Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Shelby GT500

Comments

• fastforagirlfastforagirl Member Posts: 14
    Anyone else out there have an INTELLIGENT response to my question? I don't live in a forty-mile town, there are actually intersections where I live.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Every car has blind spots. It shouldn't be any worse than a regular mustang, so go sit in one and check it out yourself. I can't imagine it being a big problem.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    I have an '05 GT Premium. Yes, the blindspot is bad if you're at one of those odd-angle intersections. Otherwise, it's not that big of a deal. Proper mirror adjustment and knowing where/how to look over your shoulder will cover the rest.
    Thanks, you responders. I feel better. I rely heavily on my mirrors when I'm opened up, typically going too fast to take chance on looking over my shoulder. But intersections, I'll be slow enough to do a quick check.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Seriously, I find my mustang to have less of a blind spot because there is no B pillar.

Mark.
  • pony_piratepony_pirate Member Posts: 317
    After checking the mirror, you should always look over your shoulder. This is one of the basics I learned when learning to drive.
  • moronixmoronix Member Posts: 29
    Anyone paying 25K over MSRP for a Mustang has to be nuts. For that kind of money you can buy a real sports car (Corvette).
  • shelbydudeshelbydude Member Posts: 90
    Huh???

A vette??? Vettes are a dime a dozen, produced year after year after year....

The Shelby GT500 is only being built for two years and that's it! Much more collectable.

I had the pleasure of running against several vettes so far and dusted everyone one of them!!! And you call that a real sports car, moron?

Sounds to me like you really wanted a Shelby but just can't afford one!
  • rhellerrheller Member Posts: 61
    Ford dealers in my area want 10K over MSRP to contract for a 2008 GT500. I have counter-offered with 5K, but no takers. Should I remain patient in anticipation that one will call back in a few months in agreement or will I have lost my "window of opportunity"?
  • bri66bri66 Member Posts: 220
    I understand Franklin Mint is selling a very nice 2007 GT 500 for just a little over $100. ;)
    Oh I see. You don't want to drive it. You just want to store it in your garage for 40 years and then sell it. :)
    I have an 05 Mustang and it's the best one I've ever owned but I don't like the idea of all the weight they have gained. I rember the first Mustangs (65) were about 2600 pounds and about $2600. A dollar a pound sounds reasonable. :) The Shelbys are getting very close to 4000 lbs!? I remember when that kind of weight only belonged to Oldsmobiles and Cadillacs. :surprise:
    No we like to drive our cars and we enjoy talking to one another and sharing our experiences about ownership. If you would like to join our group and discuss your pleasures and displeasures about your Mustang or about the premiums being charged I welcome you aboard. If you would rather not share your thoughts and call us stupid for paying premiums we are not going to talk with you. My name is Brian and I own two Mustangs. A 1966 coupe and a 2007 GT 500 Shelby. Both my Mustangs can be seen in my album here at Edmunds. I hope you enjoy the pictures and again I welcome you to our forum. :shades:
    That's a call you have to make. My wife paid 20K over sticker, so if you have a chance to get one at 10K over that doesn't sound bad. Most on eBay from what I can tell are selling anywhere from 10 to 20K over stickers, but if you wait, you might do better. One thing to think about is is this dealer a local dealer that wants 10K or is it a dealer you may never go back to for service? If it's a Shelby you want but don't want to pay too much how bout checking on buying one of the Mustang GT Shelby's being finished in Las Vegas. They don't have the label GT 500 but they do have the Shelby insignia and I do believe they don't cost as much. Good luck.
    Hmm. I don't recall calling anybody stupid. Where did that happen? If you can't take a little friendly ribbing then I guess I'll have to try to avoid you. Untill last week I owned a C5 corvette and my '05 Mustang. I sold the Corvette because it was mostly sitting in the garage gathering dust. My Mustang is a 6 cyl and honestly the Corvette got slightly better gas milage in spite of the extra hp. I guess I'm not impressed with the Shelby. Paying 10-25k over invoice will certainly help the Legend grow. I just read an article about somebody else who took a standard Mustang V8 and added a blower/suspension and a few other things and outperformed the Shelby for a lot less money. Shelby certainly earned a reputation but seems nowdays it's just hype by adding his name to the car. I will be curious to see if the '07 Shelby brings big money at the auctions in 40 years. I'm sure I will not be around then (I'm 66 now). I know most Mustang guys are really hard core so I just figured I'd stir the pot a little and see who jumped up on the bandwagon. Sorry but I love both the Mustang and the Corvette. I fell in love with the Corvette in 1961 when one could be had for about $3800. I immediately liked the Mustang when it came out in '65. It was almost like a poor man's Corvette. I mean it was lean and mean on the street. It was about the time the muscle car fad started at least in my neighborhood. Sorry I got to rambling on. Enjoy your Shelby. They are hot.
    Post #275 .......Anyone paying 25K over MSRP for a Mustang has to be NUTS. For that kind of money you can buy a real sports car (Corvette).

Post #282 .......I don't recall calling anyone stupid. Where did that happen? If you can't take a little bit of friendly ribbing then I guess I'll have to try to avoid you.

Post #283 Franklin Mint is offering a very nice GT 500 Shelby for $100 for people who want a real one but can't afford one. Good luck with your 05 Mustang. :shades:
    Hmm. I never thought of Nuts as "stupid". It's more like "crazy". But since you have so much money it's not crazy its just eccentric. Rich people are like that.
    About the Franklin Mint, how about sending me one of those GT500s. I'm too poor to buy one myself. Us old retired folks living here in Florida are having a rough time lately. Yes I'll need some luck with my Mustang. You know FORD (Fix Or Repair Daily). I don't wish I had one of those Shelby Mustangs but I do wish I could afford to buy gas for one.
    Regards,
    Moronix (Moron for short)
    Well as long as you stay away from the Z06 you'll do fine.
    Hmmm. Lets see now. Mustang 500hp/3920lbs vs Corvette 505hp/3180lbs. Make sure you let the other guy know he's in a race.
    Z06 470 lb-ft torque VS Shelby 480 lb-ft torque.

Bye bye ZO6.

seeeeeeeeeyaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!
    You don't honestly think that 10 lb/ft of torque will make up for an extra 740 lbs, do you?
    Yes I do!

Over all we are talking about 1 lb of weight per every lb of torgue difference.

It will also depend on drivers.

Also, with minor modification you can more than make up the difference for weight, HP and torque.
    The Z06 only has to haul around 6.77 lbs of weight for every lb/ft of torque. The Shelby is 8.17. That's a huge difference in terms of acceleration.
    Yep!

And a fully loaded Z06 has an MSRP of $77,925 VS a fully loaded Shelby GT500 with MSRP of $45,060.

Only a difference of $32,865.

Add less than $2,000 of modifications to the Shelby and for $30k less you have a better looking car that will smoke the Z06 hands down!

Even if you paid a $15k - $20k premium to buy the Shelby you still have a better looking car and after modifications you are still $10k - $15k ahead and have a car that will smoke the Z06!

Even if you go with a stripped model of the Z06 at $70k you are still ahead with a modified Shelby that will smoke the Z06 after paying a $15k - $20k premium!
    As my daughter would say.....What-Ever!
    Hey! That is exactly what I said to those vettes as I blew them away in my Shelby! What-ever!

Sounds like a pretty smart girl you got there! ;)
    I finally nailed down a local Ford dealer today to agree to sell me a 2008 GT 500 for 5G above MSRP. The caveat is that I am number 5 on the list (the other four already put down their 5G), and the dealership is guaranteed only two vehicles for the year. They MIGHT get allocated more and one or more above me on the list MIGHT back out. If I don't get the opportunity to buy the 2008, then I would move up the list for a 2009, assuming the GT500 is made for the 2009 model year. I think the dealership was disappointed I didn't cut them a check for 5G (the required deposit) before I left. I told them to contact me when they could guarantee getting me one, and then I would provide the deposit. Another thought occurred to me. What if the dealership goes belly up or is sold? What would happen to my 5G deposit? Seems to me that 5G should be held in some sort of escrow for safety sake. Am I being too cautious here? Perhaps this is an indication that I may eventually be able to swing a similar deal with another dealership that can give me a better guarantee of delivery.
    I am a sales manager of a Ford Dealership and you would be a fool to give a deposit being 8th in line when they are only getting 2 and have seven people ahead of you.

For is not building this car for 2009. It is only a two year production and 2008 will be it! After that they will come out with other models. The Bullitt and the Boss will be next.

You also have a valid concern with the dealer going out of business. There are dealers closing left and right and Ford wants to cut down at least on a third of the current dealerships. Big and small, many are closing. Some from going broke and some taking buyouts from Ford to close.

As far as allocation, every dealer will get the exact same allocation they got for 2007. So unless the dealer can GUARANTEE you are to get one, do NOT give them a deposit. That would be foolish! I don't understand why dealers are doing that, taking a bunch of deposits on cars they KNOW they are not going to ever get! That is just BAD business practice! I heard one dealer took deposits from more than 30 customers when knowing they would never get near that many!

As far as allocation goes. Every dealer that enrolled for 2007 and paid the $1500 enrollment fee will get at least ONE Shelby GT500.

Every dealer that was an SVT Focus dealer will get one for that for a total of TWO.

Every dealer that is a full line SVT Dealer will get two for that for a total of THREE.

Every dealer that was a 2005 Presidential Award Winner got one for that for a total of TWO.

So a Presidential Award Winning dealer that was an SVT Focus dealer would get THREE.

A Presidential Award Winning dealer that is a full line SVT dealer will get FOUR.

After the total available allocation of 8k - 9k units for each year, 2007 and 2008, have been distributed based on the above allocation, then any remaining units left will be distributed based on share of nation. Meaning high volumn dealers that sold the most mustangs in the prior year COULD, MIGHT, MAYBE, will get an extra unit or two.

When we take a deposit on one of these the customer is GUARANTEED to get the car, period! Our dealer only gets two and we would only take a deposit from only two buyers.

As far as moving up if someone ahead of you was to back out...think about it! Would YOU back out and lose a $5k deposit??? Heck no! If someone had a problem that came up where they couldn't complete the sale they would just find a buyer themselves to sell their right to buy the car in their place. I have seen people do this by listing their right to buy the car on e-bay.

So DON'T be a fool and fall for that! Find a dealer that has the allocation and the car has not been spoken for and they can GUARANTEE you get the car! Get a signed purchase agreement in exchange for your deposit! READ IT CAREFULLY!

And if you found some dealers willing to sell one to you for only $10k over that is a heck of a deal! I would jump on it!

I'm a dealer and I can't find a dealer willing to sell me one for that! The best I have found is $15k over.
    You know, the more I sit here and read the posts, the more amazed I am that I put my deposit down a little over four months ago, and have the dealership telling me I'll pick it up within the next three weeks. Maybe I should go buy a lottery ticket.
    If I recall an earlier post you stated it was being built on January 11th. Unless there is a hold up for quality you should be seeing it anytime. Has your dealership confirmed with Ford when it was released from plant for shipping? Be a little more patient your wait is almost over. Remember once you see her you'll forget about this wait.
    Hey Shelbydude send me the video of you smoking a Z06 with your Shelby. Words are cheap. You can pick on the 350/400hp vettes if you want but don't try to BS me about beating the Z06. The name is added to make you guys pay the extra money. It can't compare with the Z06 in any kind of race ....drag or on a track. I like my Mustang but I'm a realist. My Corvette was twice the car at twice the price. :):)
    Quote from dealer via e-mail (06FEB): "It is going down the line this week. It has tentative ETA for week of 02/23." So they did have a slight delay in getting started on it. Thanks for tip on how to specifically ask about delivery date. I'm trying to be patient, but it's so hard! I'm so excited, I need to smoke a cigarette...and I don't even smoke...LOL I see that another poster is crazy about his 'vette, and it's a great car. But they're like a..holes; one around every corner. I pass probably five every day on my 45-min commute to work. One can argue finer points of which is faster, but I left my street racing and t-shifter behind about 25 years ago, have nothing to prove to anyone. I like to drive, I like the old muscle car look. The look takes me back to less complicated days when engines had about fifteen working parts, I could get on my creeper and grease some ball joints, and turn up the tunes on the old dial-up. Talk about "Friday Night Lights".
    If it's being made this week it won't be too much longer a wait. 2\23 might be the day and if it is you will forget the wait. I enjoy talking in this forum so much about this car. It's a shame some donkey's have to ruin it for some. I don't have anything against other cars, but this is not the forum to discuss other cars. Oh well if we ignore them when they intrude they will go away. Don't start smoking neither, it will stink your new baby up when you get her in a few weeks. :shades:
    After it goes down the line and it's built, then from there it goes to another location to get the stripes put on. So it can also depend on how backed up they are with striping.

So you may see it the week of 2/23 or it could be up to a few weeks longer. It is completely out of the dealers control as to when it will actually get there.

Regardless, you will have before spring.

We have one coming and the ETA was 1/29 and it still is not here. But it was built on 1/18. As of today, 2/14 it's still not here and we don't know when it will get here.
    Do you have the VIN number? I can check it and find out the exact build date if it has been built.
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Since you've owned a Z06, why not start a new "Z06 vs. Shelby" topic by going to the top of the discussion and clicking the "Add a Discussion" link? I'll be happy to link it to the Corvette Forum so that both groups of enthusiasts can weigh in.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

I believe {shelbydude} is asking you [fastforagirl}for your VIN #. He will be able to get you schedule dates where he's a dealer. There is one schedule after the next. It's a little time consuming, but moving that many cars each day they have to rely on schedules. We wait for Ford to schedule a Vin#, then we wait for a scheduled build date, then we wait for a scheduled release date from plant, then it's a schedule date to be placed on a train, etc, etc. Take a deep breath and realize it won't be that much longer.
    This is a great idea Claires. Whoever wants to bash a Shelby by thinking their cars a greater should have a seperate forum. I don't like to brag about my car, unless it's with another member who owns one. I know what I have and I don't need to smash it in anyones face. There are good things and bad things about every make and model. I just haven't been able to find a flaw in mine yet and I doubt I will. :shades:
    It's been fun chatting with all you peolple for some time now. Good luck with your Shelby's. You will enjoy it very much fastforagirl when you get yours. It's been fun and I hope to meet all of you some day at a car show. Brian signing out. :shades:
    Hello Claires,
    Actually I'm enjoying this forum. I've only been here a few days and I feel the love you guys have for the Shelby Mustang. It shouldn't surprise you that I love em too. If I could get one at MSRP I would buy it today! I love my little V6 and would love to own a 500hp Mustang with Shelby on it. I just went to my Ford dealers web site and priced one with the options I want. It came to a little over 50K. (It's a convertible) The salesman told me they have sold only one at about 15k over MSRP. I know to some people this is just "supply and demand". I call it price gouging. I refuse to participate in such a deliberate rip off. For the hard core Shelby fans this doesn't seem to bother them but it does bother me. I love the car but a blatent rip off by the dealer turns me off. I envy the ones that get them and wish them the best of luck with their new car. I'll just slip off into the night now and dream of the old days when new car dealers were not like used car dealers. :cry:
    One Ford Salesman told me that in this day when they have trouble selling models at invoice they plan on "riding the Shelby for all its worth." Really, can you blame them?
    My beef is when the salesman is condescending or downright rude about it. In the least, be polite.
    It is not the dealers that are price gouging. It is the people buying that set the market price. Not the dealers. Trust me, if no one was willing to pay the mark up on these then dealers would not be charging what they do. The MARKET determines pricing.

It's funny how you complain it is dealers price gouging. I bet you're the same type of person that would demand a dealer to pay you trade in value based on what Kelly Blue, Edmonds or NADA says your trade is worth. Then what those sites say it becomes gospel and anything less the dealer is trying to rip you off on your trade.

So what if the same site said retail value on the new Shelby GT500 was over $60k??? Would that mean it is worth that much because Kelly Blue Book says so???

Well guess what? Kelly Blue Book says the new Shelby GT500 is worth over $62k. That is the TRUE MARKET VALUE on this car. So if that is the true market value then paying $62k for one IS paying sticker!

Remember, the MSRP price is merely the manufacturers SUGGESTED retail price. That doesn't mean that that is all the vehicle is worth!

Look at the Shelby GT-H Hertz rental car. They are selling for $60k + at the auctions and those are USED with several thousand miles on them. You can get the Shelby GT Hertz version for $45k which is about $5k over MSRP!

It is the MARKET that determines the TRUE RETAIL VALUE. Not dealers! If there are no buyers, as in, no market for it, guess what happens to the value???

Look at the older Shelby GT500's. 67, 68, 69 and 70. They only cost about $4,700 new. Today they are almost 40 years old and PRIVATE OWNERS are getting over $200k for them! Talk about price gouging!!! That is over 40 times what they cost new 40 years ago! So how is this any different? Kind of makes the $60k - $70k price on the new Shelby GT500 a real STEAL in comparison.
    Stock '06 C6 beat the GT500 hands down, Car and Driver last year. The GT500 isn't in the same class as the C6Z06. If I had unlimited funds I would get both. But in the real world, you get more for your dollar performancewise with either the C6 or C6Z06.

I'd be interested in a road test comparison between the supercharged Rousch and the GT 500. Anyone got a link to this?

Future resale value is purely speculative, btw. It may or may not pan out. Cars are not a good investment, relative to other choices, imo.
    My wife and I are getting close to signing a purchase agreement for a GT500. Any recommendations as to what should be included in the written agreement would be very welcome; thank you. We have heard stories of dealerships holding deposits and then returning them to the potential buyers when a better offer comes along. What would bind the dealer to the contract? What is a reasonable deposit and should the signed purchase agreement be notorized? Again thanks, and my apologies for sounding a bit paranoid.
    You're really at the mercy of the dealer, regardless of what you have in writing. The dealer is not required to sell you a vehicle. If they don't fulfill the sales agreement then you can sue them for damages. But you can't force them to sell you the vehicle.
    Sue them for damages? Hmm...I don't follow. What damages would that be other than denying me the pleasure of owning the car? Seems to me the contract could be written to obligate them to sell me the vehicle at the agreed upon price.
    I saw the comparison somewhere but can't remember where. Seems like they did the job for a little over $5k and slightly outperformed the Shelby. Maybe a internet search will turn it up.
    Just found this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq06eUNlyzI&mode=related&search=
    It's not what I was looking for though. I think now it was a special I saw on TV... maybe the Speed channel.
    How much over MSRP is the dealer agreeing to sell it for?

Does the dealer have the allocation to get the car?

Is this on a 2007 or a 2008?
    There are a lot of things that can be done to increase the power and performance on any car. Especially modifying one to out perform one that is stock from the factory.

If you also noticed that was an older clip. The guy in the video said both cars had the 4.6L which is incorrect. He said the Shelby had 475 HP which is incorrect. Originally it was said to have 475 HP but it actually has 500 HP.

He said they did nothing on the brakes and suspension. That is incorrect. The Shelby does have different brakes and suspension over the GT Mustang.

Also notice they used the convertible instead of the coupe? There is a difference in the weight distribution on the coupe VS the convertible and a difference in the sway link bars between the two.

Basically that was a video trying to promote the Roush over the Shelby. But he did say the Shelby is faster on the straight away but on the track the Roush is supposedly better. Well how many people are going to be using their Shelby to race on the track?

The Shelby GT500 suspension is shared with the 2005 Championship winning FR500C Grand-Am Cup Mustang.

80 percent of the underpinnings on the FR500C race car can be found on the Shelby GT500, But they did "nothing" to the suspension, huh?
    Absolutely correct. That Brit twit is sputtering utter nonsense. The GT500 has bigger brakes (and tires) and a completely different suspension than stock. Contrary to what that Euro idiot says, the GT500 sits lower than stock. In fact, during that same video, here not shown in its entirety, the dope drives a V6 Pony and says straight-faced, right into the camera, that he's driving a GT -- poor fool doesn't even know which car he's driving. (Sorry, Anglo-jerk, slight difference between the Pony and GT: like different engines, transmission, exhaust, suspension, brakes, wheels, and tires.) That video, btw, is all about the Vette C6Z06, which that Brit snot, has to admit, in spite of himself, is the ultimate car orgasm.

I had the hots real bad for the GT500, after falling in love with and buying an '05 Mustang GT Premium. Trouble was dealers, those lowly, slimey, greasy critters: they wanted to pick my pockets. I ain't gonna fork up, no way, not in this world, a markup of $10k for a Ford, when for the same money, in the neighborhood of $54k, I can get a Vette which will leave that front-end heavy Ford behemouth in the dust. The GT500's super-charged cast-iron engine throws the weight distribution way off, towards the front, and adds pounds to the car, making it a candidate for Slim Fast.

Trouble with the Roush's is that they're overdressed, vulgar, like so many of the Mustang GT's I see on the road. Eighteen inch chrome wheels, hood scoops, and God knows what only make the car ludicrous and hype the already-aggressive look, especially the front end (imo, of course). :shades:
    As a newcomer to this forum I would lake to take a moment and share a few observations.
    I somewhat expected to read posts specifically addressing the GT500 which would be helpful and cogent. Instead, I find myself scrolling through numerous posts about how great the vette is and disgruntled posts belittling the Shelby by those who have no intention of ever owning one, for whatever reasons, the most likely being they simply can't afford it.
    If I wanted to read how terrific the vette is, which I personally find butt ugly, I would visit a vette forum. In the meantime, if someone knows of another more focused forum for the GT500, please let me know. Thank you for the consideration.
    Cars aren't a religion, one doesn't exclude the other.

Here's the Car and Driver road test of C6 Vette vs.GT500:

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/11150/heavy-pedal.html

The whole appeal of the GT500 was that as a Mustang it wasn't going to be that expensive. Before the car went into production, press releases put the figure at $40k or below. But when dealers starting adding ridiculous markups, bringing the car in the lower to mid 50's range, consumers, myself included, had to start thinking, "What else can I get for that kind of money? What's the competition?" Answer: the Vette. :shades: