Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru B9 Tribeca: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• marilynwmarilynw Member Posts: 24
    For those of us that do not have the navigation system, I just purchased the Garmin Street Pilot C340. It is excellent. It is pre-loaded and ready to go out of the box. It has text to speech with street names.Got mine for under $540. It's a great little gaget! :)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I have the poor man's version, the C320. It was no pre-loaded and it can't read the street names, but otherwise it works the same. I've seen them on mail order for about $370.

Good, affordable option. We fight over ours, me and my wife. Time to buy a 2nd one!

-juice
  • pschreckpschreck Member Posts: 524
    gpsnow.com offers what appears to be good pricing on Garmin units.
    I'm impressed by their selection of accessories. They even sell replacement suction cup mounts/chargers.

I've found slightly lower prices but service was poor so I'd consider trying them out.

-juice
  • marilynwmarilynw Member Posts: 24
    Hey Juice,
    I bought mine at buydig.com. It came with the suction cup mount, which works great. It also has the adhesive disk in case you want a permanant mount. I love the touch screen. quick and easy. My final cost was $532.49 and free shiping.
    You can find some on ebay that are refirbushed a little cheaper.
    -Marilyn
    My concern with refurbished ones is that the maps would be older, more outdated. I've already found a few mistakes in mine, and it's current.

-juice
  • skernerskerner Member Posts: 18
    Well - I used the nav system on a 40 mile trip thru NJ last evening - to a town I was unfamiliar with - but on many roads that I do know - While the touch screen is good and the system is kind of intuitive, the results are completely awful - it took me off the main road at one point and brought me back on the same road after a mile. It took my wife off the parkway the other day into a parking lot that didn't connect with the main road. Just terrible. We'll be calling Subaru shortly to discuss. There are many stand alone systems that people rave about - but we wanted the convenience of built in system. Thanks for listening.
    Steve
    Thoughts on possible explanations...

Some roads are time-restricted, i.e. they are on-way in rush hour in the AM, and then the other way in the PM. Some GPS systems will avoid those because it's not sure if they are open or closed. That may have been why.

Perhaps the parking lot used to be connected, and the maps just need updating.

Subaru buys the maps, but I'm sure they'll forward your corrections to whoever owns them.

-juice
  • cluelesspacluelesspa Member Posts: 648
    I have to agree the GPS mapping software needs major improvement. It has many times (yes more then 3 or 4 times) when I even stopped first and waited for the system to plot the entire route first. then drove... it would route me on a stupid 3 mile loop only to come back to the same Road I left one mile later! so I actually went 2 miles MORE. using the FASTest setting.
    I don't use "Shortest" anymore. It will take you through a city because that route is shorter than taking the Beltway or bypass.
  • subienewbie2subienewbie2 Member Posts: 458
    Though the mapping is not perfect the fact that using the fastest option was a couple of miles longer is not a defect or error in and of itself.

Fastest means fastest NOT shortest. Being routed onto a super highway may be longer but it will also get you there faster.

Conversely, using shortest could actually take longer and use more gas.
    I wish that was the what happens but its not :(

It routes me OFF a larger road onto a small backroad for a 3 mile loop then back onto the same larger road 1 mile down :mad:

it is DEFINITELY not faster. they have either an error in their software OR an error in their map data reading the size of the roads. I am hoping its an error in the map data and the updated DVD will be improved.
    I've used this excuse for GPS systems before, but basically you learn how to use them over time and often ignore the commands (as you should) when you know a certain area.

They get you there, reliably, not necessarily the best route, but you arrive, and it removes the stress because you don't have to worry about how.

Even when I know a route, I like having the miles-to-next-turn feature so I can relax in between turns.

Also, use the map display to your advantage, you have context sensitive help right in front of your eyes. Looks for alternate paths, maybe even more fun twisty roads you did not know about!

Those are neither quickest nor fastest, but rather the BEST route to take. :D

-juice
    well I hear you on using common sense and that is why I zoom out a few steps so I catch those stupid side road detours by the Mapping system. HOWEVER, this is my Third in Car GPS system and the Worst at routing. I know people want to defend their purchase, I dont care either way that I spent the money on the GPS system (it is sunk cost).

Would I buy the option again if I had to do it over again? I would say Definitely NO. It is a poor unit and no where near the speed at recalculation nor the processing power to pick the BEST route in simple conditions.

Like I said, I am hoping its a mapping problem in the map database that will get corrected with the next DVD Map update for the Tribeca and I hope its soon they release it!
    I'm not trying to defend my purchase; I did not make the purchase! :P

Mine was a loaner, which we had for about 5 days overall.

The one we own is a Garmin StreetPilot c320. It actually routes pretty well and recalculates on the fly quickly. The software is better, but since it's not integrated it gets lost in tunnels, plus the screen is smallish (3.5").

I do have an occasional issue with the route it takes, but that's only once in a while, and it might only cost me a few extra seconds.

-juice
  • ttribecattribeca Member Posts: 12
    Love my new Tribeca Limited..very satisfied. Except for one thing:

What were they thinking with the cargo cover? Does anybody have a workaround solution other than the old blanket I'm using?

Is there another manufactures cover (toyota) that might be able to fit this?

Thanks! Great board.
  • cacmancacman Member Posts: 40
    I have a stupid question - If we get the updated disk, will that also change some software problems? For example, might I be able to have the outside temp appear on the map screen? Or does an update only update streets and POI, and do nothing to the "head-end". Also, any guess as to cost of an update? Any chance of getting it free? Thanks - By the way - love the BECA
    I'll take a guess of $150 to $175. But it is just a guess.
    A updated Mapping disc would not contain feature software. It would contain new maps and updated POI files.

How the system features are changed is with a OS disc. That is how they would put temp on the screen or improve the way POI data is presented (which with the B9 really sucks)

My previous car was a Q45 - the nav sys in that car had more bugs than a house with termites. Infiniti finally issued a free system upgrade but the mapping was on a seperate disc and that was not free.
    If Infiniti was able to upgrade, there is hope, then. ;)

-juice
    I wouldn't hold my breath. As I said the Q's system was riddled with bugs. You could turn the car on (I live in Chicago) and the map would show that I was in Long Beach California. At other times I could be driving down town and the map would think we were in the middle of Lake Michigan.

The system was trash they had no option but to fix it for free.
    it sounded like you were defending the Subaru GPS system. but you only had 5 days experience with it. I guess it would help if you say your commenting about GPS systems in general or about Garmin GPS systems. as its a bit misleading to talk about the B9 system with only 5 days using it.

I have had 3 built in systems (1 acura, 1 chrysler pac, and this one) so based on the other two BUILT in systems, this must be Kenwoods bottom line model...

Oh and yes they can update the software with the map DVD. the alpine system in my previous chrsler added the option to be able to enter points while moving up to 10 mph. the car originally did not allow you to enter points at all when the car was moving even 1 mph. the DVD also had updated maps and POIs.
    Yeah, I was speaking in more general terms. You do sort of learn how to use GPS systems, and get better at taking advantage of them.

My main point, though, was that you sort of learn to compensate for their weaknesses as well.

In your case, you've become a pro at identifying what those weaknesses are. :P

:D

-juice
    Juice, I know you were good intentioned :) but what I was trying to say is that you were misleading readers who come to this B9 forum looking for information on GPS of the Tribeca. It does things that are just plain stupid :confuse: when plotting out a route. I am sure there is a general GPS forum for comments about all GPS systems in general.

I love :shades: GPS systems. just not the B9 Tribeca. I am actually waiting for the Garmin Nuvi's latest model to be released next month with Bluetooth handsfree and cordless for when I travel on business. just smack it the windshield and drive! plus it acts as a handsfree phone for your cell and shows the phone number of incoming calls!

I wish that the Tribeca had something like that... The Acura RL and TL does and I think the higher end Toyotas (Avalon?)...
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I am sure there is a general GPS forum for comments about all GPS systems in general.

Indeed there is. You can find it here: Navigation / GPS Systems

tidester, host
  • filionfilion Member Posts: 7
    Has anybody bought one of these discounted new B9 Tribecas that was caught in a windstorm at the plant in Indiana. the one I'm looking at is a 7 pass with DVD with 11 miles on it and they call it used. $28,500 is this to good to be true the salesman says it perfect and can't see any damage.
    I am doing the deal by phone and can not see the B9 in person and will be exporting it to Montreal were I live. The savings are huge in Canada same vehicle is $54,000cdn tx in. any comments appreciated
    thanks
    Dan
    The deals are real and yes it is a great price.

For that kind of savings I would jump on a plane and go inspect it and drive it home.

We have heard from others who bought one and I am not aware of any reports of buyer remorse.
  • rager1rager1 Member Posts: 4
    Salut Filion, il me semble que c'est une aubaine, ce que je te suggère c'est de le faire inspecter chez un concessionnaire sur place là-bas et de te faire faxer un compte rendu de l'inspection complète du véhicule ça t'éviterait un voyage en Indiana. De plus, tu devras possiblement payer des taxes lors de l'importation est-ce que ça en vaut encore la peine? Vérifie si tu es éligible à une garantie prolongé transférable vers le Québec même si le véhicule est considéré usagé. Salutations un gars de Québec.
  • xmslouxmslou Member Posts: 4
    i just bought one of those (a blue 5 pass ltd, for 27,300ish) from bill kolb subaru in ny 2 wks ago and i love it. there is nothing wrong with mine. subaru wont warr. the paint but the dealer did.(ask for tony jarra). i did have to buy 2 remotes at $90 each though. still i think it was a great deal...
    good luck
    Heck, I'd just use Subaru Bucks.

That deal sounds great, wish I were in the market....

-juice
  • dar517dar517 Member Posts: 1
    Subaru has ordered a new type of weather stripping for my car. The part is on back order. The dealership has taken the door apart 4 times and still continue to have the problem. I'll let you know what happens...
  • b9bingob9bingo Member Posts: 46
    Subaru has installed the new replacement weather stripping on my B9 and the rattle has not changed. Let me know if the weather stripping solves your rattle. I'll be taking my subaru in late june for a third atempt to fix the rear hatch rattle.
  • vger105vger105 Member Posts: 57
    We had a wicked rattle coming from the rear hatch on a minivan we used to have. The dealer, after several tries, could not eliminate it. Finally, my wife did. It wasn't the hatch that was rattling, it was the rear license plate!
    She tightened the screws and the rattle was gone.
    You might want to try that.
    It is worth checking the plate but since there are 4 nylock anchors for the rear plate I doubt it is that.

For some time I thought I had a severe rattle somewhere in the back of my B9 Ltd and it turned out that if you keep the center row seat backs sharply reclined - there is a loud rattle or more accurately a clunking sound, when going over bumps.
    My sister's Forester had that. The rear plate had only 2 screws attached, and they weren't even tight.

-juice
  • newtosubienewtosubie Member Posts: 39
    Has anyone had the experience of replacing their front windshield yet? Got hit by a big rock this morning, cracked it good. 3 months new and I already have to get a new windshield. I'm concerned with getting an equal replacement to the original, along with a good seal. I called the dealer to get their recommendation on a glass shop, any tips or hints I should be aware of would be helpful. Thanks in advance!
    If you have the all-weather package, make sure the replacement has the wiper de-icers. I'd go OE if that's the case.

-juice
    does anyone know where the flasher is located?
    thanx...
    Thanks for the speedy reply Juice. I'm going with the Subie recommended glass dude, full OEM job, trim and all, guarantees I won't notice a difference. Price is in the $400-$450 range. :surprise: Needless to say, I added a glass deductible to my insurance policy today to be ready for the next one. :cry:
    If you mean hazard lights, it's the button with the red triangle on it, top of center console, in front of the center vent (below nav/info screen).
    no i mean the actual flasher...it's a plug in module type thing that is usually by the fuses in the engine bay...
    Not cheap, but that is an enormous windshield plus there's the heating element.

-juice
    ???

What does it flash?

:confuse:
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    Most new cars don't use flashers (as in old capacitor based ones). The flashing of the turn signals is controlled by a circuit board.
    ohhh....i guess thats why i couldnt find it...lol
    thanx
  • somuchfunsomuchfun Member Posts: 5
    HI -- Have had new Tribeca 1 week -- one of the "Indiana Windstorm" vehicles, so it was a bit less cost. Dealership called this morning to say that they forgot to have us sign off on the paint warranty. They said that the form stuck to the back of another sheet at the time we signed our papers. Problem is -- we were never told that the paint was not warranteed -- and, in fact, had asked several times before we purchased if the warranty was exactly the same as any other new car. And asssured that it was.

We would have not bought this car had we known the paint was not warranteed. The dealer said he would Simoniz the car instead.

How big - or little - a deal is this ? Thanks ---
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    >Problem is -- we were never told that the paint was not warranteed -- and, in fact, had asked several times before we purchased if the warranty was exactly the same as any other new car. And asssured that it was

If they said it was warranteed, the next question is by whom? It may not be a factory warranty and if they implied it was a factory one or it does not have an equivalent warranty then I would refuse to sign it. Its one thing to buy it knowing there is no warranty, and to be honest, if the deal was that good I would probably go for it even in that situation. Subaru paint problems are rare though.
  • somuchfunsomuchfun Member Posts: 5
    HI -- They said the original factory warranties, the same as on all new Subarus -- The Buyers Guide on the window of the car also listed the original factory warranty w no exclusions -- this is our first Subaru. Thanks.
  • doubled1txdoubled1tx Member Posts: 2
    can anyone tell me about the incentives for the tribeca for the month of june. for lease or purchase.

thank

doubled
  • snowbeltersnowbelter Member Posts: 288
    Incentives vary depending upon where you live. Go to Subaru.com. Click on Financial and Shopping tools, then look for "Special Offers" click on it an enter your zip code.
This discussion has been closed.