Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado - Continued XVI

Comments

• xringxring Member Posts: 129
    Has anyone had experience with installing a block heater in the 6.0L? If so, how long did it take?

Mine didn't come with a block heater, so I'm thinking about putting one in.

John
  • markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    gaseous fuels.

I'm gonna put my 2500HD on hold pending release of the KL5 option for the 6.0L.

Going down to Phx to put $4k down on a f150 CNG Bi-fuel and buy a refueling system ( www.fuelmaster.com ) for my house on Tuesday.

Done the block heater in other vehicles. Easy if you can get in there. Get the factory version, some of the aftermarket block heaters have wimpy cords. Also buy a heavy duty timer (1.5kw), as you only need the block heater on for 3 hours. Won't hurt to leave on longer, but saves on electricity....
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Fuelmaster looks like snake oil...J.C. Whitney material. Didn't see a fueling system. Mark, you're breathing too many fumes.

Guess I should forget about a conversion if you have to harden the valves and seats.
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    ...Block heater....I can see the cord clearly in the drivers wheel well.....but have not used it once yet...and probably never will.....why did I get it?....uhhh...cuz it was $26!......will next truck have one?......you betcha!

...Ryan....it got cold here...and some snow/sleet up north where I was....but it went soon after....was out scouting for deer.....it's gonna be a good year!

...and remember when you said the tow/haul didn't really work good?....and I said when you have a real load it does...and you said you had a real load...(a whopping 1000 lbs)....but still said it didn't seem to do anything?.....well....i was right again eh?

LOL

...with 3500 lbs...it acts as if the truck was driving dry...

- Tim
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Yea tow haul does work with heavy loads i liked the feeling of it. Also we still have some snow here. Windshield wipers were frozen down this morning it sucked.

Ryan
    Oh yea guess what guys i have a limited edition truck. its a Silverado Xtreme. Ill post pics probably in a wk or 2 to verify this. :)

Ryan
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    sagging after carrying shingles....should've borrowed the truck from menards...LOL!!

Dean
  • fortopfortop Member Posts: 239
    chance on the 5.3 conversion. Considering that thousands have already been converted, I won't be alone with the problem. Even if the engine blows in a several years, the savings on not paying high cost Arizona registrations alone for a few years will help offset the cost of engine repair/replacement. A $40K Yukon for $20K is hard to pass up. My $.02.
    ..Babs has pics of a sagging Z71 with some shingles in back....

(It is the biggest load he has ever seen ya know)

hehehe

- Tim
    Truck barely sagged.
    Its not because of that

i tried to get a free delivery from the guy but he wouldnt do it he had a busy day and needs $$$ you know gas isnt cheap nowadays.

Ryan
    LOL

- Tim
  • markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    you're right quad... www.fuelmaker.com is the CNG home refueling station.

Stupid name. Stupid Buck....
    Tim my truck will be very unique after you see what gets done to it trust me.

Ryan
    ..the brush guard you are having put on eh?...or something like that...that will be done by someone else of course!

LOL

- Tim

..BTW...a 2500 Badge on a 1500 ain't gonna make it a 3/4 boss..

hehhhee
    Tim - haha nope no grill guard or 2500 badge (why would i want a 2500???).

This wont be done by anyone but me.

Chevy Silverado Xtreme LTD.

Sounds kinda nice eh?

Ryan
    all by himself??? Should really be a good one...well, at least it'll be a first one....LOL!!

Dean
    Dean

your forgeting i put on that sticker on the rear window and my tail light guards i even had to drill into the rear end for that one.

Its only gonna cost me about $50 to make this truck even more unique than anyone elses.

Kinda like jay lenos 6.0 in the 1/2 ton

Ryan
  • bcobco Member Posts: 756
    yawn...stop talking and start showing. you're attempt at suspense wasn't nearly as good as tim's. see tim showed first, then talked. all your talking is making me tired.

ok...weekend report. spent saturday and sunday night in a very small tent at the elkmont campsite of great smokey mountains national park. got down to about 29-30 degrees on saturday and 25 degrees last night. COLD!!! the wife was with me though and we toughed it out. great hikes etc.

now, to trucks...saw more tundras this weekend than i've seen since they've been on the road. funny thing: more were driven by women than men. none were towing anything. saw many (100+) new model silverados in the last three days with most towing or hauling something. boats, fifth wheels, campers, etc. gave a guy at the next site over our leftover fire wood this morning. he was driving a '00 2500 longbed. came over to look at my truck. went over to look at his. gave him some firewood and bade him farewell. smokey's are beautiferous right now. next week should be great. take care!

bco
    You will see. No suspense.

Think about it Silverado Xtreme hmmmm. Just think.

Also no tires this wk again. You think your dealer can get me some???

Do any 4 wheeling? I got some snow driving saturday night and sunday.

Ryan
    the Burb legend was much better as well..

yaaawwwnn....

LOL

heeeheheee

$50?!....I dropped more than that on some Guinness and Bass tonight!

- Tim
    why?...??...so you could tell the honey you got something bigger?

LOL

- Tim
  • blackmax200blackmax200 Member Posts: 255
    Watch this is gonna be a picture with a kid doing extreme tricks on a skateboard over the bed, or through the open 4 doors.....sic

The only thing worse than Ryan's futile attempt at humor, is that ya'wl keep egging him on before he shows any substance.....Now Tim's was original cause we knew there was NO WAY he would unload the 2500 for a, a....burb?...and a 1500 at that!

Ryan don't take this personal like. I have been reading this since back in January and this one takes the cake. Hope you get an A in creative writting course...I really do!

Ok I guess I am guilty too, but just my .02 worth

Matthew
    i didnt do it for suspense. Im gonna tell you all what this is all about. I just got this idea a few days ago and it grew on me. I am going to get the S-10 xtreme badge

Bowtie with the words xtreme and attatch it to my tailgate under the silverado badge (hopefully itll fit) Hence

Silverado Xtreme

Ryan
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    cough...gay...cough......

Don't forget the "No Fear" stickers.
    No mod already have a sticker

2 xtreme on the back window matches the color great

Ryan
    take the chevrolet and silverado badge off the truck. Looks cleaner and is easier to polish. You can do the same for the 1500 badge on the sides and that Z71 sticker too. Man, all this cheap plastic on the truck....just trash it. Doesn't do a thing for looks or performance.
    No offense ace...but that's the dumbest thing I have heard out of you yet....oh well....ya missed out on having pewter flares....so why not have an extreme badge!?

Ain't my truck....do as ya want I guess...

....of course you need some bad boy stickers too!

- Tim
    Pewter flares? Bad boy stickers? Nah

Ryan
    Indigo with pewter bottom and flares in the lot yesterday.....damn they are nice....

Ya missed the boat boss!!

...the extreme badge should make up for it though...

LOL

(just kidding....do what makes ya happy)

- Tim
    The badge was just an idea i had. It wont fit under the silverado badge on the tailgate so im not doing it. The X is a little to big.

I missed the boat??? I dont want to be like every Joe Schmoe. I have a truck that doesnt look like everyone elses. I see way to many pewter/indigos around. If i got one id get it minus flares. The tahoes that color scheme look very nice.

Ryan
    on the freeway. Couldn't understand why it had CHEVROLET in big white letters on the tailgate like the C/K's. What gives on this one?
    Thats a base truck. The base silverado comes with the chevrolet in white letters across the tailfgate instead of the small emblams.

Ryan
  • wight1wight1 Member Posts: 218
    I know I've seen various posts in here over the months on this subject, but can't seem to find them now. I'm interested in making some power increase changes to my Y2K 2500 6.0l, and was thinking about some of the following possibilities:

1. Airaid or K&N intake system.
    2. Catback exhaust system.
    3. Throttle body spacer (don't know if this is available yet).
    4. Granatelli or other MAF sensor.

Any input/real world experience anybody has with any of this stuff would be greatly appreciated. None of this stuff comes cheap (I really can't believe the price for the Granatelli MAF!), and I don't want to spend a bunch of money for something that doesn't make noticeable improvement.
    1. Forget the airaid or FIPK from K&N and checkout the airfilter from amsoil

2. Catback...borla or magnaflow. If you do this one, item #1 is a must. I'm in the process of dumping my gibsons..gonna go with these...

http://jwfcs.webprovider.com/index.htm

3. TB spacer...good theory...save your money and forget this one.

4. Granatelli MAF...mixed opinions on this one...I like mine.

5. To put it all together...don't forget another $300 for the Hypertech III unit.

6. These work good also...

http://www.magnecor.com

http://www.torquemaster.com

Just my opinion!!
  • wight1wight1 Member Posts: 218
    have you had vibration/resonance problems with your Gibson exhaust? This is one problem I've heard about with them.
    In cab resonance between 1500 - 1800 rpm is most annoying. The overall system (sweptside) is quiet...almost like stock. However on the freeway, this thing is a killer. In trying to deaden the resonance, I've added soundproofing to the cab interior, welded all the connection points and to no avail. Others have told me that it's the Gibson's muffler design which has baffles that cause the resonance....I'll never buy another Gibson again. The new system has been guaranteed by the owner of the company to eliminate all resonance. The downside is the system is almost as quiet as stock...but the increase in performance is shown by the dyno charts. With the Gibson, there was also a substantial loss of low end torque.
  • ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    The second day I had my truck I removed all badging on my truck-definately looks better without it! BUT, wait till GM gets the truck back under the Lemon Law, will they notice it being removed? I would like to get some yellow lemon decals to put on it when it goes back!!!
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    was the only choice I needed to make after seeing what was available & I don't regret it, took one hour start to finish to remove old stock system w/700 miles on it and install the Borla's, best fitting and sounding sytem I've ever put on a truck and if you keep the truck for years as I do it's got the best guarantee on the market. I paid $500 for the system thru mail order catolog and got the dual side exhaust were it exists behind the rear tires each side.
    My pics are at www.picturetrail.com/rayt2/60054 to see for yourself.

and yes it is a real 2500 no fake badges here.LOL

Ray T.
  • pjb0422pjb0422 Member Posts: 43
    I just got a front end alignment for my 2000 LT Z71. It had a slight pull to the left and the steering wheel was not centered. After I got the Bridgestone Duelers put on, the pull to the left was more prominent at highway speeds. Did you know that the first time your 'rado gets an alignment, it will cost you more? Apparently there are some "knockouts" that are installed at the factory when assembling the truck. The mechanic has to spend more time (time = $$$) removing the "knockouts" before he can do any adjustments. After that, the alignments will cost the usual price. Since I have 4K miles on mine, it fell under the factory warranty. Service advisor said that the alignment is under warranty up to 7K miles. So if your 'rado needs an alignment, get it done before 7K mi.

Phil
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    So it is a real 2500LD? The one that is no longer available? That was was a real good comprimise between the 1500 and an 8600lb GVWR 2500.

It is the first one I've ever seen.

Mike L
  • bcobco Member Posts: 756
    hey, what's up with gmpartsdirect.com?

i went to look up that air filter...thought, ooh...looky here, $13...down from $22 retail. maybe i'll get two or three. go to check out and they're charging $8.88 S&H??? what the???

grrrrrrrrrrr

you save a whopping $0.14 by ordering online? you can have freakin' tires shipped to your house for $25/pair! and that's like 50 freakin' pounds! what's up with $9 S/H for a filter? i tell them what THEY can HANDLE. i hate car manufacturers!!!

...can you tell i had a bad day?

bco
    WHats with the 4x4 transfer case on the 2500 HD's??? Its not autotrac. I was dissappointed. I went to my uncles dealership to get a 2001 brochure (had none) they had a black 4x4 ext cab 2500 HD 6.0. Nice truck but it had bench seats and that NOT autotrac 4x4. $33K about as much as mine was MSRP.

Oh yea finished paying off the truck today woohoo.

Ryan
    meant to say Borla not Boral in post #425.
    they have autotrac in an HD....if not..uhhh..oh well...I did without it before!

...wonder if it's a supplier prob or something else?

- Tim
  • jed1894jed1894 Member Posts: 337
    I posted a question about "WarrantyGold" on the 2001 Chevy topic and I meant to post it here...sorry about the double dose.....

Anyway, you guys have any experience with "WarrantyGold" company?

Thanks John
  • tex6tex6 Member Posts: 96
    What is the best way to test if your truck needs alignment? Let go of steering wheel on a absolutely flat road? Should the bowtie on steering wheel be perfectly straight? As you can see, I am no Mr Goodwrench. Thanks!
  • hunter98hunter98 Member Posts: 273
    On my 99 Sierra, when it had 7000 miles on it I had the alignment done (knockout theory). After having it done, I was told there were no knockouts on the sierra. On my 2000 model I traded for 8 months ago, it has developed a pull with 10000 miles, I hope the no knockout theory still holds true. If it has them it costs an extra hundred bucks or so. At least that is what it cost on my friends burban (old style). I think sometimes the knockout excuse may be a way to rip customers off who are uninformed. Just a guess.

LOL

Hunter
    How's about taking it to another alignment shop to check on the dealer's work. and I don't mean Goodyear or Firestone....if it's found out of alignment you could always take it back to the dealer or try to get them to reimburse you for the alignment done at the shop. My dealer was kinda disturbed when I had his work checked out. He said "Why did you have it checked out". All I could think of was to reply, "Why do you think". end of conversation.
    My truck has been aligned four times in 15K miles.
  • jed1894jed1894 Member Posts: 337
    WarrantyGold. I found a topic that has some very good post.

John
This discussion has been closed.