Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Lease Questions

Comments

• CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi rehab702. ford Credit's March base lease rate and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 Ford Explorer XLT FWD with 12,000 miles per year are 0.25% to 0.75% (the exact rate varies by region) and 56%.

The numbers are the same for the AWD model.

Ford is providing anywhere from $750 to $2,000 in cash incentives on leases of this truck. Again, the exact amount depends upon what state you are in.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Hi salsport. The truck that you are interested in probably has a spread of $2,700 or so between its full MSRP and dealer invoice price. If we add the $2,000 cash incentive that Ford is providing on leases of this truck in its New York region and the $1,000 loyalty cash for current Ford Credit lessees to that you have a total of around $5,700 to play with in your negotiations. Let's say that you are able to negotiate a total discount of $5,200 on this truck and work up a payment from there.

According to my calculations, using those prices this truck would have 36-month, 13,500 mile per year, a zero down, pre-tax monthly payment of around $394. Again this is a good deal and it's before tax, so you will likely be a little over $400 on anything that you get.

I've seen the '13 Explorer Sport as being rated 16 / 22 on gas mileage. That's better than your Mountaineer, but not amazing by any stretch of the imagination.

Car_man
    Host
    Yes, a lease rate of 0.25% does convert into a money factor of around .00010.

Car_man
    Host
  • rehab702rehab702 Member Posts: 14
    Finished a deal on an Explorer XLT

Details:
    XLT
    202A
    Navigation
    Power Lift Gate
    Trailer Tow Pkg

MSRP: 37,685

Selling Price: 35,704.69 (x-plan)

Lease Fee: 645
    Doc Fee: 100
    Title: 28.25
    RCL Rebate (1,750)
    Lease Conquest (1,000)

Down: 2,000 + 325.45 (1st pmt)

Net Capitalized Cost: 31,920.27

36 months / 10500 miles
    Payment = 301.06 + 24.39 tax = 325.45

Residual = 57%
    Lease Rate = 0.50%
    Hi rehab702. Ford Credit's March base lease rate and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 Explorer XLT FWD with 12,000 miles per year in Nevada are 0.5% and 56%.

I think that Ford is providing a $1,750 cash incentive on leases of this truck in your area right now.

Car_man
    Host
    Congratulations on getting your new Explorer, fracking. Thanks for taking the time to share the details with everyone. Enjoy!

Car_man
    Host
    Hi toast2. Ford Credit's March base lease rate and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 Explorer Sport in the Los Angeles area with 15,000 miles per year are 0.75% and 55%.

Ford is providing a $1,500 cash incentive on leases of this truck in your area right now.

I personally would not buy pre-paid maintenance on any leased vehicle other than an Audi. All I ever do in terms of maintenance on a lease is change the oil every couple thousand miles and perhaps rotate the tires. I usually don't even go to the dealer to do that. Pre-paid maintenance on leased vehicles is usually a waste.

The end of the year, i.e. December, is usually a very good time to get a new vehicle, but you probably want to get one sooner than that. It's difficult to say whether the April deals will be better than the ones that are available right now. If I had to make an educated guess, I personally would say that the April programs will be at least as aggressive as the current ones, perhaps better, but again no one knows for certain what they'll be like at this point.

Car_man
    Host
  • evahnulahmevahnulahm Member Posts: 19
    Hi Carman, can you give me the MF and Residual for a 36 month 12K per year lease on an Explorer Sport in South Carolina?

Thanks
  • evahnulahmevahnulahm Member Posts: 19
    So I got the Lease info for South Carolina from a local dealer and I have some questions about the Lease fee. Here are the details. I was quoted a lease fee of 695 from Ford. Is that a standard non negotiable fee?

For anyone else, the APR is .25 or about .000104 MF and residual is 57% for a 36 month/12K miles per year on the Explorer Sport.
  • psoricapsorica Member Posts: 15
    Hi Carman,

I’m trying to understand this process… and I have way too many numbers circling around in my head.

Could you provide the lease rate, MF and residual rate for Florida? Also, do you know anything about whether the tax is rolled back into the capitalized cost or if we simply pay tax in the monthly payment? I'm getting so confused with all the details. We're also considering other cars. But right now we're looking at an Explorer XLT, don't want to pay more than a little over invoice,

$30,500,
    plus options $6152-$720 discount: $5,432 for options
    $895 destination

$36,827
    Is this where we would add in the acquisition fee, any advertising fee, and tax? Or are these paid as part of inceptions, due at lease signing?

3,925 in rebates - $2,000 cust cash, $425, for first month payment, $1000 lease conquest, $500 college grad

$32,902 est cap cost

Should we put money down or just use the money to pay for inceptions? I guess if the acquisition, advertising and tax are rolled back into the capitalized costs, then put a down payment? If not, use the money for inceptions? But don’t we pay tax on any money we put down? Is it better just to not put money down and cover the fees and taxes thru inceptions?

If I calculate the Adjusted Cap at $32,902, (no money down, no acquisition, advertising or tax included), using the .25 lease rate (MF .0001), and residual at 56%, MSRP $39,905, residual $22,346.80, term 36 months….

I get a depreciation fee of $293.20, finance fee of $5.25, which equals $298.73 plus 6% tax equals $316.65 total monthly payment… Is that correct?

I don’t have the acquisition fee, advertising fee, doc fees, tax, tag or registration fees, yet. So I cannot calculate what the inception, due at signing amount would be. Do you know what any of these fees might be, or where I can find the info?

Also, again, do you suggest paying these fees upfront as inceptions or rolling them back into capitalized costs? If you roll the tax back in, is it part of gross cap cost, which equals tax rate X (base monthly lease payment X term)… 6% multiplied by $298.73, multiplied by term 36 months… $645.25?

Wouldn’t that change the monthly payment to $316.71 base, plus tax $335.71?
    And if I estimate acquisition at $595, doc at $250, advertising at $595, that would change the monthly to

$351.12 depreciation, $5.73 finance fee, equals $356.85, plus tax $378.27

In that case, is it better to cover the $2085.25 at inception, at get the lower payment of $316.65… or roll it all in and pay the $378.27 every month… or is it $356.85 because the tax was rolled back into capitalized cost?

If we put $1500 down, with those fees rolled into cap cost, we’d be at #315.05, plus tax $333.94?

Sorry for so many questions, but I’m trying to understand how this all works.

Thanks for any and all insights.
  • jdadamsjrjdadamsjr Member Posts: 16
    black 13 Sport with 402a , 2nd row buckets, moonroof, and tow pkg... listed right $49k (higher than the 11 Audi Q5 Prem_ we traded in !)

39 mth 19.5k miles for $497/mth....

good or bad, it is what it is
    priced an extended warranty in the 5 to 700 range to cover the 36k thru 63k we'll probably put on it !

Wife is excited about her new car !
  • toast2toast2 Member Posts: 6
    $497 with tax sounds about right if thats with tax?
    post down payment, residual, MF...
  • bd1203bd1203 Member Posts: 1
    Where was this lease from? What numbers did you end up with? I am looking at a lease for nearly the same Explorer Sport, and with nothing down except first payment, the dealer is quoting $612/month.
  • battengdbattengd Member Posts: 2
    Hey There-
    I'm looking to lease an Explorer in Michigan, and am contemplating both XLT and Limited models. What are MF and Residual for both Limited and XLT. I'm looking at 3 year and 12,000 miles a year. I have Lease conquest rebate, and I believe 1,5000 cash rebates. Is there a reason I should consider one more than the other? Sticker price just about identical....

Thanks Car Man....
  • psoricapsorica Member Posts: 15
    We just did a deal for a factory ordered vehicle because we couldn't find any dealerships in Florida that had a vehicle we wanted.

XLT 202A package, Oxford white, black leather interior, splash guard, power lift gate, dual panel moonroof, rear bumper protector, 20" polished aluminum wheels, BLIS plus inflatable rear seatbelt package, voice activated navigation... We may add the alarm system later

MSRP: 40,770
    Selling price: 38,344 - about 94% of MSRP, we requested 93%, a fair fair market value
    Rebates: $3425 - includes $2000 lease conquest, $2425 standard
    Interest rate: .25 - MF .0001042
    Residual: 57% - 23,238.90

36 months/10,500 miles

We decided to cover some inception costs at $873.08, because to roll it back in to the payments would be at a cost of an extra $26 month, and to cover it now is about $24 a month...

Final monthly $336 plus tax (6%) $356...

The deal could've been a little better at $344 total per month, but at $12 difference from where we felt we should've been, we're ok with that because we get exactly the features, interior and exterior that we wanted. And the shopping process is OVER!! What a relief. Now I can sleep easy.
  • sdap9sdap9 Member Posts: 4
    Just got a offer for 2013 Explorer Sport Ruby Red with 402a package, moon roof

MSRP - $47870
    Trade in - $5000
    Incentives - $2750
    MF - .25%
    Lease term - 36 mo

They quoted $460/incl of taxes (7%) and Title, Reg and other fees

Please let me know if this is good.
  • green69green69 Member Posts: 17
    $460.00 may sound like a good payment, but you need to remember your trade is just like cash down... If they are giving you $5,000.00 for your trade-in, that actually equates to about $150.00 a month. Rule of thumb is : For every $1,000 you either increase the cost of the car or decrease the cost via putting money down, this will change your payment about, (approx.) $30.00 per month on a 36 month lease.
    That said, without a trade of $5,000.00 dollars, you would be paying $610.00
    a month! I think you can do better.
    Thanks for the info. Got revised quote. $408/15k 36 mo. with 5k down.
    Can i get better than this?
  • fordbuyer2fordbuyer2 Member Posts: 3
    Hi Car_man,

Would you be able to provide the April residual and base lease rate for a 12,000 mi/yr, 36 month lease on an AWD Explorer XLT?

Thanks!
  • green69green69 Member Posts: 17
    Much better! Sounds like a good deal now!
  • briz12briz12 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Car_man

I'm looking at a 13 Explorer Limited. Do you know what the rate and residual would run for 39 mos on a 15000 mile lease in Texas?

Thank you
  • toast2toast2 Member Posts: 6
    Car_man could please post April lease rates for 2013 Explorer Sport 15k - Thank you.
  • katrinag82katrinag82 Member Posts: 1
    Hi sdap9,
    I was wondering if you would be able to tell me what state you are living in. I am looking for almost the same thing and am curious as to if that would be reasonable for where I am located (CA).
    Thanks!
  • mister_billmister_bill Member Posts: 1
    Ditto for me - looking at 2013 Explorer sport with 12k, 36 mo in Denver, CO area.
    April incentives too?
    Thanks!
    Hi Katrinag82

I live in NJ. Unfortunately i could not get the EX sport as before we finalized the deal someone had put in a deposit on it. Waiting for other Sports to come in to the dealership...
    Hey battengd. Ford Credit's base lease rate and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 Explorer Limited 4WD with 12,000 miles per year in Detroit are 1.0% and 53%.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a 2013 Explorer XLT 4WD are 1.0% and 55%.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi fordbuyer2. Ford Credit's April base lease rate and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 Explorer XLT AWD with 12,000 miles per year are 0.75% to 1.25% (they vary by region) and 55%.

There is a $1,500 to $2,000 cash incentive on leases of this truck through Ford Credit this month. Again the exact amount varies depending upon which one of Ford's regions you are in.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi briz12. Ford Credit's April base lease rate and residual value for a 39-month lease of a 2013 Explorer Limited 2WD with 15,000 miles per year in Texas are 1.25% and 48%.

There is a $1,750 cash incentive on leases of this truck in your area this month.

Car_man
    Host
    Greetings toast2. Ford Credit's April base lease rate and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 Explorer Sport 4WD with 15,000 miles per year are 0.75% to 1.25% (they vary by region) and 54%.

There is a $1,500 to $2,000 cash incentive on leases of this truck, again varying by region.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi mister_bill. Ford Credit's April base lease rate and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 Explorer Sport 4WD with 12,000 miles per year in the Denver region are 1.0% and 56%.

There is a $1,750 cash incentive on leases of this truck in your area right now.

Car_man
    Host
  • dnl2dnl2 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2013
    Hi Car_man,

We're looking for confirmation of Ford Credit's April base lease rate and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 Explorer Limited 4WD with 10,500 miles/yr in the Charlotte, NC area. We were told by a dealership that these were 1.75% and 54%--both of which are fixed (i.e., non-negotiable) by FMCC. Thanks in advance.
  • hrj2112hrj2112 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2013
    Hi, Car_Man,

I live in Southern California and am looking at the Explorer 4x4 Limited with the 301A package or the 4x4 Sport with the 400A package. I receive a fleet discount through my employer, am a recent college grad, and in my area $2k cash rebate is being offered. I wanted to know what the lease rate, residual would be for both vehicles in my area?

The quote so far I received from one dealer for the Limited was too high and won't take, but is as follows:
    - MSRP: $47,025
    - Price w/ discounts: $44,405
    - 10.5k miles/year
    - $1500 up front cost
    - $498 plus tax equaling $544 a month for 39 months

I don't think the dealer factored in all the discounts in the price of the car. This is the first quote received for the Limited, but again I am also looking at the Sport model.

Thanks
  • loudubeloudube Member Posts: 7
    CarMan, can you please tell me the residuals and finance rates on a 24 month 12k lease?
  • fulano82fulano82 Member Posts: 6
    I just ordered my 2013 Ford Explorer Sport on monday. Options on the explorer are only dual sun roof and power lift gate. Got quoted at $513 a month for 36 months 10,500 miles per year. Just $592 due when SUV is delivered. Did i get a good deal? salesman said i the vehicle will be delivered within 4 to 5 weeks. I seen other forums where people have waited for for than 2 months.
  • charles603charles603 Member Posts: 14
    2013 Ford Explorer XLT Lease Rates - NJHello, I live in NJ and am trying to lease a 2013 XLT + 202A pkg, 12k miles, 36 Months. Can you please confirm the current lease incentives and when they expire. Also residual value, Money Factor / Lease Rate. Unfortunately the 2 dealers that I have spoken with have jacked up the pricing so much that it is not even relevant. I am shopping around but want to confirm the specifics above prior to my discussion with the next saleman, as no one can tell you how they arrive at the "great price" that they are giving you.
  • jdadamsjrjdadamsjr Member Posts: 16
    Unfortunately for the wife, she just saw two sports just like her's this morning -
    They are getting popular as the public learns how nice they are :)

All you can do is shop around, get on one of the car pricing sites and submit exactly what you want to multiple dealers and be ready to move when you find the one you want...

If you've got time, call the ford marketing group and request a brochure,
    they will send you one with a $750 voucher (I'm not sure how long that will last though!)

And go to ford.com for the incentives and rates - it's public knowledge for your region and date range...

good luck in your search !
    Hi loudube. Ford Credit's May base lease rate and residual value for a 24-month lease of a 2013 Explorer Limited AWD with 12,000 miles per year are 0.5% and 62%.

Ford is providing a cash incentive of $1,500 to $2,000 on leases of this truck. The exact amount varies by region.

Car_man
    Host
    Hello charles603. Ford Credit's May base lease rate and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 Explorer XLT AWD with 12,000 miles per year in the New York area are 0.75% and 55%.

Ford is providing a $2,000 cash incentive on leases of this truck in your area right now.

Car_man
    Host
  • tommyp1tommyp1 Member Posts: 4
    I'll be buying an Explorer Limited in Maryland this weekend.

After agreeing on the final price and trade in value, I'll be looking at leasing for 3 years at either 12,000 or 15,000 miles per year.

Can anyone tell me the money rate and residual percent in Maryland for Ford dealers on Explorer Limiteds for those two different levels of allowed miles per year? And is that all ill need to " check " the dealers math?
    Car man

Any help here? :)
    Purchased a new 2013 limited Explorer AWD, Streling Gray with Black interior, package 301A, duel moonroof, 20" Polished Wheels, 2nd row bucket seats with 2nd row console and all weather floor mats.

MSRP was 46,710, got the 2,000 Ford incentive, the 750 credit for requesting a brochure on line, and a discount of 1,582.84.

Net price was 42,377.16

My trade yielded a positive 4,937, more than I anticipated.

So adjusted capitalized cost was 37,439, for a 3 year lease atm15,000 miles per year, the residual value was 51% ( 23,882).

Monthly payments are 397.31 So, I'm guessing the money factor was .001217

Does this sound like a fair deal
    I should add that there was 1,117 in other fees too embedded in the trans action (645 acquisition fee, 200 doc fee and. 272 title fee) , but that is all lumped into the 42,377 selling price, so I guess you could say SUV sold for 41,261
  • npurvisnpurvis Member Posts: 13
    Car Man - Please provide me the June (if they're available yet) incentives for an Explorer Limited FWD and the Explore XLT FWD, as well as the money factor and residual for 12,000 miles. Also, should I expect to get an Explore for just barely above invoice (before deducting incentives which would bring it below)? I've been following your forum for a while, but this is my first post. I really appreciate it!!!
    Car_Man -

Do you have the June cash incentives for an Explorer Limited FWD and the Explore XLT FWD, as well as the money factor and residual for 12,000 miles. Also, should I expect to get an Explorer for just barely above invoice (before deducting incentives which would bring it below)? I've been following your forum for a while, and I really appreciate your help.

Thanks!
  • joeystiffs19joeystiffs19 Member Posts: 43
    Car Man,

Can you please post the June lease rate and residuals for a 2013 Explorer XLT AWD with 202a pkg, 20 inch wheels, navigation, sunroof. Looking at 36 months and 10,500 miles
    Car_Man -

Do you have the June cash incentives for an Explorer Limited FWD and the Explore XLT FWD, as well as the money factor and residual for 12,000 miles. Also, should I expect to get an Explorer for just barely above invoice (before deducting incentives which would bring it below)? I've been following your forum for a while, and I really appreciate your help.

Thanks!
    Thanks for reading npurvis. Ford Credit's June base lease rate and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 Explorer Limited FWD with 12,000 miles per year are 0.75% to 1.25% (varies by region) and 55%.

Ford is providing a $1,500 to $2,000 cash incentive on leases of this truck right now. Again, the exact amount varies by region.

I personally wouldn't pay more than a couple hundred over invoice minus incentives for an Explorer. There's so much competition out there that you should be able to do that.

Car_man
    Host
    Greetings joeystiffs19. Ford Credit's June base lease rate and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 Explorer XLT AWD with 10,500 miles per year are 0.75% to 1.25% (the exact rate varies by region) and 56%.

Ford is currently providing a cash incentive of $1,500 to $2,000 on leases of this truck, which again varies by region.

Car_man
    Host
    Thanks! I also have a qualifying conquest lease, and I think Ford is offering $1000-$1500 in conquest cash. Is this in addition to ( or combinable with) these incentives? I'm in south florida if that helps. Thank you.
  • ph__7ph__7 Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2013
    I've had good luck with BMW in negotiating the purchase of my vehicle at the conclusion of my lease at below residual prices. I like the flexibility of this approach, and the numbers are usually superior to a straight up purchase financing, because you get two chances to negotiate a lower price. It also provides the option to easily release a car that has problems or no longer meets your needs.

So, I'm about to buy or lease a 2014 Explorer Sport. Anyone have experience with negotiating a less than residual purchase post lease with Form Motor? How flexible are they? BMW took almost 10% off the lease residual price when I bought my 535 at the end of its lease.
This discussion has been closed.