Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado 2500 LD vs 2500 HD 6.0 liter

Comments

• mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    "ton" terms.....as it means nothing..

I got a 8600 Ado.....or a 9200 Ado..

Now it makes sense!

But yuppys gotta stay with a 1500.....so 1500HD it is...

- Tim
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Reason Tim wants 1500HD is because you can get it in Z71 ;)
  • randersenrandersen Member Posts: 52
    Hey Ryan, although I haven't seen any specs on this new 1500HD, but if it is rated at 8600GVWR, then most likely won't be a Z71 package available other than the heavy duty suspension upgrade which is just stiffer shocks. The 2500's have never had a Z71 even back in the old C/K series, only the 1500(1/2 ton).
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Did i ever say anything about a 2500 being a Z71?

Ryan
    But a 1500HD has the same specs as a 2500....ya dolt!

2500's don't need Z71...as they already have beefed up everything!.....and skid plates are available...

I think the only thing not available are the jounce??bumpers.....big deal....a 2500 suspension isn't that sloppy....

whatever....I just look forward and buy what I want.....Like that HD I drove the other nite...

..Now how to get a 480E tranny with an 8.1....hmmmmm

- Tim
  • dovehunterdovehunter Member Posts: 7
    Here is a brilliant idea for GM:
    Why not build a two-speed rear end for the 2500HD?
    Boy, that is a novel idea! Good mpg and it would be able to pull a load. In the current 2500HD Crew Cab with the 6.0 it comes standard with a 4.10 rear axle ratio. I have went round and round with the dealers trying to get GM to put a 3.73 in it but no luck...so that forces you into the 1500HD Crew Cab.
    It it correct that the 2500HD is truly a 1-ton truck, not a 3/4 ton and that the 1500HD is a 3/4 ton truck. A 3/4 ton truck is an all around truck that is hard to beat, and chicks dig it and guys think your cool.
    So, I think I will keep my 2500 emblem off of my 97 C-2500 and slap it on the new 1500HD (or buy GMC because I believe that they are not putting emblems on their trucks)
    Adios'
    Tim, you never did say what you don't like about the 5 spd Allison.
    there is no such thing as a 1500HD. Do you see any emblams 1500HD? NO

Ryan
    well...it's not the fact I don't like it....just that I don't need it!..and don't want to pay the price for something I don't need!

who knows?...perhaps I will have one..

it has a series of clinks and whines that are normal as I understand it..

it was a solid firm shift...and heated up very fast....but I like the feel of my 480 better

- Tim
    badges and stickers to you eh babs?

There is a surprise!

- Tim
  • 4x44x4 Member Posts: 114
    I also got my HD from Covert..got mine for invoice..2k1 LT Crew CAB 4x4 SWB ...and they delivered it to me in Houston..great guys up there..alot better than any of these houston dealers
    yea ive seen the pic it was a red 1500 crewcab gmc they refered to it as a 1500HD (the magazine people at pickuptruck.com)

It didnt say 1500HD on the side of the truck it just had the regular 1500 badging.

Ryan
    This crewcab craze is getting outta hand. Its all marketing if they say its a 1500 then more people will buy it.

Crewcabs should be left for the bigger trucks

Ryan
    guess what!?

- Tim
    WHAT?

Im in such suspense
    aren't for heavy trucks any more I guess!

- Tim
    you guess?

If you need a crew cab and not alot of towing capacity or bed room my suggestion is get a burb or tahoe. Tahoes can carry 4x8 sheets of plywood pretty darn good and have the passeneger room also.

Thats just me though.

Ryan
    Trailer
    Special K truck. Keep the muscle. Lose the fat.
    No back seat necessary.
    ...That burb I had for a week was damn nice....it gave me all the inside space I needed for stuff...but not having a pickup bed would bother me,....

But how often is it really?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

The avalanche would cure this problem....but it's too damn ugly for now

hmmmmmm

- Tim
    I like the idea of a crew cab since it gives rear passengers more leg room than an extended cab, but even with a shortbox, most garages will either barely fit or won't fit at all. My extended cab shortbox HD fits good in my garage with room for a brushguard up front or possibly leaving the trailer ball unit in the hitch. I think I might be shy a few inches of garage length for the crew cab. Hope GM realizes this before marketing too heavy on a vehicle that mostly likely won't fit too well in the average garage(like Ford's problem with the Excursion(and bad gas mileage)). But the crew cab pickup may be the anwer to someone who can't afford $42K+ list on a Suburban.
  • sdpiersonsdpierson Member Posts: 69
    American trucks need to drop the tonnage ratings.

Years ago the Japanese trucks were advertising they had 3/4 ton trucks. Technically they were right, their 3/4 tons carried 1500 lbs. While American 3/4 tons carried about 3500 lbs.

Could never understand why American manufactures shorted themselves.
    with a Crew is it has LESS room for stuff in the back than an extended cab!

I need a crew cab with a flip up seat like an extended cab!

- Tim
  • summitxsummitx Member Posts: 25
    Nice thing about the new HD's - The rear seat folds completely flat! Better than the x cab's that just fold up, IMHO.

A crew cab with a topper on it is like a suburban with an 'unfinished basement'!
    seats folded and how high they are up from the floor when folded....

- Tim
  • xringxring Member Posts: 129
    Has anyone noticed that the exhaust pipe in front of the catalytic converter on the inboard side (nearest the drive shaft) has a kink of kink in it while the outboard tube is nice and round? I noticed this on another truck like mine on the lot when I bought it. Seems like it would restrict the flow of exhaust? Anyone know anything about this? (Yeah, I've been accused of being anal for spending time under my truck!)

John
  • mhcompmhcomp Member Posts: 1
    I need some feedback! Has anyone been towing a trailer back & forth over the Rocky Mtns in Colorado and if so, has anyone done it with the 6L engine? I have a beast of a 77' with a punched out 454 & turbo 400 that goes and pulls like hell but it is time to get a new truck and I need some idea if the 6L would have enough guts to tow in the mountains. If you have experience doing this, please list trailer weight and speed going up to Eisenhower tunnel.

I have driven the 8L/Allison and it is quite a bit slower than my existing truck but I guess at 64 I need to stop being a kid.

Thanks for any feedback! ........Al
  • markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    get the 8.1L with allison and 4.10. Should have great performance. One of the turbo'd diesels might have better high altitude performance though....
  • keelynkeelyn Member Posts: 4
    We just pulled a big 3 horse trailer thru the mountains with our new 2500HD 8.1 with Allison trans. Didn't check the mileage. But I also have a 5.7 1/2 ton classic 99 & both trucks took real close to the same amount. Both trucks were pulling but the 1/2 ton only had a 2 horse trailer with 2 horses & over 1000 lbs more weight. My husband wouldn't give up the new one. Stated that it drove itself down the hills & automatically downshifted to keep him from gaining too much speed. Says it is the best truck he has ever had. We have a 3.73 rear end too. Has so much power. Never had a bit of problems.
  • outbakoutbak Member Posts: 10
    I am looking for some information on the new Silverado 2500HD. I am considering purchasing a 2500HD with 6.0L w/ automatic trans.. Specifically, any problems w/ the truck? drivetrain, engine, reliability, etc. Have you been satisfied w/ your truck overall? Any information would be helpfull. Thanks.
    I have only had my 2500HD for a month with 1800 miles on it and love it so far. It has the 6 liter and auto trans in an extended cab 4wd short box. Real comfortable truck for having a 1 ton GVWR. If I had to do it over again, I probably would, although I am going to give the Duramax diesel a closer look next time since they will be more available. Just put on an ARE Z-series fiberglass cap and Westin CPS stainless nerf bars on the truck. This truck is an attention getter. And so far no problems at all.
    Thanks for the information. I just ordered mine today. I ordered a base model 2500 HD, 4wd, extended cab short box, with A/C, automatic trans., cruise control, tinted windows, and the skid plate pkg.. Thats it. I will be using it for hauling a truck camper. And to go fishing and hunting--so I needed something I could beat on alittle bit and not worry about if the carpet is getting dirty or if the leather seats are getting soiled. Dealer says delivery times are running between 8 to 12 weeks. What kind of gas mileage have you been getting so far. Also, did you have to order yours? If so, how long did it take for you to receive your truck .It's Good to hear you haven't had any problems so far. Keep up the good work. Thank again!
    I ordered my truck in mid September and got it late November a few days after Thanksgiving. The dealer already had the basic 2500HD model I wanted on order for dealer stock, but changed options etc. to fit my specific order so I think that helped. This is just me, but I always factory order just because I am just that picky about options I want and don't want. The dealer only had one HD at the time of my order in September, and it was a factory order waiting for the customer to pick it up. My dealer said the factory is doing pretty good getting these new HD's out considering it's a new series. I live in the Chicago Suburbs and drive a far amount of highway, although heavy traffic and all the snow has really slowed down travel times. So far, even with temperature as low as -6 degrees, etc my mileage has ranged from 11 to 13, 70%highway, 30%town. So it should go up once it's warmer and the truck gets more broken in. And that is also without the cap. Hopefully the cap will give some better aerodynamics instead of an open bed. I bought my truck more to pull my ski-boat during the summers. Just a thought though. I bought the LS package with cloth seats etc, pretty loaded since this is my only vehicle. If you are worried about trashing the carpet on your hunting trips, there is a brand of heavy duty molded floor mats called 'Husky Liners' that I put in and you can get one for the back seat, too.
    If I could take delivery in 5 to 6 weeks I'd be satisfied. I ordered my trucks from the manufacture, also. I like to configure the truck exactly the way I want. Dealers, never have exactly what I want. And I don't mine waiting to receive the truck. If your going to pay the amount of money that these trucks cost you better get your way. My wife has Rhino liners in her Jeep. They keep the carpet perfect. But, I get the inside of my truck so dirty I have to wash it out with a hose. I just don't want to worry about it. Plus, I got my truck appointed with just enough goodies to make it comfortable. I think your milage will go up after you've put some more miles on it--and the top should help. It sounds like you've got a great truck and its perfect for what you will be using it for. I will let you know when mine arrives. Good luck.
  • gulfguygulfguy Member Posts: 30
    Reading the brochures and mags the major difference in the 6 liter engine is that in the HD truck it gets aluminum heads similar to the Vette motor, slightly different valve train.timing, etc for more power & torque.

Something I read somewhere also indicated the factory horsepower ratings for the 6 liter HD motor were extremely conservative. Sounds like the muscle car days of the 60s huh? I drove a 2500 HD ext cab short bed with the 6.0/automatic and it was a hotrod! Lots of ooompf but I ordered the 8.1 with a higher rear gear figuring to get towin oompf from the torque and let the rear gear even the mileage out.
  • sf0383sf0383 Member Posts: 204
    I was reading a review of the 2500hd with the 6.0 on a site yesterday ( Truckworld maybe?)and it led me to believe that one of the new features for the 2001's is dual catalytic converters to improve breathing. Can anyone confirm this?
    To each his own on how they order their trucks, but one thing I got on my truck was the roof lights. It just had a cool look. Since you have your truck set up for the ultimate weekend warrior for hunting etc, the roof lights might add to you HD's tough look. Until they dealer gets a build date, you can still add that and it lists for around $60.

Someone asked about dual catalytic converters on the new HD's. I don't know about all of them, but the Chevy brouchure shows a 3500 dually chassis and it does have dual converters. I think the engine was the 8.1 with the Allison. I have the 2500HD with a 6 liter and despite already doing one oil change at 1500 miles, didn't really look that closely at the exhaust. I will try to remember to look sometime. On the pictured 3500 dually, the pipes went in dual to one muffler but back out as a single.

The power numbers have varied on the 6 liter. Some say up to 325 h.p. on the 6 in the HD, others say 300 (same on the 2500 8600 GVWR trucks). One said the torque was up 10 ft lbs for the HD from 360 ft lbs. The 2001 Chevy brouchure says 300 h.p. for both but a GMC brouchure from last year's Chicago Auto show said 325 for the HD. Although, the Chevy brouchure did focus more on the new 8.1 liter and the Duramax diesel than the other engines. Go figure, the new Vortechs still tromp over the old 5.7 and 7.4 engines.
    Yes, I have heard the same thing about the horsepower for the 6.0. The brochure says 300hp but, the dealer and one of chevys web site ( I can't remember which one ) had it rated at 325hp. I test drove a 2500HD extra cab long box and it threw me back into the seat pretty good. I would think 300HP is probably conservative. I also, have notice that the payload numbers have changed from brochure to dealer to web sites. I understand that payload changes depending on what options you add or subtract from the truck but, I have seen the numbers vary as much as 600lbs that seem a big disparity.
    Randersen, I might look into those roof lights. I have always like the way roof lights look on a truck. We shall see. I think the first thing I will invest in will be a spray in liner. I would like to get a cap for it also but, I have a 2300lb (Dry weight) slide in camper that will go into the back of the truck--not all the time but, putting on and pulling off the shell to accomadate the camper will be to much of a headache. Also, maybe a Buell front step bumper with a 10,000lb Mile Marker winch ( I have to have something to go along with the skid plate package I got with the truck).
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    All the 6.0's in Silverado 2500s have dual convertors, not just the HDs. And all the 2001 6.0s have aluminum heads, not just the HDs.

All the specs, etc. listed on the Chevy Silverado website are the same for the 2500 and the HD models.

Mike L
    00 2500 4x4 6.0L 5spd 3.73
    Deadhorse, Alaska 6-6-99
    ...has dual catalytic converters. No biggie.
  • roger350roger350 Member Posts: 157
    From my oil change, I confirmed that the picture in the brochure was right. It is a dual in dual out muffler, but one of the out pipes then quickly joins the other one before going over the axle. Looks weird, but that is how my 2500HD 6.0 is.

As for the Mile marker winch, just a caution here, but be prepared to add an auxiliary hydraulic pump if you want to run one of these. The stock power steering pump already provides hydraulic boost to both the steering and the brakes. The power brake booster is hydraulic rather than the conventional vacuum unit in the 1500's. I would have reservations about tapping into the stock pump for a third appliance, even if it was a rarely used winch? Just my thoughts?
    Are you providing boost to those appliances in a winching situation? As I understand it you actualy have to be using the brakes or the power steering for the boost to be working, right? If not, then you could certainly tap the boost for a third appliance without overloading the boost unit. Because you certainly wouldn't be using the brakes in most winching situations until, of course, your unstuck.
    Another way of getting around this is to pave my driveway. Then a winch wouldn't be necessary in the winter months (sometimes in the winter months) to get back and forth to my house.
  • xringxring Member Posts: 129
    Hey guys - I've asked this question before several times in the Silverado topic but got no response. Since were talking about the cats on a 6.0L, I'll try again. I have a '00 2500 with the 6.0L built in June, 2000 and have noticed that the inboard exhaust tube just forward of the cat has a pretty severe kink in it. If you'all don't mind, take a look at yours and see if you have the same "kink" in your tube. Seems like it would restrict the flow of exhaust thus somewhat negating the benefit of having the dual cats - but I'm not a GM engineer.

Thanks,

John
    Mike,

I don't know very much about the boost system, so I can't answer your questions? You are certainly right that you wouldn't be doing much turning or braking during winching. And it seems reasonable that the system would have full pressure for just the winch in that case. It just seems to me that as you add more volume to the system, at some point you would need a larger pump to maintain the correct pressure? I would talk to Mile Marker about the whole situation, and get their advice? If they know that the system is providing boost to the steering, brakes, and the winch, and they think that is OK, than I'm sure it is.

Let me know what you find out from them. I was considering a mile marker also, until I thought about the pump situation. And in my case, I wanted the rear mount, so I would have added a bunch of volume to my system!
    The biggest disadvantage with this system is the fact that the engine must be running to winch at all.

So, if you get in a situation where you can't run the engine (or it won't run) you can't winch at all, not even the little bit that might get you out.

But, I wouldn't worry about using the PS pump just because it also supplies the brakes. As the others have said, in a winching situation, you don't steer much, and you don't brake until you are done winching.

If you want to winch up a long hill or similar, the Mile Marker beats any electric winch hands down. It can winch forever without overheating.

Mike L
    00 2500 4x4 6.0L 5 spd
    That is a draw back to a hydrulic winch. If the motor is not running you are SOL. Until, of course you get you motor running again. One thing I wanted to ask while I'm typing is gas mileage for the new 6.0L. These trucks are so new everyone who owns one only has a few thousand miles on it. I would like to hear from someone out there who's past the break in stage for a gas mileage report. Anyone? Thanks.
    Most people with the '99-'00 6.0L were getting 10-12 city, 13-15 highway. Not great. I can confirm about 11 in the city, but I only have 2100 miles on it. I can't give you a good highway reading, as all my highway trips are to the hunting lease. I only burn half a tank going, which isn't enough data to get a good reading. The rest of the tank then gets burned in 4wd on ranch trails, so I haven't got a clue what it will do on the road. If I could have afforded the D-Max I would have gotten it, but for the extra $7-$8K it would have cost me, I can buy plenty of gas!
    All my miles are with a 2000lb load (myself, wife, camper, food, gear, etc.). I've been getting 10-12 in town, and average 14.0 on the highway.

Over the holidays, we went to Death Valley. Even 10-12 hours of 4wd low range didn't bring me below 10 mpg. Without the camper I would expect another 2-3 mpg or up to 17 highway.

My 1500 mileage increase after 10K miles, and I have just over 10K miles on this truck, so maybe it will go up a little. I would also expect the 2001s to get slightly better mileage because of the aluminum heads. The heads allow more ignition advance without pinging, and that should give a little more economy.

Mike L
    00 2500 4x4 LS 6.0L 5spd
    Deadhorse, Alaska 6-6-99
    It sounds like the average is about 13 mpg about 338 mile range on a full tank Not bad, for a full size truck. If I can get those same mpg with mine, I'll be a happy camper. I, too, will be hauling a slide in camper with mine. Mine weighs about 2300 dry. It will be interesting to see what kind of mileage I get with that in the back. Thanks for the info.
  • ccarroll05ccarroll05 Member Posts: 4
    I have a '99 Silverado 2500HD Ext Cab Short bed. I get 13.5-15.0 empty and 11.0-12.2 with my camper, a Palomino Slide in pop-up.
This discussion has been closed.