Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A4 Lease Questions

Comments

• firstleasefirstlease Member Posts: 4
    Carman,

Please give me your opinion, am I getting a good deal?

I am leasing my first car, Audi A4, since the lease deal is fantastic ($359 mo plus tax, fees, etc). I have a trade-in that wholesales for $21000. I was offered $22,000 after negotiations with one of the two Audi dealers in town. The other one will not go over $21,000 for the same car and tells me the other dealer is playing games with a higher money factor and lower sales price to give me $1000 more.

Here are the details. Is this a good deal? I am getting $1000 more for my car and I can take the lease with or without the trade, it just confuses me. From the "lease worksheet"

MSRP 30960
    Gross Cap cost 29025 (includes the $575 fee I believe)
    Cap reduction 126.51
    Net cap cost 28898.49
    Adj residual 22291
    Tot term dep 6607.29
    monthly dep 275.30
    mo. lse chrg 84.46
    Base payment 359.76 + tax 29.14= $388.90
    The money factor is .00165 (higher than most others) but they are making it up with a price that is below invoice or at least lower than the other dealer will sell) according to the dealer that says he cannot match them.

What is going on here? Deal ends today.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi firstlease. Since you are new to the world of leasing, you definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

Let's take a look at the specific deal that you were offered. You were quoted a selling price $28,450 (with the $575 acquisition fee backed out) for a 2006 Audi A4 that has an MSRP of $30,960. This car probably has a spread of around $2,200 between its full MSRP and dealer invoice price, so the price that you were quoted is indeed probably slightly below dealer invoice. As you suspected though, the dealer that you are working with is marking up Audi's buy rate lease money factor for this car from .00115 to .00165 to add additional hidden back-end profit to this deal. I personally prefer to keep deals straightforward and not deal with money factor mark-up. See what sort of price this dealer would be willing to sell you this car for using the base money factor. Have you compared this monthly payment to one from another dealer? Perhaps the money factor mark-up is making this deal worse than if you had used the buy rate and a slightly higher selling price. What sort of payments have other dealers quoted you?

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hello bchan88us. So you leased a 2007 Audi A4 2.0T quattro that has an MSRP of $36,865 with a selling price of $34,459. The car that you described probably has a spread of around $2,500 between its full MSRP and dealer invoice price, so the $2,400 discount that you were given on it looks like a very good price to me. I just worked up a lease payment on this car using Audi's current lease program and the prices that you mentioned in your post and I estimate that this car's 30 month, 12,000 mile per year, zero down, pre-tax monthly payment should be around $382. Once sales tax is added in, $395 a month sounds about right to me. This looks like a pretty good deal. Enjoy your new car and Happy New Year.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi bchan88us. You would not receive a new car from your insurance company if you total your leased A4. In the event that your car is totaled in an accident, your insurance company will pay off the bank that you are leasing it through and you will get nothing. This is why it is never a good idea to make a large down payment when leasing. Consumers who make one risk losing it if their vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen and never recovered.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • firstleasefirstlease Member Posts: 4
    Thank you for the reply. The other Audi dealer in town (both owned by the same group) told me that the dealer giving me $1000 more for my car was losing money and they would not do it because they are a lower volume store. I went to both dealers regarding the $359 special on the basic A4 CVT 2.0T. The dealer with the .00165 MF showed me how it comes out to 359 w/o tax. The other dealer will sell the car for more but give the .00115 MF. Both come out to $359/mo without tax and $388 with tax/license/mo. The real difference is that I do want to trade my old car and one dealer will give $1000 more. I am supposed to close the deal today. If I tell them I want the lower MF, they may tell me to take a hike. My worry is the offer ends 1/2.

Putting aside the games, if one dealer sells the car for less with a higher MF vs. the other dealer selling for more with a lower MF, do I care? After reading this forum, I was going to ask to capitalize the fees/taxes, so I can see the higher MF, adding costs there.

Is this a sign of shady dealer? They claim they just want the A4's out there and are willing to lose $ to get a future customer.
    No problem, igoral. OK, let's work up a couple of lease payments for this car and see what sort of a difference the change in mileage allowance makes. According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2007 Audi A4 2.0T quattro Sedan with an MSRP of $33,510 and a selling price of $32,000 through Audi Financial Services right now for 24 months with 12,000 miles per year, your zero down, pre-tax monthly payment should be around $352. The payment for an otherwise identical lease with 15,000 miles per year would be $379. So, in this instance increasing your car's mileage allowance from 12,000 miles per year to 15,000 miles per year would cost you around $27 per month.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • igoraligoral Member Posts: 24
    Thank you, Car_man!

So, it seems that the monthly payment goes up by $9 for every 1,000 miles. In this case, the monthly payment for the same lease with 10K miles should be around $334 per month. That will certainly help me when I talk to the dealer.

Now, if only tjruss gave me the dealership info where he got his car from that would be fantastic! :) I am looking for the same car as his, except for exterior and interior colors.
  • tjrusstjruss Member Posts: 14
    igoral,
    the dealer is Paul Miller Audi in Parsipanny, NJ. I worked with John Russo. This was the first deal he came back with and said it was the best they could do. I sort of believe him, as I was ready to buy and it was the last day of December. I'm thinking that since the car wasn't on the lot he said it would be a January delivery that it may not have counted towards their December number. Very low pressure. I thought that was wierd for a car dealer...

None the less, I think it's a pretty good deal. It's about $20/mth. cheaper than the special lease offer...
    I asked about going to 12K miles/year, but his response was that the 24 mth leases were locked at 15K.

Good Luck. Let me know how you make out.
  • bchan88usbchan88us Member Posts: 12
    Hello bchan88us. So you leased a 2007 Audi A4 2.0T quattro that has an MSRP of $36,865 with a selling price of $34,459. The car that you described probably has a spread of around $2,500 between its full MSRP and dealer invoice price, so the $2,400 discount that you were given on it looks like a very good price to me. I just worked up a lease payment on this car using Audi's current lease program and the prices that you mentioned in your post and I estimate that this car's 30 month, 12,000 mile per year, zero down, pre-tax monthly payment should be around $382. Once sales tax is added in, $395 a month sounds about right to me. This looks like a pretty good deal. Enjoy your new car and Happy New Year.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum

thank you very much for your help. i am picking up my a4 on tuesday and i will call the salesman to capitalize the up-front payment into my monthly payment. since i did not pick up my car, is it too late to change the payment term?
  • 250directfinan250directfinan Member Posts: 2
    A4 Quatro Sedan (AWD) Lease at Royal Motors in SF
    - Premium Package
    - Convienience package
    - seat warmer Package
    - + 1 more in which I forgot
    - Metallic paint

Terms of Lease:
    - 2 year 30k miles
    - 34306 price (MSRP is 36,776)
    + 495 Excess Wear Package
    + 575 Acquisition Fee
    - 35376 Total

Bottom line
    - 821.57 Drive off Fee
    - 474.99 montly fee includes taxes per month

+ Free gas fill up and detail on appointment

I've been trying to understand how to negotiate and learning from the forums posted here. I want to see what I could've done differently to get a better deal

Thanks for your help...

Happy 2007!!!!
    Thank you tjruss!

I appreciate the info!
  • megsfmegsf Member Posts: 6
    Hi,

Yesterday I posted an offer I received from Rector Audi in Burlingame, CA (Audi A4 lease terms, $400 over invoice). I ended up at Carlsen Audi in Palo Alto (of which I heard many great things on this board). Right off the bat, the internet sales person offered $101 under invoice with Audi A4 lease terms (MF of .00115 and 73% residual). I felt it was a great offer! Here are the specifics:

Audi A4 Quattro
    Deep Sea Blue Metallic
    Premium Package
    Convenience Package

MSRP: $35,635
    Invoice (incl. port prep & ad fee): $33,601
    Selling price: $33,500
    Fees (title, Acquisition, registration, doc fee): $620
    Adjusted Cap Cost: $34,120
    Residual: $26,013.55
    Depreciation: $8106.45
    Rent charge: $1659.63
    Base monthly payment: $406.92
    Sales tax (8.5%): $34.59
    Total monthly payment: $441.51

Total drive off: $737.26 (1st mo + license fee + CA tire fee)

It was a great experience. Thanks to Car man and all the other contributors on this board - what a valuable asset!
  • 250directfinan250directfinan Member Posts: 2
    Hi Megsf,

I just purchase a quatro in SF and trying to figure out how good my deal was. It looks like we have very similar deals, but I see you saved about $900. Curious to know the how did you save the following:

- Did they waive the acquisition fee?
    - Did you get the excessive wear and tear?
    - do you have heated seat option?

Thanks for your help.....
    H 250directfinan,

The acquisition fee is listed in my specs (under fees). They put that in with my monthly payment. I do not have excessive wear and tear or heated seats.

Hope this helps!
  • woody50woody50 Member Posts: 9
    Carman and friends,
    Happy 07 all!
    I have reworked the $$numbers with my local Audi dealer, but before I sign, I would like to get your opinion for the A4 2007 Quattro
    MSRP: $33510
    Initial cap cost $31,550: acqu fee upfront: 575, total initial fees $754; total annual fees: $85, total monthly payment $377; LEV 73.00% and LE Value: $24,462. 15k miles/yr
    Upfront due at start includes: $377 1st month, Registration $85; ACQ fee: $575; Doc fees: $179 and acq tax $28.
    Premium pkg, quattro, hot red color,heated seats
    They have offered to buy my 2002 ML 320 with 63,000 miles for $12,500. Thanks to Carman, I will put that money in the bank, not the lease.
    Have I missed anything?
    Thanks all!
    Woody50 in Boston area
    Hi Woody50,

The only thing I can suggest, as I did b/c it was suggested by Carman et al, is to wrap up the acq & doc fees into your monthly payment. It raises your payment a bit but it is better to drive off with paying as little up front as possible. The only fee that my dealer would not wrap up into the monthly was the DMV license fee.

Good luck!
  • silverbakedsilverbaked Member Posts: 4
    Hey there...can anymore recommend a dealer in Southern California that gave them a great A4 lease deal? Like everyone else, looking to get one today. Thanks everyone!
    Hi woody50,
    Nice deal. does that 377 include tax? I have a deal with same MSRP and $24,462 cap cost, but my payments are coming out at $386/mth incl. taxes. If I keep my out of pocket to the 1st payment and wrap the rest of the up front (acq, DMV, misc), payments go to $428 incl tax. What is your total out of pocket on delivery?
    Hi tjruss,
    The taxes on this deal total $461, which appear to be rolled into the lease. The breakdown at this point for total due at start is:
    First monthly: $377.78
    ACQ fee: 575
    Documentary fee: 179
    ACQ tax: 28
    total inception: 1,245 which they'd like at the start.
    I think carman would suggest we roll that right into the lease, which I may do. My car arrives on Friday so I still have time to work on the details.
    Does that work?
    woody
    woody50,
    looks right. your registration and taxes look lower, but I'm in NJ. Most states have lower everything than NJ...
    I will probably roll the fees into my payment. It puts me at $429/mth for the 24 months.
    It's higher than what I originally wanted to go, but it's a great car and it will make the wife happy - it's really her car. We were looking at the Saturn Aura XR before I came across this special lease. The Aura's a nice car, but my wife really lit up when she drove the A4 plus the AWD is a plus here! That's worth the price of admission...
    Enjoy your A4!!!
    tjruss,

I promised to let you know how I did with my lease. Your salesperson was not available. So, I talked to another one.

Here is what I got:

A4 2.0T Quattro
    Black and Ebony
    Premium package
    Convenience package
    Heated seats
    Bluetooth

MSRP: 36,110
    Selling Price: 34,234 (Invoice + $200) By the way, apparently, invoice includes $495 adv and prep fees.
    Residual 73%
    MF: 0.00115
    Monthly Payment: 397.75 + Tax
    Fees: 575 + 169 + 250(DMV)

I wish I could have gotten this car for less than invoice, but... :D

What do you guys think - good deal or not?
    igoral,
    sounds like a decent deal. I almost bought the same car. I was debating about bumping up to the conv. pkg and the dark wood int. trim, but I was already over where I wanted to be.
    What did you think of the dealership? I was surprised that they really didn't want to haggle and that their 1st offer was pretty decent. I guess they've been moving alot of these A4's, that they don't need to give them away...
    Good luck with the car!
  • theprogrammertheprogrammer Member Posts: 8
    Took the plunge today and leased a 2.0T auto quattro black/black A4 with conv, prem, audio, bluetooth, sport suspension (not the S-line package). Payments come to about 437+tax since i got the buy rate MF and 73% residual. My final price was 6% off MSRP (before the dest fee and adding back the dest fee after the discount) so it came to about $100 below invoice. The thing that made a big difference when I drove was the sport suspension... love the way the car handles and I look forward to 2 yrs of fun! Thanks a lot everyone with all your helpful postings and a special thank you to Car_Man.
  • atsenbatsenb Member Posts: 34
    After seeing the "Bloomberg Special" rate on Friday 12/29/06 for $319/month lease + 1065 upfront down + 575 acq. fee I decided to take a look at leasing the A4.

Read through most of people's deals here on the board, and decided to hop over to westside (I am in NYC) to Zumbachs (sp?).

Dealer was not well-staffed. Wanted to test drive the A4 Quattro 2.0T w/Sports Suspension, was told that they don't really stock those. Ended up test-driving a 3.2 manual. Okay feeling, kinda light on steering.

Dealer gave a pretty poor deal and was refusing to negotiate because they don't really have inventory. This is the rate they gave me:

Quartz Metallic w/tiptronic, heated Seats
    MSRP: $33,985
    Selling Price: $32,985 (would not even budge a penny!)
    Residual: 73%
    Monthly Payment (incl. tax): 472.30 (rolled acq. fees in)
    Total upfront at pickup: ~ 760 = 472.30 + TTL + doc. fees.

Went back to the office, made a call to Great Neck's Audi, and got quote for exact same car:
    MSRP: $33,985
    Selling Price: $32,800
    Monthly Payment: $464.94 (including tax)
    Total upfront at pickup: ~ 680-700? (not really sure, didn't get confirmation)

Called a third dealer in Lynbrook, Long Island and got quoted for a pearl paint car:
    MSRP: $34,260
    Selling Price: $32,710 (about 360 over invoice)
    Monthly Payment: $450 (including tax)
    Total upfront at pickup: ~660 (including 1st month, TTL, tire fees, etc.)

Overall, I think I paid about 360 over the invoice, but I did this last minute at around 7:30pm over the phone, so I didn't bargain for the last couple of hundred dollars. And the reason that I went with this dealer is that they don't really have any other "dealer fees" added into the #s, which is pretty good since they lumped everything into the Selling price. Probably could have lowered the overall monthly payment by about $15 (360/24), but I guess it's better to get in on this deal while it is still available.

Thanks to all who shared their experiences and how to demystify leasing!
    Thanks tjruss!

By the way, did the dealer explain to you the deal with DMV fees that they are charging?

I spoke to my salesperson and he told me that these amounts that they list as DMV fees ($197 in NJ and $250 in NY) are not exact. The actual DMV fees for your car will be significantly lower. So, once the car is registered, you are supposed to get a refund for the difference between $197 and the actual amount of DMV fees paid.

Just make sure to have the dealer tell you how much exactly he paid to register your car.
  • atsenbatsenb Member Posts: 34
    FYI, got a call back from one of the dealers and he's telling me that the Audi Financial Service's special lease is extended to 1/7/07.

Haven't see the actual extension on Audi website.
    igoral, Thanks for the heads up.
    No he didn't mention it specifically. He did say that the 'Starts' (acq fee, dealer admin, dmv, etc) may fluctuate a little, which must be the DMV fee because the others seem like they would be fixed costs.

When do you pick-up you car?
    tjruss, I am picking up my car tomorrow. How about you?

Re: Fees...When you are signing the lease, make sure that they show you exactly what fees they paid on your behalf, how much and for what.

Also, make sure that they calculated tax correctly. Double check their calculations. And, if you are capitalizing the tax into your lease, make sure they quote you the correct total payment. When I asked how much the monthly payment would be, if I were to capitalize the tax, the number they gave me was $6-$7 higher that it should have been according to my calculations. When I pointed out the discrepancy, they tried to tell me that it had to do with interest on the tax, but after I said that it didn't make any sense, they tried to play dumb by saying that this is what "the computer calculated" and they have no control over those numbers, which is BS. So, as the saying goes, buyer beware!

Other than that, enjoy your car, you did get a good deal!
    That's true. I received the same info from another dealer.
  • floridabob2floridabob2 Member Posts: 6
    I saw the lease deal listed and extended until 1/7/07 on aol autos.
  • fellyfelly Member Posts: 16
    I see pretty good deals posted here, but my question is are you putting any money down and how much. My dealer is offering me a $34,000 07 A4 for $523 montly payments. This sounds pretty high for me.

Thanks for any advise
  • desgnconcptsdesgnconcpts Member Posts: 53
    felly,
    Don't take this as being rude -- but -- please read back through the last few pages of these posts. Do NOT put any money down -- Car_Man (Host) has repeated this over and over and I have repeated this in my posts to other folks here. If you read through the last few pages, you'll see why.

Now for your deal, with no other details, no one can tell you for sure. We'd need MSRP, Invoice and net cap cost -- along with terms of the lease mo/miles. $523 sounds pretty high to me even if it includes tax and no money down. My own deal was under $540 a mo including tax with no money down (and I'm in IL where you have to pay full amount of tax as if you bought the car).
    felly, when I first spoke with my Audi dealer, I did not mention the special lease deal going on. As a result, he quoted me about the same numbers you are looking at, nearly $500 bucks. He was also using a money rate of .00020 instead of .00115. When I asked about the special lease deal at Audi, he then gave me the details and the payment dropped to $359/month....if I went with the 2yr/15,000 mile lease. Metallic paint added $7 more per month but who cares. The negotiated price I worked out was 31,550...not MSRP.
    Good luck!
    Woody (Boston area)
    Picked up my car a few hours ago. Very nice ride! :D

They corrected the sales tax figure to match my calculations and gave me an option to capitalize sales tax and the acquisition fee with the correct total payment that I calculated, as opposed to $7 higher payment that they calculated before!

Overall, I had a very good experience at the dealership. No pressure. No BS. Willing to spend as much time with you going over financial details as you need.
  • fellyfelly Member Posts: 16
    Sorry for not including enough details on my first posting. I'm also new to this Audi forum. The car in question is a black 2.0T Quattro with Premium and Convenience packages, Bose and Heated seats. Selling price around $34,500. The dealer is offering this with the 3yr/10,000 mile lease. $520 with 2 down seems quite high to me.
  • ltsmithltsmith Member Posts: 2
    The dealer has quoted me a price of $399 per month plus tax for the following 24 month lease. I've tried to do the figures myself but need assistance. It seemed slightly high to me.

2007 A4 awd sedan
    black, cold weather, premium, convenience packages
    MSRP: $35935
    Selling price: $34250

$1350 due at signing

The money factor and the residual value is the standard that audi is using I am told. .00115 and 73%.

Is $399 plus tax the correct monthly payment for these figures?

Thanks in advance.
  • newt250newt250 Member Posts: 8
    All,

My 2003 A4 1.8T is coming of lease in February. I have gone significantly over mileage (60k Total) and am facing a penalty of $3k on turn in. I have a buy it price of 14,900. According to my searches online, the value of the car is higher than the buy price. Would I do better to buy it and sell it to another dealer/3rd party? According to my calculations, I think so, but I wanted to get others opinions. Thanks in advance.

Newt
    I got an A4, not a quatro, with premium pkg, wood trim and metallic paint for $381 including tax with $1000 out of pocket which included the first payment. They also made the last payment on my previous car. The present lease deal until 1/7 is 900 and change out of pocket and $359/mo without tax.
    I just read that it was a quatro. I believe the lease deal on that is $379/mo plus tax/15,000 mi and premium pkg included(2 yr lease) Not sure about the cost of the options. If you check online, you can see the price of each option on the audi A4's. I believe I found it by going to aol auto.
  • larwil324larwil324 Member Posts: 18
    I would double check the tax amount that was rolled into your monthly payment. If you compare the total taxes before they were rolled in, you will find that they were somewhat lower. I don't think the total tax amount should change to a higher amount just because it is rolled into the cap cost of the vehicle but this is happening. For anyone reading this let me know your opinion.
  • vizviz Member Posts: 75
    Does 14,900 include taxes as well?
    Did you check www.kbb.com with a fair condition? How much was it?
    Do a reality check before buying it. Do you have carmax dealer nearby? Go there and get the selling price for free.
    Thanks,
    Viz
  • longislandguylongislandguy Member Posts: 5
    Stopped by the dealer this afternoon. Checked out an A4 2.0T Quattro, metallic paint, wood trim, convenience pkg, heated seats, Audi maintenance plan.

Quoted $481/month, $690.50 out the door - first month payment and DMV fees, everything else rolled in.

Residual was 60% (36month/10k year), which I thought was quite poor.
    Money Factor was .00008 which I thought was quite good.
    MSRP 36,485 ; negotiated price 34,375 (500 above invoice).

What do you guys think? Your suggestions are appreciated. I've loved reading through the forum.
  • guru_ckguru_ck Member Posts: 25
    Hey Carman,

I posted these numbers previously but I think you skipped my post :( . Can you tell me how I did and if I could of improved on anything? I am going to go down and help my friend lease another car and I'd like to know if there is anything better I could negotiate this time around.

2007 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 6 speed

Base: 30,340.00
    Exterior Deep Sea Blue Pearl Effect 475.00
    Convenience package 2,100.00
    Premium package 800.00
    MSRP: 33,715.00

KBB Invoice 31,502.00
    Edmunds Invoice 31,934.00

Gross cap: 32,834.50
    Cap reduction: 1196.66
    Adjusted cap: 31637.84
    Residual value: 25137.55
    Rent charge: 2289.23
    Lease payments: 24 months
    Base monthly payment: 366.23
    Tax: 30.21
    Total monthly payment: 396.44

Down payment explained:
    Cap reduction: 1196.66
    Taxes on cap reduction: 98.72
    Acquisition fee: 575.00
    Sales tax: 47.44
    License fees: 277.00
    CA tire fee: 8.25
    First monthly payment: 396.44
    Total: 2600.01
    You're very welcome, igoral. Good luck in your quest for a new A4.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    No problem, bchan88us. As long as you have not physically taken delivery of your new car, technically you should be able to discuss the specifics of your deal with the dealer that you are working with and have them change something if it is not right. Of course, being able to do something and actually getting the dealer to do it ate two completely different things.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Congratulations on your new car, megsf. I'm glad that you were able to get such a good deal. Thanks for taking the time to share the details of your deal with everyone. Enjoy your new ride!

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hey woody50. This looks like a very good deal to me. If you like the car, I personally don't see any reason not to pull the trigger on this deal.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi igoral. Given the fact that Audi is not providing any cash incentives on the 2007 A4, the $200 over invoice that you got yours for is a very good deal. This looks like a great lease. Enjoy your new car.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    You're very welcome, theprogrammer. Congratulations on your new A4.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi ltsmith. Let's work up a lease payment on this car using the numbers that you provided. According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2007 Audi A4 that has an MSRP of $35,935, a selling price of $34,250, a money factor of .00115, and a residual value of 73% for 24 months, I come up with a zero down, pre-tax monthly payment of around $404. As you can see, the $399 per month that you were quoted is about right for this deal.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
This discussion has been closed.