Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series Lease Questions

Comments

• ajz1ajz1 Member Posts: 1
    Just checking to see if this lease was worth it, or if I could do more. Thanks for any help. Likely to buy in the next day or two

2011 BMW 335d
    Optional Items
    Sport Package
    Premium Package
    Heated Seats
    Ipod
    Keyless Entry
    Sirius Radio

MSRP 51,925
    ECO Cred 4,500
    Neg 2,300
    Cap Cost 45,125

No money down. No security deposit. Monthly payment $640. Honestly, I forgot the exact MF and residual. I believe the MF was 0.0024.

I was told that the MF was fixed by BMW FS and that it could not be changed, even before I negotiated on price. I have not counter-offered yet, but was wondering what people felt of price and payment.

Thanks for any help. Cheers
  • macsrulmacsrul Member Posts: 7
    Thought I would share:

2010 335I Xdrive
    MSRP $49,0505
    Base Cap Cost $43,850
    MF Rate .00051 (base rate for current BMW finance customer .00100 less 7 Multiple Security deposits)
    12K miles a year 36 Months
    56% residual
    Payment $491.43

Out of pockets is the first month, security deposits and $925 bank fee.
  • count_choculacount_chocula Member Posts: 1
    Greetings to all-

Definitely need advice here. I'm considering the lease of a dealer DEMO car with the following specs:

2009 335xi Sedan
    6,400 mi
    $3,500 total drive-off
    $507/mo (incl tax)
    36 mos, 10k mi/yr (car cab be returned with 36.4k miles)
    Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Comfort Access, Nav, Satellite radio, Logic 7, and ipod/usb.
    Original MSRP was $53,120.

I do not know the MF or residual-- but does that have any bearing here since it's essentially a "used" car?

I'm put off by the $3500 drive-off, though it seems on par with what many people pay. And I'm trying not to think of it as a used car as no doubt this lease payment would be much, much higher were at a 2010 with no miles. It has a couple minor dings (arrgh)-- but I think I can be sorta zen about it despite my perfectionism...lol.

(I'm really torn between this car a new Audi Q5. The Audi is only $2k down but is $100/month more... which works out to $1,600 more for the new Audi over the same 36 mos period. So I'm agonizing between the two-- and I don't know if the 335xi deal is worthwhile to begin with.)

Thoughts?? I'm trying to determine if this is a GREAT deal, a GOOD deal, or nothing special.

THANKS!!
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Here you go, benz2779. BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 335i xDrive Sedan with 12,000 miles per year are .00220 and 60%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • camainecamaine Member Posts: 11
    Can someone tell me the residual value and money factor on a 2011 328i coupe for 10k per year? (Where do I find this information?) Also, could you check over these numbers and advise me as to whether it looks like a good deal:

I'm in the SF bay area. Here're the invoice costs on the 328i coupe I want to order from the factory.
    vehicle: 33305 (MSRP on 2011 car is 36200)
    black sapphire paint: 500
    automatic: 1305
    sport package: 1320
    moonroof: 955

Total invoice comes to 38260

I talked to the internet sales manager on the phone and she quoted me 38860 for the price of this car and added in $300 (arbitrary?) for a total of 39160. I have a $1000 discount coupon from a BMW driving promotion and am planning to put $5000 down.

For 36 months and 10,000 miles is $450/month a good deal on this car?
  • kanchiskanchis Member Posts: 33
    Here's what I see in your deal;
    MSRP = 51925
    Invoice = 46860
    Maco/Training = +600
    Floor mats = +135
    Eco credit = -4500
    Selling price = 43095
    so the dealer profit is = $2030

No dealer is going to sell the car without any profit (its not charity!) so you need to ask your self how much would you let the dealer make out of this deal. Once you do that add that to the selling price and tell him this is what you would pay for the car.

MF is published by BMFS every month. For June the base money factor for a 335d 36m/15k is 0.0021. The dealership is allowed to mark up on the MF, and its not a surprise either. (there's a cap of 0.0003 i think) Residuals are set solid as well. its at 55% for june.

Your deal: I think you can go lower on the selling price and improve on the money factor. Try shooting for what you think is fair. Hope this helps. Good luck. :shades:
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    (there's a cap of 0.0003 i think)

The cap on MF markup for BMWFS is .0004... :(

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I'd be happy to help you out, camaine. BMW Financial Services' June buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 328i Coupe with 10,000 miles per year are .00205 and 63%, respectively.

$900 over dealer invoice is a reasonable selling price for this car.

I see that you are considering making a $5,000 down payment on your lease. I always advise consumers not to make large down payments on leased vehicles. Those who make them risk losing part or all of them if their vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen and never recovered. Even though it means your monthly payment will be slightly higher, you're better off going with a zero down lease...at least one without any capitalized cost reduction.

Car_man
    Host
  • nypaymannypayman Member Posts: 12
    Carman,can you please tell me this month's MF & residual on a 2011 3281 10M. thanks
  • unlimitedjoeunlimitedjoe Member Posts: 79
    is it better to buy a used m3(2008) or lease a new m3 (2010 or 11)? thnx uljoe :confuse:
  • leo1977leo1977 Member Posts: 17
    Dear Car_Man, is the MF and residual the same for 328xi and 328? As you mentioned for 328i: for a 36 month lease of a 2011 328i Coupe with 10,000 miles per year are .00205 and 63%, respectively.
    I would get new. Those M's get abused big time.
  • karshakarsha Member Posts: 7
    Dear Car_Man,

I am looking for the money factor and residual for a 328xi sedan, 36 months, 15,000 mi/year, $0.20/mi

I am a returning customer. My 328i wagon goes back in July.

Thank you!
  • dgingodgingo Member Posts: 21
    Hi. I'm turning in my 2007 328i and wanting to lease another. I have $1000 sec. dep. with my first car. Here are the initial #'s he quoted me. He has $1920 "out of pocket," but I don't want down payment (sec. dep. instead). What do you think of these #'s? Thank You!

2011 BMW 328i Sedan
    Space Gray
    Beige Leather
    Premium Package
    Value Package
    Steptronic Auto Transmission
    Heated Seats
    Navigation
    Satellite Radio

MSRP - $41,550

Invoice - $38,855

Your price - $39,055+ tax and license($200 over invoice, includes floormats)

36 month lease
    12k miles per year

MF- .00210 (buy rate for BMW loyalty customers)

Residual - 62% ($25,761)

$1920.61 total cash out of pocket

Payment - $505.39 + tax
  • delta737hdelta737h Member Posts: 626
    edited June 2010
    dgingo,

All the numbers are spot on. The sell price looks very reasonable but, I don't like the 0.00210 buy rate. The only other concern I have is the $1,920.61 out of pocket expense. Obviously, there is no cap reduction (down payment). You didn't indicate your state and sales tax rate, so I can't compute the tax. Can you itemize the $1,920.61 out of pocket? I need exact numbers, not ball park or rounded numbers. Then, I'll be in a much better position to evaluate your deal.
    Thank you for your reply. What should I be asking for the MF to be. The $1920 "out of pocket" was HIS number to me, not what I said I wanted, so I don't know exactly what they are. I have $1000 sec. dep. from last car that I want to just roll into next. I'm in Calif. Thanks.
    You should be asking for the "buy rate". It's the lowest money factor that you can get if you have outstanding credit. I don't know whether or not 0.00210 is, in fact, the buy rate. It's nice to know you're in CA. That's telling me that your payment streams are taxed. And so, taxes are fairly straight forward; nothing really complicated. You can use the $1,000 deposit to offset your upfront costs.

John
    The buy rate is the lowest MF I can get, as I understand? Does anyone know what the buy rate is for 2011 328i. The salesperson says it's .00210 (FOR BMW LOYALTY CUSTOMERS). Thanks.
    Okay, so you did confirm that 0.00210 is the buy rate. That's all I was concerned about.

John
    I was able to find this, if it helps:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=460470

I read somewhere that returning customers get a 0.0005 discount on that rate under the current customer loyalty deal. Not sure if that is true or not.
    karsha,

Thanks! Yes, that's a huge help and certainly confirms the buy rate (AKA base rate) for the 328i as being 0.00210. If it's true that the customer loyalty discount is 0.0005, then that may mean a money factor of 0.00160 if the discount applies to the base rate. I can't imagine why it wouldn't.

John
  • graycar1graycar1 Member Posts: 6
    I am interested in leasing a 2011 335i or 335is coupe. Can anyone tell me the following:

1) What is the customer loyalty money factor?
    2) The residual % assuming 3 years $10,000?
    3) About how much should I pay over invoice?
    4) What additional costs, if any, should I expect to pay at lease inception.

I live in Houston, Texas.

Thanks,
    Hi John,
    I hope the 0.0005 discount for customer loyalty is true. Also, I'm not sure if it applies to both 2010s and 2011s, or just the 2010s.
  • multiplechoicemultiplechoice Member Posts: 113
    Don't forget the $1,305 credit that you get for the steptronic transmission. I don't think you have that included in your cap. cost. You can do a google search to learn more about this.
    My salesperson said he didn't think I could roll my $1000 sec. dep. from my current lease into my next. He said they should "mail it back to me." I didn't feel too confident about that statement. Is it true that my last Sec. Dep. doesn't roll into my next?
    What's this $1305 credit on my steptronic about? Never heard of this!!
  • beemer2010beemer2010 Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2010
    Any and all replies appreciated: Please give me ur feedback regarding this 2010 335 xi demo with 4500 miles on it.
    black,navigation,premium,coldweather, logic 7 sound, steptronic

$51475 MSRP

$42900 Selling

36 month 15k a year.

54% residual - miles driven =51.6% or 26566.50

.0017 money factor

$586.54 base payment

$ 35.19 Tax

$621.73 monthly payment

Due at signing

$621.73 monthly payment

$650.00 Security deposit

$425.00 Cap cost reduction

$ 38.34 Tax on cap cost reduction

$249.84 title,doc and plate fee's

1984.91 total due at signing

ere's the car specs:
    4500 miles
    Description MSRP
    Model 1043 335xi USD 42,300.00
    Color 668 Jet Black N/C
    Upholstery LCSW Black Dakota Leather N/C
    Options ZCW Cold Weather Package 1,000.00
    465 Fold down rear seats N/C
    494 Heated front seats N/C
    ZPP Premium Package 2,650.00
    319 Universal garage-door opener N/C
    430 Auto-dimming interior and exterior mirrors N/C
    431 Auto-dimming rearview mirror N/C
    488 Lumbar support N/C
    4NA Digital compass mirror N/C
    639 BMW Assist with Bluetooth System N/C
    203 All-wheel-drive N/C
    205 STEPTRONIC automatic transmission 1,325.00
    248 Heated Steering Wheel N/C
    4AB Dark Burl Walnut wood trim N/C
    609 Navigation system 2,100.00
    615 Online Information Services N/C
    620 Voice-command N/C
    677 Logic7 sound system with Surround Sound and Dig... 875.00
    6AA BMW TeleServices N/C
    6AB TeleService Control N/C
    6FL iPod and USB adapter 400.00
    6UH Real Time Traffic Information N/C
    Net Total 50,650.00
    Destination Charge 825.00
    Gas Guzzler Tax N/C
    Total Suggested Price 51,475.00

Thank you!
    By the way, was told, by two different dealers, that the 0.0005 customer loyalty discount was for the 2010s only.
    edited July 2010
    Anyone who is familiar with BMW Financial Services knows that since the beginning of time it has used a pass / fail system for its lease approval process. Either consumers qualified for its best available rates or they could not lease through BMW FS at all...and your credit had to be pretty messed up for the latter to happen.

Yesterday BMW announced that BMW FS is introducing a tiered system for its lease program. Its rates now vary by credit tier, with the people who have the best credit scores getting slightly better rates than what was available last month and much higher money factors for people with low credit scores.

I should be able to get the full details of this new program some time today. Please feel free to post your questions about it here and I'll gladly fill you in on what I am able to find out.

Car_man
    Host
    edited July 2010
    I just leased a 328xi last week and have a credit score of 790, did I just screw myself by not waiting for July?

:(
  • thepinkmenacethepinkmenace Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2010
    Hi, can someone help me decide if this deal is a reasonable one?

Lease terms: 24 months, 10k miles, $5k down

328i xdrive coupe (premium pkg + nav)
    563/mth

MF: 0.00225
    Residual: 69%

I was browsing other forums where they mentioned that the automatic transmission credit was extended till august? Can someone kindly confirm before I negotiate with my dealer again? Thanks you!
  • camainecamaine Member Posts: 11
    Can someone please explain what MACO is? My dealer has included a $400 MACO charge into my deal but I read somewhere that for European Delivery vehicles, MACO should not be part of the selling price.
  • dvondvon Member Posts: 4
    MACO is an advertising fee that BMW charges on all their cars. It's a legit fee in the sense that all dealers will charge it and it's not negotiable.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    MACO is on the dealer's invoice... Unless, you negotiated a deal of "Invoice + $XXX", then there shouldn't be any charges for it, at all... (As noted, it is a regional advertising charge)..

But, you are also correct... No MACO on European Delivery vehicles.... Are you taking ED?

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

No, I don't think that you screwed yourself, leo1977. BMW FS' money factors only dropped slightly on 2011 models for people who qualify for its top credit tiers and I don't believe that they changed on 2010 models at all. Plus, its residual values dropped by a point or two on many models offsetting the change in factors.

Enjoy your new ride!

Car_man
    Host
    Hi pinkmenace. Let me begin by saying that $5,000 is way too much money to put down on a lease. I always advise consumers to put as little money down as possible on leased vehicles. Consumers who make large down payments on leases risk losing part or all of them if their vehicles are totaled in an accident or stolen and never recovered. Even though it means that your monthly payment will be higher, it is much safer to go with a zero down lease.

Also, the money factor that you were quoted for this car is too high. BMW Financial Services' June buy rate for a 24 month lease of a 2010 328i xDrive Coupe is currently only .00185 for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

Lastly, the easiest way to tell how good a deal this is is to look at this car's MSRP and selling price. The selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. Without the selling price, it is difficult to tell how large a dealer discount you are being given and in turn if there is any room left to negotiate. Let us know what these numbers are and I'm sure that either myself or another knowledgeable community member will gladly tell you what they think.

The options credits were indeed extended.

Car_man
    Host
  • dvondvon Member Posts: 4
    Do you have the July numbers for a 2011 335xi sedan for 36 months and 12K miles/year?
  • jasatuclajasatucla Member Posts: 7
    Hi all,

I live in NY/ Westchester County and am thinking about leasing a BMW 328xi. 36 months/ 12K miles per year. Looking for Premium Package, Value Package, No Nav (but open to it), Black or Silver, Black Leather Seats. I am going out with the following request to dealers via email:

Money Down: $0.00
    Taxes, Licensing, Doc Fee: Will pay upfront (anyone know how much I should be paying, all in, for taxes and licensing in Westchester County?)
    Monthly Payment of $475.00 desired.

Am I dreaming on the $475? What's a good price with $0.00 down?

Can anyone comment on their experience with a 2010/2011 328xi in NY/NJ/CT? Issues? I am extremely apprehensive about leasing a BMW in the Northeast.
  • jasatuclajasatucla Member Posts: 7
    A few more questions: Can you please provide your opinion on the "Must Haves" in terms of car amenities for the 328xi? Premium Package vs Sports Package? I am kicking over every rock before stepping foot in a dealership...
    I certainly do, dvon. BMW Financial Services' July buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 335xi Sedan with 12,000 miles per year are .00200 and 60%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
  • 03celica0303celica03 Member Posts: 36
    What is the best money factor for the 2011 335i coupes for July or even August ? I am a previous bmwfs customer and have owner loyalty . What are the residuals on 24 months with 10k miles and 36 months with 10k miles?
  • vinayg1vinayg1 Member Posts: 28
    I am thinking of leasing a 2009 328i CPO. I have a few questions, which I am hoping that some knowledgable people could answer. (I have also posted this in the BMW CPO forum, but I think this is the correct forum).

1. Does BMW Finance lease CPO? I read on their web-site that they do, but I would like some confirmation before I explore more into this option.
    2. Assuming they do, is the money factor they use to calculate the payment on new leases same as on CPO?
    3. Is it possible to negotiate a zero down on the lease and have the cost built into lease payments?
    4. Is the payment on 2 year lease more or less than a 3 year lease?

Here is my thinking for Leasing a CPO instead of a new one:

I don't HAVE to drive a brand-new car.

Leasing a 2009 vehicle (with about 20K miles) for 3 years 10K miles per year should cover me fully with initial warranty. Is that correct or will I have to buy some sort of extended warranty?

They lease new ones with MSRP of 38K for about 359/month after 3500 down (cap cost reduction). This means that they are financing 34.5K. So, if I get my CPO for lets say 30K, and I do not pay any Cap cost reduction, my payments should still be less than 359/month as they are now financing only 30K.

I would appreciate if someone can tell me whether my reasoning is correct or completely flawed.

Thank you in advance for your help.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    It is flawed. I've tried to go this route before. Problem with it is the new models have manufacturer-backed lease support. So great rates, inflated residual, etc. Used cars don't have these advantages. So it often doesn't make a difference in the end payment.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• jae115jae115 Member Posts: 4
    Car_man, could you give me the residual and money factor on a 2011 328i coupe for 36 mos and 15k miles/yr?

Thanks in advance
  • mkraut8s81mkraut8s81 Member Posts: 3
    Hello Car_man, I noticed the numbers you gave above for a 2011 335 xi, and was wondering if they would be the same for a 335d? I'm also looking at leasing a 2011 for 36 months at 12k/year. the dealership near me quoted me a residual of 57% and a money factor of ,00245, which seems a little high based on what I've read here on the forums

Thanks
  • nypaymannypayman Member Posts: 12
    Car_Man,

Can you tell me the July lease rates for a 36 month 10M mil lease for both a 328 sedan & a 128convert, Thanks
  • bkingatlbkingatl Member Posts: 2
    Anyone know the BMWFS lease factor and residual on a remaining new 2010 335i sedan assuming 12K miles and 36 month lease? I found the 2011 figures on another site, but not sure if they also apply to remaining 2010 inventory.
    Thanks,
    BK in Atlanta
    Hi 03celica03. BMW Financial Services' July buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2011 335i Coupe with 10,000 miles per year are .00195 and 68%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease are .00195 and 62%.

Car_man
    Host
    I'd be happy to help you out, jae115. BMW Financial Services' July buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 328i Coupe with 15,000 miles per year are .00185 and 60%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

Car_man
    Host
    Hello mkraut8s81. The diesel's lease program is different. BMW Financial Services' July buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 335d with 12,000 miles per year are .00190 and 57%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

As you can see, the money factor that you were quoted is still quite a bit higher than this. Chances are, the dealer that you are working with is attempting to mark your car's factor up to add additional, hidden back-end profit to your deal. BMW dealers are notorious for doing this. If there is a decent supply of this car in your area and a couple of dealers to provide competition you should be able to find one that will lease you this car using the buy rate.

Car_man
    Host
This discussion has been closed.