Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you received a recall notice for your car, but decided that you're not going to take it in to get it fixed? If so, a reporter would like to talk to you about it. Please reach out to [email protected] by Wednesday, September 26, 2018 telling us why you decided not to get the repair, and the Edmunds PR team may connect you with the journalist.
If you experience loading issues with the login/register form, please completely disable ad blocker or use an incognito or in-private window to log in.

Ford Explorer Sport Trac - IV

Comments

• pennyless2,

Now all we need is a tread to run on to see if its wind noise or mechanical. :-( I really can't tell for sure which one it is. If I could run it up to 40 MPH with out actually moving it would solve half the mystery.
  • mac65mac65 Posts: 2
    figured out the rattling- it is a loose bracket behind the lower center console (one with the cup holders and the tray for holding miscellaneous items). you will need an offset wrench to tighten the bolt. locate the bolt by contorting into the the driver's side space below the steering column and finding it behind the center console. alternatively, you can feel for it by sitting at the driver's seat and using your right hand to feel directly to the right of the panel below the steering assembly. find the single metal bracket that runs from the center console to the chasis- the bolt closer to the center console should be marginally loose. it should require 3 to 4 full turns to tighten. got rid of all rattling with this fix. hope it helps others too.
  • Does anyone have a front grill/headlight protector on their ST? I've seen one on an Explorer and it looks good but also seems to make some sense. Those headlights seem awfully vulnerable sticking out there. But, are these grills substantial? Or do they just crumble if touched?

I just bought a 2001ST, manufactured 9/20/00. Runs like a top, no rattles that I can hear...first two tanks were about 15 to 17 mpg.
    ---Bob in Minnesota
  • tractiontraction Posts: 141
    I have had the Ford tonneau cover for 3 weeks now. It has been thru several rain storms and a car wash, and no leaks whatsoever. I really was not expecting it to be perfectly waterproof, but it is nice that it is.

My ST is 6 months old now with 8000 miles and still tight as a drum, no rattles. The truck has been problem-free and runs great.
  • I have a ST on order and it should be delivered the end of November. My question is how difficult is the tonneau cover to remove? I am a female - 110 pounds. I am pretty self sufficient and do quite a few things for myself. Can I handle removing this cover by myself if I need to?
    I have not tried removing it myself yet. I would imagine it might be a bit bulky and heavy for just one person, two people would be ideal, it is a pretty heavy-duty design.

Disconnecting it from the truck it easy tough, you just slide two rods that go into the side of the bed, one on each side where the cover hinges.
  • tdb2tdb2 Posts: 2
    Anybody notice the paint chipping off the plastic inside door handles???? Whenever something hard (like a wedding ring) hits the handle, the silver paint chips off. Looks lousy, obviously.
  • Mine is chipping off real bad on the passenger side door handles. I don't think the paint should come off that easy. I also have some paint chipping off my step rails. They are black underneath the paint. Looks tacky.
  • tdb2tdb2 Posts: 2
    Have you brought it up with your dealer. I have, and to fix it, they have to replace the entire door panel, which they don't want to do
  • bennbbennb Posts: 143
    My handles scratch and chip easily as well. Very disappointing and I noticed it right after taking delivery. Oh well--we shouldn't covet I guess.
  • I had a card board file folder box in the back seat for a day. The box rubbed the paint off the handle about the size of a quarter. No way should that have happened. VERY VERY disappointing!

What are the handles gonna look like after a year of normal use!
  • Well Finally got my Black ST with everything!!

Sunroof (love it), 6 Disc CD (Love it), Tonneau Cover already installed (love it), 4 wheel drive (yeah), cargo cage (i like), everything but leather seats (got kids). No rubbing, no rattle. Only a few things I had to mention:

1) I ordered my ST in July 25th (didn't get it until November 3rd)

2) It has rained allot recently.... The back is virtually dry but there is a little water back there

3) I love the overhead console but with the console the rear view mirror sits pretty low. I find myself moving my head quickly to keep my eye on some object because the mirror is in the way.

4) My ST was built in October and still has Firestone Death Tires on them.

5) where the hell is the subwoofer that is supposed to come with the 6 Disc CD?

6) I went to start my ST yesterday... It would not start (only 411 miles on it). I called road side assistance... the wrecker came out, put the car in Neutral, and the ST started right up... I felt stupid... but the wrecker said when this happens there is something wrong with your transmission and that I need to take it back to Ford to had it fixed. Ever have that problem?

All in all I still love my ST (hope the paint does not chip, I would be pissed). My friends say that I'm cheating on my wife with me ST cause I wanted to sleep in it...... What do you think? :~)
    Ford Motor Company received an award for the "most innovative use of plastics" for introducing the industry's first structural cargo box using composite materials. The composite bed was developed in partnership with The Budd Company's Plastics Division.

Using composite instead of steel results in an over all reduction in vehicle weight. A structural Sheet Molding Composite (SMC) box inner does not trap water under a liner, eliminating the risk of rust damage to the pickup bed. The SMC box is close to 20 percent lighter than a typical steel box.

The old process requires 45 pieces of sheet metal to be assembled. With the new composite one-piece box, there are fewer pieces, fewer tools and assembly fixtures and it takes up less floor space in the assembly plant, which results in cost savings.

The composite box exceeds the 150,000-mile durability requirements specified by Ford Truck for all pickup boxes. It is built "Ford Tough" and is far superior to steel for corrosion and dent resistance. Not only does the composite box reduce weight, improve fuel economy, increase durability, cut down production time and cost it is also recyclable.
  • Just received my ST, November 4, order in August, received a build of October 23. Now the subwoofer is located behind the drivers passenger rear set. My ST has 425 miles and todate no promblems as yet.
  • Does anyone know if there are VentVisor’s available for ST yet, as well as a Bug Shield?
  • http://www.mysporttrac.com/gallery/kunkle.asp
    Checkout my pictures of my ST.
  • Okay, I'll admit it. I have a major crick in my neck from sitting at this computer too long, so I didn't read all the previous posts. I'll do that next time. Haven't made time for Edmunds in quite a while, so I'm striking while the iron's hot. Or the monitor.

Here's my question. My b/f is in the market for a new vehicle, and the Sport Trac is a possibility. I'm sure you're all fans, because you wouldn't own one otherwise. But what are pros and cons, in your opinion? He has a Sunfire and a '49 Chevy right now. He wants something that carries more adults than the Sunfire, but doesn't need as much babying as the '49 does right now, and he likes the truck-but-not-extended-cab-or-true-crew idea.

Thanks to all in advance.
    I have found my ST to be an extremely versitle vehicle. It has plenty of room to carry 4 adults comfortably (or 5 if you need to) and enough cargo room in the bed to carry the usual Home Depot type stuff. It also has a lot of neat features like an in-dash 6 disc CD changer and a power rear window that opens an inch for a vent, or goes all of the way day for extra long cargo.

I also like the fact you can take out the berber floor mats and have just a rubber floor. As soon as it started to rain this season, I took the berber mats out and stored them. I have had mine now for 6 months and have not had any problems.
  • Was checking out some TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins) for my 1987 Ford Bronco and discovered a bulletin several of you ST owners have complained about.

If it worked for this old Bronco model, maybe it will work for your ST:

Service Bulletin Number: 87-17-9
    Bulletin Sequence Number: 066
    Date of Bulletin: 8708
    NHTSA Item Number: 94694
    Make: FORD TRUCK
    Model: BRONCO
    Year: 1987
    Component: STRUCTURE:DOOR ASSEMBLY
    Summary: AIR LEAK DOOR INSIDE HANDLES AND POWER WINDOW/DOOR LOCK SWITCHES-TO CORRECT INST ALL FOAM GASKETS (E7TZ-14521-A) AROUND BOTH DOOR HANDLES AND SWITCHES-ALL 1985 T O 1987 FORD RANGER AND BRONCO II MODELS
  • Thanks so much for the input. You hit the nail on the head when you said Home Depot kind of stuff. I don't think he knew about the power window in back, so I'll pass that along.
  • I've been busy driving, but I want everyone to know that I got my ST last Monday. Tuesday I worked for the elections and Wednesday we threw the dogs in the back and took a road trip!

Some of you may recall that I refused delivery of the first ST I ordered when they installed the Standard Radio instead of the Audiophile system.

I held out for what I wanted and now own a Red 2wd ST with Grey leather, every other option and no moonroof. I installed the mud flaps myself, about 20 minutes without removing the wheels.

We folded the back seat down for the dogs and threw their big pillow back there. We stowed all of our luggage and the dog crates in the box, under the hard cover.

Everything worked great, no problems at all.

We went from Raleigh, NC to Evansville, Indiana by way of Nashville. I got a very consistant 18mpg except when we went over the smokies it dropped to about 17mpg.

I'm glad I held out for the audiophile system. The DSP features are wild!! I also liked the Autoset feature to program your buttons in new cities. We did get some messages from stations, mostly call letters and one country station called the "big Dawg".

The hard cover let me be a hero. We went for my sister-in-laws wedding. They had decorated a bunch of pumpkins for centerpieces and had to move them to the VFW hall for the reception. The decorator was planning on using her hubbies Dakota Max Cab, but there was a hard rain. So the pumpkins went in the ST box, snug under the Hard Cover.

BTW, it started raining between Knoxville and Nashville and never quit till the next night in Evansville Indiana. There was not a drop under the cover. It does pay to swipe the standing water off the lid before raising it though, otherwise some will definately run in the box. What ran off the cover when opening, exited just as quickly out of the drain holes.

On the whole we are very happy, the dogs were thrilled and I now own a one week old ST with about 1700 miles on it.
  • Has anyone else received the gift pack from Ford? I recently received a thank you letter for purchasing the ST, and with it was an Outfitters key ring, 2 folding embroidered chairs with carrying case, and a Victorinox Swiss Army knife with Explorer Sport Trac on it.

What a great touch!

Just a few years ago, we had to beg just to get them to spring for the first tank of gas.

I almost feel like a Lexus owner.
  • When I bought my first Ford (not a truck) in '99, I got a gift pack from them too, all stuff related to my 35th anniversary baby. Now you'll get their catalog, which actually has some neat stuff in it. It is a nice touch, I agree.
  • Item #6. When I first got my ST I had problems with the engine starting. Just crank it a few more times and it will start. For me the problem went away.
  • How long did you have to wait for your gifts? I haven't received anything yet. I took delivery on 8 sept. Don't tell me my dealer is sitting in my chairs and whittling with my knife. Also how did your gifts arrive and did you have to ask for them? Thanks
  • I took delivery on 6-15 and still haven't received anything yet. My neighbor received their's about a month after they took delivery. Does it have anything to do with the dealer you bought it from?
  • I bought my ST on 8/7 and just received my gift today. I think they just got backed up after the initial buyers and are behind. I think somebody posted a Customer Service number in a prior posting or at yahoo if you want to call.
  • For all you new owners - new to this board.
    The gifts (chairs,knife,keychain) will automatically arrive at your door about 90 days after purchase.
    They are from Ford, not the dealers.
    They are a nice surprise - act surprised! Don't call Ford and ask them where your free surprise gift is.
    Enjoy!
  • rb125rb125 Posts: 28
    8 months and 17000 miles...maybe I should take it in for service. I would like to read from some us "old timers" on how well the ST is holding up. Has anyone been in the snow and ice yet? To ensure you get your gifts, log on to ownerconnection.com.
  • that would most likely describe my ST thus far. I ordered mine way back in March of 2000. Finally took delivery in Sept of 2000. It was worth the wait. Every option except sun roof and 4x4. I don't see how some of you out there have racked up so many miles. Wondering if anybody thought about trading or selling to see how much we lost driving it off the lot?
This discussion has been closed.