Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Celica GT performance help needed.

tommyboy2929tommyboy2929 Member Posts: 1
edited April 2014 in Toyota
i just got a 03 celica gt and im lookin to do some more work to it.it already has a full AEM cold air intake, DC sport headers, and Magnaflow exaust but thats not enough.what can i do to get some more HP out of it?

Comments

• 01gt01gt Member Posts: 4
    apparentley you are already addicted to the mods :) . but hey, thats what cars are for, right? for bolt on performance, you pretty much have the easiest, cheapest bolt ons that you can "do it yourself". you can add underdrive pulleys to your system, you can probably find a set through HKS or Unorthodox. since you already have most of the bolt on power that you can get cheaply, besides turbo- which is a possibility, you can consider putting that power to the ground quicker and more reliably. short throw shifter, and coilovers. now many companys make numerous applications, so do price checking first. just keep in mind that you usually ger what you pay for. as for the short throw shifter, go with B&M. good luck.
  • fisher1958fisher1958 Member Posts: 1
    my fuel injection quit working. it is getting voltage but is not getting the pulse signal. i have put a new distributerin it. i put my ecm in a car like it and it worked. are there any existing problems that these systems might have had
  • empiredjempiredj Member Posts: 21
    Not to my knowledge but then again Im not a Toyota follower really.

Join www.alldata.com and join their DIY site. That will give you access to any recalls or TSB's that were released for the car.

I also thought this was a modification forum, not a problem solving one?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well sounds like he has a "chip" in there, so he did mod it.
  • deedlitdeedlit Member Posts: 1
    I'm haveing real trouble finding some one with an older celica mine is 1979 and I've been working on this car since august last year. I was just about to leave the drive way when the car dies and won't start. So I trouble shoot with fuel filter then put an electric pump on the upper section of the fuel line and found that the fuel pump that is on the car is out well I have tons of books on other cars. But up till now I haven't needed one does anyone have a clue where the fuel pump is on my car. if you don't maybe you know someone who does. Please help!! :cry:
    The pump is in the fuel tank on a '79 Celica.

REPLACEMENT

Disconnect the negative battery cable.

Remove the trim panel from inside the trunk.

Remove the screws which secure the pump access plate to the fuel tank.

Withdraw the plate, gasket and pump assembly as one unit.

Disconnect all leads and hoses from the fuel pump.

Installation is in the reverse order of removal.

Always use a new gasket when installing the fuel pump.

Start the engine and check for any leaks.

TESTING

1975-79 Celica

Fig. 2: Connect a pressure gauge to the fuel filter outlet with a length of rubber hose

WARNING

Do not operate the fuel pump unless it is immersed in gasoline and connected to its resistor.

Disconnect the lead from the oil pressure warning light sender.

Unfasten the line from the outlet side of the fuel filter.

Connect a pressure gauge to the filter outlet with a length of rubber hose.

Turn the ignition switch to the ON position, but do not start the engine.

Check the pressure gauge reading against the figure given in the "Tune-Up Specifications" chart in Engine Performance and Tune-up . (2.2 to 4.3 psi)

Check for a clogged filter or pinched lines if the pressure is not up to specification.

If there is nothing wrong with the filter or lines, replace the fuel pump.

Turn the ignition OFF and reconnect the fuel line to the filter. Also connect the lead to the oil pressure sender.
  • toyboy7toyboy7 Member Posts: 4
    I want to know were to start to get performance out of this car of mine. I have a magnaflow exhaust and 17 inch weels on it and thats it for now. It looks great but i have a lack of power. I taugh about nitro but im not hot on this. What can i do. :confuse:
  • de2v6ilde2v6il Member Posts: 1
    I need help on where to start on modifying my 1995 celica. Such as what type of brands to get and parts for engine modifications.
  • toyboy7toyboy7 Member Posts: 4
    I have tought puting a v6 man trans of the same year toyota camry. Is this possible. :confuse:
  • celica1990kbcelica1990kb Member Posts: 1
    I am having troubles with my 1990 Celica GTS starting and hoping you can provide me with some info. The car has a new alternator and the battery is fine. I need to boost it about every morning and then it is fine for the day, although it does not run as smooth since the starting problem. Could something be draining the battery?
  • celica01celica01 Member Posts: 1
    i have a automatic toyota celica gt 2001. and i dont like the performance of this car i would to change the transmision to a manual but i dont know if i can or how expence it would be? i would like to get information about it please help me!!!!!!!
  • sno_boarder27sno_boarder27 Member Posts: 1
    Any suggestions on adding power to a 00 Celica GT?
  • bigkbigk Member Posts: 2
    Im looking for a celica to fix up.
  • bigkbigk Member Posts: 2
    Forgot ([email protected]) Im fixing up a 85 but would like something older. We raced celicas for years. Wish I had those that I wrecked ones back.
  • celicagtcelicagt Member Posts: 2
    i have an 81 celica gt w/k&n air filter,pace setter headers,and soon to have flowmaster exhaust system,but luckily for your style they have the speed chips (sold on ebay no more than 20.00 USD) put a hood scoop on to suck more air through,port and polish,search the net too many ideas out there check out cardomain.com hope i was a little help to ya :)
  • celicagtcelicagt Member Posts: 2
    what year celica are you looking for?
  • masters2kmasters2k Member Posts: 2
    When I redline my Celica GT-S and shifting from first to second gears fast, the shifters get stuck. If I slowly shift it into second gears, it won't get stuck. Can anyone help me solve this problem?
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Sounds like your synchros are bad.

-mike
  • masters2kmasters2k Member Posts: 2
    Thats is what I was thinking too. My friend said he have the same problem with the car too before he sold his Celica GT-S. Is there like any TSB or a recall for that problems?
    Nah it's a common problem on manual transmission cars. Often it's a result of the driver resting their hand on the shifter during non-shifting activities. This prematurely wears out the synchros, also inproper gear oil can cause them to wear out.

-mike
    It's a normal wear and tear item on older cars. Sooner or later all manual transmission cars will get crunchy on shifts.

Aside from the "resting on gearshift" bad habit, another bad habit is downshifting at too high a speed, boy-racer style.
    Yup your brakes have a lot more braking power than your engine and clutch! :)

-mike
  • havinguhhavinguh Member Posts: 1
    I just got done modifying the same exact type of car this past weekend, and it really purrs and cruises now. I got all my parts off ebay, and all for under $100. I installed an electric centrifugal supercharger ($40 + s/h), a K & N high flow air filter ($7.99 + s/h), and a Floblade which fits right into the intake right before the throttle body to create a vortex causing the air to flow into the cylinders better and allows for a more thorough combustion of fuel and is supposed to be a gas saver. That was $10 + s/h. To install the supercharger, you'd also need to pick up various items such as about 10 feet of 12 gauge wire, some butt cable connectors and a few random odds and ends from the hardware store. It takes a couple hours to install everything mentioned if you know where the relevant parts of your engine are and if you have the right basic tools. Some great performance for not a lot of money! I'm now thinking about putting a performance exhaust on, but I'd leave that installation to the professionals.
  • ramonoramono Member Posts: 1
    i need help. i modified my 20r with daul sidedraft webbers 45. and headers with custom exhaust. promblem is the headers are red hot on the two to the right and the left side of the headers are normal . what would cause this promblem ty
  • natescelicanatescelica Member Posts: 3
    hey I have a 91 gt and i have done pretty much all I can to it to make it faster and better performance, such as suspension, coilovers and such, but after all that my car wont go obove 117 due to the speed sensor or governor. How do I get past that?
  • natescelicanatescelica Member Posts: 3
    the same thing happens to me when i shift at high rpms in my gt. but im still trying to figure out how to be able to bypass the governor/ speed sensor. does anyone know?
  • celica4ucelica4u Member Posts: 1
    I have an 87 celica gt convertible, black with alloy wheels,, has a few issues but runs like a champ when it wants to...I have put a lot of parts on it including new maf ,, it might be the ecu,, I just cant spend any more on it.. its in minnesota.
This discussion has been closed.