Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Shelby GT500

Comments

• powerleasepowerlease Member Posts: 8
    Well, we are getting 28. I would be happy to show you my website but they pulled my link. No free advertising. Sorry about your lack of inventory. If we could connect I would be happy to take care of you and your customers.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "Well, we are getting 28."

Sounds like you did a nationwide inquiry to locate dealers willing to sell their allocation.
  • advequityguyadvequityguy Member Posts: 138
    28...over the course of the next 8 years. Either you're very experienced and overflowing with jik, or way green and overflowing with naivity. Either way, I'm putting on my boots cause it's getting deep.
  • powerleasepowerlease Member Posts: 8
    e me at my profile and I'll send my link
    This is just my personal theory but I think that what happened is that the dealership where powerlease works did a very wide inquiry for dealers willing to sell their allocation. They offered dealers some markup over MSRP (perhaps $5k, perhaps more) and a few dealers agreed. So now his dealership has 28 units "allocated" to them.

Now, all they have to do is line up flush buyers with money burning a hole in their pockets unwilling to wait their 'turn' in line and who have to have a Shelby RIGHT NOW.

I don't see any way that Ford would see fit to reward any one particular dealership with 28 units when everybody else if biting/scratching/clawing to get more than 1. Doesn't wash.
  • shelbydudeshelbydude Member Posts: 90
    That dealer is getting their extra units by buying up allocation from other dealers. This dealer is paying $10k over MSRP and selling them for $25k over. They make $15k a pop! Some dealers have been offering $20k over. I have one coming for myself that I "MIGHT" be willing to consider taking $150k for it! Any takers??? ;)
    They may come out with the BOSS, Mach 1 and probably the Bullet, but next year they are building another 8k Shelby's as well. The Shelby GT 500 is a two year production model with a total of 16k - 18k units over the 2 years. They are suppose to build a Bullet model and a BOSS and likely a MACH 1. When is the question!
    With a production run of 16k - 18k units, I don't see how spending MSRP +$25k makes ANY kind of sense.

Unless one is a raving Shelby fan with a huge amount of disposable (and I do mean disposable) cash laying around....

As a comparison, let's take a look at original Shelby production #'s:

'65 Shelby: 562 units (including prototypes, R-models, and drag cars)
    '66 Shelby: 2380 units (including the Hertz cars, 6 convertibles, and a handful of drag cars)
    '67 Shelby: 3225 units
    '68 Shelby: 4450 units
    '69 Shelby: 3294 units (includes 789 units sold as '70 models).

That's a GRAND TOTAL of less than 14k units....sold over 6 model years. Of these, the only ones built BY SHELBY were the '65-68 models ('69s and '70s were built by Ford with Shelby designed body panels/trim). And IMO, most of the heavy desire for these is due to the racing history of the original GT350's.

IMO, the current GT500 is the spiritual successor to the '69 and '70 model cars.....some of the most 'unloved' of the original Shelby Mustangs.
    .....and there's the kicker. 16000 units total. The math on that is brutal. 16000 cars divided by 4000 dealerships. 4 each over 2 years on average. I work at a large dealership. We will get 3 in the 07 model years. Hopefully, we get 3 more in 08. Thats 6 total. We have about 30 customers ready to go at 15k over msrp without even knowing the colors and options. Those arent people who are interested, thats people who have made deposits knowing they probably wont be able to buy one. Those who wait for the "over msrp" excitement to die down will never have one. Frankly, when someone bawks at the price, I find it amusing. Why should I even try to convince anyone to buy one when there's way mare people that will buy them than there will ever be cars? The other day someone asked me what the financing incentives would be on it : )
    You know you are only getting 3 and hope to get 3 more for 2008. That is 6 total maybe. So why would you take deposits from 30 people when you know you are only getting 3 and possibly only 3 more in 2008??? Why wouldn't you stop taking deposits after the first 3 or at least after the first 6 when you know you will never get any more than that? I just tell customers the truth. The few we are getting are sold! Sorry. Of course, if they are willing to pay $75k - $90k for one I could probably get them one. Other than I can't help them so no need to take any deposits.
    "We have about 30 customers ready to go at 15k over msrp without even knowing the colors and options."

What makes you think that YOU are the only dealership those 30 people have talked to? What makes you think that those 30 people (folks willing to drop $15k over MSRP) haven't inquired about availability with EVERY dealer they can talk to?

I wonder how many of those 30 folks were brokers being paid by their client to find ANY Shelby (without even knowing about colors and options) ANYwhere......afterall, if one is willing to drop $15k over MSRP, who cares about having the car shipped halfway across the country?

"Those who wait for the "over msrp" excitement to die down will never have one."

Spoken like a true salesmen.

16000 units is a LOT of units. How many Z06 Corvettes do you think will be made in a 2-year run? Are these cars (after being out for only a few months) commanding huge markups over MSRP?
    not trying to sell anything. its the cold hard truth. we continued taking deposits with the people knowing we were going to draw names. If those 30 have any sense, they will have contacted every dealer possible. Furthermore, I encouraged them to contact as many dealers as they could, and they still coughed up $500. The free market at work.

In other news, I saw a transport truck loaded with Corvettes front to back yesterday headed across the street. Shouldn't be hard to find one if that's what you want. Pick up a cobalt while you're there. I think they have a few of them to choose from as well, and might even "deal" on them.
  • shelbywiseshelbywise Member Posts: 21
    Hi...I'm new to this board with this being my first post. I ordered my GT500 from a fairly large PA winning CA dealership on 5/2. The dealership is going to get 2 cars in 07. I received my VIN on 7/21 and order was 'sequenced' on 7/24, but I'm still waiting for the tentative build day. My sources @ AAI are telling me the car should be built in the next 3 weeks, but may sit for a month before shipping...perhaps because of the striping bottleneck/quality issues. Anyhow, enough rambling...just touching bases and looking forward to more info. gathering/giving in the future...ShelbyWise
    Didn't say you WERE attempting to sell anything (obviously no need, given 30 deposits and expecting only 3 units).

I think that the ONLY thing you're doing is trying to convince people that the ADM of $15k is essentially going to be a fixture on these cars because demand for these cars (even at a $15k markup) will continue to vastly outstrip supply throughout the model run.

To which I say: BS.

The ONLY reason I brought up the Z06 was to point out that, like the GT500, there was huge pent up demand for these cars and some dealers were also attempting to charge a big ADM.....for the first month or so. I don't think the planned production numbers on the Z06 was anywhere NEAR 8k units per year (lower supply), but I don't believe this has enabled the Chevy dealers to keep charging a large ADM on these cars.

Who knows; I could be wrong. Are Chevy dealers still getting thousands over MSRP on Z06's?
    I was just pointing out you're comparing apples to oranges. The Corvette is a production car in every sense of the word. Chevy relies on it to produce income. To a lot of folks, the regular Corvette is even prefferable to the Z-06. The Shelby, on the other hand, is a limited edition toy. Nothing more. Good publicity, but Ford isnt exactly turning a profit on it. They are a volume manufacturer with little interest in a low production car. They got a lot of free press on it and will get plenty more. Thats its mission. So, the thing is....if you want one, you'll pay for it. If you dont, you wont and nobody will care. Time will tell if I'm right and you're oppinion is B.S.......but I'd like to remind you of a couple things.

People dont necessarily buy things based on their merits or their price tag. If people were overly concerned on merits, chevy would never sell even one silverado. They're one generation behind every other manufacturer would currently builds full size trucks. If people were overly concerned about price, Saleen and Rousch would never be able to sell even one of their Mustangs. They cost nearly as much as the base MSRP of the Shelby.

I'm pretty sure there are probably 16000 people in the world who wouldnt mind paying for a piece of history.
    3-4 weeks delivery from build date is common on any car. It's not really a delay.
    "The Shelby, on the other hand, is a limited edition toy."

The issue is one of production vs. demand. I'm not comparing the Shelby to the 'regular' production Corvette; I'm trying to get a sense of supply vs. demand by comparing what YOU say WILL happen with the Shelby GT500 by comparing what HAS HAPPENED with the Corvette Z06.

Ford isn't turning a profit on the GT500? Why in the HELL not? According to YOU, they could sell the whole damn run of 16k cars for 10-15k MORE than they are asking. Either all the marketing folks at Ford are complete and utter morons and you're a genius OR......the realistic price point for this car WILL BE $40-$45k.

16,000 units is in NO MEASURE a 'limited edition'. If they are intending a limited run, why not 12k units? Or maybe only 3k units? How is the GT500 more of a 'limited edition' than the Z06? According to the Official C6 Corvette registry, a grand total of 6272 '06 model Z06 Corvettes were built. Since 6k Z06 Corvettes in one year is less than the anticipated 8k Shelby GT500's, it certainly SEEMS as though the Z06 is more 'limited edition' than the Shelby.

So my question remains: after 1 year, are Chevy dealers STILL getting substantially over MSRP for the Z06?

"I'm pretty sure there are probably 16000 people in the world who wouldnt mind paying for a piece of history."

I'm sure there are. The only point in contention is AT WHAT PRICE.
    16000 cars sounds limited to me. They wont make more than that, hence it's limited. Really is no limit to the number of Corvettes. They could make the z06 for the next 10 years as long as people buy them. Furthermore, I doubt Ford gives a flip one way or the other over a car they can move 16000 of. I would think they care far more about moving the 1800000 F-series they're going to sell in that same time frame. They make more off the financing than the car itself, afterall.

To add a little news, one sold in Houston yesterday for $75000. I had an original Shelby owner call today and asked if he stroked a check for $60000, could he buy one we havent received yet. We passed on the 60k.

You're way off base on this one. For 2 years, people have paid 44k for saleen 281s and rousch stage 1s. I'd surely rather pay a little more and have something that actually goes faster than a GT and is collectible.
  • bri66bri66 Member Posts: 220
    I ordered mine 0n June 24th. The dealership claimed they would have a vin # and build date by June 30th. Today is July 28th and have no build date or vin #. If you ordered yours on May 2nd and still have no actual build date yet I guess I'm in for a long wait. I'm not complaining and I certainly don't mind waiting my turn. I know those power lease options have first priority. Oh well, I need a few more weeks to complete my garage addition and still have my 66 to play with for the time being. I ordered my vanity plate already. MYSHLB :shades:
    FYI - Ford and SVT produced less than 27k Mustang Cobras in the 4 model years 2001 thru 2004 (thats less than 6700 units per year). So I guess these cars were also "Limited Production".

The fact is, these cars are demanding MSRP+ADM because of the Shelby name. Nothing more. Nothing less. And the folks who are actually PAYING $15-25k over MSRP now are doing it JUST to be the first ones in their group to have the new Shelby.

Just out of curiousity: why do you waste time defending your position? If you guys are covered up with folks (30 with deposits and only expect 3 cars in the next year), WHY BOTHER with what I think?

I'm still curious why you think that all the marketing and product planners who SET the prices at Ford are such morons by setting such a low low low MSRP when OBVIOUSLY the market can support all 16k units at $60k or higher?

Enjoy your large ADM while it lasts.
  • saddaddysaddaddy Member Posts: 566
    What did Mr. Shelby even do in designing this car? Other than a man's name, what does it have in common with the other GT500 that Carrol actually had an integral part in designing?

FOMOCO did not even engineer a special powerplant for the vehicle. For Pete's sake, the car uses a 10-year old blown v8 that was lazily conceived, to say the least, when first introduced. Anyone can make crazy power by supercharging a large v8 -- let's see something original. Why the hype?
    Your right on ALL accounts. Carroll Shelby had about as much to do w/the design of the S197 generation of 'Shelby' Mustangs as he did on the post 67' cars...It's interesting though how history repeats itself. Not a single pre-2007 Shelby (65'-70') had a 'special' powerplant that was Shelby specific...and yet,the last time I checked, those car were still highly collectible and bringing big $$...Just my .02 worth...
    I know it brakes your heart as you are obviously not a Mustang guy, but as far as the svt cobra goes, anyone that actually bought an 03/04 got one helluva car. Those people can trade them in today, even though the body has changed, and as a percentage of sale price, get a whole lot for them on trade. I've sold lightly used '03 coupes for close to 30k. I doubt many Vette guys see anywhere close to that kind of return if they are dumb enough to trade after 2 or 3 years. No one in their right mind is going to collect a z-06 vette. That is not what it's for. reguardless of you accepting it or not, the Shelby is indeed collectible. If it doesn't appeal to you, let those who it does appeal to enjoy it. Not often you can buy a car that has no good reason for even existing.
    "I know it brakes your heart as you are obviously not a Mustang guy...."

First of all, it's "breaks".

"Brakes" are those round thingy's behind the wheels used to stop a car.

Second of all, you don't know me very well. The restored/modified '66 GT fastback in my garage (which is set up for mild open-track use) may be a clue to where my heart lies. And...it...ain't...with....Chevy.

I also understand WHY the most collectible Shelby's are the '65 and '66 models, with the collectibility tapering off to the least appreciated '69-'70 models.

Do you know why?

It's because Carrol Shelby had EVERYTHING to do with the earliest models. He got Mustang shells from Ford and built HIS cars to HIS specs in HIS factory. And it shows from the fact that these cars were very successfully raced back in the day (against small-block Corvettes no less). The later Shelby's were street poseurs, great at looking good and laying down a patch of rubber on the street; but otherwise a styling excercise built by and used by Ford to maintain excitement in the Mustang.

The current GT500 is the same. It has about as much to do with Carrol Shelby as the '03 models did; which is essentially NOTHING.

Face it, these are nothing but the lastest SVT Mustang Cobras (developed by SVT; NOT Carrol Shelby) with "Shelby" logos stuck on it.

Will the initial buyers drop stupid money on the SVT Cobra because it has "Shelby" logos on it? Sure. Some folks have more money than brains. But will the "Shelby" logos be enough to KEEP the demand up so high that Ford will run through the entire 16k production run with dealers able to demand huge ADM?

Ah....no.

Regarding the 03/04 cars; if memory serves, the initial buyers of THOSE cars were also paying a big markup. I found this post from March of '02 regarding the anticipated markup on the '03 Cobras:

texaszach, "Mustang Cobra / SVT Cobra" #53, 27 Mar 2002 7:20 am

In it appears this little gem:

"This particular dealership happens to be SVT certified. I spoke with him yesterday regarding the new snake. Their allotment of '03 Cobras is a total of 6. They have a waiting list for these cars despite a rumored premium of $10,000 above MSRP at their dealership."

Yet only a few months later, the going prices were under MSRP. Will history repeat itself? History has a strange habit of doing so.....
    Glad to hear you are not a chevy guy. I'm not trying to insult you, brother. I just have a different opinion. Your opinion counts about as much as mine. deek. neither you or me is going to buy one. You because it doesnt make sense to you. Me because I already have enough toys financed. 17 coupes slated for the whole state of florida for the 1st 2 months production, btw.
  • starboardsidestarboardside Member Posts: 8
    Design a special powerplant? The small block Chevy dates back to nineteen hundred fifty-three (for Pete's sake), yet the LS7 derivative is a pretty "special" powerplant. What in the world does "lazily conceived" have to do with whether or not the Shelby has a good powerplant? There are lots of "lazily conceived" '03/04 Cobras out there that will prove that statement wrong on a moment's notice.
    just lapped the parking lot in one. all i can say is wholey sheet, man i've got to get on that. "lazily conceived" or not.
    ....also, i think i could see myself lazily blowing past pretty much anything else you could conceive on the road. and not to mention looking pretty darn good doing it.....looks like i need to cash in a bond or something.
  • ovi0901ovi0901 Member Posts: 1
  • john500john500 Member Posts: 409
    I think the pricing of the Shelby Mustang is a good strategy by Ford. Due to the added fat (800 lbs) of the Mustang relative to the Corvette, the acceleration of the vehicle will be comparable to the base model Corvette. Therefore, Ford was setting the base price at the performance level of the car (~ $45-50 K). If anyone pays more than that, they are simply getting "less car" compared to the Z06 in the $60 K range.
    Now here is a subject that has been beat up over and over again on countless GT500 sites and I'm sure most of the Vet sites as well...A GT500 vs. C6 or Z06 comparison is absolutely ridiculous! Yes the base Vet and GT500 share similar price structures, but thats where the comparison ends. As far as the Z06 goes, good luck getting one OTD for less than the very high $60K's...If the fastest car on your block is what your looking for, I'd suggest buying the GT500, strip 800lbs of crap off of it...and spend the difference in price to the Z06 on mods...and VOILA, now you got yourself a comparison!! Just my .02 worth
    again, the point is no one, Ford included, cares if you think the corvette is a better value. In fact, no one, including Ford, even cares if you buy one. Brother, they have very little invested in this car and an even smaller hope for profit. It is an effort to get some free press, nothing more. It's a 2 year limited run. Trust me, they will all be sold well beyond what a base vette sells for. Go ahead, offer any dealership on the planet 60k and see what happens. For a volume manufacturer, the profit lies in 200000 Mustang V-6's or 1000000 pickup trucks. It aint in 8000 specialty cars. I'm not saying its a bad thing. If I had the cash, I'd get one and enjoy the feeling that very few other people will have one. If the Shelby appeals to you, great. Do what you gotta do. If it seems foolish, get a vette. your local dealership probably has more of them than they do Cobalts. You may even get a discount. You can wave at all the other mid-life crisis guys in vettes as you pass each other on the way to the VFW for $1 beer night. Just my .02.
    My dealership called me this afternoon and gave me my Shelby's VIN #. They don't have the actual build date yet, but with getting the VIN # has excited me to no end. I asked the dealership to find out what the cost is for the new recovery system Lo-Jack has come out with. Is there anyone familiar with the costs? The original Lo-Jack system installed will be $695. Lo-Jack claims the new recovery system automatically notifies the police once stolen. I have half the rafters on my new garage extension and hope to have it roofed by next weekend. Question, these cars are on the dealership lots and arriving daily. Should this forum remain in future vehicles?????? :shades:
    "You can wave at all the other mid-life crisis guys in vettes as you pass each other on the way to the VFW for $1 beer night."

And just WHO do you think will be dropping $55k+ on the GT500?

Maybe guys who always wished they'd snapped up an original Shelby Mustang before the prices went out of sight and see THIS as their opportunity to recapture what they missed when they were younger?

Uh, like the mid-life crisis guys in their Vettes?

BTW - what is the current limited-edition Ford which is officially modified by Shelby, IN SHELBY'S FACTORY, to Shelby's specs with Shelby's parts (and receiving an official Shelby VIN) for street use?

Hint: it ain't the GT500......
    It's kinda like if U2 came out with a crappy album...It would still go platinum...There hasn't been a Shelby Mustang built in a Carroll Shelby factory since 67' and yet the post 67' cars are bringing BIG $$...Fortunately the trolls and naysayers will not control the price nor collectibility of the S197 Gen. cars...I'm thankful for that!
    "There hasn't been a Shelby Mustang built in a Carroll Shelby factory since 67'"

Actually, the new Shelby Hertz car is pretty close.

Ford is shipping black Mustang GT's (all automatics) to Shelby's factory in Vegas. The Sheby workers then install the intake and exhaust mods, suspension mods, body mods, and paint the gold Hertz stripes (not much different from the way Shelby did the Hertz cars in '66, except of course the factory has moved from California to Vegas).

After the cars are run through Hertz (and eventually sold in 'gently used' condition :surprise: ), Shelby vin numbers will be added and the cars sold. They don't want to add the vin panels while the cars are rentals.....not all the vin panels would return with the cars.

And they're only doing about 500 of them (as opposed to 16k GT500s). One can only imagine the markup should adequityguy get his hands on one.......
    I dunno, if all Shelby does is put an intake and an exhaust on a GT, I think I'd rather have the kind he doesn't actually touch at his shop.
    "I dunno, if all Shelby does is put an intake and an exhaust on a GT, I think I'd rather have the kind he doesn't actually touch at his shop."

Me too.

Of course, then I'd see no reason to drop an extra $15k just for the Shelby name on what is otherwise just the new SVT Cobra.
    http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060809/BUSINESS01/608090338/10- 14

Apparently, Ford and Shelby are teaming up for a 325 hp version of the regular Mustang GT for a run of 4-10k cars slated to go on sale after the first of the year. These cars will ALSO be 'Shelby Mustangs'.

Out of curiousity: if the value of the current Shelby GT500 is tied to: 1. limited Availability and, 2. the Shelby name, does the presence another 4k - 10k units (hmmmm, maybe called the Shelby GT350?) have any impact on the collectibility of the GT500?

Will there soon be enough Shelby's built to meet demand?
    Just an FYI...My GT500 was built yesterday 8/8...It should roll into the stripe shop in the next few weeks...AAI will probably hold it for a couple of additional weeks after the striping is completed for testing and quality checks...I'm probably still looking at 5-6 weeks before delivery to CA...But of course that could push either way.
    You ordered yours on May 2nd and it was built yesterday? Do you recall what date it was when they gave you a VIN # ? What color did you order?
    Ordered 5/2, VIN Rcv'd 7/21, Built 8/8...Performance White, Vista Blue stripes, Charcoal Interior...NO options
    You must be quite excited. I ordered mine on 6\24 and received my VIN # on 8\7. Question, I talked with several dealers in New England over the past year and no one could give me any information until the first week of June. How were you able to order yours in May if the dealers around me had no ordering info? Did you have a power lease option? I know when I did receive my ordering package from my dealer I believe it was dated March 06. Just curious. Good luck with your Shelby and thanks again for responding. :)
    Yes...I'm very excited, although it looks like I still have a bit of a wait. Regarding your ordering question...No PL...I have a good friend that is the New Car Mgr.(She personally orders every new car for her dealership) @ a fairly large President's Award winning dealership in So Cal...She has been giving me updates on the GT500 since word broke it was going to be a reality. The dealership is going to get 2 cars...my coupe, and a vert for the GM...The very first day I could place my order was 5/2, two days later I rcv'd my DORA. I've been fortunate to receive realtime production updates from a friend who works @ AAI (Mustang Production Factory) since receiving my VIN...everything production and delivery related tracks off of the VIN...
    Actually, the order banks were open back in April. Dealers could place their orders, but production wasn't scheduled to start until June 5th. Mine was ordered on 4/20....Ford scheduled the build date on 7/14 and it was scheduled to be built the week of 8/7 and it was built yesterday, 8/10. It is estimated to arrive at the dealership on 8/23. I got Vista Blue with white racing stripes. PS...has anyone got insurance quotes for this car yet?
    I called and spoke with my insurance agent and they claimed a month and a half ago they still had no rates for the Shelby, but prepared me for a shock. I seen my very first Shelby tonight on my way to work. The dealership is closed, but I will be licking the show room windows first thing in the morning. It's sitting on Herb Chambers show room floor in Braintree, MA. It's white with the blue stripes. I can't wait to see it in person. I ordered my coupe in the Alloy and put everything on it except the Sirus radio. ;)
    You are very fortunate to have such good friends. I was wondering does any one know if there is a web-site where anyone can track their Shelby from build to delivery using the VIN #? I thought I read an article some where. Judging from the dates that I'm reading I probably am looking at the middle of October before I will see mine. My garage addition is all most done, hope to shingle roof this weekend. I need to take my 66 out and keep my mind occupied. HA! HA! I'm getting way to excited. :D
    Pictures do not speak enough for this beauty. Anyone who ordered the white with blue stripes will not be disappointed. The white appears to have a pearl in it and the blue stripe you see the metallic sparkling in it. The only thing I believe that could possibly improve the appearance of this car would have been Ford putting a louver on the rear side windows. Besides that it gets a 10 in my book. Can't wait to drive mine. :shades:
  • pecpec Member Posts: 3
    So today, what are Shelby buyers paying for it?
  • grntdgrntd Member Posts: 7
    I absolutly agree with you that's wha I was thinking