Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

TOYOTA TACOMA vs FORD RANGER- Part XI

Comments

• cpousnrcpousnr Member Posts: 1,611
    what they haul with their trucks.

My Ranger, as stated, does a great deal of work. The bed, while lined with Ameriguard liner, does show some scaring...its a truck!

Anyone willing to post gas prices?

Denver: $1.75/1.85/1.95 for the 3 grades.

You can find $1.55-1.60 regular some places, but not many.
  • tclemonstclemons Member Posts: 31
    CPO - In the Northern Virginia area, the gas prices vary quite a bit depending on where you are in the area. 87 octane at a name brand dealer is about $1.65 - $1.75. I saw 87 octane at an Exxon station (right next to Ft. Belvoir) listed at $1.79! 91 octane was $1.96. My younger son just drove from here to Jack son, WY and he said the prices were not too bad - didn't give any details. The lesser known brands such as Crown, Sheets, etc. usually run 2-3 cents a gallon cheaper. If you buy gas within the District itself, it is about $.10 a gallon more. I guess that is why they complain about "taxation without representation".
  • sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    Who uses their body or mind to full potential?

I thought so!

;-)
    I use my '92 Civic for:

hauling dog, canoe, skis, fishing gear, rifles, shotguns, 5 200+# guys plus 5 big coolers (FULL) to the races, firewood, camping gear, pipe, lumber, bricks (2 big recycle bins full ~600#),

plus, I have taken it through the woods, Vermont winter sno (skiing), mud, beach, etc.

plus, last year, I used a rope to pull 4 telephone poles down my driveway!

She gets 41 mpg highway. The only thing is, she has a little rust on each rear fender, and I'd like a little more ground clearance and cargo room.

HONDA, PLEASE MAKE A TRUCK AND/OR SUV!!!!!
    SHE ALSO HAULS @#$ AROUND TOWN, ESPECIALLY ONN AND OFF RAMPS!!!
  • lariat1lariat1 Member Posts: 461
    Anybody who thinks the gas prices are going up due to a shortage of oil are saddly mistaken the last report I saw is that without searching for any more oil and only tapping known reserves they have enough iol for something like 200 years, the only reason the gas prices are going up is because the iol companies CAN raise prices and people will pay it.Dont believe me look at the price of a barrel of oil, it is the same price today as it was 10-15 years ago it is hard to believe that the price of refining oil has doubled in 10 years. Last week I saw a show and they asked the one of the oil companies how much money they made in the 4th quarter of 2000 he said 5.1 billion dollars that is the largest 1 quarter gain for any US company in history.Dont get me wrong I agree that all vehicles should be required to meet emission standards but saying that SUV's and trucks are going to run the earth out of oil is a little far fetched.
  • cthompson21cthompson21 Member Posts: 1,102
    Gas here in the outer Chicago suburbs starts at $1.79 for the cheap stuff and a bit over $2 for the high test.

If you head into the city, it's about $.25 more for all grades.

The reason that oil refining is so expensive is due to different regions requiring a special gas. Chicago has its own special freaking gas!

Congress really needs to step in and set a nation wide standard for all gas. Problem solved. Gas prices will become more stable and be pretty consistent throughout the country. No more $.50 jumps in 1 week, which are becoming way too common here in Chicagoland.
    I bet if you took a 350 Chevy (your brand here)block (crate motor?), put on a decent carb, headers, cat converter, etc, and no other plumbing, AND KEEP IT TUNED (plugs, distributor, ...) it would probably burn as clean as most of what is out there currently.

With the unleaded gas, and proper maintenance, there should be little if any emissions. Emissions mean waste and inefficiency, something people seeking performance also want to avoid. The trouble is Americans' laziness for keeping things working properly.

Oh, I prefer a fuel efficient car, but don't think that anyone should be told to BY LAW! Keep the government out of my business, thank you.
    I'd take that bet against ya.
  • dsdrvr01dsdrvr01 Member Posts: 10
    (87 octane) 1.85-1.95, and about .10 jumps between grades at each station. Have to love California. Prices vary by locality due to the local taxes placed so in some places you can save good amounts and in others you pay a fortune. I'll have to check the pump to actually see the base price of the fuel before taxes is.

For the person who commented on a National Fuel standard, it will happen but places like chicago and California will still be able to adopt more stringent formulations, It's the nature of our system the feds set a level nothing stops locals or states from going further. Believe it's 2006? 2008? for the new EPA diesel formulation standard to go in. Won't stop states from adopting more stringent ones that exceed the EPA guidance requirements.

I've always found trucks to be more versatile than car's but then I move alot, get out into the middle of nowhere alot, and finally there is no way my girlfriends dog is riding on the upholstery in a 20,000+ car. Besides Dog Breath the hair is a killer on black slacks.

Do I use the truck to it's fullest potential, at times. Are those times when I couldn't do what I do with the truck in a car enough to justify it instead of a car. Yep you betcha. As for owning two vehicles, It's not my job to keep auto workers around the world employed. Besides the pollution from the production of the extra vehicle would probably take years to offset in emissions of my truck compared to the difference in emissions from a more fuel efficient commuter. I still get a kick out of the Earth First Bumper stickers on suburbans, however. You have to wonder if the people are really that clueless.
    I saw a tshirt at the Y last week:

Pave the World

(it was a paving company, duh!)

I thought it was pretty funny.
    Heck yeah it will I have a jet boat with a 351 motor in it, the engine makes about 325 hp and all it has is a holley 4bbl carb on it no computer controls smog pumps or catalytic converter the exahust is 2 4 inch pipes 3' long we hooked it up to an emissions machine and it easily passed with about the same emissions as any new V-8. BTW it burned regular unleaded 87 octane.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    where I live are from 1.50-160 for reqular unleaded. Add a dime or so for the higher grade.
    Right now there is a battle going on about salmon or jobs here in the NW. Power is not going to be inexpensive anylonger. Screw the damn fish in my opinion, I would rather have food on my table and a roof over my head!!
  • rmacias_rmacias_ Member Posts: 37
    Western Texas:

$1.55/$1.65/$1.75
    Alaska gas prices

$1.66/$1.86/$1.96
  • issisteelmanissisteelman Member Posts: 124
    No thanks cthompson21. You are obviously one of those liberals who thinks big government is the answer to all our problems. Congress can't solve the gas problem. If anything, if congress gets involved it will probably just make the problem worse. Actually, it is congress that is part of the problem as they have mandated special gas manufacturing standards for the summer time (to reduce pollution). The switch from wintertime gas to summer time gas creates brief shortages and spikes the price. If it is O.K. with you I would prefer to keep big government out of my life!
    Congress has very specific areas in which they have authority.

They only have powers which we give to them.

I believe this goes against interstate commerce or something like that.

In any event, they should get out of my car, wallet, safe, uterus, schools, and life in general. The federal government should exist for maybe a national defense force, and maybe some highways (part of national defense). That is it.

Here we go:
    2001 go to a flat income tax, cut IRS staff 80%
    2002 reduce flat tax to 5%, eliminate all other federal taxes, cut IRS 50% more
    2003 eliminate federal income tax, eliminate IRS
    2004 get the demopublicans/republicrats (they are the same) out of office
  • davidb72davidb72 Member Posts: 174
    Sign me up for that plan...
    You guys buy that land out in Montana for your militia yet???

Liberal? Ha! I'm for common sense. Both political parties (and even the other small ones) are full of morons.

The oil industry does fall into ICC jurisdiction (sp?).

Winter gas, summer gas - fine. Just make it the same formulation throughout the country. If you haven't opened your eyes and realized, it's the states, counties, and cities that are screwing everything all up with their specialized regional gasoline formulations.

BTW, a flat tax rate would be great.

I'm just curious as to your plans on how to run the country after cutting off the funding source for the largest employer by far in the US (the government).
    I hear Montana (Big Sky Country) is beatiful. I hear the skiing is great. I bet the off-roading is excellent.

I currently live in the most fascist state in the country, Massachusetts. (Californians might argue with me, but we WERE at one time the Cradle of Liberty!)

What do you mean "run the country"? I think the US government is way way WAY oversized. Downsize the entire government. A lot. The states and municipalities can do a pretty good job at taking care of themselves.

I suppose you might be right about the specialized regional formulations, but wouldn't that be up to the individual regions? If you don't like that region, move or vote the bums out. Keep the federal government out of our local affairs.

I thought "all able bodied males, between the ages of 18 and 45..." were part of the militia? That is the only one I know about. The same one which fought off General Gage and King George.

Have a great weekend.
    Regular: $1.71
    Mid Grade: ARM
    Premium: LEG
    I meant in an economic sense of running the country. That proposal would destroy our country's economy (not to mention the rest of the modern world). We'd be third world. Russia would look like the promised land.

I agree that the government is grossly obiese. It does need to go on a drastic diet. But, it must be done gradually with the correct areas trimmed, or we're in for economic ruin.

Stay with me here. If there is a federally mandated formula for the entire country, gas prices EVERYWHERE will decrease and also be much less volatile.

That means YOU will pay less at the pump. So will I. We won't have a month where the price of gas doubles.

Just go with whatever formulation is the most stringent, whether it be the Chicago formula or LA formula. It could be used everywhere.

It's just common sense. Set a standard, and we can all benefit.

You have a great couple days off the working grind too.
  • allknowingallknowing Member Posts: 866
    Don't forget that approx. 30% - 50% of the price of gas is made up of State and Federal taxes. I am also no supporter of big government but I'll agree with CT that the Federal Regulations requiring oxygenation, like MTBE in my area of California, drive up cost too. Goof, extremist politicians, (like good ol' Gore) make rushed, un-researched decisions to include additives like MTBE. Additives like MTBE drive up the cost of fuel and typically pollute more than standard fuels. When they found out the MTBE was polluting our wells in California, the Federal Government, which is very concerned with the environment (Ha), still wouldn't back down in their requirement that we use the stuff. California had to threaten to sue before they backed down but the damage is already done and it will still be in use for another few years
    HA!

Keep the government out of the loop completely. Get rid of the taxes, and let free trade sort out the price. Competition will take care of that.

Once you accept that an individual or group should be able to use the power of the state to impose their belief on others, even in the absence of any direct impact on the person or property of another, you have accepted in principle the legitimacy of laws against firearm ownership, eating meat, worshiping the wrong G-d, or anything about which a sufficient number of people have strong feelings.

This all makes for happier truck owners.

Keep on truckin'!
    Up here in Alaska we were required to run MTBE in our gas in the winterabout 10 years ago.Turns out MTBE is basically reformulated alchohol well at -40 degrees alchohol freezes and does not burn so it started to pollute the air and people started to get sick from it next thing we know we dont need mtbe in the gas no more. Another funny thing aboiut that situation is the refinery said it would cost a dime to put mtbe in the gas then when it wasnt required they said it would cost another dime to take it out.
    but not every place! We are just talking Federal government here, not city, state, county..... Government, Government everywhere!
    I believe there needs to be government but this has gotten way out of hand. Take a look at your tax bills, for both state, federal, city... I believe there is going to be a revolution in this country in our lifetime. Not a bloody revolution, it will be decided by the voters.
    Enough on this topic.... I'm sure big brother is reading this and tracing everyone one of us down...
    I just noticed your comment "This kind of thinking is what will make the price of gas > $5/gal in a couple of years and cost us a fortune to power and heat our homes".

I guess you're too young to remember the phony gas shortages in the last years of Jimmy Carter. He fired staff member that, as they stated, refused to lower their estimates of oil reserves to the low level he expected. Even at that time, and with only the oil discovered at that point, they estimated that we had several hundred years worth in this country alone. Carter was about to implement mandatory gas rationing and would have if he had been re-elected. When Reagan was elected, whether you like him or not, the problem simply disappeared and the price of gas dropped incredibly because of real de-regulation and the extremely abundant supply of world oil. The abundant supply is still there and I doubt that gas will rise to the level you speak of anytime soon. If foreign oil prices go too high, it will spark drilling and re-open oil wells in this country. Many closed simply because foreign oil was cheaper. I don't think that it's a bad idea to look at alternate energy ideas but until they catch on, I don't see why we have to sacrifice our life style for phony fear tactics.
    Hey Buddy,
    I agree with your last post too except that I doubt that the government cares much what we think in this forum.
    I just noticed your comment "This kind of thinking is what will make the price of gas > $5/gal in a couple of years and cost us a fortune to power and heat our homes".

I guess you're too young to remember the phony gas shortages in the last years of Jimmy Carter. He fired staff member that, as they stated, refused to lower their estimates of oil reserves to the low level he expected. Even at that time, and with only the oil discovered at that point, they estimated that we had several hundred years worth in this country alone. Carter was about to implement mandatory gas rationing and would have if he had been re-elected. When Reagan was elected, whether you like him or not, the problem simply disappeared and the price of gas dropped incredibly because of real de-regulation and the extremely abundant supply of world oil. The abundant supply is still there and I doubt that gas will rise to the level you speak of anytime soon. If foreign oil prices go too high, it will spark drilling and re-open oil wells in this country. Many closed simply because foreign oil was cheaper. I don't think that it's a bad idea to look at alternate energy ideas but until they catch on, I don't see why we have to sacrifice our life style for phony fear tactics.
    May I also add that even though I don't like paying more for gas either, can you name another product that is still cheaper than it was 20 or so years ago? If it weren't for all of the taxes and price add-ons due to environmental regulations added since then, it would be about 50 cents cheaper in most states and no one would be complaining.
    My grammar corrections didn't work in my last post. That sucks.
    Saw a lot of it here and in Kansas. Just became not profitable and they shut the wells down.

Same with oil shale, not profitable.

Back to SUV's. . .
    As I stated, I have no use for the big ones, however, have no use for a Corvette either, both get worse mpg than my Ranger. Dont like to see them coming in a parking lot, too big and if parked by one cannot see out. But if someone wants to buy them, so be it. That is one of the rights we have here.

Oil is not a renewable resourse. However, there are enough reserves.

If the regulations change on trucks/SUV's, remember how the industry raised the mpg on cars. Use of cheaper parts, thinner metal, more plastic in panels and interior, all of which makes a vehicle lower in strength.

Do you want to see that in a truck?

Allknowing, let your afore mentioned senator know her idea is not good.
  • spoogspoog Member Posts: 1,224
    \\You guys buy that land out in Montana for your militia yet???\\

Haha Cthompson at least we agree on something.

And the only "fascism" around here is the kind displayed by the Supreme Court and certin people in the white house trying to ram an unpopular and right wing agenda down everyones throat.
    Trust me, my Senators rarely get my support on anything. Unfortunately I live in a State with little common sense.
    fascism:
    a political philosophy, movement, or regime (as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition.

Who wrote hundreds of executive orders in the last few days of office?
    Who sent the IRS after certain groups while letting other, lets just say Chicago based groups get away with shaking down busineses?
    Who always played the race card in any decision?

You need to read the definition before using the word spoog.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    But let's keep this one to Tacomas vs Rangers, OK?

Thanks!

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

• midnight_stangmidnight_stang Member Posts: 862
    Model Info: 2001 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 Ext. Cab
    Price Paid: 22000
    Strengths: There is a lot of interior room. The truck is very reliable in all of the snow.
    Weaknesses: NOTICE: The CROME is RUSTING!!!!! I purchased the truck brand new!!! It is only 4 months old and I have had to replace the bumper and all four of the rims!!!! I have spoke to two seperate dealerships, and they tell me
    that there is no reason to replace the rims because in a couple of months they will rust again. They also tell me that it does not matter how much to wash it or wax it. I can't imagine what else I will have to replace on the truck.
    Compared To: Although I enjoy the bodystyle of the Toyota, comparable trucks of Ford and Chevy are not rusting!!! They have been through the same wear and tear of my Toyota. They are made of better quality material. If you are going to invest your money, you might want to think twice.
    Review Summary: I really enjoy my Toyota, but it has been nothing but a hassel. I have spent a lot of time replacing pieces on my 4 month old truck. In four months I should not have to be concerned about what is going to rust next. My truck is under warrenty, but I wonder what else is defective on the veichle. If you have the time to spend waiting for replacement parts and like dealing with sales people, this would be the veichle for you. I am sure not all of the products are like mine, but the chance is up to you. I would not recommend purchasing a veichle that is not made of high quality material.

2001 Tacoma Prerunner 2.7L
    Price Paid: 16000
    Strengths: Good steering tracking. Decent composure on rough pavement. Prerunner looks meaner than WWF character. Design has aged well. Well-calibrated auto tranny.
    Weaknesses: Loud wind noise from rear window. Intermittent rattle from dash just like my 95 Tacoma. Skimpy clearcoat in places.
    Compared To: 4 cyl auto is peppier than '89 6-cyl 5-spd Ranger once owned, though noiser. Rear-end is much more composed on rough pavement than Rangers.
    Review Summary: Regular cab with 4cyl has decent power, even w/auto. Prerunner package, with big tires, rides better than expected. Get the bucket seats, not bench seat, if you can. Biggest gripe is noise -- even for a truck. Undercoating helps reduce tire howl, but engine and tranny buzz gets old fast. Rear sliding window installation looks haphazard and gaps produce whoosh that drowns out radio on interstate. And Toyota would you please pay better attention to dasboard assembly--same broken bracket as in my 95 Tacoma that caused same buzzy rattle. Somebody call the Camry engineers. Hurry.

2000 tacoma x cab 4x4
    Price Paid: 21000
    Strengths: power is good & interior features are nice
    Weaknesses: The rear springs are weak. Don't ever expect to put tools or equipment in the bed & expect it to drive right.
    Compared To: 1988 toyota 4x4 and 1993 toyota 4x4
    Review Summary: This is my 3rd Toyota 4x4 & is by far the worst. It is great from the cab foward, but the rear springs stink. I felt like I got good service from my dealer but the quality of the springs is poor. The truck rocks side to side going down the interstate like a boat in the middle of the lake. The other 2 toyotas were twice the truck this one is as far as suspension. I'm going to have to spend $500.00 dollars to try & fix the problem by getting additional leafs added. I have always been proud to own a toyota until now. The lst pickup had 200,000 miles & the 2nd 325,000 without a problem. I still own the 2nd pickup.

2000 Tacoma
    Price Paid: 19000
    Strengths: looks good, goes well in snow or off-road, as long as you manually shift the automatic transmission
    Weaknesses: no power, transmission noise and jolts, poor gas milage, bench seats are a nightmare, cd player defect, driver door rattles, overdrive is useless- you can not drive in overdrive except down hill, jumps in and out of gears
    Compared To: most recently a '92 4cyl. manuel ex. cab Tacoma
    Review Summary: Do yourself a favor and do not purchase a 4cyl. automatic ex. cab Tacoma. I have owned 6 Toyota's, I was a die hard fan until I tried to save some money on the 4cly. model.
    At 14,732 miles a new short block had to be put in the truck. The transmission klanks, bumps and jumps when you put it in gear now. pitiful gas milage!!! I am in arbitration with Toyota Inc. now.

Model Info: 2000 Tacoma PreRunner
    Price Paid: 15000
    Strengths: Reliability, style, maneuverability
    Weaknesses: No power, squeaks, rattles
    Compared To: 89 Toyota Truck, 91 Celica GTS
    Review Summary: I went from a 98 Dakota that was in the shop every 3000 miles for some problem or another, if it wasn't leaking oil the exhaust system was falling apart or the moon roof (dealer installed) was stuck open again. I went back to Toyota for my 3rd one, I had an 89 Truck and a 91 Celica GTS, both were of exceptional quality and build, no squeaks, rattles, problems, both were about 70k when I bought them and they both were over 120k when I sold them. Figured I couldn't go wrong with a new Toyota, wrong!!! The bed on the right rear side is deformed; no bed liner that Toyota put in would stay in the bed! Ended up getting a spray on liner. The truck has no power what so ever, I realize it's the 4cyl, but it is truly pathetic. Two bolts on the steering column have come loose twice now and Toyota says that's interesting, this truck has more rattles and squeaks than an 80 year old home. I will be trading this piece of crap in next summer for something of better quality. I expected this Toyota PreRunner to be at the same level of quality that I had with my previous 2, but it's no where near the level of quality. This thing makes me wish I still had my Dodge...if you can believe that, a Dodge....

Model Info: Tacoma 1999
    Strengths: good price, reliable
    Weaknesses: no warranty They charge for warranties, but their dealers won't honor them. They just keep your vehicle and give it back unrepaired
    Review Summary: Good truck, but the Toyota dealers won't honor their warranties. They don't repair their vehicles even when under warranty to make you buy a new one. They win in court since you can't prove that they didn't fix the problem

2000 Tacoma SR5 Pre-Runner 4X2
    Strengths: Reliable and great looks!!!!!
    Weaknesses: I hated this truck with a passion. I was my third new Toyota truck. I tried to reain loyal but...Never again. I should have got the 4X4. Expensive vehicle. The SR5 lacked the attention to detail that I used to like about Toyotas. The clock on the SR5 is positioned behind the 2 oclock position behind the steering wheel. Not only had to take eyes of the road but had to lower head and/or remove hand from steering wheel to check time. After 30 minutes in the driver seat I felt like I was being dumped forward. I tried to dismiss it but every time I would drive to Columbia I would get that uncomfortable feeling. The radio for the SR5 must have come out of a Cracker J
    Jack box. I live in Charlotte and could barely get any stations. The speakers must have cost Toyota $1.00 for the whole set. The V-6 still did not have enough power. Toyota was rude when I asked them if I could add a TRD locking diff to the truck. They told me it could not be done. The truck was horrible on a gravel road. I was afraid to turn around because it would get stuck easily. The cruise control was terrible. Dealer told me I could not get an under-the-rail bedliner. I had to consider having the top cut off of my bedliner to accomidate a truck cover. I could go on and on about why I hate Toyota trucks but I will stop. I now have a 1997 Ford F150 4X4 that I like a lot. Terrible gas mileage.
    Compared To: I've had 3 trucks in my life and all have been Toyotas. Too many Toyotas and Nissans. I got rid of em all.
    Review Summary: $24,000 was the list. I would strongly discourage anyone from buying a late model Tacoma. Overpriced, overpriced and overpriced. Toyota lost focus on the 99 4X2 SR5 Tacoma Prerunner. You know, a truck that "looks like it can go off road should at least be able to have some fun without fear of getting stuck in the slightest of dips in the road. I am a common breed of truck buyer. I like features and value. Attention to detail is important to me. By the way I have owned nothing but Toyotas and Nissans ever since I was old enough to think for myself. I've seen Toyota and Nissan at their best and now I am seeing them loose reputation. It is with sadness that I changed my loyality to Chevy and Ford. What a turnaround. I love my new Corvette and my Ford 4x4.

This is my tribute to spoog! But all these reviews were made THIS YEAR. :)

I can feel the flames a commin'! Just remember for every rule there is an exception. Ford's gets a lot a grief, but they do sell More trucks, but does that mean that they have a greater percentage of problems? Not necessarily... Now Taco fans know what it's like to be on the receiving end. :)
    I don't recall any Tacoma owners here claiming that Toyota is perfect or that the Tacoma is the best truck for everyone. If it was the best truck for everyone, there wouldn't be any Ford fanatics like yourself for spoog to argue with.
  • spoogspoog Member Posts: 1,224
    http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/complain/compmmy5.cfm

ODI ID: 744032

Make: FORD TRUCK

Model: RANGER

Year: 2001

Date of Failure: Wednesday, April 11, 2001

Incident: No

Fire: No

Number of Injuries: 0

Component: POWER TRAIN:TRANSMISSION:AUTOMATIC

Summary: WHILE DRIVING BETWEEN MY JOB IN BUFFALO, NY, AND MY HOME IN LEXINGTON, OH, I SUFFERED A COMPLETE TRANSMISSION FAILURE AND WAS FORCED TO LIMP INTO A LOCAL FORD T

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ODI ID: 885481

Date of Failure: Monday, April 02, 2001

Number of Injuries:

Component: FUEL:THROTTLE LINKAGES AND CONTROL

Summary: CONSUMER WAS DRIVING AT APPROXIMATELY 65 MPH WHEN RPMS JUMPED FROM 2800 TO 5000 FOR ABOUT 3 SECONDS, IT OCCURRED 3 TIMES IN 30 MINUTES. HAS HAPPENED SEVERAL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ODI ID: 885481

Date of Failure: Monday, April 02, 2001

Number of Injuries:

Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:INSTRUMENT PANEL:COMPUTER COMMAND CONTROL MODULE

Summary: CONSUMER WAS DRIVING AT APPROXIMATELY 65 MPH WHEN RPMS JUMPED FROM 2800 TO 5000 FOR ABOUT 3 SECONDS, IT OCCURRED 3 TIMES IN 30 MINUTES. HAS HAPPENED SEVERAL

ODI ID: 883315

Date of Failure: Sunday, March 18, 2001

Number of Injuries:

Component: STRUCTURE:DOOR ASSEMBLY:LATCHES AND LOCKS

Summary: DOOR WILL CLOSE, BUT WILL NOT REMAIN SECURE , IT OPENS WHEN CONSUMER DRIVES AROUND A SHARP TURN. PLEASE PROVIDE ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION. *AK

ODI ID: 741652

Date of Failure: Monday, January 22, 2001

Number of Injuries: 3

Component: INTERIOR SYSTEMS:PASSENGER RESTRAINTS:AIR BAG:FRONTAL

Summary: WAS HIT HEAD ON AIR BAGS DID NOT WORK. *AK

ODI ID: 877344

Date of Failure: Monday, January 01, 2001

Incident: Yes

Number of Injuries:

Component: BRAKES:HYDRAULIC:ANTI-SKID SYSTEM

Summary: WHILE DRIVING 65 MP CONSUMER HAD TO APPLY BRAKES, AND THEY LOCKED UP. WOULD NOT RELEASE UNTIL ENGINE WAS SHUT OFF. DUE TO ABS LOCKING UP, VEHICLE SPUN AND HIT

ODI ID: 743113

Date of Failure: Monday, November 27, 2000

Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION

Summary: THIS PROBLEM IS CAUSED BY MEMORY SHORTING IN THE ENGINE COMPUTER AND IS PARTIALLY CORRECTED BY DISCONNECTING POS BATTERY TERMINAL SWITCHING IGNITION ON/OF SEVER

ODI ID: 738475

Date of Failure: Monday, November 20, 2000

Component: FUEL:FUEL TANK ASSEMBLY:TANK

Summary: FUEL TANK OVER FLOWS WHEN FILLED, CAUSING GAS TO RUN ONTO THE GROUND. THIS. IN TURN, CREATES A SERIOUS FIRE HAZARD. *AK

ODI ID: 737356

Date of Failure: Saturday, November 11, 2000

Component: FUEL:FUEL TANK ASSEMBLY:GAUGE:FUEL

Summary: FUEL TANK LEVEL SENSOR DOES NOT ACCURATELY INDICATE LEVEL. FORD CLAIMS THEY KNOW ABOUT THIS PROBLEM BUT CANNOT TELL ME WHEN THEY WILL PROVIDE A REPLACEMENT PAR

ODI ID: 558935

Date of Failure:

Number of Injuries:

Component: TIRES:EMERGENCY SPARE TIRE

Summary: THE VEHICLE CAME EQUIPPED WITH A SPARE TIRE THAT WAS NOT THE SAME SIZE OF THE TIRES THAT WERE ALREADY ON THE VEHICLE, ALSO THE SPARE TIRE DOES NOT FIT PROPERLY

ODI ID: 885415

Date of Failure:

Number of Injuries:

Component: INTERIOR SYSTEMS:ACTIVE RESTRAINTS:BELT BUCKLES

Summary: DRIVER 'S SEAT BELT DOES NOT LATCH INTO LOCKING MECHANISM. *AK

ODI ID: 885422

Date of Failure:

Number of Injuries:

Component: INTERIOR SYSTEMS:ACTIVE RESTRAINTS:BELT BUCKLES

Summary: DRIVER'S SEAT BELT BUCKLE DOES NOT LOCK INTO LATCH MECHANISM. PLEASE GIVE ANY FURTHER DETAILS.*AK

• bessbess Member Posts: 972
    Why not just goto a local car dealer, (any brand) and post the problems that people report there every day..
    Basically thats exactly what your doing.. Not to mention that even your posts point out the fact that the particular source for the information you are presenting double counts problems.. (see how 885481 is counted twice).

What your posting is no more helpful than a Toyota fan going to tundrasolutions.com and repeating all of the problems folks report there.
    "The total number of records returned does not necessarily reflect the number of problems or issues identified by the manufacturer with respect to the item covered by the search. In some instances, manufacturers reissue a bulletin or send follow-up bulletins to their dealers."

Like duplicates?

I did find these. . .

ODI ID: 742001 Component: INTERIOR SYSTEMS:PASSENGER RESTRAINTS:AIR BAG:FRONTAL

ODI ID: 886326 Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION ANTI-THEFT CONTROLLER

ODI ID: 879102 Component: SUSPENSION:INDEPENDENT FRONT

ODI ID: 738253 Component: SUSPENSION:SINGLE AXLE:REAR

ODI ID: 742304 Component: TIRES

ODI ID: 741753 Component: LIGHTING:FLASHER:TURN SIGNAL

ODI ID: 739917 Component: INTERIOR SYSTEMS:PASSIVE RESTRAINT:AIR BAG:SIDE DOOR

ODI ID: 876171 Component: INTERIOR SYSTEMS:PASSENGER RESTRAINTS:AIR BAG:FRONTAL:PASSENGER

ODI ID: 738654 Component: TIRES

ODI ID: 875331 Component: TIRES:TREAD

ODI ID: 736038 Component: VISUAL SYSTEMS:SUN ROOF ASSEMBLY

ODI ID: 736456 Component: INTERIOR SYSTEMS:PASSENGER RESTRAINTS:AIR BAG:FRONTAL

ODI ID: 731378 Component: TIRE

ODI ID: 870009 Component: TIRES:TREAD

ODI ID: 742441 Component: FUEL:THROTTLE LINKAGES AND CONTROL

ODI ID: 742441 Component: POWER TRAIN:TRANSMISSION:AUTOMATIC

ODI ID: 864549 Component: POWER TRAIN:TRANSMISSION:AUTOMATIC:INTERLOCK SYSTEM

ODI ID: 721551

Make: TOYOTA TRUCK Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:WIRING:HARNESS:FRONT:UNDERHOOD

Summary: VEHICLE CAUGHT ON FIRE SITTING IN DRIVEWAY. . .

There were more...got bored...

Whats with all the tire problems?

Sounds like an

EXPLORER. . .

I just saw the stepside Tacoma for the first time. It's pretty sharp looking.
    saw one last week, not too bad looking.

I think that style is a great addition to the Tacoma line.
    Tire problems(28% of your post)? People know what a non-full size spare means, right? Tread problems? Since when did Ford manufacture tires? Any customer can mess up their tread in 7 days, burnouts, brake lock up, curb checking, donuts, etc all atribute to that.

Fuel overflow? Next time don't top off the damn tank. :)

That fuel level quirk is a problem, albeit MINOR one. Doesn't affect the truck much though. Anybody should be experienced enough to know how many miles to go until fill up. Besides in a truck a little extra weight in the rear always helps for traction. This is only a problem in you have a 2 hour commute each day.

Air bags only deploy under strict accident conditions. Ranger's are known for their rigid structure and great roll over protection. I can post just as many stories on people surviving virtually unscathed when their ranger was hit, rolled over, and completely demolished. However, the cab remained sound, and the people lived because of the ranger. This is why it weights more, because we got more steel holding it together.

I didn't know sun roofs came in Rangers... Maybe I'm missing something?

Toyota's problems:
    Summary: ANOTHER VEHICLE FAILED TO YIELD RIGHT OF WAY AND I T-BONED THEM AT 30 MPH. AIRBAG FAILED TO DEPLOY, AND FLORIDA HIGHWAY PATROL OFFICER WAS VERY CONCERNED, AS
    Summary: ANOTHER VEHICLE FAILED TO YIELD RIGHT OF WAY AND I T-BONED THEM AT 30 MPH. AIRBAG FAILED TO DEPLOY, AND FLORIDA HIGHWAY PATROL OFFICER WAS VERY CONCERNED, AS
    Component: SUSPENSION:SINGLE AXLE:REAR
    Summary: PAYLOAD RATED AT 1674/LBS ACCORDING TO THE SALES BROCHURE AND SALEMAN. WE ADVISED THE TRUCK WILL BE USED FOR DELIVERIES OF 600-1200/LBS. LOADED 800/LBS AND THE
    Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION ANTI-THEFT CONTROLLER
    Summary: INTERMITTENTLY ALARM SYSTEM WILL NOT OPEN VEHICLE . VEHICLE BEEN IN / OUT OF DEALER SHOP ON FIVE OCCASION S,AND PROBLEM STILL REOCCURRING. FEEL FREE TO PROV

Looks like the same stuff... Too bad they only give you so much, I think the actual customer comments are much more valuable, as they give the good and bad. Plus how toyota responded...
    "Fuel overflow? Next time don't top off the damn tank."

Duh!? What do they think, people are idiots? Oh yeah, I guess so. Develop a "false tank" which when it seems full, just spills back into itself?

"...Anybody should be experienced enough to know how many miles to go until fill up. Besides in a truck a little extra weight in the rear always helps for traction. This is only a problem in you have a 2 hour commute each day."

If you have a 2 hour commute, you might consider something other than a truck anyhow and this becomes a non-problem.
    The second item : AIR BAG:FRONTAL
    should of read as follows

Component: SUSPENSION:INDEPENDENT FRONT
    Summary: CONSUMER WAS TRAVELING IN RAINY CONDITIONS AT 20MPH AND WITHOUT ACCELERATION FRONT SLID ACROSS ROAD INTO ANOTHER VEHICLE. NO INJURIES. TOYOTA HAS INSPECTED VEH

All of the above items were from 2001 Tacoma's...
  • ebbgreatdaneebbgreatdane Member Posts: 278
    I saw today a late model Ford Ranger on a Tow truck. From the back it looked fine till I passed it. The entire hood, front coweling, and driver side fender were charcoal. There were no visual impacts.

I'll stick with Toyota. Mine will be here in 3 weeks minus the fire.

BTW Gas for me in the Bay Area, CA:

87 Octane - $1.87
    89 Octane - $1.95
    92 Octane - $2.10

You can up those prices if you go near the Silicon Valley or San Francisco.

John
  • ebbgreatdaneebbgreatdane Member Posts: 278
    I would never suggest the government should control what Americans should buy. I do think Americans should demand that their automakers strive to adopt technology that will save on the amount gas vehicles consume.

Everyone owning a car has to be the most ineffecient method of transportation every conceived in the history of man. Why not make it more effecient since, however ineffiecient, the public still wants it.

My Dad's 1979 Chevy Blazer got 10/15 City/Highway. The Ford Eddie Bauer 4X4 5.4 Expedition gets 12/17. We are moving forward in time, right?

On a Tacoma-Ranger note:

Tacoma V6 17/20
    Ramger V6 15/19

I haven't checked the specs but doesn't the F150 4.6 V8 get 15/19?

John
    3.0? SOHC 4.0? or old 4.0? 5spd? or automatic? Why don't you post the HP/Torque specs also?
    Its amazing how numbers can be manipulated until you see the entire truth.
    Allknowing, backstepping huh? You have claimed over and over the Tacoma is "superior" to the Ranger and is soooooo much more reliable...
    Egg, thats funny, today I saw a Toyota in the emergency lane, hood up and liquid leaking onto the pavement....OOOHHH what a feeling.....
  • smgillessmgilles Member Posts: 252
    http://www.carreview.com/reviews/pickup_trucks/index_byrating.shtml

These are ratings by people who actually buy and drive them to work, to play, and what ever else they do. As you notice Tacoma is #1 out 15 trucks listed and Ranger is #10. These are real people, not magazine writers or anyone else who is biased or bought off. I guess we are all morons for driving the #1 rated, not #1 selling truck. Just remember things of quality cost real money but there is always a means to an end. 99% of us Tacoma drivers know what that is!

This discussion has been closed.