Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series Lease Questions

Comments

• CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi wildcat005. BMW FS' residual values for leases with 10,000 miles per year are 3% higher than its 15,000 mile per year residual values and 1% higher than its 12k residuals.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Here's the information that you're looking for, missysoso. BMW Financial Services' March buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24-month lease of a 2013 328i Sedan with 15,000 miles per year are .00130 and 60% for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

15,000 miles per year is the highest mileage allowance that BMW FS publishes residual values for. If you need to drive more than that, you will have to purchase additional miles on a per-mile basis. It is less expensive to do so at lease signing than it is to wait until lease-endn and have to pay an excess mileage penalty.

BMW is providing a $1,000 cash incentive on leases of this car right now. Make sure to take it into account during your negotiations.

Car_man
    Host
  • punjimanpunjiman Member Posts: 4
    Hey guys,
    Here is my latest negotiation results:
    335ixdrive sedan, MSRP 57, negotiated to MSRP 49K, 24mths, 24Kmiles, 640/mth, 1700 down
    It was pretty easy to get these numbers, so any advice would be greatly appreciated if I should go for even better numbers.
    MF-0.0013, Residual-68%
    Thanks in advance.
  • bimmerdreamerbimmerdreamer Member Posts: 6
    Hey everyone, first post here. I'm taking the plunge and leasing a 328i, and this is the deal offered to me by the Southern California BMW dealer. Based on what I've read here, it seems pretty straightforward and fair. I haven't even really done any negotiating at this point. I want to see if you guys think I should push for a lower price here.

VEHICLE: 2013 BMW 328i Sedan

Base Price $36,850.00 MSRP
    With heated front seats, Harman Kardon sound and metallic grey paint (+ Destination and handling):

MSRP = $39670

Selling price offered to me = $36,105

Lease Terms
    Lender BMW Financial Services
    Term 36 Months
    Mileage 12,000/year
    Money Factor 1.3
    Residual Factor 62%

Selling Price $36,105
    Total Capitalized Cost $36,105

Residual Value $24,595.40
    Total Depreciation $10,264.16
    Capital Reduction $1245.44
    Monthly Depreciation $285.12
    Monthly Rent $77.29

Monthly Payment $362.41
    Tax (9%) $32.62

Monthly Payment + Tax $395.02

Capital Reduction $1245.44
    Cap Reduction Tax (9%) $184.54
    License & Registration $370.00
    Bank Fee $725.00
    Documentation Fee $80.00
    First Payment $395.02
    Security Deposit $0.00

Drive Off $3,000.00

Trade Equity $0.00
    Rebate $1,000.00

Due at Signing $2,000.00
  • darbebodarbebo Member Posts: 14
    So just to confirm:
    Your cost over the life of lease: $2000 + (395.02 * 35months) = 15825.7 correct?
    That's right, total cost over 3 years = 15,825.70.

When you put it that way, it sounds like a lot for something that you don't get to keep at the end of the payments. But oh well. I'm already fantasizing about driving it.
  • jasonmdbmwjasonmdbmw Member Posts: 117
    If you're going to buy a 3 Series soon, do it now before March is up. BMW will be doing away with the $1000 lease/APR cash
    Oh no! I have my BMW ordered, but it hasn't entered production yet and certainly won't be ready before the end of this month. Am I hosed for this rebate?

Are we sure that it's going away?

Thanks Jason!
  • sodalimesodalime Member Posts: 1
    This is my deal, wondering everyones thoughts and if I should pull the trigger?

335i Convertible 36 month/ 10k miles *No loyalty*
    Premium Package
    Comfort Access
    Navigation
    Satellite Radio
    Net: 57,800
    Dest: 895
    Total Suggested Price: $58695

MF: 00130
    Residual: 65%

Signing: 1st months, Fees and Insurance, Upfront Taxes: $944
    Rebate as Cap Reduction: $1500
    Total Cash on Delivery: $944

Monthly Payment: $549 plus 6% tax
    Total Monthly Payment: $582

I dont really understand why the add the rebate as a cap reduction and then give you the rebate zeroing it out, but I am sure there is some benefit to the dealer doing it this way.

I think it is a good deal and other dealers have told me they cant match, so I am thinking I am at the bottom, but just wanted to know what you guys thought?

Any help would be appreciated,
    Thanks,
    Matt
  • ashtravelerashtraveler Member Posts: 2
    Hey, I'm looking to get a 335is convertible as well.
    If you're getting the factory rebates, then your deal is ok. If you go to bmwconfig.com you can see what the invoice is. The factory rebates should be taken off the lowest negotiated price, then that would be a great deal.

I think I'm getting hosed on the MF and RV. I'm being told in Phoenix that it's 0.00170 and RV 64%. So I'm not sure the truth of that.

Where are you looking to buy? If you go to bimmerfest in dealer section you can find a dealer who will sell at invoice. They are known as sponsors. I found Jon Shafer in Santa Barbara, CA who was quite upfront. I think he also increased the MF but overall more honest than 8 others I've talked to.

If you know anything good, feel free to pass it along.
    Good luck,
    Ash
  • ashtravelerashtraveler Member Posts: 2
    That's a horrible deal! Is there no competition where you are? Go elsewhere. If they know you are repeat customer they will knock off a lot on your car and the new one.
  • cerritosguycerritosguy Member Posts: 2
    Please help anyone, I am trying to lease a 328i with premium and technology pkg, MSRP $43,945.
    12,000 miles/yr. 36 months
    $464 + tax (9.25% in so cal)
    $2000 drive off ($1000 rebate included)
    residual $27,369

I dont think it is best deal but would like 2nd opinion
    thanks,
  • skobolaskobola Member Posts: 207
    edited March 2013
    Kromix, as I also live in FL, and provided that your tax is 7%, I guess that you live in Miami Dade County, exactly like me. Your deal looks very good, and especially when knowing that Miami has only 2 dealers, who happen not to be very much fighting for the sales. Therefore, can you please tell me from which dealer did you lease your Bimmer. Maybe you can even share the name of the salesperson? Moreover, how did you manage to get the USAA incentive? I guess that you must be insured with them, which is not the case for me, as I am insured by Geico, but still, I could not find this discount on USAA's web site neither. Thank you in advance.
  • idgystinks1idgystinks1 Member Posts: 44
    USAA incentives for leasing is an additional $500, up to $1500 if purchasing.

Membership comes from either serving in the military or being children of USAA members.
    End of month lease deal that I have to consumate today:

2013 BMW 328i
    Premium
    Sport Line
    Mineral Gray/gray leather/brushed aluminum
    Heated seats
    Window Tint added (no charge)

MSRP $44,395
    36 Month, 12k year 62% residual, MF .0013

Negotiated Price: $41,200 (does not include any incentive)

Additionall Incentives: $750 loyalty
    $1000 f30 incentive
    $500 USAA leasing incentive
    $up to $500 first payment incentive (turn key program)

Payment 35x $436 (disregarding tax). No money down, no security deposit.

Pull ahead program is interesting. I have 44,000 mile on my 2011 BMW 535i (stick) and BMWFS is paying the last three payments of $820 plus paying my first new lease payment. To me this was a no brainer as my miles (45,000) were about used and my lease ends 18 July 2013. In essence it is like being forgiven $2,500 plus the first payment - so an additional $3000 into the deal.

Anyone else get this program notice in the mail. BMWFS only gave me one week just after I paid my 4th to last payment. I thought this was too good to be true. The big catch is finding a car you like in the short time you have been given.
  • kromixkromix Member Posts: 17
    Hi, yes well I'm in Miami, but I went to Pembroke Pines BMW, South & Braman are terrible.

Ask for Les Cutler @ Pembroke Pines bmw and tell him Igor sent you.
  • leoblueleoblue Member Posts: 19
    Hi guys. My first post here and sorry to ask this very basic question. Last month BMW had the lease deal of 369/month for 36 months for a 328i xDrive with $1000 lease credit. This is based on MSRP of $42,845.

I thought the lease credit of $1K has already factored in the deal to make monthly payment of $369/month.

But this month, BMW has the same exact lease deal, just without the $1000 lease credit.

Assuming there was a $1K lease credit, would that mean the monthly payment could be lower than $369/month when we applied the lease credit to make the MSRP lower than $42,845 as indicated in the deal? (I understand that there are other fees, tax... that make the actual payment a lot higher than $369 but that's not what I'm asking here)

Generally, I was told that usually the best lease deal is the deal that is given to you by the manufacturer because the manufacturer has already factored in price discount, low money factor, high residual value... that the dealers would not be able to offer out of their own pocket. Given this advice, I would have walked in a BMW dealer to ask for the lease deal on a MSRP $42,845 car for $369/month (before other fees) assuming the $1000 lease credit had already been included to make this deal. But it looks like it's not the case.

Sorry again for this very basic question. I've never leased before and in the market to lease a BMW in the near future.
    I found it useful to use edmunds lease calculator or another to see how a lease payment is determined.

The $1000 comes either from BMWFS or from dealer discount assuming residual and money factors the same.

I never seem to be able to find a car like the ones advertised.

When making a lease offer. I put the price at invoice, assume best Money factor and all rebates as cap cost reductions.

March was end of a quarter so it may explain some really good deals out there.
  • sdg2013sdg2013 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I’m new to the forum and have found the information here very helpful.

I have a couple of questions.

Question 1. Has taken advantage of the College Graduate Program? Were you allowed to combine the incentive with other offers?

Question 2. I leased a BMW in April of 2007 and at the time I called the 800# completed my application through BMWFS. I was given an approval number that I was able to take to any BMW dealer…

Today, I’m in the market to lease again. I applied at one dealership thinking I had a good deal, but once I found this site and took the time to crunched the numbers it wasn’t very good.

I called BMWFS to get my approval number and found out that my application is only good at the dealership I initially applied at. If I decide to lease the car through another dealership I would have to resubmit another application and have another hard inquiry on my CR.
    Does anyone know when BMWFS started having the dealers make the credit term decisions?

Thanks
    Thanks. Could you share how you got the invoice price?
  • kyle_dealkyle_deal Member Posts: 3
    First, I am not an expert and just want to post info that I found out at BMW in MV....in the end not very happy with the number_how they calculate and tried to "scam" me.

BMW, Mountain View, CA

335i, M Package, Tech, Navigation, Heated Seat, Estoril Blue, Dark Dakota Leather....MSRP $54,220

Final Price $50500, then I told them I want to lease it for 12K/year with MF .0013 (I believe you can go lower if the dealership is in the need of getting their bonus. The MF .0013 the BMWFS standard charge for lease, and the dealer will try to mark up .0019 to make extra $, DON"T DO IT)

$50500....Negotiated Price
    $49500...$1000/discount for Recent Grad
    $49000...$500/USAA Member
    $33616...Residual Value
    $725.......Acquisition Fee, the sale manager tried to mark it up to $925
    $1074.....Registration/Initial Fee/Doc fee...
    $5000.....Down Payment

Then my monthly payment still at $538/month, which equivalent to $23830 for a total lease.

$725+1074+49000=50799

(50799 + 33616) *.0013 = 109.8 * 36 = $3950...Rent Charge/Finance Fee

49000 - 33616 = 15384/36 = $427 Lease Payment a month.

$427 + $109 = 536 * .08625% = 582/Month

Above is my calculation and I hope I am right.....$582 *36 = $20973 is Total lease payment with $0 Down.

The Deal at MV BMW gave me was $538/month with $5000 down which equivalent to $23830

It's about $2857 different from what I saw when I was at the finance office. I just simple get up and walked out on them, then the finance manager told me "so what would you like your monthly to be". As soon as I heard that phrase, I know right away it's a shady deal.

I hope this help! Good Luck
  • sdg2013sdg2013 Member Posts: 3
    The way I understand it is that if you paid 0$ down the acquisition and registration fees would roll into the Cap Cost (financed amount) making it:

50799 – 33616 = 17183/36 = 477.30
    (50799 + 33616)*.0013 = 109.74
    Which = 587 * 1.08625 = 637.68 * 36= 22956.40

23830 - 22956.40 = 873.60 different.
    I may be wrong though.
    Invoice seems like a moving target. After checking Edmunds and other sources my best estimate was about $300 over the Edmunds "invoice" price. Dealers add their overhead and you get into all kinds of disagreements. My method was not rejected by my dealer. I suspect that no one really knows dealer cost since a complicated system of incentives exists. I have found that the last day of the quarter allows all kinds if things to happen if you are ready.

It would appear the dealer made no money on my deal. however, all were happy, The salesman, the sales manager the FI guy. They even sent chocolate chip cookies in the mail in a BMW tin. Nice touch but all indicates that salaries were paid. No one put in a swimming pool but all were happy.
    edited April 2013
    Invoice is not a moving target. Please visit bmwconfig.com to find your precise invoice price with exact options selected.
    That site is really easy to navigate. I am sitll curious how, my selling price was less than the invoice amount before my rebates and loyalty discounts.

BMW has no holdback but I once again suspect hidden incentives at work here?

Dealer gets the aquisition fee, a sold car, and my lease turn in to sell if they like it.

Regards
  • nchinchi Member Posts: 7
    Hi,

What is the MF and residual % for 36 mo 15k mi /yr lease? Best credit.

thanks
    I got this deal from Peter Pan BMW.......Rayman was the sale man for my Vehicle, straight forward no haggling at all when I dealt with him over the phone/email. I just sign the contract when I arrived at the dealership and took the car home

2013 328i Estoril blue
    M-Sport Package
    Tech Package
    Nav Package
    Dark Dakota leather Seat
    8SPD Auto/Paddle Shift
    BMW Apps
    Driver Assistance Package
    MSRP $49,595

Raymond told me $44,985 is the lowest the dealer will sell it.... I was like wow straight to price, no haggling, I like it, done! Roughly around $1000 below invoice price.

Then I have $500 USAA Incentive, $1000 Recent Grad....

No Down Payment at all....$570 + Tax (15k/yr) 2 yr lease

Lease the vehicle using Security Deposit Program to buy my MF down to .0008 ( I believe you can get this lower too but i was in need to get a vehicle).

Good Luck Guys!
    Hi leoblue. BMW made up for at least part of the elimination of the $1,000 credit by boosting the residual values for 3-Series Sedans a little.

Car_man
    Host
    Thank you very much Car_man. Really appreciate your info.

Just to make sure I understand correctly:
    - March lease deal 369/month for 36 months for a 328i xDrive with $1000 lease credit (MSRP of $42,845)

is essentially the same as:
    - April lease deal 369/month for 36 months for a 328i xDrive (MSRP of $42,845) (not stated in the advertisment but residual value was boosted to keep the monthly payment the same)

Is it correct?
    Based on math, (rounded MSRP)

if the car is under $50,000 then March's figures look better for a 3 series sedan with $1,000 Lease credit.

if the car is over $50,000 then April's figures look better for the same car.
  • moorech1moorech1 Member Posts: 3
    Carman, could you please provide 328 and 335 sedan residuals for April for 12k and 15k miles? Thank you.
  • alexandergldalexandergld Member Posts: 5
    Can you guys take a look at these #'s and let me know what you guys think? Should I negotiate further?

This is my first lease - your assistance is greatly appreciated!

BMW 2013 328i Sedan
    Sport line, Automatic, Premium Package, Tech, Lighting Package
    MSRP $48,895.00

36 Mo/10k miles per year
    Money Factor 1.29
    Residual Factor 65%

Selling Price $44,740.00
    Bank Fee $925.00

Total at drive-off:
    $45,665.00

Residual Value $31,781.75
    Total Depreciation $13,883.25
    Capital Reduction $0.00
    Monthly Depreciation $385.65
    Monthly Rent $99.91

Monthly Payment + Tax inc.
    $528.04

I want to drive off paying only registration and first months payment! I qualify per BMW Financial.
    Can you take a look at my #'s and let me know what you think? Getting #'s from all over the Bay Area (SF) would appreciate your input.
    BMW 2013 328i Sedan
    MSRP $48,895.00

36 Mo/10k miles per year
    Money Factor 1.29
    Residual Factor 65%

Selling Price $44,740.00
    Bank Fee $925.00

Total at drive-off:
    $45,665.00

Capital Reduction $0.00
    Monthly Rent $99.91

$528.04

1) you can get the dealer go lower on the MSRP, I got mine 5k off MSRP ( go to peter pan bmw and talk to Raymond, say that Kyle send you)...this guy gave me a straight up deal no haggling at all.

2) you should do the Multiple Security Deposit will drop your MF from .00129 to .0008....save you at least $1300 on the rent charge. I pay my rent charge only $1302 for 2 year lease with 15k/year.

IMO, I only like to do 2 year lease with 15K/Year....go to peter pan bro! Highly recommended, I went to 4 dealer in the bay area, they are gave me a run around BS!..

GOOD LUCK! I hope my answer help you!
    Yes, leoblue, BMW's advertised lease payment on the 2013 328xi Sedan is essentially unchanged from March.

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/Vehicles/2013/3/328ixDriveSedan/OfferDeta- il.aspx?NAModelCode=133U&OfferType=2&regiontypeid=2

Even though the $1,000 cash incentive went away, BMW boosted its residual values for this car to offset the loss of the cash and keep its advertised payment about the same. BMW plays with the residual values for its vehicles all the time. They are typically significantly higher than what the real residual would be for its models.

Car_man
    Host
    I'd be happy to help you out moorech1. BMW Financial Services' April buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 328i Sedan with 15,000 miles per year are .00129 and 62% for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a 2013 335i Sedan are .00129 and 62%, interestingly exactly the same.

If you were to lease either of these cars with only 12,000 miles per year, its residual value would be 2% higher.

Car_man
    Host
  • carguy778carguy778 Member Posts: 33
    edited April 2013
    According to the above lease deal the residual value of $31785 for 3 series I have calculated some numbers.

For 3 years 508x36 = $ 19009.44
    then finance the residual at 3% ($31785) for 60 months comes to $36480
    Total at the end of all payments $55,488 for a car with with negotiated price of $ 45665.

Does this sound right? Why not out right buy the car from day 1.
    Not including car insurance and all etc.

Price $45665 at 6.5% sale tax plus 3% finance rate x60 months + $873.88
    Total after 5 years $52432.80. Not including car insurance etc.
    One still saves $3000 close to.
    I don't understand.
    Please elaborate why should I lease?
    Thanks

BMW 2013 328i Sedan
    MSRP $48,895.00

36 Mo/10k miles per year
    Money Factor 1.29
    Residual Factor 65%

Selling Price $44,740.00
    Bank Fee $925.00

Total at drive-off:
    $45,665.00

Capital Reduction $0.00
    Monthly Rent $99.91

$528.04
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    If your goal is to ultimately own the car, you probably shouldn't lease.

But, the main difference between your two scenarios is three extra years of finance charges under the lease, then buy plan..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• carguy778carguy778 Member Posts: 33
    The ultimate goal is to save money, thats the whole concept of leasing. But it seems like paying $20000 every three years not including car insurance is insane. All this talk about Money factor and residuals are there to disillusion us from thinking about the real thing. I am not in favor of leasing or buying. But after doing 5 minutes of calculations its clear to save money and pay cash when one can afford it not driving around in a new Rental Bmw (lease) or finance (loaned) car. But that is just how feel. I really don't see the point of all this discussion about 500/600/700 a month and leasing.
  • jewel585jewel585 Member Posts: 4
    Hi Car_man, could you provide the money factor and residual for a 2013 335i coupe and sedan, both for 36 months and 10K miles/yr? Thanks!
    Thank you very much Car_man.

Could you share with us money factor and residual value for 24-month lease of a 2013 328i xdrive with 15K miles? Thank you.
    Hi kromix. I use bmwconfig.com. It's very useful. I put in all my selection and the invoice price showed up right away. However, the next tab: Finance "Finance and Lease Calculator", after I input everything the Monthly Payment with Taxes/Drive Off/Total Cash Out still empty. I thought the should be a button "Calculate" or something to hit but couldn't find it. Do I need to install sth or to register to have it calculate? Appreciate your help. Thanks.
    OK I have a few questions,

I read in a few forums that you save more money on a 2yr vs 3yr lease is this why you choose the 2yr? Also 10k vs 15k mi per year?

I will check into lowering the MSRP. You think I can lower my bank fee $925 and Money Factor of 1.29? Can you also give me an opinion on the Residual Factor factor at 65%?

Lastly, can you explain what the multiple security deposit is? I assumed 0 down was the best way to go but it sounds like you pay more somewhere in the contract.
  • vince1313vince1313 Member Posts: 8
    edited April 2013
    I assume standard "lease special" at all dealers..

335i coupe + premium package (47,995 msrp)

10k miles/year

Includes $1500 lease credt

Nothing down.....monthly payment , inc tax = $537/month

What is the take on this deal?
  • dchabitantdchabitant Member Posts: 21
    edited April 2013
    Hi. Wondering if someone can give me answer on this. I'm about ready to lease a 335i xDrive. Dealer tells me that, because of my wife's diplomatic passport, we are entitled to diplomatic pricing 5% off MSRP. My question is: Can the 5% rebate be applied to the final negotiated price (which I expect to be closer to TMV than MSRP), or is it 5% of MSRP period, with no dealer rebates possible?

Dealer hasn't given me a straight answer.

If it's 5% off MSRP, then there's really no discount at all, since TMV (as I've configured my car) is almost exactly 5% less than MSRP.

Any help would be appreciated.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    I haven't looked at Diplomatic Pricing, recently... but, I'm pretty sure it works like European Delivery. There is a lower invoice price... so, you should be able to negotiate a lower price than a regular buyer...

If it's 5 percent less, then you have the correct take on it..... they are basically charging you MSRP minus the discount..... no discount at all...

I'd shop around..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks kyfdx. I asked the rep twice if 5% discount applied to negotiated price or MSRP. His response was: "It doesn't include options" (which helps me not a bit).

Let me ask you: If you know, is it possible to pay below invoice for a 335i XDrive,; or there not enough manufacturer incentives for this? Should I shoot for $800 above invoice, or could I do better? What do you think is a reasonable price to pay for this vehicle? $500 above invoice? $1000 above invoice?

Thanks.
    I think you are missing the point here.

Incentives are your free money, not the dealers.

Negotiate car to +500 over invoice (INCLUDING FLUFF FEES LIKE DOC FEE DEALER FEE) THEN subtract incentives you qualify for to go under invoice.

Not "Hey dealer I have $1,500 in incentives, I want to be at +500 over invoice"
  • swameeswamee Member Posts: 32
    Gurus:

Considering a 328i @barebones + moonroof and planning to email a few dealers for quotes. At what point do you let them know whether you're leasing or buying? Thanks in advance! And any recommendations for no-hassle dealers in Jersey would be appreciated
    Gotcha. Thanks. Question remains: Do you think $500 over invoice is a reasonable offer given current allocations for 335i xDrive? Or is it something most dealers would never accept on this car? (Done it with other cars in the past)?

Still need to figure out if diplomatic pricing is a cash rebate, or 5% of MSRP--which is useless.

Appreciate your input.
This discussion has been closed.