Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Lease Questions

Comments

• bhamer54bhamer54 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know the current lease deals in CA for a 2012 Civic LX Sedan with a manual transmission?

I am at the end of a lease on a 2008 (same specs: Civic LX Sedan with a manual transmission), and would prefer to get into another lease on an updated version of my car. I was trying to get into a manual 2011 a few months ago, but there were none available on the west coast!

Now I am trying to decide if I should buy my 2008, lease a 2012, or look into other similar cars...

Do you guys think it would be better to buy or lease a new 2012?

I really was hoping to get the same deal I got last time = $0 down, $200 a month before tax. They were offering just about the same deal up until May, but I refuse to drive an automatic, so I couldn't take advantage of it...

Thanks for your help!
  • savepennysavepenny Member Posts: 1
    leased 2012 Honda Civic LX,36 moth . zero down but paid total fees for $ 1297,first payment included. monthly $169 plus tax, also bought exterior/interior /drnt/ding prortction for 5 y for total $499. the remaining value is $13001(is this right?). please advise is this a ok deal?
  • nsn224nsn224 Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering where did u buy this car. I too am looking for a similar deal
  • zhekazheka Member Posts: 18
    Hi Car_man,

What would a current lease deal be for the 2011 Civic EX-L (w/leather) for 36 months with 12k miles annually?

Thank you in advance!
    -zheka78
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi zheka78. Honda Finance's June buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 Civic EX-L with 12,000 miles per year are .00185 and 56%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its "Super Preferred" credit tier.

I would be happy to use this lease program to work up a sample payment for you if you provide me with an approximate selling price for the car that you want. For now I will assume a selling price of $1,000 over invoice. Let me know if you're able to get a better deal than that.

According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2011 Civic EX-L that has an MSRP of 21,275 and a selling price of 20,652 through Honda Finance right now for 36 months with 12,000 miles per year, your zero down, pre-tax monthly payment would be around $275.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • miamiboymiamiboy Member Posts: 2
    Hi Car Man:
    Last night, a dealer in Miami quoted the following for a 2012 Honda Civic EXL (without nav), as follows:
    Price: $22,405
    Lease rate for 36 mo (12K) was .0020 and residual was 65%, with total out of pocket $3,000.
    Am I in the wrong State or the wrong dealer?
  • joecssjoecss Member Posts: 1
    wat did he quote u monthly @ 22,405 with residual of 65%
    Hi miamiboy. The lease program that you were quoted doesn't look bad, you aren't being given much of a discount on the selling price though. This car's MSRP of $22,725, so you're looking at a $320 discount on a car that has a spread of nearly $1,750 between its MSRP and dealer invoice price. I realize that gas prices are high right now, creating significant demand for smaller cars like the Civic. I also realize that inventory is tighter than normal as a result of the Japanese disaster. Still, there's enough room here that it wouldn't hurt to comparison shop with another dealer or two to see if you can beat this price.

Car_man
    Host
  • zoranzoran Member Posts: 69
    any advise in sfo bay area? any idea when 2012 insight be out
  • vlilichvlilich Member Posts: 15
    Hi Car Man,

Wanted an opinion on a civic ex coupe deal I am being offered...

No money down ($216 for title and tags)

$358 a month (9% PA tax included)
    MSRP: 21155
    Price: 20675 + 595 acquisition fee
    residual: 55%
    money factor: .00185

Thanks
    Hi vlilich. The money factor that you were quoted looks good. It's right in line with Honda Finance's current buy rate for this model.

The $480 dealer discount that you were quoted isn't very large, but given the recent inventory issues that Honda has been experiencing and the high gas prices that are out there I can't say that I'm surprised. This car has a spread of over $1,600 between its full MSRP and dealer invoice price, so it might not be a bad idea to shop around a little to see if you can beat the price that you were quoted. Again though I can see dealers wanting to hang onto as much gross as possible on Civics right now.

Car_man
    Host
  • vlilichvlilich Member Posts: 15
    Thanks Car Man,

A bit of a correction... residual quoted was actually for 2011 model and 2012 is at 62%.

monthly price went down to 314 (all other components remained same). I am going to take delivery this week.
  • etm001etm001 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I recently leased a 2012 Honda Civic EX, and wanted to know if I got a good deal. Here are the details:

MSRP: $21,255
    Negotiated Price: $19,900
    Residual: 67% ($14,240.85)
    Factor: .00185
    Term: 36 months
    Acquisition Fee: $595
    Document Fee $295 (I couldn't get the dealer to waive this)
    DMV Fee: $123
    Cap Reduction: $1,289 ($2,000 down)

Acquisition fee was rolled into the lease. Base monthly price is $199, with tax it's $212.29. This deal was negotiated on July 3rd.

Thanks!
  • zoranzoran Member Posts: 69
    I am in CA, and am in for civic hybrid base 2012, dealer quoting 64% residual? car man or any one? it is for 12K miles lease though? bank fee is around $595 ?

money factor is same like urs 0.00185, MSRP is $24800. I was wondering why hybrid has worse residual? please advise asap, as I have not signed paper work and picked up the car!

Much appreciated.

Ofcourse discount is chicken feed $350, sales tax 8.25, fat payment of $351, zero down and 36 mo lease, $705 drive off.

A prompt response from any of u would be hugely appreciated.
  • gholden71gholden71 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2011
    Car Man,
    Good morning! I am looking to lease a 2012 Civic EX w/Navi in Raleigh, NC. I have requested quotes from three dealerships in the area. I received a internet quote from one of the dealers offering an internet price of $22,275 which does not include 3% tax, $74 tags and $398 document/admin fee (MSRP listed as $22,775). So, the out-the-door price would be $23,415.25.

I plan to use Honda Finance for the lease and would like to know the August residual value and money factor for a 36-month/12K mile lease on this vehicle.

Also, I currently lease a 2009 Honda Accord and have had numerous problems linking my cell phone to the Hands Free Link. The only reason I'm getting the EX w/Navi is so I can have Bluetooth and XM Radio. Any opinions on this?

Thank you in advance for any assistance that you can provide! :)
  • kreenutskreenuts Member Posts: 5
    edited August 2011
    I just got a 2012 Civic EX w/ Navi on 7/30 and here's the deal for my lease:
    MSRP: 22,930 (included some options)
    Sale Price: 21,945
    Residual: 14,675 (64%)
    Money Factor: .0024
    Term: 36
    Mileage: 15K/year

Upfront Fees:
    Tire: 7.50
    Doc Fee: 299
    DMV: 227
    Tax: 728
    Acquisition: 595

Monthly payment: $289
  • gholden71gholden71 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info! :)

Unfortunately, there weren't any Civics in stock and I'm looking to purchase before the week is out. Civics are in short supply in this area.
    Hi gholden71. Honda finance's August buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2012 Civic Sedan EX with Navigation and 12,000 miles per year are .00185 and 64%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top aka "Super Preferred" credit tier.

Car_man
    Host
  • jivephishjivephish Member Posts: 5
    Hi Car Man,

Do you know what the August 2012 Civic EX-L money factor and residual numbers are? Preferably with 15k miles if available. Thanks!
    Hello jivephish. Honda Finance's August buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2012 Civic EX-L with 15,000 miles per year are .00185 and 62%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top aka "Super Preferred" credit tier.

Car_man
    Host
  • tcurtintcurtin Member Posts: 5
    Hello. Could you please tell me what the money factor and residual value is for a 2011 civic ex sedan lease for 36month /36k? I was just quoted $279/mo. w/ $0down, 1st months, NYS taxes,DMV,bank fee due at signing. I know inventories are real low for 2011 models and there are better deals on 2012 (which I won't consider). I am shooting for a $279/month "sign and drive" on the 2011. What sale price would I have to negotiate in order for me to get that monthly payment? Is my offer reasonable or too aggressive?
    I'd be happy to help you out, tcurtin. Honda Finance's September buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 Civic Sedan EX with 12,000 miles per year are .00185 and 57%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top aka "Super Preferred" credit tier.

I just played around with some payments on this car and if you were able to get it at dealer invoice, your zero down, pre-tax monthly payment would be around $268. $400 over invoice would yield a payment of $279.68, right around what you are shooting for.

If you're in an area that has a decent level of competition that might be doable.

Car_man
    Host
  • justjenn722justjenn722 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Car Man,

I'm trying to get an idea of what a good lease payment would be on a Civic EX-L w/NAV - quotes from dealers have been all over the map. I would be putting $2k down (includes first payment, taxes, fees etc.) and would like a 12k mile per year, 3 year lease. This is my third Honda from this particular dealer and I'm hoping they will offer some type of loyalty incentive. Is it possible to get this lease payment under $300/month?
    Hi justjenn722. Let's work up a sample payment on this car and see what we come up with. Unfortunately, Honda is not currently offering any loyalty incentives on the Civic.

According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2012 Honda Civic Sedan EX-L with navigation that has an MSRP of $24,225 and a selling price of $22,858 ($500 over invoice) through Honda Finance right now for 36 months with 12,000 miles per year, your zero down, pre-tax monthly payment would be around $295.

Car_man
    Host
  • akasora1akasora1 Member Posts: 1
    i just leased a civic 2012 lx today at 229 a month tax included (210 without) and 540 drive off 12k/year 36 month lease without honda loyalty does this sound like a good deal?
  • giant42giant42 Member Posts: 1
    I just leased a 2012 Civic EX w/ nav this weekend for $290/mo with tax included, $0 drive-off. I could not have been happier with my experience at the dealership. I went in looking for the LX lease speacial at $240 but they were of course sold out. I took the EX for a test drive and was immediately impressed. After talking the dealer down from $350/mo I decided that the navigation, moon-roof, bluetooth, and rear disc brakes alone were with an additional ~$50/mo for me. After 48 hours I still could not be happier (although we will see what I say once I call my insurance)!

Thanks helpful Honda guys!
  • dcnova1dcnova1 Member Posts: 2
    I negotiated an offer tonight for a 2012 Civic LX, MSRP 19,425, for $600 at signing and 233/month for 36 months (12k/yr). Quote includes all tax and fees. How good of a deal is this? Should I try to do better?
  • jar131jar131 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to trade in my leased 2008 Civic EXL. I am 12k miles over on my lease. I negotiated an offer for a 2012 CIVIC EXL 36 months/15k for 299/month with first payment of $299. Is this a good offer? Would purchasing my current 2008 CIVIC be a better deal?

I have until Dec 1 to decide.

Thanks
  • billybob30billybob30 Member Posts: 1
    I just leased a 2012 Civic LX 5 speed manual sedan for $205/month sign and drive. 36 months 12K/year in NC
  • kcarnes92kcarnes92 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Car Man,

Can you please provide the current lease factor and residual for lease of a 2012 Civic EX-L Sedan for 36 months and 12,000 miles per year? Also, when determining the lease payment, is the residual applied to the MSRP or the sales price?

Thanks!
  • yeo24yeo24 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Car Man,

I'm looking to lease a 2012 Honda Civic LX 4dr Automatic vehicle. I've called a few places and got rough quotes for the lease, and the best deal I got was $530 out the door with $216.40/month for 36 months (36k miles). I don't want to put any money down, but am willing to pay for the registration fees and all that upfront if that method saves me a couple hundred dollars. Do you think that is a good deal? What do you believe is a good deal in terms of financing this vehicle? Thank you!
    Hi kcarnes92. Honda Finance's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 Civic EX-L Sedan with 12,000 miles per year are .00185 and 61%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top aka "Super Preferred" credit tier.

Vehicles' residual values are based upon a percentage of their full MSRP including the destination charge.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi yeo24. The selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. If you were able to provide us with this car's selling price, we would be able to see how large a dealer discount you are being given and in turn if there is any room left to negotiate. Let us know and we'll tell you what we think.

Car_man
    Host
  • ophiridoophirido Member Posts: 2
    Hi Car Man and others,

Can anyone explain the breakdown of the lease advertised on Honda's web-site?

2012 Civic Sedan Automatic LX Featured Special Lease
    $0 down payment
    $0 security deposit
    MSRP $19,425.00 (includes destination).
    Actual net capitalized cost $19,511.76 (includes $595 acquisition fee)
    Option to purchase at lease end $12,237.75 - I assume it means "Residual"

Honda web-site advertises this as $230.00 per month for 35 months ($0 first months payment)

Please help explain the following:

1. When calculate residual from the above it turns out %63 not %61 posted on this forum.

2. When calculate monthly using above numbers it turns out 266.54 not 230

Thanks.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    1) Different trim levels often have different residuals. The lower the trim level, the higher the residual (usually)

2) Different trim levels often have different money factors, as well.. Reverse engineering that payment, I'd put the money factor on that lease somewhere between .00085 and .00090

Regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• ophiridoophirido Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for quick reply - any other idea for the difference? A money factor of 0.00085 seems too good... 2%
  • honda_ighonda_ig Member Posts: 13
    Just leased a 2012 civic EX for $190 a month including all the fees and tax and $1000 down for 36 months 12k miles a year. Is this a good deal?
  • vorarevorare Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

I need some advice, and this seems like the best place to ask. I'm going to be helping a relative with her negotiations on a new lease. Her current lease expires in April for a 2009 Honda Civic Hybrid. The complication is that there's some damage to the car that I'm almost certain will go beyond the normal "wear and tear." Specifically, there's a small amount of damage on the rear driver's side from a parking garage mishap.

She hasn't had a repair estimate done yet, but she's really hoping to find a way to have the damage cost taken care of as part of starting a new lease. So I guess the questions are as follows:

1) If she's willing to lease a new car from the dealer, how likely is the dealer to waive the cost of the damage as part of the negotiation? I've read that dealers sometimes waive excess wear and tear, but I'm not sure how that works or how to go about negotiating it.

2) If the dealer will NOT waive the damage, is there any chance that they would roll the cost of the repair into her new lease?

Thanks!
  • dannymarguliesdannymargulies Member Posts: 1
    vorare,

It depends how much damage there is. As for rolling costs into the new lease, it can theoretically be done with a small amount and excellent credit.

I have seen car dealers in this spot say they will "waive" the additional damages on the car you're turning in, only to make up for it on the price of the new car being leased.

The best thing for you to do is get the current vehicle appraised by several dealers (including, if you want, the dealer you plan to get the new car from--you can even give them the last option for your convenience, and as a courtesy).

THEN, separately, research what you should be paying for the new car being leased, and negotiate until you get to that number (or as close as you are comfortable with/have time for).

By treating the two transactions separately, it will be easier for you to get maximum value for each (whatever that happens to be).

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
    Danny
  • robtroxelrobtroxel Member Posts: 103
    Follow Danny's advise. You will pay dearly otherwise.
  • blurry_imageblurry_image Member Posts: 25
    Hi car_man,

Could you please let me know the current money factor and residual rates for the:

civic ex-l with navigation - 4 dr sedan

and

civic ex without navigation - 4 dr sedan

Thank you very much!!!
  • dolsey01dolsey01 Member Posts: 92
    Hi car_man,

Could you please provide the 36MO/12K MF and residual for the LX Sedan . Trying to negotiate a lease for my elderly mother and need to make sure she is getting the best deal.

I have this for the EX but need to confirm for the LX
    36 Month – Residual 62% of MSRP – .00081 Base Rate

Thanks so much!
  • dan36124dan36124 Member Posts: 27
    Hi there. I'm 99% ready (and a little sad) to trade in my 2010 Acura TL and jump into a 2012 Civic EX with Nav. Gotta save some money. MSRP would be 22755. I believe one quote I got was selling price of 21,028. I can figure the financing, but if you could give me the 12 and 15k residuals for 36 months and money factor for top tier credit it would be greatly appreciated!

Also since my trade will be worth more than the new car, I won't have to pay sales tax on the Civic right? This is New Jersey. I know you generally pay the difference....(New car worth 30g, trade in worth 10g, you pay tax on 20g).......So no tax makes sense here right?

I'd really appreciate the info. Looking to do something this week. Thanks!
  • robtroxelrobtroxel Member Posts: 103
    edited February 2012
    The latest Civic is a real mess! Honda knows it , we know it, and you should study why. Honda has made the unprecidented move to redo this car ASAP. If I were you I'd either go for a Hyundia Elantra (Can't believe I'm telling you this but Hyundia is the right choice). Otherwise you can extend your current lease from month to month till youi get a look at the revised Civic due out in late fall. You'll also get a mileage allowance per your original lease terms.

We have an 09 Civic EXL navigation with a lease expiring in July. We are going month to month till we see if Honda is serious about fixing the new Civic..other wise it is on to another brand. Also consider the Buick Verano. It will be the fist time in 20 years and 10 Hondas, but we already moved away from the Accord and may follw suit with the Civic being replaced too. Honda has lost it's way on Accord and Civic!
    Really? It seemed some things changed on this model from the reviews I read, but I didn't get the feeling I should "stay away".....Why? What did they screw up?

I don't have a TL lease...it's a purchase....trying to save money and lower payments as soon as possible. I'd like something sorta small and somewhat sporty if I could. I was considering a Hyundai Veloster...Briefly thought about an Accent. Do you have any other suggestions for a car priced around 21g including Nav?? Thanks!
    Here you go blurry_image. Honda Finance's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 Civic Sedan EX-L with Navigation and 15,000 miles per year are .00081 and 56%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

The money factor for a lease of a '12 Civic Sedan EX without navigation would be the same, but the residual value would be 60%.

Car_man
    Host
    Here's the information that you're looking for dolsey01. Honda Finance's February buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 Civic Sedan LX with 15,000 miles per year are .00081 and 60%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top aka "Super Preferred" credit tier.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi dan36124. Honda Finance's February buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 Civic Sedan EX with Navigation and 15,000 miles per year are .00081 and 58%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top aka "Super Preferred" credit tier.

The residual value for a lease with only 12,000 miles per year would be 2% higher.

I believe that in New Jersey you do indeed only have to pay sales tax on the difference in value between your trade and your new vehicle, even when leasing. Just make sure to have the dealer cut you a check for any equity that you have in your TL rather than using the proceeds from it as a down payment for your lease.

Car_man
    Host
    Thanks Car man!

I really have reconsidered after reading more reviews about the Civic sucking this year....I may be looking at the Prius now. Probably a better move at this point.

Though for whatever it's worth, a dealer confirmed for me on a purchase, I wouldn't pay any tax if the trade in was valued higher than the new car....A lease is different apparently!?

Thanks again for the numbers!
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    You said you are looking to save money by trading in your TL & leasing a less expensive car, right? Have you thought about the significant amount (many thousands) that your TL has depreciated. You were looking for a loaded civic w/ NAV? Why not look into a more basic LX model if you are really trying to downsize & save money. A Prius?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

This discussion has been closed.