Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Cadillac CTS Lease Questions

Comments

• gator5000egator5000e Member Posts: 90
    I would be surprised if you got any type of favorable lease deal on a CTS. The two dealerships I have been dealing with have both been consistent in telling me that GMAC is not offering any type of a decent lease deal. I think jacalyker either got lucky or the dealership went through private financing. Please let us know. I had asked her earlier about this but I do not believe she ever responded - probably happy with her deal and doesn't come to the boards anymore.

I have a great deal offered on a 2009 CTS but I would have to finance it and I am concerned about GM's future status, the value that whatever happens to them may have on the car and the overall stability of the dealership network in the future.
    Car_Man, or anyone else, I have what I feel is a pretty good offer on a CTS that is being leased through US Bank. I am being quoted a Money Factor of .00275. A competing dealer told me MF or .00266. Not a huge difference, but how do I find out what the actual US Bank MF is? Does anyone here know it? Thanks for any information.
  • topgun7topgun7 Member Posts: 412
    " I have what I feel is a pretty good offer on a CTS that is being leased through US Bank."

I assume that you do not get the lease directly from US bank (otherwise you would not ask what their true rate is...). I know leasecompare.com has a lease term that they are willing to provide for individual model. May be that will give you another data point of what the market offer from 3rd party lease. I think all you can do is to have mulitple offers and see what is the best monthly payment for you...
    Thanks, topgun. I have a US Bank Dealer lease calculation worksheet. it has the MF typed in so someone at the dealership typed it in. I just want to know that the dealership is not jacking up the MF - I have searched everywhere on the net for a place that tells me current lease rates. Nothing, nada. I can only assume it may be ok to compare the current bank MFs to auto loan rates. Most of them are in the 6.5% area so I guess teh lezse rate isn't totally awful.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    Since you can't get a lease directly from USBank, then you aren't ever going to know the buy rate. Unlike a captive financing company, USBank might have different rates for different dealers, depending on the amount of business.

If you go to leasecompare.com, you can get some idea of residuals and money factors that they are offering through their banking partners... but, you'll never know the markup on an independent bank lease.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• jls80jls80 Member Posts: 1
    Vehicle Price: $41,520.00
    White Diamond Paint + Sunroof
    Preferred Customer Discount: - $4,725.24
    Customer Rebate: - $6,000.00
    Selling Price: $30,794.76

Sales Tax (estimate): + $2,272.67
    Tag/Registration Fees (estimate): + $335.00
    Tire/Battery/MVWEA: + $8.50
    Dealer Service Fee: + $599.95
    Balance Due (estimate): $34,010.88

LEASE OPTION
    Cash Due at Signing $1,855
    36 Months @ $499/month
    12,000 miles/year
    Rebates: $6,000

I also currently have a '07 CTS lease ending in Jan '08.

Is this a good deal or could I do better?

Thanks for any info and help?
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi gator5000e. A money factor of .00275 isn't bad for an unsupported lease. It's equivalent to an interest rate of 6.6%. I wonder how bad the residual value is. Did the dealer reveal it to you? Unfortunately, I do not personally keep tabs on the lease programs that are being offered by independent banks so I cannot confirm that this is U.S. Bank's buy rate. Sorry that I could not be of more help.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Thanks Car_man. That MF and residual (45%) became secondary when they disclosed their privacy policy to me as I was about to close the deal (or anti-privacy policy as the case may be).

I was set to take delivery on a new CTS today. All details had been worked out, price agreed on, etc. The dealership just needed a credit app to get the lease approved. They faxed over a credit app and along with the app is a Privacy Policy form.

The form basically reads that they can take my “Private Information” and disclose it to anyone, including "Marketing Service Providers", "Affiliates" and “Other Third Parties”.

Private Information is defined as info we received through any apps or forms and includes name, address, SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER and income.

This form is not giving me the option to opt out of this policy. It is merely an acknowledgment of what they can and might do with my information with or without my permission.

The dealer General Manager says no one has ever bitched at this before and that it has never caused a problem. I do not like the idea they may give my SS# out to anyone they want to, even though the Gen Manager says, verbally, they won’t do it.

This really bugs me but am I making a mountain out of a mole hill? I told the GM it was a deat breaker. I asked for a letter saying they won't do this but he said he wasn't going to send me one.

I tried to buy the CTS but I keep running into obstacles. Maybe it's all a sign.
  • sam_ksam_k Member Posts: 200
    Car_man,

Is GM still cutting back on leasing support like you mentioned a couple of months ago? I was considering leasing a Cadillac CTS AWD but if what you said still holds true, then I'll just stick with my other option, the Infiniti G37x sedan. Thanks.

Sam
    Hi Sam. While General Motors did reintroduce its special financing offers when GMAC received a huge cash infusion from the government, it unfortunately did not bring back its special lease program. In fact, if I recall correctly the agreement between GMAC and the government actually prohibits it from leasing, or at least places some significant restrictions upon it. If this is indeed the case, I wouldn't count on GM bringing its lease program back any time soon.

If you are set on leasing, you will be much better off going with the Infiniti G37 Sedan.

Car_man
    Host
  • wafflemanwaffleman Member Posts: 8
    Regarding this deal:
    Vehicle Price: $41,520.00
    White Diamond Paint + Sunroof
    Preferred Customer Discount: - $4,725.24
    Customer Rebate: - $6,000.00
    Selling Price: $30,794.76

Looks like a pretty good deal to me. Are those types of deal only available for leasing? Can you get similar deals with purchase? I'd purchase in a heartbeat for similar type of discount. What is everyone's experience?
  • northstar7northstar7 Member Posts: 1
    That money factor is horrible. BMW will give you money factors equating to 1.55%
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    Give us back the bailout money and shut down. Excellent lease incentives. $7000 plus Supplier Pricing and Bonus cash and my capital costs would be about $32.5K.

The rub? They want 24% interest rate for the money factor. I confirmed this with a second dealer.

I've been close a couple of times on Cadillac, but never worked out a deal. This one probably kills my last chance before they become owned by the US Government and the Union. I liked the idea of leasing over purchase because of the long term security of GM. I don't really see how they are going to make it.
    24% interest rate?! That's insane. Did you take the money factor and multiply it 2400 to get that interest rate? I was thinking about leasing a CTS but after Car_man indicated that GM was providing no lease support anymore, I stopped considering it. If 24% is the interest rate, it must be super expensive to lease.
    That's basically what I told him. I repeated to the Manager, what is the money factor? He replied it is a 24% interest rate. He didn't bat an eye. I told the second dealer I called that I would have a hard time telling anyone that with a straight face.

There is lease support though. They told me no, there was no offers. I said I just got off of the GM Supplier site at work and they listed incentives. He said no, I pointed to the paper I had with the GM supplier price of the car on their lot and told him in addition to the almost $3K off, there was $7000 of lease incentive. He went back into the room and brought out a bunch of papers. Oh, he said that's for people with a lease. I said no, that's just a lease incentive. I also have a leased vehicle with a end date before 10/31 so that offer is an additional $2K. He shuffled the papers more and found that. Then I said it appears there is a $1K Bonus cash for the GM Supplier people. He found all that and I figured I nailed this one.

So I said, now that we have that, my questions were about the residual and the lease factor. That's when he came back with the 24% interest rate. So I repeated myself knowing GM was given tax bailout money to open up their stores, so surely they wouldn't try to rip us off.

I've only leased once. I do see thought that the support is available even if you use a source for the lease other then GM. I assume in some areas Banks do that?

In January they had a $5K or $7K similar offer on a purchase for people with leases ending XX 2009. I didn't hit that window or I would have bought one then.

I've probably stopped in for the last time as I've tried to deal several times over the years on a Cadillac and never came close to the deals I was able to make with the Toyota's and Ford dealerships.

I guess there are enough people that won't drive anything but a Cadillac that they see no need to get new customers and continue to mess over the existing ones.

Seems like a business model that would put you out of business. Oh wait, it is putting them out of business.

If they recover it will be from Obama giving them my taxes (and my kids and grandkids taxes), not from me purchasing a vehicle.
  • couchman57couchman57 Member Posts: 13
    OK Carman, is the $7k lease incentive offset by crazy MF and low residuals??

Can you supply the latest MF and residuals?

I was interested in heading to Cadillac dealer but this type of information may push me back to BMW or Acura....
    Hi couchman57. GMAC is no longer leasing vehicles, so in order to lease a CTS one would have to do so through an independent bank. I don't personally keep tabs on the money factors and residual values that independent banks are offering, but I would be shocked if the money factors that are out there really were equivalent to an interest rate of 24%. It sounds like the dealer who said that just doesn't want anyone to lease this car for some reason, or doesn't know what he's talking about. I don't even think that banks are allowed to charge consumers interest rates that are that high on auto loans and leases.

Car_man
    Host
    The dealership in Clarksburg WV quoted me the rate. I figured it was BS so I went home and called the dealership in Fairmont. Without me telling him what was said in Clarksburg he quoted me 24%. At least when I asked him how they could say that with a straight face, he sounded appologetic. It disturbed him as well. I could tell he was embarrased. He did mention his dealership was trying to work out something locally with a financial organization. He mentioned a dealership in PA he had talked with had something going but without GM.

The discounts are available for a lease, even if GM is not doing the lease according to the website. I just don't see why GM would offer all this money and then turn around and offer a rate no one in their right mind would accept. I would simply say we were not leasing.

When the first dealer told me this, face to face, I asked why would anyone lease a cadillac. He responded some people just have to lease. And I said well I wouldn't think it would be a Cadillac. I walked out.

Bob Trickett Cadillac, Clarksburg WV
    Anthony Cadillac, Fairmont WV

In all fairness to them, I don't see this as their fault. At least though Anthony showed some sort of embarassment.
  • mixenmixen Member Posts: 11
    There is a dealer on Long Island that is advertising a 60-month lease for the RWD CTS with auto for $289 per month. They want $2995 down plus bank fee plus first month's payment, plus tax. I figure that comes to about $6179 down, but I have $1000 GM points and a $500 special offer. So, it would be $4679 down and $289 per month. If you amortize the $4679 over the course of 60 months, that means that the actual monthly payment of $289 is around $367 per month. All in all, not a bad deal for a CTS, albeit the base model.

I have dealt with this dealer in the past and this is not a gimmick. However, it applies to only the advertised car, and if they have another car in stock with the same option, but a different color, then the monthly price jumps $100+. I just don't understand why they would be willing to lease one car at that price but not another similarly equipped car. Any thoughts?

Also, based on what I have seen in the postings above, GMAC lease factor is off the charts. However, does anyone know what a private bank would charge and does anyone know if the $7000 rebate (and other rebates) apply in a lease situation where you use an outside lender.
    What I have read and what I was told is that the $7000 is good regardless of who finances the lease for you.
  • rackermanrackerman Member Posts: 8
    that seem like a great lease deal...:-) can you disclose which dealership is offering that deal...i am in the market for lease a '09 CTS...i live in Miami and my local dealership is offering $439/mnth, plus sales tax and $1998 down for a new CTS(basic model).
  • hoss411hoss411 Member Posts: 9
    I'm considering leasing a CTS through US Bank. Edmunds currently lists 5 different rebates and I'm trying to figure out which ones I'm eligible for. I've asked a couple of dealers and I think they are either misleading me or they are absolutely clueless...

I currently lease an Infiniti and must turn it in on 9/20. I qualify for GMS employee pricing.

I know I get the $7000 rebate. I also believe I qualify for the additional $2000 rebate since I'm currently in a lease that ends before 10/31. Two dealers have told me "NO" to that - I only get up to $7000 total rebate. My gut tells me this is bogus, but I really don't know...

As for the other three rebates... I know I don't qualify for the $1000 owner loyalty rebate, but there is still a $1000 GM Bonus Cash and $1500 Customer Cash rebate. Perhaps these are only for a purchase though??

Any help is appreciated!
    I agree with you....very confusing...I tried to nego a lease on a CTS over the weekend (Miami, Florida) and they told me I am "only" eligible for the $7k rebate. I am currently leasing a CTS and it expired on May 19, 2009...on a month-to month lease.
    I agree with you....very confusing...I tried to nego a lease on a CTS over the weekend (Miami, Florida) and they told me I am "only" eligible for the $7k rebate. I am currently leasing a CTS and it expired on May 19, 2009...on a month-to month lease.
    Atlantic Cadillac in Bayshore, NY (Long Island).
    As a follow-up to my e-mail, I finally pulled the trigger and leased a 2009 CTS AWD with the base engine, no added options. The deal is 60 months at $339 per month plus $2995 down plus bank fee plus tax plus DMV. It came out to about $7250 down, but I had $3000 GM points and had received a letter from GM saying that I could exceeed the normal $1000 point threshhold for the CTS until the end of June. So, I wound up getting the CTS for about $4250 down. I hate putting money down, but all things considered, I thought this was a good deal for the AWD.
    No offense mixen but putting money down on a lease is a risk. If your car is stolen or totalled, then you lose all that money. Gap insurance does not cover you. The insurance company writes the check to the owner of the car (i.e. the leasing company), not you, so any money that you put down is lost. That's why Edmunds recommends that you don't put money down on a lease.

Leasing for 60 months is also a risk considering that the basic warranty on the CTS is only 4 years/50K miles. That means that for the last year of your lease (or anytime after you hit 50K miles) you'll be responsible for paying anything that breaks that's not covered by the drivetrain warranty which is 5 years/100K miles.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2009/cadillac/cts/101001122/standardwarranties.html
    That's a long lease. I would have thought that with 0% you could have done as well purchasing?
  • billmvbillmv Member Posts: 148
    Sam....please clear up something for me. You say "If your leased car is stolen... the insurance company writes the check to the owner of the car (i.e. the leasing company), not you."

Let's say the value of the car at the time of the loss is $30,000. Let's also say that the "balance" left on the lease is $35,000.

I presume the insurance company pays whoever the "owner" is the value of the car, and that they are not concerned with any outstanding financing balances, either conventional or lease. Correct?

So if the lessor (leasing company) gets $30,000 from the insurance company, but is owed $35,000, what do they do about the $5,000 shortfall? Go after the lessee? Using this example, the person leasing the car has come out ahead by not putting any money into a down payment, assuming the leasing company does not come after them.

Conversely, I can see where putting a big chunk of money down might put the balance below the value, and in that case the lessor comes out ahead. I'm presuming the leasing company will not turn around and give the lessee any funds they may have received from the insurance company which exceed the balance due. Correct?

How is any disparity between the value and the balance due handled?

Thanks.
    billmv, there's a very simple answer to your first question. When you lease, the lease should include something called "gap insurance". As the name implies it covers the difference between what your insurance company will pay the finance company and what's owed to them. In your example, if the leasing company is owed $35K and the insurance company will only pay $30K, gap insurance will cover the $5K difference. Here's a link to an edmunds.com article that explains gap insurance.

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/finance/articles/105266/article.html

I've never heard of any leases that don't include gap insurance. You shouldn't have to pay extra for it but you should just confirm that it's included in the cost of the lease.

And to answer your second question, you are correct. If you have equity built in the car from making lease payments, the leasing company will not turn around and pay the lessee any funds they may have received from the insurance company which exceeds the balance due.

And for those who don't believe what I said in my previous post that any money you put down on a lease is lost if the car is stolen or totaled, edmunds.com mentions it in the following article on how to spot a good lease.

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/leasing/articles/102826/article.html
  • rbirns1rbirns1 Member Posts: 311
    GM announced they will resume offering leases on CTS and SRX through an affiliation with U.S. Bank. Anyone have any details on these lease offers?
    Greetings rbirns1. What you read is correct, General Motors did finally reintroduce leasing on a select number of models. It actually is running two different special lease programs this month, one through its traditional captive finance company GMAC in most regions and one through US Bank in a select number of states.

GMAC's current base lease rate for a 36 to 39 month lease of a 2009 Cadillac CTS is a very attractive 0.40%. Its special lease rate through US Bank is slightly higher at 0.96%. If you tell me what state you are in, I will gladly tell you which program is available in your area.

When negotiating your lease on the CTS that you are interested in, make sure to take advantage of the $3,000 lease cash that is available on deals through GMAC ($2,750 on US Bank leases).

Car_man
    Host
  • smithsongasmithsonga Member Posts: 123
    I have interest in this. I am in GA.

What is the MF and residual in GA? and available lease cash?

thx
  • borisgborisg Member Posts: 1
    This sounds like a great offer with the $3K offering.

I am in MA, what are new August lease quotes and other incentives?
    I'm in NY. What about residuals? Critical for figuring out the bottom line. Thanks in advance.
    Hi smithsonga. The GMAC lease program is available in Georgia. This program features a special lease rate of 0.4% for 36 or 39 months. This is a lease rate, not a money factor. To convert it to a money factor you just have to divide it by 2400. So, its equivalent to a money factor of around 0.00016.

On top of this special interest rate of practically zero percent, General Motors is providing a $3,000 cash incentive on leases of this car through GMAC.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi rbirns1. The US Bank lease program, 0.96% lease rate and $2,750 lease cash, is available in New York. I have not seen US Bank's residual values for this car. I'll have to make some calls and see what I can find out.

Car_man
    Host
    Thanks CarMan. But what are the GMAC 36 and 39 month residuals?? and is this for any trim level (basically the engines). Not including the CTS-V
  • claweaveclaweave Member Posts: 25
    I just read there is $6000 lease cash available...
    So in Indiana is it GMAC? What are the lease residual %'s for 36/15 lease? I just read and confirmed via cadillac's online ask an expert that there is $6000 lease cash available. can this be combined with GMAC? also, I am able to buy at supplier pricing. can I use all these specials with it as well?
    $6000 is incredible. where did u read that?

You can typically use supplier pricing with any incentive. I get employee pricing...but my current BMW lease isnt up until Dec. but $6000 lease cash and employee pricing would be an incredibly low lease price.. :shades:
    I found the $6K on edmunds.com under incentives. Let me warn you though, I believe that GMAC is saying the residual is 41% basically killing the deal....
  • artmbgolfartmbgolf Member Posts: 57
    What are the Lease terms/rates for Delaware + PA?

I received an ad for $3,000 current leasee $.
    Could the $6,000 someone posted be that $3k + a $3k Rebate?

What is the residual for 10K, 12K, 15K in DE + PA?

Thanks!
  • tambaydrivertambaydriver Member Posts: 26
    Car man,

I am in FL and would appreciate the numbers for a CTS lease, 36 mths, 10k or 12k miles. If the 39 mth lease is a better value based on low mileage needs I would be interested to hear your opinion. I have not bought a US make in a long time and I am not looking forward to the endless packages and options menu but suffice it to say a "nicely equipped" car. Coming out of a BMW. Lastly, is there any info on the new CTS crossover styled vehicle.

Your help has been invaluable in the past and I appreciate the service you offer. Thanks.
  • artmbgolfartmbgolf Member Posts: 57
    I saw lease figures on a 2009 CTS in PA. The down payment + lease payment is much closer (about $50 a month) to a purchase. They also want a security deposit now. I don't know the lease details that Carman can provide.
    It looks like any lease savings now is not enough to outweight the constraints of leasing.

A 39 month lease (instead of 36 month) creates a $15-20 lower payment, but then you have 3 more payments and you are shopping for a car in a different time period the next time. If you like shopping in Sept for example, to have a pick of left overs and new model year, you will want a 36 month lease, if you lease.

CTS has lots of options, but most of them are in packages, so you may have to accept some options you don't care for to get options you want. It looks like they are trying to make it simpler for 2010, by having a base car, a luxury version and a performace version. Coming from BMW, you will want the FE2 18" wheel option or maybe even FE3, living in FL.
    Good question, smithsonga. The GMAC residual values are tough to find, but I managed to dig them up. GMAC's August residual value for a 36 month lease of a base 2009 Cadillac CTS was a horrifying 36%. This car's lease rates are indeed available for any trim level outside of the V, but its residuals vary by term.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi claweave. General Motors was providing a $6,000 cash incentive on leases of the 2009 Cadillac CTS through independent banks last month. This cash is not compatible with the GMAC or US Bank lease programs that have been talked about here.

Car_man
    Host
    Hey claweave. As I mentioned in my previous post, the six grand is not compatible with GMAC's special lease program. GMAC's current base lease rate and residual value for a 36 month lease of a base 2009 Cadillac CTS with 15,000 miles per year are an extremely attractive 0.40% and an extremely unattractive 36%.

You should be able to lease through GMAC and take advantage of supplier pricing.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi artmbgolf. The GMAC lease program that has been discussed here is available in both Delaware and Pennsylvania. The $6,000 cash incentive is for leases through independent banks and as a result it is not available on GMAC leases.

GMAC's current base lease rate and residual value for a 36 month lease of a base 2009 Cadillac CTS with 15,000 miles per year are an attractive 0.40% and an unattractive 36%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    So what are some bottom line numbers? Considering the great lease rate and awful residual value, combined with cash incentives etc., what payments are currently being offered?
This discussion has been closed.