Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Acura RL Lease Questions

Comments

• CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi diesel3. It is difficult for me to comment on this deal without knowing this car's selling price and MSRP. These are important numbers for you as a consumer to know for two reasons. First, the selling prices of leased vehicles can be negotiated, just as if you were paying cash for them. Without knowing this car's selling price in relation to its MSRP you don't know how much of a discount you are getting on it. The second reason is that one needs the selling price and MSRP, including the destination charge, of a vehicle to calculate its lease payment. I would be more than happy to give you my opinion of this deal if you let me know what these numbers are.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper / Prices Paid Forums
    Hello rshaffer1. The lease money factor that you were quoted to lease this car is right in line with Honda Finance's buy rate factor for it. This is a good sign because it means that the dealer that you are working with is not trying to mark your car's factor up to add additional back-end profit to your deal. It is difficult for me to give you my opinion on the selling price that you were quoted though without knowing this car's full MSRP. Let me know what this number is and I will tell you what I think.

Car_man
    Host
    Birdbird, your car's lease payment will depend upon what sort of a selling price you are able to negotiate. Let's say that you were able to negotiate a selling price of $42,829 on a 2005 Acura RL that has a full MSRP of $49,715. This is $1,000 over dealer invoice minus the $2,500 dealer cash that is available on this car right now. Using these prices, I estimate that this car should have a 36 month, 12,000 miles per year zero down, pre-tax monthly payment of around $568. As I said though, the exact payment that you are able to get will depend upon the selling price that you negotiate. For additional information on what sort of selling price you should pay for an RL right now, stop by the following discussion: "Acura RL: Prices Paid & Buying Experience".

Car_man
    Host
  • aussiem8aussiem8 Member Posts: 27
    Car_Man, I'm considering leasing a 2005 RL. MSRP (incl dest. charge) is $49,670, sell price is $42,500. Want 36 month lease, 15,000 miles/yr, zero down (I'm assuming that zero down doesn't apply to the acquisition & doc fees??). What would be the money factor (assuming excellent credit), residual % and monthly pre-tax lease payment? Also left you similar questions on an A4 posted on that car's lease forum. Thanks mate.
  • birdbirdbirdbird Member Posts: 63
    Hi Car_Man,

The Honda Finance Lease deal on 05 RLs at their web site expired October 31 with no lease offers now listed. Are your sources telling you anything about any new leasing program coming along for 2006 RLs?

Thanks.
    I stand corrected. I see there is a lease deal on the 05 listed at the web site. I think it works out to about $750.00 per month if you roll everything including sales tax into the payments. But what about 06 models? I am guessing there won't be any good lease for quite a while on an 06 model?
    Hi aussiem8. If you were to lease a 2005 Acura RL through Honda Finance in November for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00260 and 54%, respectively assuming that you qualify for its "Super Preferred" credit tier and pay a security deposit at lease signing. Using these numbers, an MSRP of $49,670 and a selling price of $42,500, I estimate that this car's zero down, pre-tax monthly payment should be around $616.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi birdbird. In November, Acura is not providing any sort of lease support on either the 2006 or 2005 RL. It did continue the $2,500 dealer cash that is has been providing dealers on the 2005 model. This cash will help you to negotiate an attractive capitalized cost if you decide to lease. It is difficult to say when Acura will introduce any sort of support on the 2006 RL, but I personally doubt that it will be before the new year.

Car_man
    Host
  • corradcorrad Member Posts: 6
    Hi Car_Man, I am contemplating of leasing for the first time, and have begun to learn the ins and outs. But I am still confused by how monthly payments are determined. According to the example you provided in message #59, if the selling price is $42,500, money factor of .0026 and a residual value of 54%, the monthly payment is $616. However, when I plug in those numbers into the lease payment calculator that is provided on this website, I get a monthly lease payment of $724.16, not including taxes.

tia.
  • zarethustrazarethustra Member Posts: 18
    Car_man this question is for you.

I'm wondering what the residual and money factor on a 05 RL should be in the following scenarios:

12K year 36 months and 39 months
    15K year 36 months and 39 months

Thanks in advance.

If you answer this, one other thing, where are you getting your information ?

FCC
  • csbrowncsbrown Member Posts: 1
    hello i've been looking long and hard at the acura rl for quite some time now . when looking at other comments people have been putting up it seems they are getting it close to cost or cheaper . what i'm wondering is can you negiotiat the price of the car and then tell them you want to lease it or is it at a set price . example on acura .com they have 36 months for 599 a month with all the other factors in . with 8000 down 1) i'm wondering could i get a better price on a least ? or should i just go ahead and buy it . one lady i talked to who owns hers said through the internet she was able to get a better deal at buying and paid 42,000 with about 6,000 down that doesn't seem possible . is it cheaper to buy or lease ?
  • zarethustrazarethustra Member Posts: 18
    The final sales price seems to depend on where you live in the US. I live in the midwest and the best price I have been able to negotiate is around 42,900. I had Internet offers from CA fro 41,750, but I would have to get the car here somehow.

When negotiating the price, remember there is a 2500 direct to dealer factory cash right now, so you should be able to buy in the 42,xxx range.

As to your primary question, yes you can get a best price and then negotiate a lease based on that price. You should be able to do better then the 599 deal Acura is offering.

If you get the money factor and residual value for the lease term you are interested in, you can go to the following web site to get a good idea what your monthly lease rate should be:
    http://www.leaseguide.com/calc.htm

I'm finding it difficult to find the colors I want, black or white. Silver seems to be the most abundant color. I believe inventories are running low now and wouldn't wait much longer on pulling the trigger.
  • rxrxrxrxrxrx Member Posts: 4
    I just got a 36 month least on the 06 RL....Terms were 36 months/18000miles per year/0 down.

Ended up with $725.90/month with $1670 up front cost.

Hope this helps anyone out there.
    Hi corrad. If you need to know how leasing works, I've got the articles for you. You definitely should check out them out before visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

As far as the specific lease payment that I estimated earlier goes, I just double checked my calculations and again came up with $616 per month. The lease calculator that is available on this site is a little confusing because I believe that there is no place to manually input vehicles' MSRPs. Instead you have to select a vehicle from a list and the MSRP is put in automatically. This may be part of the problem. Also, the lease calculator on this site seems to automatically add sales tax into lease payments. All of the payments that I mention in these discussions are before tax, which would make them lower.

Car_man
    Host
    Hello zarethustra. Here is the information that you are looking for. If you were to lease a 2005 Acura RL through Honda Finance right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00260 and 54%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 39 month lease should be .00260 and 48%. If you were to lease this car with only 12,000 miles per year, its residual values would be 2% higher.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi csbrown. The selling prices of leased vehicles are absolutely negotiable. Negotiate as good a selling price as you can on the Acura RL that you want and then have the dealer calculate its lease payment for you.

Did you say that the advertised lease that you saw for this car included a $8,000 down payment?!?! I think that you misread the advertisement. The advertised lease payment that I have seen for this car only requires a $2,500 down payment, and even that is too much. I always advise consumers against making any sort of down payment when leasing. I do so for two main reasons. The first is if your vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen during your lease, your insurance company pays off the bank that you were leasing it through and your down payment essentially disappears. The second main reason is that down payments on leased vehicles do nothing to reduce their lease-end purchase prices. So your lease-end purchase option price for your RL would be exactly the same, regardless of whether you had put several thousand dollars down, or had made absolutely no down payment at all.

Acura is not providing any sort of lease support on the RL right now. As a result, if you were to lease one through Honda Finance, you would have to use its standard lease program. Its standard lease money factor for a 36 month lease is currently .00260, which is equivalent to an interest rate of around 6.25%. This is probably around the same rate that you would have to pay to finance this car. There's nothing wrong with leasing an RL, but there certainly is no advantage to doing so. Whether you decide to finance, lease , or pay cash for this car make sure to take the $2,500 dealer cash that is currently available on it info account when negotiating its selling price.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi Car_man:

Do dealers or Honda Finance have any problem with letting you incorporate into the least an accessory like their rear view camera? I was thinking that if it needs to be screwed in or something that they might not want to do it cause it might hurt resale potential. Can you tell me what to expect on that?

Also, at the Acura web site they now have both the 2005 and 2006 RL on the same type of lease offer. What's up with that?

Thanks!
  • hannabhannab Member Posts: 26
    The current '06 RL lease offer of $599 for a 36/10K lease is MSRP $49915; Cap Cost = 44,127; cap cost reduction = 2,500; and acquisition fee of 595. Payoff at end of lease is 29,500 which I am taking as the residual. Using these figures I calculate the money factor as about .00342 or 8.2%. This seems very high to me. Are my figures correct?
    Thanks
    We need to get car_man's opinion on this, but I think the monthly payment right now, with tax included, work work out to be about $750.00 per month. At least with the sales tax rate in my area. I think it's interesting that both the '05 and '06 are listed at the same lease deal, I think.

Car_man, do you think Acura will come out with a more enticing deal in December and what time of the month should we expect their offer to change or not?
    The lease payment I am talking about would be including tax in my area and with a walk off (meaning the amount due at signing) of about $1100.00. I am wondering if they will be sweetening their offer in a few days?
    That's a good question, birdbird. You should be able to add just about any dealer-installed option to your car that you want. Having said this, it can be expensive to add options like the one that you mentioned to leases because these items usually cannot be residualized. This means that you will have to pay for their entire cost over the course of your lease. Let's say that you are leasing an RL for 36 months and want a $2,000 dealer-installed option. This option would increase your lease payment by $55.56 a month. I noticed that Acura has the same advertised lease payment on both the 2006 and 2005 RL on its site. I guess that the 2006 model's residual values are so much higher than the 2005 model's are right now that they can advertise the same payment on it without any dealer cash.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi hannab. Your calculations are a little off, Honda Finance's current 36 month buy rate lease money factor for the 2006 RL is only .00260.

Car_man
    Host
    Hey birdbird. Acura's November lease program on the 2006 RL is scheduled to run though January 3rd. It has not made any sort of December enhancement to its lease program for this car yet and unfortunately I don't expect it to.

Car_man
    Host
  • rlsrljrlsrlj Member Posts: 13
    I just noticed that the lease deal has bee extended to Jan 31 '06. I am wondering if the 36 month/ 599 a month/3600 down is their best deal or can I negotiate lower amount for say a 42 month lease?
    Hi rlsrlj. Most manufacturers' advertised lease payments leave a little meat on the bone so to speak. I believe that Acura's current advertised lease on the 2006 RL is based upon a selling price that it around $1,700 over dealer invoice. This is not bad for a car that has a spread of over $5,000 between its full MSRP and invoice prices, however if you are in an area where there is a decent level of competition for your business I would not be surprised if you were to negotiate another $500 or $1,000 off. Doing so will lower this car's lease payment. A longer lease will likely lower its lease payment as well.

Car_man
    Host
    Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, There is only one Acura dealer in my area. I guess I can travel out of state or go to Huntsville. I really need the payments to be in the mid 500's..but I hate to put as much money down as the deal requires: 3600... This car may just be to expensive for me :(
  • sam_ksam_k Member Posts: 200
    rlsrlj, IMHO you should never put down on a lease to bring the down the monthly payment amount to where you want it to be. God forbid your car is stolen or totalled, you lose all that money because your insurance company will pay the leasing company, not you. Gap insurance included in most leases will cover any amount that's not covered by insurance company so there's no reason to be money down, especially if the lease money factor (i.e. interest rate) is low. You should even put the taxes into the payment for the same reason. If you pay the taxes up front, you would lose that money also if something happens to the car.
    I agree..do you think the dealer would come down to 0 down, (just first month's lease..and so on) 560 a month for 48 months? They may even laugh at me if give them that offer. That would be for the RL-no tech package. Any insight on weather this deal is even possible, would be great. Leasecomparison.com doesn't get any where near this rate-around 700 a month. I remember when I first got my X-type Jag-they first qouted 900 a month-I got them down to 460 a month!

Basically I want this car for 0 down, 48 months, 12000 miles a year-at 560 a month-does anyone think this is possible?

Thanks!
  • whydidntwhydidnt Member Posts: 1
    Is there a good place I can go to find out the current residual value percentages used by Acura for leases on new '06 RLs? I'd like a 24 month / 30,000 mile lease, and would like to have as much info before I negotiate as possible. If a slightly longer lease would significantly decrease my cost, I'd consider it, but it seems I get itchy for a new car every couple years, so...
  • twmarktwmark Member Posts: 41
    Hi rlsrlj,

Did you ever negotiate your lease with zero down? I would be interested to see whatnyou were offered
    No I haven't yet...I still have my Jag with 12 months to go on the lease. I am afraid that if I include that as a trade in-I will pay much more than I should. I will do something by this spring or summer, I really do like the RL but I am not sure if I can get them to 0 down, 42 months, 12ooo miles per year at 569/month. That's the deal I need to get this car...
    You're very welcome, rlsrlj. Unfortunately, it's often tough to get a good deal on a vehicle when there is not a lot of competition.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi whydidnt. Here's the information that you're looking for. If you were to lease a 2006 Acura RL through Honda Finance right now for 24 months with 15,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be a scary .00380 and 64%, respectively. The numbers for a 36 month lease of this car are much more reasonable at .00260 and 55%. It looks like the 3 year term will result in a much lower lease payment than a 2 year lease will.

Car_man
    Host
  • 540dude540dude Member Posts: 38
    I was recently offered a 2006 RL for $500 above invoice in Northern New Jersey. The crappy .00260 money factor and the 55% residual value made the lease's monthly payment more than the $58,000 Infiniti M45 Sport that I am picking up on money. I got the M45 for $1K above invoice ($54,000), but with a .00161 money factor and 57% residual, the lease is cheaper than the RL. And because I have good credit, unlike the RL's lease, I do not have to put down a security deposit. Also, I just don't think that the RL, with its V6, is in the same performance class as the 335 horsepower V8 in the M45 Sport.
    Congratulations on your new Infiniti, 540dude. You're right, Acura's lease program on the RL is just not very attractive right now. Enjoy your new car!

Car_man
    Host
  • jacmdjacmd Member Posts: 2
    Want to lease '06 RL with Tech...basically the car had everything MSRP $53715. Inv. $47903. As a woman alone I felt I was treated matter of factly, however they did quote me for a 36 mo. lease NOTHING up front except 1st month plus tags AND bank fee...for 20k miles/yr. approx. $770 mo..which cluded the 9% PA tax. They gave me nothing in writing. Please tell me what is fair in this scenario so I can negotiate with them like a tiger !!!!
    Welcome jacmd. Since you are new to the world of leasing, you definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

As far as this specific deal goes, the two most important numbers for you as a consumer to focus on are this vehicle's selling price and the lease money factor that is being used to calculate its lease payment. Always remember that the selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were financing or paying cash for them. Shop around to find the best possible price on the RL that you want. You should be able to get an idea of what sort of price you will have to pay for one right now by visiting the following discussion: "Acura RL: Prices Paid & Buying Experience". Once you have negotiated an attractive selling price, have the dealer that you are working with calculate your car's lease payment using Honda Finance's "buy rate" lease money factor. This is the lowest possible money factor that is available for the model that you are interested in, without any fluff added by the dealer to add additional profit to your deal. Honda Finance's current 36 month buy rate lease money factor for this car is .00260 for consumers who qualify for its "Super Preferred" credit tier and pay a security deposit. If you opt to have your car's security deposit waived, increase this money factor by .00010.

So those are th basics on how to get a good deal on a lease of this car. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.

Car_man
    Host
  • edeanedean Member Posts: 2
    the dealer gave me these numbers:
    $45195
    36 month/12,000 miles- money factor 0.00207/Residual 54%

36 month/15/000 miles- money factor 0.00207/Residual 52%

39 month/12,000 miles- money factor 0.00270/Residual 57%

39 month/15,000 miles- money factor 0.00250/Residual 46

are these correct? and if so what would the leases work out to with NY tax at 8.5%
    Hi edean. Yes the lease money factors that you were quoted are correct for a lease of a 2006 Acura RL through American Honda Finance Corp. this month. The .00207 factor is a brand new special that Acura just introduced this month. In addition to this special money factor, Acura is providing $2,000 dealer cash on lease of this car through AHFC. Make sure to take this cash into account when negotiating your car's selling price. I would be happy to estimate what your lease payment should be for this car for you, but in order for me to do so I need you to provide me with its full MSRP.

Car_man
    Host
  • atomarchioatomarchio Member Posts: 9
    The list prices are:

2006 RL with Navigation System1 Starts at $49,300

2006 RL with Navigation System1 and Technology Package Starts at $53,100

I am very interested in what this comes out and would like to gain some understanding from you on how this works.

Please let us know. Thanks.
  • edeanedean Member Posts: 2
    the msrp for the rl w/o tech pkg is $49300.
    w/ tech pkg is $53100
  • cribnobcribnob Member Posts: 2
    Hi Car_man,

The sales person I'm working with at the dealer is telling me the $2,000 dealer cash on this lease does not exist ?

Is there anything I can print to prove it ?

I'm trying to negotiate a purchase price close to invoice and then use the $2,000 dealer cash as a cap cost reduction and plug the reduced price into the lease special.

Thanks,

CribNob
  • 330ximn330ximn Member Posts: 2
    I'm seriously thinking about moving up to the RL from my 330xi. I've been reading the lease information and I'm confused on what this means: "MSRP $49,915.00 (includes destination) less the suggested dealer contribution resulting in actual net capitalized cost $43,713.60. Dealer contribution may vary and could affect actual lease payment." It was part of the disclosure on the Acura site. Does it mean the actual lease is based on the $43,713 and the residual value at the end of the lease will be calculated from this price? Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. I'm new to leasing and not sure what to watch for and be cautious of.
  • roberts10roberts10 Member Posts: 14
    I just leased a brand new 2006 RL. ( No tech package and no extras) GREAT CAR!! Here is the deal I got. The MSRP was $49,900 with Dest chg. My cap cost was $44,000. My payment is $599.00 per month Tax included. I paid the 595 Fee to Amer. Honda Leasing, and the first months payment of $599.00 Plus Doc. fees (Title), and an added $300.00 in cap reduction. wrote a check for $1600.00 total for all of that. I have 35 pymts left of $599.00. I was given 10,000 miles per year for 3 years. Plus they took in my current Acura TSX 4 months prior to my current lease expiring.

I know Honda leasing is running a lease special for $599 plus tax plus fees and title.

Is that a decent deal I got? ? Please let me know... THANKS
  • leo11leo11 Member Posts: 9
    I think the deal is wonderful. Which state are you in? Houston Acura dealerships are asking for 2500 down. LS
    Greetings atomarchio. It sounds like you are new to the world of leasing. If so, you definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

I would be happy to estimate what your lease payments should be like on the cars that you mentioned, but in order for me to do so I need some additional information from you. This info includes these cars' approximate selling prices, how long you want to lease them for, and how many miles per year you need to be allowed to drive them. Let me know and I'll do some calculations.

Car_man
    Host
    Thanks for the additional information, edean. OK, so you are interested in leasing a 2006 Acura RL with an MSRP of $49,300 and a selling price of $45,195 through Honda Finance right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year. According to my calculations, your zero down, pre-tax monthly payment for this lease would be $690. Acura's special lease program for this car is only available for leases up to 36 months in length, so you really don't want to lease it for 39 months. The payment for an otherwise identical lease with only 12,000 miles per year would drop to around $665.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi CribNob. Acura is definitely providing $2,000 dealer cash on leases of the 2006 RL through Honda Finance right now. I personally wouldn't want to do business with a salesperson who would lie to my face like that. You really don't have to prove that this cash exists to them, both you and they know it does. The only question is whether they are going to use it to make a deal with you or not. If I was in your situation, I would tell the salesperson that i was working with to quit lying tot me or they are going to lose my business. If they didn't fess up, I would shop around and lease from a more honest dealer.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi 330ximn. The disclaimer that you pasted in your post means that "$43,713.60" is the amount that you are financing if you were to lease this car. It is equivalent to this car's selling price minus any capitalized cost reduction (aka down payment) that you make. This number has nothing to do with this car's residual value. Vehicles' residual values are always based upon a percentage of their full MSRPs (including destination charges).

Since you are new to the world of leasing, you definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

Car_man
    Host
  • mhg1mhg1 Member Posts: 3
    I was wondering if you could calculate the lease price for a 2006 RL with Tech. package. MSRP is $48903. Cap Cost is $53715, with zero down and includes 1st pmt, tax & tags, $95 dealer processing, $595 acquisition fee, destination charge, and 10K miles/yr.

We're in Maryland and trying out Costco "no haggle" car program. I'm not convinced it's the best yet.

Also, I have a 2002 MDX w/ touring package with 54K miles. Lease is up on this in June.

Sales says that the last 2 payments have to be made and never mentioned the Acura cash back on lease.
This discussion has been closed.