Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Cadillac CTS Lease Questions

Comments

• rbirns1rbirns1 Member Posts: 311
    I know it's the wrong forum, car man, but what lease numbers are being offered on the new SRX?
  • artmbgolfartmbgolf Member Posts: 57
    You can rough ballpark a lease.
    $50,000 X .36 residual (15k miles) = $18,000

If you pay $42,000 - $18,000 = $22,000 owed.
    Add about $2,000 interest = $24,000 owed
    $24k / 36 = $666
    With $3600 down, payment goes to $566, but no real savings.

The residual on this used to be about 52% in 2007, higher for 10 + 12k miles.

Ask your dealer to see the residuals page. Then you can decide the number of payments. They don't negoiate the residuals. GMAC sets them. They should not be a secret any more than the MSRP.
  • rbirns1rbirns1 Member Posts: 311
    Never put money down on a lease. Besides, with interest rate under 1%, who would you even want to?
  • billmvbillmv Member Posts: 148
    Car_Man.....you're right. 36% IS horrifying. Yet I recently read that the CTS won Kelly Blue Book's award for Best Resale Value in its category (Full size car) for 2009. Something isn't computing here.

http://mediaroom.kbb.com/kelley-blue-book-announces-winners-2009-best-resale-val- ue-awards

And you wonder why GM is in trouble.......
  • njitalianangelnjitalianangel Member Posts: 1
    I went to the dealership and found a 2009 CTS MSRP for $43,535. Because my dad was a GM employee I get the GMS price of $39000. The car has 2110 miles on it(a demo). They want me to pay the sales tax upfront(8%) w/ first month payment and fees which is around $3650. They are giving a $3400 rebate but the money factor is 0.725 and the residual is 38%. He got the payment to $485 for 39 months if I put the $3600 down but I want to use the $3400 as my down payment and want a better price on the car since it was a demo.
    Can you tell me what kind of a deal I should be working towards and the money factor seemed very high and the residual not very good. I have not leased before and am very confused as to all the numbers, HELP!
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi rbirns1. The bottom line lease payment of the CTS that you are interested in will depend upon what its MSRP and selling price are. These numbers can vary widely from model to model, depending upon how they are equipped. Let me know what these numbers are and I'll gladly use GM's current lease program to work up a sample payment on the exact car that you're interested in.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Hey rbirns1. I'll head on over the SRX forum and answer this question there.

Car_man
    Host
    That's odd. I wonder what the category was, best residual value for a luxury sedan from a bankrupt automaker :sick: .

Car_man
    Host
    Hi njitalianangel. Since you are new to leasing, you definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

Given the fact that you are already getting this car at the GMS price and the dealer us using GMAC's base lease rate to calculate its payment, you don't have a lot of additional room to negotiate. The only flexible part is how much of an additional dealer discount you are given for the demo miles that this car has. I personally would want a substantial additional discount to go with a demo vehicle over a similar brand new model.

Car_man
    Host
    Paying the sales tax doesn't change anything. If they can roll it into your lease, it increases your payment and you pay interest on it.

Your money factor sounds like it might not be a GMAC lease, per CarMan's post. Yes you should get the rebate taken off your $39000 price. The residual is based on annual mileage and set by GMAC or the bank.

Putting $ down (rebate or cash) lowers your lease payment, but it doesn't save you $ overall. However, putting the $ down is better than if you spend it on other stuff, unless you need it now for other stuff.

Dealers hope to sell a demo for at worst invoice. There isn't a set amount to take off for it being a demo, but there should be something off. Make sure you get a statement showing the in service mileage of 2110.

. The car has 2110 miles on it(a demo). residual is 38%. He got the payment to $485 for 39 months if I put the $3600 down but I want to use the $3400 as my down payment and want a better price on the car since it was a demo.

Carman posted 36%. Is your 38% for 12k?
    Like someone else posted, it doesn't make sense to advertise best resale value, then come up with a low residual rate.

The higher residuals of the past, in the 50-56% range for 3 years and 15-10k miles made it not such a good deal to buy the car for residual. It kept leasees leasing again. Now with 36 - 40% residual for 15-10k miles, the lease cost is higher, but if someone wants to keep the car, buying it for the residual will be a better deal than in the past.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter is looking to interview a consumer who passed on purchasing a Cadillac because there was no attractive lease option. Please send your daytime phone number to ctalati@edmunds.com by Wednesday, September 16, 2009.
  • shaymasdaddy06shaymasdaddy06 Member Posts: 17
    Lease rates for any 2009 car now will be much lower because the 2010s are already on their way or at the dealerships. Unless there are hugh cash incentives to offset the lower residual rates, the best time to lease a new car would be between Jan - Jun of the model year. After that the residuals start to drop and leases become less advantagous.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter is looking to speak to consumers who recently leased a GM or Chrysler vehicle in the past two months . Please send your daytime phone number to ctalati@edmunds.com by Thursday, October 8, 2009.
  • FellirenFelliren Member Posts: 6
    Good morning car_man! Do you have the current residual and money factors for the 2010 CTS wagon? I'm looking at the 3.6L Performance AWD style.
    Hi rflor Here's the info that you're looking for. GMAC's current base lease rate and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 Cadillac CTS Wagon 3.6L Performance AWD with 15,000 miles per year are 0.80% and 40%, respectively.

As you can see, GMAC publishes lease rates instead of money factors for vehicles. One can convert lease rates into approximate money factor equivalents by dividing them by 2400. So a lease rate of 0.80% is equivalent to a money factor of around .00033.

You never mentioned how long you want to lease for or what mileage allowance you need, so I had to make some assumptions. Let me know if you want something different.

When negotiating your lease on this wagon, make sure to take advantage of the $2,750 cash incentive that General Motors is currently providing on leases of it through GMAC.

Car_man
    Host
  • cto1968cto1968 Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone know if there is additional money available to customers that are coming off a current GMAC lease?
    Hi cto1968. I believe that General Motors is currently providing a $1,000 cash incentive to current GMAC lessees with expiring leases who lease a new 2010 Cadillac CTS.

This loyalty cash incentive is in addition to the $1,750 cash incentive that GM is providing on leases of the '10 CTS through GMAC.

Car_man
    Host
  • qpmicroqpmicro Member Posts: 6
    What is the current rate and residual for a 3/36 lease on a CTS-V (MSRP is $68,750, selling price is $65,500).

Thanks,
    AE
    That's a very good question, qpmicro. I know that GMAC's current base lease rate for a 36 month lease of a 2010 Cadillac CTS is 0.8% and that GMAC's current residual value for a 36 month lease of a CTS-V with 12,000 miles per year is 50%.

The problem is that the 2010 CTS-V is not eligible for most of the incentives that are available on the CTS. It will be pretty obvious if it is not eligible for this special lease rate because GMAC's unsupported lease rates are absolutely terrible.

Car_man
    Host
  • jinocjinoc Member Posts: 7
    I'm looking for the current MF and Residual for a 3 year 15,000 mi/yr lease on a CTS Premium with minimum cap reduction. MSRP is about $47,500.
    Hello jinoc. GMAC's March base lease rate and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 Cadillac CTS Premium 2WD with 15,000 miles per year are 0.8% and 44%, respectively.

As you can see, GMAC publishes lease rates instead of money factors for the vehicles that it leases. You can convert its published rates into approximate money factor equivalents by dividing them by 2400.

When negotiating your lease on this car, make sure to take advantage off the $2,200 cash incentive that General Motors is currently providing on leases of it.

Car_man
    Host
  • jinocjinoc Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2010
    Ok here's what I've been able to negotiate on the CTS Premium in Southern California: $2,500 in driveoffs; pretax payments of $630/month. Lease is 36 months and 15,000 miles per year.

This includes $1,000 in incentive cash for me coming out of an existing Mercedes lease early - which makes me wonder whether i should just hold out a couple of months or if it's likely the terms would be worse due to the dropping residual that could occur at the end of the model year?

How does my deal sound and should I consider ending my existing MB lease early to take advantage of this deal?
  • dumb_blondedumb_blonde Member Posts: 4
    My dealer just contacted me and asked me if I had any interest in buying my 2007 CTS at end of Lease.

I have the basic model with a 6 not an 8. It has premium paint and has most bells and whistles. It has just slightly under 10,000 miles.

Is it worth the $18,300 he is asking?
    You can buy the car for the Residual, that is quoted on your Lease Agreement. Do not pay more than that. If "for example" your residual is $20,000 and the dealer can buy it from GMAC for $17,300, it's a good compromise to buy it for $18,300. Your dealer may think you will buy it and is willig to make some $, rather than have you buy it out at another dealer or return it for a Buick and they make nothing.

You would have to spend around $7,000 to $9,000 more on MSRP to get a 2010 CTS with the same options. After that, a 2010 Lease will cost you about $150 more per month, since you will be buying a higher priced car at worse lease terms.

I see dealers advertising 2006 - 2007 CTS in the $18,000 - $21,000 with 30-40,000 miles on them, so I think you have a good deal, if that is what you want to do.
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    With that low mileage, I would buy the car.
  • bobbflobobbflo Member Posts: 7
    They have the current deal up...msrp 39990, on a luxury 3.0 RWD...I am a current lesse with 2 payments left so they waive the 1000...there is also a 1000 manufacturer to dealer discount noted in your incentive site....I also am entitled to a GM Family Prefered price which should bring it down to 38,300- plus the GM Employee vehicle allowance of 1500, which should bring the cap cost down to 36,800 minus what I could get out of the manufacturer to dealer piece....If i did this correct- thats what the lease price should be based from , correct? Does anyone know what the residual and money factor is on this vehicle? Trying to learn so I'm prepared going in...I also want to roll the taxes in, 8.25 % here in NYS state- someone take a stab on what the best bottom line here should be for me??? I note the bottom line of their offfer says not available with other offers- does that knock out my GM employee discounts? also what would dealer fees be?I know I got a ton of questions, but would really appreciate any help here Bob in Buffalo

2010 CADILLAC CTS SEDAN RWD 3.0L LUXURY

Low-mileage Lease for Qualified Lessees
    $499/month 39 month lease, $1000 due at signing (after all offers).
    $0 due at signing for current Lessees (after all offers).
    No security deposit required.
    Tax, title, license, dealer fees and optional equipment extra.
    Mileage charge of $.20/mile over 39000 miles.

Read full offer details

Example based on survey. Each dealer sets own price. Your payments may vary. Payments are for a specially equipped 2010 Cadillac CTS Sedan RWD 3.0L Luxury with MX0 Automatic with an MSRP of $39990. 39 monthly payments total $18944. Option to purchase at lease end for an amount to be determined at lease signing. GMAC must approve lease. Take delivery by 04-30-2010. Mileage charge of $.20 /mile over 39000 miles. Lessee pays for maintenance, repair and excess wear. Payments may be higher in some states. Not available with other offers. Residency restrictions apply.
  • boomboom4boomboom4 Member Posts: 10
    edited May 2010
    Hi Car man. Any idea on the money factor and residual for May on a CTS premium AWD for 12k/year for 36 months? Thank you.
    edited May 2010
    Cadillac just came out with a new lease program. It's $449/mo with "0" down. (Residual is 43% I believe based upon a purchase price of $37990)

I made an error on my 2007 CTS that I am currently leasing...
    the buy out is 18,440 not 18,300. If I certify the car, they will finance @1.9% Still haven't figured out why I have to have it certified. I am meeting with the dealer again today to investigate both lease & buy out options.

I guess my major concerns are future repairs (it's been repair free up until now). If I don't invest $2000 in the dealer warranty, I could face some major costs down the line. However, as is is a low mileage car I may not have to worry for a few years.

I have to make a decision as to whether I should shall out the $18K now (not finance it) or lease a brand new one. One thing is certain, there isn't a car out there for $18K that is in the same condition as mine, has low mileage and is a luxury car.

My accountant says I have to figure out what my 2007 CTS will be worth in a few years and whether or not it will hold it's value. Anyone have a crystal ball?
    Here's the information that you're looking for, boomboom4.

GMAC's May base lease rate and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 Cadillac CTS Premium AWD with 12,000 miles per year are 1.45% and 47%, respectively.

As you can see, GMAC publishes lease rates instead of money factors for the vehicles that it leases. You can convert its lease rates into approximate money factor equivalents by dividing them by 2400.

When negotiating your deal on this car, make sure to take advantage of the $4,100 cash incentive that is currently available on leases of it through GMAC.

Car_man
    Host
  • boomboom4boomboom4 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks Car man. My dealer says the residual is 43% not 47%. He has the interest rate at 1.45. Did they raise the residual from March and lraise the interest rate? I didn't realize the dealer could mark-up(in this case mark down) the residual. Thanks Carman
    You're welcome boomboom4. Both the dealer and I have this car's lease rate at 1.45%.

I'm pretty sure that the residual value for a 36 month, 15,000 mile per year lease of a 2010 CTS Performance AWD is 45%. Adding 2% to that for a 12,000 mile per year lease increases it to 47%. There must be some sort of miscommunication between you and the dealer because I don't believe that individual dealers are allowed to alter banks' published residual values.

Car_man
    Host
  • dotbowelsdotbowels Member Posts: 43
    edited May 2010
    Local dealer has CTS Luxury AWD with sunroof. 39 month zero down no security deposit plus first month payment up to $800 will be made for me for $499 a month 12,000 miles per year. Does not include local 7% sales tax or annual Motor Vehicle Taxes of a couple thousand dollars that declines each year The car lists for $43,040.

How do I know what the best deal I can make is? Thanks

MANUFACTURER'S SUGGESTED RETAIL PRICE $43,040.00
    STANDARD VEHICLE PRICE $41,065.00
    Options installed by Manufacturer
    ULTRAVIEW SUNROOF
    $ 900.00
    TIRE, COMPACT SPARE
    (REPLACES TIRE INFLATOR KIT)
    $ 250.00
    TOTAL OPTIONS $1,150.00
    TOTAL VEHICLE & OPTIONS $42,215.00
    DESTINATION CHARGE $825.00
  • dotbowelsdotbowels Member Posts: 43
    I would be eligible for any owner loyalty and credit union discounts/incentives if either/or both are available.

I probably need the money rate for the 39 month and the residual would differ for a 39 versus 36 month

Thanks again
  • wfk21wfk21 Member Posts: 8
    Car Man,

Here is the proposed deal...your thoughts.
    2010 CTS w/ luxury package & sunroof
    Terms 39X12
    GCC $41,501
    CCR $4,620
    Residual $18,452
    Lease end purchae amount $20952
    $536/month includes tax & $5K of excess wear and tear coverage
    I am to pay nothing out of pocket...dealer will pay 1st payment, tag fee, etc.
    Total rebates/noncash credits $5,634
    I am not a current GMAC lessee nor am I trading in another car.
    My dealer also quoted me a residual of 43%
    Hi dotbowels. If I was in the market for a Cadillac CTS right now, the first thing that I would do is look up the dealer invoice price of the exact car that I was interested in right here at Edmunds.com: New Vehicle Pricing.

I would then subtract any available cash incentives that I was eligible for from that, including the $4,100 cash incentive on leases through GMAC and the $1,000 regional conquest cash that is available in some areas.

Finally I would add around $500 or so to that base price and use it for my offer.

Car_man
    Host
    Dotbowels, GMAC's 39 month lease rates are exactly the same as its 36 month rates. Its 39 month residual values are usually 2% to 3% lower than its 36 month residuals.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi wfk21. Does the "GCC" that you mentioned in your post stand for "Gross Capitalized Cost?" If so, that should be this car's selling price prior to the reduction of any cash incentives or down payment.

The "CCR" is definitely this car's capitalized cost reduction. The question is whether the dealer is asking you to pay that out of your own pocket over and above the cash incentives that are available or if that is the cash incentives.

The two numbers that you really need to know are the CTS' MSRP and final selling price after the deduction of any incentives. With them, we should be able to estimate how much of a dealer discount you are being given and in turn if there is any room left out to negotiate.

Car_man
    Host
  • buster6buster6 Member Posts: 134
    Car Man,

Could you post the lease numbers for June on the CTS?
    Hey buster6. Here you go.

GMAC's June base lease rate and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 Cadillac CTS Sedan 3.0L 2WD with 15,000 miles per year are 1.45% and 45%, respectively.

This car's lease program varies by trim level. Let me know if you're interested in a different version.

When negotiating your deal, make sure to take advantage of the $4,850 cash incentive that is currently available on leases of this car through GMAC. I believe that General Motors is waiving the first month's payment on leases of this model as well.

Car_man
    Host
  • lawbreaker1lawbreaker1 Member Posts: 2
    I'm in NJ and about the pull the trigger on leasing a 2010 Cadillac CTS Luxury model. The car is RWD, 12k/year, and everything else it comes with is standard in the Luxury package. Tax/titles/etc works out to be around $2,700 down. The price I negotiated with the dealer is $389/month. From what I've seen on these postings the price seems great. Can someone confirm whether or not this is a good deal? I had wanted the base model and could have gotten it for $349/month but they didn't have black.

Also, does anyone know where I can get a GM Customer Appreciation $1,000 certificate? Can I try calling GM to get one? I didn't attend any of their sponsered events but I do have a GM Credit card.
  • jlkhjlkh Member Posts: 28
    Are there new incentives for July on the CTS AWD Premium? I dont see any listed on the GM site.
    Hi jlkh. Most of General Motors' June incentives are scheduled to run through today, July 6th. However, it introduced a special holiday sales event on Cadillac.

GM is now providing an amazing 0% financing for up to 6 years or $3,000 customer cash or a special lease program through GMAC featuring a $6,425 cash incentive and a low lease rate of 1.8% for 36 months on the 2010 CTS.

Car_man
    Host
    The dealer has provided this price quote:
    2010 CTS AWD 3.6 Premium
    49590 list
    -2767 discount
    -1000 conquest incentive
    sale price 45823
    I am in Illinois, so the 7% sales tax has to be included based on the purchase price.
    36 month, 10K miles per year
    the rate was 1.8%, 47% residual.

The quote with no money down , all taxes rolled in was $620/month, but it seems high based on the fact that there is the $6425 CCR that should be included.

Does this seem right?
  • delta737hdelta737h Member Posts: 626
    edited July 2010
    jlkh,

You haven't provide enough information for me to determine whether or not the $620 payment makes any sense. However, based on this payment, I can confirm that the adjusted cap cost is $43,794.69 and should only differ from the dealer's figure by no more than a few pennies assuming that the list of 49,590 is the MSRP upon which the residual is calculated.

Specifically, what is being capitalized (i.e., financed) in the lease besides sales tax? There is a $595 GMAC acquisition fee and I suspect that it's being capped. Is there a dealer doc fee? If so, is it being capped or paid upfront? I'm guessing that you haven't made a cash or trade cap reduction. Is that correct?

What are you paying upfront? As you can see, there are just too many unknowns. But, if I had to make an educated guess, which I hate doing, I would guess that the $6,425 has already been deducted and, accordingly, is reflected in the $620 payment. Here's why this is plausible...

MSRP.................. 49,590.00 (assuming list = MSRP)
    MSRP Disc.......... 2,767.00
    Sell Price.............. 46,823.00 (taxable)
    III tax.................... 3,350.00 (est)
    Acq Fee............... 595.00 (taxable)
    Dealer Fees......... 451.69 (inclu doc fees- taxable)
    GROSS CAP....... 51,219.69

Cap Reductions
    Conquest incentive....1,000.00
    CCR....................... 6,425.00

ADJ CAP............... 43,794.69
    Res Value............. 23,307.30
    Lease Rate........... 1.8%
    Term................... 36
    Lease Payment.... 620.00

Amt Due at Signing: 1st Payment + DMV Fees

This would be my best guess. We can, however, avoid guessing. I suggest that you ask the dealer for their LEASE WORKSHEET. This is a computer generated document and will tell us everything we need to know including the questions I've asked above. If they refuse, RUN; DON'T WALK! Otherwise, you can email it to me at

diffeq@zoominternet

and I'll be happy to review for you if you wish. Let me know.

John
    The only money that is due at signing is the $620 first months payment, there is no trade or additional cap reduction. The aquisition fee (595) , doc (150) , license plates (170) and title (65) fee would be the only others. Do you know if GMAC requires a security deposit?

Assuming that those fees are correct, do the numbers work in your opinion? I will try to get the worksheet from the dealer.
    What does...

"The aquisition fee (595) , doc (150) , license plates (170) and title (65) fee would be the only others."

mean?

Does it mean the only other fees that you're paying upfront? Did you look at my entire post? I still can't answer your question as I would be guessing. I still need more info.

GMAC may require a security deposit. It depends on your credit.

John
    Yes, those would be the other fees that are rolled into the payment. The only upfront money due at signing is the first lease payment. Of the 5 dealers that responded to my online request, only ONE would even provide any lease price info without going to the dealer! They want to make it difficult to compare.
    Okay, so the other fees (doc, license, title) total $385. If you look at my post #403 you'll see the following item...

Dealer Fees......... 451.69 (inclu doc fees- taxable)

This indicates that 451.69 - 385 = 66.69 hasn't been accounted for... and so, we still have an unresolved issue.

Also in that post, I indicated the following...

I suggest that you ask the dealer for their LEASE WORKSHEET. This is a computer generated document and will tell us everything we need to know including the questions I've asked above. If they refuse, RUN; DON'T WALK! Otherwise, you can email it to me at

diffeqzoominternet

and I'll be happy to review for you if you wish.

If you can't provide me with this worksheet, there really isn't anything else I can do because I would only be guessing and; that's the problem you encounter whenever you allow a dealer to "run the numbers" and "control the deal".

For whatever it's worth, here's what I do...

1st. I do research regarding residual factors, money factor (I always use the buy rate), learn applicable incentives, examine promo ads, and establish a competitive selling price using edmunds, KBB (Kelly Blue Book), and overstock at zag.com.

2nd. I create a one-page lease proposal (samples attached) with all pertinent data including a description of the vehicle, MSRP, sell price, amounts capitalized (e.g., taxes, acq. fee, etc), cap reductions (e.g., trade, cash down, etc), money factor, residual factor, residual value, term, taxable payment, lease payment, amounts due up front (itemized), contract provisions (gap insurance, excess mileage charge, applicable disposition/purchase option fees).

3rd. I Fax/email the proposal to the dealer and negotiate via phone/email from the comfort of my home/office with my laptop excel spreadsheet (actually Mathematica) lease program fired up and ready to rumble! The only thing I'm likely to negotiate is the sell price and that only requires a few keystrokes on my laptop. And, bing bang, boom I'm done!

The key (no pun intended) is that you must control the deal. Never ever allow a dealer to control the deal by allowing them to ":run the numbers". Trying to figure out the dealer's numbers is often a pointless exercise and, frankly, a waste of time. These people often lie or simply don't know what the they're talking about. Allowing the dealer to control will only end up costing you money in most instances. A one-page lease proposal speaks volumes about you... it sends the message that you know what you're talking about and you know and understand leasing. That quickly serves notice to the dealer, and so; they're not at all inclined to play games. This suggests that the biggest advantage of a lease proposal is that it saves time, money, and aggravation.

John
This discussion has been closed.