Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Optima 2006.5-2008

Comments

• dkh1967dkh1967 Member Posts: 8
    I guess so. It's better than it was before.

I really like this car. I wanted something a lot more roomy than my old car and I didn't want to give up a 4 cyl. engine. This is by far the strongest I4 I've ever owned. I read one MT review where one guy reported that all the judges thought it was V6.

I didn't think the styling was that big of a deal. But it did turn heads when I drove into work. When people asked what kind of car it was they just kind of chuckled. I just walked on. But I caught a few still turning around and looking at it. I know the old KIA mentality folks have towards its reliability.

KIA would be out of their mind setting a nice 5yr/60k mile warranty on a car that is not up to par. They'd go broke fixing them. Honda and Toyota have the 3yr/36k mile warranty bumper to bumper. Honda and Toyota's power train is equal to my bumper to bumper.

Since I bought it second hand I'm only allowed the bumper to bumper and not the 10yr/100k mile powertrain warranty. While my parent's bumper to bumper warranty on their 08' Accord will run out.. Mine will still be going strong. I feel like a winner....
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Yep, the Optima has that "power to surprise" a lot of people, doesn't it? ;)
  • tcsftcsf Member Posts: 3
    It's been almost 5 months since I have the car. After the initial problem with the engine light coming on after 3 days and the poor service from the dealer where I bought the car, things are a lot better all round.

The service department at the dealer has improved (maybe due to the numerous calls to KIA customer service ???).

Thus far, I had changed engine oil and filter twice, first time after owning it for a week because it was an 07 car and had been sitting in the lot since March, 07 and the oil in it could be > 1 year old. I sent the car in for the "first service" after 3 months. As I have mentioned in my previous posting, the car is seldom used. After 5 months, there is only 2100 miles on it, mostly driven on short trips between 50-150 miles on weekends. I have not checked its MPG. Tires at 35psi, checked weekly.

The interior has held up well over the bumpy NYC roads with all the potholes and uneven surfaces. No rattling sounds, sign of decent (good?) workmanship of assembled parts. A nice feature is the solar glass used, save me $ as I do not have to tint the windows and other glasses. I have compared it to my niece Camry and my sister Matrix, and they both said this car is really more quiet & the ride is better.

I have also "dressed up" the car, adding the sunroof deflector, mud guards front and rear, window visors, trunk cargo liner and the all weather floor mats. I manage to find a KIA dealer out west where the prices are much cheaper than here in NY. The only other accessory added is a simple passive alarm, wired to work with the car keyless entry remote.

After the initial tiny problem, I have to say that the car has been a real surprise. :)
    If I were you, I would not change oil more often than the "severe" service interval for the car (what is that, 3000 miles?) or every 6 months, whichever comes first. However, changing out that original oil real quick was a good idea.
  • bifphbifph Member Posts: 1
    My 2006.5 Kia Optima has had its check engine light come on at 40,000 miles due to the Variable Valve Timing Control (VVTC) according to my mechanic.

Has anyone here had a similar experiance? How was it eventually solved?
    Or just take it to your friendly neighborhood Kia dealer and have them fix it, since it's still under warranty.
  • epekarikepekarik Member Posts: 6
    Hello,
    Anyone knows where the fuel filter located on 2007 Optima 4 Cylinder 2.4L?
    I'm ready to change it, but like to know if accessible from under the car,
    thnx
    Endre
    Hello,
    Is there a cabin air filter for the 2007 Optima ?
    thnx
    Endre
    Hello,

Most of today's cars call for plug replacement at 100k but the Optima 2006.5+ calls for every 30k. Is it because the plug type that is installed at the factory and a better plug would go farther, or is it the design of the engine?

\thnx
    Endre
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    I've always suspected that the high maintenance costs are there to offset the cost of the warranty.
  • cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381
    Yes, you have a cabin filter and your fuel filter is in the tank.

As mentioned on the Kia forum most of your questions are answered in your owners manual &/or in the online service manual.
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Member Posts: 936
    The cabin air filter is behind the glove box, and the fuel filter is in the gas tank.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    take a look at my '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS parked next to a new world order 2006.5 and/on Kia Optima. I had just parked outside a Tucson Barnes and Noble to read up on the latest car magazines when the good inpiration hit me to grab my BlackBerry cellphone and snap a pic of these two attractive babies.

The two cars have very different body designs but I dig them both.

I like the new world order Optima's and the Optima was on my finalist's list of possibilities before I snagged this '08 Lancer GTS at Avondale Mitsubishi of Avondale, AZ (located about 9 miles west of Phoenix). Lovin' this Arizona sun and lack of snow and ice, gentlemen. :blush:

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

I would love to see the pic,but there is no link :(
    what, I see it on my screen. Does it appear as the dreaded red 'X'? Oh, no!

this picture now...so, take a look at my '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS parked next to a new world order 2006.5 and/on Kia Optima. I had just parked outside a Tucson Barnes and Noble to read up on the latest car magazines when the good inspiration hit me to grab my BlackBerry cellphone and snap a pic of these two attractive babies.

The two cars have very different body designs but I dig them both.

I like the new world order Optima's and the Optima was on my finalist's list of possibilities before I snagged this '08 Lancer GTS at Avondale Mitsubishi of Avondale, AZ (located about 9 miles west of Phoenix). Lovin' this Arizona sun and lack of snow and ice, gentlemen. :blush:

This polar white '06.5 Kia Optima is very similar(like exactly the same as) to the one I saw on vacation in Jackson Hole, WY, in the spring of 2006. It caught my eye as being a sharp new design. But then Kia has always had superior body designs on their new rigs, and there are more coming up from them that are stunning body designs. They acquired a guy by the name of Peter Schreyer from Audi Motors(he designed the Audi TT) and Peter has been up to some great work for Kia. It's all Kia, Mitsubishi and Pininfarina-Bollore and their new all-electric car called the B0(pronounced B-Zero) for me from this point onward. :shades:

I tried to pull the air filter out from behind the glove box. Is there a trick to it? I don't want to break something. I was pulling it but didn't move.... thnx Endre
    It's not easy to explain.Did you read your owners manual? Basically you stick in both hands,pinch the two thingies between thumb and forefinger and pull.
    Good luck and Merry Christmas. ;)
    Well... I ended up taking it to the dealer. I didn't mind paying .5 hours labor to see how it is done. The problem is that the tabs you push together are small and it is hard to push both sets together and pull at the same time. They showed me a trick. Get a hook, sort of a small flat head screw driver bent at the end 90 degrees. Wedge the end of the hook between the filter they and the frame at the side, not the top or bottom of tray. Pull with he hook on the side while pushing the tabs together on the same side. Repeat on both other side. It took about 20 minutes for the mechanic with no success. Than he found the hook in his toolbox. With the hook, it popped out in a few seconds.....

The reason I wanted to do it, because the auto part store has the filter for $20 and the dealer asks $60 for the same filter.

Now, if could just learn how to do the PCV valve too :)
    $60...? wow,I only paid around $25 at my dealer.You should shop around for a better dealer.They do not charge the same for their parts.
    ZI had no trouble getting the filter out,but once I got it out,the filter was not a real good fit.There is a bit of a space between the filter and the filter frame.
    What was harder for me was dropping the glove box.
  • aruba531aruba531 Member Posts: 11
    Did anyone get a card in the mail regarding a safety issue recall on your 2007 Optima? The card doesn't say what it's about and to honor the extended warranty I have to respond within 72 hours. Does anyone know what this is about? Thanks, Sue
    I smell a rat. A bona-fide safety recall action, i.e. triggered by the NHTSA, would state the nature of the recall and would not give you only 72 hours to respond in order to honor the extended warranty. To me, this sounds like one of those imaginative (but misleading) marketing ploys we sometimes get in the mail. You could call Kia Customer Service or a Kia dealer to verify that there really is a safety-related recall on your car--they will ask for the VIN.
    I had my tranny fluid changed today at a KIA dealer,and there was no mention of any recall. :confuse:
    I was put off by the short mileage fluid requirements in the manual. How many miles when you changed it? How much did it cost you?
    No problems what so ever on my wife's car, now in it's 26th month.
    I just changed it at 25K and the dealer asked "why so soon"?
    I do it every two years,but I know the manual requires it at 18K if heavy use.is your use considered so heavy?
    It cost around $75,but if you get it flushed,it is very much pricier.
    let's try posting this again.

I refuse to let the "red-X" beat me on the internet any more.

This is just a picture of a '06.5 white Kia Optima(could be a later year model I spose)and our '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS out in front of a Tucson Barnes and Noble store several months ago.

Taken just 'cause I like both kinds of automobiles and this was a great chance to get 'em both in one picture.

Did you see the post about changing plugs at 30,000 miles?
    I didn't see that in my owners manual. Surely that is only for the "heavy use" owners...isn't it?
  • jackier1jackier1 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2008 with 13 miles 8 months ago and have had to take it back 5 times. Started with check engine light with less than 1000 miles, escalated to the car stalling when driving, usually after filling up the gas tank with no warning at all. First visits to the dealer-they sent me home after hooking it up to the computer system telling me nothing was wrong or they just didn't know what the problem was. last few visits they replaced fuel filters and the gas tank. Car is still stalling and have had two close calls with the car quitting when pulling out into traffic. Last call to Kia-they told me to work with the dealer. Dealer claims they don't know what else to do. i have less than 10500 miles on the new car and might have to make a legal claim. Is anyone else having this same problem-huge safety problem and major inconvenience
    I have a 2006.5 Optima with the I4 engine.I think that mechanically it is pretty much the same car as yours,assuming you have the 4cyl engine.I have had exactly 0 driveability issues to date and I have around 25,000 miles on my KIA.
    You might consider the lemon law.I am no expert,but I would just not accept that kind of issues as they create a safety problem. :lemon:
  • newbie08newbie08 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Everyone
    I was lucky enough to get a 08 optima 9 mi on it!! new and nice BUT...... am I missing something? The other night I went out to the car to check it out and opened the hood and no light?? it was 11 pm and well if I ever have a problem at night you cant see a thing?? is there one I dont see? or am I just not going to have that as a feature of my car 08 optiima lx 4 cyl 5 speed, :)
    Good grief Charlie Brown...don't judge a car by lack of a feature such as an under- hood light.Why are you checking under your hood at 11 PM anyway? Lose something? :confuse:
  • newbie08newbie08 Member Posts: 2
    NOT JUDGING IN A BAD WAY!! LOVE THE CAR IT WAS A GREAT DEAL AND HAS ALOT OF FEATURES BUT NOT HAVING A LIGHT UNDER THE HOOD WAS A SUPRISE I THOUGHT IT HAD TO BE THERE SOMEWHERE? AFTER ALL EVERY TIME YOU PULL THE MIRROR OUT THATS ATTACHED TO THE SUN VISOR THE LITTLE LIGHT COMES ON, GEES HAS ONE THERE BUT NOT UNDER THE HOOD? CANT BE RIGHT??? :shades:
    Newnie,
    My Optima EX cost around 22.5K and has no hood light.My 97 Chrysler Town & Country LXi cost 33K and had no hood light.
    I cannot remember a car I've had that had that a hood light.Out of curiosity,what car have you owned that had that feature?
    I vaguely remember having a hood light on some auto I had owned,but I cannot remember what it was.
    Here's an idea:

1. Go to local discount or hardware store.
    2. Buy a $2 flashlight
    3. Put flashlight in glovebox.

Problem solved! :)
    I have a better idea..You might address this to the one who actually has the issue.I have no problem with my no light under the hood KIA Optima
    It was a general comment, not directed specifically to you. You just happened to make the previous post in the chain. Lighten up (pun intended :) ).
    Good one !
    There are things about my Optima that I am surprised it does and doesn't have. KIA's are built to a price and they put on smart equipment, not a lot of junk. That is one thing I have noticed. I like the struts that hold up the hood. You don't see that on many cars in that price range. My parents bought a new Honda Accord EX-L and it doesn't have hood struts or a light. So they have to fool with that rod.. I was shocked on that.

KIA doesn't have automatic locking doors when I slide it out of park or get to a certain speed, but my Ford Focus did. And it jacked the price up on the Focus. Each one of these little items keep the price higher. That is why KIA can build a good car at a good price. They have decided what drivers REALLY need and what they can do without. It keeps the price to a minimum.

If I need to lock my doors I just hit the lock button to lock them all. I can feel your pain a little when it comes to the light under the hood. I know what you mean. I missed it on the last four cars I had. Maybe cars run better these days and they don't think you'll break down on the side of the road and need that light. And with KIA (keeping that price low) it could be one more item that would take the price the other way..

Just my two cents worth... Still love my 2007 Optima LX 5 spd auto...
    And the Accord doesn't have struts for the trunk lid, either. Instead it has the old-fashioned spring lifters that take up trunk space and can crush cargo.
    You're exactly right.... I did a evil snicker when I saw those two bars (like cars used in the old days in trunks, and some still do) come slapping down in that Honda. I thought, "Wow, they really designed my KIA well." Those trunk struts are on the left and right side. I think that is a German design because my Focus had that.

I need to take one thing back.... my Optima has only ONE hood strut. I just went out and checked.. Regardless I just throw it up an that is that.. I do miss the light under the hood to check the oil in my dark garage.

I think one of those shielded work-light that hook onto the inside of the hood work great.

You guys have a good day..
    A BMW 3-Series I owned had only one hood strut too. That may be to maximize access to the engine.
    Hyundai and KIA both have auto-locking doors.A tech just needs to program them.They might tell you that they can't do it,but they would be wrong.You just need to find a more knowledgeable tech.
    you already sold the Beemer? Wow, that didn't last long!

No, some love affairs are fleeting. Sometimes you find out that sexy lady is "high maintenance", likes to grab your credit card a lot etc. I could go on with this metaphor, but I'll spare everyone so we can return to our regularly scheduled program. ;)
    got it. Now back to our regularly scheduled auto program.

• jimrichjimrich Member Posts: 4
    My '07 kia is very nice BUT the gas pedal is a little too light and makes smooth, gradual accel rather difficult and jerky sometimes. I want to know if anyone has adjusted the tension of your gas pedal and how.
    thanks,
    Jim :)
    You'll get used to it.I did.
    More than 28 months on my wife's car with absolutely no problems. Flawless. Gas mileage is slowly improving.
    You are trying to get some action CS? I'm afraid that the KIA Optima thread is dying from lack of interest.Have you checked out this car on youtube? Or Facebook? There are some posts there.