Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Shelby GT500

Comments

• pony_piratepony_pirate Member Posts: 317
    The KR ... breast implants in a 350 lb. stripper.
  • bri66bri66 Member Posts: 220
    All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!! My son and I just finished with the second coat of Meguiars NXT and I can not believe my eyes how this paint is so damn nice. It was pretty nice before I started, but what a difference. I did the basic wash, clay, wash, cleaner, and polish all one coat. Now I have finished with my second coat of wax and up to now I hated the thought of waxing a car, too much work. HA! HA! Now I don't want to stop. I think I will put one more coat of wax tomorrow and possibly go over with one final mist of speed detailer. I will post pictures once the sun comes out and show my end results. Until then I apply the wax and my son follows me with the hair dryer. HA! HA! :shades:
  • rhellerrheller Member Posts: 61
    My wife saw the pic of the new color combo (red stripes on black) and fell in love. Alas, it doesn't seem to be an option for 2008.

I'm probably going to pass on the KR. I figure ordering one will be problematic. My dealer may not be one of the lucky ones to access it. If he can't, I may have jeopardized my spot in line for a standard GT500. :confuse:
    Finally posted my pictures after my first wax. I was very pleased with the end results. I used the NXT wax by Meguiars.

In a sadder note I brought my Shelby to my friends house this morning for my way over due 2,050 mile oil and filter change. I was so shocked to see the rust that is under my Shelby. I am buying 4 cans of under coat and a quart can of semi black Rustoleum and a good paint brush for my 5,000 mile oil and tire rotation.

And on even a sadder note while my Shelby was being raised I noticed the head of a spike in my rear passenger side tire. We put a plug in it so I believe it will be OK, but until I replace the tire now I will remember a 4" spike that was pulled out of my tire. The darn thing went in sideways to fit. I have no idea where I picked that thing up. Oh well, if we plan on driving them I guess.........

Hope you enjoy the new pictures. www.carspace.com/bri66
  • 7shlby7shlby Member Posts: 9
    Sorry about the tire! A note about waxing your ride. My car
    buddies and I have used Mequiars products for years and
    still do. However, we discovered a product called " ICE ".
    Some NAPA stores stock it as do most Advance or Auto Zone
    stores. I use it my old Mustangs and my new GT 500. As the
    old add says " Try it-You'll like it."
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Any one try that?

Mark.
    First came the Shelby GTH's....then came the GT 500's 8,000 per year, two year model build....then it went to 9,000 per year, two years....then came the 40th anniversary upgrade
    .... then came the Shelby GT's....then came along the 2008 KR's maybe 1,000, but Mr Shelby said HOLD ON THERE!!!!....
    Then came the red stripe option to finish the 07 model.... and now we have the Super Snakes.
    I figure at this rate by next month we'll have the King GT 750 Super Hooppie Dooppie's. :)
    I for one hope they don't over kill these Shelby's. :confuse:
    I really don't care for the term, "Super Snake." IMO, it sounds a bit gangsta. GT500SS would be fine by me. God forbid we see anything as garish as the screaming chicken that once appeared on the hoods of the Pontiac Trans AM.

My current beef is having to wade through all the posts to discover the differences in the models offered, and not in the least trying to discover the cost for the options and total package.
  • shelbydudeshelbydude Member Posts: 90
    Don't confuse all this. They said 8k - 10k GT500's per year over a two year period. These have nothing to do with any of the other models or packages.

The GT-H is limited to 500 coupes and 500 convertibles that will be built which are for Hertz rent-a-car. The Shelby GT is limited to 6,000 which has nothing to do with the GT500 nor are they even close to being the same. They are just a stock GT Mustang with some added mods done at SAI and will bare the Shelby name on them because of that.

The GT500KR is a GT500 that will be sent to SAI to have some mods done to it the same as the GT Mustang making it into a Shelby GT.

The red stripe package is just another color combo being offered on the GT500 which is part of the regular GT500 production.

The 40th and Super Snake is just added mods being offered by SAI which is no different than having mods done by any other after market company or using other after market parts. Only these mods are being offered by SAI. This will have NO impact on the total production since these packages are only being added to existing GT500's.

If anything this will reduce the overall total of stock GT500's that were built over the two year run.

I would also suspect they will come out at some point with a GT350 model.

So by the time this is all said and done I suspect there will be the GT-H (Hertz Rent-A-Car) Shelby GT, Shelby GT350, Shelby GT500, Shelby GT500KR (modded GT500), GT500SuperSnake (modded GT500 or modded GT500KR, GT500 40th (modded GT500)

So up to 5 total different models with several different modded packages offered.

I like the KR hood, but I also like the GT500 stock hood. I like the 20" SS Wheels, but I also like the stock GT500 wheels. I like the idea of adding upgrades for more HP but I like the idea of having a stock GT500. I like the new stripe layout on the super snake but I like the double racing stripes on the stock GT500 better.

Dang! I need to buy another GT500 just to have it both ways!!! LOL

So I don't know what I will do if I do anything at all!

The one thing I do like is that they FINALLY added upper and lower side scoops on the Super Snake! But I already added those to mine so that won't matter to me at this point.

So when will it all stop? Who cares! As long as they only build the GT500 for the two run it doesn't matter. In fact, it's actually better with all these added mods being done because the factory stock GT500 will become more rare with all the added after market stuff being done to a lot of these and with all SAI packages being added.
    PTL for shelbydude's occasional posts of interest and wisdom. I just went through 20 pages of the stangsunleashed supersnake folder to read such meaningless posts as "I went to a seafood restaurant and pulled a mussel," i.e., I learned little or nothing.

I'm number one in line with my local dealer for a 2008 GT500. I'm very curious to see what will distinguish this model from the 2007 model year, if anything.
    It's easy to get lost in an overwhelming sea of posts on Mustangs and Shelbys at the other post site you mentioned. I try to spend as much time as possible keeping up with all the posts, but I do miss some time to time. Shelbydude has been a great source of helpful information over the past year for me.

What's also very hard for me is to keep up with all the latest Shelby models being offered. I jumped on board once I heard Shelby and have been able to keep up for the most part pretty good. I haven't heard anything about what is being changed on the stock GT 500 08 model. I believe they are dropping a few colors and adding a few. I believe the gas tax will be slightly higher, but not sure how much.

I am happy with my 07 and even if I wanted to my wife would stop me if I mentioned getting another Shelby. HA! HA!
    Brian - Oh, I would be pleased with an '07 GT500; I just couldn't get one. I am interested in the SAI upgrades, primarily appearance options because I know I will not be able to appreciate the extra HP. Hmm...as an aside, I wonder what that extra HP will do to gas mileage? Many years ago, I recall a contractor with a 455 Chevy pickup. He was disapointed with it because he was getting less than 10 mpg. I know; I know...if mpg is a concern, don't bother even asking.

Here's a question perhaps the astute shelbydude can answer for me (us). How are the arrangements for getting the new vehicle to SAI in Vegas arranged? Will the buyer have to contract independently with a car carrier to ship to Vegas and then to the home state? Will/can SAI assist in facilitating the transport? I had a really bad experience with a cross country car carrier service, and it concerns me.

Another aside - apparently SAI is taking names for a Super Snake listing. I wish they would do the same for the KR, as I prefer it.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,315
    there is/was an aftermarket mustang modifier that makes a 'super snake' model.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • 7shlby7shlby Member Posts: 9
    I agree with your idea of leaving the GT500 mainly stock
    even though several upgrades are available. Other than
    install JBA mufflers (sounds better) I have resisted
    the temptation to make major modifications for performance.
    I like the side scoops you installed, and think that will
    be my only other change for now. Even if production of
    the GT500 goes 3 years, with the number of available
    buyers out there, this car will still hold value, I
    believe. Drive and enjoy-spring is here!
    Production will not go three years.

In fact, we just got news today that 08 production will be LESS!

Seems they are going to reduce 08 production to only 8,000

They are reducing it by the 1,000 GT500KR's they will build.

So 08 production will be 8,000 GT500's and 1,000 GT500KR's.

We were also told dealers will not get the same allocation as 07 because of this. So some that got two will only get one. Many will be given based on prior sales where top producing dealers will get any extras. All president award dealers are suppose to get an extra for that.

This SUCKS! But it is good for those that have one since overall production will be less.

I would also suspect that this will create a higher demand where the dealer premiums will hit all time highs VS going down like many have been speculating on. If you got one be very glad you did. If you are still waiting to get one make the best deal you can now and get it! The cost on these could sky rocket more because of this!
    Thanks for the update shelbydude! Do you feel that those dealerships allocated only one '07 GT500 will lose their '08 allocation or still maintain it?
    I honestly don't know. I would "think" every dealer would still get at least one. That was the very minimum that every dealer was promised.

What I think is happening here is that Ford is basically going to take away 1,000 allocations from dealers that got more than one in 07 to make up for the 1,000 KR's they building.

So my guess based on all this would be dealers that got 2, 3, 4, 5 etc, will get 1, or 2 or 3 instead.

Supposedly president winners get an extra, which would be 416 dealers. There is about 3680 dealers total. So 3680 units + 416 = 4,096 units.

This leaves 3,904 units left which would be more than enough to allow every dealer to get at least two or at least allow for the dealers that got two in 07 to get two in 08 and extra to go around. But it appears those extra units will go to only dealers based on their market share penetration.

Still no official word on how the KR will be distributed or how they will determine what dealers will be included to determine distribution. Just a bunch of rumors saying a lottery will be done.
    I know no one knows for sure what Ford will do next week never mind next year, but have you heard anything about the continuation of the Shelby GT for 08?
    I was talking this past Sunday at the Mustangsunlimited car show that was held in CT to someone that has a Shelby GT currently in Las Vegas waiting for a born on date and was curious if there are plans to continue this Shelby beyond the 07 model.
    I seen my first Shelby GT there and I really don't like the way they attached the hood scoop.
    We stood together watching 95% of the show cars exiting and watched some real nice launches. Of the four GT 500's I watched leave only one got on it and watching closely it was sad to see the wheels hopping during it's launch. It was the only one too I noticed with that damn wheel hop. Too much power up front and not enough in the rear to keep up.
  • graham11graham11 Member Posts: 1
    i have been told that the shelby cobra gt500 does not have a limited slip differential ( LSD ) I find this hard to beleive. Can anyone confirm this for me ? thanks :)
    You have been told wrong. It DOES have a Limited Slip.
  • moronixmoronix Member Posts: 29
    Just like a bad penny I keep coming back. I gave up on the Shelbys. I went up to Georgia and traded for a '07 Mustang GT Convertible with the California Special package (Redfire/black top/5 speed standard shift). I love it! The Mall of Georgia Ford Dealer treated me good and I'm happy with the new Mustang. I really don't need 500hp anyway. Everywhere I go I get great comments on the car. It's the most beautiful Mustang ever made. My last tank of gas I got 26.3 mpg while averaging 33 mph. So it was a good mix of city and highway driving. Mustangs forever !!
  • advequityguyadvequityguy Member Posts: 138
    This post is etirely accurate, for those who care about such things. '08 is the last year, 8000 to be built if things go trouble free, 1000 KRs. BTW, 1000 KRs = 1 for every 4 dealers. The vast majority of dealerships wont get even one.

I also agree that toward the end of the '08 model year, premiums will peak. I'm also willing to wager that the KR will bring 25 - 30 over MSRP.
    No GT 350. No more Shelbys. The bullit comes next.
    I suspect the low point for pricing on the GT500 is now. As next year draws to a close, prices should go through the roof. I saw some GT500s on ebay with reserves set at 10k over msrp. Lowest I've ever seen em.
    Congrats moronix! I test drove a GT/CS last winter and was very impressed. I even tried to talk my son into considering one, but he ended up with a Mazda Speed3.

Shelbydude, what is your take on this? I am on the list for a SS GT500, but I don't like the shipping arrangements. I have to first accept the car at my dealership here in New Hampshire, and then ship it to Vegas and then back again. That seems reall risky and inefficient. Why can't FoMoCo ship the car to SAI in Vegas, like they do for the Shelby GT, and then the buyer makes arrangements to ship from Vegas? I have suggested this to SAI.
    The one on my showroom floor is just collecting dust and finger prints.

Mark.
    So what happened to the announcement that order banks for the 2008 had opened up on 16 April? I haven't seen any posting that indicates success by anyone having placed their order for the new model year, to include options. Yeah, deposits...but that doesn't really count.
    The order bank is open. Some people have placed orders.

They won't start scheduling anything until the end of this month and production is suppose to start on 6/25

They still haven't released pricing on the 08.
    So Ford will let you order anything you want, their just not sure what to charge you for it? That's crazy.

Question I just spoke with Sunnyside about putting the 7 year 48K Premium care ESP on my Shelby. They will give me a $50 deductible for $1595. What do you think about this ESP plan? Do you have it on yours? I have it on all my other Fords and think they pay for themselves, but I'm undecided about it for a part-time fun toy. Is there something better thru Ford?
    Shelbydude et al: I just returned from my local Ford Dealership where I placed the specs on my order for a 2008 GT500. I live in the state of NH, surrounded by states requiring the California Emissions Package. NH does not require it. The sales manager and I are attempting to ensure the vehicle will NOT have this package, but are unsure of how to go about it. The specs state "50 state emissions." The sales manager said this indicates all 50 states require the California Emissions Package. I told him this is not the case. How do we go about ensuring no California Emissions Package on my delivered vehicle? Many thanks in advance.
    All mustangs are built with 50 state emissions. That is just how ford is building them.

They can be ordered with specific CA emissions, or federal emissions, or 50 state emissions. Ford just builds all mustangs now with 50 state emissions.

It is no big deal. It is on all the GT500's
    Many thanks for responding, shelbydude. To clarify, the specific CA emissions package will not be added unless specifically ordered?
    This is a distinction without a distinction. The only difference the CA emissions adds is different (longer) warranty. Ford is stupid to continue to make cars that are not 50 states compliant. All Nissans for instance are 50 states compliant.

This isn't 30 years ago where the CA emissions ment some different parts etc.

Mark.
    A black Shelby GT is on the local show room floor. I noted a few minor scuffs on the hood. As I was admiring it, one of the salesman revealed that the vehicle arrived with sand under the hood and in crevices. It appears these cars sit out in the open somewhere exposed to the desert elements (sand, wind, etc). That's discouraging, IMO. I expect more TLC from SAI. This somewhat dampens my enthusiasm for shipping my new, pristine GT500 to Vegas.
    Anyone have concerns about the fact that these cars don't have an inside gas cap release, i.e., locking gas cap? Imagine somebody walking by and dumping a Pepsi in your gas tank. Is there an aftermarket locking gas cap available?
    Randy, I just did a search for locking caps on eBay and they sell them for the 2005-2007 Mustang. They list for $25 plus $5 for shipping. Before buying on eBay check with your local auto parts store. No sales tax in your state plus you won't have to pay shipping.

On another note I finally received my autographed dash plaque yesterday from SAI. Looks great installed on dash. I will post pictures in my car space later today. :shades:
    Thanks, Brian. I consider a locking gas cap a must buy. I'm on the list for a SS with SAI and a KR with my dealership. However, at 28G for the SS, I'm starting to have second thoughts. I suspect the MSRP for the KR will be at least 15G. I think the SAI carbon fiber hood will sit higher than the stock GT500 hood. For me, that is a bit of a turn off. I well recall my 68 GT500 and its high rise hood, which was a bit distracting.
  • jfk123jfk123 Member Posts: 3
    Hey Brian,

I've been reading these psots for about a year now, but haven't really chimed in. I got my Shelby 500GT Coupe in February, and love it. Ordered the plaque March 2nd, I just got my dash plaque this week, took it to a local paint shop and had it clear coated to protect the CS signature that is done in permanenet marker. Came out great. Thought you might like to consider doing the same.
    Great idea! Can you elaborate a bit more. Specifically, does one just ask an auto body shop to clear coat the plaque and they will know what to do? Thanks.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Yes, any paint shop knows what clearcoat means.
    I have DORA in hand for a 2008 GT500. How do I next go about acquiring the VIN# ? Thank you.
    You won't get a vin until Ford pulls the order and schedules it to be built. Once Ford schedules it they will issue a full vin.

You should have a partial vin on the DORA. After Ford schedules it and issues a full vin your dealer will be able to print off an updated DORA showing the vin.

Does your dealer know when their allocation for this car will be available?

Depending on when their allocation comes up, it could be anytime from now thru June of 08. Usually they will get notification within 1 - 2 months prior of when the car will be scheduled to be built.
    Thank you, shelbydude. The top of my DORA (at least I think it is the DORA) says "Vehicle Order Confirmation." To the right is the date of 6/13/07 and the Dealer code. Where can I locate the partial vin on the DORA?

I don't know when the dealer allocation will be available, but I will ask.
    I brought my sons Escape in this morning for an ABS related problem and I spoke to the owner about his 08 allotments. He had two last year for the 07, but he believes he will only get one this year. He said there was a meeting that took place in Detroit last week and he was waiting to hear what was decided. I guess the dealerships that had been allotted two last year may not get two for 08.
    Do you know what the paint shop used to cover it? I already mounted mine last week to the dash so I'm going to leave mine as is, but would be good to know for other items.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    It's just clearcoat - clear paint.
    Brian:
    You can buy a bottle of clear coat at just about any hobby store. Very lightly brush it on with a small model brush. I have a bottle and can help you with it when I finally visit.
    From what I have read and seen over the years the older autographs have fared very well over the years. I'd be afraid to ruin it so I intend to leave mine as is. I do thank you for the offer.

Any luck on finding a locking gas cap yet?

My baby is out of commission this week. Pulled the front passenger tire off yesterday and brought it this morning down to a local tire dealer. About a month or so ago I pulled up to a curb on main street and rubbed the curb with my front wheel. It's not that bad, but the rim is being sent out for repair. It should be back by Friday this week. Cost for repair including tire sensor strap that needs to be replaced should be around $230. Need to be more careful next to those curbs I guess.
    Geesh...does anyone post on this board anymore? :)

I probably won't start buying specialty parts until I'm sure of my car purchase. I have the DORA, but no build date or vin # yet. When I get back from vacation in early August, I will probably get a little more aggressive with my dealer.

Happy 4th of July!