Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TSX Lease Questions

Comments

• bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    I think perhaps your sale price could have been a bit lower, not by too much, but a bit lower. Still a good deal though!
  • mgattmgatt Member Posts: 2
    I cannot speak for the Automatic 4 cylinder Accord, as I have not driven the latest model. I have driven the manual coupe, which isn't a very good comparison. So far though my impressions of the engine in the TSX are good. I haven't pushed it too much just yet, but using the paddle shifters helps get that extra punch when you know you are going to need it, as well as a "full manual mode" where basically it will not up shift for you so you can take it close to redline. I'm coming from a Turbo 4, so do miss the low end punch, but overall the engine performs as well as I expected being a N/A I-4. The best part is after ~300 miles, I'm well above 1/4 tank remaining, would be lucky to get 250 miles a tank on my previous ride. I should also mention that the dealer I worked with also had quoted me $403/month with $453 due at signing with Tech. Not sure what this selling price worked out to, but the selling price on my paperwork with no tech is $26,225.50
  • theking72theking72 Member Posts: 4
    Hey Car Man,

Just checking back to see if you were able to get any info about additional dealer cash on the TSX in June.

Gracias,

Theking72
  • robertw477robertw477 Member Posts: 188
    I just got a few quotes in South Florida. Previously I had a TL years ago but didn't want to pay as much as a TL. Still considering other cars unless I get a sharp deal.

I was offered 2009 with TECH package 455.00 month 12/36
    2010 Base Model 440.00 Per month

Both include tax of 6%.

Somebody previously wrote there were some models with the tech package 09s in S. Fla.

Dont think I will bite on these.

Rob
    Did you ever get any decent prices on the leftover 09 cars with tech?

Rob
    Spoke to a few other S Fla dealers this afternoon. They guys must be on another planet. Most dont have any 09s and what was funny is one guy I called said I have no cars. I didnt even ask him about the year. If I were him I would be talking up the great new 2010 models. If you sell the same product every day, how complicated is it to give a price to a customer? The car business is amazing.

Remember never fall in love with something that cant love you back.

Rob
  • ssonicssssonicss Member Posts: 8
    I have owned 2 05 TLs. I liked them alot. the 09 TSX Tech is evrybit as enjoyable to drive. cant expect a beter deal . I got tsx Tech 12/36 ,30Kprice, 5k out of pocket included tax, lic, reg, transfers & fees & 1st payment ( $321. mo incldes tx) car had 1k in extras, residual 19k, ( I could have only had 1k out of pocket but my payments wouldve been appx $400. + per mo.) This is the best car on road for the money. Dont settle for less, you'll love this car.know what U want make offer to all dlrs in Fl, get confirm deal and go as far as you have to to get the best deal. I got Burgubdy w/ebony LOVE It !! Good Luck
    I never put any money down on any lease. I have been leasing for 15 years plus. No cap costs. The reason you want a lease is not to put down money. If the car is totalled or stolen you lose all money you put down. I post this here because I hope many people see it and understand. In effect you bought the monthly payment down with no benefit to you.

Rob
  • kingpcgeekkingpcgeek Member Posts: 1,051
    Good explanation by Tarry at leasecompare.com

Because you pay for the use of a vehicle during a lease, you should put as little money down as possible, up front. Although putting money down can lower your lease payments (by reducing your capitalized cost) in most cases it cannot be regained in the event of early termination due to a loss.

For example, a customer once leased a Toyota 4Runner and put $3,000
    down as a cap reduction. Five months later the vehicle was totaled in an
    accident. The client's insurance paid its portion of the lease payoff and
    Gap Insurance paid the balance. Our client walked away with only paying
    his insurance deductible but he did not get reimbursed for his initial down
    payment of $3,000. It was lost.

The moral of this true story is to put as little money down as possible,
    ideally no money down. Here are some other things to consider:

- Money down is taxable
    - Take the money you would have put down and invest it
    - Put your down payment in a savings account and use a portion each month to help make your lease payment
    2005 G35 Sedan
    2007 G35 Sedan
    2008 G37 Sedan
    2010 G37 Coupe
    2012 G37 Sedan
    2014 Q50 RWD

2017 Q60 3.0t RWD
    2018 QX60 RWD
  • arlington2arlington2 Member Posts: 1
    I've seen your info for 12k, but I wasn't sure what is a good deal for 15k TSX/Tech 36 month. How important is it to know the underlying detail i.e. money factor/residual? If I know the monthly amount and the amount down, can't I d=jsut compare that to what I've seen on this board or should I be worried about "hidden costs" or creative accounting? Also I do not possess a solid uinderstnading of the leasing terms. I am assuming that I want a higher residual % i.e. 60% is better than 56% and I want a lower money factor i.e. .00198 is better than .00215?

The deal I got was $2,400 down to pay taxes( i know you advocate not putting anything down, but does that include taxes/title etc?). M.S.R.P. is $32,820, selling price $28,991. Lease is $388.00/month. Residual value is .56% and the money factor is .00198, approximately 4.7% with approved credit, client must have a credit score of 710 or higher.

Is this inline
    Since where is sales tax 2400.00 on 36 months? Here in S FLa tax is 6%. On $400 a month thats 24.00 x 36 months=864.00. Where is the other 1600.00 Dealers love when people put money down into a lease.

rob
    In some states you have to pay the sales tax up front, either on the full selling price of the car or on the rent portion of price.
    2005 G35 Sedan
    2007 G35 Sedan
    2008 G37 Sedan
    2010 G37 Coupe
    2012 G37 Sedan
    2014 Q50 RWD

2017 Q60 3.0t RWD
    2018 QX60 RWD
  • 23109vc23109vc Member Posts: 218
    dealer,over the phone - said the following

2009 TSX Tech
    $3999 down
    $299/month + tax
    MF was .00198
    10k/year

I didn't ask about the residual - I just wanted the down and payment.

is this good?
    That is terrible. 3999 down? Have you ever leased before.

You only want sign and drive. Never put anything down. Honda leases are 12K standard..

Rob
  • kingcobra7kingcobra7 Member Posts: 5
    Just an Fyi, here is the Seattle area the dealership is telling me there is a 1250 Cap reduction on 09 Tech models but nothing on the base models. I'm not sure when this ends. Too bad there is nothing on the Base.

Matt
    Thats bull. Looks lie they are working "together: if you know what I mean. Keep in mind the 2010s are out this week.Makes it harder to sell the leftover 09s.

rob
  • bjohnston115bjohnston115 Member Posts: 1
    I was offered a 09 tsx tech 6mt for 432/month.

I will be putting only taxes fees and first month payment upfront which is approx 2500.

Selling price = 31,500
    money factor = .00198
    Resid = 59%
    miles = 10k/yr

Ive noticed that the residuals do not change from 10-12k/yr so i was thinking of telling the dealer that i would like 12k/year. I was planning on offering 375/mo and ill make the deal. Do you think that is a reasonable offer or could i get away with a better one? The car is a leftover 09 that has been sitting on the showroom floor. I figure everyone and their brother has been in the car and tcouhed everything. It is white with black int.

Any help is great, thanks
    Are you in a state where you have to pay the taxes up front? Out of that 2500 how much is tax? Honda leases are generally a standard 12K so definitely go for 12k miles. Personally I think 375/month would be a good price depending on your answer about the taxes. I dont care if people have been in the car and touched etc. Doesnt mean anything to me.

Rob
  • ssonicssssonicss Member Posts: 8
    you should be able to get the price to at least $30,300. I added $2,500. out of pocket & it reduced my monthly to 321., so $111. per month less and I got 12, 000 miles per year, a must. so with $2,500 out of pocket, price $30,300. 12, 000 miles get a monthly of $380. including tax
  • lukas718lukas718 Member Posts: 3
    Hi
    I tired to get tsx tech in NY
    here's few quotes i got

Tech 2009
    36m/10k

white/black - $359 p/m + $2900 (includes tax in NY and 1st payment etc)
    silver/black - $345 p/m + $2500 (includes tax in NY and 1st payment etc)

do you think they are good deals ?
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    advertised lease -- 09 tsx base--zero down --$368 10k miles 3 years. Taxes in illinois about $1500 -- acquisition fee 650. -- looks like about 430 out the door. Haven't negotiated or visited. Any reaction.
  • jkleinmdjkleinmd Member Posts: 6
    I think thats a good deal on a tech in NY. I was not able to find anything close to that (in NY as well). Although I would haggle them to 12k because it really shouldnt affect the cost, as someone mentioned in an earlier post.

I bought my 09 tsx base model 3 weeks ago in NJ. I paid 1850 at signing (incl 1st month) and $329/month 36m/12k.
    I think I wouldve taken a tech if i was offered a deal like yours
    My only concern is that there is not too many white on black tsx tech 09 left and that's the only colors I have so I don't know what kind of game I should play with them. I already gave them my lease applications and credit to run.

I would love to get 12k for the same price :)

any pointers how to approach the whole situation ??
    I can tell you that you are not going to lose the car...No dealer wants you to walk away.
    What I did is cited this forum to my dealer....I kinda made it up. You can tell him that multiple people in NYC area are showing the prices theyve been paying on the forum. Theyre all getting similar prices but theyre getting 12k. He will not let that be the dealbreaker. But if he does, you call his bluff, and tell him "i hope you understand but I need to check with other dealers in the area to see if they would give me 12k (since you know of specific dealers already that do 'wink wink')

If nothing else, you call him back the next day, and do the deal. Hes not gonna let you walk away though. Their usual line is either "well i dont know what the 'points' on the car are going to be if you dont take it now" or "Ive had quite a few people coming in here buying tsx techs this week"
    All complete bull!!!! The internet has changed the industry.
    hmm I know he didn't have white/back in stock at his place but he said he will get one for me. I already gave him all my info but I didn't sign anything yet. Im just wondering if I say that will I piss him off and he will just say no
  • hzlotnikhzlotnik Member Posts: 1
    hi lukas781! I am looking to lease 2010 tsx.Could you please tell me where in nj you got this deal. thanks a lot
    It may piss him off but he wont say no. Dont forget its your money!
    If you tell him you know someone who got a better deal in the area, he would have to understand that you want the same deal. In any case, going to 12k shouldnt affect price.....you could even tell him you realized you need more mileage than you thought you would.
  • 23109vc23109vc Member Posts: 218
    FYI - over on the TL forum there are posts that TLs are selling at 33-34k for a TL base w/tech.

if you gusy are only getting to 30k on a TSX w/tech, why not spend antoher 4k to hget into a TL. huge difference in car.

OR - will Acura really sell/dump the TSX w/tech for a TON less than you guys are gertting them for?? i suspect there may be more margin/profit in the TL so they can dump the price lower.... making it in some ways a better buy
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi theking72. Acura's dealer cash on the 2009 TSX is actually worse in June than it was in May. It is not providing any dealer cash on the base '09 TSX any longer. It only has $1,250 on the TSX Tech.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Hi Car Man

Any word on what the incentives will be on the TSX starting July 6?

Thanks

Matt
    Consult your local psychic. The manufacturers keep that type of info pretty close to the vest.
    2005 G35 Sedan
    2007 G35 Sedan
    2008 G37 Sedan
    2010 G37 Coupe
    2012 G37 Sedan
    2014 Q50 RWD

2017 Q60 3.0t RWD
    2018 QX60 RWD
    Hi arlington2. It's definitely a good idea to understand how leasing works before pulling the trigger on one. You definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

On an Acura, finding out the money factor and residual value is much less important than finding out the selling price of the car that you're interested in. The selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. Without this number, it is difficult to tell how large a dealer discount you are being given.

The dealer invoice price of a 2009 Acura TSX Tech is $30,474. If you subtract the $1,250 dealer cash that Acura is providing on this model from that it drops to $29,224. The selling price that you were quoted is even lower than that. This is a very good deal.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi Matt. What you were told is correct. Acura is currently providing $1,250 dealer cash on the 2009 TSX Tech, but nothing on the base model. Make sure to negotiate a dealer discount on top of that. If I was in the market for an '09 TSX right now, I personally would shoot for a selling price that's as close to dealer invoice as possible and then have the dealer subtract any available cash incentives. Dealers are probably fairly anxious to unload their remaining '09 TSX models now that the 2010s have started to arrive.

Car_man
    Host
    Hey Matt . Kingpcgeek is right. There really is no way of knowing what the new program will be like before it is officially announced.

Car_man
    Host
    Thanks Car Man

I've had a heck of a time trying to get the dealers in my area (Seattle) to get close to invoice with the 1250.00. If I could get invoice with another 1250.00 below I would be a happy camper. Are there issues with going to another state an leasing a car? I have a feeling I might have to do that.

Thanks for your help

Matt
    I tried to lease a TL last year in CA, I live in AZ. I was told by the dealer that I would have to provide a CA address to do it. I called Honda Finance and they confirmed this fact. I also was thinking about leasing an Infiniti in CA.. They had no problems with me doing it. They would put a temp transfer plate on the vehicle, and all I would have to do is go to the AZ MVD to get permanent plates.

I'm really not sure to this day if I got bad info about the Acura.
    2005 G35 Sedan
    2007 G35 Sedan
    2008 G37 Sedan
    2010 G37 Coupe
    2012 G37 Sedan
    2014 Q50 RWD

2017 Q60 3.0t RWD
    2018 QX60 RWD
  • fastfeetfastfeet Member Posts: 9
    My TL lease is just about up, but I do NOT like the new TL's, so I was looking to lease a tsx 09 tech. I 'm getting very bad vibes now with this dealer. Rushing me in to getting their "last" 09. Told me the 2010 will be $60.00 a month more.

This was their offer to me with $3,000 down....security$389, bank fee $595,NYSST $1310. Capcost$600 leas efor 389./mo 36 /12
    I'll take any advice
    Thats a terrible deal. Tell them to forget that! DO NOT put any 3K down. Dont put money down on a lease. Makes zero SENSE!!!

Rob
    Would it make sense to extend my current lease with my TL and wait to see the 2010 offers?
    Would it make sense to extend my current lease with my TL and wait to see the 2010 offers?
  • roubaudroubaud Member Posts: 80
    I'm soon to buy either a 2009 or 2010 TSX with tech. I laugh at these people that say don't put money down on a lease. What? All these TSX lease specials require it JUST SO you can get that $330 (09) or $390 (10) lease deal. Don't put money down on you lease and watch that monthly shoot up--so you should then just take out a car loan instead, practically.

The whole point of putting money down on these lease specials, it seems to me, is to get lower monthly payments--quite a big deal to most folks. I personally haven't decided on lease or buy, 2009 or 2010, but low monthly payments are big to me for just a 3 year lease and doesn't seem all that risky.
    I dont think you get it. Require it? Thats bull. I got three quotes on 09 with tech. All sign and drive. Put money down to get lower payments?

I laugh at those like you that just dont get it. There is no benefit to the lesee. The idea of a lease is not to put down money. Here is an example.

300 a Month with 3600 Down (I use 3600 for a round number)
    400 a month sign and drive

Why not put down 7200.00 and call your car payment 200 a month if it makes you feel better. cap costs make the dealer look like you are getting a better deal than you are.

Do you think the 300 a month is a better deal? You are buying down the lease, sort of a prepay with no benefit pricewise to you.

I think if most folks think 3000 down is good than most folks dont have a clue. Clark Howard mentions leases and calls them fleeces. I have done exceptional over the past 15 or more years leasing cars. I find the best deals with no nonsense.

As it has been mention a million times. Any money down on a lease is lost if the car is stolen and not recovered or totalled in an accident etc. If you are mentioning the ads on tv call the dealer and just ask for sign and drive, no cap cost. Its as simple as that.

rob
    OK, so you say sign and drive...ADVISE me as to how to to this?
    Will the 2010's be more per month than 09?
  • john1789john1789 Member Posts: 5
    "OK, so you say sign and drive...ADVISE me as to how to to this?"

I, too, co-sign this movement. Please 'ol mighty one, educate us. :)
    You call the dealer and tell them you want a sign and drive leasu want to pay for is the first month and tag simple as that. For example I saw a local website that was even showing a cap cost rate and a sign and drive rate. Dealers love people who dont know a thing about leasing. They usually take those people over the hurdles.

Good Luck
    Rob
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Yes! In order for a dealer or company to make a deal look good and practical is to post a low payment. Always putting the amount due in fine print below. The amount due is typically around $2k.

Posting the true payment of the car wouldn't be as attractive. You most definitely do a sign and drive on any car. That is a true lease. They simple roll most fees into the lease, leaving the first payment due or sign and drive. When it is sign and drive, it is simply rolled into the lease. If any dealer asks you to put $2k or $3k down, then they are crazy. The lessee is taking big risk if its totaled and it is NOT going to benefit you in anyway, even if you wanted to buy the car at the end.

Putting anything down is unreasonable, it defeats the whole purpose. If you are truly focused on a low payment, perhaps you really cannot afford the car. If you have that kind of money in the bank to dump $2k,$3k in a lease, then you can definitely make the higher payment. Why throw you hard earned money? If you are so focused on the low payment, then perhaps you SHOULD keep the money in the bank, go with a lower cost car. That just seems frivolous and taking a big risk. Do not focus on the payment too much, it is the overall cost of the car. If the car comes out to a sign and drive with a good sale price. And you question the car payment being too high. Then you need to pick another car.

$1,000=$20-30 roughly off your payment. Its not too much.
    Keep your money in the bank. Now of course you have money to throw away, then you really should opt to get a loan out, not lease. Then your money down does help. If your like me, I trade my cars every 1.5-2yrs. I know, alot, but I do. So could you imagine putting $2k down every time?

No offense to anyone here. Just stating my view point of a lease
    But then again, were all guilty of biting off more than we can typically chew right?
    I don't need a brand new car, but I have one.

Lets all be thankful and appreciative for what we have, and not throw it away.
    Thank you for explaining it Rob. Since you are so knowledgeable.....what's your opinion on extending my current lease until the 10's get more of an incentive???
    And would you choose with or without TECH???
    Honda is a very good leasing company, They will let you go month to month etc. Especially if you are leasing again with them.I never had a single penny charged by them on any lease I had. As far as the tech packages when I first got my 03 TL lease the tech package was hot stuff. NAV was not common. Seems to me that there is a big premium for the tech package. A good bluetooth nav can be bought for a few hundred. Less convenient though. My cell phone does turn by turn nav (palm pre) Iphone does turn by turn (3GS model) I always try to buy end of year models as you usually have a little more wiggle room. Good Luck/
    Rob
  • tbenson81tbenson81 Member Posts: 25
    Hi

I am looking to lease a TSX in the next day or so. I can get a great deal on a 2009 and just wanted to check with the experts here if there are any advantages or improvements at all for the 2010 model. I have done extensive research and cant find a single difference between the 2009 and 2010. Are there any at all ? Exterior seems identical to me and I cant find any other differences. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Tony
    Same car no difference. Get the best deal you can. In this econimy nobody is knocking down doors for any new cars let alone 2010s. Sometimes when there is a major body redesign or something dealers will try and get the highest price on cars rolling in. That is usually a great time to buy the old body style on a car if you like it. I even remember a few years ago the new accord body style, dealers were charging about $100.00 more per month because they could.

Rob