Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado 2500 LD vs 2500 HD 6.0 liter

Comments

• randersenrandersen Member Posts: 52
    In my curiosity in 2500 gas mileage, I ran into a guy who had the 2500 Suburban, 6 liter, 3.73 axle, and asked him about what the Sub got. He claimed he got as high as 18 in the Sub on the highway, but typically around 17 on average for highway.

Also the 2500, 8600 GVWR, comes with a 3.73 axle, but a 4.10 is supposed to be optional.
  • roger350roger350 Member Posts: 157
    I've measured the section height dimension of the frame rails on the regular 2500 and new 2500HD. The frames are more or less identical until the third section starts. Then, the regular 2500 necks down to a 6.5" high section, and the 2500HD continues to be an 8" section height. So, I tend to believe the reports that the HD's have a 2" body lift, and not just a taller frame section height.
  • doverarjimdoverarjim Member Posts: 23
    I have '99 Silverado 2wd, Ext. cab, 6.0l, Auto,3.73, Short wheel base, it has the eight hole wheels on it and does not have the full floater in it. It is the 7200 GVW. As I understand it in the days of the C/K series and the "New" style body, the new style only came in 7200 GVW no mater if it is 5.3 or 6.0, I'm sure someone will tell me I am wrong but before buying I had looked at both to see what the differences were and that is what I found. In the old, old days my '86 c2500 Sirrea 350, 4 speed, 3.73 did not have floater, got about 10.2 mpg empty, 10.0 mpg loaded, and pulling anything I could hook to it. In over 100,000 miles never got better than 11.5 or worse than 9.8 for good or bad. My 99 gets 15.5 mpg in a 20 mile drive to and from work, mostly open road a few stops. 55 MPH, on Interstate at 80 to 85 MPH gets about 16.0
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    limit would improve my MPG.......but what fun is that?

- Tim
  • sdpiersonsdpierson Member Posts: 69
    The '99 and'00 2500 had cast iron heads, '01 2500 has aluminum heads. Many people claim the aluminum heads will give you better performance and fuel mileage. I should be getting mine soon, (on a slow boat from Pontiac, 2 1/2 weeks and waiting) and will post fuel mileage.
  • jeffs00z71jeffs00z71 Member Posts: 8
    thanks for all your reply's and help! I plan to purchase my truck soon but it seems dealers here in SoCal don't have any on hand. I read alot of reviews on the '01 3/4ton and all seem to be good.
    But I just wanted to know a few things maybe you guys seen on your invoice/order sheet. Is On-Star
    Aviliable this year for LD's and HD's and when do they expect to put them in the vehicle? and is the toque on the 3/4ton 6.0 364, 370FTLBS of Torque or is it 360? And if I bought a extended cab short bed would it be considered a LD? and what is the big differnce between LD and HD?
    Thanks for your help!
    Jeff jr.
    HEre we go again. To better answer your question, you need to specify 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive. For four wheel drive you can get an extended cab short box in either the LD or HD and the GVWR will be 8600, or 9200 respectively. The HD sits 2" taller and comes standard with a 4.10 rear axle with the 6 liter while the LD comes with a 3.73 axle and a 4.10 as an option. A 2 wheel drive extended cab shortbox in LD is 7200 GVWR and I don't know if they offer a two wheel drive extended cab short box in the HD. The torque ratings vary per publication. I once had a GMC brouchure from the Chicago Autoshow that boasted the 6 liter was up to 325 H.P. and 370 for torque. Most of the information you asked for has been basically answered in previous responses.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Did you see the terradyne at the Chicago autoshow??? That was an impressive truck.

Did you go this past yr? What did you think about it? I was kinda disappointed i didnt enjoy it this yr as much as the previous (silverados introduced)

Ryan
    - Tim
  • mtcaublemtcauble Member Posts: 1
    Okay guys, I want to pull a 25-27 foot trailer (about 6000 to 8000 pounds)and maybe put on a similar sized fith-wheel sometimes. So the HD or the regular 2001 2500 with 4.10 rear end? Is the HD overkill? Needs to be 4WD too.

--Eric
  • greggauchogreggaucho Member Posts: 62
    The only engine available in the standard 2500 is the 6.0L. It is not an option.
    shortly the only option will be 9200GVW HD for 2500's......so go with the biggest!

- Tim
    Ryan,yes, I saw the GMC Terradyne at the autoshow. Overall a cool beast. The front end looked pretty aggressive of which I liked, but it went a little too 'metal everywhere submarine look' in the interior. I thought putting the front end of the Avalanche on the new Silverados would look good, too, although the Avalanche concept didn't do much for me. The Autoshow, overall, lacked a better variety of trucks in my opinion. No offense to anybody, but the truck displays were a little to yuppy oriented for the most part. I still enjoyed the show, though. It was cool to see the new crew cab dually on display.

To Greggaucho, the 6 liter is definitely standard in the 8600 GVWR, but I remember reading somewhere that the 7200 GVWR only had the 5.3 liter. I think my information came from the 2000 Chevy dealer brouchure. The brouchure could be wrong hence the 'subject to change' disclaimer. I don't remember seeing too many of the 7200 GVWR version in the new Silverado on the road though. Or, maybe that's the version Tim is referring to that has since been discontinued for 2001.
    My fav if the autoshow was the gold tahoe and the Crew cab dually

Ryan
  • richardm6richardm6 Member Posts: 45
    Tim

The 52 page Chevy brochure I picked up yesterday still shows the 2500 trucks are available in regular cab long bed and in the extended cab short box 4x4. We all know how that goes though they may say one thing and do something else.

Richard Mc
    I didn't say it wasn't.....

- Tim
    I had a brain fart.....old style C/K's were still made as well when the 99 Ado's were introduced.....give it 6 months or so....they will be gone...

- Tim
  • bpaul1bpaul1 Member Posts: 2
    I am planning to purchase the 2500 HD 4x4 ext. cab LS trim. Would anyone be able to tell me the full width of the vehicle with the camper mirrors extended and unextended? I know the width without mirrors is 79.7". Also do the mirrors fold back when they are not extended? Small garage doors make it a tight fit. Thanks.
    In hopes of a GM/Chevy truck official reading what people have experienced with their trucks, I have a 2500HD ext. cab 4wd on order and by my what I have seen so far, these trucks have been coming with Firestone tires, the Steeltex AT's. GM, why do you put such crappy and wimpy tires on your trucks??? You used to put good tires on your trucks; mostly Uniroyal and Goodyear of which I have had outstanding luck with as tires. The two brands of tires I have had the worst luck with are the tires I have seen most on your trucks in the past couple years: Firestone and General. They don't last long for wear, don't stick in rain, can't dig well in mud or snow, and are easily punctured. I come from this experience with own personal experience as well as my company's survey trucks, all Chevy 4wd 2500(mostly 99 C/K's and a 2000 Silverado) series, of which I am the guy who orders the trucks. The biggest complaint and comment from our crew chiefs driving the trucks,"love the truck, hate the tires(Firestone and Generals)." Your customers don't care how good of a deal you got on those tires, they just want good tires. If GM is listening, put the Goodyear Wrangler ATS on these 4wd trucks. The dealer said they will work something out to get the tires I want, but it's not right that the dealer has to fix the problem and it will obviously have an additional cost to me. Leave the Firestones and other garbage tires to Ford. To make a truly outstanding truck, you can't skimp on anything.
    what Steeltex are?

The Steeltex on my 2000 2500 have 24K miles and still look like new...(proper inflation and rotatation is the key)...

Ride and traction has been excellent...

I don't think any Steeltex type tire can be crap...

(although suposedly they have caused problems?....not for me though.....if you look hard enough..you can point fingers at any tire or vehicle)

- Tim
    ...could be bigger...oh well...

10 Ply tires are a different ballpark than wranglers though...

I think the person above is associating Steeltex to Wilderness!

- Tim
  • hunter98hunter98 Member Posts: 273
    Spending 25-35k on a truck, go to your favorate tire shop. Immediately trade for the tires and the size you want. You can afford 300-700 for a set of tires to trade for that you want, if you could afford the truck. As far as for me my choice
    :265x75r16 michelin ltx at. A very nice looking, excellent wearing, excellent traction tire. They all balance with less than an ounce. Excellent for a tire that size. BALANCE ON THE INSIDE< SAVE THE RIMS..

LOL
    Hunter
    10 ply tires?

too many people put biggen's on a 2500 and ruin the tire rating....making it really a 1/2 ton...

- Tim
    I can only go by my experience with tires and never had a good Firestone or General tire experience, and always had a good Goodyear and Uniroyal experience. This is on both cars and trucks. You do have a point that tire pressure,rotation, etc are keys to lasting tires and I do practice that religiously. On more than one vehicle, I've had to replace Generals because the belts kept slipping and Firestones punctured too easily. Our company trucks are off road alot and General and Firestone can't seem to take the punishment that other brands appear to handle better. Lucky we don't run Ford Explorers. The incidents that Firestone is facing now is new to some people(Ford Explorer and Wilderness AT), but I can remember over 20 years back my dad having troubles with General and Firestone on his cars. To date on various trucks I have had good luck with the performance and durability of the Goodyear Wrangler TD's, GSA's, and ATS's(all LT series, P series is a passenger tire) and for Uniroyal, the Laredo LTL. By the way, Ford is making the effort to take care of the tire problem, not Firestone.
    I prefer Goodyears...but am not going to dump these just cuz they are stones....almost ready to rotate the 4th time in 24K miles....and I check pressure twice a week.....tires look like new...

too many people will associate firestone as crap...due to the wilderness problems...when the real problem was under inflation....which Ford said to do..

anyway.....They are not my first choice....but give them some credit...Firestone made the first air filled tires!!....and had a deal with Ford...due to being a good friend of Henry Fords..

as for puncture...I believe you..but I have no problems...

- Tim
    Seams like you have the pressure dialed in for the 2500.
    What are the pressures you're running while empty?
    It came to me with 45 in front and 40 in rear. Seams a little low. If you're getting good mileage out of the tires then I would want to run the same pressures.
    Thanks.
    I run 50 front and 40 rear....the very outside of the rear tires look like it could be lower...but I am not going any lower....rotation every 7-8 K takes care of that problem anyway...

2000 2500 Ext.cab SB....

Good Luck

- Tim
    Not to keep kicking a dead horse, but in planning for when my truck comes in, I had some time over the weekend to call around to see it anyone would take the Steeltex AT's in for trade off a new truck. A friend's father who has a friend who owns a tire store(mostly sells Dunlop) said $30/tire trade-in, but really doesn't want them. A large discount chain in the area said $75/tire, and the killer is when I called an exclusive Firestone/Bridgestone dealer(which owns 3 locations in the area), they didn't even want them. Makes you wonder how much Firestone's own franchises believe in the brand. I guess if I was a farmer, Firestone is good for a tractor though.
    Thanks, I'll run those pressures.
  • manhattan2manhattan2 Member Posts: 10
    Had the opportunity to drive 3 Chev. 3/4 ton HDtrucks yesterday. 1st. a 4 door with 4wd and 6 liter. Very smooth and nice. Great ride and handling on short drive. Next 3/4 ton 4wd standard cab with new Duramax Diesel. Very impressive. Quick start and much quieter then Ford or Dodge. Can spin the tires from a stop and new Allison trans is great. Very quiet once warm and going 40 mph or faster. Last, a 4wd 3/4 ton extended cab with 8.1. My dream engine. You can flat out haul the mail with this one. Hard NOT to spin tires. At 40, mash it and burn rubber. Allison trans is great, quick smooth and positive. Will order the 4 door and probably with the 8.1 only because I'm crazy and like the power and speed. Reminds me of my old 91 Mustang GT with blower. Just keeps pulling. Hope I can afford the gas & tires. Oh yeah, I'll be 60 in December. Not a kid but sure enjoy the power & speed. Got price of 1 thousand over list. Not bad as these beasts will be rare this year. Seen at Bill Jacobs Chev. Joliet Illinois. They got them all.
    Bill jacobs i hear alot of radio commercials here in indiana for them (chi town radio stations). Also try truck world i think they are in wisconsin.

Ryan
    Since you apparently are in the Chicago area, I can tell you for Chevy trucks, I have had excellent truck purchasing experiences with Don McCue Chevrolet in St. Charles(Route 64/North Avenue). I and my family have bought vehicles there since 1988 and I order the company trucks for the company I work for there and we have had no complaints. Friends have also taken the advice of shopping there as have been happy. We work through a salesperson named Sedgewick Beard. No games nor high pressure with Sedge and he's a straight shooter. There sales manager, Steve Mehle is good to work with, too. I have a 2500HD on order from him now for myself. Good luck. Where ever you buy your truck, I sure you will enjoy it. Can't wait to get mine.
    I just took delivery the other day of a factory ordered 2001 2500HD 4wd extended cab shortbox. I went with the 6 liter since it fit for my needs for power and the short box because it fit in the garage, although the diesel was a considered option. I use the truck for driving to work and for pulling my boat. So far I have been very impressed with the truck. Rides very nice for a truck with a 9200 GVWR. Handles well and is quiet, too. Not as harsh as the C/K series trucks. The truck feels very confident on the road. The power is impressive without question. Funny thing was that as I was at the dealer ordering a regular 2500 4wd extended cab for the company I work for, my truck rolled in off the car carrier. Talk about convenience. I think I am going to like this truck. My old 93 Full Size Blazer was a good truck even with almost 117,000 miles, but these new 2500HD Silverados are nice and a major improvement over the old C/K series. Based on initial delivery so far, I am very impressed with the fit and finish. Maybe GM is listening to it's customers a little better. Although the future 100,000+ miles will tell.
  • dovehunterdovehunter Member Posts: 7
    1. Does anyone have gas mileage figures for a 2500 with the 6.0 and 3.73 Rear End?
    2. Any information on the 1500HD Crew Cab? It is starting to show up on the dealers' computer order screens, but not a lot of details or prices yet. I do know that it is 8600GVW with a 6.0. Kind of weird of GM to call this a 1500HD when it will truly be a 3/4 ton pickup.
  • keelynkeelyn Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a 2500HD with a 3.73 rear end. For a little better fuel economy. It has a 8.1 with an Allison trans. Loved the power. Get it Monday. Will keep you informed on the mileage.

Janice
  • jmctighejmctighe Member Posts: 1
    Mileage on my 2000 2500 with 6.0 & 3.73 has averaged 14.3 mpg. Chevron regular gas, A.R.E MX canopy on extended cab long box, 50% highway, 45/42psi(unloaded) in original Steeltex, non-locker, Inland NW USA.

Been pretty happy with the truck. Only distraction was a slight launch shudder when I was trying to run my rear tires down around 38psi to get them to wear evenly. Don't care as much about even wear anymore since the Steeltex investigation started though.
  • keelynkeelyn Member Posts: 4
    Just brought home my 8.1 2500hd with the 3.73 allison transmission. Used 1/2 tank of gas & then refueled. Combination driving & really testing the power (you know what I mean) & still got 13.5mpg. Not bad for a big truck. It should still get better after the break in period.
    ....yeah it's a 2500.....at 8600GVW...but calling it a 1500 will make it sell better....

I mean yuppys won't buy a 2500.....come on....

- Tim
  • bootleggerbootlegger Member Posts: 1
    Greetings to all....I'm new to your forum and in the process of gathering info on the Chevy HD Pick up. I intend to purchase before year end; so your help/assistance is appreciated.I am seeking information on several fronts regarding the 2001 HD Silverado Pick UP 3/4 tn LB 2WD 9200gvw . I have read, with interest, the discussions regarding axle ratios/transmissions/engine combinations. And most recently, the discussion regarding the availability of the 3.73 axle with the 8.1L big block. My questions to the group are:
    1.) Information developed from the Chevrolet Truck/Edmunds web site under options (GT4) indicate that Chevrolet requires the Duramax diesel for this axle; that it is not available with the 8.1; however I read earlier today in this forum where one of your members was, indeed, driving a 2500 HD 8.1 with a 3.73 and an Allison box. I'm misunderstanding something somewhere.

a.) The truck will be used to tow trailer with farm equipment (tractors, etc.) cattle, etc. on case-by-case basis; not full time. Maybe the "small block" with 4 spd auto trans. will be sufficient and the big block/Allison combo is "overkill".

2.) The Chevrolet truck brochure indidcates what appears to be a Fram filter on the Allison.... is this the method GM is using to change filters/service this trans. Not necessary to drop the pan any more, etc. Any news on "special" maintenance requirements; GM "only trans oils, etc. for the Allison verses the 4 Spd Auto?

3.) Can anyone recommend Chevy Dealer(s) in Houston, preferably southwest area, they have had a good experience with; person or person(s) name would be helpful; also dealers that will possibly sell for maybe $500 over actual invoice.

Thanks for the time; look forward to reading your ideas, suggestions, responses.
  • dovehunterdovehunter Member Posts: 7
    Yes, I agree. It is bogus that GM is calling it a 1500HD. They are trying to compete with the F-150 Supercrew but it is apples and oranges.

I have always driven a 3/4 T, but now I guess I will goto the dark side and drive a half ton (or maybe I will take the 1500 emblem off of the side)

Anyway, in order to have a crew cab and keep from joining OPEC, I will order the 1500HD crew cab as soon as I find out the base price.

PS. GMAC is running 1.9% on 2001 Silverados, but of course it excludes HD models. It would have been nice for GM to call it a 2500 Light Duty.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    buy the 2500 badge and replace the 1500 with it.
    me they will still make the "regular" 2500's......as 8900GVW......

so the 1500HD takes over the 8600 GVW and the HD'sd are 9200 GVW..

GEEEEZZ!

what a mess..

I'll just stick with the 9200 next time

- Tim
    the 1500 HD have?

I'd imagine the current 2500 one?.....(L480E)...(too many beers to remember numbers right now)

.....if it gets the 1500 tranny with the 3.06 first gear.....what a joke

- Tim
    GM will probably change only the badge. Makes it real easy for them now. Costs would be probably about $.04
    .....it'll be my truck exactly...

who wants to bet they sell a boat load more 2500's....errr..1500 HD's !?

..Kinda like you see way more Suburbans...errr..YUkon XL's now....
    - Tim
    what the heck is this 1500HD?

It actually exists?

Ryan
    very soon Tim will have what is known to be a 1500 HD.
    Mine is an ext.cab....not a crew!

an 8600 GVW 1/2....why not a 3/4?

a 9200 GVW 3/4....why not a 1 ton!?

it's all marketing BS..

..BTW...if I will have a 1/2 soon...where does that put you and Ryan Dean?....1/3 ton!

LOL

- Tim
    Yes the GVWR's as compared to the badging does smell of a little marketing. But,just thought of an idea that is somewhat inspired by Ford(scary thought). Keep the 2500 as the 8600 3/4 ton, rename the 2500HD 9200 GVWR to 3500 since it is a 1 ton, as well as rename the 3500 Dually to 4500(with or without a box, duallies only). And if or when Chevy comes out with a 'Super Duty' series chassis cab with the I-beam big rig style front axle, call that the 5500. Same this goes for the 1500HD, if it's a 3/4, put it under 2500. Although, a 1500(true 1/2 ton) crew cab could be appealing for a guy who needs a 1/2 ton Suburban or Tahoe for true 4 door seating, but also needs a true pickup bed. Tim, you should have a field day with this idea, or if any GM truck execs are reading.
    no tim itll be a 1/4 ton then

Ryan
This discussion has been closed.