Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Optima 2006.5-2008

lovetosavegaslovetosavegas Member Posts: 73
The new 2006 Hyundai Sonata is a great and popular car. Today Hyundai released the pictures of an upcoming Optima, which is based on Sonata.
It looks better then Sonata in my opinion. It should drive great too. Looks like Hyunkia is on a roll.

Comments

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    go over to the Kia Optima thread here on Edmunds and read the last few posts(posts 444-448 or so)for more coverage of this hot new Kia, the Optima. I didn't know that the one in the picture above and in the Kia Optima thread was the 2007 Kia Optima design. The 2006 Kia Optima will look like the 2005 Kia Optima, then? Just curious.

This car looks great and just looks like it's well-built. HyunKia is riding quite a wave right now. Quite a wave.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Actually, it appears the picture above is the 2006 Optima--the 2006 New Optima. Yes, folks, it looks like Kia is going to do the same thing with the next-gen Optima that they did with the Spectra--confuse the heck out of us. Take a look at:

http://www.safercar.gov/Index2.cfm

Scroll down to where you will see:

2006 Kia New Optima 4-DR w/SAB (PC/Me)
    2006 Kia Optima 4-DR w/SAB (PC/Me)
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    But how will Hyundai/Kia separate the Sonata from the Optima?
  • allfiredupallfiredup Member Posts: 736
    From the pics I've seen so far, the Optima looks fantastic. Much better than the Sonata, which isn't bad looking itself.

Supposedly, future Kias are supposed to be more sporty and Hyundais are geared more toward comfort and luxury. If that is the case, why would the Optima only get a 2.7L V6? Is this the same 2.7 that's currently in several Hyundai and Kia products now?

The 3.3L V6 would make a great combo with the good looks of the Optima. Hopefully they'll decide to offer it, even if they continue with the 2.7L. They could offer the 3.3L on a high-end performance trim level.
  • kguykmhkguykmh Member Posts: 15
    In korea, they named LOTZE will appear on 10th this month

There are three types of engine 1.8, 2.0, 2.4
    :)
    In case of 2.4, the engine is same with 06 sonata's called

theta engine

It's possible to be featured improved 2.7 v6than previous

or 3.3 v6 in it

Better interior and exterior look, much better engine performance, that's certainly all about new Optima

• navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    this thread's been dead for 2 months! :cry:

Kia just unveiled the Optima at Detroit. It looks pretty nice on the outside, but slightly derivative. The front headlights look like the ones on the Infiniti Q45.
  • allfiredupallfiredup Member Posts: 736
    I found these pics of the Optima (known as Magentis in other markets) and it looks pretty darn good. The interior is fantastic looking to me, much better than the Sonata's. The only disappointment is that the V6 option is only a 185hp 2.7L. Maybe Hyundai will share their 3.3L in the near future?

• flash_leeflash_lee Member Posts: 2
    I have a Kia Optima 2001 with 60000 mile used, my Kia dealer sell me the extension warranty, $1000 for 3 years (everything covered), right now, my car runs very well and verything is fine, is it worth to pay such amount for the next the 3 years? thanks.
    You're in the wrong forum.....this is for a future car.

I've got to say it, I'm sorry - but it's amazing how many people want answeres to their problems but post them in the wrong forums! :cry:
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    You might try our Extended Warranties discussion, or talk to current Optima owners in our Kia Optima topic.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jtzjtz Member Posts: 37
    I can kind of understand why the Sanata has more horsepower than the Optima because the Sanata has been out way longer than the Optima; however, it isn't fair that the Sportage has the same horsepower as the Tuscan.
    To me not only does the Optima look better than the Sanata but it also looks better than the Amanti. If anyone noticed people are talking about the new Optima way more than the Amanti; as a result, Amanti sells could go down while new Optima sells go up.
  • flash_leeflash_lee Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, I am a new comer and I am sorry to post my question on the wrong forum.
  • duckhunter1duckhunter1 Member Posts: 9
    Nice review on the new Optima. They used a 2.0L engine so take the 0-60 times with a grain of salt. Looks good as far as handling and fit/finish. Brits prefer handling to outright straight line acceleration so that is what they emphasis. They like the handling. Lets hope we get the Optima/Magentis in N.A. with the European handling.

http://216.239.51.104/search?q=cache:ze4lX43GjL8J:www.autoexpress.co.uk/previews- /63438/kia_magentis.html+lotze+kia+test&hl=en
  • hkianhkian Member Posts: 1
    http://optima.kia.com/

Also don't miss the Blue Gauges and HVAC control like those found in VW, very nice touch! I am sold on the interior!

Navigate to the gallery - interior
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    Is this going to be an Automatic transmission Only car in the USA and do the rear turn signals flash amber like the European/Asian cars?
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I saw some black holes in the bumper of the last exterior picture.

parking sonars maybe?
  • desjydesjy Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I'm a Sales Manager for Kia in Canada, so I have some insight to share for all. The Optima will have the 2.4 and 2.7L powerplants when it arrives in showrooms this Spring. The 2.7 will have an HP rating of 185-192 (depending on emissions), while the 2.4 will churn out 162HP. The Optima won't have the 3.3 Sonata engine until Kia opens its plant in the U.S. That being said, Kia claims the Optima will have sportier handling, and they expect to sell more 4 cyl. then 6 cyl. This car was all about price point in the past; this is no longer the case. Best value in class, not necessarily lowest sticker price.
    Convoluted way of saying you are substantially raising prices, just how much and when will Kia annouce pricing??
  • desjydesjy Member Posts: 2
    No, you miss the point entirely. What I'm saying is that there are cheaper vehicles on the road now eg.2006 Chevy Malibu.
    The Optima will be priced very similar to the previous model, but exceed it in all aspects, especially driving experience. Kia sells their vehicles for less in North America then anywhere else in the world, in order to establish the type of following they have in places like
    the U.K., where they are far and away the fastest growing automaker. Pricing has yet to be released here; I will post as soon as we here. Cheers
    Sorry for the slam, really looking forward to this car as our next 10 year vehicle. We are very price sensitive and Kia/Hyundai has been on our watch list for some time. Great, reliable products which are value priced. Thought the corp was changing their stripes and becoming a higher priced marque brand overnite. Can't wait until the N.A. release.
    I love that light up blue dash board; in addition, the interior of the doors. The radio in the Optima looks more convenient than the Sanata's 1 The part that shows what track on your CD or station you are listening to, is a lot bigger than the Sanata's making it look easier to read; also, the automatic climate control is higher; in addition, the screen is bigger in that nice looking blue showing making it look easier to reach and read. By looking at the exterior between the two cars, I think the Optima would look more expensive ;however, I bet that Hyundai will price Kia's Infinitish looking car about 1 grand less than their Sanata.
  • jcm68jcm68 Member Posts: 33
    You can't compare both cars. The Sonata has a big advantage under the hood that is ridiculous to even compare both cars. I know that appearance is a matter of taste and it is a very subjective thing but I think the new Sonata even though there is no originality in style still the better looking of both cars. I know it look like a mix of the Honda Accord Accord (Back), the Audi the S4 (Side), and the Acura TL (front), but who care? IMO it is better than the GM looks of the new Kia Optima. At least for me, like I said............it is a subjective thing. But what we can't deny is the fact that the Rear Window sunshade of the Kia Optima V6 does not compensate its 50hp disadvantage in relation to the Sonata V6. Not 5, not 15, not 25........................50HP difference!

Now that is a HUGE difference. The only thing I prefer about the Optima over the Sonata is the blue colored dash lighting compared to the ugly yellow/greenish in the Sonata. Again, in terms of power of both cars most expensive trim (LX), the Sonata is a MLB league player and the Kia Optima stayed one more time playing in the AA league. How can Kia justify a V6 w/ less than 190hp this days? FYI, the Sonata is 235 compared to the weak 185 of the new Chevy looking Optima. ........................
  • jcm68jcm68 Member Posts: 33

">So the horsepower is low compared to the Sonata, but if the person reads a few post messages above this one, the Kia dealer said that as soon as Kia Opens up a plant here in the States (like Hyundai did) than that is when they will up grade this very attractive non looking GM ,but Infinitish looking ride. I would have Kia Optima pictures and Sanata pictures; however, I don't know how to place any photos from my computer to this message board. http://www.autowereld.com/autonieuws/detail.asp?artikel=3040
    I also looked up information about this car and to me all the Sanata has better than Optima is HORSEPOWER; except, for the features like a tire pressure motoring system and the Optima is the only car with six full length side air bags. So I guess the Sanata curtain air bags are not full length. Don't believe, here is my back up! http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060109/lam067.html?.v=36 Furthermore the new Optima was test driven by a profesional driver in UK and that person said that the New Optima's handling is better than Sanata's and it makes it even better to drive, even if it is lacked on horsepower. I have more photos if someone could post the next message and show me what I am doing wrong I can really show you the Kia Optima from professional photos and not from far distance ones. Ohh I wish I knew how to place photos on here.
    Placing photos is easy. When posting a message, click the "Img" button, above the confused looking car face and beside the Url button. Copy the picture's url there and post the message.
    The Sonata has "full length" side curtains also, same as the Optima. One thing the Sonata has that the Optima does not is standard ESC (it's available on the Optima however). But it appears from the Kia web site that the Optima has standard adjustable pedals and heated front seats--nothing is said about these features being optional or available only on some trim lines.
    imageIt still doesn't work. I right clicked and went to copy but it doesn't work. I even tried dragging the picture from my window to this message board. I so badly want to show some REAL pictures of this nice looking car. Help :cry:
  • ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    He also stated that it was the only car with 6 standard airbags, which is not true. The Accord comes with standard "full length" side curtain airbags also. Other cars have it, but it's optional.

jtz: E-mail the host, they can help you.
    It's easy, look.

1. Press the Img button on the bottom.
    2. Copy and paste the link.
    3. Close the tag.
    4. Post message.

If you want you can just post a link to the webpage of the pictures and we can find them.
    I hope this works. These pictures are nice;however, They may not let everyone view all pictures or non at all. Just see what happens. Before looking at photos read about what the person said after test driving this car. Remember once someone leaves this web site that person may have to wait the next day to view this ad and pictures again.
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/previews/63438/kia_magentis.html
    Thanks for the link. I had no problem seeing the photos. It appears Kia is continuing its trend to make the ride and handling of its cars a little sportier than that of the Hyundai counterparts. It's too bad that some of the features mentioned in the review won't make it to the U.S., e.g. electronically-adjustable ride and nav system. I guess someone who pays the equivalent of $30,000 (16,500 GBP) for a car expects features like those. The good news is that we Yankees won't need to pay anything close to that for an Optima.

The photos helped me figure out what car the Optima resembles the most. The Corolla. Especially in front and rear. The C pillar is unlike the Corolla's but is nondescript. The overall look of the car is fine, but in a bland, unremarkable way. But as Toyota and Honda have proven, bland styling in this class is no impediment to big sales numbers.

One thing I am wondering: the Optima's wheelbase is 10mm shorter than the Sonata's. It takes big bucks to modify an existing platform. So is it possible the Optima rides not on the Sonata's platform, but on the platform that will be used for the '07 Elantra--which is bigger than the current Elantra?
    You know what though, I bet as soon as Kia opens up their plant in the States I expect a lot of changes in this car and the other models, besides just horsepower. I look at it like this, because Kia doesn't have a plant yet they have to take a lot of slack from Hyundai; however, as soon as they open up a plant,there will be no more saying Optima lacks horsepower; also, you are right this car's appearance does seem sportier by looks and what test drivers said.

Just think if the handling is better than Sanata's it is no telling what this car will really be like when it gets it's engine upgrade, like a 3.3L engine or more.
    I don't care about the V6 question because the I4 has plenty of power for me. But it might matter to people in the market for a V6.

BTW, it's Sonata, not Sanata. You might get people thinking the Hyundai is named after Carlos Santana. :)
    Sanatona, backy? ;)

• negativenegative Member Posts: 107
    I saw the "2006.5" Optima at the Philadelphia Auto Show last night and really liked it. I am probably going to be buying a Sonata now that I've seen the '07 Camry and was unimpressed. Compared with the Sonata GLS, the cloth interior of the Optima EX was much nicer, with a better grade of fabric, and a lot more gizmos, including a better stereo and adjustable pedals. I much prefer cloth seats to leather, which limits me to a Sonata GLS -- in the middle of the Sonata lineup.

The sales rep. at the show said the Optima will be available in late March.

The big problem for me in buying a Kia is that while the Hyundai dealer near me is a big player, with Honda, Nissan and Toyota franchises, too, the Kia dealer is in an old used-car-lot shack and looks like it'll go bankrupt any day. Proximity of a dealer is important to me. I don't want to have to drive ten miles for service when this one goes belly up.
    aren't you being kind of...umm...negative? ;)

• negativenegative Member Posts: 107
    Yup. I have to be, if it's my money at stake.
    I have chosen to buy two Kia's so far and may get another one soon. I like this new '07 Kia Optima but don't know about gas mileage for the 2.4L 4cylinder-did the report say something about high 20's?

The car has a good looking design to it in early looks at it.

• mechanic80mechanic80 Member Posts: 122
    Don't be in such a hurry for an American KIA plant. I'd like to see the jobs here as much as anyone else, but take a look at the Hyundai forum for the new Sonata built in Alabama. There are significant build quality issues. I hope this can be resolved quickly. I agree that the styling of the '07 Optima isn't daring, but it is likeable! As long as KIA keeps up the build quality and keeps down the price tag, we've got another winner. :)
    In case anybody forgot, the new models so far has been ranked very high when it came to quility. The Sportage and Amanti has won to awards for that(http://www.kia.com); moreover, the Spectra was ranked highest fuel car after the Toyota Prius (http://www.kia.ca). Look at Kia's concepts (http://www.kiamotors.com)vs (www.hyundai.com) they look more attractive and they seem more serious in production planning than Hyundai. So far. Just last year in 2005 Kia introduced the Mesa concept while Hyundai had this Protico concept. Also they had introduced a pickup a year after that. Now it is Februrary and they are planning to show a facelift Sorento this month along with a new concept called the Ceed (pronounce Seed and if it's a stupid name click on http:www.kiamotors.com to find out why it's called Ceed) http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060217/free/60217003/1041 anything else? Also I can expect a plant by Kia Motors to open up soon. "Were going after Kia" Allen said. "I know if we can get them here, we can sell them." (http://www.themonitor.com/SiteProcessor.cfm?Template=?Global Templates?Details.cfm&StoryID=11220&Section=Local
    Kia has plenty of areas to open their plants; however, it seems they are taking their time.
    I saw the 2006.5 Optima at the Chicago Auto Show. It was an EX model, red with black leather--two options not available on the Sonata--and looked pretty sharp. The interior room didn't seem significantly different than the Sonata's. The blackout gauges were interesting--you can't see them at all when the ignition is off.
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    I'm located in the midwest, and every Kia dealer I've seen has been a small undercapitalized standalone or one bundled with Hyundai. And with the latter, Kia's are always on the most distant part of the lot. But, in the south, it's a totally different matter. I just returned from a business trip to Orlando and the first Kia dealer I saw was as large and modern as the Toyota dealership across the street. And, what an inventory!
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    What kind of issues are you hearing about with the Sonata built in Alabama? I have been following the Sonata forum for quite some time now, and guess I have been missing something. It seems to me like they are doing great. :confuse:
  • crazyfuzzcrazyfuzz Member Posts: 7
    Hey everyone,

Just wanted ya'll to know pricing has been posted on the 2006.5 Kia Optima webstie: http://optima.kia.com/

Sounds like a winner to me! :shades:
  • b3nutb3nut Member Posts: 83
    There are two Kia dealers in Madison WI, and they both are usually well-stocked, though Russ Darrow Kia on the west side has more Rios than Capitol Kia on the east side. Both are adjacent to larger domestic dealerships owned by the same respective established concerns, so Kia's getting pretty solidly based in Wisconsin. Also there's Harms Kia down in Janesville, nice modern facility but I noticed on their stickers they like to tack on a lot of extras, like pinstriping (which is tacky IMHO). They've got a lot of last year's Rios they're trying to unload...had to drive around their lot awhile to find an 06. Darrow's is nice, it's closest to me and they let me take a Rio5 out alone. That's most likely where I'll be buying my Rio5 in a couple months.

That new Optima...wow. Love the blue dash lights! That's a sharp car right there...nice inside and out. I could get used to a car like that. :D Way to go Hyundai-Kia...you guys are kicking butt. Kia styling especially...they're making some *really* nice-looking vehicles.

Todd in Beerbratistan
    So the price hasn't really increased for the LX though; however, the EX has. That just shows how much value this NICE looking car has!
  • mechanic80mechanic80 Member Posts: 122
    Nothing earth-shaking on the build quality issue but not unimportant. Spare tire mounting loose and rattling (several reports.) Trim bezels on seat belt anchors missing/backward(?), misalignment of (unspecified) exterior molding. Little stuff. But, like I said, not unimportant.
    For your information, the trim bezels on the seat belt anchors are located in the trunk. To me this is more convenience because if I am loading something very long I can just push the button from the truck and the back seats go down without even opening up the back door. If the spear tire is lose and rattling, were you driving it at the auto show or did you just open up the truck and happened to miss the trim bezels yet went into the spear tire and moving it. Because you witnessed that the spare tire was lose and rattling(to me unimportant) did you at least get into the drivers seat? I did and I noticed and other non Kia customers noticed that in all the cars in the midsize class that it had the most leg room than most of the cars in it's class. I seen a lot of people gathered around the car ;yet, I didn't see anyone fooling around with a spare tire. Is the spare tire matching alloy or temporary steel?