Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mistubishi Lancer EvoX

igor2igor2 Member Posts: 148
edited March 2014 in Mitsubishi
Well I just thought this discussion was missing ( I was not able to find it).. and the fact that I fould some prelim renderings/pictures.. I though I Will start it...

Here is a link to the pictures:
http://imgs.pravda.sk/sk_aaktual/A050824_P21_MITSUSPOTB01_V.JPG

http://imgs.pravda.sk/sk_aaktual/A050824_P21_MITSUSPOTB02_V.JPG

http://imgs.pravda.sk/sk_aaktual/A050824_P21_MITSUSPOTB03_V.JPG

http://imgs.pravda.sk/sk_aaktual/A050824_P21_MITSUSPOTB04_V.JPG

http://imgs.pravda.sk/sk_aaktual/A050824_P21_MITSUSPOTB05_V.JPG

source: Slovak Daily Pravda www.pravda.sk

Also this is an european source so there is a chance of changes to the body or a whole concept when crossing the Atlantic...

And finally, I am not sure how long the source keeps the pictures up, after the article gets dated, so I apologize if they do dissapear (the article came up today, so that should take a while, though).

Igor

Comments

• 1racefan1racefan Member Posts: 932
    is that it looks heavy. Not quite as light weight and "clean" looking as the current model.
  • chris65amgchris65amg Member Posts: 372
    It doesn't look as svelte. It reminds me forcibly of the R-Class.... although it could probably fit inside of an R-Class
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    Apparently, from the schnozz, Audi now owns part of Mitsu!
    ;-]
    looks more European than Japanese. I would think this would appeal more to an older crowd than the current EVO.
    Considering what they've done to the Eclipse, I think you may be on to something there, racefan.

I don't dislike the overall concept here, though I'm not excited about it either. It does look heavier to me, but I think I'd call that more "solid" looking. Looks kinda tough.

Actually, the more I look at it, the more it reminds me of the A3, only nowhere near as appealing (IMO, of course).
    some specs and pricing on it. I would like to know the "bang for the buck factor"!!!
  • igor2igor2 Member Posts: 148
    well I re-read the article, that there are none.
    IT will be offically revealed as a Sportback concept in Frankfurt in a month... The only spec they mentioned are 18" wheels....

blah...

sorry for no help...

but I think you guys are onto something with mentioning Audi influence.. The front grill definitely resonates, and Sportback is an Audi designation..

lastly, as expected and already known, it's the same platform as Dodge Caliber.
    Is it going to be the EVO X, or the next Ralliart Sportback? This design would make a good Ralliart Sportback, but not so good of a next generation EVO in my opinion.
  • igor2igor2 Member Posts: 148
    Well. while the original source mentioned both names linked to the pictures, another source (a czech online auto mag www.auto.cz) mentioned the sportback as different from an upcoming evo.. we'll have to see I guess..

Igor
  • caballero1caballero1 Member Posts: 14
    I'm debating between a STI and an EVO, what I would like to kmow from current owners, first how much are your maint cost a year ( I read that the EVO maint is pretty expensive), How's the car holding up after a year, does it still have the same or close to new car zip, and what other problems have you guys encountered over the first year of ownership
  • caballero1caballero1 Member Posts: 14
    oh and how's the gas mileage ? I just bought a Nissan frontier big mistake BIG mistake
  • ejevoejevo Member Posts: 2
    Maintenance has been ok, but I have the dealer do oil changes @ $50 a pop (Mobil1). I have yet to have a scheduled maintenance done by the dealer - I've only got 18.3K miles on my 2003 EVO. Unscheduled maintenance has included running a new bead of sealer on a leaking oil pan (warranty), a warped driver's side rear view mirror replaced (warranty), and a clutch installation ($1300 Exedy twin disc + $690 installation) to replace a slipping stock clutch. Stock clutches are notoriously weak on these cars, and an aftermarket clutch is a necessity, although you can get the preferred ACT clutch for about $450. I've replaced the spark plugs about every 6K miles - the car runs so rich that they foul pretty quickly. A Vishnu "Cannonball" ECU reflash that supposedly leans it out hasn't helped noticeably. I've also had the diff + trans fluids changed due to my spirited driving. Bottom line - if anything breaks, you're in for some serious charges. Drive it like a Corolla and it should do you just fine. Drive it like it's meant to be driven, and you risk $500 warped rotor replacements, $2500 diff changes, $3500 transmission rebuilds, and $7000 turbo/engine repairs. If you're lucky like a majority of us are, and you track it, you'll only have brake pads and tire replacements (the stock ADVANS run $247/each).

Otherwise the car is holding up fairly well. I've got some rust appearing under the car, which other EVO owners have noticed on theirs, too. Not surprising for an upstate NY year-round driven EVO and a car that's undercoated just for the States. Still zippy, but the aftermarket clutches can be a bit rougher than the smooth stock clutch. You just have to pretend you're driving a WRC rally stage each day to work and then it makes it fun.

Gas mileage has been abysmal. During the winter I average around 16mpg city / 22mpg hwy. Summer is around 18mpg city / 24mpg hwy. Unfortunately I drive mostly city.

As a daily driver this car is punishing - I can't even imagine what an EVO RS owner goes through. I miss cruise control, I miss a smooth clutch engagement, and I miss a suspension that absorbs bumps rather than stiff-arms them. The power and laser-like steering almost make up for it, but how much can you use it in normal driving conditions? The track is where the perma-grin attaches to the EVO driver.

I'm currently debating between an RSX-S and an A3 as a civilized replacement for the EVO. Or... maybe in addition to the EVO. ;)

Courtesy of Autoweek. This is the EVO, and the Sportback resemblence is, of course, clear.

I like it. I prefer the Sportback shape, truth be told, but the rub is that this car should have been intro'd now. It makes the current Eclipse look antiquated as opposed to slightly retro. This rocks!

The article says the concept is a turbo-four (OK) mated to a 6-speed manumatic. The print said "clutchless", which translates to torque converter to me. WTH? Yeah, that'll go over real well in enthusiast circles! DSG I could understand...

Mitsu needs to get a new, medium-small displacement (3.0-3.2) DOHC six with an alloy block and heads into these kinds of cars. Pronto.

I do like the shape and proportions though. A lot. It's really grown on me in a very short time.
  • bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    "The article says the concept is a turbo-four (OK) mated to a 6-speed manumatic. The print said "clutchless", which translates to torque converter to me. WTH? Yeah, that'll go over real well in enthusiast circles! DSG I could understand..."

I think some sort of DSG is what we'll get.

"Mitsu needs to get a new, medium-small displacement (3.0-3.2) DOHC six with an alloy block and heads into these kinds of cars. Pronto."

Naah, that's what the Eclipse is for now that it's a de facto Galant coupe. The Evo will always be a 2.0 liter four as long as it's a homologated WRC car. 300hp off the GEMA block is plenty.
    The Eclipse has gone way too far that direction Bumpy. That's the problem with it. What the heck they were thinking putting that chunky 3.8L in there I'll never know.

My bad on saying "these cars". I would never suggest tainting the EVO itself; that's exactly the kind of thing that ticks me off.

If I'm ever gonna get in a Sportback, though, I really don't do fours, and from the looks and size and description, I might indeed like to be in a Sportback. I'd prefer a 3.0 all-alloy inline six, but a nice compact lightweight V will do.
  • probegtguyprobegtguy Member Posts: 6
    What a great looking car! Excellent job, Mitsubishi!

By 2007 it will be time for me to buy a new car and this will be it if the production Evo is close to the concept X. I hope, for Mitu's own sake, that they will offer it with a REAL transmission for REAL drivers, i.e. a 6-speed manual. I ain't getting no power-robbing, boring auto-tronic or CVT piece of garbage. My car must have 3 pedals!

The Evo and the STi are absolute gems among today's cars. The level of performance and leading edge technology for the money is unparalleled. And with the Evo's new styling, I will never look at another M3 again. Ever.

• kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    those taillights. They look like the eyes of a kid's toy robot. I even like the wing, which on today's EVO looks like it was glued on as a last-second thought.
  • callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    It's value will fall faster than DaimlerChrysler stock! This car persist ONLY due to the genuine love of car mags and owners. No marketing guru could make this car hot, only the real drivers know, and love it.

Note to Mitsu: THIS IS OFFICIALLY THE LAST CAR YOU HAVE OF ANY WORTH! DO NOT DROP THE CLUTCH! IF SOMEONE ASKS YOU, JUST SAY NO! NEVER! EVER! EVER!!

You've done a good thing. :shades: Now just don't screw it up! :mad: K?

DrFill
    Major BINGO on the lights. The bright trim bezels are silly.

The wing? Ho hum. If it has to have it to evoke the true EVO experience then so be it. I think it'd be cleaner and definitely more sophisticated without, but sophisticated was never what this car was about. Never needed to be.

Tranny? Unless they can come up with a rally-proven race tranny like Audi's DSG, they'd better stick with a 3-pedal 6M, says I.
    They need to be a smokey color - not this goofey clear/white color. Maybe a smokey, gray kind of carbon fiberish looking design?
  • rastfoxrastfox Member Posts: 16
    I have known about this car for a while there were a few leaked computer renderings almost a year ago, They showed the front bumper painted body color which IMHO looks better than the matte grey. I dont like the slight overhang of the hoodline on the headlights at the inner corners, either, I feel that should be trimed out just a bit so that the hoodline follows the contour of the lights more closely. Also I do not like the center slot of the hood, the way the indent crosses the front vents looks unnatural, sort of like something M.C. Escher would draw, because it creates the apperance that the back of the hood is lower than the front. Other than that I love the way this car looks, it reminds me of a very angry Honda Accord.

The Transmission in the show car is a 6 speed DSG, which for me is a welcome change it should provide slightly better performance than the 6 speed manual because it engages one clutch while disengaging the other, thus providing perfect shifts every time at a speed few humans could hope to match. The paddle shifters are tons of fun, also being able to drop into auto shift mode for tooling around town is a bonus.

The inside of the concept-X is sexy it has a racing wheel with the flat cutout at the bottom for added leg clearance. It's very simple in soft matte black with aluminium trim, very serious looking and high rent looking compared to the current car, It actualy reminds me of the Audi TT interior and the Mini Cooper Interior which is not at all a bad thing.

Mitsu has apperently stated that the output for this version of the Trusty 4G63T engine is well north of 300 HP, that there will be extensive lightweight aluminium bodywork, and that the new car will have upgraded AWD.

The rumors I heard with the leaked computer renderings were, 329 hp, AWD system borrowing heavily from the WRC cars, and a weight drop of as much as 300 lbs compared to the outgoing body style. No word on any other tech going into the production ca, However seeing as the Audi tearm DSG was used to describe the tranny I would like ti see Direct Injection with a lean burn mode for the Highway tossed into the mix as well.

I seriously hope that the production Evo X stays close to the concept. I REALY want this car.
    DSG me likey muchly. I'd like the thing in production, say, yesterday?
  • objectiveviewobjectiveview Member Posts: 72
    Mitsubishi is developing a new 2.0 4cyl turbo engine for this car.....duno if its gonna be the 4G63 anymore, hp estimate sounds like it would be about right though
    and seeing as WRC cars now have to use all mechanical diffs, I doubt any GSR verion would be "borrowing heavily" from the rally car. I suppose theyd just continue to develop their current 4wd system, which is already quite good. The only version that might use all mechanical diffs would be an RS version.

And mistsubishi better make a manual transmission an option, if not standard and forget about this automatic business
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    Will the Evo X actually be here in the fall of 2006, or will it be 2007? I hope sooner than later.
  • kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    Nothing against manuals - I have one; but I rather have the option of being lazy, or comfortable in heavy traffic, or make perfect shifts.

Also I have to imagine there is a steering advantage of having both hands turning a wheel, rather than trying to steer with 1 hand and shift with the other at the same time.
  • ryallsryalls Member Posts: 2
    I Know The Specs:
    175Mph
    4 Cyl
    0-60 In 4.4 Secs
    :):D
  • axelaxel Member Posts: 7
    Great looking, great specs, will be a reasonable price... will definitely bump off G35, IS350, 350Z, etc. off my list for my next car!! :)
  • ryallsryalls Member Posts: 2
    Do u know the specs of next years scooby STI :shades:
    I love this quote from Automobile.com prior to the Tokyo show...

New Mitsubishi Concept X to Wow Tokyo Showgoers

This is the car that will make Mitsubishis stand at the 39th Tokyo Motor Show buzz with action. This is the car that will lure in crowds like a moth to a bug-zapper. This is the car that will make children, teenagers and grown adults alike drool uncontrollably. This is the car that the rally world has long been waiting for, and will have fanatics lobbying Mitsubishi to build it. And now it is here - Mitsubishis Concept X - the preview to the next-generation Evolution X.

Yeah Baby !!!!
    After much searching there will in fact be a new engine in the Evo X, it will be a 2.0l Forged Aluminum block engine built by the GEMA plant in Dundee Michigan, GEMA is an joint effort of Mitsubshi, DCX and Hyundai, The engines built there will be 1.8L, 2.0L and 2.4L versions, The Hyundai Sonata already offers the 2.4L version. All of these engines feature some form of VVT.

Hopefully this engine will be reliable and quickly come to offer all the performance tuning bits that the 4G63T offers. One of the snipets I read did orginaly say that it would still be a 4G63T car, I am not so sure that ditching an engine like the 4G63T is a good thing.
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    I'm sure the block itself will be cast aluminum... no way would it be forged, there's no reason to do that.

You are probably thinking of pistons.

The iron block 4G63 has served Mitsubishi well for a very long time and it is extremely durable. However, I think that a well-engineered aluminum block could replace it and reduce weight.

~Colin
    The engine has a high-pressure, die-cast aluminum block. *must have been tired when I read it* :blush:

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/world-engine.html

That is the engine information I found, actualy a lot of the information sounds good.

And I already stated in my first post that I read rumors that the Evo X will weigh in as much as 300 lbs lighter than the Evo 9, which would put it just under 3000 lbs.

The 4G63 is stated in advertising by Mitsubshi as the highest output to displacement ratio engine in mass production. It realy is a gem of an engine, there are not that many 2.0L's out there that can be built to 400+ hp and still run reliably, look at the FQ400, you even get a warranty. In the last tuner shootout review I saw, several Evo's with roughly 550 WHP participated, that is flat out amazing.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    That is such a slick looking body shape. Kudos to Mitsu for such an aggressive design. Sounds like they are putting 100% effort into building a knockout of a car...
  • callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    They better what it.

DrFill
  • thanio5thanio5 Member Posts: 1
    you i have to be honest see
    i see all the stats and i see everybody raving about the imports specifically this evo lancer thing man listen i will admit that lancers are nice cars i drive one my self but that thing dose not stand a chance against my trans am
    they ay that the big boys dont handle well i disagree ive taken tight turns at 75mph and tires didn't even screech
    i have had lancers and other imports try to race me but i leave em miles back literally i once burned a evo lancer so bad he literally disappeared in my rear view i have been on race tracks and raced these wanna be import racers and these guys literally spend 10's of thousands on these cars just to get to 400hp and they still dont stand up to us big boys because they keep breaking down
    see you can upgrade a trans ams handling for less than
    4grand and up your hp to 5 to 700hp for 5grand more
    it has only cost me 6 grandto upgrade to about 600hp and i have had no engine trouble because trans ams mustangs cand vets are built for hp and torq untill i see a import
    that can stand up to the big boys for real ill never respect them as sport cars
    One problem kid:

You can't buy a Trans AM anymore... ;) They followed the Mullet and "MEMBERS ONLY" jackets out the door years ago. The new Camaro isn't due until 2010 so oops, there goes that idea...

BTW, are you aware that there is currently a 400hp EVO in Europe that will pull 0-60 in 3.6 seconds. Top Gear ran laps against a Lamborghini Murc. and found the EVO to be just as fast through the course, if not quicker... Try that in an F-body :blush:
  • evorsevors Member Posts: 7
    Hey has ayone had any serious problems with their Evo RS? Cuase I think I might get one and trade in my STi.Cause no matter what people say about the Sti I still prefer the Evo.By the way the Evo X looks sweet!
    It's not an RS, but I have had no problems whatsoever with my '03 Evo with 31,000 miles on the clock and coming up on 2 years of ownership.

I would not buy an Evo RS unless it was for a racecar. And I mean real, bonafide non-highway use. Even then I'd have second thoughts because it doesn't have ABS which for tarmac, if the sanctioning body allows it, is a huge advantage. You don't need it for rallying though which is what the Evo RS was born to do.

~Colin
    Would anyone reccomend any other car besides the Evo cause the STi is fine but it's just getting to old for me. Basically I dont like it any more and i just want a new car. So before I fork over 20 grand anyone else have a recomendation.
    Well, what don't you like about your STi? If you're not picky, almost anything will do. :D

~Colin
    Well its not that i dont like my STi its just that I'm getting tired of it. It may be comfortable for the day but last time I went out I got smoked by an Evo :mad: . SO now I want an Evo.
    it was probably modified. maybe you should just modify your STi.

a stock Evo won't "smoke" a stock STi assuming similar drivers are in both cars.

~Colin
    Well thats the problem you see i'm to darn broke to modify it and besides I cant even afford a body package to take out the dents. and the dealer i talked to gave me a quote and said that it would be less to buy the Evo RS and trade it in(the STi)...and I'm gonna its just that I cant decide what color to put it in. By the way the dealer also showed me the car payment I would have to make. And its lower than the STi payment that I'm makin now. Which I just got payed off yesterday. SO now I'm not rolled in debt. Thank the lord.And by the way again what color do think it should be in?
    By the way again dudes I just traded in the Sti and bought the Evo RS and it took me a little while to get used to the seats but now I love it!!!!!!!!! Haha! And by the way thans for your help everyone in deciding cause instead of a black STi with silver rims I'm drivin a Black Evo RS. yes many people say the seats hurt but I love em! And of course then engine. I got payed today and I am so phycked that tommorow I'm gonna do nothin but drive it around and blow some doors off....by the way you were right dude a Evo cant smoke an STi but if you make sure you tune it up a bit then it will...I actually took out some old parts from my STi and kept them...the dealership didn't care. And now everything is fast and furious. and well I cant wait till the third movie comes out.SEE yall later I'm gonna be early for work.
  • mylegacymylegacy Member Posts: 38
    Great looking car.
    Happy with the Legacy GT now
    But if the EvoX/Sportback got the whole package, bye bye Legacy. Heck I might even keep the Legacy.

EvoX = 3000lb.?
    Faster n handles better than M3?
    Price around of a Z350?
    Someone mentioned 0-60 4.4sec? i don't about that,maybe 5.4

Hey Mitsubishi! For a sport sedan somewhat luxary car buyer
    Make sure to include audio/cd control on the steering wheel, mp3 player, leather and maybe heated/cooled seats.
    And no Mazda3's gauge!! It's too abstract. :confuse:

The dual exhaust tips on the EvoX looks great, but not the twin tips on the Sportback. Anyway, very promising car.
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    So a half-second improvement is reasonable, if the AWD system improves, power increases, and weight is kept in check.

I feel the aluminum content will increase, interior materials and exterior styling improve greatly, and hopefully weight will stay under 3200lbs. (I think 3k is not realistic).

DrFill
    Will the concept make it the NY Auto show next month? I am really looking forward to checking this thing out... :D
    from C @ D Review "With the Evo IX MR, we saw 60 mph in 4.6 seconds and the quarter-mile in 13.4 seconds at 104 mph."

But yes generaly most sites are posting a sub 5 second 0 to 60 sprint, 5.4 is considerably slower than the current Evo's capabilitys.

The Evo has 3 big advantages over most cars, even those with more power, when it comes to posting those smoking 0 to 60 times. the first is that it is an all wheel drive car, the Evo launches hard and with a minimum of wheel spin compared to an RWD or FWD car. The next is that it has fairly square torque and HP numbers, and the power band is very flat, espicaly the torque curve, this means when you shift you dont drop out of the peak power band, and finaly the Evo is very light it weighs in at 3260 lbs. The 2005 Corvette has an est curb weight of 3245 lbs, the 2005 Mustang GT weighs 3450, and the 2005 Charger SRT-8 tips the scales at 4266 lbs.

Also DrFill Mitsubshi has stated they are going to use a lot more aluminum in the Evo X, and that they hope to reduce the weight by as much as 300 lbs, that is where the 3000 lb estimate is coming from. The new GEMA 2.0l engine is an aluminium block which should save a good chunk of weight right there. The interior pictures I have in an Car and Driver are black matt finish and aluminium trim, it looks very audiesque, I suspect they are pictures are the interor of the Evo X concept car.
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    I'm not holding my breath.

But if they can exceed 300HP, reduce weight by even 200 lbs., produce an interior anything close to the WRX's, and still carry 4 people comfortably, and stay under $35k, I might have to sell the house and move on into an Evo X! ;)

DrFill
This discussion has been closed.