Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier Audi A3 Lease Questions

Comments

• hnethnet Member Posts: 3
    Hi Car_man,

Been told by a couple of local dealers that a new leasing incentive just started for the A3's this month. Any idea how long the new incentives will last? Looking to get a 2008 2.0T w/ Premium Package, Open Sky, and iPod Interface. 36 month lease @ 12,000 miles per year.

Thanks!

hnet
  • tzhangtzhang Member Posts: 3
    Hey Car_man,

I am wondering if it's possible to return a premier purchased A3 back to Audi early ? Currently I have 24-month payments to go.

Thanks

--TZH
  • theresa11theresa11 Member Posts: 58
    Car_man,

My Audi dealer told me that they have dealer cash until October 26th. Seems like an odd date for the cash to end. Any idea of when it really ends? Am looking at a 2007 A3 w/premium, open sky, metallic paint and 6 CD. Any idea of price? They offered $27,900. Thanks for comments!
  • tzhangtzhang Member Posts: 3
    Car_man,

How much is the early termination charge for premier purchase program?

Thanks

--Tony
  • cmelcmel Member Posts: 1
    Hi Car_man,

I’m looking to lease a 2008 A3 2.0T S tronic with Preminum package, open sky, and ipod interface. My local dealer offers me this:

MSRP Price: $32,385.00
    Invoice Price: $29,845.00

Your Price: $29,500.00
    Lease 36 months at 10K miles per year:
    Drive Off: $2,000.00
    36 months at: $365.01 + Tax

What do you think? Is this a good price or still can negotiable?

Thanks,
    cmel
  • jaysailsjaysails Member Posts: 2
    It is a good product, but whatever you do, don't use Audi Financial for a lease.
    Who ever you do use, be prepared at the end of the lease to get charged plenty. Audi uses a third party to inspect cars, and this third party has nothing to loose in charging for bogus wear and tear charges. Then they will take the car off the lot the same day, so if you do have an issue, it cannot be re-inspected. It reaks of rip-off. BMW has a much better turn in program, and they seem to be honest. If you really want this car, I would purchase it rather then lease. If you do end up leasing, I will wager that it will be your last Audi.
  • lulu20lulu20 Member Posts: 4
    Hello,
    I am new to the forum and not all that brilliant at number crunching. Can someone evaluate this lease offer and provide an opinion on whether it's a decent deal? Or maybe throw in some tips on how to get a better deal? Thanks so much!!

$279 lease per month for 36 months

Down payment: $2,500
    Refundable security deposit: $300
    Acquisition fee: $575
    First month's payment: $279
    Amount due at lease inception: $3,654

36-mo. closed-end lease offered to qualified customers by Audi Financial Services through participating dealers. Must take delivery by 1/2/2008. Rate based on $29,305 MSRP of 2008 Audi A3 2.0T Premium 6-Speed with 6-speed manual transmission, premium package, panorama sunroof and destination charge. Purchase option at lease end for $16,118.

Required dealer contribution could affect final negotiated transaction. Lessee responsible for insurance and may have some financial liability at lease end. Lessee responsible for $0.25/mile over 10,000 miles per year and a disposition fee of $350 due at lease end.
  • blakebartblakebart Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    It looks like the lease payment is too low, maybe a typo?

Here's the current A3 lease deal Audi is offering, seen on a California Audi dealer site:

$349* lease per month for 36 months
    Now through January 2, 2008

Down payment: $2,499
    Refundable security deposit: $350
    First month's payment: $349
    Amount due at lease inception: $3,773
    Excludes taxes, title and dealer fees

*36-mo. closed-end lease offered to qualified customers by Audi Financial Services through participating dealers. Must take delivery by 1/2/2008. Rate based on $30,785 MSRP of 2008 Audi A3 2.0 T with DSG, Premium package, open sky panoramic roof and destination charge. Purchase option at lease end for $16,932.

I'd LOVE to get an A3 for $279 a month if that's true ;)
  • blakebartblakebart Member Posts: 2
    Wait, I see it! You're right, $279 per month in DC! Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? Why would Audi have such a different program between east and west coast?
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi hnet. Audi is running a special lease program on the 2008 A3 this month, but it is only available in certain areas, specifically California, Washington DC, and Florida. In these areas, Audi Financial Services' buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of an '08 A3 2.0T Premium with 12,000 miles per year are .00075 and 53%, respectively. The residual value for leases outside of these areas would be the same, but the money factor would increase to .00286. This lease program is scheduled to run through January 2nd.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Hi tzhang. I am sorry to say that it is usually fairly expensive to get out of leases and balloon notes (which is what the Premier Purchase Program is) well before their scheduled end dates. In order to do so, you need to purchase the vehicle from Audi Financial Services. It often turns out that it costs more to do so than your vehicle is worth on the open market. Furthermore, many banks expect consumers who end their leases early to still make all, or at least the depreciation portion of their remaining lease payments. As you can see, this can get very expensive.

You can determine approximately how much it will cost you to get out of your car by comparing its purchase price to its value on the open market at this time. You should place a call to AFS to find out its exact price. Once you know exactly how much money it is going to cost you to buy your A3 you need to compare it to its current value on the open market. You can find out approximately what your vehicle is worth by looking up its Edmunds.com True Market Value in the Used Vehicle Pricing section of this site. You also may want to stop by the following discussion: "Real-World Trade-In Values". Don't forget to check to see if you are still on the hook for your remaining lease payments. The difference between your vehicle's current value and how much it will cost you to buy it plus any remaining payments that you are obligated to pay will equal the cost of getting out of your lease right now. You may find that you are better off waiting until you are closer to the scheduled end of your current deal to get another new vehicle.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi theresa11. In November Audi was providing $1,500 dealer cash on 2007 A3s, but as you have heard I do not believe that this cash incentive is available any longer.

Car_man
    Host
    Hello cmel. A selling price of below dealer invoice is an excellent deal on a leased 2008 Audi A3 right now. I don't think that you are going to be able to do much better than this. Just make sure that the dealer you are working with uses Audi Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor of .00286 to calculate your monthly payment and you're all set. Audi is running an enhanced lease program on this car in California, Washington DC, and Florida.

Car_man
    Host
    Welcome lulu20. You never mentioned the selling price of the A3 that you are interested in leasing. This is an important number for you as a consumer to know for two reasons. First, the selling prices of leased vehicles can be negotiated, just as if you were paying cash for them. Without knowing the price of the car that you want to lease you don't know how good a price you are getting it for. The second reason is that one needs the selling price of the vehicle that they want to lease is that it is necessary to calculate its lease payment. I would be more than happy to give you a detailed analysis of this deal if you let me know what its selling price is.

Is this an advertised lease payment? Where did you see it? If it is an official Audi advertisement, there is a good chance that it leaves a little meat on the bone so to speak and that you might be able to beat it by comparison shopping and haggling a little over the car's price.

One thing that I don't like about this deal is the $2,500 down payment. I always advise consumers against making capitalized cost reductions on leased vehicles. Those who make them risk losing part or all of them if their vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen and never recovered. Even though it means that your monthly payment will be a little higher, you would be better off going with a zero down lease on this car.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi blakebart. For some reason, Audi is running a special lease program on the '08 A3 in California, Washington DC, and Florida right now. Its money factor for this car in these areas is .00075, versus .00286 in the rest of the country. This will make a significant difference in its lease payment.

Car_man
    Host
    Thanks for the info car_man.

The deal I posted is an official Audi advert. in the DC area. I emailed all the local dealers (there are only 4) and asked what the selling price of the car is and got back responses that they would all be happy to schedule test drives, but nothing concrete in the way of a selling price number...

Do you have any tips on negotiating a better deal? What should I be especially certain to keep a lookout for?

Thanks so much!

Lulu
    Car_man,

Here's a specific response from one of the dealers and it seems that the MF is different from the one you stated is available in DC.

Here are the terms:

Down payment: $2,500
    Refundable security deposit: $300
    First month's payment: $279
    Amount due at lease inception: $3,654
    Excludes taxes, title and dealer fees
    55% and .00115
    We went to look at some A3s

Here was our best offer
    MSRP: 31,485
    Selling Price: 29,350
    MF: .0009
    Residual: 55 (56 if we take the audi service)

what do you think? seems pretty great to us.
  • jnm3jnm3 Member Posts: 2
    the demand may be high where you and supplies may be low but if you are going to basically pay MSRP wait for the 2010s to get here. they aren't selling a lot of $36k A3's as it is so they should want to get the 09's off the lot but if not then i say wait. we got one last night that wasnt as pricey as yours but it ended up being $2,133 off invoice (though we do have an extra $500 loyalty credit).

also that money factor is high. the current base is .00081 which our dealer gave us, how is your credit?

im not sure your residual rate is correct on that car either.
  • jdmjdjdmjd Member Posts: 1
    As a California resident my son (age 25) is seeking to take advantage of Audi's special leasing before the end of today on an Audi A3 automatic. He has been given the price as $29,988. He has been offered a monthly payment of $311.84 with a $2700 down payment. Based on a post I saw on your site, is it worth taking the $895 wear and tear insurance option. He will be driving the full 15,000 miles per year and goes snowboarding a lot. Also, you mentioned the ability to negotiate more miles at a discounted rate. Is this at the time of the lease or later into it? What is a good residual value for this car? Finally, is a $350 fee upon return of the car mandatory or can we bargain that one away? Thanks for your help
  • novattnovatt Member Posts: 8
    I am looking for a MF, residual on an A3 with 12k/month on a 24 month lease.

I am wondering if Audi is offering a customer loyalty incentive as I currently have an A6.

Thanx Carman
    Hey lulu20. The selling price that you were quoted for the A3 that you are interested in looks good. Just make sure that the dealer that you are working with uses Audi Financial Services' buy rate lease money factor of .00075 to calculate your monthly payment (for others reading this post, this is a special regional program that is only available in California, Florida, and Washington DC).

Car_man
    Host
    Hi jdmjd. Unless your son is notoriously tough on his vehicles, he probably would be better off passing on the excess wear and tear coverage. Audi's WearCare plan is a different story though. The cost of this pre-paid maintenance plan is partially offset by a special residual value boost that Audi provides on leased vehicles that are covered by this plan.

If your son knows that he will drive more than 15,000 miles per year, he would be better off paying for the additional miles that he plans to use at lease signing than waiting until the end of his lease and having to pay a penalty for excess wear and tear. Miles that are purchased at signing are less expensive.

Audi Financial Services charges a $575 acquisition fee at lease signing and a $350 disposition fee at lease-end. Neither of these charges are negotiable, but AFS will waive its disposition fee for consumers who lease another vehicle through them.

It is difficult for me to give you my opinion on the selling price that your son was quoted for this car without knowing what its MSRP is. The MSRP will show me how much of a discount he is being given. Let me know what it is and I'll tell you what I think.,

I see that the deal that he was quoted includes a $2,700 down payment. He would be better off going with a zero down lease, even though it means his monthly payment will be a little higher. Consumers who make large down payments on leases risk losing part or all of them if their vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen and never recovered.

Once your son has arrived at a selling price that he is comfortable with, make sure that the dealer calculates his lease payment using Audi Financial Services' buy rate lease money factor. AFS' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a base 2008 Audi A3 2.0T with 15,000 miles per year are .00075 and 48% in California.

Car_man
    Host
    Greetings novatt. Here is the information that you're looking for. Audi Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24 month lease of a base 2008 Audi A3 2.0T with 12,000 miles per year are .00286 and 58%, respectively in most of the country. In California, Florida, and Washington DC Audi is running a special, enhanced lease program on this car featuring a money factor of .00075.

Unfortunately, Audi is not providing any owner loyalty cash on the A3 right now.

Car_man
    Host
  • zkaudiozkaudio Member Posts: 60
    Anyone have any figures for current a3 leases? I am more specifically trying to find what other people have paid. I am getting the runaround from all of my local SoCal dealers...
  • mfscintimfscinti Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I live in Cincinnati, Ohio and I am looking for some input on whether the price I was quoted for a new 2007 A3 is a good one or not. The car is a 2.0T, 6 speed and not heavily optioned, only metallic paint and open sky. The MSRP is $27,910 and the selling price is $24,500, which includes the $590 maintenance cost waiver, if it is a purchase. This is the lowest the dealer will go.I thought 20% off the MSRP was a good price but that was rejected by the dealer.

If I lease it, the maintenance cost is added on which increases the residual a little. The lease would be 36 months, 12,000 miles per year, and a residual of 42% or $11,792. The money factor is 0.00206. I have a 2000 Audi A6 2.7T with 80,000 miles as a trade and was offered $6,500. The lease cost with the trade in is about $324/month and about $475/month if I take the trade in money back in cash.

My concern is that I'm not getting enough price reduction for a 2007, given the extra depreciation of the leftover 2007 model. I also think the trade in price is low,since the Edmunds estimate is about $8,500 but the dealer uses the Black Book. What do you think?

Thanks,

Mike
  • jccai1jccai1 Member Posts: 113
    Hi Car_Man,

I'm interested leasing a 2008 A3 2.0T with S-line and S-tronic for 24-month, 12,000 miles/year. The residual and MF quoted to me by the dealer seem quite bad: 56% and .00345. I live in Texas, by the way. Do these number look right to you?

Thanks a bunch!
    Hi jccai1. Audi is running a special lease program on the 2008 A3 in certain states right now. Unfortunately, Texas is not one of them. As a result, if you were to lease one through Audi Financial Services in your area right now, you would have to use its standard lease money factors. Even though AFS' standard factor isn't great, it is a lot better than the .00345 that you were quoted. Its current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2008 A3 2.0T with the S-Line package and 12,000 miles per year are .00261 and 57%, respectively. Make sure that the dealer that you are working with uses this lease program to calculate your car's monthly payment.

Car_man
    Host
  • migitymigity Member Posts: 4
    Does this seem fair? I would prefer to have a zero drive off, is this possible with Audi?

Below is the e-mail quote I received from the Internet Sales Manager:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T S-Tronic
    Lava Gray Pearl Effect
    Light Gray Leather
    Options:
    Premium Package
    Open Sky System
    Heated Seats
    Rear Side Airbags
    Wood Trim
    iPod Adapter

MSRP: $32,685
    Internet Price: $31,272

36 month lease with 10K miles/year
    $339 plus tax with $4,869 due at signing (structured like the lease ad).

or

36 month lease with 10K miles/year
    $425 plus tax with $1,856 due at signing (I took out the $2,999 down payment).
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------
  • gforce11gforce11 Member Posts: 225
    Ouch...it seems so much...I think the MF is so darn unattractive for Audi's right now.
    At this price, I'd probably head over to Infiniti for a G37
  • cubcubcubcub Member Posts: 4
    Hi guys,

I'm coming to the end of my '04 Audi A4 lease. The cars been in two accidents and has been repaired, but nonetheless I am stressed about what awaits me at turn-in inspection.

I visited the dealership yesterday and they informed me that i had $5000 of wear and tear allowance built into my lease. Of course this was in context of me saying i was interested in getting into an A3. (Note, i lost my copy of the lease agreement in a house fire so I'm flying blind.)

A few questions:

1) Does the $5000 allowance sound legit? Or is this a ploy to get me into another audi.

2) Does anyone know what the MF, etc is on an A3 in Southern California is right now?

Thank you in advance,

Stressed
  • gforce11gforce11 Member Posts: 225
    5000 seems a tad high, my tsx has 1500...but here's the trick, each "ding", no matter how big or small counts for 500. which means, they let me get away with 3 "dings" that cost no more than 500 bucks to repair. pretty tricky, i would check with audi financial. when i turned in my a4 last year, i had probably one noticeable scratch on my rear bumper. I turned it in without an inspection and i wasn't billed by Audi, they just billed me for the disposition fee and thats it.
  • cubcubcubcub Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the reply. I checked and I do have $5000 in allowance. So I'm feeling a bit better. Maybe I'm just being paranoid.
  • jkenikjkenik Member Posts: 6
    msrp: $32,520
    selling price: $30,667 (dealer cost $30,907)
    Resid. value: 49% ($15,934)
    Buy rate: .000700
    Price Adjustment $949 (assuming this is to reduce the drive off)
    Drive off $479

10k/36m $442 + tax

Thanks!
    Hi jkenik. $300 under dealer invoice is an excellent selling price for a 2008 Audi A3. The money factor that you were quoted looks good as well. It is right in line with what Audi's April buy rate was in the states that it is running its special enhanced lease offer on this car in, assuming that you are having your car's security deposit waived.

Car_man
    Host
  • nbarornbaror Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, I just got a 2008 A3 2.0T Manual Trans with Premium Package, Open Sky and iPod. Black on Black.

MSRP: $29,555
    Final Negotiated Price: $27,281.00
    Monthly Payment for 3yrs / 15K miles: $399.99

Money down was 2,000
    Here's the breakdown for the down payment:
    Cap Cost Reduction: $730.25
    First monthly payment: $400
    Acquisition Fee: $575
    CA License Fee: $241
    Doc Fee: $45
    CA Tire Fee: $8.75

Purchased at Rusnak Audi, Pasadena, CA. A real pleasure to deal with. Their internet manager is patient, helpful and doesn't play games. He gave me the best price I'd seen on this vehicle with no negotiating.
  • manolo444manolo444 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have been shopping around for an Audi A3, Manual, Premium Package and Open Sky - Lease 36 months/12K

The quotes I have been getting seem very hight to me: between $500 and $550.

What is the residual and money factore for such a car?

Is this due to the fact that they are trying to get rid of the 2008 A4 (the 1st answer i get from dealers when I inquired about the A3 is: "you should get an A4")???

Shoud I wait for July or August?

Thanks a lot for your help and advices.
    Emmanuel
  • billdctbilldct Member Posts: 38
    It appears that there are no specail A3 lease deals currently in Connecticut. Does anyone know which states there are deals in at the current time?. The prices posted by nbaror are great compared to what is around here. I have purchased/leased cars out of state previously and have no problem traveling to get a better deal.
    Hi billdct. Audi is currently only providing lease support on the A3 in about half of the country, specifically its "Southern" and "Western" regions. If you live in Connecticut you will not be able to take advantage of this regional lease support, even if you were to lease from a dealer in one of these areas because eligibility is based upon your place of residence.

Car_man
    Host
  • billdctbilldct Member Posts: 38
    Thanks for the information. I guess there is no A3 in my future as I don't want to buy the car and the car leases very poorly in my area.
    You're very welcome, billdct. It certainly does not appear that Audi wants to lease the 2008 A3 right now. It completely eliminated all of its lease support on it in July. On the bright side, it introduced new dealer cash on it this month, $2,000 on the 2WD and $2,500 on the quattro.

Car_man
    Host
  • RicksterRickster Member Posts: 40
    I just got an email from a dealer that made it seem like Audi has started a new lease program for 2008 models. Anyone know anything about that?
  • alteon180ealteon180e Member Posts: 1
    just leased an a3 3.2:

36mo/12K
    MSRP: $38,025
    Negotiated Price: $34,900
    Money Factor: .00155 (Audi Financial)
    Residual: 48%
    T.O.P.: $3,400 ($1,900 Cap)
    Monthly: $456.21 + tax

Could have gotten a better deal, but for a limited A3, im happy. Carman tell me i didnt get robbed :P
    P.S. Last day of the month hostile walk in i was....
  • vlad101vlad101 Member Posts: 2
    These are the terms that I received from SoCal:

36mo/12K
    Purchase Price : $28,873 (incl.tax and license)
    Money Factor: .00155 (Audi Financial)
    Residual: 45%
    Money Down: $1,700 (incl. 1st month payment)
    Monthly: $425 + tax

They say the lease terms are better on the A4. It's a more expensive car so I assume the payments might be about the same. I like the A3 better tho. But with these terms I may just look elsewhere. Any thoughts?
  • vlad101vlad101 Member Posts: 2
    I was able to get the payments to $1,700 down, $400 a month including tax.
    Yep, what you heard is right, Rickster. Audi tried to pull the plug on its special lease program for the A3, but after sales tailed off and dealers started to freak out they brought it back. Audi Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor for a 36 month lease of an '08 A3 2.0T is currently .00155. Its residual values vary by trim level and mileage allowance.

Car_man
    Host
  • fasanfamilyfasanfamily Member Posts: 9
    Thought I'd share my results with the forum since I have been using these boards as a valuable reference over the past 2 months in my research. Just got myself an ‘08 A3 today. Misano Red 2.0 T auto S-tronic S Line with Open Sky System, 18″ wheels and bluetooth. MSRP $33,670. Selling price was $27,299. 36 month lease, 12k/year miles, $1400 due at signing, $450/month after tax. Car is great and it seems like I got a pretty good deal on their last ‘08. Deal was through US Bank, not Audi because supposedly the deal woudn't have been as good through them. The US Bank MF was .002something and residual was in the 40s so no help there but selling price way below invoice helped balance things out. Location is LA area.
  • loggieloggie Member Posts: 55
    MSRP - 38040
    Sell Price - 31750
    36 month / 15k miles
    $550/month including tax
    $999 due at signing
    Hi fasanfamily. Thanks for taking the time to give back by sharing the details of your lease with everyone. As you know, real world examples like this are always helpful for others who are in the market for similar vehicles. If you'd like, you can stop by the Dealer Ratings & Reviews section of Edmunds.com to share your thoughts on your recent dealer experience as well. Thanks again and enjoy your new A3 :shades: .

Car_man
    Host
  • kurtisgkurtisg Member Posts: 1
    09 A3 2.0T S-tronic fwd
    Premium
    Convenience
    Nav
    Open Sky

MRSP: $36,050

Price quoted: $32,995

I should start by saying I've never leased a car before. I usually just buy them. I went in purchase this car for cash on the best price I could negotiate. I'm also looking to trade in my 2000 S4 w/110k mi.

They only offered me $5k for my trade.

Then I asked what the lease terms would be if I applied the $5k trade as my cash down.

36 mo/10,000 miles/yr

MSRP: 36,050
    Residual %: 52%
    Initial cap cost: 32,995
    Lease Money Factor: .00110
    Monthly payment: 386.36

Any advice? I know I should get more for my trade but they gave me the story about how hard these cars (older S4s) are to sell at auction these days, blah, blah.

If I just buy the car outright is 3K off MSRP typical? It was the best "Internet offer" I received.
This discussion has been closed.