Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Shelby GT500

Comments

• shelbydudeshelbydude Member Posts: 90
    Here is a heads up for anyone thinking about getting one of these or thinking about waiting to see if prices drop.

Ford said they were going to build between 8k - 9k Shelby GT500 Mustangs for 2007. Then between 8k - 9k for 2008.

Well there are 3,762 dealers in the US. I just did a search to see how many of these are out there showing up in dealers inventory.

As of today, Feb. 17th, 2007 there is a grand total of 271 coupes and 163 convertibles showing in inventory. This is out of 3,762 dealers nationwide. Most of these are likely already sold units. Some may not actually be there yet and could be in transit on the way from the factory. Many of these have order codes that would be ordered as sold units. Some are ordered as stock units. In any case, it appears that most of the production has been sold already since they will probably stop 2007 production sometime in May.

Just to give you an idea on this, Ford is only building 6,000 of the Shelby GT's. These just started production in January of 2007. As of today there are well over 1,400 of these showing in dealers inventory. Some are already in stock and a lot of these are on the way.

But over 1,400 of a 6,000 production VS 434 of a 8,000 - 9,000 production. About a month or so ago, there were a LOT more of these that showed in inventory. So if you are thinking about getting one you might want to act on it soon because it looks like they are selling out quick.

Some of the better buys I've seen were on ebay. I have seen them selling in the $57k - $58k range which is only about $12k - $13k over MSRP.

Another idea to try and is to go to ebay, click on the completed listings link and look at the ones that didn't sell. Click on those links and click on the ask seller a question link. Send them an offer on their Shelby if they still have. All they can do is say no, but what if they say yes??? Now I doubt they will take MSRP or $5k over, but they might take between $10k - $15k over which is a lot better than $20k, $25k or $30k over!

NOTE: I have nothing to gain by this and I am NOT selling any of these. All of our 2007 allocation is SOLD OUT! So this is just merely a heads up and FYI in case you are still pondering what to do as far as getting one while you still can. Use this to your advantage if you can.
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Welcome, rheller! Both positive and negative opinions about autos are welcome here and, for opinions about everything else, there's email. I look forward to seeing your helpful and cogent posts added to the 320+ that have already been contributed by our other members.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• moronixmoronix Member Posts: 29
    Wow. From a business standbpoint that makes a lot of sense. You have a product that people are standing in line for so you decide to stop making it. I didn't know Ford was making so much money this year. I know the price gouging dealers will surely miss this opportunity.
    That is the most lame excuse I've heard! By "special order" only???? That would be a first for Ford to build a car as a "special order"! The only time Ford will build a "special order" is if you order a minimum of 10 of the exact same vehicles. With the Shelby GT500 being a limited production and every dealer wanting to get as many as they can, there is no way this car is going be available as a "special order". That doesn't even make any logical sense!

All they have to do is look at the enrollment form they signed when they signed up to get allocation for the 2007 and pay the $1,500 enrollment fee. That form clearly states that any 2007 allocation you get that you will get the same allocation for the 2008 model year.

Had they watch the broadcast Ford had via satellite with the dealers they would have heard them announce the same thing. They are building the Shelby GT500 for two years. 2007 and 2008. They are building 8,000 - 9,000 units each year. Up to a total of approx. 19,000 units over two years.

Special order! Give me a break!
  • rhellerrheller Member Posts: 61
    shelbydude: Are you sure about that production run? I recall reading in the press that 30,000 units would be made over a three year period, to include 2009. Some dealerships verbally confirmed that for me. Thanks for the clarification.

Also, I recall from years ago that one wanted to avoid the California emissions package because it robbed a car of HP, gas mileage performance, and made it more difficult to keep tuned. Is that still true today? What states require the emissions package be sold?
  • fastforagirlfastforagirl Member Posts: 14
    Sorry, got inundated at work, just finally got a note over to the dealer around closing time today, requesting the VIN number. They maintain that it will be at the dealership, ready for me to pickup, "early next week". I sure hope so. I have a business trip mid-next week, about five hour drive from work, and I'd much rather drive it in my new car than a rental- or worse yet, fly.
  • glenpglenp Member Posts: 1
    WOW! my gt shelby 500 was built today! this forum i thought was about those cars. i paid list price for my car. i do NOT have a contract, but ihave the word of a dealer that i have dealt with since he bought a small local business. i'm more excited than you can ever imagine! im neither an engineer or race car driver, but this car (convertible) is HOT and fast. i've bugged the heck out of shelby's people and they have been nothing but super nice and helpful. OH YES! i walked away from a LARGE dealer because of 32000 reasons over invoice.
    Got it! VIN 1ZVHT89S475304312
    Appears to be a White Convertible. The dealer is in Texas.

The build date was 2/9/2007.

It still doesn't show up in the dealer's inventory, but based on the build date of 2/9/2007 I would estimate the car should be there sometime in March. Possibly by the end of Feb., but typically it takes about a month to get after the build date.

Mine was built on the 11th of the month and came in on the 31st, so you might just see it by the end of Feb.

Our second GT500 is a Convertible and it was built on the 18th of Jan. It still has not arrived yet, but it is due any day now. Was suppose to be here already.

But don't worry, it IS coming!
    I have heard rumors about this car being built in 2009 but so far I have not been able to get confirmation on that. According to Ford it is only for two years and my contacs say they have not heard anything about 2009 and say it is not going to be built for 2009.

As far as affecting HP or anything by having the emissions I don't know.

Emission States are California, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, and Vermont.

Cross-Border States are Arizona, Connecticut, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Oregon, Pennsylvania, and Rode Island.

If you live in a State other than one of the Emission States where you are buying from a dealer located within an emissions State that dealer can order the car and delete the emission system.

NOTE: In Maine and Vermont dealers can NOT order vehicles for customers in non-California emiison State locations (except Public Service/Emergency Vehicles).
    BTW,

If you live in one of the CA emission States and order from a dealer not in a CA emissions State where your vehicle will be registered in a CA emissions State then the dealer MUST order the vehicle with the CA emissions system.
    That'd be me. White convertible. I really struggled with the decision of ragtop or no. Still second guessing my decision on that. Thanks for checking for me!
    Congratulations!!! Lucky You !! My hat is off to the dealer who did not rip you off. Now I know there is at least one honest Ford dealer in the country. I won't ask his name but you can tell him for me he is a breath of fresh air and a credit to the Ford corp. I like the convertible too. I priced one with the options I wanted and it came to a little over $50k. Stay cool and don't get any speeding tickets! :)
    Thank you very much for the info, shelbydude. My hunt continues. I expect to make a commitment sometime within the next two weeks. It all depends on the DM.
    I'm not sure what to make of dealers who charge a DM based on what the market will bear vs those that do not. Supply and demand, I suppose.
    Moronix,

Why is it the dealer that ripped off the customer???

I have yet to see any dealer hold a gun to someones head forcing them to over pay for something!

If a customer knows what they are paying and knows they are paying a premium and they are happy and willing to pay it, then how in the world is the dealer ripping them off???? That is just pure nonsense!

Just because you can't get your way does not make the dealer a rip off. The dealer would have to FORCE, and orLIE and/or totally MISREPRESENT everything to you in order to rip you off! Without any of those factors involved there is no way a dealer can rip you off!

Also, it is NOT the dealers that set the market value. It is 100% the CONSUMERS that set the market value. Without CONSUMERS willing to pay a premium then there would be no premium! Dealers would be forced to drop prices just the same as they are forced to do that now on most vehicles they sell. Consumers shop for the best deal and it forces dealers to compete by dropping prices to invoice and below just to get a sale! I guess you could say CONSUMERS are ripping off the dealers based on your analogy!
    fastforgirl,

I had the same problem deciding. I ended up going with the coupe because at the time I wanted the over-the-top racing stripes which are not available on the convertible. I didn't think of adding them afterwards. Also, with the seasons here there is only a few months out of the year to enjoy a convertible. So I went with the coupe.

I have seen some pictures of the convertibles that dealers did add the stripes afterwards. I think it really makes the car, personally!

If you do decide to add the stripes to dress it up, you can either order the stripes from any Ford dealer parts department OR you can have them painted on by a good body shop.

If you decide to have stripes painted let me know. They appear to be the same width across the car but they are not. They are different widths that give an illusion that they are the same. So if you want it done right, let me know and I'll get the the measurements of the widths.
  • nipntucknipntuck Member Posts: 13
    Well I wish I would have found this forum before this afternoon. Last week I contacted a dealer who sold a Shelby on Ebay for around $10K over MSRP. I called him last Friday and was told they had another about to arrive in two weeks but it was sold. I was told it would take a $5K cashiers check to even order a new one, and it would probably be late May or early June before I got it. The banks were closed Monday so I got the check ($5K Deposit) and sent it off for the car and the price quoted was $11k over the MSRP. I ordered the premium interior, Navigation System and a factory authorized cover for a total of $56964.00 which includes Dealer prep and gas guzzler tax. I was interested in knowing if I screwed this up and should have gotten something of a guarantee first? Also, does anyone have the Navigation system, and if so how well does it work?
    FYI I did call Ford SVT on Monday and talked to a guy named Jeff. He told me Ford will be building 9,000 more for 2008 and that is it. The 2008 will start to be built in June according to him. He also said that the car I just ordered would probably take 4 months, so that reaffirms the dealers approximate delivery date. He said they have had no problems with the navigation system and it was well worth the $2k. I plan on driving the car across the country this summer which is what I did when I bought my first 1975 Datsun 280Z which by the way, I paid over MSRP for. The Nissan/Datsun rusted badly in 6 years, but was alot of fun. I have had 2 Corvettes since then, but I always dreamed of owning a Shelby Cobra 500. Can anyone answer these questions? Shelbydude has been very informative and I am anxious to hear your thoughts.
    Concerned in Cape Coral Florida...
    As long as the dealer has allocation for the car you should be OK.

As for the navigation, I personally would not want it. I would prefer the shaker 1000 instead. For $2k I can read a map. But it is just a matter of personal preference. Although I think it would be a little odd for a mustang since I would have a hard time looking at the screen while flying down the road. ;)
  • bri66bri66 Member Posts: 220
    My first choice was tungsten gray with black stripes. The day I ordered mine and found out black stripes weren't an option with the tungsten gray I pulled away. I thought of ordering the gray and adding black stripes, but opted to keep mine strictly a number's Shelby. A lot of people I know are changing theirs and upgrading rear end gears, shifters, driveshaft, cold air intakes, pulley's, etc.,but I believe the value of it will suffer in the long run. I have thought of adding the Cervini's side window scoops, but they attach with tape from what I've been told, so I guess adding stripes to a conververtable isn't too drastic.
    When did Ford add a navigation option to the Shelby's? It wasn't an option when I ordered mine.
    You sound like a Dealer to me. Are you a dealer or work for a dealer?
    The rip off comes from the fact that Ford is only producing a limited supply of Shelby Mustangs. This creates an artificial shortage of units available to customers who like to buy the car. I don't mind that if they are then sold on a first come first serve at the MSRP. But dealers recognize they have the customers who want the car in a bind. They are taking advantage of the situation by charging thousands more for the car than Ford Motor Company intended. This is not Ford policy. This is simply dealers taking advantage of the situation and filling their pockets with money they don't deserve. It's not like I can go somewhere else and get a Shelby Mustang. Dealers are given the exclusive monopoly to sell this car and decide to stick it to the customers for whatever they can get. If it were a normal supply and demand situation then Ford would make as many Shelby Mustangs as they could sell. That's standard business practice. If ford makes too many F150 trucks and can't sell them it's because they are trying to force vehicles on the public that they don't want. Blaming the customers for that is silly.
    So we have different points of view. You are entitled to yours and I'm entitled to mine. So not only will I not purchase a Shelby Mustang, I will never purchase a Ford of any kind again. That's also my right.
    Peace....
    My car is here! I just got an e-mail from the dealership!!!! I may have to clear my calendar this afternoon! You say you have seen pictures, I'd be curious to look at them. Are they on a website somewhere? I wonder how it would look to have the blue le mans stripes with a black ragtop.
    I spoke with the dealer this morning and he assured me they have an allocation for my order and as soon as they receive my check today they will place the order.
    Here is a link which shows the Navigation system. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mustang-Shelby-GT500-with-Nav-System_W0QQitemZ140- 085845185QQihZ004QQcategoryZ6236QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is a car currently on Ebay. I ask the dealer to order my car in Ebony Black with White Stripes and Black Interior. I am not interested in the Shaker 1000 Shelbydude because of the extra weight and the room it takes up in the trunk. I also don't like all that "base" at my age. If I were 20 years younger-maybe! Thanks for the help in advance.
    Is it wise to order a car from a northern Florida dealer and then have it delivered to a southern dealer? Is this possible and ethical since this dealer sells his at $20K+?
    Retired in Cape Coral Florida
    Hopefully you will not read this until after you have picked your new baby up. If you are close your internet and go get her. I am very happy you have her finally. When you have a chance hope you post pictures. Congratulations the wait is over. Good luck and don't forget to post pictures. :D
    Dealer just called me and said the order was placed and it was order# H001. Does that sound right shelbydude? I was also able to order the shelby car cover which will show on the window sticker. It was $375 for anyone interested. They gave me a wait time of 2 to 4 months.
  • nrodinnrodin Member Posts: 1
    I have an opportunity to buy the Shelby Cobra (Black w/White Stripes) from a buddy for 54K it has 600 miles on it shaker 1000 + everthing but nav. He wants to order the new one coming in the fall (not cobra) Should I buy it? Thanks for the info.
    Yes, I think it is a fair price. You might be asking the wrong guy though. I think that is a fair price based on the market and it is about $10k over MSRP which from all my homework, seems like a good deal. The dealer here in my town has sold them as high as $80k and now wants a minimum of $20k over MSRP. That is why he keeps reposting the red one on EBay and it is there now again. Makes me mad I have spent $70k on 2 cars with them in 2 1/2 years and I can't get at least a matched deal. Oh well, maybe I have found a new dealer.
    Right you are!

I have her! I'm so happy! Will post pictures this weekend. I'm so glad the dealership did not jerk me around, and still can't believe I got her in four months' time. Will post pics this weekend when I come down off cloud nine.

I'm just so happy right now.
    The navigation was added around December as another option.

It wasn't available before that.
    Funny you mentioned the Cervinis side scoops! I was just on their site today thinking about ordering those myself. The side scoops and the side window scoops.

I think that is the only thing Ford left off this car since every Shelby I seen has them.

They are attached with 3M double sided tape. But I'm still considering putting them on.
    Moronix,

It doesn’t create an “artificial” anything! There is nothing “artificial” about it. It is REALITY and FACT! The entire history of Shelby’s has been a very limited number. In fact, the 2007 and 2008 Shelby’s will be the highest production ever on a Shelby Mustang. They are building about 18,000 of these over two years. That is a LOT more than all prior years combined!

Dealers don’t have customers in a bind. It the CUSTOMERS putting themselves in this bind! FACT! There are more customers WILLING to pay a high premium to get this car, period!

FACT! If customers refused to pay a premium just like you refuse to pay one, then the premiums would drop drastically.

So what you are saying is, I don’t care that people will pay over MSRP! I don’t care dealers have customers to sell to over MSRP! I want mine for MSRP and the dealer should sell it to me instead of the customer willing to pay more and that is more than happy to do so! How DARE that dealer! Get real, man!

Would YOU take a lot less for something you had to sell just because I wanted to pay you less for it even though you had buyers willing to pay what you wanted???? Of course you wouldn’t and you know it! But if a dealer does then they are just a bunch of rip offs! Please!

As far as what Ford Motor Company intended, where in the heck do you get that idea from? Ford Motor Company does NOT set the prices of what dealers sell their cars for! If Ford Motor Company did then dealers would not be allowed to mark them up NOR would they be allowed to take anything less! Oh, but paying LESS than MSRP is all good and dandy, huh? But paying more is just a down right crime! The MSRP is nothing but the manufacturer SUGGESTED retail price. Key word here, SUGGESTED.

Do YOU pay MSRP on every new car you buy? Or do you usually pay less? Who are YOU to determine what price a dealer has to sell their products for???

Do you complain at all the grocery stores about paying over MSRP on their food they sell? Obviously there are grocery stores charging over retail since the prices all vary from store to store on the same food items. Do you stand and complain to them? Or gas stations? Or any other type of store? Doubtful. It’s called FREE enterprise! If you don’t like it, don’t buy it! It’s that simple! Quit blaming the dealers!

BTW, the good news is that anyone that buys one of these won’t have to worry about losing money. Regardless of what they pay they will get every penny of back or more if they decide to sell it! There have been some people that have already sold their Shelby which is USED with miles and got MORE money than what you could have paid for a new one! I have seen them sell on ebay!

This is another reason for the higher premiums. This is a car that everyone feels will only appreciate in value VS depreciate like most cars do! History of the Shelby Mustangs have proven this to be the case.

So are those people that own the older Shelby’s just a bunch of crooks like the dealers are? Heck, they must be bigger crooks! They are getting over 40 times what those cars sold new at! But, they know they have the buyers in a bind because they are not making them any more and they hold out for every penny they can get! Shame on those people! Oh, well, I just won’t be buying one for the $200k plus they are demanding! I guess I’ll have to settle for the new one at $60k which is only about a $15k mark up VS the $195k mark up for an older Shelby!
    niptuck,

The dealer you order this from COULD have the car dropped shipped at any dealer where you could pick it up from. This way you wouldn't have any extra shipping costs involved.

Check with the dealer and see if they would do that for you. They may require you to pay for the car in full in order to do it, but is up to the dealer.
    Not sure on the order number.

But are you getting a Shelby GT500 or the Shelby GT? There is a big difference between the two. The Shelby GT can be purchased all day for only $5k over MSRP where the Shelby GT500 is going anywhere from $10k - $30k over MSRP.

Did you get a particial vin number? When they place the order they should get a particial vin number and when Ford schedules it they will get a complete vin number.

For the Shelby GT500 the first part on the VIN will be 1ZVHT88 for the coupe or 1ZVHT89 for the convertible.

The T88 represents the Shelby GT500 coupe and the T89 represents the Shelby GT500 convertible.
    Correct. The navigation and the car cover are two new added options available on the Shelby GT500. These options were not available prior to December orders.
    fastforagirl,

YOU GO GIRL! Now you are going to be REALLY FAST FOR GIRL!!! ;)

You are going to really enjoy that new ride!

Looking forward to your pictures!
    Sounds pretty good to me! I wouldn't sell mine for that!

If it has the Shaker 1000 and the other two options, sirus sat. radio and premium interior package then MSRP on that would have been $45,060 which means you are just under $9k over MSRP. Not bad at all!
    I agree. It was my only knock against Ford when I rated mine. In my visual a true Shelby has the Leman's stripes and the side scoops. My dealer asked me why I didn't want to order a convertible when I placed my order. It was the stripes and to me the coupe looks so much like the 67 fastback did. My wife knew I fell in love with Elenor and at the time considered buying one from Shelby. Just didn't have the money for one or I would have. If I do mine it will be with the Cervini's. I'm a little hesitant on the idea tape will hold these on, but I wouldn't buy them if it wasn't tape holing them on. I'm on top of the fence waiting to hear more from customers that have them.
    I have to assume the 3M tape would hold up OK. I assume if Cervinis has been using them on all their kits then it must hold up OK.

The one thing I like is that with the tape you should be able to remove them later if you wanted to put everything back to normal.

I think if I do it I would order an extra set just to have incase one did come loose and lost on the road somewhere.

I checked with the parts department on the side scoops Ford adds to the CS model. Those do have two holes in the side to mount onto the car. So those would require drilling holes which I don't want to do.

BTW, if I wasn't lucky enough to of gotten the Shelby I was going to go with getting a GT and having Cervinis do their Eleanor kit on it. I think that is a hot looking car! My wife has a 2005 Mustang V6. I have been trying to get her to let me trade her out of that and get a GT with the Cervinis Eleanor kit.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "Dealers are given the exclusive monopoly to sell this car and decide to stick it to the customers for whatever they can get. If it were a normal supply and demand situation then Ford would make as many Shelby Mustangs as they could sell. That's standard business practice."

It sounds as though your beef then is with Ford for not making enough Shelbys to meet demand.

Prices SHOULD always be determined by the market IMO. ALWAYS. If demand is low and supply is high, then the dealers (and Ford) would be stupid to insist on MSRP. You mentioned F150 trucks where supply often exceeds (by a good margin) the demand......yet I'm sure that if YOU were in the market for an F150 you wouldn't insist on paying MSRP just because that's the suggested price.

Why then insist on MSRP when demand far exceeds supply? Personally, I don't have ANY problem with dealer's getting as much as they can. It's called free enterprise; if I don't like the price, then I don't buy. But whining about how 'unfair' it is is simply pointless.

Where I DO have a problem is when the dealer's tell folks that the demand will CONTINUE to outstrip supply 6, 8, 12 months from now so there's no point in waiting. In reality the dealers are simply HOPING the demand continues strong since that just means more money in their pocket.

Ford needs to sell lots of cars. There is NO point in Ford NOT MAKING more high $$$ cars IF they feel the market will support it. If their analysis indicated that the market would only support 16k, 18k, or 20k Shelby Mustangs over a 2 year span, that's all they'll make. But if dealers are STILL able to get 10k over MSRP a year or so after production began, for what POSSIBLE reason would Ford halt production?
    Hello Shelbydude,
    As I already said we will just have to agree to disagree. I just took a look at Ebay and noticed one dealer advertising (Hartsville, Oh) he has 9 Shelybs in stock. How is that possible? Just curious.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Probably Shelby GTs, not GT500s.
    Thanks shelbydude for the tips. I contacted the dealer today and they provided me with the vehicle order confirmation which included my name and the description of the vehicle. It listed it as a T88 with an order code of 820A. All of the options I ordered were on it. For those interested the DVD Navigation System has an order code of 58X. The cover has a code of 971. The total MSRP was $45940. Now it is just a waiting game.....
    If Ford makes more Shelby's than the 18,000 they have indicated, I will be very disapointed. Most people spending the extra money are banking on that number. If the car had an MSRP of $50,930 I would not have even hestitated. I think you will see the 2008's jump to that price.
    There is a dealer in WA that had over 40.

It is possible because dealers are buying them from other dealers. Everyday there are dealers looking for more.

Dealers are finding dealers that will sell them anywhere from $10k to $15k to $20k over MSRP. Then the dealer buys it and sells it for as much over that that they can get.

So even dealers are paying well over MSRP buying them from other dealers.

I can find them for $15k over if I have a customer wanting one. Some dealers buy as many as they can because they feel they can sell them and still make $5k over what they had to pay.

One dealer sellds them at $25k over firm! They sold over 40 so far. They buy them from $10k - $20k over from other dealers.

It depends on the market area you are in. Some areas have higher demand than other areas. If I had people lining up willing to pay $20k over I would buy as many as I could at $15k over and get them one. Not a problem.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Do some research, look for a small dealer in an out of the way place that has one on hand. He might NOT have a big enough market for the car to command a big premium.

Be Nice.

Mark.
    Nope! They are Shelby GT500s. He had 11 listed when I first checked. YOu can check for yourself on E-bay. He is just another dealer who is ripping off the customers. I suspect he got someone else to purchase them and he took them over. Some have like 8-10 miles and are actually not new.(He's not the original owner) The minimum bids are running around 59-60K.
    Well there goes your free enterprise and supply/demand theory. Some dealers are cornering the market by grabbing them up from other dealers. You must admit that helps to make the price stay high. That is not supply/demand economics. It's called cornering the market and using your position as a dealer to do it. Unethical in my opinion. But as Ken Lay proved, todays ethics are not what I grew up with.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    You don't seem to understand supply and demand or free enterprise. This is still all driven by customer demand and willingness to pay exorbitant amounts over MSRP. When the Ford GT first came out people were paying $225K for a vehicle with a $160K MSRP. By the time the last ones rolled off the line they were selling for MSRP after sitting on the floor for a few weeks. Why? Because all the people who paid the high premiums were gone and none of the remaining buyers were willing to pay through the nose. So the price came down.

If consumers weren't paying $25K over MSRP then the dealers wouldn't be buying them for $15K over MSRP to resell them.
    Let's see, you list a car on ebay, someone likes it, seems happy with the price, so they bid and buy the car at whatever the price is, and the dealer is ripping the people off! Now do you see how idiotic that sounds??? The dealers are not ripping anyone off. If someone agrees to buy something, REGARDLESS of the price, that is their FREE CHOICE! No dealer is holding a gun to anyone's head forcing them to buy! The CUSTOMER is FREELY CHOOSING TO BUY AT THEIR OWN FREE WILL! That is not ripping them off!

If you don't like the price you don't buy it! Plain and simple! The same as you refuse to pay the premium and CHOOSE to not buy it! If the dealers where ripping you off then you would be buying one even though you don't want to!

As far as the cars having 8-10 miles on them...DUH! Over 95% of all new vehicles have 8 - 10 miles on them at the time they are delivered to the dealer!

Mine came right off the truck with 8 miles on it! No one else drove it. I was there when it came it! Some vehicles will have only 4-6 miles, but over 95% will have 8-10 miles when they are dropped off from the manufacturer!

Now there are SOME of these Shelby's that dealers did buy from people and those would be used because they have been titled. Transferring from dealer to another does not constitute a used vehicle. Only after it has been titled it becomes used.

The funny thing is, those people that did sell theirs to a dealer were those GREAT LOYAL CUSTOMERS of the other dealer that the dealer did sell their Shelby to that GOOD customer for only MSRP and that so called GOOD CUSTOMER that just HAD to have one turned right around and sold it to another dealer to make a fast $10k - $20k!!! Some GOOD CUSTOMER, huh??? So the few dealers that did sell their Shelby's for only MSRP ended up getting burned by their own VERY GOOD CUSTOMERS! They ripped off the dealer! WOW!

And I would be willing to bet that YOU, moronix would be the type of customer to do the same thing! Lets face it, if you don't think the car is worth the extra premium then you probably wouldn't keep it if you could turn around and pocket the extra $10k - $20k profit from it! If that wasn't so then you wouldn't have any problem with paying a premium if you REALLY wanted one!

As far as corning the market, give me a break! A handful of dealers snatching up a few extra Shelby's by paying a premium for them is hardly going to even put a dent into what the market will demand for these! The ONLY way that could ever happen is you had several dealers buy up ALL the Shelby's where they were the ONLY dealers where you could get one from! That will never happen. If it were only that easy! I'd buy all 9,000 and offer $25k over to insure I got them all and make you pay $100k to get one! And I'd sell a lot of them for that if I were the only source to get one from. But I would end up with a lot in storage as well and risk losing a lot of money waiting for 40 years to pass by before they were really worth a lot! I only WISH your idiotic theory were true!

You ujust keep missing the point. If EVERYONE REFUSED TO PAY A PREMIUM THEN THERE WOULD BE NO PREMIUM! That being the case then there is no way for the dealer to be able to rip anyone off! It is the CONSUMERS that forcing the prices to go up! No one else! It's the CONSUMERS! Without any willing consumers buying them, the prices go down! But the CONSUMERS WANT THEM BAD ENOUGH TO PAY ANY PRICE TO GET ONE! Hello!!!
    Successfully signed up and placed a down payment on a 2008 GT500 yesterday on my birthday. I happen to be number one in line with this particular dealer. Question now is color and options. I'm inclined toward red because I have never owned a red car, but it no doubt will be a police magnet. If the Shaker 1000 adds weight and takes up trunk space, I will pass. Wife wants the navigation system, so I may opt for that. I sure hope the 2008 provides some wheel options and perhaps a different exhaust system with a little more growl to it.
    As an undergrad, I owned a 1968 GT 500, gold with AT. I was the second owner, who let his fiance (current wife) drive it only once. Twelve mpg wasn't too bad considering the price of gasoline back in 1974. The original owner told me the only car that could beat it was a 427 vette. I never found out, but would enjoy smoking a goat or two on First Street in San Jose. Engagement and moving into government subsidized housing motivated me to sell it at the time. Now, 30+ years later it looks like I may recapture some of those wild oats. :D
    Good for you, happy birthday. Which dealership did you end up ordering it from? Doesn't matter what you paid, you wanted one, your going to order it with whatever you so wish it to have, and it's never going to lose depreciation as other vehicles do. Now the long await begins, hopefully it will be built in the early first quarter of the 08 models. Congratulations again.