Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Front Wheel Drive Truck?

It may be a stupid question, but why can't you buy
a front wheel drive pickup truck?
Tagged:

Comments

• swobigswobig Member Posts: 634
    that may be a good idea for a S-10 or Ranger (compact). If successful it may work on the bigger trucks, but it would take time to convince people that it would work. I think it's a good idea. I would much rather have a fwd truck vs. a rwd truck - 2wd...
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    has ONE benefit.....snow traction....I'll take the reliability..strength...and less cash to fix tranny of a RWD any day....

- Tim
  • oldharryoldharry Member Posts: 413
    with front drive is less than ideal as tongue weight doesn't help traction, and GM found with their motor home unit in the seventies that traction, and handling suffered with heavy loads. Passenger load, and luggage do not equal engine and trans loads in cars, and the light rear of front drive cars can make trailering adventurous in wet weather. With front drive, an equalizing hitch is necessary with all but class "A" trailers if you tow in all seasons. If your truck is just a commuter, and not a work horse, front drive would be great.

Harry
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Because they have not developed a front suspension or transmission that can handle the torque/hp trucks need to pull/haul/tow heavy loads. VW used to have a FWD truck but it couldn't haul or tow much more than a car could..
    ..front wheel drive sucks..

I have an idea....learn to drive and you won't need FrontWD....

- Tim
  • RoclesRocles Member Posts: 982
    Tim,

I think that advice should apply to the fwd vehicle drivers as well!

LOL!
    ..where you been hiding ace?.......

- Tim
    the frontdrive GM motor home weighed in excess of 30,000 pounds and had almost 400 horse power. It was the drive train of the original Toronado. When they designed that, they didn't know how strong it had to be, so they erred on the side of caution. Front drive cannot handle power?

Harry
    ..one good one....

LOL

- Tim
  • swobigswobig Member Posts: 634
    still around. Many of there owners really like them. I think it would work for the S-10/Ranger sized trucks cause there really not built to haul a ton of bricks anyway...
  • gmcsierragmcsierra Member Posts: 40
    the big three auto makers any ideas here. You know how they work, they say real problems are "within spec" and when you throw some crazy idea like this out they they actually listen to you.

I'd just have to go hide in a cave somewhere if they make trucks fwd(just can't bring myself to actually say the full words). Well, guess I'll go have several drinks to try and forget I saw this post.

Have fun everyone, but lets just not go there!

gmc sierra
  • RoclesRocles Member Posts: 982
    Nothing like comparing a motor home to a pick-up truck....;)
    on what you're looking to pick up. :<)
  • KatmanduKatmandu Member Posts: 24
    When towing, the rear end droops down putting more weight on the POWER wheels. It would be counterproductive on a FWD. Go to a boat ramp and watch a FWD pull out a 1000 lb.+ boat (spin spin spin...no pull) I just laugh as my 2wd pickup pulls out a 4000lb. boat w/o probs right next to them!
  • KatmanduKatmandu Member Posts: 24
    Was that GM motorhome the "EM-50" like in the movie "Stripes"??? Never knew they were FWD. Those old Toronados were great...rode like a couch and got reasonable mileage.
    it was an awesome "urban assault vehicle"

LOL

- Tim
  • rrichf1rrichf1 Member Posts: 47
    oldharry,
    I wouldn't call the old Toronado a true front wheel driver. It's more of a standard solid rear end with knuckles for steering. Maybe that thing was so durn bullet proof.
    Rich
    As I have replaced ball joints, control arm bushings, and half shafts (Front drive axels the same as a Cavalier, only much heavier) on them, I say the old Toronado was indeed a true front wheel drive car.

Harry
  • superjim2000superjim2000 Member Posts: 314
    That be a knee slapper for sure. Good luck on this one now!
    Build and open box behind a short cab on a front drive minivan chassis. Be good for hauling a motorcycle or atv because of low bed height. A modified trailing arm rear suspension could put the deck down where the axel is on a Caravan. Lawn services could haul their mowing tractors without needing trailers or steep ramps to pickup beds. A combination tailgate/ramp would finish the package. The van custom people would enclose the top, and build a rear loading wheel chair van with extra head room for a fraction of what they cost now.

Harry
  • greg116greg116 Member Posts: 116
    The mid-80's Dodge Rampage. A 4-banger front-drive crapper that was supposed to compete with the El Camino i think. Sorta the idea of Daytona vs Camaro. Essentially the Dodge Charger (HAH!) with the rear replaced with a box. Never sold very many (surprise-surprise!).
  • snappy3snappy3 Member Posts: 13
    Who could ever forget those flashy decals?
    Who has not tried to forget?
    Was that available FWD or only AWD?
  • greg116greg116 Member Posts: 116
    ubies have always been AWD. As long as I can remember anyway. I like the new ones, but the old ones are hideous. The new STX should liven things up again
  • gfaustgfaust Member Posts: 6
    Re: #5 That old VW "truck" was actually just a Rabbit, with a truck bed. The only mechanical difference between it and a rabbit was that it had a solid beam rear axle.

FWD was engineered because of cost effectiveness, good traction and control. IMHO, all vehicles should be permanent AWD.
This discussion has been closed.