Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda5

Comments

• fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Remember the first Honda Odyssey? It was a smaller than the curret model and also had a 2.3 L engine. Except for the Ody's length they are almost the same in every dimension.

1998 ODYSSEY--Seven passenger

Wheelbase 111.4
    Length 187.6
    Height 64.6
    Width 70.6

Horsepower 150 @ 5600rpm

Torque 152 ftpd

EPA city/hwy 21/26 reg

Engine 2.3 L I-4 SOHC

Displacement 2253cc

Weight 3472

Turning circle 37.7 ft (Could not make a U-turn)

Track 60.0 inch

Headroom 40.1/39.3/37.5

Leg room 40.7/40.2/34.0

Shoulder room 57.1/57.9/47.6

Cargo w/seats folded 93.5cu.ft

Wheels 15-inch Steel w/covers

Tires - All season P205/65/R15

Brakes front/rear Disc/disc No ABS

Airbags Front only

MSRP $23,450

Vs.

2006 Mazda5--Five passenger

Wheelbase 108.3
    Length 181.5
    Height 64.2
    Width 69.1

Horsepower 157 @ 6500rpm

Torque 148 ftpd @ 4500rpm

EPA 21/26 reg

Displacement 2260cc

Engine 2.3 L I-4 DOHC

Weight 3389 lbs

Turning circle 34.8 ft (Can make a U-turn in one motion)

Track 60.2 inch

Headroom 40.7/39.4/37.1

Legroom 45.5/35.2/30.7

Shoulder room 55.5/35.2/30.7

Cargo w/seats folded 44cu.ft

Wheels 17-inch Alloys

Tires P205/50/R17 -89V

Brakes front/rear Disc/disc w/ABS

Airbags Front/SAB/SAC

MSRP $18,895 base price plus $900 for A/T

That's a big difference considering the Mazda5 has more standard equipment -- the Ody didn't have a CD player, didn't offer NAV, did not have audio controls on steering wheel, had only tilt wheel, and the A/T shifter was on the steering column. Rear doors were hinged, no sliding doors.

I haven't driven the Mazda5, but I owned a '98 Ody for three years and it was one of the best riding vehicles I have ever owned. It did lean in sharp turns and around bends. The seats were wider. Front seats had flat bolsters.

fowler3
  • waterfallrunnewaterfallrunne Member Posts: 1
    I have installed an aftermarket towing hitch on my 5. The tongue weight is very low (200 lbs) and is not the standard (2 inch I think) size but rather the smaller (1.5 inch). Not a problem but you'll have to have to get the smaller draw bars. As for the towing itself I'm not real happy. My 5 is the manual and once you get going it's not too bad but starting from a light or even worse on a hill is tough. The lack of low end power makes you have to really ride the clutch to get it going.
    Wonder why some entrepreneur doesn't offer a camping package for these new CUVs? It would be really cool to have a tent with an awning which attaches over the rear hatch in the raised position. Shorter family members and kids could sleep in the Mazda5, adults in the tent. Make a package with a cook stove and folding camp chairs. And an ice chest designed for the cargo area.

With the cost of gas high and probably going higher people could still go camping on weekends to nearby parks, lakes and attractions such as music events. No motor home required.

fowler3
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    How much are you trying to pull? I have a Class I receiver (1 1/4") on mine and I pull my 4x6 utility trailer with ease. I have had no problem towing 3 dirt bikes with riding gear, EZ-up, etc. However, I wouldn't expect the 5 to pull much more than 1500lbs.

If you are in danger of burning clutches, you should really consider something that is made for towing instead of one that (in the US) suggests that towing is a no no.
    More on seat covers:

I checked the Yellow Pages for my area, the Triad in NC, and found several places that make seat covers. Look in the Yellow Pages in your location for general listings: Automobile Seat Covers and/or Automobile Trim and Upholstering. Many shops that do body repair also do trim and leather kit installations, but I would think those who specialize in seats would do a better job.

If leather is what you want find the shop that installs kits from Classic Soft Trim, http://www.classicsofttrim.com for higher quality leather than OEM. They have two grades.

For those who want fabric seat covers look for the listings above.

Recalling the last time I had worn seats recovered the shop did not replace the old fabric and vinyl bolsters with new material, which is what I expected them to do. They removed the worn seat covers and sewed new fabric and vinyl over them. This saved time in having to cut to the pattern of each piece and provided a stronger base for the new materials. Less stretch less apt to wear out again. And you pay for only the material used.

Here is how you, or the shop, can avoid the side airbag problem with new covers.

1) Use the OEM seat cover fabrics and have the shop put new fabric (if you are changing color and pattern) on just the face of the seats, the topside of seats and backrests.

2) Leave the black fabric on the sides as-is so that the covers will match the side airbag points. You will buy less fabric and make it easier to cover all six seats in one day.

3) Like leather kits, full seat covers would cover the seats entirely including the black felt-like materail Mazda puts on the folding seat backs for carrying cargo (middle and back rows). You want to keep this. But if you want the seat backs to match the seat fronts in color or harmonizing pattern -- then use commercial grade loop pile carpeting or Berber to be realy modern and replace the black felt fabric. Cheaper carpet would have thinner backing material making it easy to just sew it over the felt.

4) If you want the gray fabric panels on the doors to be changed to the new seat fabric this would be extra cost, but it would also be a good time to upgrade door-mounted speakers while the panels are off. While the seat cover shop works on the seats remove one speaker and take it to an audio shop for size and mounting points. Install the new speakers before the guys put the door panels back on. Saves labor costs later.

Also for people in the north with cold winters, use the same idea of saving the OEM seat fabrics and have real or faux fleece sewn on. Old becomes new again.

Getting the panels off sliding doors can't be easy.

This whole process shouldn’t take more than one day if the shop is good at what it does.

fowler3
    More on seat covers:

I checked the Yellow Pages for my area, the Triad in NC, and found several places that make seat covers. Look in the Yellow Pages in your location for general listings: Automobile Seat Covers and/or Automobile Trim and Upholstering. Many shops that do body repair also do trim and leather kit installations, but I would think those who specialize in seats would do a better job.

If leather is what you want find the shop that installs kits from Classic Soft Trim, http://www.classicsofttrim.com for higher quality leather than OEM. They have two grades.

For those who want fabric seat covers look for the listings above.

Recalling the last time I had worn seats recovered the shop did not replace the old fabric and vinyl bolsters with new material, which is what I expected them to do. They removed the worn seat covers and sewed new fabric and vinyl over them. This saved time in having to cut to the pattern of each piece and provided a stronger base for the new materials. Less stretch less apt to wear out again. And you pay for only the material used.

Here is how you, or the shop, can avoid the side airbag problem with new covers.

1) Use the OEM seat cover fabrics and have the shop put new fabric (if you are changing color and pattern) on just the face of the seats, the topside of seats and backrests.

2) Leave the black fabric on the sides as-is so that the covers will match the side airbag points. You will buy less fabric and make it easier to cover all six seats in one day.

3) Like leather kits, full seat covers would cover the seats entirely including the black felt-like materail Mazda puts on the folding seat backs for carrying cargo (middle and back rows). You want to keep this. But if you want the seat backs to match the seat fronts in color or harmonizing pattern -- then use commercial grade loop pile carpeting and replace the black felt fabric. Cheaper carpet would have thinner backing material making it easy to just sew it over the felt.

4) If you want the gray fabric panels on the doors to be changed to the new seat fabric this would be extra cost, but it would also be a good time to upgrade door-mounted speakers while the panels are off. Whle the seat cover shop works on the seats remove one speaker and take it to an audio shop for size and mounting points. Install the new speakers before the guys put the door panels back on. Saves labor costs later.

Also for people in the north with cold winters, use the same idea of saving the OEM seat fabrics and have real or faux fleece sewn on. Old idea becomes new again.

Getting the panels off sliding doors can't be easy.

I have a cousin who lives in New Mexico where anything Western is popular. He had his pickup truck seats recovered in a Navajo pattern for the inserts with the side bolsters in a solid suade-like cloth.

fowler3
  • murphy4murphy4 Member Posts: 92
    Just about to end a nightmare experience with a Ford Freestyle and saw a Mazda5 in the mall parking lot. We have 2 small children, dog and always seems to have alot of gear.

Can the 4 cylinder auto handle the family or is the best bet the manual? It seems to be roomy inside.....does it have room for 3 in the back seat if you have 2 child seats??

Any feedback is appreciated.......
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    What was wrong with your Freestyle? I have over 33K miles and zero problems. Just so you know, the Mazda5 has only 2 seats in the 2nd row.
  • murphy4murphy4 Member Posts: 92
    June 24th -- 9:20am

Our Ford Freestyle is still sitting at the dealer. The parts came in twice last week. Both times they arrived damaged. They are now going to see if Ford will authorize a new transmission. This is a joke, they need "authorization" because the dealer does not want to be out any money. Instead they are out a customer and someone how will never recommend them or Ford again.

We are done, the car is going to sit their until we get closure from Ford Motor Company. The car has been at the dealer 25 days in the last 60 days. We are currently contacting the Ford Zone Manager because the Dealer's General Manager decided to take vacation and "deal with us later".
    I asked the question earlier about these and then found a supplier on the Net. This is really cool for Mazda5 and other 5-door owners. Great for tailgating and weekends introducimg your kids to the Great Outdoors.

http://www.napierenterprises.com

It can be used alone without the "sleeve" which attaches over the liftgate. Sleeping bags, an ice cooler w/food, a Coleman stove and pan and you are good to go.

Only $189.95

Don't forget your digital camera --we want to see pics.

fowler3
  • sschribersschriber Member Posts: 89
    I too owned a 1st Gen Odyssey. It was a great car with a perfect interior layout for my family of 5 ( I had the second row captains chairs). It frustrated the heck out of me that there was an 8 year gap between when that first Odyssey was discontinued and the offering of the 2006 Mazda 5. The 3 row wagon/microvan is the best family vehicle layout IMHO ... why can't the US market figure this out.
    I had the bench seat in the middle and left the third seat folded, best for my use....er..for my dog, so she could run back and forth from side to side to bark at the neighbors. When Honda brought out the big van they lost me -- too much of everything: too wide, too long, too expensive, too much gas.

Went from the Ody to a Mazda Protegé and loved it. I dislike firm seats and the Pro's seats are almost duplicates of those in the Ody, only lower. And unlike the Ody, the Protegé has a small turning circle and doesn't lean in sharp turns.

Why am I interested in the MZ5? I miss the Ody van sometimes and wish I had a hatch, but most vans and other cars have wide turning circles. Ever need to make a U-turn quickly on a busy thoroughfare without having to stop, back up, and then pull around? The Mazda5 has the same small turning circle of the Protegé. It can turn from a Left Turn lane make a U-turn and stay in the left lane going in the opposit direction. That's one use for "handling". :)

Any other car or vehicle I get has to have Mazda's handling, economy, quality, and fun-to-drive. When you look there's nothing out there, especially the size of the Mazda5.

Why can't Chrysler and GM make the same thing? From the design standpoint, they would get one thing right and ten things wrong. They'd try to please everybody and please nobody. Mazda designs and builds to a particular segment and makes no bones about it. When you buy any other car you are just one more on the road -- when you buy a Mazda you belong to a select group, not necessarily a club, though there are many popping up on the Web. If nothing else you know you made a good decision.

That's my 2-cents.

fowler3
    Still zooming at 75 (not mph). ;)
  • cmyers300mcmyers300m Member Posts: 206
    FYI...the latest Automobile magazine shows that Kia is coming out with a micro-van next spring. It doesn't look bad, but I'd probably opt for the sporty Mazda5. Especially since it has been out a while now.
    That would be a better choice. The Mazda5 has been on sale in Europe for several years, they call it a "Space Wagon". The Kia may be a new model where the Mazda5 is the North American version of an existing vehicle -- with *experience*. The reason the only recall has been the heat shield problem: they can make them almost fool proof, but they can not make them damn-fool proof.

Who drives 75mph in second gear in a new car?

What makes the Mazda5 so sporty is that it has some of the styling attributes of the CX-7 without the higher price. And for 2007 -2008?, Mazda is going to offer leather trim -- probably black. :(

By then aftermarket suppliers will offer trim packages in other colors using higher quality leather. A light gray with dark gray suede seat inserts would be really cool in more ways than one -- suede doesn't get as hot as leather.

fowler3
  • wa98stratwa98strat Member Posts: 66
    It's Ironic that you mention "Why can't Chrysler and GM make the same thing?" Because GM's European and Autrailia Subsidiaries are doing exactly that. Look at Vauxhall's Zafira. It's almost a clone of the 5 (without the sliding doors). For some reason GM seems to think that all North American's want is BIG SUV's. My guess is that's why their sales were down 26% last month and why they have been having such a horrible last couple of years. I think they really beleive that Bush's America's Right to all the oil it wants attitude will save them! It won't They need to start taking a look at what their European divisions are doing! and take a lesson. Especially up here in Canada where 3 out of 4 vechicle sold have a 4 cylinder engine, not GM's tired old V8 technology!
    GM's tired old technology is right. I saw a Buick Lacrosse yesterday, still a big car, with LED taillights. It takes more than LEDs to make a modern car for the 21st Century. The reason there are so many SUVs is because people started thinking the only safe way to be on the road was to drive the same size vehicle. Not that they actually needed an SUV.

It's about time people started thinking about smaller vehicles in a realistic way. The time is coming when "I HAVE TO HAVE..." no longer matters and what you can buy, like it or not, does. Washington state is starting a test program taxing drivers on the number of miles they drive annually, which will cause many drivers to re-think where they really have to go. We'll pay for it in miles driven, higher taxes, and higher fuel prices if we don't start thinking smaller.

The way to pull the road out from under die-hard SUV owners is to limit the amount of gas they can buy at gas stations. They will get tired of waiting in lines going from station to station. ;)

fowler3
  • stagilmorestagilmore Member Posts: 3
    Do the middle seats come out? I'll be picking up my 5 on Friday...trading in the thirsty MPV, but a little worried about giving up some space. Hope this is as great a car as everyone says..my buying experience has been less than great.
    No the middle seats don't come out, but they do fold flat at the same level as the 3rd row, making a level load floor.
  • rdelaneyrdelaney Member Posts: 5
    I am waiting until the 2007 models come out before I purchase and am trying to get as much information as I can. Hopefully Mazda will address some of the 2006 issues (armrest)but what I am hoping for is a diesel option. At lease they may drive down the price of the 2006 or better still, some used 5's will be out there. Does anyone have any info on the 2007?
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Based on your buying experience and questions/concerns you still have on the car, why are you buying??? Maybe you should spend some more time looking.
    Don't look for a diesel option. Only some color changes and a leather option for the Grand Touring, a new model. What I would like to be available is the light beige trim on European models. The current trim is too much black.

On the armrest for the right seat, I doubt Mazda will make that available because it would block the lid on the center console when opened. The reason they left it off.

The limited number of initial MZ5s is to test the waters for small MAVs. As they sell Mazda will most likely address some of the "issues" in unexpected ways.

fowler3
    Dieel would have been a great option. What armrest issue? Do you mean the front passenger armrest? If you put an armrest on the left side of the passenger seat, how are you going to access the the storage compartments in the center console?
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    I think a patient buyer will eventually have a US diesel option. The power train already exists in Europe and Canada, and from what I hear it is a smash. Likely 2008 (possibly a year from now) would be the soonest, because of transitioning fuel and emission issues in the US.

John
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Does anyone have any info on the 2007?

They are adding a Grand Touring model with Espresso Brown leather, Xenon HID's. There may be a few other features, I'll have to look into it.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    OK... I think we're clear of all storms and assorted other issues that have run into chat times lately ;) so we're on for 9PM ET tonight!

PF Flyer
    Host
    Wagons, & Hybrid Vehicles

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
    Wishful thinking. There is no Diesel option for the Mazda5 in Canada. I would have been all over that!!
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    hmmm. There was a fella a few months back that claimed he had a Canadian version.

Or, maybe my memory is bad ;)

John
  • carquerycarquery Member Posts: 35
    I've read a few posts about the 2007 model changes that reported the Grand Touring model will offer HID headlights and leather, heated seats. Does anyone happen to know if there are any other differences between the Touring and Grand Touring? Other than the HID, I might just opt to pick my own color leather and get the Touring, but don't want to overlook other features. Thanks.
  • psychoartpsychoart Member Posts: 17
    HID in Mazda5? Shoot, I got to rethink my next year car. I was thinking to get a Golf V diesel or the Suzuki SX4 as a temporary second cheapo car.
    Well, at least Mazda is responding to my need now if there is a Grand Touring Mazda5 with HID. I could trade my Mazda3 SP23 to a little bigger Mazda5 for the wife, and now I can get something faster, and possibly with AWD.
    The Miata would be nice, but during winter time, it sucks. So it's scratched.
    I like the Mazdaspeed3. It's fast and all. I drive stick shift, but my wife doesn't. That's where the DSG shines in the VW, but I am not going back in a VW.
    The CX-7 is the one with AWD, but I don't like the fact that the car has a higher center of gravity and higher consumption.
    What about Mazdaspeed6? I don't like sedan.
    That may lead me to Subaru WRX STI/Saab 9-2X with HID, or plain Toyota hybrid system w/0 HID (e.g. new Highlander).
    Well, I'll have to see what will be the offering next year.
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    Or you could just wait and see if they add AWD to the next Mazda5. :shades:

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
    Just picked up my M5 tonight, and my dealer said that the 07 will have 3/36000 mile warranty...not 4/50000 like Mazda has now-for those of you who are thinking of waiting for '07!
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    It will be 3/36 bumper to bumper, but will add 5 year 60K miles for powertrain.

WARRANTY

2007 Vehicles:

BUMPER-TO-BUMPER

Mazda warrants that new 2007 Mazda cars and trucks will be free of defects with normal use and prescribed maintenance for 36 months or 36,000 miles, which ever comes first. Ordinary maintenance items or adjustments, parts subject to normal wear and replacement and certain other items are excluded. This transferable "limited warranty" is included on all new Mazda vehicles sold and serviced in the United States.

POWERTRAIN LIMITED WARRANTY

Mazda warrants that the Powertrain Components of new 2007 Mazda cars and trucks will be free of defects with normal use and prescribed maintenance for 60 months or 60,000 miles, which ever comes first. Ordinary maintenance items or adjustments, parts subject to normal wear and replacement and certain other items are excluded. This “limited warranty” is transferable during the warranty period on all new Mazda vehicles sold and serviced in the United States.

Complement the limited warranty on your new vehicle with the Mazda Extended Protection Plan, the only service agreement backed by Mazda. See your Mazda dealer for details.

2006 Vehicles:

BUMPER-TO-BUMPER

Mazda warrants that new 2006 Mazda cars and trucks will be free of defects with normal use and prescribed maintenance for 48 months or 50,000 miles, which ever comes first. Ordinary maintenance items or adjustments, parts subject to normal wear and replacement and certain other items are excluded. This transferable "limited warranty" is included on all new Mazda vehicles sold and serviced in the United States.

Complement the limited warranty on your new vehicle with the Mazda Extended Protection Plan, the only service agreement backed by Mazda. See your Mazda dealer for details.
    Hate to tell you this, but for the 2006 year it's already a 3 year warranty See below. (taken straight from the Mazda website)

Mazda3, Mazda3 Sport, Mazda5, Mazda6, Mazda6 Sport, Mazda6 Sport Wagon, MAZDASPEED6, CX-7, RX-8, MX-5, MPV

The basic warranty on Mazda vehicles covers all parts found to be factory defective for 36 Months or 80,000 km, whichever comes first. Additional warranties cover Powertrain components for a period of 5 years or 100,000 km whichever comes first, body sheet metal perforation for 5 years and unlimited mileage and specific emission control components for up to 8 years or 128,000 km.
  • riproyriproy Member Posts: 57
    Got it last night, very exciting! Getting the windows tinted next week.

I hope we will see more and more of these vehicles on the road in the near future. I see perhaps one or two a week on Edmonton streets.
  • ntron1ntron1 Member Posts: 2
    "Hate to tell you this, but for the 2006 year it's already a 3 year warranty See below. (taken straight from the Mazda website)

Mazda3, Mazda3 Sport, Mazda5, Mazda6, Mazda6 Sport, Mazda6 Sport Wagon, MAZDASPEED6, CX-7, RX-8, MX-5, MPV

The basic warranty on Mazda vehicles covers all parts found to be factory defective for 36 Months or 80,000 km, whichever comes first. Additional warranties cover Powertrain components for a period of 5 years or 100,000 km whichever comes first, body sheet metal perforation for 5 years and unlimited mileage and specific emission control components for up to 8 years or 128,000 km."

You are correct, It must suck to be in Canada. we in the USA got 4 years and 50K MILES on our 2006 models.....:)
  • tomekktomekk Member Posts: 310
    ... and the most important question about 2007 Mazda5 (for me, anyway): will it have stability control (like the Euro model)??? Lack of stability contro is what kept me from buying it in the first place. If 2007 doesn't have it, I'll get something else. (I only wish I knew what!)
  • kivokivo Member Posts: 64
    I may have missed a post or two, but do the Mazda5's have window tinting, even as an extra? I thought all cars today come through with tinting. My '92 Taurus had it, so I thought most, if not all cars had it today. If not, they certainly should. It keeps the cars cooler and preserves interior materials. I am looking seriously at a 2007 when they arrive, but I would also like stability control.
  • archibaldarchibald Member Posts: 3
    Mazda does not tint the windows but it is offered by most all dealerships. The reason is that different states have different laws reguarding tinting as well as different preferrences by buyers.
    Mazda registered the MZ5 as a car in the USA. So it does not come with factory tinting like vans and SUVs. Factory tinting is colored glass and does not have the UV filtering tint film offers. Also, film tends to hold shattered glass shards better in an accident.

Factory tinting is not desireable for many with visual problems and night driving. It prevents them from seeing what is behind when they back up, seeing overtaking vehicles, and general visibility.

fowler3
    Their mileage must be an error. Someone probably put more gas in than they kept track of. There is no way they really got 31mpg in "mixed" driving when most Mazda5 owners struggle to get that even in exclusively highway driving.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Beat the heat (that's my plan anyway) at our weekly Mazda chat tonight. See you there!

PF Flyer
    Host
    Wagons, & Hybrid Vehicles

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • nissmazlovernissmazlover Member Posts: 162
    Yes, we noticed this recently when driving to the beach a couple of weeks ago. I had all the windows and sunroof closed, with the a/c on, and one of my sons opened the rear left window all the way and we heard the same noise and pulsing you are referring to. It was definitely weird and shock worthy, but I just took it as a "physics thing". Do you think that it's a design flaw? I wouldn't think so. Wouldn't this happen in any car? :confuse:
    I have had 4 new cars in the last 5 years. They have ALL pulsed when one of the back windows is open. It stops when you open the front window just a crack. As cars become more aerodynamic, this seems to get worse! By the way...no more new cars after this one! I'm keeping my M5 until the wheels fall off!
    audia8q: Autoweek may have rounded it off. I would think the Mazda5 would be able to get 30mpg or a little better, but only after it is well broken in. Current models are still going through that process. It also depends on driving style, speeds driven, and weather conditions: hot/humid, windy, wet roads, etc.

My example: I have a 2001 Protegé which has an EPA rating of 25 city - 31 highway. The longest trip I have taken, 430 miles, I got 36mpg and I was trying for the highest economy possible by keeping the RPMs at or below 3000 and the speed not higher than 60mph. Above that speed most cars will get less mpg than possible.

Note that I was carrying no passengers.

If the Mazda5 is rated at 26mpg it should be able to get at least 30mpg, the same ratio, after they have 5000 miles on the Odo. But do not expect that at 70mph or higher.

The best way to test fuel economy is to fill up at the same gas station, set the nozzle for auto-shutoff, do not overfill. Write down the mileage and gallons. Return to the same station and use the same pump. Repeat the fill up. Do this several times and average.

Fun to drive comes at a price -- at the pump. ;)

fowler3
  • wusterwuster Member Posts: 153
    Agreed!

For some reason, 70mph seems to the magic # for the Mazda. If I stay at or below 70mph, I can get the EPA highway mileage with no problem. But once I venture above 70mph, my gas mileage suffers.

The same thing happened with the Mazda3 I owned. If I kept it under 70 mph, I can easily get 30-31 mpg (EPA rating is 29 mpg). But when I frolic above 75mph, I get 25-26 mpg.

You should also check your tires' air pressure. You'd be surprised how big of a difference a couple of lbs of air makes.
    Motorweek claimed 31 in MIXED driving meaning even after doing some city stop and go driving, it still averaged 31. That sounds pretty unlikely and doesn't match what owners are reporting in the real world.
    Motorweeek must have made an error in their calculations.
    I imagine someone added fuel somewhere and didn't document it or else a math error on their part.
  • epharmacistepharmacist Member Posts: 3
    Does anybody know when the 2007 Mazda 5 will be available in the US? I am holding out for the added features of the 2007 model. :lemon:
    It's surprising how low tire pressure affects handling as well as mpg. Just a couple pounds under makes a big difference. And when handling feels mushy your driving suffers too. If the steering wheel seems to pull to the right or left or steers in either direction the tire on that side is low. Know where center is when on a smooth, straight road.

The right tire pressure is posted on a sticker in the driver's door jam down low near the seat base.

It must be the weight, being the driving wheels, and steering -- FWD tires seem to lose pressure quickly. When you rotate them (move front to back) they still lose pressure. And you can't tell it by eyeballing them.

With a new car, check the tires often so you will know how long it takes for them to lose pressure between pumping them up. Then make a habit of checking and filling on a regular basis. Those low-pro tires can fool you.

fowler3
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    Couldn't find any reference to it in this discussion, but the Mazda5 (Premacy in Japan) received perfect scores on the Japanese test, 6 x 6 stars. If you search for NASVA you will be able to find it, but it's going to be tricky if you don't read Japanese.