Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Lease Questions

Comments

• deenxdeenx Member Posts: 125
    Do you have have a dealership you would recommend?
  • zoombie99zoombie99 Member Posts: 320
    I would look for the dealers with the largest inventory on the 5 series. The BMW in Spring Valley NY has tons of five series. I would try them and it you buy by the end of the month, you should try to get it at invoice or less. Don't foget you get a 1,500.00 option credit and you may be entitled to get another 1,500.00 if you are a current BMW owner. If you don't get it by the end of this month, take a Drive to Team USA event in late June, you will get an additional 1,000.00. Off. Don't forget the other offers if you qualify, USAA, CCA.

If you are getting the tire insurance, make sure you get a good price on that also, there is wiggle room and you may be able to pick it up from another dealer.
    BMW 2019 540x Bluestone
    BMW 2019 Glacier Silver X3 30i being built to replace a 2017 X3 (wife's)
  • zoombie99zoombie99 Member Posts: 320
    I can't seem to be able to edit it. :cry::cry::cry:
    BMW 2019 540x Bluestone
    BMW 2019 Glacier Silver X3 30i being built to replace a 2017 X3 (wife's)
  • pdawkpdawk Member Posts: 1
    Does BMW allow 18k miles on leases and if so what is the MF and residual value?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    The extra mileage is used to lower the residual of the standard 15K/yr lease, at the rate of $0.15/mile.

So, a 36 month, 18K/yr lease would have a residual that is $1350 lower than a 15K/yr lease.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• bpolebpole Member Posts: 2
    Hi Everyone,

I'm currently getting out of a 528i lease in 6 weeks and my local SouthBay BMW (Los Angeles) dealership is quoting me the following and saying I should take the deal by end of May (otherwise incentives may go away).

I'd appreciate if you guys can give me comments on this. I'm trying to verify the MF/Residuals/incentives are all correct:

535i Sedan (Silver Color)
    Sports Package, Technology Package, Premium Package, Sprots Automatic Paddles ($500)
    MSRP: $61,625
    Invoice : $56,700
    However, they added $380 Maco, $200 Training/Service Fee, and $231 "Dealer Prep & PDI Fee" so actual Invoice is $57, 510.

They subtracted $1500 loyalty rebate and current $1500 option allowance so I'm about $55,570 adjusted capital cost.

36 month / 12,000 mile lease:
    Residual : 58%
    MF: 0.00185

$1,352 Drive off (1st month & dmv fees + $135 tax on the $1500 rebate)
    $721/month
    $785 (including taxes)

I have a few questions:
    1) Is 0.00185 MF correct ? (i heard that owner loyalty may be lower)
    2) is 58% residual correct ?
    3) should they add MAco/Service fees and this $231 dealer prep fee ?

Any comments appreciated !
  • bpolebpole Member Posts: 2
    Hi Everyone,

I'm currently getting out of a 528i lease in 6 weeks and my local SouthBay BMW (Los Angeles) dealership is quoting me the following and saying I should take the deal by end of May (otherwise incentives may go away).

I'd appreciate if you guys can give me comments on this. I'm trying to verify the MF/Residuals/incentives are all correct:

535i Sedan (Silver Color)
    Sports Package, Technology Package, Premium Package, Sprots Automatic Paddles ($500)
    MSRP: $61,625
    Invoice : $56,700
    However, they added $380 Maco, $200 Training/Service Fee, and $231 "Dealer Prep & PDI Fee" so actual Invoice is $57, 510.

They subtracted $1500 loyalty rebate and current $1500 option allowance so I'm about $55,570 adjusted capital cost.

36 month / 12,000 mile lease:
    Residual : 58%
    MF: 0.00185

$1,352 Drive off (1st month & dmv fees + $135 tax on the $1500 rebate)
    $721/month
    $785 (including taxes)

I have a few questions:

Any comments appreciated !
  • kanchiskanchis Member Posts: 33
    edited June 2012
    I think its a fair deal and nothing seems to be alarming.

I have a few questions:
    Yes this is correct

Yes correct. 36 month is 56% and you add 2% for 12k and 3% for 10k if you were ever curious about residuals for lower mile tiers.

Yes, Maco is charged on every car and you cant get out of it. Its a legitimate charge. Prep fees are ok too. Here in GA any BMW dealership charges $600 as dealer fees and I think ur lucky to not get charged like we do :)

The lease numbers do add correctly and I think its a good deal. Go get it! Congratulations on your new 5 series.
  • onezeroonezero Member Posts: 5
    2012 535xi

Invoice 61k

2500 down, 600 a month (Including Tax)
    36 months 10k miles per year

It sure seems like a good deal....
  • chidogzchidogz Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2012
    I like this deal a lot. I am looking for something similar. If you do not mind me asking what dealership and what does the BMW come with Onezero?
  • bmwpbmwp Member Posts: 1
    Gang, can you please let me know if the Edmunds $1500 Customer Credit is still available to register and redeem?

Thanks for your help.
  • kanchiskanchis Member Posts: 33
    Its gone now. sorry. :cry:
    sport pack, those crazy adjustable seats, and heated seats I think.

I'll give the place, once I decide to do the deal (or not)

So far this deal has beat Audi and Benz. I personally like the 5, but they do depreciate like a President starting war in the Middle East...
  • ihitcowsihitcows Member Posts: 74
    Hiya. In May, the MF was 0.00185. If you qualify for Loyalty, then you can either lower that rate buy 0.0003 (making it 0.00145), OR you can choose to use a cap reduction (which is taxed in most states) of $1,500.

This month, according to my dealer, the top tier buy rate for the 528i at 36 months is 0.00175. According to both my dealer and the BMWUSA website (helped by a handy calculator, the 10k residual is now 61%, which would make the 12k residual 60%.

Also, if the tax is the same at South Bay as it is here in L.A., then the tax your dealer is quoting you in the rebate, "$135," should be $131.25.

The training service fee is legit, but, in California, a Document Fee, or "Dealer Prep" fee, cannot legally exceed $55. Yeah.

Rock and Roll.
    edited June 2012
    Loooong story short:

I'm pretty confident that BMWFS's June residual percentage for a 2012 BMW 535i at 12k per year is 58%, but I'm a little confused on the money factor. Methinks it's about .00175.

Save me, Car_man, save me!

Oh! Also, how does this alleged $1,500 option allowance work? Can in it work in tandem with the loyalty rebate? How many car salesmen does it take to screw in a light bulb?
    . . . most seemingly, so long as they haven't TOLD ME they will screw in the light bulb, I see no reason why any one able car salesperson couldn't do it.*

*Tax not included.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hey ihitcows. BMW FS' June buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 535i are .00185 and 58%, respectively. The $1,500 dealer cash and $1,500 owner loyalty cash can indeed be combined.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • tlb5tlb5 Member Posts: 44
    nystar - i apologize but after about 2 weeks checking for updates i stopped looking (as i tend to do) until the next 36 month turn. if i can still help in any way let me know - i'll check for a couple days. i THINK my dad got the car in morristown but i'm happy to check for sure. looks like some good incentives came afterwards in any event.
  • jimmybadlandsjimmybadlands Member Posts: 6
    Car man what payment should i be looking for on a 535 , 36 month lease , i live in Charlotte .. Thank You
    Firstly, much thanks to you, Car_man, for your help.

Now:
    I am under the impression that the $1,500 "Option Allowance" being offered on the 5-series applies "against the MSRP of the final purchase, loan or lease."

If this is the case, then my question is:
    If I am leasing, then in what instance would I EVER want to use the "Option Allowance"?
    The answer becomes even more seemingly obvious if I have already worked out a selling price!

Whatever the selling price is, I always want a HIGHER MSRP for a higher residual. Lowering the MSRP after (or possibly before) I've gotten a selling price would do nothing but raise my monthly payment!

Lastly, even though it's termed an "Option Allowance" on the BMW web site, Car_man referred to it as "Dealer Cash" in his previous post in this thread. Does that mean I can use it against selling price at all?

Again, sorry for my long-winded, utterly specific questions. And thanks for help!
  • jasonmdbmwjasonmdbmw Member Posts: 117
    The $1500 "Option Allowance" is used to help gain a lower selling price on the vehicle and is the same thing as "Dealer Cash" as Car_Man previously referred to it as. It does not lower the MSRP
  • techstechs Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone give me an idea of a fair deal on a 550i Sedan with below options:

2012 MY 550i
    M-Sport
    Conv. Package
    Auto with Paddles
    Heated Seats

MSRP: $69,395
    12K Miles
    $0 out of pocket
    36 Months

Thanks everyone.
    Thanks, man. I was a little confused. :confuse:
    Try using edmund's TMV calculator for a fair starting place.
    Edmund's True Market Value will vary according to where you are in the country. Invoice should be the same, though, at $63,870.

Here's what it is assuming you have top tier credit and using the TMV for around here, but BEFORE TAX and not including license, registration, or document fee cuz I don't know where you are :) (using the rate and residual I got from another site; not entirely certain about them, but they should be close)

MSRP: $69,395, Selling Price: $65,300
    Acquisition: $725, First Month's Payment Rolled in: $919.99, CAP: $67,014.99
    Money Factor: 0.00190, Residual: 58%
    Monthly Payment Before Tax: $947.30
  • jsmdukejsmduke Member Posts: 4
    Can anyone tell me what the current BMWFS money factor is for a 2012 550i Xdrive GT? (Top tier credit and loyal bmw customer) Also, what is the current residual percentage for a 36 month lease with 10k or 12k? Thanks!
  • el_duderino_el_duderino_ Member Posts: 6
    I was quoted a money factor of .0225 and Residual of 56% for a 2012 535i 36mo/15k lease. Why such a high MF?

Also, the dealer only offered $5k below MSRP ($1k over invoice), which I don't feel was too great of a deal, especially with the '13's around the corner.

What do you think will change once the 2013's hit the lot?
    Hi jimmybadlands. I would be happy to use BMW's current lease program to work up a payment on the exact car that you are interested in for you. Just let me know what its MSRP and dealer invoice price are. You can find these numbers over in the New Vehicle Pricing section of Edmunds.com.

Car_man
    Host
    Certainly jsmduke. Through July 9th, BMW Financial Services' buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 550i xDrive Gran Turismo with 12,000 miles per year are .00190 and 62%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

The residual value for a lease with only 10,000 miles per year would be 1% higher.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi el_duderino_. The money factor that you were quoted is definitely high. If your credit is in good shape, it looks as though the dealer that you spoke with is attempting to mark your car's factor up to add additional back-end profit to your deal. This sort of thing is fairly common at BMW dealers. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't try to avoid it. Try to get the dealer to use BMW FS' current buy rate of .00185 to calculate your car's payment.

Given the fact that BMW is currently providing a $1,500 cash incentive on this car, a selling price of $1,000 over dealer invoice does not look that great to me. Unless the dealer is subtracting the option allowance from that, you'e really at around $2,500 or so over.

This dealer doesn't seem that great to me. Have you tried shopping around any? It might not be a bad idea to comparison shop with another dealer or two in your area if there is any.

Car_man
    Host
    Thanks Car_Man. You confirmed my suspicions. Unfortunately, I live in a one dealership town (Austin) but the dealerships in neighboring cities seem to be much more willing to deal and upfront about things.

I have received a price from a dealership in Houston that is about $2k under invoice and this has all been done online, so much more pleasurable experience.

I haven't discussed leases with them yet, but wonder if that can all be handled via email as well. It would be great to just have to sign paperwork and pick up the vehicle.
    Also, I realize this is a lease forum, but what is the thought on lease vs finance on these vehicles? The monthly payment is very close between a 36mo/15k lease and a 60 month finance.
    So, I finally went with a 528xi

Msrp 51k

1k down and $500 a month

I could buy an ~09 with ~30k miles or lease a new one. I decided to lease.
    I'm no financial wiz, but if you buy new you gotta somehow deal with the massive depreciation. I like the concept of paying for what I use, versus ownership.
  • slickbond007slickbond007 Member Posts: 18
    Looks like a good deal. Can you provide more details pls? MSRP, Selling price, Incentives?, Money factor, miles, residual, msds?,
    Do people still do multiple security deposits?

Looking to lease a new 528i. Thanks for all the info.
    edited July 2012
    10k miles at 36 month. Black on black with sat and heated seats, msrp of 51950. 500 (include tax) a month , 1k down and first payment.

I was not really not impressed with the factory options, except for comfort seats and parking system. Was not worth 1200 a year for extra stuff in my case.
    Thanks. Congrats for the new car! What sale price did you end up getting it for and what state did you purchase this in? Trying to see if I can negotiate a similar deal with my dealer(s). I am in CA.
    You're welcome el_duderino_. I think that you were smart to shop around. Good luck with the Houston dealership. Make sure to let us know how everything turns out.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi Carman,

Any updates on the current (July) incentives/rebates and lease rates for 2012 528i? Thanks.
    Certainly slickbond007. BMW Financial Services' July buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 528i with 15,000 miles per year are .00145 and 55%, respectively.

This month there is $1,500 dealer cash and $750 loyalty cash on leases of this car.

Car_man
    Host
  • gdog75gdog75 Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2012
    I'm in the market for a 36 month 12k/yr lease of a 528i xdrive in New York/New Jersey. I found one with the following:

- Technology Package
    - Cold Weather Package
    - Premium Package
    - tire insurance
    - Dark Graphite Metallic with Oyster / Black Dakota interior / Dark Wood Trim

We were quoted $691 without security deposits and were quoted $649 with 7 security deposits.

The salesman said the money factor is .00145 and residual is 58%.

How would you rate this deal? Thanks!
  • evahnulahmevahnulahm Member Posts: 19
    Hello Carman,

Can you give me the MF and residual for a 2012 535i GT for 36 months/12K per year.

Thanks
    Thanks Car_man !!
  • bmw_nepabmw_nepa Member Posts: 2
    Hello! Looking for the money factor and residual on a 2012 535x-drive, 10k miles/year, 780 credit score...I'm in PA.

Also, with the $2500 Option Allowance, should that be money I subtract when negotiating the final sales price? i.e. if I negotiate $1000 over invoice, should I then subtract the $2500 and be paying $1500 under invoice for the car? Sorry, these programs throw me for a loop!
  • ckrelingckreling Member Posts: 23
    Hello

What are July incentives for 528i 2012 model

And what are buy rate MF and Residual for 24Mos and 36Mos 10K / year ?

Thanks

Charles
  • pacdecimalpacdecimal Member Posts: 39
    Correct me if I am wrong.

1. $1,500.00 option/dealer discount
    2. $750.00 loyalty discount.
    3. $500.00 current BMW owners downloading ultimate drive app voucher.

I also got a quote for 2012 528i (white), with premium, navigation and heated seats fro $48,600.00, which compared to what others were getting seemed slightly higher.
  • eagajanyaneagajanyan Member Posts: 12
    Would you please verify this deal. Is it 528xi with msrp at 51K with 1K out of pocket expense and 500$ including taxes lease payment. thank you.
    That sounds like a great deal - I'll take one :)
    Could we get all the particulars of your deal

Resid/MF/Inv Price vs Cap Cost

Was it 1K down plus additional drive-off or just 1K out the door ?

This would really help me out - thanks !
    Hi gdog75. The money factor and residual value that you were quoted look good. What are this vehicle's MSRP and selling price?

Car_man
    Host
    Hello evahnulahm. BMW Financial Services' July buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 535i GT with 12,000 miles per year are .00145 and 58%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

Car_man
    Host
    You're very welcome slickbond007.

Car_man
    Host
This discussion has been closed.