Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

? Trailering/Handling Susp. on 2001 Z71

aebertaebert Member Posts: 14
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
I have a 2001 Z71 that with the option pkg of
leather and heated seats it also has
Trailering/Handling suspension. I can not see any
difference in shocks and thickness of leaf springs
to another 2001 Z71 that does not have this option.
I do know that my truck rides rougher than my
friends 2000. I am not sure if the ride is because
I raised the front up an 1 1/2 by cranking the
torsion bars.

Comments

• obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    leveling the truck via the torsion bar will do it to the ride.
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    ...I hope you re-aligned it too?

- Tim
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    The Z-71 is a considered a trailering and handling option. You can not order both Z-71 and Z-85 at the same time. You can of course get the Z82 HD Trailering Special Equipment, but that is the wire harness and tranny cooler. I think you may have your options mixed up.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    very mixed up

Ryan
  • aebertaebert Member Posts: 14
    z71bill and ryanbab i understand what you are saying but with the Marketing Option Package 1sd it states: leather seating, 6 Way pwr driver and pass. seat, 2 spd active transfer case, Handling/Trailering Suspension. I just about have every option. Off Road chassis equip pkg(z71). Locking Rear Diff. Heavy Duty Trailering Equip etc. I have looked at other 2001 Z71 window stickers and if they don't have this 1sd pkg. it will not say anywhere on the window sticker Handling/trailering Suspension.
    Ryan the price for the 1sd pkg was $1,925. I do not have any switch for the shocks. I have asked the dealer and nobody has gotten back with me. I couldn't find my order sheet which has the option codes. My tires are 265/75r16. Thanks for responding. alain
  • hunter98hunter98 Member Posts: 273
    The z85 suspension is standared equipment when ordering an slt, which is what I have. If you get the z-71 package, it comes with the z-71 shocks and suspension. IE rougher ride than z85. You have no choice to keep the z85 and GM just made an extra 85 bucks, but the components in the z71 package are discounted so not really. So you only have the z71, not both. What I did was order the z85, high cap air cleaner, skid plates, and it actually ended up costing me total 5 bucks more than a z71 but it rides better, and I want to be different, not to fond of all the cool z71 guys runnin around.

Well hopefully this cleared things up.

Hunter
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    whats this package is it on the sierra??? The silverado i think has hmmm the something but it was added in the msrp no pkg cost. That was back in 00 though.

Ryan
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    lists five different suspension options:
    Z83: Solid, Smooth Ride
    Z85: Handling/Trailering (standard on SLT; optional on others; blue Monroe gas charged shocks)
    Z71: Off-Road(Red Monroe gas charged shocks)
    ZX3: Manual Selectable (Lets you choose between Z83 and Z85 shock damping rates; Orange DeCarbon shocks)
    VYU: Snowplow Prep Package
    My guess is that your truck, since it is an SLT, lists the Z85 as standard, but then also lists the Z71 (which is optional); Z71 overrides Z85.
    Not trying to be rude or anything - buy how could you buy a truck and not know what options you have?

I know getting a straight answer out of some of these sales people can be hard - but before you give them your money you should know what you are buying.
    No Problem. I ordered a slt loaded and wanted Heated leather seats. I have everything on this truck, Heavy Duty towing pkg, locking rear diff. Z71 etc. When i Picked it up i saw that the pkg. that has the heated seats also had Handling/towing suspension. I really didn't pay much attention to it until i drove my truck and thought it road rough. I then went to the dealers lot to look at other trucks that were equiped similar but without the heated seat (pkg 1sd.) and they did not have this handling/towing suspension so now i am trying to find out what this is. The leaf springs look the same thickness and the shocks are the same.
    are nice. I wanted the memory feature more than the heat, but I live in Houston. I will admit a few weeks ago when the temp was in the 40's the heated seats were a good thing to have.

My wife drives a Tahoe with leather. It is a 98 with about 28,000 miles. The drivers seat is starting to look old before its time. Hair line cracks in the leather on left side of seat - not all the way through - just on the surface. What are my chances getting GM to cover this under warranty? Looks like normal wear - the bad spot is right where you slide in and out. The rest of the seat (and all the other seats) look new still.
    what does it.....sliding in and out....

I had no problem getting in and out of my Ado without boards....but I found myself hopping onto the edge and sliding in....so I put running boards on to avoid this action....and I expect to have no problems

- Tim
    should replace the bottom seat cover. My neighbor waited untill he had about 34,000 miles on his 98' and they replaced it. Good luck.
    My warrany is over in December so I will give it a shot - My guess is they will say "normal wear and tear" (which it is) - not covered. Had the same problem with a 90 Toyota. I may have them replace it even if not covered - how much is a leather seat botton worth? Maybe I don't want to know..
    the leather option is what?....$1800?...and the only thing that IS leather is the front seating surfaces.....

so you tell me

- Tim
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Figure $900 a seat subtract $100 for the vinyl portion leaving $800 for the leather portion? I would have like to think that at least the back of the seat (lumbar area) was also leather. If so, then the corrected amount would be $400 not including $200 labor to tear out and replace seat cover which requires seat removal. That being the case, final numbers would be in the $600 range. Not bad for poor quality leather. Imagine if it was the same leather as a BMW or Lexus...
  • z71z71 Member Posts: 67
    I had a friend that replaced the lower seating portion of his leather 1995 tahoe b/c of the same problem and I believe that it was less than $300 for both seats. At the very most it was $300 per seat...and that was from the dealer.
    If I can get it done for $300 (assume they will not do it under warranty) I would go for it. I just paid close to $300 for Edelbrock shocks. They were a pain in the [non-permissible content removed] to put on. Front were easy, but the rears took almost an hour. I thought it would be the other way around. These are stiff mothers. Pushing the bottom of the rear shock up - holding it in place - and pushing the bolt through - was a 3 arm job. It was worth it -ride is better - but the handling is the real improvement.
  • meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    After 30 or more days of inactivity....

this topic is being "frozen." It will be archived or deleted in the next 10 days or so.

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
This discussion has been closed.