Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What about the future of Ford Inc??

Comments

• stmssstmss Member Posts: 206
    Do you want listing of problems in Accords? Read the other threads here. Civics; same. Pilots, Same. Camry transmission problems-current.

I have never owned a Honda, not considering one and haven't owned a Toyota for 12 yrs (4runner). I am certainly not saying that there are no problems with these cars. Any car regardless of price or pedigree on this board has listing of problems.

All that I am saying is that the Accord/Camry have traditionally high resale, long history and general consumer acceptance as a reliable, competent product - where you won't lose your shirt. So consumers who don't have the desire, time, inclination, knowledge to look around or are risk adverse will migrate towards this.

Although, I drive a Ford and Volvo - I don't think Ford has any product like this - maybe the F150 trucks. Should they have more? I don't know - the press and many consumers seem to be obsessed with imports that can do no wrong regardless of what Ford does.

Tried and true? I don't think people can assume that now. Things have changed, although some don't want to admit it.

No they can't, and they can't with other manufacturers either. Like stocks, past performance is not necessarily an indicator of future performance.
  • savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    "Do you want listing of problems in Accords? Read the other threads here. Civics; same. Pilots, Same. Camry transmission problems-current. "

That's true - e.g. edmunds dedicated special thread only to discuss

2007 Toyota Camry Woes

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f0c6927/0
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    "The Camry and Accord sell well due to their nameplates, plain and simple. Their perceived quality over the years has helped to sell their cars, not their styling."

So very true, you nailed it. It is exactly why I'm driving an Lexus today in stead of a Mercedes. I can't handle down time. The Lexus doesn't have much, and the Mercedes has considerable. I'm in the Lexus due to reputation only, it's sure a hell not for looks!!
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    Correct me if I am wrong, but even tho they will add a 260+ HP engine, why didn't they do that to start with, as they surely have the brains and technology...maybe that is one of my other complaints, Ford will often put out an underpowered model, then spend months/years trying to figure out what went wrong, and often it is just a simple engine upgrade because folks want to go when they step on the gas...can't they learn from competition, that 200 HP was good in 2000 for my Sable, but the market has changed and folks want better performance, why are they blind to this on so many models, and then try and save it in the 9th inning by adding the HP they should have designed it with from Day One...
    I'm correcting you, marsha, as you requested. Bill would have liked nothing more than to have his new 3.5L V-6 engine ready for the Fusion. It was supposed to be ready, but there were problems, lots of them, that needed to be ironed out. Introducing the engine prior to sufficient testing, refining and proving would be much worse than holding it back.

The other decision that had to be made was to hold the Fusion, which was ready, back, and keep losing ground, or put the great car out there with the proven engine for a year, until the new engine was ready. That's what they did, for better or worse. They either didn't start fast enough on the engine, or the Fusion came together too quickly, whatever the cause. It couldn't be avoided.

What would be NICE for Ford to do, would be to consistently offer their models with continuous improvement so that the public doesn't have to assess each new model like this. When you hear CIVIC, you know it's a Honda, and a good small Honda, from decades of performance and continuous improvement. Same with Accord. Honda doesn't bring out a whiz-bang new car, that is class leading (read Taurus here), then systematically ruin the car over time to where the name is a sad parody. The Taurus changed the auto-world. To have neglected and decontented the car like Ford has is felonious IMO, and they should be stoned for doing it. The Taurus should have been IMPROVED each year, instead they thrifted it into a miserable rental car. This new car should have been an improved again Taurus, a brand that at one time meant best in the world, and it still should. IF Bill could accomplish this outside the truck world, where they do this nicely, he wouldn't be in this jam.....
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    if people would get out on the net, do some searching, they will see Toyota/Honda's perceived quality advantage is just that.. perceived. Just go to google and type in Honda problems... wow, what an eye opener for those who feel Honda can do no wrong.... :blush:
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    What kills me with Ford is how they come out with something earth shattering and amazing then let the product wither on the vine until its so outdated even rental car companies don't want it.

Ranger best selling small truck for years
    Taurus best selling sedan for years

There are endless examples.

Here is an interesting link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bestselling_vehicle_nameplates

it appears that 11 of the 26 best selling auto nameplates of all time are Fords.

Mark.
    count on nvbanker to correct me, even if I forget to request it...:):):):):)...

nv: I think I see your point, but, (I hesitate to say, "correct me if I am wrong") I would tend to think that Ford is CONSTANTLY working on new engines or updating older engines with newer technology...hence, to think that a body re-design was ready but the enginbe wasn't is kind of silly...sounds like Ford designed a body, woke up one morning and said "oh, did anyone design an engine for this car???"...they have had new engines coming for years, and new ones on the board right now, but probably for 2010 and beyond...just how much can you do to a V6 that isn't already known???

If they were redesigning the Wankel 8 or something, I might understand, but we are talking a V6 or a V8 here, how can the engine not be ready???...Honda/Toyota tweak their HP in their V6s 10-15 HP per year, so the 200 HP V6 from 5 years ago now has not oomph...why is this so difficult for us???

NOW you can correct me where I am wrong...:):):):)
    I certainly see your point, marsha - in this case however, it's not as easy to design a V-6 from the ground up, and make it more efficient, powerful and smog free. That's the challenge, oh, and it has to last 150,000 miles without a tear down or failure.... Lots of testing...
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    rather amusing headline at Automotive News today. Seems that Ford's best-selling 4-door sedan is NOT the Fusion, nope NOT the Five Hundred, nope NOT EVEN the Focus. OMG, can it be the Taurus??!! :-P

Seems the rental special is their best-selling car right now. A WHOLE LOT of people at the top of Ford should be dope-slapping themselves if that is true. I've been hearing so much about the fact that Fusion and Milan (or Fusion, at the very least) is selling really well. And yet it can't beat the fleet Taurus for sales?

The nature of the business nowadays is that what you introduce at the top of its game today is old and ignored within a year or two unless you have a fresh update ready for it. In this light, Ford's future seems murky to me, as I think it will not be able to keep all its products cutting edge that way. The Koreans will beat them to it, I think, not to mention the Japanese.

I see that Ford's latest promo of 0% financing and free gas until 2007 includes the Mustang. And we are only in early July. Hey instead of cutting thousands out of your profits on each Mustang sale, give it a bump in power, or throw in some extra features without raising the price, or something. Make the product more attractive, don't just resort to the tired old financing and bribery games that everyone has stopped responding to. June was pretty awful from what I hear, and this is supposed to be the hot part of the sales year. Who buys cars in the winter? Especially Mustang convertibles. ;-)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    ...sounds like Ford designed a body, woke up one morning and said "oh, did anyone design an engine for this car???"...they have had new engines coming for years, and new ones on the board right now, but probably for 2010 and beyond...just how much can you do to a V6 that isn't already known???

Whether or not an engine is new from the ground up, or if it's just a larger version of what was used before, every single component of a new design has to be designed and tested (both in computer simulations and real-world tests) to make sure that each and every component won't fail. Then each component has to be tested as a whole to make sure that the engine meets or exceeds emissions, power and torque, and durability standards. As an engineer, I can tell you that doing each of these things is no cakewalk, especially when the future of a car company depends on the success of this engine. Since the 3.5L will be in almost every platform Ford sells, it's more than vital to make sure that the engine puts down the power advertised, while meeting emissions and NVH standards, and can last over 200K miles.

I praise Ford for taking the time to get it right. The Duratec (in it's many forms) is overall a very reliable engine, and can withstand 150-200K of abuse, whether or not it's been modified, or straight off the showroom floor. A lot of current Mazda 6/Fusion/Milan owners used to own a Contour/Mystique/Probe, and swear by the Duratec.

???...Honda/Toyota tweak their HP in their V6s 10-15 HP per year, so the 200 HP V6 from 5 years ago now has not oomph...why is this so difficult for us???

It's not difficult at all to get an extra 10-15 HP per year. Simple parts such as an intake or exhaust can be revised to achieve this, or retuning by changing cams or timing. The 3.0L V6 has slowly progressed and evolved over the years as well.
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    ???...Honda/Toyota tweak their HP in their V6s 10-15 HP per year, so the 200 HP V6 from 5 years ago now has not oomph...why is this so difficult for us???

Considering that Ford replaced the Taurus with not one but TWO different models (the Fusion and Five Hundred), I'm not surprised by this at all, considering the hundreds of rental places all across the country, each having to maintain/replace their fleet constantly, no surprise there either.

Also remember Ford has made it a point NOT to dump Fusions onto rental fleets, unlike the Camry and Accord.

I see that Ford's latest promo of 0% financing and free gas until 2007 includes the Mustang. And we are only in early July.

And the model year ends at the end of September for most automakers. Also take into fact that the promotion only counts for the V6, the GT is excluded.

Make the product more attractive, don't just resort to the tired old financing and bribery games that everyone has stopped responding to. June was pretty awful from what I hear, and this is supposed to be the hot part of the sales year.

GM's sales are off by 16% or more from last year as well. DC is also struggling. Why? The "Employee pricing" war was in full force last summer, and people bought into the sales promotion, with each brand achieving double-digit sales increases from '04. Statistically, you can't compare the two unless the incentive deals were alike.
    I can appreciate what you are saying, but I beg to differ with this:

"Also remember Ford has made it a point NOT to dump Fusions onto rental fleets, unlike the Camry and Accord"

C'mon, you must know that in 25 years of sales, Honda HAS NEVER dumped Accords into fleets. Meanwhile, Toyota holds the fleet rate on the Camry to 16-18%, so it is still selling roughly 360K Camrys per year to retail customers. Which is a WHOLE HECK of a lot more than Ford's retail Fusion sales.

But I didn't mean to compare. If you do compare, and imagine that retail Camrys and fleet Camrys are two separate models, the retail Camrys outsell the fleet ones by a ratio of more than 5:1. Yet Fusion cannot outsell Taurus. I will stop right now. I was sincere when I said it was a humorous headline. It doesn't really mean that much, because we all know Ford has excess production capacity it just doesn't want to idle, so it is pumping out rental Taurii by the 100s of thousand. It is just a catchy headline, with little substance in the broader scheme of things. It merely points out a problem that everyone and their mother is already well aware of.

However, as to this:
    "Statistically, you can't compare the two unless the incentive deals were alike."

However you cut the mustard, it was another month when Toyota and Honda gained market share at the expense of GM and Ford. Look at YTD sales if you prefer. But I thought end-of-the-year sales were for when the year ACTUALLY ENDS, so you would run them in September. That's how it used to work anyway.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

If Ford would gain control of its production as appears to be the goal with "The Way Forward" they can start to lower rebates.

I hate rebates. They suck big time because they confuse the consumer and distort the market.

Take the Focus for instance. Typically a 4 door Focus SE with cruise and automatic has an MSRP of about $16,500.

Not so hot. But consider that there is almost always a $2,000 rebate on the Focus plus about a $800 discount.

At $16,500 the Focus is no bargain. At $13,995 or under...BIG BARGAIN!

Mark
    "???...Honda/Toyota tweak their HP in their V6s 10-15 HP per year, so the 200 HP V6 from 5 years ago now has not oomph...why is this so difficult for us???"

Unless plans have changed, when the 3.5L whizz-bang engine is ready, it'll go into the Lincoln MKZ first, then the Fusion, and 500, then the Mustang.... So the Mustang will benefit from the new smoother engine as well.

Admittedly, both GM & Ford don't understand the value in continuous improvement of a model, continually polishing the image of the brand, as the Honda Civic or Accord have done. I'm not sure they'll ever learn that. The F-150 and Mustang are about the only models they have continuously improved over decades.
    I think the original purpose of rebates, when they started years ago, was to offer a "discount" (and, it is real) but maintain the MSRP for when times were better and the rebate was not necessary...

So, a $30K car with a $3K rebate, sold at $27K, was still classified as a $30K car, whereas if they simply lowered the price to $27K, they would then have to raise the MSRP by over 10% to get back to $30K...it is my belief that manufacturers years ago thought rebates would be quite temporary, but now they see they have opened a Pandora's box because now everyone's first questions is, "this price is too high, when do the rebates/employee pricing start?"

We will always expect some major discount because they consistently overproduce so they will always have to discount to move the product...if they only made enough to satisfy 80% of sales and the demand was high, they might sell w/o rebates...

Now that they are finally jettisoning all those extra unneeded UAW workers, they won't have to keep the lines moving just to keep everyone employes, they can just make what they can sell and maybe raise profit margins...there is nothing wrong with a smaller market share and higher profitability...I can never understand why any company would sell itself into bankruptcy for market share, only to make no money or lose money...Ford should let market share drop by 5 points and make billions on what they sell near MSRP w/o rebates, rather than cut the prices with rebates and declare a loss, BUT OUR MARKET SHARE GREW BY 3%...not a smart way to run a business...where is Henry when we really need him???
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    I had a Fusion SE 2.3 4 cylinder auto as a rental (I know don't cringe)in California a couple of weeks ago. We were living with the car for a week and using to haul people around alot. We had a good mix of city, highway, and coastal mountain driving.
    I thought the car handled fine, if not particularly sporty, was comfortable for 5, and returned strong fuel economy (I think it was like 28 or 29). There were some minor HMI complaints with the audio system but more seat time might have trained me enough to get over them. Oh, and it didn't have ABS. I thought that was odd since it is standard on the Accord on all models.
    I also test drove Foci recently, the ST sedan with 5spd (and the 2.3/4) and the "beer can" ZX3. For how long the Focus has gone without a major re-design, I think the exterior still looks fresh and the interior is functional if not overly exciting.
    Someone at Toyota was quoted at last year's Detroit auto show as saying "the best selling flavor of ice cream in the United States is vanilla...."
  • heel2toeheel2toe Member Posts: 149
    The Focus has had a redesign a few years back, but Ford decided not to bring the C1 Focus to the US.

The chassis is essentially the same as the Volvo S40 and Mazda3.
  • john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    "The Focus has had a redesign a few years back, but Ford decided not to bring the C1 Focus to the US."

Ford really needs to bring us the Euro focus, or at least give us something approximating it. And it's a great time for the Focus C-max (I think that's what it's called...the Honda Fit-style hatchbox) as well, Ford.
    FWIW, the Mazda5 is also C1 chassis based.
    heel2toe, it makes me wonder if you are a neurologist...:):):)
    Nah, its a playful reference to a trick that really hardcore stick shift drivers use to perform smoother shifts. (And no, I am not particularly competent at said trick, either.)

Really was just an attempt to suggest my love of cars with 3 pedals... :shades:
  • pnewbypnewby Member Posts: 277
    Thanks for the clarification, I was thinking of that test the Trooper gives when pulled over late at night. :D
  • jimlockeyjimlockey Member Posts: 265
    Ford has stuck with the gas guzzlers and 0 to 60 menitality until it is to late. Ford will fall further than GM.

Come on Ford. You have the best dealers in the US.
    While I agree Ford needs to change - I don't see how
    GM is doing it better, seeing that their entire future was nestled in the GMT900 SUV line basket - and Ford has brought out new CARS in the past 3 years, Mustang, 500, Fusion. How does this make Ford any more precarious than GM?
  • ehaaseehaase Member Posts: 328
    While I agree Ford needs to change - I don't see how
    GM is doing it better, seeing that their entire future was nestled in the GMT900 SUV line basket - and Ford has brought out new CARS in the past 3 years, Mustang, 500, Fusion. How does this make Ford any more precarious than GM?

Why do you say that GM has its entire future nestled in GMT900? GM also has the Lambda crossovers coming later this year and next year. It has the new Epsilon mid size cars - Saturn Aura and the 2008 Malibu. The 2008 Cadillac CTS is restyled, and the insiders are impressed. It has redesigned Theta platform crossover (Saturn VUE, Chevrolet Equinox, and a new GMC model to replace the Pontiac Torrent)coming out in about 2 years. It has the Zeta RWD cars - Camaro, Impala, and Buick Lucerne - in about 3 years.

The only all new stuff from Ford are the 2007 Edge/MKX, 2008 Lincoln MKS, and 2009 larger crossovers for Ford and Lincoln, as well as redesigned front ends for a variety of other vehicles.
    Yes, ehaase, all this may be true but it's all COMING. Right now, the only thing they have that's new, are the SUVs. Ford has more stuff COMING also.

I just think both companies are about equally yoked with a heavy load to carry.
    I read that Ford is before way forward plan was at about 50% flexile manufacturering. The lowest in the industry. By next year, this figure will be in the 90% area.

This is going to make a big difference. Ford will beable to better control the supply of what is on dealer lots, instead of haveing to resort to huge rebates.

I would like to see Ford get new models out quicker ther.

Mark.
  • lweisslweiss Member Posts: 342
    Actually, I am a little more confidant that Ford can find its way to better times than GM. While both companies are burdened by legacy costs and the wrong products for $3+ gasoline, Ford has shown better product design and execution, especially in mainstream cars like the Fusion. The Edge looks promising also, and they do have the Mazda and Volvo connection and European vehicles that they could bring to North America. GM has shown very little in the way of mainstream successful vehicles in the last 5 years. There new SUV's and trucks are great vehicles for what could be a very much shrinking market. Ford stock may be a very good investment if it hits $5/share.
    I'm in agreement. Ford is positioned well globally, has good product in Mazda/Volvo, and has leveraged it well. GM has Cadillac. Their SUVs are nice looking now, inside and out, and for most GM buyers, that's enough. But they are feature deprived still. To get some new stuff out across their overfed, fat lethargic brand line, will take a fortune, and under the hoods and skin, once again, just as with their SUVs, there really nothing new in there. Still way too many pushrods and 4 speed automatics that have been around since Reagan., Carter and even Ford (the President). GM leads in the industry in making old technology work. I think they should merge, it's their only way out of their box.
    yet another article in Automotive News about how Ford has to review their Way Forward plan only six months into the year. The Explorer is tumbling into oblivion. The Expedition has just been extensively reworked........to grab an increasing portion of the shrinking large SUV pie? And this is exactly GM's strategy too, with the new Tahoe and Suburban? EVERYONE can't grab a larger share of a shrinking pie!

Meanwhile, they wring their hands that new small car models for NA are at least three years away? How can that be? i ask you.

The Edge and Fusion will/are hit/hitting the meat of the market, but the F-150 sales are down. Uh oh.

And Jeep comes out with Patriot and Compass shortly, giving the Edge extra competition. Oh, and the fully revised CRV this fall.

It may be that at some point soon Ford needs to take a gambit and bring out something that doesn't just mimic everyone else. Another Mustang, if you will. And bring on the hybrids, or WHATEVER vehicles, anything that will save gas!

"It may be that at some point soon Ford needs to take a gambit and bring out something that doesn't just mimic everyone else."

Nippon - I'm confused. Your normally cogent comments have given way to contradiction. The Edge is here, but the Compass and Patriot are "coming" from Jeep, and Ford is only mimicing everyone else?

The 500 is, once again, redesigning the large sedan, with tall seating, extraordinary room inside, trunk, and economical. It mimics nobody.

The Fusion is competition for Camcords, but who exactly does it mimic?

Ford's SUVs are still the best design bar none as far as function go.

IMO, Ford has one problem larger than all the rest - their designs have hit the wall. The chief designer of the 500, along with whoever signed off on the design, should be banished back to Hudson. Same on the Explorer. Especially the inside designer.
  • topdwntopdwn Member Posts: 2
    My neighbor was a victim of a hit & run and he is in need of some detective work. His 3 month old Benz was rear ended and the perpitrators car left some Ford lens covers behind. We were wondering what type of car this lens came from. One lens has item # "LH SAE-AIP2P-89 TD" and other lens has "SAE HR 89 CR" we're guessing it's a '89 Ford, but can anyone get more details out of these numbers? Thanks!
    If I could see it, I may be able to get you closer than an 89 Ford, but remember, when the lenz is initially made, in this case 89 for the model change, it'll say 89 on it until they don't use that model lenz again. In the case of say, a Lincoln Town Car, it may be a 90 - 97, because they used that particular lenz until they changed body style, and it would still say 89 on it.
    Well, nv, I probably didn't explain myself well.

Before we get too excited about the Edge, what is it exactly? Why it is a crossover based on the company's midsize car! Something the Japanese and the Koreans have had for ages, except Nissan. Yeah, it looks pretty good, but it aint breaking any new ground. GM was there ahead of them.

"The 500 is, once again, redesigning the large sedan, with tall seating, extraordinary room inside, trunk, and economical. It mimics nobody."

OK, I haven't seen the specs and pics on the next-gen 500, but THAT isn't here yet, is it? And really, what about tall, lots of interior room, and big trunk isn't everybody doing with their large sedans? So it will be an "economical" version of the S80, but that doesn't automatically mean it will be all that special. The details are in the cost-cutting from one car to another...

I think perhaps my "mimic" comment was taken too literally. I wasn't suggesting Ford is actually trying to make exact copies of anybody else's cars. But they just follow the trend, and hope the styling will grab buyers. Which describes the Fusion to a tee, IMO. Very decent car, a little less expensive than the Japanese and a little more than the Koreans, with middle-of-the-pack performance and features.

Ford SUVs may be the best bar none (personal experiences I have had have led me to a different conclusion, but I won't quibble on this point because...). Truck-based SUVs have a seriously limited future. In fact it seems even pick-ups are faltering a bit as the crowd buying them mostly for personal transport downsize/change category entirely with the elevated gas prices. The core buyers who really need a truck are 75% or less of the annual sales of these models, and I don't think this is the first year we will see F-150 sales drop a bit. And that's not a specifically Ford comment - all the carmakers will suffer there, I think. Not a lot, just a slow decline for the next few years, until sales have subsided 10-20%.

Woe betide Toyota with its large investment in Tundra redesign and future production over these last few years!

• alwynalwyn Member Posts: 9
    Ford needs to have vehicles that are popular in their lines available to buyers-Hybrid Escapes,fusions-sport tracks-and get with the toyota and honda gas saving vehicles-the day of oversized pickups with current and future gas prices due to the world economy is over-build F150's with gas mileage at 25mpg plus/w nav, (like their Hybrid Escape)and options like in STLimited 2007-
  • alwynalwyn Member Posts: 9
    Ford needs to have vehicles that are popular in their lines available to buyers-Hybrid Escapes,fusions-sport tracks-and get with the toyota and honda gas saving vehicles-the day of oversized pickups with current and future gas prices due to the world economy is over-build F150's with gas mileage at 25mpg plus/w nav, (like their Hybrid Escape)and options like in ST Limited 2007-
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    I read an article about how ford is still plowing money into SUV's to try to grab part of the shrinking SUV market.

As a stockholder ( yeah, i don't know why either ) i'd much rather see them work on the 500, and bring the focus 2 to the united states. Bonus points if the european diesels are brought over.

I think the 500 is a pretty good car. I read that part of the popularity of SUV's is because people miss big sedans and their upright seating positions. It is boring to we enthusiasts, but people don't buy camrys and accords because of passion either ( another disclaimer: my honda stock has been much kinder to me ).

I'd like to see them stick the escape drivetrain in the 500. I think that'd be compelling. It could probably get 40 city and 35 highway.

dave
    Forget about the Focus 2. No one is going to pay Mazda3 kind of money for a Ford Focus.

I did a price out on an 06 Altima for a customer the other day and with the $1,750 rebate, she told it was cheaper than the Mazda3 she just looked at.

Now how many Focuses do you think Ford could sell at Altima/Fusion prices?

Its a dumb idea. A better idea would be to reskin the current model with a better interior and knock $1500 off of the MSRP instead of stuffing a $2000 rebate down dealer throats.

Or Ford could scrap the Focus all together and replace it with a true B-class car that would offer premium appointments. The Focus really isn't that much smaller than the Fusion..

Focus definately needs to change some how though and I think at this point they would need to give it a new name.

Mark.
    Hum. I'm not sure about your assumptions concerning the price/size/appointments of the focus2. After all, the s40 shares that platform, but costs quite a bit more than the mazda3.

I think cutting prices is always a bit problematic. I'd rather see them replace, or add content.

I think there is room for small cars--the fit/yaris are selling well, and ford's small cars are very well regarded in europe.
    Hasn't Ford said that their small car strategy is going to have 3 new models over the next few years which will all be built in Mexico?

I'd imagine that the vehicles would at least be mostly derived from Ford of Europe designs...
    They plan to do it over the next few years.

HonToy have them in dealers now, and they can't supply enough of 'em.

In a couple of years, the next hot thing will be something else.

dave
  • mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    So, Ford should just give up on small cars altogether because Honda and Toyota have better products right now? If they had done that with mid-size cars they wouldn't be making all that money on the Fusion now.
    "So, Ford should just give up on small cars altogether because Honda and Toyota have better products right now? "

No, i disagree with your sugestion. I think that ford's products are as good, they just don't have them here right now, and several years may be too long to wait.

Seems that the big problem with ford, and other US car companies is how slowly they react. It took hontoy 1 year to bring smaller cars here. Why will it take ford 3-4?
    WHERE is the Ford Small Car?

Small cars help Honda profits soar

When is Ford going to be leading the trend instead of following?

Mark
  • chuck1959chuck1959 Member Posts: 654
    due for a restyle for '07?
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    The Lincoln MKS, sure looks to be awesome. It has the most powerful DVD-Audio system on the market, borrowing it from the MKZ. The Volvo S80, is built in Sweden, so I wonder if Ford will build the MKS in Sweden ?

Rocky
  • ehaaseehaase Member Posts: 328
    500 gets a Fusion style grille for 2008, but no restyling until 2010 or 2011 (per this week's Automotive News).

MKS will probably be built at the same Chicago plant where the 500/Freestyle/Montego are built.
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    Okay, thanx-ehaase

Rocky
  • buckwheatbuckwheat Member Posts: 396
    Ford readies 6-speed automatics, new engines

Richard Truett Automotive News / July 31, 2006 - 6:00 am

DETROIT - Ford Motor Co. will expand its use of six-speed automatics and introduce engines that are expected to dramatically upgrade the refinement and performance of its vehicles in the next five years.

Fuel economy is expected to improve incrementally as well.

Ford is focusing its powertrain engineering in four areas: diesel engines for light-duty trucks and SUVs, higher horsepower V-8s for cars and trucks, gasoline-electric hybrids and six-speed automatic transmissions.

Here's what's on tap: Diesel engines: At year end, Ford will replace its troubled 6.0-liter Power Stroke diesel truck engine after just five model years.

In the first quarter of 2007, Ford's redesigned 2008 Super Duty trucks will be powered by a 6.4-liter diesel V-8 with a state-of-the-art piezo fuel injection system.

Ford engineers have finally resolved most of the 6.0-liter's quality issues, but the change is being made to boost power as well as comply with tightening emission regulations that take effect in January. The new engine will enable Ford to keep pace with General Motors' and Dodge's new diesel engines.

Look for the new 6.4-liter diesel, manufactured for Ford by International Truck and Engine Corp., to deliver 350 hp and around 625 pounds-feet of torque.

For light-duty trucks, such as the

F-150 and Ford Expedition, Ford may use a 4.4-liter diesel V-8, based on a smaller engine used by its Land Rover division, beginning in 2010 .
    Gasoline engines: Ford's new 263-hp, 3.5-liter V-6 hits the road this fall in the 2007 Lincoln MKZ sedan. The car was called the Zephyr during the 2006 model year.

The engine architecture has been designed with future technology in mind. The engine can be mated to a hybrid transaxle, outfitted with gasoline direct injection as well as a turbocharger. Ford Powertrain Vice President Barb Samardzich said the engine can be used in rear-drive vehicles such as the Mustang.

Ford also is offering a variety of engines that operate on E85.

Big-block V-8s are on their way for such vehicles as the F-150, Expedition and Mustang. A 5.8-liter V-8 could appear in 2009. A 6.2-liter V-8 could be added for the Lincoln Mark LT pickup around the same time.
    Hybrids: Bill Ford's recent decision to back off on the goal of developing capacity to assemble 250,000 gasoline-electric hybrids annually by 2010 will not slow Ford's short-term plans. The 2007 Mazda Tribute adds the same hybrid powertrain as the Ford Escape and Mercury Mariner.

The next-generation hybrid transmission is being engineered by Ford and is still on track for late 2008 for the Ford Fusion and Mercury Milan. But Ford has not decided on where to build the second-generation gearbox. Ford could stick with its current supplier, Japan's Aisin AW, or build it in the United States.

Ford is re-evaluating plans for hybrid versions of the Ford Five Hundred, Mercury Montego and Edge and Lincoln MKX.
    Transmissions: Six is the magic number at Ford Motor when it comes to transmission gears and improving fuel economy. Nearly all Ford cars and many of its light trucks will shift to a six-speed automatic transmission, which offers a 6 to 8 percent fuel economy gain over a four-speed automatic.

The six-speed for front-drive vehicles was co-engineered with GM. The transmission for rwd models will be produced by Ford.

A six-speed transmission will be standard in the upcoming 2007 Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX crossovers. The transmission is expected to eventually replace the six-speed automatic Ford currently purchases from Aisin for the Ford Freestyle, Five Hundred and Mercury Montego.

Once that change is made, Ford sources have said the savings per transmission will be about $1,000 per unit.

The automaker also is expanding six-speed automatic transmissions to the 2007 Ford Expedition and several other rwd trucks.

Finally, Ford is dropping the continuously variable transmission offered in the Ford Freestyle, Five Hundred and Mercury Montego at the end of the 2007 model year.
This discussion has been closed.