Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti M35 vs Lexus GS 300

ckelly14ckelly14 Member Posts: 105
edited March 2014 in INFINITI
I have been lurking on these message boards for a long time, but instead of posting, I soon will be buying! The CPO warranty runs out on my Audi in November, so I will soon be negotiating in earnest. I've narrowed it down to the two vehicles above.

I'm looking for: a more comfortable cruisers than my 2000 A4 1.8T, but still able to throw it around once in awhile. All the newest goodies: Bluetooth, Voice command, etc.

The current contest:

Exterior: tie
Interior: GS- I like things a bit simpler but still luxurious. I would like to have the stone or ash interior in either car, but the M35 requires the sport and the GS has the ugly black birds-eye wood. I'll probably have to go with the black interior.
Handling/Power: M35
Quiet/Comfort: Lexus
Room: M35
Dealership: Lexus- they're opening a new dealership 5 minutes from my house. Infiniti is 35 minutes. Infiniti guys are cheese balls, Lexus guys are all business.
Price: tie, but I think there is more negotiation room on the Lexus.

I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Comments

• zidecarzidecar Member Posts: 49
    I too had the the GS300 on my short list, as well as the M35x and Audi A6. The GS300 fell off the list very quickly. I'm 6'1" and my head kept hitting the top rail each time I entered/exited the car. Head room in the rear was tight as well, Also, the rear seat leg/knee room was a joke for transporting the occasional person. Never proceeded to the next step of driving the GS300. I was surprised at this space disparity because the exterior dimensions of the 2 cars are close. The M35 is 2" longer and 3" higher than the GS300. The M35 apparently makes very effective use of those extra inches. BTW, I purchased and am completely pleased with my M35x which has recently celebrated its 2 week old anniversary. :D
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    With my 6'2" ht., the GS was just too tight and the rear (I occasionally like to ride in) was uninhabitable. The power of the GS300 was adequate rather than stellar, but the gas mileage of the Lexus should be better. The GS's interior was to me slightly more luxurious but not as modern as the M. Our service on my G35 was great so there were no issues there. BTW, the Infiniti's warranty is 4yr./60,000 mi. vs. 4yr./50,000mi. with the Lexus (NOT an issue with me). Lexus service has always been good. All being said, the M was much more fun to drive and sportier as well as roomier, and thus got the nod. Looks are subjective. My gas mileage (city) is 18mpg+. After 5 mos. of ownership, no problems and no regrets.

BOTH, are nice cars!
  • ckelly14ckelly14 Member Posts: 105
    My wife complained about the headroom during our last test drive. The first time I drove it, I remember a question about interior volume, but not the last time. I'll have to drive it again.

I took a look at the specs today. The M has 1 inch more headroom, 2 inches more shoulder room and about an inch more leg room all around. An inch makes a difference!
  • docnukemdocnukem Member Posts: 485
    Those inches are sometimes fudged. You never know where they are measuring. The M is much larger (relative to the GS) than those inches of difference would suggest.
  • medpedsdocmedpedsdoc Member Posts: 8
    I looked at both the GS 300 and the M35 on paper ~5 months ago, decided on the GS, and ordered one. To make a long story short, I gave up on Lexus and got my heart set on a M35. Suddenly, both were available. I test drove both. Yes, the Infinity is a bit more spacious, but it was far less luxurious than the lexus. Little things like the sound of the turn signal on the M35 reminded me of a video game. In the M35, I felt like I was driving a non-luxury car with lots of snap-on luxury features. Whereas the Lexus was smoooooth. Yes, not quite the power, but coming from a SAAB 9000, the pick-up is superb. There was no doubt that the GS 300 is a luxury car with a capital "L". I picked the lexus hands down for quality. I've had it 5 days and each day I appreciate it more. :)
  • ahom12ahom12 Member Posts: 10
    Looked at the GS300, M35 and the BMW 3 (not the 5, which would have been fairer). 3 and M performed better IMO, but Lexus luxury beyond reproach. Like medpedsdoc said, you know you are driving a luxury car in the Lexus, with the M, I didn't get the same feeling. GS performance sufficed for me (albeit a little more body lean than I'd care for), but the luxury element sold me.

Good luck. Really can't go wrong with any of these vehicles. I should be picking up my gs300 tomorrow! :)
    Congrats on the new GS. It's great to hear from some of the Lexus folks. I like both autos and I think the differences, although present, are less than some of the car mags and comparos would lead one to believe.
  • janeg2janeg2 Member Posts: 22
    I'm another one of those who tried to give the M35 due consideration when shopping for a new car recently. I really appreciated that there was more space in the interior, and that *on paper* it appeared to have many of the same features as the GS 300.

It was a pretty good approximation.

I bought the Lexus.
    Hi Janeg2. I do think the M35 and the Beamers do drive better (IMHO), but neither can match the luxury catchet of the Lexus, again IMO.

I wanted to get 18" wheels, but they didn't have any in stock. Did you get with 18 inchers or the standard 17" run flats? I thought I read somewhere in these forums that the 18" wheels does help the ride a bit.

And for those with Verizon out there, the LG VX8100 seemed to connect to it quiet easily.
  • janeg2janeg2 Member Posts: 22
    I got the 18" wheels and I think the ride is really fine. Its a smoother and quieter ride than my 1998 GS 300.

Also I much prefer the wood steering wheel and the light and graceful turning at slow speeds (such as parking lots) to the previous leather wheel and heavy feel at slow speeds of the old GS - and the new M35. A world of difference.

I absolutely love the refinement and feeling of pampering in the 06 GS, plenty enough to forgive it for smaller cabin space and trunk opening. Its a good time to not be a tall person or it might not have been such an easy fit.

Like many others on this board, I only thought I knew what a great car it was when I bought it. Within the first few days of driving I began to realize how fine it really was.
  • edspider1edspider1 Member Posts: 195
    Replacing my LS430, I wanted something smaller so the GS was the first car to look at. Compared to the LS, I thought it was a LOT cheaper inside and I hated the metal finish going down the console. It also felt cramped. I found the M to be a lot more comfortable. So far that's all subjective, but I will say the M has more features than the GS and in the M, they do work perfectly. Toys are very important to me and although my LS had them, they didn' work as well. The M's nav is easier to use, more accurate and the birdseye view gorgeous. The back up camera is brighter, sharper and has intended path markers. The speech rec really works and I can set a destination without being at a dead stop. The transmission is smoother. The toys on the M are not gimmicks!

That said, the GS is quieter and softer. The interior isn't as bold.
    Sheeesh, wish I told my salesperson I wanted the 18" early on. My car did have them, but they took it off for another gs300 sold to another couple that drove off as I was coming in! Oh well, you snooze you lose :cry:

I'll try to get 18" in the after market. Picking it up today at 11:30 :)
  • begbiebegbie Member Posts: 5
    I too chose the M over the GS. For me, I wanted a car that combined sportiness with luxury and the M unquestionably trumps the GS in this category. Also, the Infiniti seems more youthful than the Lexus (I'm 30) so that was a factor too. My uncle (55) is looking at the Lexus but not the Infiniti because Infiniti seems to "racer boy" too him.
    Well, I decided on the M. Unfortunately, it was a practical decision, not really based on what car I really wanted. My wife and I are not very tall (I'm 6'0" and she is 5'9") but we both have longer torsos, and we just couldn't fit in the GS. My hair would definitely scrape the top of the roof with the seats all the way down. I liked the GS styling inside and out better than the M. I liked the fact that the Lexus dealership was 5 minutes away. I liked the fact that I would be driving a Lexus -there, I said it! But, the M wins. I liked the driving dynamics better in the M but I was looking for more of a comfortable cruiser for my all interstate drive to work. Looked at the LS, which I really liked, but my wife said "no way- old man's car".

What was Lexus thinking of when they chopped off 3 cubic feet of trunk room? Enough said. I'm really not that disappointed as the M is an excellent car, but I think the GS was such a narrow miss for me. This class of LPS vehicles is very competitive!!
    Congrats ckelly14! You really can't go wrong with either car. I am more than satisifed with my GS300 purchase (and dealer location was an influence) and look forward to driving it for fun in the years to come. The M did drive better to me (handling, pickup, etc), but the Lexus sufficed for the type of driving I do day-to-day (a few miles to the train station), and I love its appointments!

Good luck with your M! Did you get the M35/x or M45?
    Haven't purchased yet, but have decided on a silver M35 non-sport with Journey and Tech; black interior.
  • byu1byu1 Member Posts: 1
    I have 2300 miles on my 2006 GS300, and it is for sale. I am driving around with a piece of cloth on the center console near the shift lever -- because the sun glare off the black wood has almost caused me to hit the center divider twice, and have put aluminum tape on the LEDs in the foot well, and above the shift lever because these cannot be shut off at night.

The climate control system does what it wants, and not what I want, and takes far too many buttons to push to get anything done.

I selected the GS300 over the Infinit M35 because of superior gas mileage, and further apart reccomended service. But I was truly stupid to do so.

Every aspect of the Lexus GS300 is counter-intuitive -- from putting the side view mirror controls, parking sensors, odometer brightness, setting, and reset buttons (and many others) into a tiny fold away cluster -- which is UNSAFE TO OPERATE WHILE THE VEHICLE IS MOVING, to an erratic and unreliable bluetooth connection to a Nokia 6230B cell phone (sure the Moto flip phone does bluetooth fine, but has lousy reception, so what is the point?)

So if you want an unsafe to drive car because you are constantly distracted by the non-intuitive controls, blinded by the setting sun reflecting off the side view mirrors, and almost hit the center divide while trying to get the side view mirrors tilted down (oh, they go down automatically when you enter reverse, just not when they are reflecting the sun into your eyes), lack of any polarization on the rear window, absolutely minimal front windshield tinting, and a stereo with lousy reception for remote stations, then please take my $45,000 luxuary car off my hands for a mere $36,622 -- which the dealer is happily offering me after 3 months and 2300 miles.

I have gone to Lexus Corporate and dicussed these (and several other issues with them), and they agree --- the GS300 is not for me, and they will NOT stand behind their vehicle to make it better, or take it back.

P.S. when you switch between AM/ FM, or FM and CD, you have to adjust the stereo volume substantially. Not too bright.
    Wow, you rally don't like that car. Your situation is very unusual but I'm sure you can do better with resale by selling the car through you local newspaper or Autotrader.
  • abunabun Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to decide between the m35 and the gs300.I like the handling of the m35 but the loud reving kind of bothers me. I am currently driving a gs300 and don't here anthing when I drive. I think the features of the m35 are great but am concerned about resale value. does anyone have any thoughts.
    GS300:
    Better interior and exterior (completely subjective)
    Quiter highway ride
    Better dealership experience (for me)

M35:
    More power
    More room (my head brushes the top of the GS roof)
    More storage
    Better handling

Residual values on leases are higher for the M so resale value may actually be better for the M.

Both are great cars, it's a matter of taste. If the GS had a few inches more headroom, I would pick it. Right now, I'm leaning to the M but my mind changes literally every day. However, it keeps coming back to how annoyed I'd be when my head keeps brushing the top of the headliner during my commute in my GS ....
  • msportfiendmsportfiend Member Posts: 1
    After test driving both the GS300 and the M35 (back to back, I might add), both my wife and I decided, hands-down, the M was the clear winner. Here's why:

* Lexus was beautiful in terms of fit and finish and interior look/feel/quality, BUT it felt SO MUCH smaller inside. Although the differences in interior room are measured in 1-2" in each dimension, the M just felt like it had so much more space, like a Lexus LS or MB 5-series. We felt cramped sitting it the back seats of the GS. Just didn't feel right for a car in its class, especially since physically the two cars are so similar in size.

* The Lexus had some odd placements of some important controls -- that drop-down console below the left side of the steering column is awkward. All of the M's controls were easily accessible without having to take one's eyes off the road for more than a second or so. Also, the nav screen is up higher, meaning you can glance at it without having to take your eyes too far off the road.

* Tech Options: Both cars have really nice technology options, but I found the "multiple way of doing the same thing, pick what works for you" approach in the M to be more intuitive. If you don't like the computer interface, there are manual controls that do the same thing just like "in the old days" (pre-2003!).

* Now for the biggest difference: DRIVING. The GS, with its "electronic overlords" (as one of the big car mag reviews recently stated) insulates the driver too much from the road. The GS drives smooth and luxuriously, but I'm more of a rubber-meets-the-road driver and really loved the FEEL of the M...it feels like I'm connected to the car -- part of the machine -- whereas the GS made me feel like a passive observer in the driver's seat. The GS felt sluggish off the line, while the M just cranks across all levels of the power band. I also drove the M45 and that car is just a beast off the line...could get a lot of speeding tickets with that V8!

In the end, I guess the M just inspired passion in me, while the GS left me with "nice car, but for $50k I'll take the one that's more fun to drive." The GS was a nice ride and I probably would have picked it if the M didn't exist...but it does, and so parked in the driveway now is a new M35 Sport.

Both cars are much better than their expensive and unreliable German counterparts! I like to think of Lexus as having a focus on Mercedes-style luxury, while Infiniti is clearly going after BMW for performance.

Anyway, that's my $0.02!
    Nice summary. It's exactly why I too have an M35sport sitting in my garage since March. I haven't regreted my decision once.
  • ktkatktkat Member Posts: 7
    I drove both the M35 and the Lexus GS (along with BMW 5 series, Acura TL, and others).

I leased the M35 (with Journey and Tech). I've had it since March and find every excuse to drive. I actually like the interior (black) very much. The controls are very user friendly. I love the bluetooth, and voice controls. My phone is synched up to the system. I was surprised at how inaccessible the controls were in other cars, compared to the M35.

The M handles like a champ. It seems much more responsive and fast than the GS. I was a little bored driving the GS (and the ES ), but the GS was a bit quieter. I also noticed a big difference in interior size between the two cars, and I am only 5'3". The M35 is much roomier in the front AND back seats.

Based on my test driving and my experience with the M35, I would highly recommend the loaded, fun-to-drive, yet luxurious, Infiniti.

My BMW-driving friend (5 series) told me he was "shocked" at the great handling and features on the M35. He decided to buy one for his wife after driving mine.
  • g8rattg8ratt Member Posts: 2
    I am looking at both the M35 Sport and GS300 and I am having trouble finding all the options I want.

The 300 can't be found with the smart cruise control and pre crash sensors, so says the dealership. And I may have to wait on the 18 in spider wheels. Most don't have nav or ML audio.

The M35 S can't be found with a DVD player, although the m35 with the premium package has DVD, just not the sport.

Dealerships are maddening. Honda/Acura is the only carmaker to figure out that you make everything standard except what a dealer can add themselves. Too bad I don't like the RL.

Have you guys had any luck finding these options?

I am still torn between the 300 and M35.
  • msu79gt82msu79gt82 Member Posts: 541
    Dealerships are maddening. Honda/Acura is the only carmaker to figure out that you make everything standard except what a dealer can add themselves. Too bad I don't like the RL.

I got an M35 because I didn't like the RL either. One of the primary reasons is that Acura chose for me what I'd like or not like on the car. Unfortunately they chose wrong :sick: You see, I did not want OnStar or NavTraffic. I did however want a RearView Camera and Birdseye View Navi. Acura found out the hard way (with very poor sales figures, at least until they started giving it away under invoice :blush: ), that one size does not fit all :shades:
  • donbldonbl Member Posts: 42
    Drove both cars within a day and came to the following for "us":

M35 is more fun to drive (of course, a M45 would be more fun)
    GS300 is very nice inside
    GS is a Lexus (read ego)
    M has better technology package or the salesman was better
    Near neighbor has exactly the same GS my wife wants....
    Wife wants white and GS comes with that black wood stuff

I think the M is winning.
    Wife went for red GS 300 and that is the deal.

'Course, all the analysis was for naught when emotion and color choice rule.

Did take a DVD video/audio and listened & watched the DVD play on the navigation system. Pretty slick and the ML sounded great.
  • acdiveracdiver Member Posts: 1
    KTKAT:

Thank you, Thank you and Thank you. After reading your review of the M35 vs. Lexus etc. you made me feel better for buying the M35 loaded w/o premium recently.

I looked at the Acura TL & BMW 5 series and after I signed the contract I was bummed I didn't purchase the BMW 5 series price was about the same for a loaded BMW plus the 4 ur service but I thought the M35 had some better features then tyhe BMW.

Also what Bluetooth phone are you using with your M35? I need to purchase a new phone with Bluetooth for my new car PU Thursday can not wait.

andy
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Congrats on your new ride! :)

Why don't you stop by the ongoing Infiniti M35/M45 2006+ discussion? You'll find a lot of enthusiastic owners there and all kinds of conversation, both past and present. It's probably the best place for specific M35 questions.

Oh, and welcome to our Forums!!
  • sullyaksullyak Member Posts: 30
    Does anybody know if they increased in head room in the GS for 2006? I was going to go and test drive but based on what people over 6 feet tall are saying, I'm only going to if they addressed this problem in the 2006 model.

Thanks.
    The M35 has much more head room front and "especially" back than the GS or the RL.

I will also have a problem with son-in-law but he will have to live with it or fight my wife for her spot in front which isn't much better.....
    The new GS model ('06) has reduced headroom.
  • eyeguy1eyeguy1 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for all talk about BUYING the M35...BUT has anyone had any real problems? Mechanical or handling or tires???
  • bw45sportbw45sport Member Posts: 151
    M45 Sport with 7,000 miles. Not one single problem with mechanicals or tires. 2003 G35 Coupe, 25,000 miles, not one single problem of any type. 2003 MB SL500, 25,000 miles...not one single problem of any type.....multiple problems of every type.
  • docnukemdocnukem Member Posts: 485
    I've had two problems in 9500 miles, although only one is related to mechanical. The moonroof rattle has been fixed. The "mechanical" problem was a driver seat that became loose enough to slide about 1 cm with harder stops. They had to order a new bracket which fixed it (one week wait for part).

Others have complained about a pulling to the side when braking. Mine stops perfectly straight (I've even tested it without hands on the wheel--in a safe place, of course).

Handling and performance are great. The trade-off is mileage. I've had to replace one tire (a piece of metal went through the side-wall). It was pricey.
  • allen11allen11 Member Posts: 1
    Dear All,

Thank you for this message board and comments. Really helped me in making decision between GS 300 and M35.

They are both great cars; can't go wrong either way.

But, having driven both cars multiple times, I must say M35 beats GS 300 in terms of fun to drive and cool factor. M is better in every area, particularly acceleration and handling.

Purchased new M35 sport liquid platinum yesterday, and it is a dream. Solicited bids on both cars. Best deal was on the GS 300, dealer out of south FL. Will sell car for 40K new (MSRP 46,174) and would ship to my front door for 40,500. M pricing is not as flexible. M appears to be hotter car and could not find it in Southeast for less than 288 dollars over invoice: m35 sport non-jouney, splash guards, full size spare and trunk mat: 41,288 and 41,487 actual price quotes in south. Invoice was roughly 41K.

Regards.
    WOW, I'm surprised that the GS could be obtained for almost $6k under msrp.

BTW as a multiple previous Lexus owner I agree with your assessment.

Good luck with the new ride.
    Thanks for all talk about BUYING the M35...BUT has anyone had any real problems? Mechanical or handling or tires???

3300 miles with zero problems. Although the M is a new US model it debuted in Japan a year ago so it is not a new Nissan/Infiniti model. :shades:
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    Allen: May I ask the name of the dealer in South Florida who was willing to give you 6K under sticker?
  • bcorigbcorig Member Posts: 13
    4000 miles - no problems. A dream to drive. No comparison to the RL and GS 300 in terms of headroom, legroom, rear seating room. Milage abot 19 mpg.
    One flaw - passenger seat. Not nearly as comfortable as the driver's seat. :)
  • jperkins22jperkins22 Member Posts: 10
    I looked at the M35, GS430, GS300, BMW 550i, BMW 530i and the M45. I liked the interior of the GS series the best. It was clean and of very high quality. I liked the technology of the M series. It had the best Nav system, voice recognition, backup monitor, sound system and DVD player. I did not like the interior nor the technology of the BMW's. The performance of the GS300 was inadequate and the GS430 performed similarly to the M35. The M handling was definitely better than the GS. The performance of the M45 was similar to the 550i and completely blew away the GS 430.

I bought the M45 and am very happy with my purchase.
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    What's your gas mileage?
  • jperkins22jperkins22 Member Posts: 10
    I am getting 19.5 overall and about 22-23 on the highway. The one down side of the M is the gas mileage. I have noticed from other forum members that the M45 gets about the same as the M35.
  • hlatininjahlatininja Member Posts: 1
    I drove all of them. What did it for me was the gas mileage and the price. I got very good deal, fully loaded, including navigation and ML for 45,500. Plus the fact the car looks and drives like a dream helped a lot. Hope this helps!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Nissanfan_1, I moved your post to a better place for your question - just click on this link: nissan_fan1, "Infiniti M35/M45 2006+" #5483, 15 Mar 2006 2:29 pm.

Welcome!
  • aveghteaveghte Member Posts: 68
    I have been driving a GS300 as a loaner car and have been very impressed with the functionality of the intelligent key. However it doesn't look like there is a manual override option. How does this feature compare with the M35?
  • zidecarzidecar Member Posts: 49
    I have been driving a GS300 as a loaner car and have been very impressed with the functionality of the intelligent key. However it doesn't look like there is a manual override option

Not sure what you mean by a "manual override option". There is no "key" for the M, except for unlocking the doors/trunk in the event that the battery in the key fob fails. If that happens, there is a slot on the lower left corner of the dash where you can insert the fob, similar to inserting a key. At that point, you can press the starter button and the M will start.
    I get about 18 around town and about 24 on the highway.
  • bocatripbocatrip Member Posts: 194
    I currently own a 2004 G35 Coupe. I usually change cars every 3 years or so. I test drove the M3, Porsche CaymanS, Lexus IS350, M35 and GS300. The BMW and Porsche in my opinion were overpriced junk. Alot of plastic, super hard rides, high prices, and of course poor reputation for mechanics/electrics. I have decided to stick with Japanese and narrowed it down to the M35 or GS300. I test drove the M35, and like my G35 was not impressed with the erratic and abrubt shifting of the transmission. I liked the interior but just could not get used to the outside (rear design). It keeps reminding me of a G35 sedan. The acceleration is excellent on the M. Owning a G35 I know as a fact that this car drinks gasoline. Around town, which is most of my driving, my G35 gets around 15. I also was never in love with the body integrity of Nissan/Infiniti. Way too many rattles,wind noise, creaks etc. The Lexus drove like a true luxury car. Grant it, it does not have the power or sports feel of the M. However, I am at the stage in my life of wanting total luxury and the GS300 delivers. 2 areas of dissappontment are, the inferior Nav system in the GS which lacks the 3D Birdseye View and not quite enough zip in acceleration. Therefore, I have decided to hold off and wait for the 2007 GS350 hopefully coming late this year with any extra 50HP or so and a 5th generation Nav system which has 3D shadow graphics. Before I shell out 50 big ones I will wait for the upgraded GS350 version to make my decision.
  • billyperks1billyperks1 Member Posts: 151
    I am also waiting too, I hope it does not disappoint.

I like the M35X but i just cannot get past those tail lights.
This discussion has been closed.