Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Optima 2006.5-2008

Comments

• bmetelskybmetelsky Member Posts: 10
    I have 58,000 on my 2007 Kia Optima and it continues to run like a charm! I have only had one issue to date - the serpentine belt needed to be replaced at 30,000 miles - a little soon in my estimation. I'm assuming it was a quirk. The car still looks and runs great!
  • aruba531aruba531 Member Posts: 11
    Just last week I had to get my serpentine belt replaced on my 2007 Kia Optima too. I had 29,000 miles on mine. I got the 100,000 mile warranty and it wasn't covered. Said it was one of those maintenance items. I was so mad, I had my husband change it for me. Also other problems I had was getting my directional fixed. Right after I bought the car that went, but was covered, but it was a pain losing the car for a couple of days. 1st time when I brought it in, they had to order the part so I ended up losing the car for the whole day till they decided to tell me that and then had to do it all over again the next time. This week my front tire keeps losing pressure. Found out nail was in the side wall. I know this isn't Kia's problem, but I haven't had much luck lately. Also found a dead bird in my grill. Must be an omen. haha
  • dkh1967dkh1967 Member Posts: 8
    It's been a great car. The only thing I don't like is the automatic transmission changing too quick. I'll say the 2.4 has a lot of power! I've never driven a 4 banger like this one before. But it seems like a lot of power for the transmission to take.

Overall this is one of the best cars I've ever owned.. And that 5th gear slows those RPMs on interstate. I'll be doing 80 before I know it. The cruise control is a nice feature and a needed one to keep from getting tickets. It's a smooth car on the open road. Friends that have driven it swear to God it's a 6 cylinder... It's also the quietest 4 cylinder I've ever had when its idling. It's a nice ride to be an economy, cheaper brand. I get lots of "what is that?" at work. The headlights and overall look gives it an uprate look. :blush:
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    I agree that the transmission hunts between gears. I usually shove it into manual mode in fifth on long trips. This increases gas mileage.
  • jimrichjimrich Member Posts: 4
    I am getting a lot of specific info to flush my '07 2.4 optima transmission. When I look at info in Kia tech web page, there are a lot of details missing.
    For example, I just bought a filter for my trans which mounts outside like an engine oil filter but see nothing like that at the Kia Tech page (?). I haven't looked under the car yet to see if there is such an external filter.

My question is which is the return line to the trans cooler?
    Have any of you flushed an '07 optima trans? If so, can you offer any special info about problems or details on doing a flush?
    thanks
    jim :)
  • rfeltrfelt Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking of buying a 2008 model KIA optima, but not sure. Is it a good car? Are the any problems I should know about? Is the quality good?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The only significant problem I have with the 2008 Optima is that important safety features--ABS and ESC--are optional and almost impossible to find, especially on the I4 cars. And I think the I4 is a much better buy than the weak V6, which has higher maintenance costs (timing belt vs. chain, harder to replace spark plugs etc.) than the I4. If the lack of ABS and ESC doesn't bother you, you can find great deals on the 2008 Optima, either as a new close-out (may still be a few left) or a slightly used car.
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Member Posts: 936
    I have a 2006.5 Optima EX and the only difference is that mine has a tape deck in additional to the 6 disk CD changer.I have K on it and I still love it.No problems.You might get a better deal on a 2007,and it is essentially the same car.I agree with the other poster that the 2.4 engine is by far the better option.
    I would definitely recommend this car to anyone,even friends and family members.
    Keep in touch to let us know your impressions if you get an Optima.
    Backy ole chum,no offense,but how can you have a problem with something that you don't have?(scratching head)Many EX models with I4 engines have those features,don't you agree? Mine certainly does.
    I can have a "problem" in the fact I would probably own an Optima now would it not be for the hard-to-find ABS and ESC before 2009 MY. And when I was looking high and low for an Optima, new or used, with ABS/ESC I found ONE (EX) I4 model within a 500 mile radius of me (actually it was about 400 miles away, in Schaumburg) in a six-month period. I also found one used 2007 EX I4, but it was sold before I could get to it. I wouldn't call that "many."
    Now come on Backy.Having difficulty finding a car with the options you want does not constitute a problem with the car.
    I will admit that finding a used EX is not easy.Maybe that is because that once somebody buys one they keep it.That is how I am with my Optima.So far it's been a joy.
    Some dealers offer only the more expensive flush,but that is not required.I just get the fluid changed approx every two years by a dealer and my warranty is all good.That is more than is required in the owners manual.When I got my change at around 25K miles,they asked me why? They recommended changing the tranny fluid at 30K miles.
    SONATA
    What were the symptoms of a bad serpentine? 30K seems like a very early demise for any belt.
    The poster asked if there were "any problems" they should know about. They didn't specify what kind of problem. I think that not having ABS readily available on a modern car is a problem. A big one. If you don't, fine. Can we move on?
  • mikemartinmikemartin Member Posts: 205
    Guys, I need a fast answer, if possible.

What warranty protection do I get on a used 2006.5 (new body style) Optima LX?

I know that the 10 year/100k mile powertrain warranty doesn't transfer, but what about the 5 year/60k bumper to bumper warranty (which includes the powertrain)?

And if that does transfer, how do I prove the previous owner followed Kia's service schedule?

I am under the impression that if the previous owner did not follow Kia's service schedule, even on a minor issue, Kia will try to void the entire warranty if I have an issue.

Any help would be appreciated.
    I think that is a question better answered by a dealer.I assume that you don't have the receipts.
    Mike,no offense,but why would you buy a car that hasn't been properly maintained.
    As far as I know,the only maintenance that would affect the warranty would be the oil changes and the tranny fluid changes.That is only if those two units were to fail.Surely not rotating the tires(just an example) would affect your warranty.
    If it were me,I would do a complete service on this car, and thereafter faithfully follow the recommended service while keeping all the receipts.
  • epekarikepekarik Member Posts: 6
    I find that it shifts up a bit too early, especially when I slowly accelerate up hill. Usually I put it into manual shift and don't shift up till I get to 3500 or 4000 rpm. I might loose a bit of economy, but much easier on the valves.
    mickey, thanks for the reply.

I don't know that the prior owner failed to maintain the car per Kia's recommended service schedule.

What I'm saying is that I'd like to know that they did, and have the records to prove it, in case there's a problem later, and Kia brings the issue up.
    There's not that many options here:

1) You are buying the car from a Kia dealer. You get them to state, in writing, that the car is covered by the remainder of the 5/60k factory warranty. After that, it's up to you to maintain the car according to the manufacturer's recommended service schedule.

2) The owner had the car serviced at a Kia or other service center that maintains computer records. You get a printout of those records and verify the car was maintained properly.

3) The owner has hardcopy records of all servicing, showing the car was maintained properly.

4) The owner makes a written, sworn (before a notary public) statement that he/she performed all service according to the manufacturer's service schedule (not sure that will satisfy Kia if there's a dispute, but it's better than nothing).

5) Carfax shows all servicing was done (not real likely, as I've found Carfax unreliable in showing ALL servicing records).

Or,

6) You can't verify that the car was serviced according to the manufacturer's schedule, hence buying the car is a crapshoot, in multiple ways.
    Thanks Backy.

I'm finding out that warranty issues are an often overlooked technicality by a lot of used car buyers, not just Kia buyers, and if one is not careful, lack of due diligence will come back to bite one in the rear with an expensive and uncovered repair.
    Was surprised to see the overall evaluation of the 07 Optima to be under eight, especially since it was quite high the last time I checked. Note the large block of extremely low rated comments, things I never see on the forum

http://www.edmunds.com/kia/optima/2007/consumerreview.html

--- is there some kind of Toyota salesman out there getting even or does the 07 really suck (earlier and later models don't seem to reflect this), and last time I checked

http://www.truedelta.com

had owners experience with the Optima at the top end.
    All the really negative comments are puzzling. Seems to be many cars with multiple transmission failures, head gasket failures, starter failures, etc. But some comments are really strange. Like the one about the owner who had lots of problems starting at 42k miles, so he sold it, and "a month later" the new owner said he'd had lots of "insanely expensive problems" with the car. Which means either that new owner drove over 18k miles on the car in very short time period (so the warranty was used up), or Kia didn't honor the warranty for these problems. :confuse: Then there's the one where "Hyundai" refused to honor the warranty because they said service was not performed at a dealership. Uh, isn't this a KIA??

Also consider CR's reliability data has the '07 Optima rated "Much above average" (red dot) as of April 2009, which is about the timeframe of many of the negative comments (that issue was published around March 1, 2009). All of the engine and transmission categories are "much above average" also. The timing is... interesting.

I particularly like "Bev"''s multiple reviews. First she writes a balanced review, some negative but some positive marks. Then someone else posts a review with all 1's. Bev comes back and posts another review a few days after her first, this time with all 1's.

It's also interesting how some engine and transmission problems can affect a car's comfort, and interior and exterior design--those are 1's too. :surprise:
    Either I have been incredibly lucky,or those are posts created by the NRC. I love my KIA and it now has over 30K miles on it.You might remember my problems with the passenger seat air bags,but once that annoying problem was solved,the Optima has been nothing short of perfection.I'll let you know if that ever changes,but all I've done so far is change the oil,rotate tires and one time change the tranny fluid. :shades:
    Hi Backy.Sure hope those posts are hoaxes.I love my KIA,but I have to admit reading that crap does have some effect,in a negative way.I hope I don't get paranoid.
    "It's also interesting how some engine and transmission problems can affect a car's comfort, and interior and exterior design--those are 1's too."

If you hated everything about it, why were you so stupid as to buy it?
    Absolutely right CS.
    Somebody posted that they had to replace that belt at 30,000 miles.I asked what the symptom was which made them check it.There was no reply to my question,so here I am asking other Optma owners again.Is there something I should be watching for which will give me a hint that my sepentine needs attention?
    I am referring to the ridiculously hard to get to fuel filter.I had one service supervisor tell me not to bother unless it starts causing problems.I heard the same thing from a certified Chrysler mechanic who I know personally.Anybody have any thoughts on that issue? :confuse:
    It started "chirping" and kind of squeeling almost like that chain sound that those old volkswagon beetles use to sound like. It didn't happen all the time, but once the car warmed up, it was almost constant and very embarrasing. I was surprised it wasn't covered in my 100,000 mile warranty. I didn't want to pay, so I had my husband do it for me. At first my husband thought it was the idler pulley, and it could have been, so he greased it and while he was in there, he replaced the serpentine belt for about $30.00. So actually it could have been the idler pulley, but just to be safe he changed the serpentine belt anyway. What ever the problem actually was, it never made a noise after. All is fine now, but Kia diagnosed it over the phone as the serpentine belt and was gonna charge close to $200.00 as I remember. Hope this helps.

Sue
    This might be too technical a question,but does that idler have bearings or a bushing? I also would like to ask your husband how difficult it was to change that belt without having a lift.
    BTW my KIA is the 2006.5 model with the 4 cylinder engine.Is that the same as yours? Mine has over 31,000 miles on it.
    Of course,I do appreciate the reply.Thank you very much.
    My Kia Optima is 2007 4 cyl 2.4l. He said it wasn't easy. My husband is a mechanic and he said it was a real challenge. Evidently you need a correct wrench for the tension pulley some special wrench. He didn't buy one and he doesn't know the price. But evidently you can buy one. He made one himself. This is how he did it. It's a real pain to do. He took a regular wrench, cut it in half. (guess it was too long) Grounded it down to an 1/8" wide, then welded it to a round bar 3/8" thick that needed to be 1 and 1/2 feet long. All this because he needed to work from above and make it fit between the pulley and the fender well. He also said he needed to make bends in the 1 and 1/2" bar to clear the altinator. He said it was real hard to get to and suggests you either buy this so called special tool or pay kia. For us it was a matter of principal. We didn't want to pay kia for something that in my opinion shouldn't have died so quickly!

Sue
    Oh, that was me that posted the 30,000 mile serpentine complaint a while back. Sorry I didn't get back to you when you initially asked. I didn't remember getting that email. Sorry. ~ Sue
    That about does it for me...I guess I will be paying somebody when the time comes.Thank you very much for the information.
    All's well that ends well...what a coincidence LOL :D
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    Consider having a fuel system service every 20k or 25k. The service cleans the injectors and purges the fuel system of any gunk that's built up. Good luck.
    What exactly is a Fuel system service? Is that in addition to or instead of changing the filters?
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    it's a service in which they clean our your car's engine's fuel injector's. Blasts out any gunk and junk that may have accumulated in there. Improves performance and fuel economy. Pretty good idea to have done.

Our '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS is soon to get it's 45,000 mile service and if the dealer's package doesn't include this I am thinking I'll have them add this fuel injector service to the rest of the maintenance package for us.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

They have such a service at Walmart.I have been putting injector cleaner into my fuel tank.No comment about filters?
    I have read that with today's injector-cleaning gasolines, a separate injector cleaning service is not required, and can actually damage the car e.g. O2 sensors. I used to use fuel injector cleaner but stopped when I heard that. I've never had any problems with injectors in over 20 years of owning fuel-injected cars.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    service, backy. I may ask at the Mitsu dealer tomorrow when we go in for the Auto Butler paint protectant service what they have to say about the need for fuel injector cleaning services overall. Sounds like maybe I won't want to pay for a needless (and possibly damaging to the O2 sensor)cost to what will probably cost us hundreds of dollars, anyway, 45,000 mile service. The 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS 2.0L 4-cyl. motor does have a timing chain, and the manual has words to the effect that this timing chain setup "should last for your engine's lifetime".

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

Wife doesn't drive much, somewhere around the mid eighteens after almost three years. I put a lot more mileage on my Maxx in the first year.

Anyway no problems what so ever... nothing, nada.

Three months without any action on this board is a long time. I guess no one is having problems or we'd get something. Still mad about the drive by posters who ruined the reputation of the 07 Optima. Obviously made up problems.
    It's amazing that people can write anything they want without considering whether it's factual or not.
    I can imagine those faux stories don't help the resale values of those Optimas out there.
    I talked to my KIA service managers and they have had not a single instance of any chronic problems with these cars.I know these people and they are honest.My KIA is now at 36,000 miles and no problems.Just routine maintenance.
    Good for you.
  • rckycrckyc Member Posts: 1
    In three years I have 16 jump starts or tows on my KIA, the first year parking would stay on when keys where removed and drivers door open, dash lights would flicker on and off. Reparted this 4-5 to the service manager but made no repairs and tryed to laught it off also did not do an RO. The care finaly refused to start 1 day after the year with only 5000 miles on it. Since then I have had 3 batterys, alertor, light switch, fuse box, yet it December alone of last year I had to have it towed for times for no start(someing is draining the battery) yet they so oh no, I have finaly got so upset I filed a lemon law against KIA. They will ot even released my service records or calls to the road service in warranty. I really loved the car now am afraid to even drive it. It only has 23k on it and I have it taken care very well. Not that I've complainted KIA dealer won't even talk to me, they have to do service but thats it.

All I want is my car finaly repaired or replaced. I never had to jump start my old junk cars in HS this much. Russ Darrow KIA will never get another dime out of me, nor will KIA.
  • redptcredptc Member Posts: 78
    Have you replaced the battery? Sometimes a bad battery would cause these problems. :sick: Have you tried another dealer?
    sounds kind of hinky...... you know, :(
    I have to say my 2007 KIA has been, so far, one of the best cars I've ever had. It has 23k on the odometer. I just drive to work and back. I fear my low miles will outlive the warranty, lol.

Some of these posts seem outlandish. If I ever had that much trouble out of any car I would have run it off a cliff a long time ago.
    I have a 2006.5 Optima and it has never failed to start.Not even after sitting in a cold garage for two weeks.In the first place,you should go to other dealers if this one does not fix your car.
    I put that many miles on my Maxx during the first year. Absolutely no trouble with the Optima-- rock steady with no problems.

I'm posting this just to keep the thread going and to check on Mickyrom's welfare after buying that acceleratin' Prius....