Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda5

1181920212224»

Comments

• vg33e powervg33e power Member Posts: 314
    Rookie question here, although I've had my MZ5 for 6 months now. Does anyone know if my 2006 MZ5 Touring auto came with factory alarm? I can't seem to set it off. If not, is it an added accessory? If anyone knows for sure please chime in. Thanks!
  • coolmazda5coolmazda5 Member Posts: 525
    I do believe only the Grand Tourings come with anti-theft/alarm (2008+ for sure, don't recall for the 2007 model). The rest only have the typical immobilizer thingie...
  • bjarnibearbjarnibear Member Posts: 1
    Just picked up a new 2009 Monday and love it. My wife has had a 2006 model we bought used a bit over a year ago. Got a better deal on a new one this time. The improvements made over th 2006 are fabulous such as auto climate control, rear air-conditioning vent. The new 5 speed automatic works smoother than the older 4 speed. All in all the perfect car for us, in town or on the road. Now I just need to add a roof rack for my bicycle.
    You own 2 Mazda5s and want one with racks? That is freaky :P

What color are they?

• dona83dona83 Member Posts: 67
    Import a fully loaded Mazda 5 GT with Luxury (leather) and NAVI package and 5 speed manual transmission from Canada. :)
  • katbugkatbug Member Posts: 2
    I know it's been a year since you posted the note, so I'm wondering if you ever were able to get the daytime running lights hooked up in your M5 GT?

I have a new 2009 here in the states, and I'm trying to find out how to get them hooked up here for safety reasons. So I'd like to ask again ... does anybody know how to do this?

I think if I just drove over the border to a dealer in Canada, he could probably hook them up for me ... but it's a bit of a drive so I'd rather do it here.

Thanks
  • vg33e powervg33e power Member Posts: 314
    So I took the plunge and trade it in my little Mazda5 for a 2007 Mazda CX-9...WOW!! what a difference. We needed more room and more cargo capacity and this thing is nicely loaded with leather, bluetooth, tri-climate control, etc...

Thank you for all your suggestions and information you can find me at the CX-9 forum.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    The next generation Mazda 5 will be pretty close to the upcoming Ford C-Max Grand (google it), which has the sliding doors and includes the 2nd row center folding seat currently available on the non-US versions of the Mazda 5. I'll wait for it and keep my current car another couple of years. MPG should be a lot better too.
  • vicenacvicenac Member Posts: 229
    Oh....
    I've seen this one some time ago. Before the picture showed up in the browser I felt really bad that I had to buy a car now. I've been thinking of leasing again and wait for the new one.
    And the pictures loads! Oh ja! I'm buying the 2010 MZ5 all right!
    The front looks nice, but the rear part of the vehicle is another story. I think the horizontal lamps are a mistake and also there is a lot of sheet metal over the rear wheel. Just ugly (French), to me.
    Now, that's not to say that the Mazda will look as horrid.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    I'm not so much interested in the exterior style of the C-Max Grand but of the extra seat in the second row, better engine and MPG.
    Yeah, it looks really nice in pics for the European spec (and sliding doors!), I hope they don't get rid of many goodies to make it price attractive in the US and I hope they bring the manual transmission (I really doubt it though)

How long it took to Ford to realize that the Mini MPV is good? 5 years? :D

• riproyriproy Member Posts: 57
    Hello,
    We have to replace the windshield on our 5, The OEM replacement would be 600$ CDN installed, the high price owing to the rain sensor. The non-rain sensing equivalent would be about half that cost. My question is, if we opt to go the non rain sensing route, would we lose the intermittent wipers setting?
  • bricknordbricknord Member Posts: 85
    Hello, considering purchase of a new Mazda5. Would love to get a stick shift. Can anyone tell me, who owns such a beast, what your indicated RPM is in 5th gear at a steady 60mph cruise, and at 70mph? Can't find one to test drive in a manual. Thanks!
  • pi_manpi_man Member Posts: 9
    The gearing is somewhat high, although it feels smooth to me (sometimes I forget to shift up to 5th) on the highway and then notice it when I look at the RPMs). I only saw your question now, so I can give an inexact answer. When I drive around 65, the RPMs are in the low 3000's (3100 - 3200). Doing the math would get you a bit under 3000 for 60 MPH and a bit under 3500 for 70 MPH. I sure wish it had a 6-speed manual so highway driving could be down around 2500 RPM. My 2000 MPV automatic did around 2700-2800 at 65 MPH and my 2005 MPV with the 3.0 engine was around 2200-2300 at the same speed. Did C4C with the 2000 MPV to get the M5 Sport Manual.
  • sir_timbitsir_timbit Member Posts: 39
    Better late than never! The 2010 Mazda 5 finally has available stability control. I was always surprised that was missing in this class of car.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnkHCJ4JBTw

A Mazda 5 ad that's been airing in Canada. :)
    Was in Montreal a couple of weeks back, you Canadians love Mazda5s :)

Having kids is never been cooler? Wait a minute :P
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    Got a great price on a Sport with the manual. Cool car so far.

But this thread seems pretty dead. Any owners out there still looking and posting?

I'm thinking of getting a roof rack. Any suggestions?

Best, Ben
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • katbugkatbug Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2009 Mazda5 GT and I'm still in love with it. I thought about getting a roof rack, but decided not to ... I did have the windows professionally tinted. And that worked out VERY well.
    katbug:

Ours came tinted and it looks pretty nice. But I wonder if it will cut down on vision at night. What's your thought on that?

Why did you decide against the roof rack? My thought was that in the rare time we'd be carrying six on the trip we'd need more room for a bit of luggage...
    I've thought about it too but i am concerned about wind noise. And i can't remember if you can take the bars off when you don't need them? Or are they on there permanently?
    edited April 2010
    Not a 2 minute thing, but the roof rack can be taken on and off (just make sure you keep the screws' protection tabs in a safe place). For wind noise, a fairing does the job very well
    First tank of gas got 24.8 mpg in a mix of about 60% city and 40% hwy. So, my numbers are just right in between the epa of 22 city and 28 hwy for my Mazda5 with the manual. I'm happy...

Has anyone ever taken a Mazda 5 with the luggage rack through a car wash? I know I can remove it, but if I don't need to...
  • craigmricraigmri Member Posts: 243
    In July I'm due for a new company car and have a choice between a new Toyota Rav4 and the Mazda5.

I'm leaning towards the Mazda5 because it has a lift gate(to get out of the rain while gathering tools) opposed to Toyotas swing gate. The Mazda5 appears to have a little more cargo room. The Mazda5 looks cooler and has Zoom-Zoom.

I am a little concerned about the engine(toyota has 25 or so more hp) and of course the tire wear/noise/suspension issues that are all over the net on the Mazda5.

Do the 2010's still have the same tire/suspension issues?
    Which of the above mentioned vehicles would you select?

Craig
    I'd say get a Mazda5, it is a company car so you should be a little bit less worried about resale value and known issues, which I'm sure they are mostly addressed after 5 years in the market.

All this is compensated by the flexibility and fun to drive factors. I've rented a RAV4 once and it is sooo boring, although it has some good features
  • craigmricraigmri Member Posts: 243
    Cool,

I tend to agree with you. The Rav4 looks dated and generic. While I'm sure it has decent driving dynamics it just screams low-end small SUV to me when I see them on the road. In addition I think the swing to the side door is stupid. It also seems to have a slightly smaller cargo carrying capacity than the 5 which is important to me.

I drove a 5 yesterday and enjoyed the test. I did notice however that the tires seemed like they had a flat spot for the first 5 miles or so. The car had 11 miles on it and was built 1/2010 so i'm assuming because it sat a while the tires developed a flat spot that took some run-out to work loose??

Craig
    edited May 2010
    The tire wear problems were common in the 06s and still linger on in rare 07+ models. My 07 is flawless. The only thing is that the suspension system which is identical to the one for the 3 is a bit undersized, you will need to check the wheel alignment once a year.

What the 5 lacks in the power department, it makes up for it in the handling department. Driving on twisty mountain roads always leaves me with a smile, it's got a bit more body roll than a 3 but the 5 still takes curves confidently. I have a 5 speed manual so it helps make the most of what engine power I have, but the 5 speed automatic is not bad so I heard.

Noise is above average compared to other compact cars, and the cargo space is phenomenal. The RAV4 is good vehicle but I love my 5, you'll love it too!
  • romodomeromodome Member Posts: 13
    I finally got to drive my new Mazda 5 and I was checking it all out, and I noticed the third row, when flat has just a thin piece of plywood covered with the carpeting to protect it. The rear area, where the tools and extra tire are was lifted and you can see the thin pice of plywood sticking out. I started pressing down on it and was suprised how soft it was. Now, I dont ususally put heavy stuff in there, but I now have the fear that it may crack or not last a long time. Anyone else notice this or have problems with it. I noticed on my CRV, with the 2nd row down, its a hard plastic shell that is firm to the touch and I have handled heavy tile and wood flooring for my house, but I cant imagine the Mazda being to handle much more then pillows and light luggage without it getting damaged. Well, that was the only negative I found it the car, its been good so far.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    I never noticed an issue. I've carried quite heavy stuff in there. As a matter of fact, just last weekend, I ran to the recycle place with, among other things, a box of scrap car parts that weighed over 100 lbs. I actually lifted it into the car using a 1/16" flat of aluminum and the aluminum bent under the strain. No problems once in the car.

I haven't really taken note, but if its anything like my G35, the board is supported by what is underneath, so it does not need to support a load on its own. It really is just a cover.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• kubus_gtkubus_gt Member Posts: 31
    I can't find the info, but does anyone know when the 5 had the auto tranny switched from 4 speed to 5 speed?
    I decided to start looking for a used one to replace my Protege 5, however I just found that the TCS and Stability system are new in 2010 so maybe it would be wiser to go with new. Especially that the super fugly redesign is coming in spring next year.
    Heck, I never knew it came with a 4-speed.
    But per the specs here on edmunds, the switch happened in '08.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Hello,
    Does anyone have some information on how to replace the right side mirror on the M5? We dinged ours getting into the garage. The body coloured piece if about $CDN40 to replace but we will have to replace the whole assembly, about $190. Any advice on where to go to DIY would be much appreciated, if DIY is at all possible.
    Thanks for your help.
  • athenasiusathenasius Member Posts: 118
    I will have to dig out my manual to see if it tells how to remove it. If I was to guess without looking that the inner cover(inside the car at the point where the mirror is) would have to be removed there are probably screws holding the mirror on. you may have to take it completely off to replace the one part but again I have not looked at the manual yet.
  • neveramzdaneveramzda Member Posts: 1
    I got my 2009 Mazda new May 2009. I paid cash. I regret it! First week it didnt want to start. It still has this issue. They say it won't duplicate. I have 42000 miles now. At 6000 miles the engine started sounding like a sqreaching flock of birds resides in the engine. I've taken it in 4 times. The first time it duplicated. They said it's normal. It got much loader. The 4th time yesterday they heard it but said they won't fix it. They need to hear more. They said they don't want to help me. This was in Knoxville TN. It always does it when it's started but I live 45 min from. It also hesitates when going down the freeway at high speeds. You can feel it jump. This happens weekly or more. I have poor visibility out the back passenger side. If people are in the car it's worse. Even children in car sears obstruct my view to where it is dangerous. (I'm 5'4") I do not recommend this car. The MPV was good, but this is junk. It sounds like junk. What is worse is they refuse to fix anything. 2 dealers won't repair warranty work and they are rude about it. Even when it duplicates they put in writing it doesn't. Americans do not need company's like this. If anyone starts a class action suit...I"M IN!!!! Don't be taken advantage of! Also even children can't fit in the rear seats. There is no leg room for a 3 yr old. I have an infant and the way the seat fits no one can sit behind her. The car really only fits 4 right. Plus the 3 yr olds legs get smashed because the seat has to slide and there is no room. She has been injured several times....it's a broken leg waiting to happen! :confuse:
    There is no such thing as a blind spot if you know how to use your mirrors properly. Besides, how did you not notice it BEFORE you bought it?

The legroom thing makes no sense to me since, at 6'5", my mother-in-law would sit behind me in the 2nd row and my wife would sit behind her in the 3rd row. Everybody had enough room. And on the other side, we had my 5'10" father-in-law, a rear-facing carseat in row 2, and my 4-year-old in booster in the 3rd row. We followed this configuration on several occassions. Never a complaint from anyone.

Finally, as to your mechanical problems, take it to another dealer. What's more, the lemon law in most states gives a dealer 3 chances to fix the same problem. It seems like you have surpassed that, so you should be talking to a lawyer.

• telegramsamtelegramsam Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the market for a new vehicle and am considering the M5 and a larger minivan. My concern is those 3 or 4 times a year when we have all 3 kids + luggage on a long family trip. The minivan may be the most practicable in terms of space, but I really like the M5.

Are there any of you with three kids that could tell me how it works out for you? I'm considering buying a roof rack and a Thule carrier, but I just don't know if it will be enough room...
  • burkartburkart Member Posts: 2
    Compare the money you save on purchase price and running costs relative to a full-size minivan and compare it to what you'd pay for rental of a full-size those few times you need it. For us (two kids rather than three, admittedly) owning the 5 and renting a full-sizer a couple of times a year is much more cost effective. Plus the 5 is more fun to drive and much easier to park, wash, etc. We do occasionally (e.g., for IKEA runs where we want to bring furniture home) rent a full size. We even own a set of IR headphones as most of the rentals have DVD systems now.
  • mazdafan12mazdafan12 Member Posts: 1
    You are correct about almost everyone. Your best bet is to call the store and ask for the Internet Sales Manager. The next step is to test his/her knowledge and to see if they are slimy or are a good person. There is a lot to be said about a quality salesman than a [non-permissible content removed] and it seems most of the quality ends up in the Internet Department. (disclaimer: Use your judgment! If the Retail Management is involved, then RUN.) :D
  • stillageekstillageek Member Posts: 114
    Did you research the car before you bought it to make sure it fit your family? I had 5 adult and a 2 year old in my Mazda5 without problem. Adults ranged from 5'3 to 5'11. Before I buy any car I test fit it. Just makes sense.

As far as the issues you are having, even Lexus makes a bad car. I had my 2008 Mazda5 for 3 years, but just 20K miles. It never had a problem beyond sub par tires.
  • tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    Gee, your first post. Looks like a troll to me.
    +1, troll

"Don't be taken advantage of!" :)
  • jinujinu Member Posts: 1
    Anyone read when the Mazda5 will get the new SkyActiv engine and chassis? This would be the perfect machine with 28 mpg city and 40ish mpg hwy.
    I hope soon! Earliest would be 2013, but it may take longer than that...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited November 2011
    A reporter is interested in talking with parents who own a 2011 or 2012 Kia Optima, Kia Sorento, Hyundai Elantra, Ford Focus, Honda Fit, Honda Odyssey, Mazda 5, Subaru Outback, Dodge Durango, or Toyota Sienna. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than Friday, November 30, 2011 and include your city and state of residence, the model year of your vehicle and the age of your child/ren.

Thanks for your consideration,
    Pamela

Pamela Morris
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds Inc.
  • davichodavicho Member Posts: 190
    So for those of you that are annal (like me) and can't stand just letting the fuel cap hang while filling up and with time eventually make scratches on the quarter panel, or if your fuel cap has lost its tether....

I bought a fuel cap holder that Honda sells for one or a few of their vehicles. It is part #74423-SP0-000 list price $5.50

The holder has (5) plastic tabs in the back where it would clamp on to the fuel lid, but we wont need those. So carefully slice them off with a razor blade or knife. Now that you have a nice flat surface add so double-sided tape and adhere to the middle of the fuel lid...VOILA!

Now you have a fuel cap holder
  • dave594dave594 Member Posts: 218
    My wife's 2008 Mazda 5 has had both rear struts go bad. The car has about 50k miles on it and is just out of warranty. I've read a lot of online discussions about the bad strut problems in Mazda 3s and 5s, and it would seem the manufacturer is aware of the problem but has not decided to fix the reliability issue in these models. I've owned a few Hondas, Toyotas, and two Fords over the years and they have never had any strut problems even at over 120k miles. Having two go bad on a car with 50k miles of gentle driving does not instill confidence in the longterm reliability of the brand. It's a nice car, but I don't want to worry about what else is going to go wrong now that it's out of warranty.