Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW X5 Lease Questions

Comments

• CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi raksgal. BMW Financial Services' March buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 X5 Diesel with 15,000 miles per year are .00205 and 53%, respectively.

This factor would be .00030 lower for loyal customers. The residual value would be 2% higher for a lease with only 12,000 miles per year.

When negotiating your lease, make sure to find out what selling price the dealer is charging you for the truck that you're interested in. the selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. Without this number it is difficult to tell how large a dealer discount you are being given and in turn if there is any room left to negotiate.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Hi bmwpower2010. BMW Financial Services' March buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2012 X5 35i Sport Activity with 15,000 miles per year are .00200 and 58%, respectively.

This factor is lowered by .00030 for loyal customers.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi rseale1. BMW Financial Services' March buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 X5 35i Premium with 12,000 miles per year are .00185 and 59%, respectively.

The numbers for the base model are .00200 and 56%.

These money factors are .00030 lower for loyal customers.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi mannydom. The answer to your question is yes...and no. Vehicles' residual values are essentially set in stone and are not negotiable.

Banks set vehicles' buy rate lease money factors. This is the lowest rate that dealers are allowed to charge on vehicles. Dealers are however often allowed to mark vehicles' money factors up to add additional hidden profit to deals. BMW dealers are notorious for doing this. That is why it is important to always find out what your vehicle's buy rate is before leasing it.

Car_man
    Host
    I'd be happy to work up a payment for you, raksgal. However in order for me to do so I need you to provide me this vehicle's MSRP as well.

Car_man
    Host
  • raksgalraksgal Member Posts: 18
    edited March 2011
    Car_man,

For 2011 BMW X5 Diesel with the following specs:

36m/12K Miles
    MSRP: $62,000
    BEST Selling Price: $55,600 ...I am targeting $54,000

Tech package, Premium package, Ipod USB adapter, Heated front seats, Running boards, 3rd row seat and Roof rails

Vermilion Red metallic with Beige Interior and Dark Burl walnut wood trim

Can you please help me with the BEST (most econmical) quote I should be aiming for ?

I really appreciate your input

Thanks
  • ab10000ab10000 Member Posts: 127
    I think 54k is fair for 2011
    BMW is taking orders for 2012
    Check the deals for 2012
    For 2012, BMW included several options in the base, but also bumped up the base price by almost 4K I guess. It may or may not work. I will check that as well
    As per True Car, the recommended best price is $53,000 only.
    What is the MSRP and selling price?
    Sound like a great deal
    Which dealer is this?
    53K is the recommended best price by truecar.com.

I am waiting on feedback from Car_Man
  • lviv35lviv35 Member Posts: 5
    hi
    what would be money factor and residual value for a 36 month 10K lease for 35 premium? is there a way to get a lease with less mileage? I barely put 20K in 3 years. that's the beauty of leaving in the city...
    Car_man,

36m/12K Miles
    MSRP: $62,000
    BEST Selling Price: $55,600 ...I am targeting $54,000

Tech package, Premium package, Ipod USB adapter, Heated front seats, Running boards, 3rd row seat and Roof rails

Vermilion Red metallic with Beige Interior and Dark Burl walnut wood trim

Can you please help me with the BEST (most econmical) quote I should be aiming for ?

I really appreciate your input

Thanks
    Car_Man,

I am right now car-less. Eagerly awaiting your feedback

Thanks
  • beopersonbeoperson Member Posts: 74
    Looks like April number are exactly the same as March - got a call from a dealer today. I was hoping they would change for the better.
    Hi raksgal. This truck probably has a spread of just under $5,000 between its full MSRP and its dealer invoice price. BMW is providing a $3,500 option credit on X5 Diesel models on top of that. That's a total of $8,500 to play with during your negotiations. So theoretically the price that you are targeting is probably attainable, but it is probably slightly aggressive.

Car_man
    Host
  • jcartwrightjcartwright Member Posts: 7
    Definitely attainable, but it takes some effort and possibly even taking what they have on the lot as opposed to ordering. I bought my 2011 X5 35d at a dealer 1 hour from my home with the following options:

Platinum Grey Metallic, Black Nevada Leather
    Premium
    Convenience
    Technology
    Cold Weather
    Rear Climate
    Roof Rails, Running Boards
    IPod, Satellite

MSRP - $61,825
    Paid - $54,033 (incl eco credit)

Negotiated $61,825 down to what he claimed was his invoice of $57,533 (he showed me the computer screen with this amount next to dealer cost - however, multiple sites had the invoice a little less, Edmunds $56,775, Kelly BB $56,975, not sure about the difference, but I figured close to $8k off MSRP was pretty good).

One tip for you, I began the negotiations by using the USAA car buying service (AAA, Amex and others have something very similar, it's run by Zag). The service identified this dealer, they called me the same day I entered my requested car into the site, and there was very little back and forth after that. The USAA site showed my price at $700 over invoice ($58,065), then subtracted the Eco Credit to end up at $54,565. I ended up getting an additional $500 off of that price, probably because I was willing to take the X5 off of their lot on the last day of the month. Anyway, $54k is possible, you just have to want it! Good luck! Sorry, one more tip...use Bank of America to finance it instead of BMW Financial. BofA is offering 2.99 for 60 months or 3.49 for 72 months (my actual APR for 72 ended up at 3.67), which is still way better than the 4.9 for 72 that BMW is offering. That's it...once again, good luck and enjoy the 35d, it's AWESOME!
    which city and state you are in?
    Philadelphia, PA. However, I purchased the vehicle at Open Road BMW in Edison, NJ.
  • zoranzoran Member Posts: 69
    What are deals for 2012 diesels?
  • zoranzoran Member Posts: 69
    How about April lease and incentives for 2012 x5 diesel?
    BMW offers a $3,500 Eco Credit on the X5 35d. It's a month to month program that has been offered every month in 2011, but is currently only valid through 5/2...unless they decide to renew it again, which is pretty likely. The financing is 4.9% for 24 - 72 months, you can do better with other lenders (Bank of America for instance). All details of Eco Credit and financing available on the BMW site and on Edmunds under X5 Pricing and Incentives.
  • gcookgcook Member Posts: 33
    edited April 2011
    How do I even start? I have bought Acuras in the past and they have all the options, so I am a little confused on how to start pricing a BMW. Can anyone help? do I build it out on the bmw site, first, then where do I go from there? How do I get the invoice or where do I start? I know what the MSRP will be. Can anyone give me any tips? I definitely want some options added to the base vehicle. Any starting tips would be great. I am looking at buying in a few months, and don't care if I get a 2011 when 2012 comes out. Just need help figuring it all out.

invoice $57,385
    MSRP $62,375

Rear seat entertainment, convenience pkg, premium sound pgk, tech pkg
    Carman & Icartwright,

Thank you for your answers. Please help me with the numbers calculation:

MSRP: $61,825

Selling Price: $53,800
    Sales Tax: 8.25% for Dallas I guess
    Fees: ?? (What is this number you recommend?)

36 Month lease
    12,000 Miles a year

Residual: 55% (is this correct for April ?)
    Money factor: .00205 (is this correct for April ?)

$3,000 Due at signing = $??? a month is the correct payment ? (please include tax as well).

I will highly appreciate your feedback

Thanks
  • pacdecimalpacdecimal Member Posts: 39
    Want to end my lease (2010 528i) early for a X5 with 3rd row seat. I have 12K miles with 16 months remaining on 3yr/10K per year agreement. Is there an early termination fee for such transfer (BMW to BMW), and any suggestion on which route I should take.

Thanks.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,221
    If you have a relatively low payment, then a service like Swapalease can help you find someone to take over your current lease... then, you can go get a new one.

There really is no early termination fee or plan. If you turn your car in, they'll sell it at auction and you'll owe the difference between that number and the balance owed on your lease. That number will likely be huge. Alternatively, you could try trading it in to your BMW dealer, and paying the difference between the trade-in allowance and your lease balance. Also, likely to be a huge number.

You could get lucky, but in general, exiting a lease early is very expensive.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• sunnyvalisunnyvali Member Posts: 33
    Which dealer in Dallas quoted you the price. It is better thank I have been quoted. Please let me know. I am looking for the same.

Thanks.
    I'm not an expert on BMW lease deals, I stick to the financing side of things. I'll have to defer to Carman on this one...Good luck with your lease and new SAV!
  • mannydommannydom Member Posts: 41
    Thanks so much Car_man. What is a "vehicle's buy rate?" Are you referring to the agreed upon price of the car? What about my other question regarding having to get new license plates every time i start a new lease? Is that a gimmick? Can I demand to keep the same plates? Thanks again.

My lease ends in mid-May and I want to lease my third X5. Any predictions for 3 year 15,000 miles per year lease? Can you comment on loyalty discount?
  • pacdecimalpacdecimal Member Posts: 39
    Thanks for your info. I spoke with BMW Financial Services and basically a dealer would need to buy the car for $34,370.67, and anything less I would need to cover. Plus the new acquisition cost and other fees to lease a X5.
    Carman, can you help with my question by giving me some guidance on message 1558?

Thanks,
    glen
    Hi gcook. You can build the exact truck that you want and find out its dealer invoice price right here at Edmunds.com, over in the New Vehicle Pricing section.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi raksgal. The money factor that you were quoted is about right...I believe that BMW FS' April buy rate for this car is .00200 for non-returning and .00170 for returning customers. The residual value that you were quoted is right on the money.

Using these numbers, an MSRP of $61,825, and a selling price of $53,800, I estimate that this truck would have a zero down, pre-tax monthly payment of around $726.

Car_man
    Host
    You're welcome mannydom. The buy rate lease money factor for a vehicle is the lowest possible money factor that dealers are allowed to charge for it. The money factor on a lease is like the interest rate on a loan, the lower the better. Dealers are often allowed to mark up vehicles' money factors to add additional hidden profit to deals. BMW dealers are notorious for doing this. That's why it's important to know what your vehicle's buy rate is.

BMW's current lease program is scheduled to run through May 2nd. It's difficult to say what its program will be like after that.

If you are a current BMW owner or lessee, you are eligible for a .00030 discount on the money factor that is used to calculate your vehicle's payment.

Car_man
    Host
  • innajlinnajl Member Posts: 4
    Carman,
    can you please help me with the quote.This is my 2nd BMW X5 lease, I love it.
    So my MSRP is 55,435 per truecar

I was told by a dealer that my rate for a loyal customer is 0.00135.
    One thing I am not sure about is security deposit vs down payment.
    My friend bought x5 and put 5K for a security deposit . He will get his money back at the end of the lease. This lowered his monthly payment.
    Last time I leased I gave a down payment of $5k which also brought down my payment.
    What is the better way to go : down payment or security deposit ?

Also what would you think my price could be ? and my monthly payment ?

Thank you for your help
    Are you generally paying invoice, below invoice or above invoice? what shoudl I expect to pay. I see the car is 64k and invoice is 59K but never bought a bmw so don't know how to price it?
  • takrolimustakrolimus Member Posts: 1
    Hi. This is my first BMW purchase. I am looking at a 2011 X5 5.0 with cold weather, tech, premium, navigation, roof rack, running boards, ipod usb, sat radio.
    36 month 15000 miles per year.

Dealer quote is
    MSRP 69025
    Sale price 65500
    Trade in 17500
    sales tax 3000
    non taxable fees: 294
    tag fee 150

0 down monthly comes to 485.62

What do you think? I asked what the MF was and I think they said 0.002
  • 9squaregrid9squaregrid Member Posts: 15
    They are treating your trade as cap cost reduction. Money down is NEVER recommended on a lease. (do a search on this - lots of info on the insurance implications - basically if vehicle is stolen or totaled, you may lose some/all of your down payment.

I'd max out your MSD's (again, search) to get the money factor lower - dealer may play dumb on this, but I'm pretty sure you can do up to 7 MSD's in all states except NY - then have them cut you a check for the difference from your trade. Your payment will be higher, but you can offset that with your cash in the bank. You'll get a lower overall interest rate, plus have a nice chunk of change when your MSD's are refunded at the end of your lease.
  • nealitnealit Member Posts: 12
    edited April 2011
    I just leased my 2011 x5 35d from chapman bmw yesterday. used truecar.com as a negotiation tool and leaseguide leasing kit as a number proof assistant. My due at signning is 5k, actual capita reduction to cost is (5000-925-399-60-777)=2800 around this including tax. so it is less than 2800 as capita reduction.

Dealer quote is
    MSRP 66475
    Sale price 58150
    due at signning 5000
    acutual downpayment to capita reduction, 2800 around which including tax
    sales tax NV TAX 8.1%
    disposal fee 350
    residual 55% for 36 mos 12k
    money factor at 0.002, interest rate @4.8%
    acquistion fee: 925*
    doc fee 399*
    Tax is 8.1%
    first month payment is 777*
    AZ 3 month tem license fee: 60*
    tax on 2800

all numbers above are rounded. maybe few dollars different.
    total payment for 3 years are 32k.
    the car comes with sport activity, premium, tech, rear climate, cold weather, Y-spoke, multi-contour seat, 1 yr satellite, smartphone, ipod, running board, roofrack, etc totla msrp is 66475.
  • yelnats11yelnats11 Member Posts: 2
    interesting
  • i_was_robbedi_was_robbed Member Posts: 1
    My partner and I recently put in a lease order for a BMW, 2012 X5 35I Premium, with Technology and Convenience Package, Multi Contour Seats, Running Boards and Satelite Radio at Manhattan BMW. - The MSRP is 62K

The Terms are:
    - 36 months with 10,000 Miles a year with $4690 initial down payment (including upfront taxes)

Monthly Payment = 924.23

Were we taken for a ride - Was it a highway robbery???
  • nlezzonlezzo Member Posts: 7
    that doesnt sound to kosher I built a simmilar model online for msrp 60k and the estimated payment with 4000 down was 710 That was excluding taxes ect but you figure you should be able to negotiatie some money off of the internet estimate so i figure even with Taxes and titles 700-750 max is where it should be i think?
  • mlevinemlevine Member Posts: 581
    The X5 seems to be a very hot vehicle, very minimal showroom inventory. One is not going to get any good deals as far as I can tell. I see to much money being put down for leasing. Remember one is not buying this SUV. I would use the money to decrease the money factor, as this upfront money is returned at the end of the lease.
    what do you mean use the money to decrease the money factor? I see the same thing. Nobody has a deal cuz they say 2011 is out and 2012 is new...
  • mlevinemlevine Member Posts: 581
    I believe BMW will allow multiple security deposits to buy down the money factor on a lease. 2011 X5 35 diesels are around, but still very few. One must order 2012 X5 bases, premiums, or sports. I believe due to limited availability and also it being a popular vehicle, one is going to pay a high price for the X5.
  • beopersonbeoperson Member Posts: 74
    Numbers should be available today, does anyone know what are they for X5 35i and 35d?
    Is ecco rebate still available?
  • treydyertreydyer Member Posts: 3
    What dealer were you at in Dallas? That price is way below what I've been offered and wanted to visit them to see what they are offering.
    2011 x35d
    Sport Activity Package
    Cold Weather Package
    Premium Package
    Rear Climate Package
    Technology Package
    Comfort Access
    Running Boards
    20" Wheel
    Roof Raiks
    Satellite Radio
    iPod

Destination Charge 875

MSRP 65,975
    Sell Price 61,975 (I'm working on getting this lower as all it is is eco+ $500)

10,000 Miles per year

$3000 down is $1027 per month.

They would not tell me the money factor or the residual. Do the dealers have the ability to increase these above or below BMW financial????

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Does anyone know if the buy rate and risiduals moved from April to May or if there is an increased incentive for the 35d? I know they came out yesterday or today and likely it is not known yet, but I have a short fuse to buy a car (some vandal went ballistic on mine and the insurance company has given me 7 days). Any help would be appreciated.
    Hi innajl. You're much better off going with additional security deposits over a capitalized cost reduction. Both provide lower monthly payments, but you actually get the security deposit back at lease-end and the cap cost reduction is just gone.

I would be happy to work up a sample lease payment on this truck for you, but in order for me to do so I need you to provide me with its approximate selling price, or at least its dealer invoice price first. Let me know and I'll crunch some numbers for you.

Car_man
    Host
This discussion has been closed.