Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mistubishi Lancer EvoX

13»

Comments

• stevecebustevecebu Member Posts: 493
    I'm not sure if this has been mentioned... What about the Mazdaspeed 6? Is it too big and heavy?

It's being discontinued for 2008 and by the time I get back to the US no chance any will be leftover. Yes it is heavy but it's AWD. It's probably the best contender out there for the WRX but I think it's more sized to the Legacy.

I guarantee you, the EVO will easily outdo the Mazdaspeed 3(stock-for-stock). As good as the MS3 is, it just can't match the grip and power of the EVO.
    Then again, you also spend $14k less and you will have lower running costs (just ask how much a new set of EVO tires cost - every 10k miles)...

Yeah the EVO kicks some serious tail, but it is a world of $$$ more expensive and I'd rather my wife not drive a beater while I drive a new EVO and add to that her insurance rates being a new US driver. They will kill her on insurance. They'll nail me and I have a good record.
    The Mazdaspeed 3 is a good compromise but we both like the Mini Cooper S. The new Mitsu Concept with the EVO nose, diesel engine and AWD in a 4 door hatch looks like it would rock for us as well. Too bad it's only for Europe.
    The price of an EVO is too high figuring on 2006's prices and my wife want to know if we can drift a FWD car and I told her, not really! :sick:
    We want to start doing RallyX but I figure a beater for that would be best an older RWD or something probably GM and easy to repair.
    I'm still waiting for prices and release dates. The Mazda is top in it's class tho and has a spare tire which means a lot if you get a flat in the middle of nowhere. ;)
  • nwngnwng Member Posts: 663
    why don't you get a used impreza and work on it?
    why don't you get a used impreza and work on it?

I prefer to buy new most of the time but we are thinking of doing RallyX when we get back and I have some inexpensive options in the RWD category.
    For me I'm probably going to pass on the EVO this time around $40K is not what I want to spend for any car.
    I'd rather buy a used one and work on it but parts can run into serious bucks as well.
    We need reliable daily drivers and I have to figure if I have room for a 3rd car as the driveway is long and narrow you couldn't fit a Hummer down the driveway for example and there isn't much room to move cars around when you get to the house. So one car in storage possibly but it would make plowing in the winter a nightmare as that's the only place to put the snow. I might look into some alterations but I cannot move the stonewalls around anymore.
    Just not enough room to park without cutting down trees and the like. I'll have to see when i get back, maybe if I could actually use the garage for a car.... :surprise: :blush:
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    isn't that what a garage is for, for parking a car? :blush:

It can be tough depending on how much stuff we all want to park in our garage besides cars, huh?

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

It can be tough depending on how much stuff we all want to park in our garage besides cars, huh?

Yeah tell me about it but my elderly aunt does not like to see cars in the garage and prefers to store wood for the fireplace in there. :confuse:
    But I will try and sort that out. For me a garage is where you store your car not your other stuff although most of my stuff has been stored in the garage while i've been out of the country for over 4 years. :shades:
    Women always seem to see any flat space as a table and any room that doesn't contain their stuff is a place to put more of their stuff. That's why we lose the garages to them. :sick:
  • rastfoxrastfox Member Posts: 16
    The Current Evo has an RS model that starts at $28.6 MSRP, and you can get one off the lot for right around 28K I have checked, The new Evo will likely be priced very much the same as the current. Which means if you can live with a stripper missing things like power windows, the huge spoiler, a stereo ect, then it offers the best bang for the buck, and it's also the lightest of the Evo's.

The base Evo IX starts at 31.4K MSRP and even with the Special Edition package you can get one off the lot for around 32K.

The Evo is not a $40,000 car, Even an MR with all the options is currently going of the lot for under $35,000 if you bargain properly.

If that is still out of your price range then it is still out of your price range, and you will need to figure out what works for you.

There should be a Ralliart Lancer soon as well, Rumors are AWD and a turbo 4 making around 230 HP, priced to compete with the stock WRX, which would be around 24~26K I should think. For that matter there is always the stock WRX, and the MS 3, is a nice car, it looses to the Stock Evo IX by almost 1.5 seconds on a 0~60 sprint,( EST 4.6 seconds Evo and 6.0 seconds MS 3) and the 3 looses the handling war badly, but for the cost it's a very nice little car.

Oh for those who have yet to see someone leaked the JDM sales brochure for the Evo X it's out on the net, It looks like a range from 3150~3400 lbs, and a listed engine output of 276 hp and 311 ft lbs, keeping in mind the old 276 hp gentleman's agreement in the JDM market, I would guess 300 hp is the real figure. The worst news seems to be a weight gain of around 120 lbs for the heaviest version of the car, it's around 3280 lbs for the current Evo IX. And 120 lbs is not as bad as it might have been, seeing as the base car picked up just over 200 lbs.
    The Current Evo has an RS model that starts at $28.6 MSRP, and you can get one off the lot for right around 28K I have checked, The new Evo will likely be priced very much the same as the current. Which means if you can live with a stripper missing things like power windows, the huge spoiler, a stereo ct, then it offers the best bang for the buck, and it's also the lightest of the Evo's.

For a 2006 model no way I'd go with an RS model. They are good but too much hassle for everyday use.

The base Evo IX starts at 31.4K MSRP and even with the Special Edition package you can get one off the lot for around 32K.
    The Evo is not a $40,000 car, Even an MR with all the options is currently going of the lot for under $35,000 if you bargain properly.

Correct me if I'm wrong but all of these are labelled as 2006 models which makes them 2 years old even if they have no miles on them. The depreciation I would take driving one off the lot at any price above invoice would be insane. Factor in that you lose $5-6K your first year and about $3K the next and the figures just don't add up. It's still a2 year old car for a new price.
    A Speed 3 is brand new and fast so a possibility but it's the AWD I like. For me Subaru has lost the plot and I won't be buying one.
    The new EVO is rumored to be under 40$K but for me $36K is not under $40K in car terminology.
    I think the new EVO X looks great, but I will need a car prior to spring of 2008.
    If I knew the prices of the EVO X it would help. What would also help is if the dealers wouldn't put markup on the car.
    I'm still a few months out from my trip back to the US but
    once i'm there I'll see about a deal on an older model if new and also check out the EVO X if it's available.
    A Speed 3 is not out of the question even tho I prefer AWD or RWD.
  • rastfoxrastfox Member Posts: 16
    Correct me if I'm wrong but all of these are labelled as 2006 models which makes them 2 years old even if they have no miles on them. The depreciation I would take driving one off the lot at any price above invoice would be insane.

Evo's are a specialty car they go by model and not by year, and it's not uncommon for them to go well over a year on a model. So I guess they might be considered 2006's but that's more of an arbitrary designation with a car like this. The other good news is they are limited production, and the last good news is that they are sports cars, they do a pretty good job of retaining value. For instance if I do a used car evaluation on a 2003 Evo with 50,000 miles, in clean condition comes up with around $19K for private party sale. If I do the same with KBB it comes out to be about 21K. Some other cars like the RSX and the RX7 did amazing jobs holding their value as well.

It looks like prices will be about the same so baring massive dealer markups I would expect a normal trim Evo to be priced around 32~33K with decent equipment on it.

Failing that it's hard to say when the less powerful rumored to be AWD+Turbo Ralliart will be out, but I expect around 230 hp and a price of around 25K if it comes out, Also the new WRX non STi would be a good choice.

I just started the first good job of my life, and I am looking at these cars as well.
  • tiff_ctiff_c Member Posts: 531
    Evo's are a specialty car they go by model and not by year, and it's not uncommon for them to go well over a year on a model. So I guess they might be considered 2006's but that's more of an arbitrary designation with a car like this. The other good news is they are limited production, and the last good news is that they are sports cars, they do a pretty good job of retaining value. For instance if I do a used car evaluation on a 2003 Evo with 50,000 miles, in clean condition comes up with around $19K for private party sale. If I do the same with KBB it comes out to be about 21K. Some other cars like the RSX and the RX7 did amazing jobs holding their value as well.

I understand Steve's point you are still buying a car which is a 2006 model designation and that's all some people will care about when it comes time to sell it, also resale value is lower in the real world because many people fear the car has been beaten, raced etc.... and let's be honest, many have. ;)
    With pricing no way to know for sure until it's announced and that's probably a while off yet. I have an older Rex and it's a great car, but the Mazdaspeed 3 looks very tempting and I have a sedan and would like a wagon. I could drive the new model but I tend to steer clear of first year models. Maybe in 6-8 months they'll have any kinks worked out.
This discussion has been closed.