Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Lease Questions

Comments

• sjbarristersjbarrister Member Posts: 5
    Thanks again Car_Man. I just consummated the deal today, and I am elated!! The car looks so beautiful in my garage!!
  • dday1dday1 Member Posts: 3
    I am interested in leasing a 2009 BMW 550i with 7000 miles. Interested in leasing for 3 to 4 years, 15k per year. In negotiating the lease, what residual values and MF would you use? BTW, MSRP was $74k and current price is $62k. Thanks,
  • sergeymsergeym Member Posts: 283
    Leasing a used car seldom makes sense. With you mleage requirements you should go with a new car 3 year lease just to stay within new car warranty. Good deal for a 2010 550 with similar options and $72K MSRP (no-charge value pack) should be around $900, maybe a little higher.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    If the car is a demo or a factory official model, and qualifies for the new car leasing program, it could be a very good deal.. (We leased an '08 with 10K miles last year at this time, and saved a lot of money).

But, if the car is truly used... then it most likely won't work.

If leasing through BMWFS, you'll have to stick with 36 months... they don't support 48 month leases..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• armitagemikearmitagemike Member Posts: 23
    Hosts:

Do you have the Money Factor and Residuals for November for the 528 I Xdrive? Are they different than the October Money Factors and Residuals? I'm really interested only in the 36 month 36,000 mile option, but others might be interested in the balance of the month/mile options.

Thanks!
    kyfdx,

Thanks for the feedback. It was the owners demo car and they are considering it new. That is why I was considering leasing it. In using some of the MF and residual value %'s I saw in the previous message, it looked like it could be a good deal. Based on a $60k negotiated price, $5k down, I was coming up with a payment in the high $500s. I used the original MSRP as the starting point for the residual value. Am I doing this correctly? BTW, great site. Thanks for the help. Any insight would be appreciated. I was going to talk to them tomorrow.
    You have to account for a lower residual, because of the miles already on the car....

Not sure of the exact program on this car, but generally...

(Miles - 500) X $0.30

So.. for 9000 miles, you'd have to deduct $2550 from the residual. As you'll see, that will add about $70/mo. to the price you calculated. It could still be a good deal compared to leasing a $70K new model.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thank you so much. Going into the dealership today. You have done an amazing job of prepping me for the meeting. Much appreciated and will let you know how it goes.
    Not really, you need to take into account that you did not get a new car. 10K miles is like getting a year old car. It should be cheaper. Paying less is not the same as getting better deal. In most cases it is just that - paying less. Let's see how this person ends up. I can bet his deal will be close to $800 per month with no money down and tax included in the payment. He may save about $100-150 per month but he will not get 2010 car with the new CIC 4.0. It will be the previous year model with some miles and yes, it will cost less.
    If you are renting the car by the month, and you'll be under the 4yr/50K warranty/maintenance coverage for the entire lease.... then, I don't see the difference...

I'm not sure what CIC 4.0 is... I-drive related? Not sure I'd sacrifice $100-$150 per month for an improved interface..

In my case, my '08 X3 was identical to the '09 model, except for some X-drive badges on the side of the vehicle... ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• dunrovendunroven Member Posts: 1
    I have an 07 535 similarly equipped to the one below with a lease renewing in December, 2009. If we trade it for a new lease, wondering what we should look for as a target offer? Our trade is under the mileage cap of 36K miles currently 28K. It has new run flat tires and is in showroom condition.Here are the specifics on the new one:

2010 535i Sedan
    Base MSRP $51,100
    Alpine White $0
    Black Dakota Leather $0
    Dark Poplar Wood $0
    Cold Weather Package $750
    Premium Package $750
    Sport Package $2,900
    Value Package $0
    Navigation system $1,900
    Power rear sunshade with rear manual side window shades $575
    HD Radio $0
    Satellite radio with 1 year subscription $595
    Automatic high beams $250
    Park Distance Control $750
    Destination & Handling: $825
    Total MSRP as Built $60,395

I've read most of the previous posts and am prepared to work hard with two dealers. Plenty of time to negotiate, but it would be great have a target. Thanks in advance for help. I feel fortunate to have access to a forum with so much experience.
    -john
    You need November lease numbers (MF and residuals) from BMWFS first. I have not seen them yet but I've heard they are not as good as October numbers were. There is though $2,500 ($4,000 for current BMW owners) cash insentive from BMW than should help.
  • fm1fm1 Member Posts: 20
    Are you sure, BMW is offering $4000 for current BMW customers? From where did you get this information? I could only find $2500 finance credit. Could you please tell us source of your information. Thanks.
    I am not 100% sure. Would like to hear confirmation to this info. They were talking about $4,000 rebate at e60 dot net
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    You're very welcome, sjbarrister. Congrats on getting your new ride. I'm jealous :shades: .

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Hi dday1. BMW is not providing lease support on 2009 5-Series models any longer. If you really want to lease a 550, you will have to go with a 2010 model. BMW Financial Services' November buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 550i with 15,000 miles per year are .00225 and 57%, respectively.

When negotiating your lease on this car, make sure to take advantage of the $2,500 cash incentive that is currently available on leases of it. BMW is providing an additional $1,500 to loyal customers on top of that.

Car_man
    Host
    I certainly do, armitagemike. Here you go. BMW Financial Services' new November buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 528i xDrive Sedan with 12,000 miles per year are .00245 and 60%, respectively.

When negotiating your lease on this car, make sure to take the $2,500 cash incentive that is currently available on leases of it into account. BMW is providing an additional $1,500 to loyal customers on top of that.

Car_man
    Host
  • armitagemikearmitagemike Member Posts: 23
    Wow, that's quite a difference from October!

For an MSRP of $52,145, excluding the lease acquisition fee, what is a reasonable "negotiated price" of the car if we subtract the $4,000 from that price? I am a returning BMW customer....

Thanks!
    Hi Car_man,

Could you please provide MF for 2010 535i, 10K and 36months? Looks like BMW is giving 4000 to existing customers but at the same time increase the interest. Not sure if this is a good deal. Thanks.

fm
  • 2buyabmw2buyabmw Member Posts: 4
    Hi Car_man and others,

I was quoted :

Model: 2010 528i Sedan

Options :STEPTRONIC Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, and Comfort Access System

MSRP $48,375

Months 36

Miles Per Year 10,000

Initial Investment $3,500 + Tax/Fees

Monthly $486/month and 552/month for a 535i with the same options.He quoted the MSRP same for both but the payments different.

Is this a mistake or is this deal a doable one?

Pls let me know as I am new to leasing and has never leased/owned a BMW.

TIA.
  • rob_m3rob_m3 Member Posts: 8
    Hi car_man,

Any news if BMW Financial is planning on lowering the MF on 2010 528i 36/10 before the end of the year. Currently is .00245, a little high considering they want to move the remaining inventory before the new 5 hits showrooms.

Thanks,

RM
  • johninDCjohninDC Member Posts: 8
    My car has a few nice door dings and scratches. If I lease another BMW from BMW Finance do I need to worry about it or will they look the other way?

Also, my lease is up in March. Everyone agree that December is the best month to sign my new deal? Thanks
  • mjr2umjr2u Member Posts: 13
    SergeyM: Was just at my BMW dealer on Sunday. BMW Finance is now offering $2,500 "Holiday Cash" and for current 5 Series owners, and additional $1,500 if you buy or lease another 5 Series (5 for 5 Promo).
    Hi Carman

Can you confirm the current Nov 09 MF and Residual rates are on a 2010 535i sedan? I was told that the Nov rates went up to 0.0028 MF, 60% residual on a 3yr/12k mi/yr lease. That is quite a jump from the 0.00155 Oct MF rate. However, they are offering $2500 cash, plus $1500 loyalty bonus now. I negotiated $1000 over invoice, but they are also adding in $480 in dealer advertising fees. Here is the breakdown:
    Base MSRP: $51,100
    Neptune Blue, Cream/Blk Dakota, Bamboo
    Cold Weather Pkg $750
    Premium Pkg: $750
    Active Cruise $2400
    Comfort Access $1000
    Head-Up Display $1200
    Heated Rear Seats $350
    Multi-Contour Seats $1200
    Nav $1900
    Power Rear Sunshade $575
    Split fold down rear seat $475
    Premium Hi Fi $1200
    Satellite Radio $595
    Park Distance $750
    Destination $825
    Total MSRP - $65,550
    Negotiated price - $57,150
    MF=0.0028
    Residual=60%

With 2k down, they are telling me $873/mo, 36 mo, 12k mi/yr.
    Does that look like a good lease?
    I have a similar offer for 2010 550 (MSRP $70,070). $2,250 out of pocket and $875 per month. I assume that your $2K down are not the cup cost reduction just the initial payment (first month and fees) still my deal seems to be a little bit better.
  • l0m6905l0m6905 Member Posts: 12
    Hello-

Can someone tell me what is the money factor rate for the 2010 535i 36 month lease, 12,000 miles? The dealer here in Dallas,TX is charging 0.00285. I think this rate is a bit high but I need to know if I can negotiate a lower rate.

Thank You :)
    In DFW, Classic and Moritz offering MF .00280. They are marking up by a percent. What I have learn that they don't want to negotiate on MF but they can lower the price. I think you should be able to get 1000 over invoice easy. I think MF is to high. .00280 means about 6.7%. Though BMW is offering $2500 to new customers but in reality it is miss leading. If not in a hurry, I would wait for better MF.

fm
  • l0m6905l0m6905 Member Posts: 12
    The Dallas dealership recommended if I lease the 2010 535i with the M Sport package then I should purchase the tire warranty which was $1,189.00. This warranty covers damage to the tire but if the tire needs to be replaced due to normal wear & tear then I would be responsible for the cost of the tires. Should I purchase this tire warranty???? (note: salesman said it would cost $550.00 per tire) Please advise.

Thank You.
    Dallas BMW Girl
    If you damage a tire, they will only pay for that tire. If your damaged tire was fairly new then it may be okay but in most cases you want to replace the tires in pair. I would just put that money in the saving account collect interest and insure my self.

fm
  • phoneixphyrephoneixphyre Member Posts: 7
    I selected sport, prem, and cold. But rather than showing $2200 for premium package it only shows up $750. Has anyone else gotten this?

also, the MF seems awfully high. Any news on if and when they will reduce that?

I am going from a 3series to a 5 so the 2500 option won't be available to me will it?

thanks!
  • vchadvchad Member Posts: 97
    Guys, I too have been looking for a 535i lease. But the lease numbers are HORRIBLE. I think bmw is on crack.

this car is being repalced in about 3months with a NEW model, and the interest rate is almost 7%. Guys wait it out, wait till december atleast, see if they lower it. Paying that much is nuts. And you should be working FROM invoice, forget msrp. this car is outdated. for comparisons, mercedes is charging .00270 for a new class that JUST came out, vs bmw's 6yr old car. The extra rebate doesn't offset the insane MF.

Mercedes offered a 10k rebate, on the remaining 09 E-classes, while the newbody 10' model was coming out. BMW will at somepoint come out with a hefty rebate. Dont pay too much.
    That's because the $0 Value Package already includes Leather Interior. So, when you select the Premium Package, all that you're being charged for is the Auto Dimming Mirrors and Garage Door Opener. While it shows $2200 on the description, when you add the Premium Pkg., the correct price updates in the Summary. BMW's Website Tools really need an upgrade!
    I agree, the 0.0028 Nov MF is insane!, especially when the Oct MF was 0.0015.

Even with the $2500 holiday cash, plus another $1500 loyalty bonus, it doesn't really offset the 6.72% effective interest. However, my dealer told me that I can lock in during this program, and if the rates go down by the time my current lease is up (Feb 10) and before I take delivery of the new car, (I'm ordering it) - I can take the lower rate if I want.

Probably what will happen is that BMW will lower the MF (maybe) and if they do, the case incentives will disappear. They're not going to give you both, I'm certain. (I'm really bummed about the MF, because my current '07 5 MF is 0.00085!!! (or 2.04%APR).
  • balukbaluk Member Posts: 2
    Hi I got the following from an NJ dealer

2010 528i Premium, Cold weather
    10K / 36months

MSRP = $48325
    Sale price = $45125 (claims $100 over invoice)
    MF = 0.00245 Res = 61%

4139 down and 538 a month

First time BMWer. What do you guys say?
  • balukbaluk Member Posts: 2
    hi car_man,
    010 528i Premium, Cold weather
    10K / 36months

MSRP = $48325
    Sale price = $45125 (claims $100 over invoice)
    MF = 0.00245 Res = 61%

4139 down and 538 a month

First time BMWer. What do you think?
    I want to get rid of premium and add backup camera and bump mileage to 12k/yr, and ask to keep the payments same. would this be good?
    Thanks!
  • freezedogfreezedog Member Posts: 11
    I'm in the Dallas area. Has anyone heard if or when the dealerships will have some state sales tax credits. I have always got them before on my leases, but the dealerships are telling me they don't have any now. Thanks.
    Also, the couple of Dealers I have spoken to in Dallas are charging a MF of .00280. This is crazy high and appears to be more than BMW financial is charging. Anyone have any luck with getting a lower MF. The extremely high MF and lack of state tax credits makes leasing a new 2010 extremely pricey especially with the new body style coming out in 2010. I would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.
  • rob_m3rob_m3 Member Posts: 8
    I agree, here in Miami Fl dealers are charging .00245 which is a little lower, but still high, it seems the dealers in Dallas are marking up the MF by .35 +/- :mad: . I have a feeling BMW Financial will lower the MF after the new 5 is unveiled on Nov 23rd, maybe they come out with better lease programs for December. Dont rush and wait, they will lower it or they just wont be able to move the last units before the new 5 hits showrooms.
  • bewitzbewitz Member Posts: 10
    they have them now on the 535 so I presume on the 528 also; got the call yesterday; MF still high, I was quoted 0.00275 (6.6%)
    I just got a call saying the Texas state sales tax credits are now available. Thanks.
  • bewitzbewitz Member Posts: 10
    I was told today by 2 dealers the Texas sales tax credits were capped, so that only the first $40,000 was "tax free".
    Car_man or anyone:

Do you think BMW financial will drop the MF in December for the 2010s? Right now the MF appears to be crazy high. I believe the current MF charged by BMW Financial is .0024 while most Dallas area dealers are marking it up to .0028 (6.72%). The 60% residual (for 12k miles), state tax credits, holiday cash, loyalty cash, and negotiated purchase price are great on this car right now. However, the extremely high MF is ruining an otherwise good deal.

What is the likelyhood the MF drops in December to move inventory prior to the end of the year with the other vaiables remaining the same?

When do we usually get word of the December numbers?

Thanks in advance for any help.
  • inquiringinquiring Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

Negotiating a 3 yr/10K lease for a 535xi with premium, nav, parking control and sat. radio.

Total MSRP: 58220. 61% residual

Original dealer offer was about $2200 down, which is first month, fees and $925 down payment, with monthly payment of $755 (before tax is applied).

Spent a lot of time on this site and emailed another dealer and got a quote for about $708/month for same model but less one option, so $750 less in MSRP price.

Used info with original dealer and when talking with the dealer's general manager, I asked if he knew whether MF would go down in December. He stated that the .00028 MF will remain in effect through 1/4/10, same as the holiday credit.

They just came down to $715/month ($40 drop per monthly payment).

Seem like a good deal if I want to finalize this month?
  • nc_driver1nc_driver1 Member Posts: 56
    Hi Car_Man,

Could please update all of us on the December Lease Numbers (12k/15k miles) and current incentives on a 528i?

Thanks so much.
    Hi fm1. BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 535i with 10,000 miles per year are .00240 and 61%, respectively.

As you mentioned, BMW is currently providing a $2,500 cash incentive on leases of this car to all customers plus an additional $1,500 ($4,000 total) to loyal customers.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi rob_m3. The money factor that you mentioned is scheduled to run through January 4th. While it is a tad on the high side compared with what BMW often offers, it is compatible with a $2,500 cash incentive for non-loyal customers and $4,000 for loyal customers.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi mjr2u. BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 535i with 12,000 miles per year are .00240 and 60%, respectively for loyal customers or new ones who pay a security deposit at lease signing. It appears as though the dealer that you are working with is attempting to mark your car's factor up to bake additional back-end profit into your deal. See if you can get the dealer to use the buy rate to calculate your car's payment.

Car_man
    Host
    Hello l0m6905. BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 535i with 12,000 miles per year are .00240 and 60%, respectively for loyal customers or new ones who pay a security deposit at lease signing.

It appears as though the dealer that you are working with is attempting to mark your car's factor up to bake additional back-end profit into your deal. See if you can get the dealer to use the buy rate to calculate your car's payment.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi baluk. The money factor that you were quoted for this car is right in line with BMW FS' current buy rate for it. That is a good sign because it means that the dealer that you are working with is not attempting to mark your factor up to add hidden profit to your deal, like BMW dealers often do.

If you are really getting this car for $100 over dealer invoice minus the $2,500 cash incentive that is currently available on it. You can double check to make sure that you are really getting this car for that price by looking up its dealer invoice price over in the New Vehicle Pricing section of Edmunds.com.

Car_man
    Host
    Hey freezedog. BMW's November lease program is scheduled to run through January 4th. While it reserves the right to make unscheduled changes to its lease program, I doubt that it will.

Car_man
    Host
This discussion has been closed.