Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda5

Comments

• driverinvadriverinva Member Posts: 14
    The one on the link does look like the one in the dealer's accessory brochure. I, too, like the look of most factory-installed ones better, but we decided we'd get one of these for those times when we'll need to throw stuff on top. I especially like the fact that it's removable, so we can put it on just for the trips and take it off the rest of the time.
    I'm in Northern Va. outside of DC. Love the new car. It's working well in this traffic up here!
  • fabsfabs Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone heard from a recall? :( :mad:
  • carquerycarquery Member Posts: 35
    I've been test driving too many vechiles to mention to find something that works for my family of 4 (4-year old and a 4-month old, plus stroller and other trunk gear). I currenlty have an Acura MDX, which I like for the comfort and driving pleasure, but find the 3rd row fairly useless since I have two car seats in the 2nd row. Plus, it needs premium fuel and only gets about 15-16MPG in the city which is where I do the bulk of my driving.

I seem to be down to the MPV ES (leather and the works so my wife doesn't miss the luxurious feel of the Acura so much and afforts us seating for 7 in a pinch) vs. the Mazda5 (after-market leather...easier with kids spills; better MPG for the city, not as big as the MPV).

I just watched the first-look video on Edmunds and the only concern was about the engine. They mentioned that on hills (with a decent load) that the engine felt strained. I'm wondering if any of the 5 owners out there have some real world experience that they could share.

Also any thoughts on the 5 vs. the MPV would be welcome...I like them both and it seems like the MPV's are heavily discounted so the prices really aren't that far apart. The MPV might be a big more vehicle than I need, but sometimes that is handy. I like driving them both, but prefer the manual on the 5, but that's not a dealbreaker. If the city MPG (or overall MPG) is very different, that would sway me one way or the other.

Since I live in CT, I had hoped to get at least traction control (available on the MPV, I think), but figure I can get snow tires for whichever vehicle I end up with.

Finally, I'm assuming that Mazda will make some changes to the 5 at some point to address some of the concerns that have been mentioned (ac venting, DVD, HP tweaking, traction control). Does anyone know anything about mid-model year updates that might be worth wating for?

A lot of questions, I know...any input would be really helpful.

LJB
  • pir8mattpir8matt Member Posts: 45
    Unfortunately, that hit of power also signals the point when the A/C compressor turns off. Thats less fun here in Florida, where its really hot.
  • pir8mattpir8matt Member Posts: 45
    Carquery: Check out the problems and solutions section regarding the recall on the Mazda5. A problem of an indeterminate nature might sway your choice. Actually, its made it for you, since it would appear that they aren't going to be able to sell the 5 for a little while, anyway.
  • bypasskidbypasskid Member Posts: 57
    yeah,

my mazda5 was recalled yesterday, dealer said they do not yet know why it was recalled, something safety related, told me shouldn't take more than 3-4 days to fix it. nothing on the web yet either. :mad: :cry:
  • mazdasidmazdasid Member Posts: 9
    Got the call yesterday and took the car in today. From what I was told there is a safety problem with the exhaust that could catch on fire while driving. I was told that when the car was stopped and turned off it was safe. There will be letters sent out but my dealership contacted me before I had received it. Couple of things 1) at least they are telling us now, unlike recent other companies in the news that waited 10 years to tell anyone. 2) You should get a loaner car for the duration of the fix, no charge. I was told it could take up to a month to fix due to parts availability. I am sad I am having to do this but, so far the experience has been nicely taken care of by the dealership.
  • dabatmandabatman Member Posts: 25
    I sold my 2002 Odyssey last night with the plan to buy a Mazda 5 today. I went to the lot and there were NONE there, they were all inside the garage and they would't/couldn't sell it to me......

I have a buyer of my van expecting to take it this week.... I'm going to ask if I buy the van, can I have a loner in the mean time... I'm not sure if they'd do that... but I'm stuck if they don't....

If anyone hears anything, could you please reply or post it?

Thanks
    Yes,
    I, too, got the call yesterday from the dealer (and an e-mail from a Mazda VP last night) and took the car in today. I was also told that it was a safety problem with the exhaust. That it was with the bracket that holds the muffler on and that if the car idles for a long period of time in high heat it may catch on fire, so they want to replace the bracket before any mishaps actually happen. I was also told that they have not finished redesigning the new bracket and that's why it may take up to a month to get it out to the dealers.
    The dealer was very accommodating. We picked up an MPV today and it was ready and waiting for us. It only took a few minutes to move our things from the M5 to the MPV and be shown the features of the MPV and be on our way.

The MPV drove fine, but I love my Mazda5 and have only had it three weeks. I already miss it, especially since we were considering it my birthday present and today is my birthday. The last thing that I wanted to do was turn it back over to the dealer today. :cry:
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Mazda is taking some very pro-active steps to handle this situation as best they can....I suggest you call the dealership and explain your situation to the sales manager or general manager....They should try to help out.
    I spoke to the salesman (Bour Mazda Scranton Pa) and they said they'd give me a loner if I until the fix is in for the recall.... which is nice since I already sold my other van and was expecting to buy the mazda 5 today.

Also, they DO take the Ford Family plan discount.... which brought the car down to invoice ($18300 Sport with automatic and sunroof) plus I'm getting the Gerber discount.. which makes the total $17,800

Does anyone know if the MP3 player CD actually has an input for my MP3 player, or does it just play MP3 formatted CD's?
    STATEMENT: 2006 MAZDA5 EXHAUST SYSTEM OVERHEAT

The exhaust system of the MAZDA5 could have a safety-related problem that may cause a fire. Although only three instances have been reported, and there have been no injuries, Mazda will be initiating an aggressive campaign to repair all of the approximately 2,700 affected vehicles. Customers will receive a formal recall notification at a later date.

Mazda today began requesting all MAZDA5 owners contact their local Mazda dealers to initiate the repair process as soon as possible. Mazda will provide all customers with replacement transportation at no cost.

http://media.ford.com/mazda/article_display.cfm?article_id=21615&CFID=2986160&CFTOKEN=4367- 222a149992d7-6537863E-1185-6A02-D8F86FE83BE2D027&jsessionid=8a304cd4ed7f$CD$FD$D
  • frank4carsfrank4cars Member Posts: 98
    Just until you get below 80% throttle. Light foot=cold foot. Lead foot=hot foot.
  • nola1nola1 Member Posts: 18
    I got an email about the recall. I have evacuated to Houston from Metairie, LA. Will be returning soon. I haven't been able to reach Mazda to find out if it is safe to drive home and take care of the recall then.

I would hate to have to leave my car in Houston for a month and then have to come back to pick it up.

BTW, my 5 has been great in Houston traffic and interstates, and I would be lost without the navagation system.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    you should contact a local dealer in Houston and also Mazda. The likelyhood something could happen is slim but a fire is a dangerous thing....I stronly suggest you park the car.
    Well, I left my car at a dealer in Houston. The first dealer told me they would give me another car, but I couldn't leave the state with it. The second dealer told me the same, that they use Enterprise leasing and I couldn't leave the state. The third dealer used Hertz, because the MPVs Mazda gave them couldn't be taken out of state.

So I got a white MPV, the only color I did not want. But Houston was short of vans, so I didn't have a choice.

Now, with a hurricane coming toward Houston, I am evacuating again. So I returned to Louisiana yesterday. Although I do have electricity and a sporatic phone service and no cable, I feel lucky to have had only a few inches of water in my house. (The mold is taking over).

Well, I guess I have to make a return trip to Houston when it is fixed. I just hope Texas doesn't have the problems we had with Katrina.
  • dnotednote Member Posts: 1
    Our dealer phoned today and gave us the notice. he is very apologetic and will give us a replacement car (or van ) while the work is done. Good on em.
    I will however miss the "5". I have put about 10.000 km (6000 miles) on it and have driven it through every type of weather and terrain known to man (other than extreme cold). Through the rocky mountains, along the coast, and through the dessert. I love it. I have no complaints with it other than the paint quality seems cheaper than most (easily chipped).

All our best to you folks in the south. I wish you safety and security.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Mazda halts production, sale of 2006 crossover vehicle
    http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050927/BUSINESS/509270370/1003

Washington (AP) -- Mazda Motor Corp. said Monday it had halted the sale and production of the 2006 Mazda5 crossover because a potential heat buildup in the exhaust system could lead to a fire.

PF Flyer
    Host
    News & Views, Wagons, & Hybrid Vehicles

The weekly Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • jagsouthjagsouth Member Posts: 5
    Just saw a post that implies that the fix iwill be software solution. Any updates?
  • melonyamelonya Member Posts: 1
    I have just a little over 3,000 on my new mazda 5. We love it. I am dying without it. When I dropped it off it took about 3 hours to get into a different car and drive away....a 2005 Mazda 3. Which I might add feels much smaller. I asked the service man..do you really think it will take 30 days...and his response was "for all I know they could send you a letter next month asking to buy the car back from you!". I want to learn more about the "incidents" did people smellsomething? Was there actually a fire? I want to have a full disclosure. I didn't get the ford family discount..I did get an internet quote from Langs Mazda in Dayton and they pulled the bait and switch telling me is was a typo for the touring model at 18,500. I did get Matt Casstroci to match that price though. Way to go on the Gerber discount. I need to check into these discounts more obviously!!!! It is my understanding to get actual MP3's to play you have to by the player and add it with the "media package".
    I sure hope I can keep my 5! I love it too much to give it up!!!!
    melonya
  • wrubertewruberte Member Posts: 12
    Well it looks like Mazda is making some good inroads
    as after speaking with Mazda Customer Service it looks
    like a means for the repair the defect has been determined
    and is awaiting approval from

1) Mazda Executives
    2) NHTSA

Once this occurs it will have to filter down to the service
    department at the local Mazda Dealerships along with
    the shipment of necessary manufactured parts to prevent
    the overheating issue.
  • smariasmaria Member Posts: 279
    along with the shipment of necessary manufactured parts to prevent
    the overheating issue.

So, you've confirmed with Mazda that it's a mechanical fix, not a software fix? I've heard rumors of both.
  • poohbah75poohbah75 Member Posts: 41
    I guess I should note this when I go test-drive one tomorrow afternoon. Somehow I figure that I'll be more knowledgable than the salesperson on this one... ;)
    Are you in a non-North American market? All of them are supposed to be locked up and off limits here until a fix is implemented.
  • smariasmaria Member Posts: 279
    The sales person is letting you test-drive one in MD?
    MazdaUSA would be very very unhappy to hear that...they're all supposed to be off of the streets because of the recall.

Steve
  • c2rosac2rosa Member Posts: 76
    MAZDA HALTS PRODUCTION OF CROSSOVER .... Mazda Motor Corp. has halted the sale and production of the 2006 Mazda5 crossover because a potential heat buildup in the exhaust system could lead to a fire, the Associated Press reported.

Mazda has recalled about 2,000 of the Mazda5s that have already been sold and told dealers not to sell another 700 still on dealership lots. The Mazda5, which seats six but is smaller than a typical minivan, first became available in the United States during the summer.

Production of the vehicle, expected at 10,000 to 15,000 in North America, has been suspended while the company investigates the incidents.

The potential defect is not believed to affect vehicles in Japan and Europe, the report stated
  • wolfym5wolfym5 Member Posts: 1
    Saw a few blurbs but still not sure.

MP3 CDs do they work with the standard M5 system (I have touring edition)

Satellite radio, seems the guts underneath the shiny metal is the same unit they put in several cars, does anyone know if the Sat built-ins work. Or is there another option (other than a Sat radio with an FM broadcast), similarly any way for direct Ipod connection?

Thanks
    Steve

glad they recalled the M5 otherwise the Mazda jingle might become
    Zoom-Zoom-Boom :-)
    I contacted him via phone and e-mail today to set up the test drive tomorow, but I didn't specifically ask about the recall issue. My guess is that this is another case where the prospective buyer is more knowledgable than the salesperson. I dropped him another e-mail, asking him to check with his service manager and respond, but it sounds like I won't be test-driving tomorrow (or anytime in the next month or two, apparently). I'm hoping that Mazda gets all of this ironed out before I'm actually ready to purchase (Dec-Jan). I was somewhat interested in changing the exhaust system anyway after I got it, hopefully in combo with a cold-air intake to get a bit more power. Nothing is officially out for the M5 yet, but there are some available for the 3. Anyone know where in the system the overheating issue was located? Just the muffler, or the cat, or something over the piping route? :cry:
    Actually, don't sweat the "where was the problem" bit--an earlier posting said something about a bracket overheating, and the replacement having to be redesigned and cleared by Mazda corporate and NHTSA before it actually gets shipped out to dealers for replacement. :P
  • chacobleuchacobleu Member Posts: 228
    They are too busy e-mailing their spouses or significant others during down time at work. They don't have enough time to learn more about the vehicles they try to sell others. Nor do they have time to surf important sites such as NHTSA for further details about any recall or investigation, whether its the car they sell or the car they drive.

If you want the most current detail about the recall, go to NHTSA. That is where all other media are getting their info. Here is a good link addressing the exhaust issue:
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/RepositoryFiles.cfm?module=RECALLS&IfsDocId=05V- 412

Oh, while you're at it and if you have time, look up vehicles thay your spouse, mom, sibling, friend or signifcant other may be driving. It is a priceless and inexpensive gift or gesture the one could give or do for another.
  • chacobleuchacobleu Member Posts: 228
    I'm not sure of the official classification, but in the recall notice NHTSA referS to the Mazda 5 as a sport utility vehicle.

Now, add AWD, 6 speed MT, & a turbocharger and it has my vote.
    Thanks for the NHTSA link. I'm still going today just to check the car out and see how big it is inside--I'm hoping the "dual-position liftgate" will allow me to finally not hit my head on the underside of a car's liftgate. I have heard some rumors of adding AWD later this year or next, but haven't heard anything solid. The turbo is still an option, as previously noted. I don't know about a 6-speed MT, though--I think only the Miata/MX-5 has one? I'd be happy to get all three together, then I can take my family rallying in a "space wagon" ;)
    From Mazdausa website:

"To further ignite the effort, Mazda and the New York Fire Department (FDNY) are joining forces to throw Hot in the City - a "heated," star-studded, private bash" :blush:

Any word on when our 5s will be ready? My local dealer is still recovering from Katrina, they don't have any updates. They had 2 5s in stock. One had the roof crash in on it, and the other was stolen.
  • vinnyfastvinnyfast Member Posts: 33
    I miss my Mazda 5...didn't have it for 2 weeks....now I wish I didn't bring it in....dealer says it'll take about a month to fix.....in reality that's probably 2!! :cry:
    I feel sick having dropped mine off at the dealer 2 days ago after only having driven it for 2 weeks and 1500km. I went back the next day and asked for it back but they said no way!!...This is like a bad movie! I hate the rental car, and it's the second one already-didn't like the first one. I should never have brought it in!!!
    My dealer said it might take even longer than a month. I'll sell it back to them, but at twice the price I paid for!!!!!!!!!!!
  • pappy55pappy55 Member Posts: 41
    Well, being the procrastinator that I am, I waited till the last minute to go test drive the Mazda5 for the $35 gift card. The promo expires 9/30/05. Went to the dealer today, and sure enough, all the Mazda 5s were locked away and my salesperson basically said "sorry". So I email Mazda USA. Their response? They're going to extend the promo deadline 30 days. Woo hoo!
  • petero1petero1 Member Posts: 7
    I went back to the dealer to see if any work was done, and my car has been moved to a compound off the dealer property, maybe for long term storage? Does anyone know how long the "fix" will take? Does it have to do with different specifications than the european exhaust systems?
  • coastercoaster Member Posts: 46
    A memo just sent to dealers by Mazda indicates that the parts for the fix should be in the hands of the dealers by the end of October. Do they really have to keep our cars all that time??
  • clownthebobo1clownthebobo1 Member Posts: 3
    Just curious, what kind of loaner vehicles did the dealer offer everyone? The first one we got was a Hertz Rental Mazda 6. The dealer knew that I needed a bigger car so a week later, they called me up and told me that they had a brand new fully loaded MPV ES waiting for me. FYI, the dealership we worked with has excellent customer service from day 1. The wife and I really miss the 5 though..... :(:(
    What's this about a Blockbuster gift card? Just for test-driving? I went on a "test-sit" yesterday (and drove a 3 sedan to feel the drivetrain--pretty quick and fun to drive), but didn't know anything about it. According to another post, there's no guarantee that the 5 will even be test-drivable in 30 more days, if the parts won't be coming in until the end of October. :cry:
    I asked Mazda why there website said there were no mentions of a recall, and how long will it be before there is a fix. There response follows:

Thanks for contacting Mazda.

In regards to your inquiry, please remember that this program was initiated by Mazda in advance of a recall being released. Recalls are imposed federally, but we wanted to make sure hat we addressed any concerns on our new MAZDA5 as soon as possible. As such, the recall has not yet been structured officially and would not be listed through actual recall information systems yet. You'll also receive an official recall notice soon, but we wanted to be able to communicate this campaign to you in advance.

Please be certain that it is only in the interest of ensuring that your vehicle is safe that we take this precautionary measure. This vehicle has just been launched and we want to make sure that any possible recall needs are met immediately.

We are finalizing the repair procedure and will issue complete instructions to our dealers so they may return cars to customers as soon as possible. Developments have ben made for the completion of this recall and are nearly finished, but we do not yet have a final date for vehicle release. As noted when you were originally contacted, this process may take up to 30 days from the date that you brought your vehicle in. While it is likely to be sooner, we can not promise a date yet until all completion processes have been finalized and put into place at your dealership.

Until hat time, please feel free to use the loaner vehicle provided to you by your Mazda dealership. Your dealership will also provide you with updates as they are available.

The MAZDA5 is the most talked-about new vehicle in our lineup and one that has generated some of the best word-of-mouth sales we've ever seen. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused and for interrupting the enjoyment and driving pleasure of your new MAZDA5.
  • pappy55pappy55 Member Posts: 41
    I signed up on the Mazda website awhile back for more information on the Mazda5. I received the Blockbuster promo in the mail about a month ago.
    It's going to be even more talked about now with this recall.....I haven't heard the end of it from family, work, friends, and I have to visit the american only car buying inlaws in 2 weeks!!!....everybody told me not to buy a first year model new car.....I disagree with them all!!!...even with a recall, at least they didn't wait like Ford for 40 or 50 people to die first before initiating one!
    You miss it?!! I'm depressed without mine!!, barely had it 2 weeks!! At least you got another Mazda, they sent me to out for a rental. First I got a Mitsibushi Galant....here's a car I wouldn't take for free!!....was making me car sick on the highway to work. So I went back to the dealer and demanded my car back. They said no way, because of safety. My gut feeling told me not to be so quick to bring it in, but when you have kids, you don't want to take any chances. So they gave me a Pontiac Montana....this is like driving a school bus!!!, and I won't mention about the parking!..Tomorrow I'm trading this again for a chev colbalt....all this in only 3 days....wasting my time!! better get my M5 back soon..... :cry:
  • wrubertewruberte Member Posts: 12
    After speaking with Mazda USA Customer Service a moment
    ago, it looks like positive news.

The problem of overheating according to the representative was
    an issue whereby the driver uses the manual mode of the Sport Trim
    shiftronic transmissions (the ones capable of switching between
    automatic and manual). When left in the gear and not shifted to
    a higher gear the engine strains and overheats. The representative
    indicated that the a extra heat shield for the exhaust is being
    installed as a result.
  • leirahsleirahs Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering when the official recall was made because I was the 2 person in my country in returning Mazda 5. Does anymore knows, because if they sell it, knowing the car had a problem, it will not be fair to the buyers. I was driving the same car for 8 years and Mazda 5 was a dreams, I miss it so much!!
    I wonder what it is about the 5 that causes this problem--It's the same engine and chassis as the 3, and I can only assume it has the same or similar exhaust piping. To my knowledge, there have been no problems in this area with the 3. Anyone know what's up? :confuse:
    The 5 is a little bigger and I would assume there are slight variations due to the different packaging requirements for the spare tire, gas tank, etc. so it is probably a similar, but different, exhaust and different hangers. Technically, the engine is different too. Less hp, more torque. BTW, I tested my rental MZ3 out today and it would be fairly easy to reach highway speeds in second gear. I was doing 65 at less than 7,000 RPM. I did about 20 miles like that :blush: and didn't feel any additional heat or smell anything melting when I stopped. It is certainly very loud, but for me the biggest tipoff is that speed drops rapidly if you back out of the throttle. No coasting like when you are in a higher gear. The problem is that I can't figure out how people remembered to shift from first to second but forgot to shift up to third or fourth. Weird.
  • sandiegoguysandiegoguy Member Posts: 27
    The reason it is "weird" is because it didn't happen. Mazda will fix the cars and make them perfect. They did a great job with the recall (so far). But the second gear story is a sham. I believe conjured up just to cover for the engineering mistake. Many companies and governments do this. (or at least we suspect they do ;) ).

Thanks for doing the test and illustrating another piece of the puzzle that suggests the story is a fake. I never noticed my MZ5 doing a second gear start. Maybe these fictional drivers forget they had two more gears?

Did you calculate you gas mileage in second gear?

If this is the real problem why the new heat shield and programing change to the aut trans ECU?

Maybe I don't want any of those changes since I plan on using all the gears.