Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado - Continued XVI

meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
This topic is a continuation of Topic 2227....

Chevy Silverado - Continued XV. Please continue
these discussions here. Thanks!

Front Porch Philosopher
SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host

Comments

• obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    gotcha...
  • bcobco Member Posts: 756
    you *&%^*$!!! ;)

bco
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    Ha - that's just blue tape over the Gold BowTie.

If you want to paint it, just remove the grill and pop the BowTie out of the grill, then paint with enamel - not lacquer, or use paint for plastic models.

I think it is time to change the color to red.

Mike L
  • 99crewcab199crewcab1 Member Posts: 79
    I left it at home b/c I wasn't sure of the area. After living there for the past month, the area has been great. There's a couple of other guys up their with ados so I guess the place is fine. It's the PITTS not having it! Enough of this crap, I'm taking it. I'll Zaino it next week.
    PS: do you wash it it dawn, then claybar, then dawn again, or apply the wax directly after the claybar?
    Nick
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    my father in law had an 87? Sable a long time ago...and the de-ice button was the best feature of that car.....we are gonna have On-star and climate control in the Ado....why not De-icer!....I'd even leave on-star out for it!

- Tim
  • z71z71 Member Posts: 67
    thanks for all of the information. I think that buying all of the correct harnesses would be a little cost prohibitive for me, so if you don't mind, let me ask y'all a little more about running wires myself. blackmax200, do you think that it would be a good idea and a lot easier to buy the harness that plugs into the back of the switch and splice into it rather than trying to get into that little hole on the back of the switch? Careyace, what did you connect the various wires to? (besides, obviously, the ground, accessory, etc). And let me get this straight, blackmax200; A is unused
    B is ground
    C is power to accessory
    D is power from dash lights
    E is to the little orange dot, but where do you connect it?
    F is power in
    thanks again for all of y'alls help!
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Supercrew came back in today twice. Truck did sit high but after that first load it sat lower. AFter each load it sat lower and lower empty.

Also put a pallet of bricks into a station wagon today. Still cant beleive that one.

Ryan
    dawn, clay, dawn, z1, (without wiping off z1) either z2 or z5. Let dry competely, then z6.

Have fun!!
    let z2 or z5 dry competely, wipe off, then z6 as final wipe down.
    better luck next time...LOL

Dean
    ..malms polish Cleaner
    ..Ulta fine #10
    ..malms wax...

http://www.malms.com/

- Tim
  • iwactiwact Member Posts: 25
    I've got my Leer canopy, and rocker panels on now.
    I updated my page with 4 new pictures.
    2000 GMC Sierra Z71

Have fun.
    Randy
  • careyacecareyace Member Posts: 44
    If you can get the harness to plug into the switch I think that it would be worth it.As far as where my pins went it sounds like the are two switches are completly different,as I had five pins and yours has six pins and the loox to be in a different pattern so you may want to follow the diogram blackmax200 gave you in chevy silverado xv post# 685.
    The reason I didnt use the harness when I did mine is the cost so I solderd mine,but if the cost is not to bad I would use that part of the harness that goes to the switch.
    Good luck with the project,
    Andrew
    I forgot to say,to light up the little orange light just jumper a wire from the wire that goes to your accessory you want the switch to operate to the wire or pin that runs your orange light.
    Andrew
  • blackmax200blackmax200 Member Posts: 255
    I had thought of building my own harness off of the 12171974 harness(29.19 List) and this would probably work out quite well. I just wanted it to be "plug and pray" and by the time I got into it and realized what I was doing was too far along, I just continued, ('member I said I was anal?). So to answer your question, Yes it could be done that way.

According to the wiring diagram I am looking at here, the gray wire goes to the dim output of the "body control module(on lower left side of dash below steering column)",read computer(!), the purple/white wire goes to the same place, the black wire goes to ground behind the upper left kick panel, the orange wire is power from the mid bussed electrical center and you will find a SEO 1 fuse in the fuse panel under the hood ( the SEO 2 fuse is for the power through the relay contacts), the white wire goes out to trigger the relay.

IF YOU TIE THE purple/white and white wires TOGETHER,(so that you are not disturbing too much of the computer perriferal wiring), you may have to solder a diode in your line to keep the power from back feeding and holding the aux lamp relay on/closed. As I look at the diagram, it appears that there is an internal circuit within the switch that is a trigger to a transistor that turns on the LED orange dot. If you play with transistor circuits, this should be a snap.

It may be easier to scrap the whole thing and start from scratch with an aftermarket switch like Mike did. You can catch his work back on XV #688 or go to

http://community.webshots.com/user/mledtje

Let us know how you make out

matthew
    BTW still looking for a Pre-runner style light bar for new body style....anybody seen something?
  • rwagonerrwagoner Member Posts: 338
    Anyone use both? Just curious as to the results. I have searched, but cannot find one negative comment about Zaino (haven't tried the same with Malms).

Richard
    Nice truck. One question how much did your cap cost??? just curious thanks

Ryan
  • z71z71 Member Posts: 67
    Thanks again for the info...I don't think that I will scrap the project. I like stuff that is different and a little challenging. Besides, I already bought the switch. I may try to get the harness that you are talking about...all of that talk of diodes, etc, kinda went over my head, blackmax200. I have done some wiring, but nothing that involved. Careyace, what did you tap into to make the switch dim with the dimmer switch? Also, you said that you could just use a jumper wire to the orange dot. Did this not cause problems by having too much power running to it? Thank y'all again for the info.
    P.S. Blackmax200, About that prerunner bar, you might want to check www.lundinternational.com and look at the Smittybilt Outland Sport. I saw a pic of it in a magazine and it look somewhat like a prerunner style guard. I have not looked at the web site to see if it was on there or for applications, but that was the site that the magazine listed.
    Actually, in my opinion, there is a better wax than zaino, even if I use zaino. Check this out:

http://www.zymol.com/vintage.htm

but remember, for that price, you get unlimited refills.

All joking aside, zymol, has taken car cleaning and feeding to a new height in enhancing its product line. Maybe you'd like to start with :

http://www.zymol.com

and check out there whole website including SUV and truck specific cleaners and wax.

I would have continued to use this product except that the damn paint finish on these trucks can't justify the cost. But this is in my case. Yours may be different and more choices allow you to make a "better" decision. I have also used malms and have had good results. The only thing that I didn't care for was that I perspired a little more with the malms that with zaino. It comes down to whether you prefer carnauba or polymers.

Good luck!!
  • rwagonerrwagoner Member Posts: 338
    If you wax your car or truck enough, that could be a real bargain. For example, if you wax it every hour of every day ...
    first car I drove....was it that long ago...LOL

http://www.galaxieclub.com/members/368/fretter-1.html
    But Malms is what I'm used to...so it's what I like....and yes it can be more tiring...(no biggee)....but it's wax...not....well..whatever's in the other ones.

As said...all very good....once you get past the $5.99 off the rack...it's hard to really put any of them down...

- Tim
  • rcrowley1rcrowley1 Member Posts: 1
    Dealer says that Chevrolet will not offer two-tone option any more. He says that only GMC will offer the option. Can anyone back this up?
    Im not real sure what I went into to make them dim as I did not put that in my notes but if my memory serves me I went to the back of the dial switch to dim the dash lights and found the proper wire there.If you dont mind if they dont dim you can just hook it to your parking lights so they still come on with the park/head lihgts.

As for the orange dot,no you will not over load it as it is run off of your basic 12 volt system.

Im with you on that diode stuff,it went right over my head too.The info Im giving you is what I did in 1996,and about 3 weeks ago I talked to the guy who now owns that truck and the wiring is still all working perfect.
    Andrew
  • joelisjoelis Member Posts: 315
    I think that is what killed my last set of springs in the Z71. I hauled 3 loads of retaining wall brick (1 pallet at a time, about 2500lbs per pallet) last year. The truck was basically riding on the axle. I thought the Z71 could handle a bit more weight than the regular 1500, but I guess not. That is when the squeeking started with the rear springs (lost 2 inches in height too).

Bottom line is - a 1500 is really not made for that kind of abuse. Use a 2500 to haul pallets of stone (or use a trailer for that crap, or better yet - get Menards to deliver themselves...)
    last choice seems like the best. only thing we don't have menard's in my state....LOL
  • whitevette01whitevette01 Member Posts: 79
    A while back posted to get some information
    on Zaino. Thought would post how many
    vehicles polished with the Z-1, Z-2, Z-5 each
    bottle was 8oz.

Polished a 2000 Silverado Reg Cab, 86 El Camino,
    and a 2001 car. Z-1 polish completed all 3,
    Z-5 provided 2 coats per vehicle with stretching
    on roof of 3rd. Z-2 covered the 3 cars with two
    coats none left.

Most noticeable change was on the navy section of the El Camino. The Sunset Gold on the truck looks
    good but not as reflective as the navy. The
    car is white which shows the least. Also used
    on the cars chrome wheels with good results.

Have read that some put as many as 20 coats of
    the Z-2. Has anyone read up on Zaino to
    know the proper applications before cleaning and
    redoing the 3 step process.

Randy
    The Leer Canopy (100LE) was $1185 + $50 installation.

Randy
    Ill start one over there ok? Delivery service in my area is only $24.50 which isnt bad and itll save your vehicle. KYLE i bet u can get free delivery hahahaha (little inside joke guys) cause i know the delivery driver well.

Randy thanks for the price info. Things arent getting any cheaper thats for sure.

Ryan
    brand of delivery truck you guys got...LOL
    with Home Depot...and pick it up myself thank you..

LOL

I had never even heard of Menards until here...and I guess it's a good thing I haven't!

- Tim
    It's better than Lowe's/Eagle Hardware....

Dean
    Remember, Meredith is a watchin. She might go balistic if she see ya guys talkin about home depot. HA
    Just for your info...

Meredith is a guy.

HE drives a '00 Silverado and likes to play with guns...
    or r u yankin my chain?
  • xringxring Member Posts: 129
    Go to #0 at the beginning of this topic and click on his name and read Meredith's bio.
  • bcobco Member Posts: 756
    after a pleasantly busy weekend, i've updated my picture trail album. it now contains six albums:
    1. zerk photos - most of you have already seen this one...no changes.
    2. action photos - other than recent zaino photos...no changes here either.
    3. line-x photos - new photos showing how the bedliner and bed rail caps work together to provide complete protection.
    4. nerf bar installation - couple pics of what installed westin nerfs look like from underneath
    5. shocks and tires - pics of what you're looking at to install new shocks and what the bridgestone dueler at's look like once they're on.
    6. general maintenance - basically a subsidy of the owner's manual. shows pics of several general maintenance checks and services and how to do them. front axle, rear axle, diff, oil filter/pan, and more...

check 'em out and let me know what you think...

www.picturetrail.com/kwerking

bco
  • wight1wight1 Member Posts: 218
    Great pics and information. I'm pretty knowledgeable on vehicle mechanical and maintenance work, and do all of my own work on my vehicles, but your helpful tips photos are especially good for those folks who are not mechanically inclined. Makes me wonder why vehicle manufacturers can't include photos/text like this in their owner's manuals.
    We have a huge delivery truck. An International 16 ft bed with a crane on the back. now thats a truck. I hope you all do go to home depot. Lets me just stand around and get paid to do nothing haha.

Ryan
    Anyone had the unfortunate experience of changing a flat tire? Well I did today. It wasn’t that bad until I tried to remove the spare. I could not get the “jack handle” to connect with the “receiver” (I don’t know the proper terminology for these). Since I was unable to remove the spare I called the “Free GMC Road Side Assistance” after a lot of questions I got a case # as was told 30 to 60 minutes for some help. After 40 minutes I called to confirm who they sent only to find out that the dispatched companies computers were not working and they did not receive the order, it was then given to them by phone and I was told another 45 min wait. Well, after a total of 1 ½ to 2 hour wait someone arrived, he spent 10 minutes also trying to remove the spare with no luck. What we found out was that the spare was on so tight the “receiving connecter” was angled up. The tow truck driver had to pull the front of the tire down to try and straiten it, while I inserted the “jack handle”. Then it came down and worked as expected. You may want to make sure you can easily remove your spare before you’re stuck without help. Now I’m waiting to see if the tire is repairable, it was a good sided chuck of metal. I wonder if this falls under the firestone recall (ha, ha). If its not repairable, I don’t want to purchase another firestone to replace it with.

Randy
  • pjcavpjcav Member Posts: 80
    you have been busy with that camera. nice photos. Glad you put picts of the duelers. they dont look bad at all, actually i like them. i think i am going to try the same thing just as you and ryan are/did.

from the looks of your engine compartment, it looks like you been of road a few times.

pat
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    Kyle,

I'm glad to see you got rid of your P-series tires and put some real tires on your truck.

Mike L
  • tex6tex6 Member Posts: 96
    What is your recommendation for type of axle/differential fluid? Thanks!
    after you pulled the front cover off the dash, did you try and drive around to see if you could pinpoint the rattle or if it may have disappeared with the removal of the cover. Where do you hold or bang on to stop the rattle?

Dean
    Great pics...now Ryan can go ahead and grease his truck....LOL. Hope he doesn't forget the 90 degree zerk.

Bilsteins are a nice two tone...I prefer the blood red of edlebrock myself...

Dean
    I know exactly where the rattle is coming from. i stuck some paper towel (soft kind) where it was making noise and put the dash back on. Drove around and not a damn noise. I cant drive around with a paper towel sticking out of the dash though. Kinda looks wierd

Ryan
  • blackmax200blackmax200 Member Posts: 255
    matthew
  • xringxring Member Posts: 129
    Kyle:

Great pics! Thanks for taking the time to put all that together and share it with us!

John
    Say what?

Ryan
This discussion has been closed.