made are just sensational. The car looks great, and the added features really show what a value the Mazda5 is.
  • eilroseilros Member Posts: 35
    Does anyone have invoice pricing for the 2008 Mz5?
  • day2day2 Member Posts: 2
    We got a 2008 Mazda5 (mt) yesterday. At the Wayne, NJ dealer.
    I think in voice on the Sport was around 17,500.
  • day2day2 Member Posts: 2
    in stock in NJ (Wayne Mazda) as of last week.
  • rsrtampaa3rsrtampaa3 Member Posts: 2
    I went to the Smoky Mountains of NC and rented a Mazda 5 for my family. There were 6 of us and a Chihuahua. We loved this car! I didn't want to give it back and I drive a Lexus IS350. I have always liked the looks of the Mazda and my parents have always owned Mazda's but driving it made me a true fan. It was easy to drive, fun in the twisties of the Blue Ridge Parkway and so easy to get in and out of. I'm looking for a good used one just for a second car....thats how much I liked it. I think the 2008 looks awesome also.
    what company did you rent the Mazda5?
    I've seen them as rentals in Hertz and Enterprise. Hertz now has Rondos as well, but if I ever rent a Mazda5 from Hertz and they try to get me a Rondo as a substitute (if the Mazda5s are gone at the time of pick-up), it would be a no-go :P
  • new_mazda_mannew_mazda_man Member Posts: 1
    I like the changes that came with the 2008 model, but am wondering whether they're worth the savings I could earn by going the route of a 2007... A local dealer offered the 2007 at $5000 (CND) less than the 2008. The 5-speed automatic is very tempting.

If I knew for certain that Mazda had cleaned up the issues with premature tire-wear as experienced by 2006 and 2007 owners, I'd jump to the 2008. Any inside scoops? Thoughts?

Thanks!