Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series Lease Questions

Comments

• cartimenowcartimenow Member Posts: 3
    selling price $38235.40
    aq fee $725
    $ tax upfront
    money factor .00185
    Payment includes first month payment
    doc fee $299
    mv $308 and some part of tax
  • cartimenowcartimenow Member Posts: 3
    Hello,

I would love if someone can give me some insight into this recent deal i was offered on a 2011 BMW 328xi.

$1,700 Total out of pocket (first months payment included)
    $408 Month
    33 Months
    12k Miles per year
    MSRP: $43,335
    selling price $38235.40
    aq fee $725
    $ tax upfront
    money factor .00185
    Payment includes first month payment
    doc fee $299
    mv $308

Any thoughts guys good deal or not???
    Is this a good deal or not???
  • anandksanandks Member Posts: 26
    hi CARMAN

do you have any idea of the 2011 lease programs.

the MSRP is 41990
    1. what do you think the typical buy price should be (Nav/premium/heated seats,etc.,)
    2. what is the best duration (33 months?) for 15k miles
    3. what is the residual
    4. do you think this will change in March?
    5. what can be a good range for monthly payment with first month/registration/title alone. (no cap cost reduction)

thanks in advance.

thanks for
  • yerffejleahcimyerffejleahcim Member Posts: 2
    Hi Car Man,

I was thinking about leasing the redesigned 2012 328i for 36 months with the 10k miles per year, with 0 down.

MSRP is $43850 but was able to get it down to $41490. Money factor of .00195. 65% residual.

I live in Hawaii, what should I expect to pay monthly?

Thanks
  • swamivswamiv Member Posts: 6
    With zero down I would probably say about 620 per month, yerffejleahcim. You can calculate using http://www.edmunds.com/calculators/car-lease.html
  • josweajoswea Member Posts: 4
    Hi,

this is my first time leasing a BMW and I have been looking at possibly assuming a lease from someone else since many times you can avoid some fee's and downpayment's however you get a used vehicle of course.
    Is there any pros and cons to this option, anything I should be careful of?

I'm specifically looking at a 2011 BMW 328i coupe, current miles 8000, 18900 miles left for 18 months.
    More info: "Space Gray Metallic exterior with Black Dakota Leather interior. Has Sports Package with Sport Wheels, Cold Weather Package, all windows are tinted. Car is in excellent condition, non-smoking. Lease includes Excess Wear & Tear Insurance.12000 miles allowed each year." MSRP was $43750, residual $31,938. Incentive $550 and monthly payment with tax $540.

To me the residual seems very high?

Thank you!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    edited March 2012
    This was a 27-month lease, so I'm not sure if 73% residual is correct. It could be as the 3-year deals were around 62% at one point.

$540/mo, however, seems VERY high to me on a 328i.

EDIT: Here, I found this for you. That was a couple of months before the lease inception of the car you are looking at, but the numbers will give you a better idea at least.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• josweajoswea Member Posts: 4
    Thank you, this definitely gives me a better idea of what to look for and how to negotiate if deciding on instead getting a new lease from the dealer!
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Good evening carman. I see BMW is now offering a 30 month lease on the 2011 328i w/Xdrive sedan. What are the current money factor & residual for 30 months/15K per year? Thanks for your help in advance. 0.9% financing is tempting too;)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

a 335i w x drive sedan too:)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• j_smith1j_smith1 Member Posts: 60
    Car man,

Do you have March numbers for 335xi coupe 36mo/15k mf and residual? Any rebates or incentives out there for current BMW owners (financed not leased and not through BMW) other than the 1000 advertised on the BMW website?

Thanks!
  • j_smith1j_smith1 Member Posts: 60
    Can you also give the same numbers on a left over 2011 335xi coupe?
    Thanks!
  • tga01tga01 Member Posts: 69
    Car_Man,

When calculating a lease in New Jersey, can you tell me how a trade-in affects the sales tax paid on the lease. eg. If I lease a car that has a sales price of $50,000 and am trading in a car that the dealer is giving me $20,000 for, would I only be paying sales tax on the lease for the difference of $30,000 ? Can you explain how it works in NJ and where the trade-in is entered into the calculation ?

thanks in advance !!!!
  • tga01tga01 Member Posts: 69
    Hi,

Can you tell me if the price of 38,235 is before any rebates, or does this include the rebates ?

thanks in advance !!
  • joescar1joescar1 Member Posts: 5
    Hello do you have the March mf and residuals for 2012 328i 4 dr, 36 mo, 12k and 15k/yr? Thank you!
  • bwm135bwm135 Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2012
    Here are the terms I'm seeing on the new 30 month deal ('11 model 328 x-drive sedans only):

Base MF (Super Elite Credit Tier): .00180
    Residuals 15k/12k/10k: 64/66/67%

Plus the $2500 in build out cash to sweeten the deal. Regrettably it seems the loyalty and extended loyalty programs that were in place over the holidays are history.

Pretty sure this is accurate, Car Man can correct if it isn't. Hope it helps.
  • bwm135bwm135 Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2012
    Looks like no change from February.

'12 328 sedan (F30), 36 mo.

Base Mf: .00195
    Residuals 15/12/10k: 62/64/65%
    thanks for the reply. I think if I go for this, it'll be a purchase. I do way too many miles per year to lease.

• CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi Noah. As you have seen, leasing the all-new 3-Series Sedan is not a very good deal right now. That's pretty typical for a completely redesigned vehicle. The people who want to be the first on the block to have one are going to pay a lot more than the people who wait until closer to the end of the model year.

I think that what you were quoted is right about what I would expect a '12 Sedan to cost right now, but I wouldn't say that it's a good deal when compared to how much the 3-Series used to cost to lease or to other competitive models.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Greetings lee140. Since you are new to leasing, you definitely should check out the following informative articles on the subject that are available here at Edmunds.com: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

In short, the easiest way to get a good deal on a leased vehicle is to shop around for the lowest possible selling price and then have the dealer that you decide to go with calculate your vehicle's monthly payment using its buy rate lease money factor.

BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor for the 2011 328i is .00185.

What is the MSRP of the car that you are considering leasing? I need a number to compare the selling price that you were quoted to.

Car_man
    Host
  • thegeneral13thegeneral13 Member Posts: 9
    I am reverse engineering the March 328xi 30-month lease offer advertised on BMW's website so I can negotiate a lease on the same car w/ slightly different installed options. While doing that I ran into an interesting question. Is there a hidden factory to dealer incentive on these cars right now (beyond the advertised $2500 cash allowance)?

The reason I ask is this. In order to get the advertised $328 pre-tax monthly payment for a 30 month, 10k mile lease given the MSRP listed in the deal, the $2000 down payment in the deal terms, and the March residual (67% for 10k miles) and money factor (.0018) for a 328xi, the net capitalized cost has to be $33,475. That means the cost before down payment (selling price) is $35,475. If I assume that BMW is not going to advertise a deal that provides its dealers less than a 5% profit margin, the implied dealer invoice is about $33,785 (this equals the $35,475 selling price divided by 1.05). However, when I take the factory invoice from Edmunds ($37,650), add $300 for advertising, and subtract the $2500 cash allowance, I arrive at an estimated dealer invoice of $35,450, which is $1665 above the invoice that would provide a 5% margin and almost exactly in line with the $35,475 selling price, implying zero margin. This implies there might be an additional hidden factory to dealer incentive to allow the dealer to make a margin under the advertised lease terms. If this incentive doesn't exist, then it looks like dealers make no margin on this offer. Is that possible?

The only other possibilities I see are that BMW is using this promotion as a traffic draw and dealers really won't have any direct profit from it, or that BMW is leaving it up to the dealers to scratch out their margin on doc fees and F&I shenannigans, or that simply dumping the old 3-series inventory and associated financing costs is good enough for dealers to not mind BMW offering a zero profit promotion.

Any thoughts (car_man or others)?
    Hi Jennifer. $500 and change over dealer invoice plus the use of the buy rate lease money factor is a very good deal on a new 3 Sedan. Enjoy and make sure to stop back to tell us how you like it.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi anandks. BMW is currently providing $2,500 dealer cash on the 2011 328xi Sedan. As a result, if I was in the market for one right now, I personally would shoot for a selling price of around $2,000 under invoice.

I believe that BMW is currently providing the most attractive terms on 30-month leases of this car.

BMW Financial Services' March buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 30-month lease of a 2011 328xi with 15,000 miles per year are .00180 and 64%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi nyccarguy. BMW Financial Services' March buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 30-month lease of a 2011 328i xDrive with 15,000 miles per year are .00180 and 64%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

When negotiating your deal on this car, make sure to take advantage of the $2,500 dealer cash that is currently available on it.

Car_man
    Host
    Hey nyccarguy. BMW Financial Services' March buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 30-month lease of a 2011 335i xDrive with 15,000 miles per year are .00180 and 61%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

When negotiating your deal on this car, make sure to take advantage of the $2,500 dealer cash that is currently available on it.

Car_man
    Host
    Greetings j_smith1. BMW Financial Services' March buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 335xi Coupe with 15,000 miles per year are .00195 and 61%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

I don't believe that BMW is currently providing any owner loyalty offers on this car, but as you mentioned there is a $1,000 cash incentive on leases of it for everyone.

Car_man
    Host
    Hey j_smith1. I don't believe that BMW is leasing 2011 Coupes any longer, just the sedans. There probably isn't very many '11 Coupes left out there. There supposedly is still a ton of '11 Sedans though.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi tga01. In New Jersey when you trade in a vehicle on a new one that you plan to lease, you are only charged sales tax on the difference between the two vehicles' prices, not the full selling price of the new vehicle.

Just make sure to have the dealer cut you a check for your trade rather than using the proceeds from it as a down payment on your new lease. Consumers who make large down payments on leased vehicles risk losing part or all of the money that they put down if their vehicle is stolen and never recovered or totaled in an accident.

Car_man
    Host
    I certainly do joescar1. BMW Financial Services' March buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 328i Sedan with 15,000 miles per year are .00195 and 62%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

The residual value for a lease with only 12,000 miles per year would be 2% higher.

Car_man
    Host
    That information is spot-on. Thanks for sharing, bwm135.

Car_man
    Host
  • supermaxhdsupermaxhd Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2012
    The national lease offer shows for a 2011 328i xdrive .... $328*/month for 30 months $2,500 Allowance available. First Two Payments, up to $500 per payment, paid by BMW FS. This is for 'nicely equipped' msrp of $40,145, and 25,000 miles and 20 cents a mile over.

• $328 First months payment
    • $2,000 Down payment
    • $0 Security Deposit
    • $725 Acquisition fee
    • $3,053 Cash due at signing

My question is...is the $2500 allowance included in the $328/month payment? In other words if I use the $2500 allowance towards cash due at signing is the payment still $328? I find the wording of 'cash available' confusing and not explained in any of the finer print. thanks,
  • parman12parman12 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know what the current residual and money factor is for a 36 month 10k mile lease?
  • sparkllandsparklland Member Posts: 1
    The $399 Is based of an MSRP of $37,500 with a 67% residual ( $ 25,125 ) and the money factor is .00180 equivalent to 4.32%.

Those figures seem pretty good for nothing down and with the dealer picking up the first two payments.
  • parman12parman12 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Sparklland...I don't think those numbers appear to be correct for a 2011 335i sedan (no all wheel drive).
  • lightsydelightsyde Member Posts: 8
    I just got this lease offer from a dealer for 36 months and 10k miles. Please let me know if I can do better. Thanks!

$45,595 MSRP
    $42790 Selling Price include $1000 BMW Cash
    $2500 Cap Reduction

Money Factor: 0.00195
    Residual: 64%

$437 + tax ($470.73 w/ CA tax)
  • rosenkreuz1rosenkreuz1 Member Posts: 2
    Hey Carman,

Got a quote for a 328i convertible, $53595 MSRP, selling price $51000,
    30 month lease, 12000 miles per year.
    Bay Area, CA.

$5000 down
    and monthly $575 + tax (=622).

residue 68%, mf 0.0025.

Does that sound right? Thanks!
    Good afternoon carman. I was wondering if you could tell me how BMW figures out the residual for leases over 15K per year. I know there is a mileage charge ($.16 I believe) and an additional drop in residual value. I'm just not sure what that lower percentage is. I'm looking to possibly take advantage of the fantastic 30 month lease with a 20K mile per year allowance.

Thanks as always in advance for your help.

• rockne98rockne98 Member Posts: 5
    This is an excellent point on the March 328xi 10k/30 month lease deal, and I was struggling with the same thing when running calculations. If the answer to the question is that the Edmunds invoice remains correct $(37,650), then am I right that we should not expect to do any better than the terms of the advertised lease deal? It would be extremely beneficial to know this information before trying to negotiate a lease on this March deal.
    You can do better than the advertised lease deal. I think I was spot on in my line of thinking in my previous message, even though nobody responded to me. There is another $1000 or perhaps as much as $1500 in indirect factory to dealer incentives on these cars. By indirect, I mean that the dealership receives some variable kickback per car from BMW depending on how many of the 2011 328xi's it gets off the lot. The dealer will tell you there is no extra incentive on the car and that he's "not making any money," but what he really means is there is no direct incentive that lowers the dealer invoice he is working off of in negotiating the price. But there is a lump sum paid to the dealer for all the 328xi's they move, and some portion of that can rightly be allocated to each car, whether the sales guy wants to admit it or not (hint: he won't). At least that's what I can deduce from negotiating my own lease, and I used this information to sign a lease for below invoice (per Edmunds) over the weekend. FYI, I leased a car with an MSRP $2500 higher than the advertised car w/ the same term and mileage; I put $0 down and also did MSD, but had I put $2000 down and not used MSD (like the advertised deal), my monthly payment would have been $324, so $4 lower than the advertised deal for a car with a $2500 higher MSRP on like-for-like terms. Between the doc fee and a markup on the acquisition fee (I negotiated this down as much as I could) the dealer collected another $400 in profit, but I am pretty happy with this deal overall. And the larger point is that there IS a hidden incentive, and you CAN do better than the advertised deal. Good luck!
  • hash2hash2 Member Posts: 32
    Hi,

I see Edmunds Invoice Price as 36,975 not 37,650 for 40,145 MSRP. Which means delta between MSRP and Invoice is 3,170, whereas the advertised offer requirs 2,170 dealer contribution. That means dealer is making 1,000 before any hidden incentive for dealers based on # of cars sold. Can someone confirm this by checking the edmunds price again. I think I am doing it correctly but a confirmation would be great. Thus there is an additional $1,000 to play with and maybe squeeze 500 out of it???

Carman, 2 questions for you:
    Is the reduction in MF for each MSD still 0.00007 or that has changed and is 7 still the max number of MSDs?
    Can we combine the 2 free months with the 328/month offer that includes 2500 incentive?
    That's really interesting, hash2. Edmunds changed the invoice price sometime between Saturday morning and now. I just checked on Edmunds and you are right, it shows $36,975 for the invoice on that car, but up through Sat. morning when I did my final check on the numbers they were showing the $37,650 that rockne98 quoted. Weird. Anyway, yes, that would give the dealer $1000 to play with instead of just $325, and one should probably try to get $500 of it.

I can answer your other two questions because I literally just did this two days ago. Yes, MSD is 7 (max) x .0007, and yes, you can get the 2 free payments AND the $2500 cash allowance.
    thegeneral13, do you mind sharing more specifics about your lease - MSRP, Selling Price, how much upfront (breakout acq fee, doc/advert fee, etc) and monthly payments pre-tax? did you include acq fee, doc, etc in monthly payments or paid upfront?

To me it seems that if you are able to bake in everything in monthly payments and have 0 upfront besides MSDs, you get a better deal due to the 2 free months.

I am hoping to identify specific 328xi (color + options) I want at couple dealers this week and probably negotiate as much as I can next week. Any data points you can provide would help me. Have a feeling dealers may get even more aggressive last 2 or 3 days of this quarter.
    MSRP: $42,865 (prem pkg/valu pkg/nav/a few other goodies)
    Selling Price: $37,000
    Down Payment: $0
    Term: 30 months
    Mileage: 10k
    Residual: 67%
    MF: 0.0018
    Doc Fee: $289 (non-negotiable per dealer)
    Acq Fee: $850 ($125 markup to BMWFS fee, negotiated down from $200)
    Disposition Fee: $350 (required by BMWFS)
    MSD: $2800 for 7 x 0.00007 = 0.00049 reduction in MF ($2800 = 7 x $400, which is the monthly payment rounded up to the nearest $50)
    Montly payment (pre-tax): $362

I paid the acq fee, doc fee, and MSD up front, along with all the tag, title, etc. required by the state. I did not finance the fees - I don't even know if you can.
    Thats an awesome deal - 362/month with nothing upfront other than the fees. you mananged to get it at almost invoice minus 2,500 incentive. thanks for the details, very helpful.
    The General - So are you saying there are additional incentives available besides the $2500 & 1st 2 (up to $500) payments?

I'm supposed to pick up my 2011 328xi on Thursday. Titanuim Silver/Black Leather. Value/Premium/Nav/Heated Steering Wheel/Steptronic/Xenons/Split Folding Rear Seats

MSRP: $44,190
    Selling Price: $38,746

20K per year lease for 30 months
    $0 Capitalized Cost Reduction
    $725 Acquisition Fee
    CT Sales Tax Included (6.35%)

$572/Month

I negotiated hard and am quite happy with it. As I said in an earlier post, the like-for-like payment is actually slightly lower than the advertised deal despite a $2500 higher MSRP. On the old Edmunds invoice data I was working off of (cross-checked w/ BMW Config) I got it for slightly under invoice. According to the new Edmunds data I got it a little above. Either way, I'm happy.

BTW, I agree with you about potentially having leverage at the end of the quarter. If you don't feel like you're getting a great deal, though, I would just wait if you can. The mild winter seems to have left a ton of these in dealer inventories, and it doesn't get any easier to sell an AWD car when snow is a distant memory. There's a reason the lease deals were pulled for the i's and left in place for the xi's, after all. Plus I doubt BMW wants these things to keep sitting around when they are trying to get people into the new 2012s. Add that up and you should only see deals get better, so until the inventory around you starts getting thin and you are worried about selection, there's probably no real rush to consummate a so-so deal.
    Well, it's a factory to dealer incentive, not a customer incentive, so if you are worried that you didn't take advantage of some other offer out there, don't be. What it means is the true cost of the car to the dealer (dealer invoice) is lower than the factory invoice you pull off of Edmunds or see on the window sticker. That means you can get the car at "invoice" and the dealer can still make money. If you know it's there, you can call "BS" on the salesman when he gives you the "I'm losing money at that price!" line. I figure dealer invoice is probably $1000 cheaper that factory invoice on the 2011 328xi right now, at least using the old Edmunds invoice pricing. Again, all this knowledge does it let you negotiate a better selling price because you have a better understanding of the seller's cost basis and thus how low he might go.

I'm not sure how to interpret your deal overall b/c I have no idea what the residual is for a 20k lease. But the selling price looks okay, at least in terms of the discount to MSRP (6.7% discount before the $2500 allowance; this compares to 5.4% for the advertised deal and 7.9% for my deal). It's really better to look in comparison to invoice but I don't know what it is for your list of options - you can look it up on Edmunds if you want.
    Thanks for your insight. The residual is the same as the 15K lease (64%) with paying for additional miles. My selling price includes the rebate. Probably could've done a little better on the selling price had I taken a car off their lot. I has to have Xenons & Navigation. They have cars on their lot that have either or, but not both.

I'm also fairly happy with my trade in too. They are giving me $18,500 & I owe $14,3. So I'm going to get a nice check back from the dealer.

BMW is making my 1st 2 payments (I'll have to pay $72). I've got a $500 BMWCCA rebate (payment #3, $72). Then I'll start dipping in to the check I'm getting back for the equity in my Acura.

• dollar_pounddollar_pound Member Posts: 46
    General....great info...any chance you can postbthe dealer name? Thanks
    Hi parman12. BMW Financial Services' March buy rate lease money factor and residual value or a 36-month lease of a 2011 335i Sedan with 10,000 miles per year are .00195 and 56%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

Car_man
    Host
This discussion has been closed.