Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Xterra Prices Paid & Buying Experiences

Comments

• akmvolvobetterakmvolvobetter Member Posts: 6
    2006 Xterra Offroad, MSRP 28325 plus step rails, Paid 24575 after Nissan 1000 rebate plus 289 sealant plus 389 dealer prep fee. First tank of gas yielded 17.108 mpg -- mix of city, highway -- more city than highway -- that matches Consumer Reports all around figure. So far it is a mighty fine vehicle. Engine is very peppy, it would be very tempting to use that pep. Do so and your mileage may suffer. Competing vehicle was the H3. Near bare bones H3 was 31,000 (dealer offered only 1000 off MSRP) -- find a big opening to get on the interstate, with the H3 engine, you will need it. H3 salesman, "H3 will do a lot that the Xterra will not", "Xterra will not hold its value, H3 will". Both statements likely bull. The engine difference as witnessed on back-to-back test drives, was the key factor in deciding in favor of the Xterra.

Added Garmin Street Pilot 2720 GPS (Internet price $690 -- $999 Best Buy). Best screen (sharp, no glare) of any portable that I have seen. Great purchase for the new Xterra, fits nice in slot in top center of dash.

I couldn't be more happy with these 2 new toys.
  • bobo9bobo9 Member Posts: 1
    Glad I came across this forum.

I'm close to buying a 2006 xterra S at about 23,500 before 1000 rebate & tax, license, etc. It has utility package, splash guards and side moldings. Edmunds has MSRP at $25,685 and Invoice at $24,209 for this particular setup.

Is this a deal I should take advantage of while it's there or can I do just as well if I wait a month? I'm not in a rush.
  • akmvolvobetterakmvolvobetter Member Posts: 6
    Looks like some dealers are discounting 3 to 4000 including Nissan rebate. Check their newspaper ads and make them match those deals -- worked for me. Depends on time of month and maybe how long your car has been sitting on the lot. Compare with H3 pricing and power and you will think your offer on an Xterra is very good.

Since some people want to know real mileage -- My real city mileage on my new Xterra automatic is 17.1 and 18.6 (1st and 2nd tanks respectively). :) Very good vehicle!
  • fr0gst0mpfr0gst0mp Member Posts: 1
    Hi-
    I think I've been taken for a ride and it's my own fault, I suppose. I just bought an 04 xterra XE, 31,000 miles, and paid $2499 for the "security plus" pre-owned protection preferred plan (100,000). I thought I was getting a great deal because the super slick chick told me the plan was regularly priced at $3000.
    Could you please name the dealership that gave you that price ? I could really use the contact info. If I can get a better price it would really help me out...
    I don't know what I'm doing really and am unsure as to how I would shop the internet for this.
    Thanks !
    Elizabethe
  • aazevedoaazevedo Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone know if Nissan keeps there recent grad discount for the Xterra passed June 30th? Any info about this would be helpful. Thanks!
  • matthattan1587matthattan1587 Member Posts: 53
    Hello I am wondering how you guys like the Xterra you own now. I am looking into buying a new Xterra Se myself, but would like to know more about it.I have test driven the Xterra and loved the way it drove but if you dont mind me asking, I was wondering what some of the pros and cons were of this SUV in the long run? Any input would help greatly! :)
  • screech552screech552 Member Posts: 7
    well, the 05 xterra i own is almost bare bones(no power which is standard in the s model and up). the ride is firm, seats are a little softer than sitting on concrete, the fuel is HORRIBLE 17 miles hwy. at 60 miles an hour. the plastic scratches easily and theres so much of it. you need a hitch step to actually reach the bumper steps. also it pulls to the right a little and had it aligned 3 times and they say tires are fine too. i wish i never bought the truck. ALTHOUGH, like i said it is a firm ride and is a beast. it is a great truck if you do off roading. but if you want a smooth ride buy a car, or a different suv. from 1-10 for my daily 26 mile commute round trip, i give this a 4. i dont know if the 2006 or different models comes with daytime running lights or courtesy lights and theater lighting but mine does not.
  • jibbjabberjibbjabber Member Posts: 3
    I dont think the grad rebate ends anytime soon but the $1000 rebate ends July 5th.

I just picked up a 2006 off-road 4WD 6-speed manual with the Rockford Fosgate stereo for $682 under invoice before the rebates and TT&L. The SUV is rock solid. Make sure you get a lot of quotes, many dealers wouldnt touch that price.
    I bought my new Xterra on July 2nd. It is a 2006 Xterra X (Lightning Silver) 4X2 automatic, with power package, carpets and splash guards. MSRP was $22775, and Invoice was $21423, I paid $21026 and then recieved the $1000 manufacturer rebate and the $500 recent graduate rebate, also since this was my first car Nissan gave me a great APR of 7.49% over 5 years. I bought my X at Northbay Nissan in Petaluma, California and recieved wonderful, low pressure service, I would recommend this dealership to anyone nearby. I don't think that there is a single car out there that has more value than the Nissan Xterra, I paid less than $20000 and I got A LOT of car!!!
  • ab_all_da_wayab_all_da_way Member Posts: 1
    i got a jet black se 4wd with every option used with 8000 miles for... 22,000!!!! i love the truck, highly highly recommended.
  • phboujonphboujon Member Posts: 1
    I am planning to buy by the end of July, a 2006 off-road 4WD 6-speed manual, and have been reading your posts and prices. However I am wondering:
    - Where do you find out about the Nissan incentives?
    - What are the conditions of the recent grad incentive? (I am a recent grad, 6 months ago).

Additionally, I am curious about manual vs automatic transmission capabilities when related to the part-time 4WD system. Any comments? What would make one buy an automatic transmission? A manual transmission? (Being European, I am biased toward the manual…)

Thanks
    You can find Nissan incentives at Nissanusa.com. I'm not sure about other rebates going on for the Xterra right now and you may want to wait until the next holiday to buy. The recent graduate discount is a year-round discount, but they change the cars it is good for every now and then. If you are graduating in the next 6 months or have graduated in the last two years, and have proof of a full time job, then you qualify for the grad rebate.

The manual transmission is in my opinion awesome, like the engine, it was also developed and modified from the 350Z transmission. It feels very direct, and there is a much shorter throw than the FJ. The automatic is very smooth, and responds very quickly as if it can read my mind. The decision is up to you both are great.
  • tom53tom53 Member Posts: 1
    I am in NY, if i buy a vehicle out of state do I pay NY tax on it anyway?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    Yes... in almost every case, you will pay sales taxes where you register the car...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• jibbjabberjibbjabber Member Posts: 3
    I have the same Xterra (offroad 4WD 6-SPD) that you are looking at and reccomend it. The manual is definetely the way to go. The only thing right now on it is that it has a clunk noise when I push in the clutch to shift from 1->2. If you go with the automatic it also has hill assist and decent if you dont know how to drive.
  • mtbingdave40mtbingdave40 Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone, I'm in Miami and been talking to four different dealers about a 2006 Xterra S 4x2, automatic with the Utility package and got multiple offers. The MSRP was $24,785 and best offers i got at the moment is at $21,900 from Maroone Nissan of Miami. Is this a good offer? Also, should i wait untill the 2007 com out to get a better offer on the 2006. Lastly, whats up the the iPOD adapter only avaliable for the SE and the OFFROAD.
  • drat4drat4 Member Posts: 7
    :cry: This really hurts to ask this. Where is the best place to post for sale an off-road 05 Xterra? I'm back on street sales and absolutely love my Xterra. But using my Xterra for sales calls is like using a VW beetle off-roading. Getting a hybrid for work but I can't keep both. Where's the best place to post to get a good match?
  • tinycadontinycadon Member Posts: 287
    I tested the CX-7, don't know what all the fuss is about, I wasn't impressed in the least. Was waiting to see the Edge, but with all those Ford recalls I didn't want to risk a 1st year model with them, hence the Xterra won we over. S model 4x4, pretty much all the options and accessories I wanted, including the side curtain airbags and rollover protection (this made me pull the trigger), $26,400 out the door (tax, title, fees), still came in about a grand under msrp. Sale price was $80 over invoice, minus $1,000 rebate, Carmax in White Marsh, Md. (Nissan new car dealer) No pressure, no gimmicks, straight up here's the price, yes or no? Bought it Wed. night, left on a trip Thur. night, got 20.7mpgs doing 65-75mph w/ac running, was completely shocked at that, engine hasn't even been broken in yet, if that holds up I'll be happier than a pig in shhhhhh!
  • jaws4jaws4 Member Posts: 17
    Do yourself a favor and do not ever buy (or attempt to buy) from Capital City Nissan in Atlanta. I had been working with them for a week to get to reasonable deal on an XTerra X. Once we finally agreed on a price (which was solidly above their advertised price), they changed the deal to the degree of $1600. I walked...

STAY AWAY!!!
  • vin01vin01 Member Posts: 2
    Hi all

I just negotiated the sale of a '06 Xterra S 4x4 AT for $1500 under invoice price. Is this a decent negotiation or have others been making deals for much less?

Once I got below invoice they wouldn't budge on anything, and I didn't have the cajones to discuss holdback.. as I was already happy with my negotiations.

What do ya'll think?
    The question shouldn't be whether or not you got a good deal, it should be whether or not you got the vehicle you wanted and did YOU feel it was a fair deal? A couple of hundred bucks is nothing to fret over, anything under invoice is good.
  • vin01vin01 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your reply.

Yeah, I thought I worked a good deal...especially being my first car purchase. I didn't know how far I could push since I never did this before, but I bought it tonight, and am extremely happy and excited.

Thanks to all on this forum for helping me have a pleasant experience. I will continue to post and use this as a resource.

Thanks again!
  • inyayzinyayz Member Posts: 1
    I am paying 22,440 for a 2006 Nissan XTerra X series 4WD, Auto and power options in Springfield, MA. I think its a good deal.
  • ichor0416ichor0416 Member Posts: 10
    When will dealers start receiving the '07 models? My salesman in the Philadelphia area didn't know what the differences between the '07 and '06 models were and said he wouldn't get any in until November. If he's ignorant or a joker, I'll take my business elsewhere because I'm ready to buy NOW. My starting price on an '07 SE will be invoice minus $1500.
    Invoice MINUS $1500 will be starting price??? Do you mean MSRP, not invoice? The 07s are out, check out Carmax's website, they sell new Nissans in White Marsh, Md., that's where I bought mine. 06s have a $1k rebate right now, the 07s don't have any. I bought a 06 at invoice minus the $1k rebate, the 07s look like they're going $300-$400 over invoice, and since Carmax is no haggle, I can't see all that many Nissan dealers blowing them out of the water for pricing? Carmax seems to be very reasonable in their pricing, I'd see what they have online and using their pricing to strike a deal with a dealership near you, or drive the 1hr-1hr1/2 to White Marsh, good luck.
  • elenadelenad Member Posts: 11
    Just signed papers last night and picking up 07 X-terra S on Monday. We got the following add-ons:

Retract Cargo Cvr
    Carp Flr Mats
    In-cabin Microfilt
    Auto Dim Elechrom Mirr W/comp
    Prot Pkg
    Util Pkg
    50 St Emis

We spent sime time negotiating, but managed to bring the price down to $24,500. The invoice on this car including all add-ons was $25,500.
  • elvissselvisss Member Posts: 14
    hello, elenad, I am also considering to buy a 06 or 07 xterra, is that a 4wd or 2wd price? that you!
    it is 4wd, I don't think then even have 2wd on the lot now.
    thank you dude, do you know the difference between 07 and 06?
    I am planning to buy a 06 Xterra SE 2wd OR 06 2wd S

one dealer offered me the price of

SE 4x2 -->23,300
    S 4x2 --> $21,250

the price include rebate and destination charge. But not documentation fee.

I am in St.louis, MO, do you guys think this is a good deal?

What your price is?

Any input is highly appreciated!
    Absolutely no difference. They added few more interior colors, that's it. We just decided it makes more sence to get '07, so we can sell it for more in few years.
    Why are you getting 2WD in SUV? The price doesn't look bad. We were offered $22.5 on 06 X-terra S 4x4..but dedided to go with 07
    hmmmm, I think I choose 2wd because most of the time ( more than 99%) it will run on pavement, city usage.

:shades:

Thank you for your reply and enjoy you new xterra, elenad ;)
  • restaman18restaman18 Member Posts: 3
    Need to decide which the better deal and i was hoping I could get some free advice.

My two choices are as follows:

Brand New 2006 Nissan Xterra S with the utility package for 21,500 (pending a dealership can make that price work) with 6.25% financing - 353 montly payments.
    OR

2005 Xterra SE (rockford fosgate etc.) with 15,000 miles from a rich private sealer who's looking to unload it at 19,000 with 8.45% financing - 316 monthly payments.

On one hand, i want the new truck, but on the other i know even with the great deal it will loss excessive value the first year. But it would be brand new and have a longer warranty. But the 2005 SE has bigger rims, better stereo, and more features for less money. But, the SE is a year older and has been used.

Just reply with your thoughts on which would be better and why.
    I would prefer the brand NEW one, there is no big difference between the price.

btw, I think you got a good price, 2006 Nissan Xterra S with the utility package for 21,500, is that a 2wd or 4wd price?
    2wd price, the best I have offered so far is 21,600 with another 595 for the dealer fee. But this truck also have the mirror compass, and body side moldings. But I can't buy that one though, because it's red and the wife doesn't like the color.

I'm working all the dealerships now to get that 21,500 price, the best i got from some other dealerships is 22,100.

thanks for the advice
    Finally got a dealership to make the deal work.
    06 Xterra S with utility package, body side molding, floor mats, splash guards and the TRAILERING PACKAGE....all for 21,700 out the door. 800 below invoive.

I feel good about it and drove it home last night 200 miles... and got 21.4 MPG!!!!!

If Nissan reliability holds up over time, this will be the hands down best SUV out there
    congratulation!

I also got my xterra SE on Saturday, very cool.
  • limited_sliplimited_slip Member Posts: 5
    Yet another bad dealer experience that I need to vent about.

So I'm in the market for an 07 Xterra S 4x4 with Utility package. Last Thursday, I sent about 15

emails out to local dealers in PA & received a few quotes back via email, which range about $1500

(give or take) under invoice with the current incentives offered by Nissan. I got a call from

Loughead Nissan in Swarthmore, PA who gave me the usual speech about being the #1 volume dealer &

that he can beat any pricing. I asked him to provide his quote over the phone but he said he

couldn't & told me to come in. I gave him a number instead (slightly lower than the lowest email

quote I received from other dealers) & he said he'll talk to his sales manager. About an hour

later, I received a callback saying it was a deal so I scheduled an appointment for Saturday. The

dealer called back again later in the afternoon asking whether I had a trade in & I said yes &

gave him the necessary info of my vehicle. Keep in mind that he had already agreed to the first

deal without any mention of trade-in

Fast forward to Saturday at the dealership, the Xterra they had waiting for me actually had

additional packages on it but was never mentioned over the phone (i.e. Protection package, cargo

divider, retractable cargo cover, trailer hitch). Please note that I had specifically only asked

for the Utility package & nothing else in my initial email. While waiting for them to assess my

trade in value, the salesperson that I dealt with over the phone told me that it was a smart move

to shop around by sending quotes out to all the local dealers. After about 20 min of sitting

around with only one other customer there, the sales manager shows up & provides a quote for that

vehicle that was higher than all the email quotes I had received & low-ball my trade in, so

basically the price that they quoted over the phone still remained the same, they just factored

the trade-in into the newly raised price. He further insulted me by saying, I don't need to sell

you this car. So at this point, I just shook his hand & left. It was a waste of time & partially

my fault for not confirming this in writing prior to showing up but I just bought a Honda Pilot 8

months ago & went through the same process & the dealer honored the price when I walked in. There

was no written agreement faxed, it was strictly verbal. For this Nissan deal, I would assume that they would be

smarter than to pull the bait & switch technique since they knew that I had been shopping on the

internet but oh well.

So moral of the story is that if you're in the market for a Nissan vehicle, do yourself a favor &

stay away from unprofessional, unethical, ignorant dealerships such as Loughead Nissan in

Swarthmore, PA. Thanks for listening.
  • shasta67shasta67 Member Posts: 109
    I had the same thing happen to me many years ago and the feeling sucks. Just count it as a lesson learned, and bad mouth the dealership to anyone who will listen. Your story ended better than mine. Mine ended with the police called and a near brawl in the middle of the dealership. Man I miss those days when I could be a crazy kid. :P

In the end the dealership probably felt it was ok to lie to you because you did "shop" prices. Many, if not most, of the really big dealership feel it is ok to say anything just to get you on the lot.

If you made any mistakes they were probably not getting the quote in writing and trying to do the trade-in with the deal. I know they promised you a price but trade-ins always complicate things and gives them more opportunities to try and change the deal. I have never traded in a car and I never will.

Don't worry too much though. You only lost a little time. You still have your money and there are lots of other dealers.
  • juntaojuntao Member Posts: 1
    howdy all -

i'm new here, just purchased a 2007 Xterra S, automatic, 4x4, utility package. I ended up negotiated for 2 hours before I finally got the price I wanted: $24,500 OTD (including tax). got the rebate and 3.9% financing from the dealer.

Sounds like a decent price, but the interior feels inadequately equipped. in any case, do you guys think i got a good price on it? :confuse:
  • wyoforesterwyoforester Member Posts: 25
    We just bought a '7 OR list 29620 pd 26549 otd w/o tax($450, but tax may vary depending on your trade, incentives used,local tax rate and laws,etc.). Otd incl.7yr/100k warranty. Trade=1k more than any other dealer, so it nets to 25549 otd w/o tax. A deal we are happy with and a great buying experience from an up front, honest dealer. Nothing hidden or 'forgotten'. Between us, we've purchased over 40 vehicles. We thoroughly checked out the unit before purchase. Put another 45 miles on it during our final test drive. There are so many choices and so many dealers out there. The OR does what we want/need right now very well and the salesperson was excellent. No t/o to a manager and finance didn't push rust and dust or extended warranty.

From reading here and numerous other forums, a few things I have noticed that may be helpful: in getting the vehicle you actually will enjoy living with and getting a deal you are happy with.

Decide what you are actually looking for(like and need). What is really important to you. Check out all the features of the vehicles you are interested in during your test drives. Is anything not up to your standards? Is some look , touch or feature, or lack of, annoying you? Drive the vehicles under the conditions you will be driving most of the time: city streets, rough roads, mtns., Interstate,off pavement, etc. If you tend to carry a lot of stuff/people, load the vehicles up and see how they perform under load. Long commute? sit in/drive them for a while. Do thorough, thorough test drives. Read forums and reviews. Talk to owners. Take your time.

When you have found the model that does what you want: Use the net. Shop. Get multiple, written quotes. If you have a trade, get written quotes on that too. Be willing to go a few miles for a better deal.

You may still end up at your local dealer, but you will be less likely to be writing in talking about how you
    feel you could have gotten a better overall deal/experience or found the seats weren't comfortable or you didn't like the way a particular feature worked or you wish you had known it didn't ride well off pavement or it was noisy on the highway or you couldn't fit your kids in it or the rear leg room was not up to par or the gas mileage was not what you expected or the engine didn't have enough power on hills or the exterior/interior looked cheap or it would be a lot easier to live with if it had this/that or the stealer didn't tell you this or that, etc.,etc.,etc.
  • wyoforesterwyoforester Member Posts: 25
    Just signed on to this discussion today.
    I agree with shasta67 and others,
    The trade should be a separate transaction/negotiation. It can change your out the door cost, but it should not be tied into the negotiation on the new vehicle.

You walked away. Good. It can be hard to do, but you did the right thing. Ultimately, as others have stated, you should find the vehicle you want and then feel good about the deal. Those two things accomplished=happy.

If you haven't found your vehicle yet, good luck. If you have, enjoy!
  • beachboundbeachbound Member Posts: 1
    Just bought an '07 S 4WD Auto Nightarmor with:
    Side Airbags
    Tow Pkg
    Utility Pkg
    Protection Pkg
    Cargo Cover
    Cabin Air Filter
    Floor Mats

$24,550 plus tax and tags. Took advantage of the $1000 rebate, and a dealer who needed a sale. I think I got a good price - did everything over the internet and phone. Had a few idiot dealers who lied to me and got me in their store with a lowball number, only to raise it $2500 when I got there, but finally found an honest dealer (if one exists) who was good to deal with. Next lowest price was pushing $26k. Primary headache in all of it was finding a vehicle that had the side airbags - turns out Nissan builds very few Xterras with them.

Picking the new toy up tonight.
  • zagazowzagazow Member Posts: 3
    I just bought, in Ft lauderdale a 2007 Xterra S 2WD in Night Armor, yesterday. Sweeeet. I test drove several vehicles, GMC, Toyota, Chevy, Kia, Hyundai,Mazda etc. before and landed on this strong powerful dependable Xterra.

My advice BUY IT.Got mine for $24000 out the door.
    Stock sound system is good with deep bass sound.
    I ordered mine with no options, when they brought the vehicle for me it came with utility package, mirror with compass, microfilter, retractable car cover,cargo organizer, carpeted floor mats, and some nice splach type pin stipe on side.

Total time at dealer 3 hours. Was starving ate a 12" sub when I finally left dealer.

Salesman was super. But carry a doggie bag with snacks.

I Like!!!
  • albert5albert5 Member Posts: 42
    Hi Everyone,

I'm in the market for the '07 Xterra. I'm not sure which one is better X or S model.
    I will try to negotiate a price with the dealer here in Washington State, any reasonable price that is closest to the invoice?

Thanks
  • williamzwilliamz Member Posts: 2
    Bought our first new car on Monday. It is a Nissan XTerra S-V6 4x4, automatic transmission. The dealer has a loaded one with:

protection package,
    adjustable cargo organizer,
    retractable cargo cover,
    carpeted floor mats,
    in-cabin microfilter,
    auto-dimming rearview mirror with compass,
    tow package

We asked for utility package at the beginning, he installed the Tubular step rails for us, since it is what we really want.

According to carsdirect.com:

MSRP Price: $27,060
    Invoice Price: $25,408

With the $1000 Nissan rebate and $500 college graduate rebate, The final price we got before tax is $23100.

We bought the car in Philly area.

Thanks for all the help we got from here.
  • hawi7hawi7 Member Posts: 12
    The S model has power windows, locks, etc... well worth it in my opinion. Also, the wheels are upgraded. I have an 06 4X2 Offroad model but am less than satisfied with the stock stereo and lack of 4 wheel drive in deep sand (here in Hawaii).
  • hawi7hawi7 Member Posts: 12
  • mgoosemgoose Member Posts: 11
    Try Advantage Nissan in Brenerton, Will seel new Nissans $500 under invoice minus applicable rebates.