Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

TOYOTA TACOMA vs FORD RANGER- Part XI

Comments

• indacurl2kindacurl2k Member Posts: 54
    It seems the Ranger (Sport Trac) is on par with the Tacoma in terms of speed and hauling according to CR. Okay so it takes the Tacoma another 3.6 seconds to get to, what 50 mph, while towing 5000 lbs; big deal. I'm sure the Tacoma is only slightly better than the Ranger in fuel economy so I won't even go there.

Vince, the Tacoma may be SECOND in HP & Torque; but judging by those stats what difference does it make? The Ranger is NOT a better truck just because it has a more powerful engine. It apparently NEEDS THAT ADDITIONAL POWER TO KEEP UP WITH THE TACOMA. So please stop trying to make the Ranger out to have some kind of major advantage over Tacoma based on engine comparison because it just isn't so.

The two trucks are very close and I have to agree with you Vince, the Tacoma is a SLIGHTLY better truck. But it's still BETTER than the Ranger.

Now, all this "my truck is the best" BS is silly, to say the least, and I think we all kind of agree. I've said it in the past and I'll reiterate; to each his own. Some people prefer the Ranger and others prefer the Tacoma. Tacoma fans will never convince Ranger fans that the Tacoma is better and vice-versa. It all boils down to personal preference. So enjoy your pickup truck, whatever you're driving. I hope you have minimal problems and put 1,000,000 miles/kilometers on it.
  • smgillessmgilles Member Posts: 252
    Well Said!
  • frey44frey44 Member Posts: 230
    "value" is in the eye of the beholder. i now, after my bad Ranger experiences, realize that "more truck for less money" is a specious argument if you get a lemon. so, for me, a taco [assuming that i wouldn't have gotten a lemon]even at 4 grand more, would have been worth it. i am not "anti-American" vehicles, as tacos ARE american vehicles. i still stand by my post that toyota quality is better. i would say the same about my Honda civic, also, versus other small cars. good luck: thanks for being respectful. i agree with the poster that you should work for Ford, if you don't already ! you would be a good PR man in a sales dept.
  • smc13smc13 Member Posts: 52
    I am bored at work so I am looking through the web. I noticed that Ranger sales have been down for the year while taco sales have been up. I am betting that it is because of the firestone pr problems and nothing to do with the rangers themselves but it is still interesting.

http://www.autosite.com/editoria/asmr/svolpu.asp

• remainedsilentremainedsilent Member Posts: 9
    I was just trying to stir things up with an alter ego. The recall comment was just to get a reaction Mr. Stang. I've had a few recalls on my 98 but I get the recalls confused with the Explorer I drive sometimes which has had, I believe, eight recalls so far since 98.
    CP - The Ranger is gaining a loyal following and probably deserves the good CR rating. Hope that Ford keeps it up in the new models.

A.K.....g
  • ebbgreatdaneebbgreatdane Member Posts: 278
    1997.4 miles when I left it this morn in the parking lot at work.

No squeeks, rattles, shimmies, shakes or any other problems.

cpousnr -
    As a side note on the LSD... We recently had a couple of cloud bursts here in the Bay Area, CA. Based on your comments, I thought I would try to get the back end loose a little in a right hand turn. With the TRD package I couldn't do it. The dang tires stuck.

With that said who knows if I'll use the locker to it's capacity but I wanted the TRD package for it's towing capacity. Also from your Sport Trak Vs. the Tacoma comparison. So the full size hybrid gets to 60 with 5000 pounds 3 seconds faster...
    a) My Tacoma isn't ugly
    b) With 5000 pounds, who's racing anyway?

John
  • yota01yota01 Member Posts: 6
    Good clarification on buttons and switches. What is even more impressive, Ford now out performs the Toyota in engine numbers, and all the Ford fans come out of hibernation. I agree, the Toyota is behind the Ford in the HP and Torque brackets, but hey, when your Ford breaks down along the road, I will come and give you a helping hand.
    dane that comment was cruel. I am sitting here at work and I am doing my best not to bust out laughing! :-)

I am sure somebody out there thinks the sport trac is good looking.

Steve Cohen
  • barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    In the Aug issue of 4wheeler they pretty much come out and say the Tacoma won because it was the only vehicle equipped from the factory stock with a locker, I don't agree with that. Isn't the locker an option and an expensive one at that. BTW there was no mud test, no swamp test,only testing over bumps,over dirt inclines and a speed test and only 5 different vehicles were tested. My ZR2 wasn't included in that test, neither were some other informidable 4x4's.I'm not saying my or another truck would have been better.My truck does come with a gov locker which will take it almost anywhere you need to go, it would certainly have no problems with the courses they used for the testing. And I'm sure also that the hummer has an option package available with both front and rear lockers.For the same price as the TRD option you could put a powertrax locker and a 2" lift on a 4x4 offroad ranger and spank that little taco silly.
  • cpousnrcpousnr Member Posts: 1,611
    ind:
    that 3.6 seconds faster 0-50 equals out to about 70-80 feet ahead for a 4.0 Ranger config. I think the Ranger is lighter than a Sport Trac.

I see on other sites many Rangers with in excess of 200,000 miles on the 4.0 engine. I have wheeled with a guy with an 87 that has about 200K on a 2.9l engine that could easily out climb any Tacoma, locker or not. His 4:56 gears help a bit.

remainsilent:
    No problems, understand. It is for the most part friendly in here.
    I had one recall on my 98, the wiper switch which was replace at my 30,000 mile service, no additional down time to me. I did have it in for the dome light under warranty and it was done at the 25,000 mile service.

ebb:
    So, you would say my 82 Rabbit is ugly too?!? Don't like cars that are Robins Egg blue? But it gets 33mpg around town and is paid for long ago and costs maybe $200 to insure a year. Pushing 220,000 on that vehicle.

Actually, the Sport Trac is different looking to me, but I remember the "...ugly..." comments I got when I got my 73 Celica. In a few years, many vehicles will look like the Sport Trac, the Nissan is close to it in looks.
    Sport Trac: 4323 lb

Ranger: 3411 lb

Tacoma double Cab: 3705 lb

So the Tacoma, even being lighter, cannot out accelerate a Sport Trac when loaded?

And also the Consumer Reports article said that adding weight to a Tacoma does not improve its ride at all.
    I posted 10 recognitions given to the Ranger.

Spoog has posted 2-3 for Tacoma, including a well used 98 post.

I am not saying my Ranger is better, just that has been given great recognition by multiple organizations, not just FourWheeler magazine.

And for me it has preformed very well, for minimal cost.

Choose your truck wisely and buy what fits your needs.

Frey4:
    Still hear you complaing, did you never find out what is causing the problem? It is not normal for a truck to do what you say yours is doing. I have heard of one Ranger with a bad differential and someone said there are some bad drive shafts out there.

So what have you found out?
  • spoogspoog Member Posts: 1,224
    Barlitz- The Checy Trucks got spanked down in the 2001 Pickup of the Year-

To quote Edmunds -

" The toyota tacoma opened a can of whoop a@@ on the chevy's and nissan"

This INCLUDES the s-10 and full size chevy and GMC.

See for yourself at www.fourwheeler.com

Face it gang, The big three don't make their trucks with an offroad philosophy.

Nice try Barlitz, neither chevy nor Ford nor Dodge qualified for the "ultimate 4x4 challenge"
    because they make highway pickups. Edmunds specifically states this in the MAy 20001 issue of fourwheeler where that contest took place.

I know it's a hard pill to swallow.
    While not first, here is what they say about the Ranger:

" The judges warmed up to the Ranger fairly quickly...The truck simply does everything well."

"...four doors... made it popular with...judges...is now an industry standard."

"The engine provided plenty of power..."

"...everyone's pick for driver comfort..."

"The truck fared pretty well off-road, with plenty of power and sufficient suspension travel."

"On road, the field was almost evenly split between the Ford and the Toyota. The Ranger offered a somewhat smoother ride, while the Tacoma had the more powerful engine."

"If you want a compact truck that excels in most areas without any huge shortcomings, the Ranger is it."
  • eagle63eagle63 Member Posts: 599
    "Face it gang, The big three don't make their trucks with an offroad philosophy."

-I guess that's why toyota's sell so much better. Oh wait....
  • issisteelmanissisteelman Member Posts: 124
    I know all you folks hate to hear it, but spoog is right. The Tacoma is designed for off roading, and many would contend that it is the best compact pick up for off roading. That is why I purchased a Tacoma. I spend many weekends off road in the woods (on logging roads and in rare cases on 4-wheeler trails) and my Tacoma performs great. If I wanted a highway truck, I would have bought a Ranger. And actually, most people want a vehicle that goes good on the highway as not all of us are lucky enough to live in God's country. My preference is the woods (and I live in them) so I bought the Tacoma. Give Spoog some credit for a good observation on his last couple of posts. If you spend a lot of time off road, buy a Tacoma. See you in the back country............Steelman.
  • midnight_stangmidnight_stang Member Posts: 862
    indacurl2k--->I think it would be a little more accurate to say that the Tacoma has a slightly better reputation for quality over Ranger.

Also think of the towing test like trying to merge onto the freeway while under load. Sure it's not really a race, but it's also a hazard to be creeping on the highway while traffic has to dodge you and your slow trailer.

Barlitz said, "For the same price as the TRD option you could put a powertrax locker and a 2" lift on a 4x4 offroad ranger and spank that little taco silly. " THANK YOU!

spoog, take heed of the above. Since you're so found of edmunds quotes, here's one for you... "It's supposed to suggest the rugged outdoors, as well as strength and adventure, but a friend of ours once quipped, "Obviously, nobody from Toyota has actually been to Tacoma."

TRD Owners--->I just read something interesting. Is it true that they jack that comes with the Tacoma isn't large enough to lift the truck if you get the oversize tires with the TRD package?
  • tony22rtony22r Member Posts: 45
    ...for blown head gaskets.

* Originally in 1997 only a TSB (# 98-4-9) was released saying that "potentially defective" head gaskets could cause damage to the engine.

* After THOUSANDS of other owners complained about Blown head gaskets after only 30K-70K miles, consumers unions, the NHTSA, and other government organizations stepped in to force Ford to fix consumers defective head gaskets under a full blown Recall.
    Ford reneged on the Full Recall, instead offering an expanded TSB (# 98M01) that would cover blown head gaskets for 5yrs/60,000 miles. A "courtesy letter" was sent to owners saying replacement gaskets would be installed IF the originals already Blew! but not before that.

* After a few years it was discovered that MILLIONS of Ford vehicles had these defective head gaskets! late model Taurus, Sable, Windstar, Lincoln Continental, Mustang, ANY vehicle with the 3.8L V6! By now Ford was under Huge pressure from angry consumers and organizations, and so again offered an expanded TSB (# 00M09 & 00M10) ie. Ford's "Secret Warranty" which extended head gasket replacement to 7yrs/100,000 miles. NO letters were ever mailed out to owners. So Ford only fixed Blown head gaskets for the consumers that *knew* about the "secret" TSB's.

How do I know all this?
    I am the sad owner of a Ford 3.8L V6.
    also check out:
    http://www.autosafety.org/autodefects/FORD-3.8L.htm

So contrary to what others have said, TSB's are VERY IMPORTANT!
    Especially when an Unscrupulous company like FORD Refuses to do a Full Recall on Millions of vehicles they Know to be Defective!
    Only when hundreds of thousands of angry consumers with blown Ford head gaskets complain, and federal organizations put pressure on Ford, does Ford offer ANY kind of fix for the consumer!
    And even then under the guise of "TSB's" and unpublicized "Service Campaigns".

This is typical of Ford's NON-commitment to quality and customer service, and illustrates that defective, low quality parts used by Ford can and did affect Millions of other Ford vehicles!

barlitz & midnight_stang ->
    the total cost of repairs was $1300 and took TWO weeks! But the TSB only covered $1050 under the defective head gasket program!
    The dealership said I had to come up with $250!! I said WTF?!? WHY do I have to pay $250 for FORD's defective gaskets Scewing up MY engine??!!
    The dealership said the TSB *only* covered gaskets and installation, but I was responsible for things like corroded spark plugs, block flush, oil, coolant, and waste disposal fees!!
    I just about got in my Ford and crashed it thru their dealership window!
    But decided to drive it home and put a For Sale sign on it instead... at least now that it was running again.

Over the years of (unhappy) ownership i have spent Thousands of dollars out of my own pocket. for parts & service not covered by the recall/warranty, rental cars!, towing, time taken off work, etc.
    Dealership said all the Courtesy cars were already taken by Other owners with blown head gaskets! and they Refused to cover a rental car!
    So with the Thousands of dollars i've WASTED i could've just bought a Toyota to begin with!!!

So other FORD owners take heed!
    * Ford TSB's mean ALOT!!! especially when they are "secret warranties" and you need them to Save your Butt!
    * (800) 392-3673 <- write this phone# down! When your Ford breaks down just outside of warranty (like mine did). Beg with the Ford people at this phone# and they might inform you about Secret Service Campaigns and TSB's that might save you.
    I will have to check that out, it wouldn't surprise me being it was the same way on the 4x4 Nissan I had. I had to carry a wooden block in the back because the jack was too short. I am now in the process of ordering the TRD headers and cat-back exhaust for a little more get up and go to help out with the super-charger. I would love to port and polish the heads, but I better wait until the warranty runs out. I tried getting a new 4.0 ranger to roll out of town yesterday, but he wasn't interested. I would have been curious just see how it ran.

You guys think that we bicker, you should check out the Tundra vs the big3, talk about insanity. They spent "200" posts just on ground clearance.
  • allknowingallknowing Member Posts: 866
    No it's not true that the jack won't lift the TRD high enough to remove the tires. I just rotated my tires using the jack and it worked fine.

As far as replacing the rear end and adding the lift on a Ranger, the only problem is that doing so will void your warranty. I like the Ranger and it's a very capable truck. However, if you're looking for the most capable small truck for off-roading from the showroom, the TRD Toyota will be the choice.
    I did not read the actual article on the test I read the column in the Aug issue,where it said who was in the test and if an S-10 was in the test I'll bet it wasn't a ZR2,if it was, post a link for me so I can read it. And Spoog you're wrong on the Chevy trucks getting spanked.What was the fullsize truck of the year? And again what does JD Power rank as the #1 in customer satisfaction? What does wardsauto say about the 4.7 in the Tundra? Why do Ford Chevy and Dodge outsell the Tacoma? BTW spoog for a $800. Toyota will now have a LS availible as an option next year. Check out this month's 4wheeler the TRD Tundra couldn't even make it to the starting line in a mud course,hmmm they didn't have a mud track in that 4x4 of the year contest did they, sounds fishy to me.. can you say payoff. Toyota oh what a scamming!
    I thought this was a Tacoma vs. Ranger site. Now people are posting items about Tundras and full sized American trucks? I think we're getting off the subject here............
    but barlitz keeps telling us about his s-10, which doesn't even hold a candle compared to the ranger or the tacoma! I have owned a s-10 (NEVER NEVER NEVER AGAIN).
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    gone for two days and I can't even keep up with posts!!
    And once again I get the typical Toyota response of "Your Ranger will break down" garbage. I'm going on 43K now and waiting for it to breakdown..
    First Ranger went 96K and never broke down.
    Typical Toyota responses, all of them.. Rangers are reliable and are great trucks.
    Gone over to the Toyota Tacoma problem room lately? I thougth all Toyotas were PERFECT.. LOL@!
    Here we go again with this TRD thing. The TRD package is a locker, some Bilstein shocks and springs.. WOW!. The locker cannot be engaged in 4high (unless you do as someone has suggested and bypass wires, sure Toyota will honor your warranty after they find that! LOL!!). The locker is good for ONLY ONE THING. It cannot help you tow, haul or pull anything.
    Going over towards Madras Oregon area this weekend to do some hiking, and playing. Taking the Ranger. 5 of us are going in all different types of 4x4's and some quads. Yes, I'm taking the 4x4 Ranger into areas that Toyota owners keep telling me I'm not supposed to be able to go into... Hmmm.....
    About time you came back to stir up the hornets nest!
    I've owned everything from a lightning to an F250 now to the ZR2 all in the past 2 and 1/2 years, and all of them have been great trucks, I only read this site because there is some carryover from the, ford vs toyota vs chevy vs nissan topic or whatever it was. And every time you've got ridiculous posts from Taco owners, for the record we're all still waiting for a picture of spoogs TRD tacoma. I even offered to send him a digital camera for free if he'll post his truck.I'm not here to defend my truck,I'm not partial to any vehicle.I'm just defending some fellow domestic truck owners.
    Don't get too worked up, I was only kidding, like I give a rat's [non-permissible content removed] who posts in here. Yes, I would love to see Spoog's truck also, I think all owners in here ford, toy, or other would love to see that! I get just as tired of reading that verbatim junk just like the you.
    I have been to the toyota problems discussion recently. there are 74 posts the last one was on the 20th. The last post on the ranger problems discussion was yesterday and if I remember correctly there were 143 of them. Further some of the posts in the taco problem discussion weren't even real problems just curiousity questions. For example the last post was by me asking about the fuel gauge and how much of a reserve there is when the fuel gauge gets on E (and I am still waiting for a reply).

Btw vince, what does the ford ranger off road package consist of? the TRD package also consists of larger tires, overfenders and the really spiffy decal, just so you know
    I did a little research on www.carsdirect.com here's what I came up with.

2001 Taco trd/limited package( closest and cheapest way to come close to a similiar ranger XLT) $23481 included as options to come close to xlt (4w antilock brakes,high 4 selector switch,convenience package)

2001 Ranger XLT 4.0, 5 spd w/convenience package $19444. What I bought with the $4037 difference. Superlift 4" suspension lift includes everything offroad shocks too.$1429.95 powertrax noslip/locker for front differential 399.95, powertrax no slip/locker rear differential $404.94. BFG's 33"s w/ american eagle 589 series rims $929.95 . comes to $22608.79. I'm still ahead $873.00. Both trucks were the extend a cabs. Just more proof that the Taco is way overpriced. got prices from 4wheelparts.com,truckperformance.com
    3 gallons left. The tank holds 18.5 and fuel light comes on at 15.5. This is for the dC and ext. cab.
  • eagle63eagle63 Member Posts: 599
    it's pretty obvious that you don't own a ford or any other american vehicle. you're just here to troll the forums with your garbage and post flamebait.
    A few things, since you the ranger doesn't come with leather seats you should have chosen the SR5 package on the tacoma. Also since you chose the off road package on the tacoma you should have chosen the off road package on the ranger which is $3013 more and for some reason forces you to have auto transmission. Your ranger ends up with an msrp of $24530 including a $1500 rebate assuming you buy before 07/09/2001. For the tacoma I subtracted the limited package and added auto trans and the SR5 and get an msrp of $24,835.

Like I have been saying the ranger is only slightly less expensive at the high end.

Steve Cohen
    \\And Spoog you're wrong on the Chevy trucks getting spanked.What was the fullsize truck of the year \\

Yeeeehaw my friend!!!! Yeeehaw!!!
    The Tacoma whooped a FULL size Chevy and a compact S-10.

fourwheeler.com - " The Tacoma opened a can of whoopa@@ on the Chevy's ( note the plural here) amd Nissan.

Yes, The Tacoma STOMPED a full size Chevy, GMC Deisel, and s-10.

www.fourwheeler.com

Click on comparisons and read the 2001 comparison.
    \\Barlitz said, "For the same price as the TRD option you could put a powertrax locker and a 2" lift on a 4x4 offroad ranger and spank that little taco silly. " THANK YOU! \\

That would be like building a mansion on a mobile home foundation....

You still have the highway suspension, and all the cheap Ford parts that won't take constant abuse.

" In all of our offroad tests, we vote the Ford most likely to break"

-Edmunds.com
  • sporttrac4x4sporttrac4x4 Member Posts: 13
    I own both glad to see the heavy ST is just as quick as the Taco. but the ST is not a ranger its
    a beefed up smoothed out Explorer frame extended 14 inches and an Explorer cab with a Composite Plasic rear bed much more refined than a Ranger and more expensive than both Taco and a loaded Ranger my 4x4 ST was 25k and that was over 4k below list while my 4x2 XLT Ranger was 13k almost 3k below sticker. Love both trucks, both 2001 and have 14k miles combined not a single problem.

PS did have a hood striker recall on the ST and Ford bought me some nice Perelli Scorpion tires for the ST. Coolest feature on the ST power rear window on the cab(standard) 2nd the power Moonroof(option). STs also come packed with all the power goodies and Dual media CD ,Tape Stereos as standard and still offers some nice upgrades like the Standard Explorer (leather and power seats,overhead console,rear air and stereo controls,nerf bars ,cargo extender, and locking hard bed cover.
    I love this statement -And once again I get the typical Toyota response of "Your Ranger will break down" garbage. I'm going on 43K now and waiting for it to breakdown.. First Ranger went 96K and never broke down.- I am glad you are back too, I was getting a little board myself. So, you want to talk reliability huh? The question is, do you read any of the reliability survey results? You must not if you think as a whole, the Ranger is more reliable, or even as reliable as a Tacoma. Let's not reference our truck, our neibhors truck, or even your friends trucks, but let's reference something more. Something that is even linear with all these surveys that you seem to ignore. Do you know what a warranty claim is? Let me tell you if not. A warranty claim is what is issued everytime you take you vehicle in and get it repaired while being under warranty. Who do you think has a higher percentage rate of warranty claims, the Ranger, or the Tacoma? I am unsure what you do, or if you are even in the automotive industry, but I can tell you that I am, and I have access to an obundance of info relating to reliability history. I also receive numerous engineering magazines and component data sheets that are only available to supplier engineers. So, from what I can tell you are a die hard Ford person, who will never admit that other manufactuers have a leg up on your boys at Ford. That is okay, but the fact is Toyota is more reliable than Ford. I haven't seen a survey say otherwise yet, independent, or proffesional. Seems to me that you get a little upset when someone starts talking reliability, and for good reasons. Besides, you have 43k on your Ranger, and I assume you sold your other one that had 96k. Do you really see those numbers as impressive? If an automobile doesn't go 100k without any major/minor problems, then something is wrong.
    Hey thanks for the input and clarification.

I was not suggesting that a Sprottrac was a Ranger, that comparison was done by Consumer Reports. I do realize that the ST is based on the Explorer, however Explorer is derived from Ranger. There are differences, as in the rear suspension etc. My personal choice of the two would be the Ranger as I now have no real need for a family type vehicle.

As the Ranger is much lighter than ST, but has the same engine, the suggestion is that Ranger would preform better in acceleration and 0-60 etc times.

Question on the ST front suspension. Springs or Torsion Bars? Ever seen one lifted?
    100K without major problems?

Hmm, why do engines usually need a main drive belt change at 60K?

I do not dispute your contention of reliability having owned a few Toyotas in my time. I would hope you would not dispute my opinion that when you DO have to fix a Toyota, it is generally far more expensive than a Ranger. Like $450 for a pwr steering pump, $700 for a cat converter, $300 to adjust valves. . . the list goes on for the very expensive repairs I have done on Toyotas that I have owned. Parts are easily double for Japanese vehicles. Granted the do not break as often, but repair is very expensive.

You can find many Rangers that have mileage far in excess of 100K and are running fine, with minimal repairs. Same for Toyotas, except they rust bodys off of frames and seats are falling apart at that high mileage.

Before you dispute that comment, remember, I have owned 7 Toyota vehicles from 1971-1987, including a Toyota pickup.

-71 Landcruiser...dead cylinder at 90K, valve job required.
    -73 Celica...valves and cam were shot at 90K, fenders rusting off.
    -76 Corolla...engine leaking like a seive and burning quart of oil every 500 miles after 136K. Front fenders and in back of tires rusted through.
    -78 Corona...Valves and cam needed replacment at 120K
    -81 Pickup...engine and tranny shot at 56K. Replace both rear axles at 30k, they bent and took the brake drums with them.
    -two 87 Celicas...worked fine for 160K, but everything is starting to break/leak and one auto tranny going($2,100 for the parts).
    You said it perfectly Yota01. And you have now explained what all of us who own Yotas already know, that nothing can beat the reliability of a Yota motor. In fact (and I've mentioned this before) I know many Yota's with well over 150,000 miles that have given their owners very little problem (particularly engine problems). I agree, with today's engineering expertise, an engine should easily reach 100K with no major problems. And, as one of my satisfied Yota owning friends once said, "You just cannot kill a Yota motor". He is 100% right. I guess Ranger owners just don't know that joy. Take care and I'll see you in the mud holes............Steelman.
    steelman--->My 2.3l is surpassing 136 thousand miles and the valve cover has come off once for pure curiosity. Still get 20-21 city miles per gallon. I don't think any toyota mystery metal found it's way in my engine bay...

tony22--->All your talk about the ford 3.8l v6, and it's not found in either the Ranger or the Tacoma. I think everybody know you hate Ford and had your head gaskets blow. BUT check out this page, http://carpoint.msn.com/vip/overview/Toyota/Pickup/used.asp
    Looks like in 1995, your superior Toyota had some head gasket problems as well.

Allknowing--->I read on cartalk.cars.com that it was a known issue and Toyota knew it. It read 4x4, TRD's with oversize but stock tires needed to carry a block of wood for their stock jack to lift enough. It's practically hearsay, but I wouldn't know one way or the other... Hence me asking.

spoog said "You still have the highway suspension, and all the cheap Ford parts that won't take constant abuse." Boy you just plain ig'nant. I've taken my 4x2 2.3l 93 Ranger everywhere from North Dallas TX, to south padre island, to arkansas to Big Bend national park. While I was running circles around 4cylinder Wranglers on the beach, and helping stuck imports in the mountains of Arkansas, Buffalo river valley, I've done nothing but abuse and torment my poor Ranger. Still running OEM a-frames, shocks, springs, bushings, etc. This is just one of many accounts available. Have you driven a ford for any long term period of time? Have you subjected it to any endurance or strength tests? Didn't think so. So quit living behind your magazine quotes, and why not test drive one so you at least have an idea of what you're putting down.

yota--->You said "Who do you think has a higher percentage rate of warranty claims, the Ranger, or the Tacoma?" Sure Ranger vs. Tacoma claims no problem. But you have to go one step figure for a ratio that is more true to life. Factor in AMOUNT OF VEHICLES ON THE ROAD. Roughly there are three times the number of Rangers on the road, vs Tacoma. You also then have to account for each model year. Then you will get the actual percentage of vehicles with problems, not just rating who has more problems in totality. Why do we cite personal experiences, because that is what fuels your and my perception that our truck is the best. But what we've seen and know. But since you like reports... try this one for size

http://carpoint.msn.com/vip/overview/ford/ranger/used.asp

1995 and up Rangers (They are used too, Spoog!) all get 5 stars out of 5. 1991-'94 4 out of 5. Now look at Toyota Pickup/Tacoma. Tacoma has 5 stars in the years with data available 96 and up. Pickup '94-'95 4 out of 5 stars. But pickup's '91-'93 and earlier are a dissappointing 3 stars. This does not support the "long reliability" toyota fans are stating. Since I know my 93 Ranger was a true performer, isn't it logical and reasonable to say that the higher rated years (1995-2000 and future years) would be better?

Blast from the past (1995): http://detnews.com/menu/stories/23429.htm
    You two should be roommates. You'd never have an argument and there would never be an imported truck in your driveway (that is a shame). I'd be willing to bet that the statistical percentages quoted by Yota01 were determined using the # of claims vs. the # of vehicles purchased which would mean that you were looking at apples vs. apples and not apples vs. oranges. In other words, if 30% of Ranger owners had warranty claims and only 15% of Tacoma owners had warranty claims, then this would lead one to logically conclude that Tacomas are more reliable (no matter how many of each were on the road). Yota01, please explain further so that we can once and for all convince Ranger owners that Tacomas are better........thanks Steelman.
    Just checked on my old job's delivery trucks. It was a local Auto zone that used Rangers for delivery. Were talking Texas 110 degree+ summers in bumper to bumper stop and go traffic, and of the 5 rangers they have, the mileage ranges from 116 thousand miles to 248 thousand miles. All original auto transmissions, engines, cold A/C, This includes a 92 Extended cab up to a 99 regular cab. And you know these trucks aren't pampered by those who drive them. And you know these bumpers have been used(and don't implode like other models!)

Steelman--->Let's not speak for others. We'll see when he makes his source of these numbers public, and specifies the particular method the statistics were derived.
    And I think Vince and I are like minded, as we both appreciate the better value the Ranger represents, as well as the overstated quality issues that we just can't find.
    Actually I beleive that when I said 'percentage rate of warranty claims', that means ratio, a percentage, etc.. As far as accounting for each individual year, I agree whole heartedly, and that was also taken in consideration when I made that comment. I will elaberate on this a little later. As for the 248,000 miles, my best friend has a '92 Toyota pickup, with over 340,000 miles, only two problems to date. The alternator went out at 30,000 (under warranty), and the starter at 230,000.
    Ratio/percentage could have meant claims vs. claims, not necessarily number of claims/number of vehicles vs number of claims/number of vehicles. But we will all know once the source of this report is made publicly available.
    As far as the milage debates, that was apart of my continued retort that Rangers can last just as long as a Tacoma. This was in reply to your post #1687 and steelmans 1690, which inferred that Ford's Motors/vehicles couldn't do the same. This is to also back up my personal experience with that of a fleet of rangers.

Ok, All, so other than the "my car lasts forever so it's the best" or otherwise the quality debates, what other differences or advantages does your truck offer that the other make cannot?
    thats all that needs to be said. Toyota = better quality. When are you going to come out of denial and admit it in a post. Please, I dare you to. Or, do you still believe (much like Vince8) that your lower cost vehicle is the same quality? And I'm not referring to "value" as you like to put it, but I'm strictly referring to "quality". I'd be willing to bet that a higher percentage of Tacomas reach 200K than Rangers. I rarely ever see anyone brag about their Ranger motors lasting forever but I've seen firsthand Toyotas that you just cannot kill (and everyone knows that is their reputation). I'd give my right arm to see either you or Vince8 admit that this is true. Before I finish and you send your reply, I will repeat that a Ranger is not a bad truck, it is simply just not a good as a Tacoma. See you in those hard to reach places.............. Steelman.
    The fullsize truck of the year was the Chevy Heavy duty 2500, last year is was the Tundra.
    SMC13 I did chose the 4x4 XLT offroad,there are 2 packages I went with the first one because most offroaders like the manual trans.And my objective was to supposedly build a better offraod truck for less money and thats exactly what I did. If you want to start from the ground up we can do it that way to,don't forget to add the $50.00 option for the clock on your taco.Plus the auto trans is also an expensive option in the taco.

Spoog if a 4" lift is to much we can go 2" and add a paxton supercharger and still be less. Kids they never learn.
    sheez
    Before you begin picking on the Tacomas and their problems post you should go through and read them and compare them to the Ranger problems post.

Let me know if you need help getting that foot out of your mouth.

John
    A Few things. First of all ignore spoog, maybe he'll go away.

Anyway, I am looking at carsdirect.com. I select ford ranger and type in my zip code. I select 4x4, extended cab, regular side. I look at the model options. I do not see a 2dr 4x4 xlt supercab (ford's extended cab). I see a 2dr 4x2 xlt regularcab for $16455. I see a 2dr 4x4 edge supercab styleside for $19925. I see a 4dr 4x4 xlt supercab $20765. This is without any options. How did you get your low price? Which vehicle did you pick? I selected the supercab xlt and I see 3 package two labeled "off road" and both of them with auto trannies. There was another one with a manual but it didn't say "off-road" so I didn't choose it (I want the cool off road sticker). the package I chose was the most expensive one because I was choosing the top of the line which is $3013 (I don't feel like looking at what the packages actually contain because I am not trying to buy a ranger - at least not for five years).Anyway, I also choose this limited slip differential for $251 giving me an MSRP $24530. Now they do say that there is a $1500 rebate through 7/9 and it says I should be able to get it for $20998. Given that they say the invoice is 22998 I am suprised by the low target price - that $1500 rebate sure is sweet.

Looking at the ranger I am a little suprised. I thought it would have more options than it does. It seems to only have a 60/40 split bench and cloth seats. It seems to only have two radio choices (a cd in dash and a 6 changer in dash) and 4 speakers. From what I can tell if I want a 4x4 xlt I have to choose the 4dr supercab. If I want the off road decals I need to get an auto (what else is in these packages?). Anyway, I am not impressed.
This discussion has been closed.