Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Diesel version

macarthur2macarthur2 Member Posts: 135
edited March 2014 in Honda
This vehicle is not available in the U.S. but it is one that would really add to the CR-V's popularity. This is a road test of a Honda CR-V with a 2.2 liter diesel engine and a six speed manual transmission currently sold in England.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/?id=164

Do you think Honda could be encouraged to bring it to the USA?

Comments

• blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    It would definatley be nice. There is a discussion on "the other board." People who have it are very happy with the 40 some mpg's they are getting. The 200 some ft. lbs of torque would eliminate any qubbles as far as "Escape can tow, CR-V can not."

Problem is not with Honda. Problem is with the US fuel quality. The CDTi can not run on US spec Diesel. Even though CDTi is the cleanest burning diesel ever, the high sulphur and particulate content in the US diesel makes it useless. CARB states which includes NY state stopped sales of Jetta TDI, Liberty CDi, Mercedes Diesel... because they do not comply with car emissions. It won't be until 2006-2007 that passenger Diesels may come back for sale in those states. Trust me, I tried. The only way I can have a passenger diesel vehicle in NY state is if I buy it in another state register it there for 6 months, put 12,000 miles on it, and then I can legally bring it in NY state, OR buy used.

Also, there is only a handful of SUV drivers who know or willing to drive stick. I know I had the hardest time finding a CR-V with manual. If Honda brings CDTi here, it will probably see duty in the "bread and butter" Accord before trickling down to CR-V. It is possible that we will see a Diesel CR-V in Gen 3 mid model make over in 2010.

The reason diesel are more popular in Europe is because diesel is taxed less than gasoline. In the US diesel is just as expensive if not more expensive than gasoline. When we go to low sulphur, low particulate diesel the price will rise as well. Not sure if having to pay $0.50 more per gallon would justify 10 more or so mpg's. But the beauty of diesel is that it can run on used frying oil, vegetable oil, biodiesel. All of which are not crude derived, are from renewable sources, and will eliminate our dependance on foreign oil. Also, it will boost OUR own farmer's revenues, making them the new "oil scheicks." Imagine Billy Bob the millionare :-)
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Honda only has so many diesel engines to go around. They will get top dollar (or euro) for the ones they sell overseas. Meanwhile, they'll have a hard time selling those units here in the states. Sure, some people will buy them. But the market is much more lucrative in other parts of the world.

We won't see diesels until they've met demand elsewhere. Honda's plans to build extra capacity are underway, but don't hold your breath.
  • macarthur2macarthur2 Member Posts: 135
    Americans also would have a tough time accepting the diesel with a manual transmission. In general most don't want to row through the gears. But Honda now has a 5 speed auto in the gasoline version of the CR-V maybe it could be made to work with a few ratio changes. 6 and 7 speed automatic transmissions are showing up in other vehicles so maybe they could work on the diesel.
    When comparing fuel mileage with England remember that their gallon is 5 liters instead of our 4. So real world US mileage would be more like 34 or so. Still not bad.
    One of the things we could do to drop the cost of all fuels is to nationalize the fuel standards instead of letting each state make it's own rules for different seasons of the year. That really drives up cost. Europeans are pretty much standardized. With all the new and better emmission controls the need for each state to have separate requirements is ridiculous.
    Hope to see this little rig one day.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Americans also would have a tough time accepting the diesel with a manual transmission. In general most don't want to row through the gears. But Honda now has a 5 speed auto in the gasoline version of the CR-V maybe it could be made to work with a few ratio changes. 6 and 7 speed automatic transmissions are showing up in other vehicles so maybe they could work on the diesel.

The problem is the torque produced by Diesel engines. It is the same amount of torque as the 3.5 liter V6 in the MDX, Pilot, Oddysey and Acorrd. We all know that Honda has had numerous problems with V6's and 5 spd Autos. Honda makes the best manuals, they are not good at making automatics.
    If Honda offered CR-V diesel with 6 spd manual as an alternative to current EX manual as the only manual choice, they would sell the same 3% of the vehicles. Yes, it will cost Honda money to certify new engine and tranny, but once certified, it can be placed in Accords, Oddyseys, and Pilots. People just have to get over the fact that manual trannys are still better than auto, no matter how sophisticated auto is. And if they don't want to row, they don't get to drive exciting techology. How many lazy people have been kept out driving Civic Si? You have to put an effort to drive exciting vehicles, rather than being a mindless drone like millions of other "point and shoot" drivers on the road.
  • dieselbdieselb Member Posts: 1
    What about this report? From:
    http://www.carpages.co.uk/honda/honda_diesel_sets_new_world_records_12_05_04.asp?switched=- on&echo=921141253
    Honda’s new Accord 2.2 i-CTDi Sport has this week set no fewer than 19 world speed records and achieved 3.07 litres / 100 km (92 mpg) fuel economy to boot. British racing driver Robin Liddell and freelance journalist Iain Robertson were part of the European record-setting team.
    Amongst the speed records set, which were all achieved in Production Car Class B (2000 – 2500 cc), were 133.04 mph (1 mile flying start), 84.25 mph (1 mile standing start) and an average speed of 130.38 mph over a 24-hour endurance period. These records were all set at Papenburg high-speed oval test track in north-west Germany on 1 and 2 May, and are all subject to FIA ratification.
    Two production cars, randomly selected by FIA officials, were used to undertake the speed records, and apart from the fitting of roll-cages, racing harnesses and radio equipment for track-to-pits communication, no other modifications were made to the cars.
    Following the speed record attempts, the same two cars were then driven 419 miles from Papenburg test track to Wiesbaden, near Frankfurt in order to complete the fuel economy run. The route comprised of a mixture of motorway and non-motorway driving, during which one of the Accords achieved a staggering 92 mpg average.
    The project, whose aim was to demonstrate the performance and economy of the Accord i-CTDi, was a joint production between Honda, the FIA and Italian-based JAS Motorsport, who managed fuelling and pit-stops.
    Honda UK’s driver in the speed record attempt, Robin Liddell, who has previously raced at Le Mans 24-hours, as well as the American Le Mans Series and the BRDC British GT championship, commented: "The car’s performance is very impressive, demonstrated by the records we’ve achieved. Honda has made real steps forward in styling, ergonomics and interior design with the new Accord Diesel and now has a package that can take on the best cars in its class."
    The Accord i-CTDi went on sale in the UK in February (4dr) and March (5dr) respectively, and to date, 1,500 units have been sold. The record breaking car will be displayed on the Honda stand (Hall 5, Stand 250) at this year's Sunday Times Motor Show Live at Birmingham NEC.

Car Model Accord 2.2 i-CTDi Executive
    Body Type 4-Door Saloon
    Performance [ Manufacturers Figures ]
    0 - 62 mph, 9.5 Seconds ; Top Speed, 131 mph
    Transmission 5-Speed Manual
    Fuel Type, Diesel
    Economy [ Manufacturers Figures ]
    Urban, 39.8 mpg
    Extra Urban, 62.8 mpg
    Combined, 52.3 mpg

Courtesy of DieselB
  • toodoittoodoit Member Posts: 2
    The CR-V diesel seems attractive to me. What are the possibilities of importing this vehicle into the US? Is there a place online I can find Federal and/or State regulations about importing it? Can it be imported and modified to meet standards by a "qualified" agent? Can just the engine be imported? I live in a state with no emissions standards. Does that matter at all? I would be burning biodiesel. Is this a problem with this vehicle?

Thanks for any help you can give.
  • biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    Can't do it. An unmodified car will not pass the emissions tests with the available diesel. I already asked about another vehicle and emission testing alone STARTS at $30K per test. That's why car makers limit the number of drivetrain configurations available to only the most popular choices - the costs of compliance are high.

Dont't worry - just wait - 6/1/06 is the availability date of low sulphur diesel and soon thereafter there'll be announcements from a number of makers about diesel vehicles. I wouldn't be surprised to see the new Accord in MY 08 offer the diesel with the CR-V offering it around the same time.
  • toodoittoodoit Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply. It's not the answer I wanted, but is the answer I expected. But I'm just curious: what is involved in an emissions test (I'm assuming it's emissions) that would run $30K?
  • vcarrerasvcarreras Member Posts: 247
    working on it. Hopefully in not too distant future 2-4 years?

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=107691

This is what we've needed all along. :)
  • gpkgpk Member Posts: 38
    I would love to get a CRV with diesel. Otherwise I will have to look at the Ford Escape Hybrid for my next vehicle. A 6 sd AT would help as well..
This discussion has been closed.