Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru B9 Tribeca: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• cluelesspacluelesspa Member Posts: 648
    Ok just wanted to point out the 5 star for those thinking of buying the kit. ;) I would guess to get it close to perfect (as I like stuff :shades: ) it will take a pro to install over the headlights. the shape of the B9 is not a smooth single bubble like alot of cars but it has multiple areas to get correct.
  • mikejlmikejl Member Posts: 78
    The car had been sitting for more than 12 hours. A warm engine might affect the initial temperature reading, but it wouldn't have a lasting effect.

From what I have observed so far, the initial reading may take a minute or two to correctly reflect the outside temp, but it reacts fairly quickly after that. In this case, I can be sure that it was not reading correctly even after 15 minutes, and I believe it was just as wrong 40 minutes after that, when I got to work.
  • megreyhairmegreyhair Member Posts: 154
    I called up a local installer.. $90 for everything, $60 for the film, and $30 for install.
    For that price, i m not even going to bother to do it myself. Try to see if the guy and do it tomorrow. Let you guys/gals know when its done.

BTW, the body panel film install is expensive. My co-worker is getting his vette done by these guys and they i think labor is like $800 or something.
    so your getting the foglights and headlights both done turnkey for $90. thats a better price then I got locally at $120.

I thought you already ordered the kit from that link you posted?
  • subienewbie2subienewbie2 Member Posts: 458
    I have had outside temp gauges on few cars.

They are never very accurate in extreme temperatures until you been driving a for any where from 15 to 30 minutes or more.

The sensors take time for the temp to adjust on the part of the car where it is mounted. In the summer if you park in sun on a hot sunny day and the temp will read 5 to 10 degrees higher than the actual air temp.

Watch it but it is probably not a problem.
    Now I have both fog light lenses crack. I went to the dealer as SOA recommended. This guy was a total idiot. He looked at both cracked lenses and said " well if there signs of cracking that would not come under the warranty.

I said if there were signs of dimples and cracking it would definitely not be covered. But my car does not have a mark on it. The odds of only 2 stones striking just the 2 lights and no other stones dinging the bumper or front fascia is a virtual impossibility.

Any way the Subie regional guy will be at the dealer next Tuesday so I bring it back then. Will let you what he says.

image[IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b4/subienewbie2/Lens/20051118_IMG_0057.jpg[/IMG]
    I think we should create a thread where we can do a one time listing of our cracked lenses and state the following:
    Which lens
    Date noticed
    Mileage at the time
    Chips or dings in the area
    Last 4 digits of the VIN

I would start it but I do not know how.
  • harvptharvpt Member Posts: 40
    My tire pressure light went on today, tires did not look low. The temp was 35f. I put a small amount of air in each tire, the light went out after I started driving. Is this a temperature issue? The tires appeared fine.
    Nope. Was debating if i should do it since its cold outside.
    Temperature. You loose 1 lb for every couple of degreess.
    I think the manual tells you the exact amount.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    That would be about 1 psi for every 10 degrees Fahrenheit.

tidester, host
  • petems1petems1 Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone used their climate control in cold weather? I used mine in the last few days with 38-48 temp with the settings at 75 and couldn't get warm. It seemed to warm to a point and then would continually blow cool air out the vents. It doesn't seem like the temp setting knobs match the temperature coming from the heater. I had to go to manual and crank it up to 80+(seemed pretty silly when it was only 48 outside). I will complain to the dealer but wondered if anyone else had this problem.

Pete
  • aka1aka1 Member Posts: 110
    In order to answer this question properly, I guess my question to you would be is this the first car you have had with a fully automatic climate control? Cars with Auto CC have a sensor on the dashboard, more or less a sunlight sensor/temperature sensor, that if there is direct light going to that sensor, it will blow cooler air through the upper vents, and warmer air through vents to the feet. This is normal operation for the car and is intended to keep passengers bathed in direct sunlight comfortable, and their feet still warm.

All my current cars, and most of my previous cars had this- and the first time it happened I thought something was wrong- but the owners manual in my Lexus explained it properly- I'm not sure if its in our owners manual....

I hope that helps, I still encourage you to go visit your dealership, perhaps something may be wrong.

AKA
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    Subaru Climate Control sucks. Keep the side vents closed or 90% closed during the cold season - that will make your life easier.
    Had my first oil change- ~2500 miles this morning, while at the dealer brought the TPMS light issue to dealer as well as cracked fog light. There was a very small nail in my tire that was giving me problems, they repaired the tire; if leaks again they will replace the tire free of charge, negligible mileage according to Subaru dealer mechanic.

They ordered new foglight, NO CHARGE should be in next week for replacement, dealer agreed that there was no visible stone chips and Subaru will pay for new part.

Last but not least, was pleasantly surprised to NO CHARGE for oil change, dealer will perform oil change free of charge for first year- was not aware of that when buying the car.

I am extremely happy with the service, they performed beyond my expectations.

On another note, spoke with my Salesman- while talking he let me know that Subaru is trying to get all dealers to build new buildings for Subaru (Subaru Star Showrooms?) said that SOA would subsidize 75% of cost of new building. Plans call for dedicated showroom, service area, interactive displays for Subaru's symmetrical all wheel drive. Waiting lounge with full amenities- and depending on dealerships, loaner cars.

AKA
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    Who is your dealer?

Name and city - THANKS

Want to show this to my dealer who is an [non-permissible content removed].
  • petems1petems1 Member Posts: 5
    All my cars have Climate control as well. In my last car there were times when the air was cool coming out on very sunny days but not like in the Subaru. In the Subaru it is continuous.It seemed in the other cars when the desired temp was reached I didn't have a cold wind blowing on me. It's unfortunate in the Subaru that you can't close off the center console vents. I have my 3000 visit in another week or less so I'll bring it up. Maybe by then I'll figure it out.
  • marilynwmarilynw Member Posts: 24
    I had the same problem. The tire pressure light came on once the temperature dropped into the 30's.I have the car 2 months and the tire pressure seemed fine. I went to the local Mavis Tire store and the mechanic checked all 4 tires and said the pressure was low in all the tires. He said the temperature can effect tire pressure. He added air and I'm good to go.
    Hunter Subaru, Charlotte NC- best of luck!
  • carter98nccarter98nc Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone experienced any problems while in manual mode? I switch to manual mode and when tapping up on the stick, nothing happens. If I'm already in motion and switch to manual mode, depending on the speed, it will put me in the correct gear. At that point, depending on the gear I will see a up and down arrow indicating I can shift in either direction. Shifting down always works but no matter what speed I'm traveling, shifting up does nothing. If I'm at a standstill, it will say 1 with an up arrow. I drive and bring the speed to about 20, tap up for the next gear and nothing! It stays in first gear! Sport and normal mode appear to function correctly. :cry:
    I contacted an xpel dealer today and he said the kit for the head lamps and fog lights would be $70. and $10. to install. Total of $80. He said it would take about 30 minutes. I am having it done on Saturday. I will post and let everyone know how it works out.
    -Marilyn-
    wow.. the local installer here wont budge off of $120 installed :(

what part of the US are you located in?
    i got a quote for $90. I think you should get a different quote from some1 else. :) I live in NY btw,
    only one installer locally :(
  • foxbat121foxbat121 Member Posts: 211
    Bring it in to check it out. Sounds like the 'up' contact switch is not working. I regularly use 2nd gear to move the car from stop.
  • tzarinatzarina Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone noticed the blind spot in the rear. Am consdiering purchasing a B9 Tribeca but am concerned about this was parking the car and passing or changing lanes. Dealers suggests a back-up camera (cost is $1,000!) but this would not fix the lane change issue. Any thoughts?
    I'm on L.I. New York The X-pel dealer is called The Tint Shop in Great Neck on Long Island.I paid in advance and it came to $87. w/tax. That is for the head lamps and fog lights.
    Paralell parking is a bit nerve racking but it get easier. A sonar rear sensor would do the job for about 200 installed.

Lane changing is not a problem if you how to properly adjust your side view mirrors. Those mirrors are fairly large and offer decent side views.
    I have not had a problem with a blind spot in the rear. I back into spaces with no problem, and the Tribeca is a big change from my '03 Forester and '89 Mustang Convertible. I do feel there is a blind spot in the front frame of the windshield at times. Like any new car it just take some time to adjust. Use those big side view mirrors. ( By the way I'm blind in my right eye, so talk about your blind spots!) Buy the Tribeca and enjoy! Good luck
    Marilyn
    blind spot is minimal and about avg for all SUVs of this size. others like the Pacifica are 2 x the size of blind spot.

Just TURN your head and do a head check and you should see any areas that are not in your mirrors.

I check the mirrors first then do a quick head check and never have any problems.
    thanks can you post pics?
    If they are done right, the only thing you will see is a line around the headlights. I am getting my done next weekend.
    :)
    CP Racing in Charlotte NC sent me a quote for $69.95 for headlight and foglight including installation. Hood Fender and Mirror Kit $239.95 Bumper kit 239.95- I'm getting it done as soon as I get me new fog light from the dealer installed.

AKA- Happy Thanksgiving!
    that's cheap. Are u sure it includes installation? $70 is the price of the material on their website. I know local vender have the material cheaper but $70......
    WOW. I would have them do the lights first and see how it goes and then do the hood and fender.
    I will be happy to post pictures. Let me know how I can attach to this site.
    Marilyn :)
    you need to have some place online like snap fish to post the pictures. then you can click IMG button and paste the link to view your picture at where you put to host it. then click IMG button again.
  • stony418stony418 Member Posts: 3
    I had the same problem and it turned out to be the fuel cap was not tight. Evidently as part of the emissions control system all 2006 Subaru's will turn on the Check engine light ,traction control light and the cruise light flashing is the normal indication when there is a fault in the emissions control system. Go figure. The fault is that there is not enough pressure in the gas tank. This is actually in the owners manual and on the gas cap. It will happen shortly after you fill up and neglect to tighten the cap with 3 clicks.
    Here is the link with photos of my headlights & foglights with x-pel protection. The installer did a pretty good job. I am satisified with how it looks. My main concern is protection. Sorry that the photos appear dark. It is cold & cloudy on Long Island N.Y.

imagehttp://www.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=32471106/a=37613858_37613858/t_=37613858
  • fljoslinfljoslin Member Posts: 237
    "looking" at a tire tells almost nothing about the pressure. You need to get and use a tire pressure gauge if you have any questions.
    mine was 3 lbs low and the light went on. the sensors need the tires rolling to turn on from battery save mode. so until you get rolling it wont send the signal to the car about the current pressure. looks like the dealer was right that its set to alarm when you are 3 lbs low on any tire.
    thanks for sharing :) interesting that they dont run the headlight film all the way to the edge of the transparent part of the headlights. they stop just short..
    I think in the long run it is better that the film does not go to the very edge. If I want it removed at a later date, I would be concerned about scratching the paint around the edge of the light during removal. The installer measured and cut the film by hand. The film does go to the very top & bottom of the light. Overall I feel the light is well protected.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Looks good. Did they shrink the material to get around the curvy surface of the headlight?

-juice
    Yes, he did shrink it around the curvy surface using heat.
    I am happy with the results. I also wanted to tint the driver and passenger windows to match the rear, but in NY it is not legal. Oh well.
    Marilyn
    Thanks aka1

My dealer (Mid-City Subaru in Chicago) 2 weeks ago refused to replace my cracked fog lights under warranty even though there was no stone damage any where on the front end.

I just came back from meeting with the SOA regional rep and he agreed that it appears there may be an issue with the cracked lens since there was no other stone damage.

He authorized the dealer to replace both assembles at no charge.

To the rest of you with the similar problem, don't give up the fight. If there is no other chipping around the fog lights demand to see the regional guy and you will probably succeed.
    Thats terrific! Fortunately my dealership understood that if there is no damage to the surrounding area, chances are that there's a defect rather than a lone stone hitting the foglight at just the right angle.

It's been a little over a week, the part still has yet to arrive, the parts dept. called to let me know that its still on order.

As soon as that's here, time to install protective film and prevent this from happening again.

AKA
    Same with me. My lens kits are sitting in my dining room to be installed as soon as the new units are in.
    I see the regional rep next Tuesday! already set up to see about the rattle/squeak they cant fix at the dealership. they said they can not find the issue but hear it. so I told them I wanted the rep to look at the fog light lens as well. The svc manager said they have not received any TSBs for the B9 yet for the fog lights.
  • renjordrenjord Member Posts: 5
    Mine is doing the exact same thing now. I have less than 6000 miles on it. How did you resolve it?
This discussion has been closed.