Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Equus

SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
Unless you've visited Korea lately, you've probably never heard of the Hyundai Equus. It's Hyundai's largest, most luxurious sedan, but since its debut in 1999 it's been a domestic market sedan only. That may change in the coming years as the 2008 Hyundai Equus is being designed with U.S. sales in mind.

Spy Hyundai Equus

Comments

• nornenorne Member Posts: 136
    Isn't the Azera suppose to compete with the new avalon?

Isn't Hyundai designing the eqqus with hopes of launching a separate luxury line like toyo-lexus?
  • truethattruethat Member Posts: 123
    yes and yes...
    Obviously, Edmund's got those facts wrong although it is 50/50 chance that
    Hyundai will actually launch a separate "Equus" brand (or whatever the name).
    I even heard that the so-called 08 Equus is actually a "Dynasty" replacement
    and that even bigger car will come out to replace Equus (which i disagree since
    the interior shot shows Equus logo).

If you've never heard of Equus, it is highly likely you've never heard of Dynasty
    either. It was a sub-segment between Grandeur(Azera) and Equus, discontinued
    around the launch of the new Grandeur.
    Here are pictures for both Dynasty and '05 Equus.

'04 Dynasty
    '05 Equus
  • jason25jason25 Member Posts: 8
    The 2008 Hyundai Equus seems to be a great-looking vehicle, especially the interior. If the Equus does come to the US, I'm almost certain that it will have top-of-the-line options like navigation, heated/cooled seats, rear parking sensors, reclining rear seats, a keyless engine start system, and a host of other features. After all, in Korea they already have most of these options and you can get them on a lot of their models. NAV is even available on the Elantra (Avante). And the Granduer (Korean version of the upcoming Azera) has all of these features, so I wouldn't be surprised to see if the Equus has even more. By the way, the interior of this ride is amazing (at least from the pics). I wonder if that wood trim is real? If not, its pretty convincing. ;)
  • flatibbyflatibby Member Posts: 28
    It's been a year and 5 months since the last posting about this car. Any new update lately?? I'm itching for this car to hit our shores :P
  • bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    Nothing much. The car seems to be in the boring "dot the i's and cross the t's" stage of development, though there are rumors of a larger and/or long-wheelbase variant in the works.
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    1) Actually, there have been quite a few spy shots, especially as of late:

http://www.carspyshots.net/zerothread?id=16038

From all the way in the beginning when the first shots were snapped in S. Korea.

2) The name will not be Equus

3) The Dynasty and Equus offered in S. Korea both are FWD, and this (dubbed "BH") will be RWD.

4) The BH will slot above the Azera

4) Rumor has it, at the New York Auto Show, Hyundai is to reveal a close to production concept of the "BH", production model should follow soonafter - stay tuned...
    Thanks for the link... After seeing those pictures on the site I am extremely please with the outcome of the vehicle design and size.
    imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com

On the last pict above, you'll notice on the left is the BH Vehicle. Notice the size of the Azera in the middle and the BMW 7 Series to the right. The BH car is just as big as the Bimmer!! I can't wait for this car to make it here already! Anyways, I recently purchased 2007 Sonata. Very happy with the car's performance, design and built quality. I'll be trading it in for the BH car 1 year after it's release. Why 1 year after? Well, I always think the 1 year car is like a reasearch year for the auto manufacturer to work out it's kink. Then the 2 year of it's production most of the stuff are usually fixed or redesigned and the vehicle becomes more reliable.
  • aneeshaneesh Member Posts: 43
    The side profile looks like LS460........but still a nice looking car....the taillamps look like the rear of Lincoln's MKS concept sedan
    Looks almost like an oversized Infinity G35 if you compare it on the side door window profile.
  • docrwdocrw Member Posts: 94
    I really like the look of the Equus, I just hope they don't skimp on the options when they bring it over here. However, I'm pretty sure that is not a 7-series BMW, it looks much more like a 5-series. The 7's have a much more pronounced back end and much larger, relatively speaking, rear window. Plus, the Azera is only slightly bigger than a 5-series which seems to be the case here as well.
    It's actually a 740i... the short wheelbase version of the 7 series shown in the picture.

One clarification... It's not going to be named Equus! This is technically a concept car by Hyundai called Genesis which is a replacement vehicle for Hyundai Dynasty. What you see is pretty much the production version of the car except for the Headlight which will be more subtle looking, and the concept car's 20 inch wheels will be replace by 18 inch during production. We here in the US will be seeing these cars for sale at our shores at the latter half of 2008.
    Excerp from a reports: (We have yet to get a look at the Concept Genesis interior, but we do know it will offer the requisite load of technology and upscale amenities, including push-button start, an electric parking brake, adaptive cruise control, DVD navigation with a backup camera, Bluetooth, separate USB and MP3 player input jacks, and a surround-sound Infinity audio system. Stability control and eight airbags are among the standard fare, and HID headlights will also be available.)
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    Looks great...I am ready to make a deposit :)

One correction to the thread title - this is the Dynasty replacement, codenamed BH, not Equus, which is codenamed VI.

Press Release and Hi-Res Photos:

http://www.prnewswire.com/mnr/hyundai/27501
  • ne1butune1butu Member Posts: 6
    I liked this concept the first time I saw it over three years ago. That concept was called the Zephyr.
  • conceptvbsconceptvbs Member Posts: 9
    The V8 is called 4.6 TAU V8. The Lambda is the V6 engine.
  • info3info3 Member Posts: 2
    This car looks like a full size Daewoo Leganza. There seems to be a confusion. This car should have a bigger engine compare to the Hyundai Genesis. If this is Hyundai flagship sedan it should be faster than anything they have. The interior looks cheap especially the instrument panel, dashboard. It looks like it came straight from Daewoo Leganza instead of brushed aluminum they used cheap imitation wood instead. Of course, is slower than the competition. This company still lags behind the competition in terms of transmission programming. You better off buying Lexus, Mercedes, BMW certified pre-owned cars. Plus, the competition have a better resale values.
  • cadillacforumscadillacforums Member Posts: 3
    I REALLY like the Equus. It's definitely going on my list of vehicles to replace my current car. However, I'm very concerned about Hyundai service. I recently bought my wife a 2010 Lexus RX350 after being dead set on a Hyundai Veracruz. We were both VERY surprised by the Veracruz and figured we'd give Hyundai a try. Unfortunately, the sales experience was so bad that we didn't even want to KNOW about the service experience.

If Hyundai doesn't do something like either create a Sub-Brand to sell their luxury cars, than I'm not too sure I'd be able to go through with a purchase. They don't specifically need "Genesis" (for example) dealerships right now.. That can come later.. Or, they can just do what Ford has done with Lincoln/Mercury and create Hyundai/Genesis to sell the Equus under - and only allow the highest/top rated Hyundai dealerships to sell and service these cars...

Sal Collaziano
    Genesis Owners Club
  • charlesbcharlesb Member Posts: 43
    I suspect that Hyundai is going to run into the same problems that VW did with the Phaeton, namely, perception problems compounded by the reality of customers dealing with a dealer network unable to deliver a "luxury" buying experience. When you price upmarket from the current Genesis you've moved into the rarefied air of "true luxury" where I'll posit that even the bargain hunters are pridefully polishing the badges regularly.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    ... This car should have a bigger engine compare to the Hyundai Genesis. ...

Why? The S550 and E550 have the same engine. The 750i and 550i have the same engine. The A8 and A6 4.2 have the same engine. Why shouldn't the Equus and Genesis follow suit? :confuse:
  • allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    it has been mentioned that the Equus will feature two V-8's...the current 4.6 that's found in the Genesis and a 5.0 that will be in the top of the line Equus. Not sure how true it will actually be...only time will tell.
  • stushstush Member Posts: 62
    Has anybody heard if Hyundai is considering an all wheel drive model of the Equus?
    There was a mentioning of Hyundai creating an AWD system, but no word as to whether or not it would actually happen and which vehicles would benefit from it. With a hybrid Sonata on the horizon, I'm wondering if they'll push that technology into the Azera, Genesis and eventually Equus.
  • kenb757kenb757 Member Posts: 149
    Good test drive report. I still don't know how they got it up to 140 on I-10 in Santa Monica. Must have been late at night. Should have taken it north on the 405 between the Ventura Freeway and Nordhoff Street. The expansion joints on that section will get your teeth chattering, but it's a good test for a suspension. Even my last rental 09 DTS couldn't smooth that section out. A Town Car might have done a little better.

Sat in the Equus at a local dealer in TX today. Also took some photos. Very impressed if the car's base will be about $48k. Car had air suspension, all the back seat items, and the 4.6 V-8 (I guess it's the same engine as in the Genesis). I'll be tempted if Hyundai does some sponsored leases. Someone said it will be on sale in the U.S. in January, but I think that's too optimistic. No brochures at the dealer, but a Korean version in pdf is here (click on "gallery" then "download"):

http://equus.hyundai.com/
  • j2jj2j Member Posts: 147
    Uhh, the Leganza was designed by Italdesign-Giugiaro, the same design firm that designed the original Lexus GS.

And as for resale values, KBB predicts the 3 yr residual value for the 2009 Genesis sedan to be slightly better than the 2009 GS and significantly better than the Infiniti M.
  • j2jj2j Member Posts: 147
    Hyundai doesn't intend the Equus to be a volume seller within its segment, but rather a halo model.

And the problem w/ the Phaeton wasn't so much the dealer network, but its overbloated price (starting in the mid-$60k range and going over $100k).

Why buy a Phaeton when one can have an A8 for a few thousand more?
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    ... I still don't know how they got it up to 140 on I-10 in Santa Monica. Must have been late at night. ...

Read a little closer. The speedometer is metered in kilometers, not miles. ;) He was only doing ~85MPH. Still fast for a busy street, mind you, but not unachievable; even in traffic.
    You're right...read a liittle closer and you'll see that he took it up to 160 km/h which is about 100 mph. Really, it's neither here nor there as a car with that kind of power would very easily hit those speeds with ease. If my Azera with 263 hp can get up there as quickly as it does...I would expect the 4.6 V-8 with 368/375 hp (depending on fuel) to do it much easier and with the better suspension, under much more control as well.

Maybe Hyundai will look at using some of the Equus suspension components on the Genesis as they do for the Korean spec model.
    You're right. About 100 mph.

As for the Genesis suspension, all Hyundai need do is import the car with the Korean spec adjustable air suspension system. Those that want to float down the freeway can do it and those that prefer the Space Mountain ride setting can bounce off the ceiling until their brains' swell.
    A Genesis with the adjustable air suspension would increase the validity of the car and give the naysayers almost nothing to complain about since it seems that's really what the issue is with the car. Then they will move on to the lack of cooled passenger seat and no cover under the rear deck.

Enough of that...I think I will pass on the Genesis and wait on the Equus. It looks to be the type of car you wouldn't need to upgrade and could hold on to for quite a while. Very, very nice indeed. Personally...seeing how Hyundai has done in terms of stepping up from the Azera to the Genesis and now to the Equus, I certainly have no qualms and would make the jump with no hesitation. However, I'll probably be waiting for a year-old Equus to take a bite out of some of that price. ;)
  • grutzagrutza Member Posts: 52
    I was recently at my dealer and they had one in the showroom. I was there early for a service appointment so I didn't get to speak to anyone about it.

If you're in the NOVA/DC/MD Alexandria Hyundai has one.
    Hey Grutza...that's my dealership too. Thanks for the head's up...I'll be swingin by there to check it out as the Equus is targeted as my next car when I give my Azera to my daugther for her first car.
  • grutzagrutza Member Posts: 52
    You'll have to share your impressions with us here.
  • carolinabobcarolinabob Member Posts: 576
    Potentially looks good, but why does Hyundai have problems with suspensions on so many vehicles? The Inside Line First Ride article mentioned deficient rebound control.
    When Genesis was first introduced it was going to sell for less than 30K. Base is 33K and most sell for about 35K or more. So will the Equus sell for 58-68K? That's pretty expensive for a car with no badge prestige. Most people buying/leasing in that price range want their friends and neighbors and clients to KNOW they are driving an expensive, prestige car.
    I really do wish Hyundai good luck, but instead of spending so much time and R&D on new cars, fix the complaints with the existing models.
    BTW, Hyundai has now moved on to the HED-5 as it's toy of the year.
    Wow Bob...even here in the Equus thread you must continue, huh?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Please simply ignore messages that you don't like - we're not going to get into attacking individuals for their points of view.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Friday, after work, me and the wife drove over to Alexandria Hyundai to check out the Equus....

My first impression of the Equus was quiet excitement. The car has a familiar and yet very distint look to it. Yes, you could very well see it as a Lexus, Benz or BMW, but on the other hand...it is it's own "character". The lines of the car are truly better than anything else Hyundai has created (even edging out the Genesis Coupe). Walking around the car, all the panels fit nicely and seem to be very consistently spaced.

Opening the driver's door, you are greeted with a sill 'Equus" plate that lights up. I moved the driver's seat back as far as it would go and it didn't seem to go back as far as I thought it needed to, but I was able to ease into the and was met with comfort. The driver's seat can be arranged in various ways that you would expect and it even has and extension you can adjust for those that like more support under their thighs.

Looking around the cabin and you notice things like the suede headliner, the Infiniti style clock, the passenger seat controls located on the driver's side of the passenger seat so that the driver can adjust it without having to reach all the way across the car to do so. I set the driver's seat up for the most comfortable driving position (for me...I'm 6'2", 225 lbs) and then I got out and climbed in the rear seat behind the driver's seat. There was at least 6" clearance between the seat back and my knees...WOW!!! Looking on the rear door, there are seat controls just like the front. Yes, power rear seats that recline slightly, but the way it's done is the seat bottom slides out pulling the bottom of the seat back with it.

From the rear seat, you look up and notice to rectangles on the ceiling. Flip one open and you find out that it's a lit vanity mirror (one on each side). Flip down the center arm rest and you'll find controls for the rear climate control and I believe some controls for the rear DVD enterntainment system. Another thing I noticed was the flip up table located on the back of the front passenger seat. It flips up and locks into place and allows for adjustment depending on how the seat is reclined. I would like to see one on both sides, but for not...it seems like there will only be one.

I climbed out of the rear seat and walked to the back of the car to open the trunk. I located the rubber covered button and was pleasantly surprised to be met with a full power trunk lid. When the trunk lid is up, you notice two red, lit buttons and one of them you push to close the trunk. You don't have to push it 98% of the way down and let a locking mechanism grab it and close it the last 2%, it closes it 100%...very nice. The trunk was very spacious (I forgot to peek and see if the rear deck was covered on the underside...sorry), but it didn't look like the trunk suffered from the rear reclining seats.

Okay, back to the driver's seat. I got back in for my 2nd opinion and grabbed the steering wheel, moved knobs, pushed buttons...everything seemed to be nicely weighted or have a very purposeful feel to it. It's clearly head and shoulders above the Genesis (which I have test driven). I truly wish I could have taken the Equus out for a spin because I would love to have experienced the suspension in both modes (there's a button on the center console that's labled 'Sport'). It definitely had the air suspension and I would love to have seen how that fared in comparison to that of the Azera and the Genesis.

Anyway, to wrap this up...the car itself is a site to behold in person, pictures truly do it no justice. I thought I liked the Genesis (my wife doesn't care for it), but I LOVE the Equus (so far). My wife even likes the Equus too...so much that she green-lighted me to get one when I'm ready to make that move. :D Currently, it's rumored that the Equus will start out just south of $50k and top out in the mid to upper $50k's. Word has it that Hyundai is very conscious of what happened with the Phaeton and doesn't want that fate to befall the Equus, however...only time will tell.

From what the saleperson told me, the Equus will be moving around to various dealers so that folks can get an opportunity to get a look at it. So...be on the look out for the Equus at YOUR local dealer and if you get the chance to look at it...post your feedback!!!
    Allmet33, good first impression. Will need a great lease deal on the Equus for me to consider one, especially with GM (Cadillac) getting back into leasing. At $48k, the Equus will match the base price of the MB E350 and MB will offer some good leases on the 2010 model after the initial excitement subsides. Without having driven one, the only thing I found to complain about in the Equus are the seats. They look cheap and don't have the upscale look that the rest of the car exudes. Maybe it was the light beige color, but look at the headlining, instrument panel, door panels, and carpeting, and the seats just don't make it. Maybe some of it was the cheap-looking "Equus" stamped on the seat backs (glad they knew enough not to stamp the seats "Hyundai"); it should be embroidered in a contrasting fabric. Also, contrasting piping might make the seats look more upscale. I thought the rear compartment was nice, but I won't be riding back there, so I don't care if it's Grey Poupon or French's Yellow. The only must haves for me is a blind zone alert, tire pressure monitoring, air suspension, and good sound systems.
    I honestly didn't have an issue with the seats. I don't know about piping, considering that's kinda 80's. I think a nice contrasting French stitching would set the seats off. I mean honestly...the materials used in the Equus are much better than those used in the Genesis and the seats in the Genesis have a nice feel to them. I guess that's going to be a subjective point though. With the rear compartment as nice as it is...I may just have to let the missus drive while I literally lounge in the back and watch a movie or catch a few zzz's. ;)

I did also notice that the rear seats are heated and cooled as well. That's a huge improvement over the Genesis that only got the driver's seat with the heat/cool option.

At $48k, matching the price of th E350 is nice considering you are getting a car that is competing against the S-Class, 7-Series & LS. Even if the price tops out in the high $50k's for a fully loaded model...you're still getting a huge deal because fully loaded, the premium brand large sedans can push close to $80k.
  • osaka75osaka75 Member Posts: 88
    On July 27 Fairfax Hyundai in Northern Virginia had an Equus in their showroom. I tried to check it out but there were several people crowding around it. Looked very nice! As the last poster mentioned, these may be moving from dealership to dealership so call ahead to make sure it's still there.
  • akumaakuma Member Posts: 70
    At $48k, matching the price of th E350 is nice considering you are getting a car that is competing against the S-Class, 7-Series & LS. Even if the price tops out in the high $50k's for a fully loaded model...you're still getting a huge deal because fully loaded, the premium brand large sedans can push close to $80k.

oh no... only the LS460 can be fully loaded for under $80k (MSRP), and that's for the regular version not the long wheelbase version for $10k more. the Audi A8 with comparably underpowered 4.2 V8 is around $95k fully loaded; the new redesign will probably be even more expensive. BMW and Mercedes both are well north of $110k fully loaded (again, regular versions not the extended wheelbase). of course, many of the options (a $6k stereo upgrade, a $7k interior upgrade, $2k infrared night vision) are superfluous, but still the Equus even at $58,000 fully loaded will be barely half as expensive as the German equivalents. this would be more like the original LS400 circa 1989 for under $40k (around $65k in today's dollars).
    Yes, well...with the room the Equus offers, it would have to be compared to the LS460 long wheel base version. Even if the LS came in under the $80k...the point is, the Equus will mop the floors with all of them in regards to bang for buck! ;)
    Thought it interesting that Edmunds Inside Line first drive commented negatively on the ride/suspension-excessive rebound to be specific.
    Why does suspension/ride show up so many times in test drive reports for Hyundai upscale vehicles?
    Don't think that is what they are saying as reviewers do not say it about Lexus. It is not too stiff/firm/whatever - it is too uncontrolled.
    Kirstie:
    Thanks!!!! :)
    While Autoweek, Sep. 7, had a very favorable review in the Sep. 7 issue, they recommended ride and suspension improvements.
    The class to which the Equus aspires is one that is fairly conservative as to exterior appearance. For example, they have few, if any, flashy colors and very moderate use of chrome and “bling” on the exteriors.
    Eliminate the license plate bump out, appendages under headlights, bright chrome wheels and hood ornament. Maybe, remove some of the other chrome trim. This is not a 1958 Buick.
    The backseat amenities should be an option as many people will not want them. It is doubtful that families with teenagers or empty nesters will want to spend a lot of money on them.
    The power door system is probably of little value to most people and may even be dangerous based on reports I have read.
    Any radar cruise control should have an off switch so that standard cruise control can be used. The systems are just not that good.
    Above all, fix the suspension and ride.
    Equus holds a lot of promise and Hyundai definitely on the way up. It's biggest advantage will be the lower cost. Having looked at MB E, Lexus LS and Audi A6 recently, Hyundai has more for less, but in "badge power," it won't win and wouldn't even with a separate luxury brand and for many in this class, that's what counts. :)
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Doubt we will see this anytime soon, but there is a stretched limo version and a bullet-proof version of the Equus in Korea

http://www.hyundai-blog.com/index.php/2009/09/29/hyundai-equus-limousine/

;)