Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What about the future of Ford Inc??

Comments

• chuck1959chuck1959 Member Posts: 654
    I wasn't exactally sure, so it's probably true. I just can't see them giving up the police and taxi business, especially sense no one else seems to interested in it. IMO the CV still has a place in the line-up.
  • mopowahmopowah Member Posts: 68
    Well, like I said, I could be wrong. I seem to remember hearing people saying that Dodge was wanting to market the Charger for police use. I'm sure there was talk about it, but now I'm thinking it was just pure speculation.
  • john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    If Ford were to use the 500, it would have to offer a V8...cops wouldn't go for it otherwise (and it would never stack up against the Charger).

I think Ford could have great Taxi/squad car 500 that would also replace the Crown Vic in the commerical market if there was an available V8 (I'm thinking the 3v 4.6l), say with required AWD. That would be one coool car. :shades:
  • chuck1959chuck1959 Member Posts: 654
    Oh yeah I forgot about the Charger. Not sure if it ever became a reality.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    I was thinking of nvbanker when I read in Rocky's pasted article that Ford's previous strategy has been to decontent cars in successive years so as to be able to make deeper price cuts. Isn't that what nv was always saying about the Lincolns, and how they were so junky now compared with the early 90s?

As for Mark's remarks, I think Ford has so much catching up to do before it is even on a par with offerings from other automakers, that we have to expect to wait a while before stuff that is available on the newest competing models makes it to Fords. But one thing that DOES seem evident is that Ford is about to make things harder on dealers, which is never a good thing - a manufacturer's dealer body is its face to the consumer.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    MOPOWAH: I also read somewhere a long time ago that the CV (panther platform) would be phased out as the 500 became available. Chuck, you're exactly right, it costs about $10,000 to make a CV/GM, the parts are so depreciated out, and yet, they're a hellova strong car. That thing will jump curbs easily with no damage, if the tire holds up, even if it doesn't. Will the 500 do that ? I doubt it. So, V-8 or not, I don't know if the 500 can do either taxi or police duty like the CV can. Also, is Ford making any money on the 500 yet? Discounting them to fleet prices will possibly make them unprofitable to make. So, I'm guessing the CV will be around a few more years. Let's face it, they own the nationwide Police/Taxi market.

As to the V-8 in the 500, I'd be all for it, but with gas going where it is, I'm not sure any fleet would want the V-8 in it except for an Interceptor. Remember too, a fair amount of Impalas do duty as police cars, so a FWD, V-6 car as a Black & White isn't out of the question.

The Charger? Could be a beautiful Police Car, don't you think? That would make me really want one of the wierd looking things.

NIPPONONLY: Yes, decontenting is one of my favorite gripes, indeed, and nobody is better at it than Ford. They have driven me out of my Lincolns over to Lexus now. It's really nice to have soft floor lighting, lighted door handles inside, a power tilt/telescoping wheel (which the LS had, but no other Lincoln model - ever....go figure). However, the seats in the Lexus aren't much better, if at all than the Lincolns, except they go several more ways to adjust. But flat as Kansas, unfortunately. I wish Lexus could copy a Volvo seat and put it in there.

Ford thinks we're stupid, that we won't notice what's not in our car this time, that used to be there. Especially repeat buyers or leasers like me. But I do. I notice when the passenger seat is not electric on my new Mountaineer, but my old one had it. I notice the missing lighter sockets that used to be in my old model, and these little things that save Ford $5 a car, but piss me off. I guess the second buyer doesn't notice.

Ford is my favorite car company, and I still own 3 of their cars, and I like them. But eventually, you just get tired of it, and realize, like with Nissan, there's somebody else out there offering more, like they care. OTOH, I know Ford is in dire straits, and doesn't have the money to do it all right now. Well, I'm not gonna drive a Buick, or it's equivalent. If Lincoln is now up to Buick quality, I gotta move on. I would consider a Jag, Lexus or Mercedes. I bought the Lexus. :blush: I don't LOVE it, but I sure LIKE it. I think I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Ford - and probably follow them either into Bankruptcy or merger - but when they no longer offer what I want - I gotta be me, you know?
  • displacedtexandisplacedtexan Member Posts: 364
    Did an unusual thing and watched CBS Evening News this evening, catching their Eye on America segment. They're driving up the east coast, reporting on the various effects of rising petro prices. Their fleet consists of a Ford Explorer (maybe Expedition), a Honda Accord, and a Toyota Prius. At the end of the segment, they reported on how much it has cost them in gas for each of the vehicles.

Their choice in vehicles really angered me. Why not choose a Toyota Highlander or some other big, foreign brand SUV, and set that against more economical domestic cars? (I know the Highlander is rated as getting better mileage than the Explorer, but still...) Not to mention the option of choosing Ford's Escape hybrid or one of GM's green machines. I think it would be nice for our domestic news services to at least try to support the domestic auto makers, rather than perpetuate the negatives.

Okay, this was mostly rhetorical ranting. But, I do believe it's one reason domestic makes are in danger of being seen as irrelevant.
    Generation Y will never even consider buying a Ford and why should they?

Here's why, the Futura Sprint GT/A Wagon! :confuse:

I was actually fine with the description in C&D, until I saw that the funky retro control touches were grafted onto a Mazda6 dash, and that the C&D-observed MPG was 9. I really don't think this one will get GenY into Ford showrooms.
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    "pasted article that Ford's previous strategy has been to decontent cars in successive years so as to be able to make deeper price cuts."
    Yea, it's not only Ford that does this. I have an '05 Taurus that is a fleet (i.e. company) car. While I know it's a "fleet special" all you guys know they average "car renter" doesn't know this. And they go to Hertz and rent one of these things and they will never go anywhere near a Ford dealership! The interior has been decontented until it looks like a plastic factory.
    One thing I can say, it's got 48,000 miles on it in 16 months and thus far has been trouble free.
  • mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    Here's why, the Futura Sprint GT/A Wagon

That whole article was a joke/hoax. There is no Ford Futura Sprint wagon. It was just photoshopped Mazda6 wagon pics. Don't ask me why CD did this.
  • lweisslweiss Member Posts: 342
    Actually, Daniel Howe's article in the Detroit News (the one that was linked here) was right on- Ford's strategy is still fuzzy, still inconsistant, and still hardly includes good fuel efficient, yet good performing small vehicles with some pizazz and excitement. Now that the Explorer and Expedition sales continue to tank, they have got some real issues. Sure, their extended Expedition will sell OK but not big enough to compensate. They are talking a good game though. Golly, I'd hate to be one of the people that bought an Explorer/Expedition within the last 3 years. The depreciation on those must be breathtaking. Maybe good if you want a good used one and don't drive a lot of miles.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,509
    I was confused by that one myself. They seemed to be pretty serious with it (usually it's real easy to tell the joke pieces), and it was in a section that featured Ford models from outher markets that could be brought here.

I figured it was another Aussie model, or more likely some kind of show/concept car.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Okay - I feel pretty stupid, and relieved.

Now it just confirms my already low opinion of C&D.
    Explorer/Expedition depreciation has increased steadily since about 1998, but it now matches the domestic competition whereas it used to be much better than. For example, in 1998, you could do a 4 year least on a Lincoln Navigator, and still have 70% residual calculated for the end of the lease.

If you compare the SUV depreciation to any domestic cars, or most of them anyway, there's not much difference anymore. I'm of course, to lazy to look it up, but I know I'm right.... :surprise:
    Explorer sales were down 42% last month?

In the same month that Yukon sales were up 36%?

How does that happen? Buyers have really turned the cold shoulder to the new Explorer, which I don't really understand, as it seems they have NOT turned their backs on other midsize SUVs.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

"How does that happen? Buyers have really turned the cold shoulder to the new Explorer, which I don't really understand,"

Maybe I could give you my view. The "new redesigned" Explorer isn't! The public cannot tell the new model from the old. Hence, it is not creating any excitement at all in the market place. With the new GM models, the redesign is truly different from the previous model. I understand the interiors are also very good. Also- it may surprise you that according to an article I read, the average transaction price IS UP compared to last year. So, GM apparently did something right - and Ford playing it safe in the design department blew it. It's very simple to understand. As a matter of fact- with the new cylinder design shut off feature in the new full size GM SUVs, people are pushing 20 mpg on the highway in these according to the boards on Edmunds.
  • nitromaxnitromax Member Posts: 640
    As a matter of fact- with the new cylinder design shut off feature in the new full size GM SUVs, people are pushing 20 mpg on the highway in these according to the boards on Edmunds.

ooOOOoooo....20 mpg(almost) on the highway! I'm *snicker* impressed!
    :-)

Sorry, it's just sad that people getting high teens are actually PROUD of thier mileage.

And to think my Freestyle pushes 30mpg on the highway.
    "And to think my Freestyle pushes 30mpg on the highway."

Yep. and doesn't have the interior room nor can it 9,000 pounds........

And looks like mini Explorers that are not selling....
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    I have a Freestyle SE FWD and to be fair, 27mpg was the best I've ever had driving on the highway on cruise at about 70mph. But I guess you could get almost 30 if you drove at 60mph.

I also don't know if it's fair to compare the Freestyle to any full-sized SUV, because it will always lose on space & towing. But then unless you need off-road capability and a large towing capacity, the Freestyle is one of the best ways for moving 7 people safely, comfortably, and at a reasonable cost.

A couple of links to stories on increase in sales of some Ford products:
    http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=23245
    Notice:"Combined sales for Ford's CUVs (Ford Escape and Freestyle and Mercury Mariner) registered a sales increase of 8 percent in April"
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060502/ap_on_bi_ge/auto_sales_1
    "car-based crossover utilities saw an 8 percent rise in sales."
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    Personally, I don't think Ford has promoted the new Explorer enough, I've barely seen any ads for it, while there's been more than enough of the Tahoe.

I also don't know if it's fair to compare the Freestyle to any full-sized SUV, because it will always lose on space & towing. But then unless you need off-road capability and a large towing capacity, the Freestyle is one of the best ways for moving 7 people safely, comfortably, and at a reasonable cost.

Agreed! With gas prices steadily climbing, crossovers are a better choice for people-movers than large SUVs, and the market is slowly reflecting this. My father bought a Freestyle last summer, and even though I turned up my nose at first, when I actually sat in it/drove it, I was very surprised. Despite the "low" HP rating, the V6 has no trouble keeping up in traffic, while getting good gas mileage to boot. According to him, he gets the same (or slightly better) gas mileage than his old '99 Taurus. He was looking at a Pilot and Highlander for a while, but is glad he checked out the Freestyle just for fun!
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    I saw the Charge Police Car at the NYC autoshow. It is much smaller than a Crown Vic.

Also departments that do their own maintenence will be loth to switch their Fleet to a new platform and have to come up with a new supply of spare parts etc.

For instnace, In NJ, the NJ State Police has a custom designed center console fitted to their cars. In the time of buget crunches, will police departments be able to afford to have their customazations redesigned for a new vehicle?

Also, Ford continues to provide a few exclusive features such as a Fire Surpression system built into the vehicle similar to that used in armored military vehicles and Ford is the only manufacturer offering factory installed bullistic doors.

I think time will tell if the Charger can gain traction. Remember that the Police Departments that joined the stupid class action suits against Ford for Crown Vic fires, had their orders cancelled. These departments are probably desperate for cars.

The last Chrysler Police product was famous for haveing brakes that caught fire.

Mark.
  • mopowahmopowah Member Posts: 68
    and assume that the new Dodge Charger isn't going to have brake fires.

I'm not necessarily saying the Charger would make a better cop car (maybe cooler?). The only reason I brought that up was that I thought that Ford was phasing out the CrownVic and that would basically leave police departments in need for a replacement. And since the 500 doesn't really seem suited to the high demands of police/taxi service the Charger would seem to be a better alternative.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    the Crown Vic will be in production until after 2010 most likely.

My question is if you can build a SUV on a car platform, why can't you build a car on an SUV platform?

Ford has a perfectly good reardrive ladder on frame platform for the Explorer. Why can't this platform be adapted to a Crown Vic/Town Car replacement.

Mark
    I think that the Ford 500 could easily be the Crown Vic replacement righ now.
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    Uhh, no.

If Ford does phase out the CV. Say "goodbye" to the police/sheriff dept. and taxicab money. Going from a RWD V8 body-on-frame to a FWD V6 unibody will NEVER cut it with police departments, guaranteed! They won't even give the Five Hundred a first look, which is a LOT of $$$$ gone for Ford.

My uncle is a Sheriff in western NY, and between him and the NY State Troopers I know, they SWEAR by the CV, and won't consider anything else. The State police took a chance by purchasing lowered RWD Chevy Tahoes a few years ago, and they turned into a disaster. A local Trooper was killed in one while in pursuit last week. They've also looked into Chargers, but weren't impressed with them either.

Comparing the FH to the CV is comparing apples to oranges, completely different cars for completely different buyers.

Don't expect the CV to disappear anytime soon, at least without a RWD V8 body-on-frame replacement.
    In regards to the first link.....

I would hope Ford car sales would be up. They are STILL SELLING THE TAURUS INTO FLEETS... BIG TIME! So, if they now have the Fusion and 500 - AND TAURUS, this lineup represents more cars that are of the "mid and full size" variety than they have ever had. They have sold more than 66,000 units of the Taurus.....
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    "Maybe I could give you my view. The "new redesigned" Explorer isn't! The public cannot tell the new model from the old. Hence, it is not creating any excitement at all in the market place."

Well I actually like the new Explorer's design. Its better than the 02-05 Expolorer design.

"With the new GM models, the redesign is truly different from the previous model."

I have seen one GMC model and it looks like a Caddy in the front.

"As a matter of fact- with the new cylinder design shut off feature in the new full size GM SUVs, people are pushing 20 mpg on the highway in these according to the boards on Edmunds."

GM SUV's are pretty good though I have to agree even though the one GMC truck that I saw looked like a Caddy in the front.

One last thing: The Toyota RAV 4 passed the Ford Explorer I think as the best selling SUV in America.
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    Well we'll see how good the new 07' Tailblazer/Envoy are in a few months. ;)

Rocky
  • nitromaxnitromax Member Posts: 640
    Yep. and doesn't have the interior room nor can it tow 9,000 pounds........

Sure, but the people driving large SUVs that are complaining about mpg obviously put mpg high on their priority list...or they wouldn't be complaining.

If they bought their large SUVs for what they are designed for, towing, heavy hauling, they could care less about mpg.

Suzy Suburban Soccer mom can complain all she wants. It's her own fault for trying to be like the jones's.

and this ends my Friday rant.

I'm going to my happy place....
    :-)
    One last thing: The Toyota RAV 4 passed the Ford Explorer I think as the best selling SUV in America.

Last year the Blazer was the best selling SUV per what I have read-as far as total units.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter with The Associated Press is doing a story today (5/5) on incentives and how people might be waiting for new incentives this summer before they buy. If you fit the bill, please send an e-mail ASAP with your daytime phone number to jfallon@edmunds.com indicating what make and/or model you're considering. Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Wrong.
    Explorer YTD Sales: 46,716
    Rav4 YTD Sales: 33,944

The Explorer is still number 1. The RAV is number 6.

http://www.aicautosite.com/editoria/asmr/svsuv.asp
    Explorer YTD Sales: 46,716
    Rav4 YTD Sales: 33,944

The Trailblazer is only 577 units behind the "redesigned Explorer". It appears there is some conflicting information in regards to the Explorer. It has been widely reported the sales are down 45%-however this website makes it look like 25%. If it is 45% - then it would appear the Blazer sells more unit. (I have read this elsewhere.)

Either way, not good for a "redesign". As I mentioned, the redesign has completely failed to generate sales.
    Other than a few inches less shoulder & hip space, the 500 is comparable to the CV, so why wouldn't the police/sheriff/taxis go for the Ford 500? Or is it the body on frame design? And why does RWD matter?

Head room - front/rear (in.) 39.4/38.6
    Shoulder room – front/rear (in.) 57.8/57.6
    Hip room – front/rear (in.) 53.7/53.6
    Leg room – front/rear (in.) 41.2/41.9
    Trunk 21.2

CV
    Head room - front/rear (in.) 39.5/37.8
    Shoulder room – front/rear (in.) 60.0/60.0
    Hip room – front/rear (in.) 57.4/56.1
    Leg room – front/rear (in.) 41.6/38.0
    Trunk 20.6
    A FWD drive platfrom is not as durable under the type of conditions that the Police/Fire/etc. needs it to be. The 500 would be junk after 40,000 miles of this kind of abuse.
    FWD vs RWD. The CV is also body-on-frame as opposed to unibody, so it's more durable.
  • savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    3-4 inches in shoulder room is a big difference. It is the same difference as say between Fusion and 500. I consider 500 as a large middle size sedan (just like S80). It is not a full size car.

There is an opinion that in America full size cars were replaced by SUVs. GM does not do full size sedans anymore. 300 is close in size to Mercedes E-class. BTW Chrysler called LHS large middle class sedans.
    I believe the 42% figure is the amount that APRIL sales were down vs April 2005. Autosite still only has March, so it is possible, in fact likely, that the TB has passed Explorer to become the #1 SUV in America. But you know, if Explorer had that terrible a month, RAV could be within a few thousand units of passing it as well. I wonder what kind of May Explorer will have...the RAV is going out the door at the dealerships as soon as it comes in.

Explorer is the way SUVs WERE, Freestyle is the way they are BECOMING. Ford should forget the Explorer and plunk all its dollars in to making the Freestyle as competitive as possible. With the gas prices the way they are, I don't know why they are planning to dump the CVT. And maybe they could borrow the hybrid powertrain from the Escape and put it in the Freestyle as well for an honest-to-goodness gas-saver model.

"Freestyle as competitive as possible"

I agree. But I think they should start by "tweaking" the design of the Freestyle. IMHO it looks too much like a mini-Explorer. And if what were reading about the Explorer is true (about sales) then Ford should put as much distance between the Freestyle and Explorer as possible.
    "3-4 inches in shoulder room is a big difference"

Are you comparing the Ford 500 to the Crown Vic? If you are, then the 500's shoulder room is 2.2/2.4" less than the Crown Vic, and the leg room of the 500 is 3.9" greater in the 500. The hip room is less by 3.7" in the front, so I can see how that would interfere with the police and all the gear they carry on their belt, unless they made a 500 with a front row bench. To me, it's the lack of a front row bench that makes the 500 hard to use for police use.

Head room - front/rear (in.) 39.4/38.6
    Shoulder room – front/rear (in.) 57.8/57.6
    Hip room – front/rear (in.) 53.7/53.6
    Leg room – front/rear (in.) 41.2/41.9
    Trunk 21.2

CV
    Head room - front/rear (in.) 39.5/37.8
    Shoulder room – front/rear (in.) 60.0/60.0
    Hip room – front/rear (in.) 57.4/56.1
    Leg room – front/rear (in.) 41.6/38.0
    Trunk 20.6
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    There are forty five new Dodge Chargers in the Oregon State Police force. Perhaps Oregon's Purchasing Dept has been advised there will be no more CV's.
  • igor2igor2 Member Posts: 148
    Actually Freestyle is said to be taking a lot of Explorer sales.. both seat 7, both are SUV (like) but the Freestyle gets much better mileage...

Fresstylle will be redesigned next spring alongside a very nicely redone Five Hundred and Montego. However Freestyle might be replaced by a Mercury model after all - there was a mule spoted for a Mercury Freestyle derivative, but as of now .. no sight of a Ford Freestyle redesign mule.

BTW year over Year - in April sales:
    Explorer down 26%
    Cherokee down 27%
    Trailblazer down 15%
    Sequoia down 29% (although 4runner is up 15%)

This is not Explorer problem.. this is really Midsize SUV problem.. people either get the Car based Compact or Midsize CUV's or upgrade to the real thing (Full Size SUV's) if they really need the power. All of SUV sales are down... When Gm reports on their SUV's like the Tahoe, they do not tell you that the 1% increase is them putting 5000 rebate on the old models, while selling some measly 10k of the GMT900 models.

Finally.. For people complaining about Ford Sales and Taurus.. right now Fusion and Fivehundred have minmal fleet sales... very very low even compared to the like of Camry.. Ford is doing very well with the Taurus and Focus covering this market.

When taurus is gone .. all of its fleet sales will go to Five Hundred ... very few to Fusion.

Finally.. Ford's Fleet sales are up.. but all of the increase is in F-series.. people seem to think that all fleet sales are daily rentals of car, while Ford's biggest fleet sales are on the Commercial E-vans and F-trucks for contruction and other commercial purposes... there are countless F-series roaming around New Orleans for example...

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with this .. Trucks build their reputation on being used by pros on construction sites. You can expect Toyota aggressively selling the new Tundras to fleets once it is introduced.. seeing a Truck work on your town's contrutction etc.. is the best commercial .. better than any country singer ads on TV.

Igor
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    "BTW year over Year - in April sales:
    Explorer down 26%
    Cherokee down 27%
    Trailblazer down 15%
    Sequoia down 29% (although 4runner is up 15%)"

I wonder why 4 Runner sales up and all the rest like Cherokee and Explorer are down. Maybe age of the current generation 4 Runner has something to do with it. I mean the 4 Runner is 4 a year old model (it was new for 03) while the Cherokee and Explorer were new for 05 and 06 respectively. I was thinking maybe Toyota was rebating 4 Runner more than Ford is doing with the Explorer ad Chrysler is doing with the Cherokee but than gain Toyota spends alot less on incentives anually than Ford or Chrysler does.

"Finally.. For people complaining about Ford Sales and Taurus.. right now Fusion and Fivehundred have minmal fleet sales... very very low even compared to the like of Camry.."
    "Ford is doing very well with the Taurus and Focus covering this market."

Well I think the prime reason for the Focus selling to fleets is its age I mean the current generation Focus was new for the 2000 model year. I think Ford should have re-did the Focus by now for the US market. That was a mistake by Ford in my opinion for not releasing a new generation Focus by now. Also, the Escape needs an update too. I mean a new RAV 4 is out and a new Honda CR-V will be out in September or October of this year for the 07 model year probably. See... the problem is Ford wants to update models every 7 years while Honda and Toyota update models every 5 years.

"When taurus is gone .. all of its fleet sales will go to Five Hundred ... very few to Fusion."

Um, I don't think so Fords mission with the 500 is have it being a fleet car. They need the 500 to give the Toyota Avalon and the Chrysler 300 a run for its money. The revision on the 07 midcycle 500 refresh is to have I would think was to address the 500's criticized blandness by automotive reviewers. I have read that Ford will put a Fusion grille on the 500 but if thats all Ford is going to give the 500 is put a Fusion grille on it in my opinion that is not going to be good enough to turn it into a hotseller in the buying place. I don't understand why the 500 gets ragged on for its bland styling anyway. I mean the Avalon and LaCrosse are bland and those are the 500's competitors in its repective class of car. I don;t know maybe people want the 500 to stick out style wise like the Chrysler 300 does.

"Finally.. Ford's Fleet sales are up.. but all of the increase is in F-series.. people seem to think that all fleet sales are daily rentals of car, while Ford's biggest fleet sales are on the Commercial E-vans and F-trucks for contruction and other commercial purposes... there are countless F-series roaming around New Orleans for example... "

"And there is absolutely nothing wrong with this .. Trucks build their reputation on being used by pros on construction sites. You can expect Toyota aggressively selling the new Tundras to fleets once it is introduced.. seeing a Truck work on your town's contrutction etc.. is the best commercial .. better than any country singer ads on TV."

Well, there is nothing wrong it with Ford selling trucks to construction companies as long as they are not losing money on it I would think. I would think Ford makes more money selling trucks to construction companies than a car or a truck to rental fleets. I mean the rental fleets cars always come back to a Ford dealership or another dealerships car lot. A truck sold to a construction company doesn;t come back on the marketplace the way a rental fleet car or a truck does.
  • igor2igor2 Member Posts: 148
    Well I think the prime reason for the Focus selling to fleets is its age I mean the current generation Focus was new for the 2000 model year.
    the problem is Ford wants to update models every 7 years while Honda and Toyota update models every 5 years.

well.. this is mostly correct Focus is not as popular, because Ford dropped the ball on it.. but right now, it serves well covering some rental fleet sales.. sucks for Focus (I love Focus and owned one), but for now serves Ford right..

Escape, Mariner and Tribute have a redesign ready for production starting January or February 2007.

Um, I don't think so Fords mission with the 500 is have it being a fleet car. They need the 500 to give the Toyota Avalon and the Chrysler 300 a run for its money. The revision on the 07 midcycle 500 refresh is to have I would think was to address the 500's criticized blandness by automotive reviewers. I have read that Ford will put a Fusion grille on the 500 but if thats all Ford is going to give the 500 is put a Fusion grille on it in my opinion that is not going to be good enough to turn it into a hotseller in the buying place.

Well the redesign is somewhat more substantial than just Fusion grille, but it is only a nose and tail job.. (and maybe interior).. however the nose is very very well done
    You can see through the camo that the headlights are much more pronounced and much more interesting than the Fusion's
    (Fusion's front design was just an afterthought after the smashing success of the 427 Concept)

MORE PICTURES: http://www.blueovalnews.com/index.php?categoryid=3&p17_sectionid=9

Overall, Ford is still in big trouble... their new product development is frozen, becaue Fields was not happy with the state of the company. When he took over Mazda, he suspended product introduction for 18 months to realign the firm and fully define the brand image... after that, he let the teams finish all the new great mazda products: Mazda6, RX8, MX5 and Mazda3.

The Edge duo, Fusion trio, redesigned 08 Escape trio, 08 Expedition duo, and 08 Five Hundred trio (quattro) will be released, but Fields is quite open that they could have been better.

With the Mazda designer now in charge of the Cars design in Ford, he will have his teammate from Mazda working with him, and I will not be surprised by a much more expressive and interesting design of Ford cars right after they restart the release cycle. Facelifted Mustang, and the B segments are the next to be released. Focus should be next, and then we do not really know. The releases should resume next spring-fall.

Ford is on the track to regular 5-6 year full redesign cycle.. they have it well in place in most of the world, and as they are finally moving to unite all the platofrms globally, we will see it finally translated int US products. The next Focus should be once again a World product, built along the next generation EU Focus, and Mazda3 and small Volvos on the replacement for C1 platform. Mazda6 and Fusions will be moved off of Mazda's CD3 platform to the European EUCD platform in future generations. The Crossovers will follow with Escape moving to C1 and Edge to EUCD. D3 will probably remain as global large midsize platform. Finally Ford is re-starting Australian Ford and pumping lots of money into 2 projects there: global light commercial truck platform and global RWD car platform. The expectation is that at least the car platform will make it to US as replacement for Panther.

However, that is all song of the future. For now Fields is focused on working out a corporate identity for the Ford North American vehicles.. something better than "Dave".. something more expressive, and more unanimous.. we can see how well his team did it with Mazda.. and I have high hopes the results at ford will be no worse. Current models, are simply the victims of this shift in gears...

Igor
    ""How does that happen? Buyers have really turned the cold shoulder to the new Explorer, which I don't really understand,"

1) I agree with Chuck1 - the Explorer was re-designed by the 500 team......(yawn...)
    2) Have ya SEEN that interior door panel? A real turn off.
    3) What has Ford done to market the new Explorer? I see nothing.
    4) The new interior of the Tahoe alone, would move me. While driving the Explorer, you would probably say it's the best Explorer yet - the interior is not attractive. It's overly plain. Just like the outside.

I feel sorry for Ford design - they don't know what to do. They get radical in 83 with their T-bird, and it's a huge success. Again in 86 with the Taurus, they changed the world this time. They do it again in 96 with the Taurus, and it's not well received - too wierd. So they go to safe and plain like Toyota - not a good move. One flop with the ovid Taurus only meant that particular design was a bomb. Didn't mean America hated style. They need to get the T-Bird and original Taurus guy back, and put him to work again. The Passat wins no customers from the exterior design. It's the interior and the cache of owning a troubled German brand (kind of like Smoking, it's a thrill to defy the odds) that sells them. Oh, and when they're working, they drive really well.
    "Other than a few inches less shoulder & hip space, the 500 is comparable to the CV, so why wouldn't the police/sheriff/taxis go for the Ford 500? Or is it the body on frame design? And why does RWD matter?"

It's all about the RWD and body on frame. The CV is built just like a truck - and it's just as tough. The 500 is no possible way as durable or as capable of jumping curbs, or taking an impact and still running. Plus, if you've driven agressively in pursuit - RWD, and the V-8 power is the only option. The 500 can't be an interceptor in its present form. A Taxi - maybe. Should be more economical to run. DOn't know if you can get half a million miles out of a 500 though, like you can out of a CV.
    "The new interior of the Tahoe alone, would move me. While driving the Explorer, you would probably say it's the best Explorer yet - the interior is not attractive. It's overly plain. Just like the outside."

I think that GM did a GREAT JOB on their new full-size SUVs. The questions is - can they continue to sell them at $3.00 gal/gas?

Also, if you took the old and new Explorer and looked at the profile (sides) only... the average person couldn't tell them apart. That is not good.....
    "Also, if you took the old and new Explorer and looked at the profile (sides) only... the average person couldn't tell them apart. That is not good....."

I totally agree, chuck1
This discussion has been closed.