Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Lease Questions

Comments

• bruno1985bruno1985 Member Posts: 11
    I just leased a 5 bmw M sport packar white, and i would like to paint the rims black, the question is . Do they charge you for it at the end of the lease??????
  • justplanenuttyjustplanenutty Member Posts: 1
    Hi All,

I'm new to the BMW world and new to leasing as well. I'm looking at a 2012 528xi with an MSRP of $58,547. I'm looking for advice on what I should expect (bargain for) off the MSRP and what the current residuals and money factor's are. I was told 58% for a 10,000/yr lease, but from what I read in these forums that seems about 2% too low. Any help with expected sales price, residuals and rates for a first time buyer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    -m
  • greencarleasergreencarleaser Member Posts: 3
    Mr. Car man:
    I am thinking about leasing a BMW 535 for my husband. MSRP is 53,000. I know that 36 month leases are considered a wiser choice, but I am curious if there could be a big enough reduction in monthly cost at 48 months. Looking at 10k miles per year. Your knowledge would be valued!
    Thanks,
  • benzpassionbenzpassion Member Posts: 8
    Could I please get the current 15k buy rate money factor and residual for a 2012 550i xDrive and 535i xDrive Rates.

Thanks.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Oh, sorry about the confusion, Macdad. BMW Financial Services' January buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2011 550i GT with 12,000 miles per year are .00195 and 41%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

That's right, 41. Ouch. If you really want to lease, you're much better off going with a 2012 model.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Greetings ap75. BMW Financial Services' January buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 535i xDrive Sedan with 12,000 miles per year are .00185 and 58%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

Don't worry about not being a loyal customer, the loyalty program went away anyhow.

You definitely want to put as little money down as possible when leasing. Consumers who make large down payments on leased vehicles risk losing part or all of the money that they put down if their vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen and never recovered.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi justplanenutty. According to the latest information that I have seen, if you were to lease a 2012 BMW 528i xDrive Sedan through BMW Financial Services right now for 36-months with 10,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value would be .00190 and 62%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi greencarleaser. You're getting your husband a 5-Series? Too bad you're already taken ;).

For some reason, the way BMW's lease program is structured right now it appears as though a 36-month lease would actually be cheaper than a 42- or 48-month lease of this car.

Car_man
    Host
  • gti329gti329 Member Posts: 8
    Hey Rocky725,

I'm looking to pull the trigger on a similar vehicle and i'm in NY. Can you email me the name of the dealer you used? gti329@gmail.com

Thanks,
    XOGRADY
    Hi benzpassion. BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 550i xDrive Sedan with 15,000 miles per year are .00190 and 56%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a '12 535i xDrive are .00185 and 56%.

Car_man
    Host
  • mackengrmackengr Member Posts: 2
    Wife works for dealership for many years, but have never purchased BMW. We have always received dealer cost with no doc fees, prep fees, etc., but this deal feels different. Worked on deal today for 2011 528i which was used as a service loaner. Car has 9200 miles and offered to me at $38,700, MF of .00205, acquisition fee of $725, and a residual of 46%. The MSRP is $48,775. The taxes are $3,340.77, which I do not understand how they are so high when the state rate is 6%. The final payment is $659.56. Deal is to be finalized Monday so any help is appreciated.
  • sas12sas12 Member Posts: 3
    A couple of suggestions and facts.
    1. Ask them to eliminate or lower the Acquisition fee.
    2. Does the residual value include the $2760(reduction in RV because car has 9200 miles on it) which is deducted from the RV to calculate the real RV.? Existing miles are deducted from the RV at .30 cents per mile.
    3. In most states the taxes on leased auto are levied and collected on the monthly payment each month. It is unusual to collect a sales tax upfront on leased vehicle. Sounds like a cap cost reduction.
    4. THE MF on this car should be .00195.
  • mackengrmackengr Member Posts: 2
    1. I was not aware the Acquisition fee was a negotiable fee. I was under the impression the fee was set by BMW and was not negotiable. Is this an incorrect assumption?
    2. When you say "Does the RV include the $2760.." are you implying the 46% could already have that $2760 included, therefore reducing from "x" to the now 46%?
    3. The sales tax on leases should be captured on the monthly lease payment correct? If your tax rate is 6% and your lease payment is $500 per month then your final payment would be $500 + $30 (tax) = $530.
    4. The Money Factor will depend on your credit rating I believe. If my credit score is near 800 then I should receive the best MF??

Thank you for your assistance.
  • iamgarygnuiamgarygnu Member Posts: 41
    Hi All,
    This is my first post after a long time lurking. I am ¡§this close¡¨ (fingers really close) to pulling the trigger on my first Bimmer. I¡¦ve targeted the 528i xdrive pretty much loaded to the hilt. I¡¦m in New Jersey, and the salesman mentioned in January that the programs right now are disappointing and to wait until around February 3 or so. My current lease (quasi economy car) is up mid-May, so I figure I¡¦m on target, or can even wait until very early March to order my new creampuff.
    By my calculations, with the residual, etc. each thousand dollars of options should cost APPROXIMATELY $13 or so per month. I¡¦ve been struggling with whether to get the heads up display (I decided to go for it) and MAYBE the night vision (sure, toys, but once you¡¦re in for $60k for a car, what¡¦s another $4k?)
    Is my math essentially correct, bearing in mind it depends on credit and money factor? While at it, any opinions on what options to just plain not get?
    Many thanks ¡V I have not seriously looked at the Benz, and although most of the reviews I¡¦ve read seem to like the Audi A6 more than the BMW, well, it still is a BMW ƒº
    Thanks again!
  • comer98comer98 Member Posts: 23
    Hey Car_man,

Looking to confirm February lease rates for the 2012 528i xDrvie. Looking at 3 years, 10,000 miles. I appreciate it! :)
    Hi mackengr. Banks' acquisition fees are not negotiable. The dealer will not be able to waive BMW FS' $795 acquisition fee. I suppose that you could ask the dealer to discount the car more to make up for the fee, but if you are already getting a good deal then that likely would not be possible.

Car_man
    Host
    Hey comer98. BMW Financial Services' February buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 528i xDrive Sedan with 10,000 miles per year are .00190 and 62%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

Car_man
    Host
  • tlb5tlb5 Member Posts: 44
    Car_man,

I'm looking to lease a 535i xDrive in the NJ area.

The MSRP is $61,895 and the invoice is $56,955.

I was looking on CR and it says there's a $500 regional advertising fee and a $1260 holdback. Since the regional ad fee is manufacturer enforced i guess it's fair to include?

So that takes me to $56,955 + $500 - $1260 = $56,195 as the floor zero profit point and means i'd be pushing for something in the neighborhood of $56,695 as the purchase price.

is that reasonable or too aggressive in your opinion?

thanks in advance for the help!!
  • chadmandelchadmandel Member Posts: 11
    Can I please have the figures for a 528 with 15K miles, 36 months? Thanks.
  • macdadmacdad Member Posts: 75
    A local dealer has a 2011 550 GT still on their lot. Does BMW still offer lease support for 2011 550 GT? If so how does it compare to lease for 2012 550 GT. Both 12K miles and 36 months.
    Car has MSRP of $69,225 and advertised on their website selling price $61,222. Do you think there is more room to move? I believe this is under invoice.

Thanks,

macdad
  • shub5shub5 Member Posts: 1
    I just sold my A5 and I am gonna start shopping for a lease on a 535xi with the following options:
    M Package
    Cold Weather (I live in Ohio)
    Premium Package
    Premium Sound
    Luxury Seating
    Technology Package
    Bmw Apps

Im thinking msrp is gonna be around 70-72k. How much should I expect the dealer to take off and what kind of lease price would I be looking at with Zero down? Any kind of help or advice is much appreciated!!
    Hi All,
    My prior request for lease suggestions and options went flat - I hope some kind soul responds to this one.
    I saw the promotions that ended January 3. My dealer thought the deals for the rest of January were lousy, and expected better ones February 3 - didn't happen. I since read that January sales actually hit records - so I guess no need for incentives then.
    It's getting close to the time for me to order - if the incentives don't get better I may go for a Benz or even a CPO - does anyone have any predictions on whether March (or even April) would have better incentives? All in the MSRP on what I'm looking at, which is almost fully loaded, is about $67k before tax - any idea of what kind of numbers for a 528i xdrive with 10k miles/year, New Jersey? Many thanks!!!!!
  • asteinbergasteinberg Member Posts: 138
    In same boat with X5. Don't feel like paying thousands more in lease payments because money factor raised and promotions disappeared. Same vehicle. Weife can't find Mercees SUV w/xenon.
    She had Lexus, had got another one, but it had toxic leaks in cabin. Cabin integity compromised, and wife and son got ill ue to some sort of fumes after car drove long distance, then went uphill. Dealer woudl not replicate. Lexus would not resolve situation, so we lost $5000 to give car backand now have to pursue it thorugh government bodies and civil litigation
  • macdadmacdad Member Posts: 75
    What are February MF/R for 2012 535GT - 36K miles and 36 months please.

Thank you,
    macdad
    Hi Car_man, and any who will answer,
    last night, central new jersey, i was quoted on a 528i xdrive 10k miles, with the 62% residual Car_man indicated - however before running credit, etc. was told the mf was .00195 (versus Car_man's posted .00190) - is something amiss? i just spoke with the sales manager and he claims it is only on certain models.
    also, can you advise what the credit tier cut offs are and how they affect the mf? i saw a tier someplace on the net, but it seemed to be a bit older.
    lastly, i was quoted roughly 700 over invoice, which was just a tad above Edmund's true value pricing, but MUCH lower than Consumer Reports' target price. any advice greatly appreciated!!!!!!
  • tlb5tlb5 Member Posts: 44
    I'm replying to my own message to share the results - i had to move forward with the purchase due to timing. i was actually technically helping my dad make the purchase in NJ - here's the deal he ended up with:

The car is a space gray metallic 535i xdrive with cold weather, premium, tech, sat radio 1 yr

MSRP = $61,895
    Invoice = $57,455

Original quote was $59,000 plus $398 doc fee
    Got it for $57,500 including doc fee, which was paid upfront so cap cost was $57,102.

Besides the doc, paid all taxes/fees and 1st month upfront plus the $795 acquisition. Came out to about $3800 based on the way NJ does their taxes/registration on leases (new to me, i'm in CA).

With the tier 1 lease terms for 36/12k (thanks Car_man!) it came out to $759/month (although my calculation says it should've been $761 - oh well!)

Bottom line was $57,500 with doc so I was pretty pleased considering BMW isn't offering any incentives right now.
  • torteztortez Member Posts: 11
    Carman, I'm looking for all lease info on a 535, 10k, 36mo

Can I please get money factor, residual and any incentives being offered.

Thank you
  • cntv121cntv121 Member Posts: 7
    Hi Car Man

Can you please give me the money factor and residual for 528i for 10, 12, & 15K miles. Also do you have any information on a 1525.00 dealer contribution that I see on the incentives page. How does this work?

Thanks.
    hi car_man,
    looks like the lease rates changed in march from what i can see on BMW's lease offers - can you advise the MF and residual for a 528i xdrive, 10k miles/year?
    my car is being produced now, but the dealership claims i'll get the advantage of the best deal before delivery.
    many thanks!
  • jasonmdbmwjasonmdbmw Member Posts: 117
    edited March 2012
    I believe it should be 1500 and is only available if you lease/finance through BMWFS. It also can only be used on vehicles delivered up until April 2nd and cannot be locked in
  • zoombie99zoombie99 Member Posts: 320
    Car_man

I wonder if you can help me. I need the residual and mf on a tier 1 for a 535x @ 15k. Stupid question. Would I be better off leasing it at 10k for a higher residual and then paying BMW the .15 excess after my lease starts?
    BMW 2019 540x Bluestone
    BMW 2019 Glacier Silver X3 30i being built to replace a 2017 X3 (wife's)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    You can do the math... 36 month 15K/yr lease has a 3% lower residual than a 10K/yr lease...

Assume a $60K car, you'll pay $1800 (actually a little less) for the extra 15,000 miles, or $0.12 per mile...

In almost every case, you are better off taking the higher allowance, if you know you will use those miles..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• wnfakndwnfaknd Member Posts: 1
    Looking for the MF and residual for 24 and 36 month lease with 15K miles on the 535i and 528i for March.

Thanks! :)
    Hi tlb5. While one never knows what a dealer will go for, the price that you mentioned seems a little aggressive to me. If I was in the market for this car right now, I personally would shoot for a selling price of around $500 over the dealer invoice price that is listed here at Edmunds.com.

Car_man
    Host
    You certainly may chadmandel. BMW Financial Services' March buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 528i Sedan with 15,000 miles per year are .00195 and 62%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi macdad. Unfortunately, I don't believe that BMW is leasing 2011 5-Series models through BMW FS any longer.

The selling price that you mentioned looks pretty good to me, but since it is their starting point you might as well shoot for something lower and see what happens.

Car_man
    Host
    Hey macdad. BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 535 GT with 12,000 miles per year are .00195 and 61%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

Car_man
    Host
    Hello iamgarygnu. $700 over dealer invoice is a pretty good selling price for this car. I'm pretty sure that this car's buy rate lease money factor is .00190, but I don't see why the dealer would even bother trying to mark it up by .00005. Perhaps they were confused.

I don't know what the cut off for BMW FS' top money factors is off of the top of my head, but I recall it being fairly lenient, not the old General Motors anyone with a pulse lenient, but still not bad.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi tortez. BMW Financial Services' March buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 535i with 10,000 miles per year are .00185 and 59%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

BMW is currently providing a $1,500 cash incentive on leases of this car.

Car_man
    Host
    Here's the information that you're looking for, cntv121.

BMW Financial Services' March buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 528i Sedan with 15,000 miles per year are .00190 and 58%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

BMW's 12,000 mile per year residual value would be 2% higher and its 10,000 mile per year residual value would be 3% higher.

The $1,525 dealer contribution that you saw mentioned just means that is how much the dealer has to discount the vehicle by to arrive at BMW's officially advertised payment for this car.

When negotiating your deal, make sure to take the $1,500 cash incentive that BMW is currently providing on leases of this car into account in addition to a dealer discount.

Car_man
    Host
    edited March 2012
    Hey iamgarygnu. BMW Financial Services' March buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 528i xDrive with 10,000 miles per year are .00190 and 62%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

Make sure to take the $1,500 cash incentive that BMW is currently providing on leases of this car into account.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi zoombie99. That's not a stupid questions at all. I agree with kyfdx, if you're going to use the miles just go with the higher allowance.

BMW Financial Services' March buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 535i xDrive with 15,000 miles per year are .00185 and 56%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

Car_man
    Host
    edited March 2012
    Here you go wnfaknd. BMW Financial Services' March buy rate lease money factor and residual value or a 24-month lease of a 2012 528i with 15,000 miles per year are .00190 and 64%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

The numbers for an otherwise identical 36-month lease are .00190 and 58%.

The numbers for a '12 535i are .00185 / 62% and .00185 / 56%.

Oh yeah, there'a a $1,500 cash incentive on leases of these cars this month.

Car_man
    Host
  • poykayilpoykayil Member Posts: 9
    Hey Car_man

Are the numbers the same on the 2012 535xi at 36 month and 12k?
    Would you know if what they are for the 550xi as well?
  • bobby29ocbobby29oc Member Posts: 3
    Dear Car_man
    Thanks to this forum and all your help, I recently leased a 2012 528i from Andrew Einhorn at Irvine BMW. With the information you provided about Money Factors, Residuals, Fees, and Invoice Pricing I was able to shop all the local dealers and negotiate the best price. The next time I consider leasing or buying a new car I will definitely visit your page again, and I would highly recommend this site and Andrew to anyone who is looking to get into a new BMW. Thanks again for all of your help!
    Thank You,
    Bobby
  • socal59socal59 Member Posts: 82
    @bobby29oc, can you share the numbers? msrp, price paid, monthly payments etc etc?
  • comohombrecomohombre Member Posts: 27
    Hey Car_man

I was quoted a money factor of .00235 and 61% on a 528i 10K 36-month lease. Why the huge difference in money factor? Is the .00190 based on the state or is it nation wide.
  • bderushbderush Member Posts: 24
    This is due to the dealer marking up the money factor to pad their profit on the deal. The money factor is set by Bmw Financial and is nationwide.
  • dmason12dmason12 Member Posts: 16
    Getting a 2012 535i in jet black/cinnamon brown with Prem, Sport, Nav, etc. w/ MSRP of $62045 at INVOICE (plus MACO and training fee ($500-$600 total)). 36 months, 10K miles per year with MF of 0.00185 and residual of 59%. With $2000 cap reduction plus the $1500 BMW lease cash, pmt is right at $700/mo including CA sales tax. BMW is also covering the last 2 pmts on my 2009 535i lease which expires mid May. Could I have done better?
  • tennisgal_cotennisgal_co Member Posts: 4
    $700/month is a great deal! Who is your salesperson? Do you mind sharing a contact info? Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.