Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi 3000GT help

kielbasa16kielbasa16 Member Posts: 11
Hey,
I'm wondering about an intake system for my 93 3000GT VR-4. I was told that for a twin turbo a cold air intake system is not necessary and won't make too much of a difference. This same person told me to just go with the RAM intake. Is this true? Any information is always appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• 3kgt3kgt Member Posts: 1
    hey does anyone know where i can find a 3000gt single turbo kit and how fast an 1995 3000gt 0 to 60 is thanx
  • helpmy3000gthelpmy3000gt Member Posts: 1
    Hey Gang,

I got this 98 3000GT SOHC, non-turbo. The CEL came on and I got it check out and the diagnostic said, "Fuel Trim Malfunction Bank #1 and #2." is that the O2 sensors that I have to replace? and it is what's causing my engine to stall, you know, rpm goes up and down and then, stalled. I thought it was the fuel pressure regulator so I changed it, that didn't help. All of your help will greatly be appreciate. Thanks.
  • ahmad08ahmad08 Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys, Im new to all this and i need some help. Im 16 year old male and ive been obsessed and admired working on cars since i was 10. The 3000gt was one of my dream cars and ive found a opportunity to actually get one. I found a automatic white mitsubishi 3000gtbase model DOHC) with 160,000 miles(engine runs fine) for only $300. The body requires some body work on the rear bumber( was backed up into a pole, thats what i was told. I talked to a friend of mine that works at the body shop and i can probably get it repaired cheap. But thats not the problem. I want to get some serious horsepower out of this car and do alot of body mods. But back to the horsepower im worried that i might not be able to get the horsepower because alot of the performance parts sometimes say not for use with an automatic transmission. Now that ive board u with all this story but i realyy need some help.

Thanks, Ahmad
  • turbomamaturbomama Member Posts: 1
    I drive like the old mama I am. Our 3000 is a one-owner garage-kept [non-permissible content removed] cat, with 75000 miles on her. We hardly use it. The first symptom was a minor jolt or kickback when I was driving 30 MPH. A few minutes later, the CEL went on. We took it to the dealer for service immeidately. They flushed out the old tranny fluid area and put in new tranny fluid. They said the computer is not being clear as to what is wrong and decided to start with the tranny fluid change and see what happens. They cleared off the CEL and we claimed our vehicle. Not 24 miles later the CEL's on again and so is the jolt/kick on a speed pickup -- especially at low speeds.

Does anyone with mechanical experience and / or Mits 3000GT expereince here have any idea what can be causing this problem. I already paid this dealership $700.00 for miscellneous repairs and I am not looking forward to what they're hinting at -- for a new transmission or some expensive transmission problems.
    First of all, it's hard to believe with such low mileage and the way I drive it.

Thanks for replies and your time to do so

Turbomama
    :(
  • joee335joee335 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for a cat-back exhaust for a 94' 3000gt sl. I've only found borla exhaust's but thats priced at 800+ dollars. I'm looking for somthing a little cheaper in price around 600 dollar range. I

If anyone can help me out, or atleast tell me what kind of exhaust you might have on your 3000gt please help me out

Thanks ALOT, Joe :)
  • gto4gto4 Member Posts: 1
    Well I ran across this Forum thru Google.

My Cousin owns a 95 3000GT non turbo

He wants to upgrade the brakes ..Would the VR4 OEM caliper fit on the non turbos ? Would that make a better stopping power?

Any other exhuast brand out there besides Borla ?
    And since its non turbo what is the best setup suspension?

Thanks for your replies .
  • magomanmagoman Member Posts: 4
    Hi all welcome to my nightmare! I have a 91 3000GT SL 70k mint. Had the Tranny replaced
    3 months ago the case The Diff came apart inside and cracked the tranny case. $4,700 !!!
    I know the trans on these cars are a big problem. After getting the tranny replaced my
    mechanic said I should have the timing belt replaced it was due at 60k. and it is a interference motor
    and if it lets go it came damage the motor!. Ok had the belt replaced $1200.00!!!!
    two weeks later I notice a noise coming from the motor . I took of the plastic timing belt cover
    and noticed the belt was very loose? I drove it right away to the shop two blocks away and had the
    mechanic look at it, he said wow its loose? leave it here do not drive it and i will check it out..
    After sitting up on his rack for a one month! he called and says it looked like the belt skipped and bent
    some of the exhaust valves and the motor will not turn over!!!!!!
    I was stunned. The car ran fine when I dropped it off ! He is the one that put the belt on for $1,200
    it came loose and now he wants me to pay to get the car fixed!
    I am correct to say he is the one responsible for the work that he did. I should not pay a cent to
    get the car fixed. and maybe get a refund for the $1,200 to put the belt in.
    Not sure what to do with the car? It is only worth $5k in the book, just put in a new trans, clutch?

Any one know a good lawyer in the tristate area...................
  • pcfigpcfig Member Posts: 13
    Greetings to all,Got a '95 3000Gt,(feel bad for those having trouble,especially post #8,you should definitly get the managers attention on this and a lawyer,sorry about that man.)Mine runs great always has,always preventive maintanence,chromed engine 2yrs ago and put new seals/gaskets,o-rings anywhere possible).lost owners manual a year ago,got a periodic warning light-lower right of speedometer cluster,who knows what this is?Alternator?Radiator?(level is fine and volt meter fine).Very bottom light to right of speedometer.
    Thanks for help,
    PCfig
  • bildo1bildo1 Member Posts: 2
    if hes an ase certified mechanic/shop take him to court. small claims court does not require an attorney. You need to find another mechanic and explain to him the situation and if he agrees the prior work was does incorrect get an estimate from a couple of other shops and pay him a 100 bucks and bring him to court with you. You'll win garaunteed!
  • 3000gt_vr43000gt_vr4 Member Posts: 1
    Hey I own the same car saem year same everything! I put a new engine in how ever from a 95 stealth R/t.

Who ever told u an intake system on a turbo car wud be nonsense was actually tlaking nonsense.

Any mod wether it be cat back exhaust to intercoolers. headers or intake as in this matter will be way better on a turbo car than any other non turbo .
    just cuz u have a turbo is gonan triple the HP more than any toher non turbo so a 20Hp gain on a nontrubo car for intake will be 50 to 60 hp(hypo speaking- the best is the hks dual intake(foam heads)
  • hotstuntdriverhotstuntdriver Member Posts: 1
    Ok, so i have a 1991 3000GT SL. It only has 105k miles on it, and in very good condition except that when idling, the RPMs jump drastically from 1500 to 0 almost cutting off!! I was told that this could be due to my cold air intake? Anyone disagree??
  • 86redtoy4x4efi86redtoy4x4efi Member Posts: 5
    my bro bought a 92 (i think) non turbo with a rebuilt engine. anyways, it overheats after about 20 minutes of driving. I checked his car out and i have concluded that its not the thermostat, not the fans, not the radiator. He flushed his radiator because i thought there might be a block, but it still happens. I'm not really an expert mechanic or anything close, but i've done all the tests to eliminate certain probs. anyone know of anything? i was thinkin it could be the head gasket, as my supra had a head problem that overheated my engine a lot and caused it's ultimate demise....... But it is a rebuilt engine so basically...... what could the problems be and is it better to fix, replace head and gasket, or just start over w/ crate engine or something?
    Its my understanding that it is common for the 3000GT's to develope a lifter tick.My '95 base model has developed an incessant and embarrasing one.I read of a way to "cure" this but it involves revving the engine for a periode of a minute at RPM's as high as 8k.I don't like this idea.Anyone know of a cure,cheap or otherwise?Has anyone tried this "revving" idea?Thanks for any/all help.PCFig
  • sassyladysassylady Member Posts: 1
    Hi there ,
    I own a 1992 Mitsubishi 3000 gt SL and this is my 1st year with it in the snow . CAN anyone tell me How it handles in the snow and what to watch out for ???
    :blush: :confuse:
  • jeremiejeremie Member Posts: 2
    3sxperformance.com has redesigned lifters that eliminate that lifter tick. check em out
  • jeremiejeremie Member Posts: 2
    i got a 92 stealth, and i want to make it an rt/tt. anyone know where i can get a dohc engine?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You may also want to check out Engine Swaps (Performance Swaps).

tidester, host
    Hi Sassy,

Your not going to like this......
    I would not even consider driving my '95 in bad weather,certainly not snow.I have 18" tires and manual trans but even in rain my tires spin from starts and slide at stops.The torque on these is a problem(as is the power,which is a good thing,usually).
    If i were you i would invest in a "bad weather" car,something cheap but dependable.
    Perhaps you will have better experience in your driving conditions.i live in MI,just took full coverage off today and put storage ins. only on it."She'll" be back out in 4+ mths.
    Good luck.
  • indianajones2indianajones2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi there!!
    I am new on this forum and I am tring to get an advise whether to buy 99' 3000GT SL with about 80K on it. I've heard that the transmission of these cars is not very good product and they are very defective. It is really a common problem ? Can somebody please advise me shoult I still consider buing this car or should I think about something else?

Thanks

AS
  • stickkingstickking Member Posts: 5
    the hole in the end of the lifter is much more narrow on the pre-99 3000gts to completely stop the noise all you have to do is replace the lifters with 99 3000gt lifters its also the same with the stealth
    the colder the air on a normal car makes all the difference but on a car with an intercooler its just a waste of money and wont make any difference if any thing itll cause too much back pressure in the the tubing and throw out your map sensor
    95-99 3000gt are known for their trnsmission failures the trannies are just junk it would be cheaper on you to either replace with an earlier model such an 92-94 all the transmissions of all the years should bot up to any one of the motors.
    try 3sxperformance.com
    try 3sxperformance.com they have everthing you need for a 3000gt or stealth
  • sunny10sunny10 Member Posts: 1
    whats up
    i own a 963000gt base i wanna get 3000gt vr 4 motor any every thing that vr 4 have i just wanna convert my 3000gt in to vr4 ..........is possible to to that if some one knows email me......aite
    sunny
  • moe92moe92 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1992 dodge stealth rt and when ever am in the car driving when ever i press on the gas paddle i feel like something is just getting stuck , it makes a small noise that u cant notice unless ur driving like puk puk like that and i took that thing to every where and they dont know the problem, and u can feel that this problem is makin the car lose some horse power of the start line but after i go over 40 its fine, what do u guys think about that?
  • vr4707vr4707 Member Posts: 6
    3sxperformance.com you can get up to 13" rotors, with 6 piston calipers for your 3000gt if you wanna pay the buck, these guys aint no joke i highly recommend them. but just incase you're on a budget, they have cheaper drilled and slotted rotors with higher performance calipers that bolt right on. good luck
    David
  • adire_audioadire_audio Member Posts: 1
    i have a few problems with my 3000gt. first of all the main problem is it missing when you take off fast. and when your driving about 40-45 mph its like the car doesn't know what gear to go into and it just seems like its not working right any ideas i would really like to fix the missing. also my oil pressure gauge stopped working for no reason again any help would be really appreactied. Another thing is my coolant light comes on for a while then goes away sometimes when i start the car its on then it just goes away after driving for a while but the coolant is full to the max. i really need to get this stuff fixed so any help would be GREAT :shades: :):) ()ask me anyhting about the car and ill try to help you guys out whit my situation! thanks Greg
    try the water pump, before you take it off take the radiator cap off and turn the car on, if the water sinks inside the radiator then the water pump should be functioning properly otherwise if it doesnt move then theres your problem.
    good luck
    i wouldnt recommend revving the engine at high rpms especially at 8k this would only eventually bend the valves. you might have a sticky valve so you can buy an additive from any auto parts store, and if that doesnt work then you might just have a loose valve. im not quite sure if your car has adjustable valves, but if it does then you might want to get them adjusted a.s.a.p before the noise gets worse.
    hope everything works out for you
  • cpd278cpd278 Member Posts: 1
    A buddy of mine has a 91 3000 GT and he says it only needs a transmission computer and a set of lifters. When it comes to working on engines, I can work on an older Chevrolets but I have never worked on anything foreign. Someone told me that at about 100,000 miles you need to replace the oil pump because they are known to go out about then. He will sell it to me for $800 and it's in good, not great, condition. Is it worth the time, money, and effort? Thanks for the help.
  • steelsabre2steelsabre2 Member Posts: 1
    Hey I just bought a 1996 3000 std. Great car so far but can't find any switch for the antenna. It is currently up about 8 inches and not moving when the car is turned on or off. Also how can I inspect the timing belt? I seem to have a little noise coming from the driver side, front corner of the engine. Thanks for any help and info! Kevin
  • tokeytokey Member Posts: 5
    The antenna in the 3000GT is only controlled by turning the radio on or off....or by turning the Car on or off. If this is not making the antena move then you have a bad motor or your line to the antena broke. When you are inside your car and turn the radio off take a listen to the rear left of the car, you should hear a motor. If not then someone, possibly a past owner, has removed the motor. As far as the timing belt is concerned they should absolutely be changed at 60,000 miles, but be careful this cost a pretty penny. Though, that might not be your problem. My guess is that it has nothing to do with the belt and it is just a squeaky pully. You can actually see the shape of your belt by look and feel.
  • ladykgto94ladykgto94 Member Posts: 2
    Do you have any transmission problem?
  • ladykgto94ladykgto94 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know anything about transmissions? I have already changed the transmissions three times. I am using a used one. It keeps falling out. Does anyone have this same problem?
  • i4nbi4nb Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at a 91 3000GT and I'm wondering if anybody can tell me the differences between the: Coupe 2D, SL Coupe 2D, and the VR-4 Coupe 2D. THanks
  • deandredeandre Member Posts: 1
    What modifications do I have to make to put a turbo engine from a VR4 in my SL? I have a opportunity to purchase a low mileage Turbo engine for a very good price.
  • ldoomzdaylldoomzdayl Member Posts: 2
    hey guys i own a 1997 3000GT SL and this kid i know owns a 2000 acura integra and he thinks that he could take me and were both stock. what do you guys think ? and do you guys know what upgrades that i could do to my 3000 that would give me more speed and power
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You may be interested in Engine Swaps (Performance Swaps).

tidester, host
  • salesp1salesp1 Member Posts: 2
    Wondering if your symptom same as mine?

When starting out engine stumbles at around 2000-2300 rpm (kickback?).

Local dealer said a component on ECM board down - replacement of this board exceeds $1000. When engine warm symptom goes???

I also am only owner of 1991 3000 VR4 with less than 55,000 miles and like you have driven car carefully since new. Area Mitsubishi rep. was very impressed with condition!

My question is about value - how can I set sale value - obviously respect Edmunds but isn't there a 'collector value' for this fairly rare species? Maybe E-Bay the only answer, but if anyone has input would appreciate it.
    91 4BYE4-Florida
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You could try asking in the What's my classic worth? discussion. Failing that, try Real-World Trade-In Values.

Steve, Host
  • darkestknightdarkestknight Member Posts: 1
    ok i have a 94 3k GT base, 140K mi. Recently i had a little wreck with my dads truck, slight body damage, Ever since then when i crank up my car the motor has a weird sound like the fan is hitting something but i checked it and nothing was hitting it. when i listen to it it sounds like maybe its a cam shaft or cam gear sticking but i had that checked out but it wasn't that, when i push the gas it feels like the timing was off but i replaced the timing belt,and the water pump thinking that was it but again it wasn't, i have no idea that is wrong with it my mechanic has no idea and now i dont know what to do. if you can help me let me know ,thanks -
  • darren3darren3 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought this 1995 3000 gt I got it home and the next day it would not start. The little light on the left hand side ot the dash is blinking and yesterday it wasnt so how do i reset the system to get the car to start It has everything working but it wont start up
  • ldoomzdaylldoomzdayl Member Posts: 2
    yo i had the same problem my car is still in the shop bro im pretty sure its your flywheel where you transmission is. wait just tell me does your car only make that noise when its idoling. cause if the sound goes away when you give it some gas than im positive its your flywheel and your gonna have to get you car up on the lift to see it.
  • lard23iamlard23iam Member Posts: 2
    There is a small plastic key with 4 metal contacts that should be inserted just to the right of the steering column. It is about 1 inch wide. If this is not installed, the car will not start. Could be the alarm also...
    Note that if you disconnect the battery for a while (a couple of hours) in an attempt to reset the system, your radio will not function until you enter the passcode. If you don't have the passcode, you'll have to take it to a dealership so they can look it up by the radio's serial #.
  • lard23iamlard23iam Member Posts: 2
    Anyone have any advice on a good, inexpensive cold air intake for the 1995 3000GT? I know that K&N is readily available, how about Injen intakes...any brand better than the others?
  • 3000gtgirl3000gtgirl Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone,I have a 95 3000gt automatic with 60,000 miles,I had new lifters put in last year a new transmisson put in last year and the year before a timing belt.well last week I was driving and my car stalled,steering locked up battery and oil light came on,got out and looked only a quart low on oil, tryed starting it up and would start after 2 attempts waited like 20mins and drove it home which was like 3mins away(luckily).2 days later took short ride in neighborhood in it seemed to lack power and when place in park it seemed to rev up but not real excessive,I love my 3000 and wondering if anyone has had this happen or knows what it could be don't have a lot of cash right now to take 2 dealership and scared of stallin and doing more damage to the 3000.I must say had recent problems with smoke coming out exhaust when car sits for few seconds and been told that I have a few oil leaks,please reply asap.
  • jake32jake32 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1993 GT 3000. Only one of the horn buttons will make the horn sound. The left one produces no horn sound at all. This is the 3.0 2 wheel drive SL with security system. Any ideas?
  • usmcninjausmcninja Member Posts: 1
    just got a 91 3000gt and the idle wont sotp going up and down between 1 and 2 grand i put fuel injector cleaner into it and nothing dose anyone have a idea on what is wrong
  • sinbad4sinbad4 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all-- new here..
    I have a '97 3000 GT SL, 77K miles. I am having an overheating problem of sorts.
    I've changed the thermostat and replaced the radiator cap to no avail. It does not just overheat. I see no leaks or water leaking anywhere, nor is it boiling.
    I check the radiator now before each ride and have to add water (approx 16-32 ounces)
    Also, the overflow is full and water does not get pulled into the radiator when it needs it.
    I don't even know what else to look for at this point (I'm not a mechanic)
    Any help would certainly be appreciated!

Thanks!!

KC