Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Lease Questions

Comments

• liphanliphan Member Posts: 2
    Honda website says Civic Si starts at $22,355
    Dealer's sticker was $22,975

According to Edmunds the invoice price is $20,771

So I thought $20,969 was pretty good for the car cost.

Earlier in this thread Car_Man said in April the residual was 60% for the Si. I don't know if that's what I should expect now in May.

The money factor is lower than what Car_Man quoted last month so it seems ok.

Our MA sales tax is 6.25%. I ran their numbers and it all worked out. Aquisition/bank lease fee I guess is standard at $595.

Their doc fee certainly is expensive. I know they can't waive it or adjust it by law, but I guess I can ask if they can make up for it some other way. I'm not sure how successful that will be.

How does one ask for rebates or discounts? Would'nt they just say no typically? Is there a way to be fully aware of any rebates/discounts they should be giving me?

Thanks for your reply
  • blinkn09blinkn09 Member Posts: 8
    Hi car man,

First off your info on the Audi a7 forum helped me negotiate a great deal! Thank you!

Now I'm in the market for a Honda civic ex or lx lease 36 month 15k miles, can you let me know the residual, money factor and any incentives available ( Honda owner, or new graduate cash) for both the ex and lx? I'm hoping to pick up the car this weekend.

I was offered $18971, $0 down, 15k miles, 35 months for $232.92. I've seen better on the forum. I'm hoping for $1000 down and $170-180/ mo. Is that pushing it? Ha ha

Thanks in advance car man
  • holynerholyner Member Posts: 6
    $1665 down, $165/mo civic lx coupe 35 months. 58%. lowest money factor outside loyalty discount.
    and 12k miles
  • blinkn09blinkn09 Member Posts: 8
    Ok,

So I bought the car!!!

Time to contribute back to this forum.

I got a Honda Civic EX 4 door. $1000 down, $185 +tax a month = $199 on a 15k/miles yr and 35 month lease. Final cost is ~$18200
  • jett456jett456 Member Posts: 50
    No money down except first months payment and DMV fees. $205 including tax for an LX. This is based on price of car at 17356 (12,000 mi). Woman told me she would take more off I buy a car on their lot. Is this a good deal? I think it is. Its for my niece. MF is .0077. What do you think? Can I do better? I checked with another dealer in CT and they wouldn't budget for less than 222 incl tax.
  • sam_hikessam_hikes Member Posts: 4
    Car Man, I think current pgm expires on July 9.... When do you expect the July lease rates will be published from Honda? Looking at Civic & Ody

Thanks for the work you do on here!
    We did our deal yesterday. We got the price including first month, no bank fee, no money down. Out of pocket was $449 for dealer conveyance and etching + $101 for DMV transfer. Are these fees legit? I felt like I had to really watch these guys with the fees. When we sat down with the finance guys he had all the numbers higher and tried to charge me what wasn't agreed upon with the salesman. He did fix everything and apologized but I get the feeling that this is way they do things. Monthly payment was $191 including tax for an LX. This seemed like a decent price
    the memorial day sale was 199 0 down everything included (12k 36mo) from most dealers. adding 550 down over 36 months would be 184/mo
    Where was this? In CT this was the best I could do within driving distance. $179 plus tax.
  • 4dimad4dimad Member Posts: 26
    Hello,
    I just bought 2009 Honda Civic at the end of the lease. I am in MA. The dealer charged me sale tax, doc fee, new plate, title, registration, etc. Is it usual? I already paid all these fees when leased the car (i.e. I wanted to save the plates). Should I pay them again? Also, he said the price is not negotiable, I had to pay whatever I had on the paper. Lastly, after I signed all of the paperwork (financing, etc) the dealer didn't give me anything, put it away and said he "will contact me when he receive package from Honda". He also said that I must go with Honda financing and can't bring check from other bank because it's how
    Honda handles buyouts. I just want to make sure it's normal Thanks.
  • robtroxelrobtroxel Member Posts: 103
    You either pay in cash or go thru HFC. We get some of the double fees in Illinois though I told they do prorate the tax paid. I'd buy the 2009 because you probably have a good price, >>much less than the street pricing for these cars. This car is far better than the 2012 Civics they are trying to sell now.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    You're welcome and thank you for noticing, sam_hikes. You're right, the June program is scheduled to run through July 9th. I expect Honda to publish its new July program some time on the 10th. Please feel free to check back with me then for an update.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • samjsamj Member Posts: 24
    Just took home a 2012 Civic LX Auto lease @ 203+tax=220/month, 0 down, 0 1st payment (35 payments from lessee, term of lease 36 months). Acquisition fee rolled in to cap cost, so only drive off fees were DMV + doc fees - about $300. Basically the same terms of the Honda nationally sponsored deal of 0 down, 0 1st payment, $220/month + tax - except that I negotiated payment down to $203/month + tax. I think the money factor was either 0.00077 or 0.000670. I'll have to do some backward calculation.

During research, I compared all of the various deals advertised and from neighbors & friends. I found that once you adjust for down payment, 0 1st payment, and acquisition fee (whether it's paid upfront or rolled in to lease cap cost), they're basically all same. So during negotiation, I tried very hard to negotiate sales price as close to invoice (including $500 holdback). I got to about $500 within dealer's cost. I wanted to try harder but ran out of time.
    Outside Boston. Most dealers had the same promo but were tricky on fees, etc. I got 202/mo flat in RI
    .00067 rate is Honda loyalty only.
  • sam_hikessam_hikes Member Posts: 4
    How does one go about getting the .00067 rate for Honda loyalty only? Is it available to qualified current AHC lease holders?
  • mjk16mjk16 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    We are considering purchasing a Honda Civic 2012 ex-l and went to a dealership and they told us that we are looking at $260 a month and $2000 down plus 1st months payment on a 39 month lease.
    I am sure if we are over paying or not can you please advise and what should be a good price to pay for this car.
    Thanks.
  • aim718aim718 Member Posts: 17
    Car man,
    I don't know much about cars so Im trying to research as much as I can before going to a dealership and getting ripped off.
    What is a good car lease deal for a 2012 Honda civic LX and EX in miami, fl. I want a 36 mo lease with 0 down. What's the price difference between 12k and 15k?
    Thanks!
  • buyingciviclxbuyingciviclx Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2012
    I got this deal from the Honda dealer for 2012 Civic Sedan Lx auto:

MSRP: 19595
    Adjusted price: 16450(includes all tax and title)
    Monthly payment: 157/35month
    down payment: 2000(includes first payment)
    residual: 61% (11952.95)
    Included: Pro pack(cargo tray, mud guard), Nitrogen filled tire, pin strip, 2oil change, 2 tire rotation

I don't know the money factor. Do you think its a good deal?
  • car_guy11car_guy11 Member Posts: 6
    Hi Car_Man and others,

These forums helped me get a fantastic deal on a Sonata lease 18 months ago now I'm hoping you can help me again.

My fiance's current lease is coming to an end; she has a 2009 Civic with 16,000 miles (not a typo).

Based on her low mileage I'm wondering if I can use this is a negotiation tool. Though my initial thought is it's only beneficial if the trade in value is higher than the end of lease buy out.

So here are my questions:

1. What is Honda's current RV for a 2012 Civic EX based on 10K & 12K miles/year?
    2. What is the MF for a 2012 Civic EX?
    3. Are there any incentives for signing another lease with Honda?

I greatly appreciate your advise and suggestions! Thank you!

Jon - Columbus, OH
    Hey Jon. How are you enjoying your Sonata?

That certainly is low mileage. You certainly can try to use that to your advantage in your negotiations.

Honda Finance's July buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 Civic EX Sedan with 12,000 miles per year are .00077 and 61%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top aka "Super Preferred" credit tier.

I am not aware of any loyalty cash incentives on Hondas right now, but you definitely need to make sure to take advantage of the $500 dealer cash that is currently available on this model.

Car_man
    Host
  • james324james324 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2012
    It was agreed that all taxes and fees would be rolled into my month payment on the Civic EX I just got with a trade in.

However, I just reviewed my lease agreement thoroughly and noticed that there is a section called "estimated fees and taxes during lease term": $2281.05

It says that I agree to pay this whether it is included in my monthly payments, lease signing, or "otherwise assessed."

I paid 0 down.

The base lease payments line states "255.01" which is my agreed upon monthly payment
    monthly sales/use tax line states "N/A"
    sales/use tax states "N/A"

At the Honda website (http://www.hondafinancialservices.com/account-management/account-faqs) this is what it states regarding this:

Why did I receive a separate bill for taxes? Isn't this part of my monthly lease payment?
    To ensure you are billed accurately for your property taxes, we initially pay the tax bill on your behalf and then send you a bill in turn. For an estimate of these charges over the term of your lease, please refer to the "Estimated Fees and Taxes During Your Lease Term" section on the front of your lease agreement.

So... does this mean that I was duped into having to pay 2281.05 on top of my monthly payments?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,555
    That line is a result of the Truth in Lending act..

It isn't actually a bill.... it's just an estimate of all the taxes you'll pay over the life of the lease (sales tax, property tax, registration, etc..). It's on all vehicle lease contracts..

Your sales taxes most likely are rolled into your lease... However, if your state levies property taxes, yearly registration fees, etc.. on vehicles, then that will be your responsibility...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• ariknycariknyc Member Posts: 37
    in North Jersey, I negotiated this deal

$173/month for 39 months
    0 down
    10K miles, .15 per mile over
    1190 for fees and first month

I don't think it's a great deal.

I walked out when they would not go lower. I told them that I want $160 per month, 36 months, 0 down, 12K miles per year, .10 per mile over, $1190 for fees and first month.

Is this a good deal?
  • jetfanjetfan Member Posts: 61
    I am no pro at buying or leasing cars but I have a few comments regarding your deal. First off, I would never do a 39 month lease. Your warranty runs out after 36 months so you should insist on a 36 month deal. Second, find out what the Honda incentives & lease promotions are for August. Last month they has a $500 dealer cash incentive. Focus on the price you are paying for the car. The lower the price, the lower your payment. Look at the "prices paid" thread to get an idea what people in your area are paying.. Find our what your dealer's Document fee is. Alot of dealers will not budge on this so if they want $300-$400 dollars make sure you get a reduction in the selling price of the car to offset this charge. Stay away from window etch & other dealer added options. Consumer Reports just came out with an article listing the 2012 Civic as one of the worst cars to buy. Use that to your advantage to get your deal. Lastly, I would not pay that much "out the door". Your registration charges in NJ should be under $300. I would pay that along with first month only so insist on $500 out the door including first month payment.
  • ariknycariknyc Member Posts: 37
    Ok so here is the deal that I got. $1000 down including fees, taxes, first month etc. $175/month, .00067 money factor, Honda Lease, 12K/year $.15 per mile over. Got this from Mahwah Honda in north Jersey. I think I could have lowered them to $170 per month but saving about $180 was not worth the additional time.
  • miapoppymiapoppy Member Posts: 15
    Feel proud, you did very well. You sure put me to shame on my civic lease. Good luck to you!
  • sray12345sray12345 Member Posts: 1
    I found this forum REALLY helpful in my search so I thought I'd post my experience!

2 Weeks, 4 dealerships - black Civic Sedan LX

Final Deal - Payment is $207 + tax. 0 down, 0 first months payment. 36k/3 year lease. Included maintenance package that covers all oil changes/service to 30k. Pinstripe, scotch guarded seats (not requested, but all of their cars had it).

The sticking point was my trade in (upside down). I got the first dealer to offer me 300 less than payoff while everyone else offered 2-3k less than payoff. The first dealer was really rude and I REALLY didn't want to get the car from them, so I showed the last dealer the lease contract from the first and told them if they could beat it by $1 I would buy the car from them. It worked!

I feel like I got a good deal considering my trade in. (I hope I did! Easier to sleep at night!).

Also, their finance manager told me that putting zero down gives you a money factor of .00067 while putting some money down gives you .00077. I'm not sure if that is accurate for every dealer, but it might be worth asking about!
    Congratulations on getting your new Civic, sray12345. Thanks for taking the time to share the details with everyone. Enjoy your new ride!

Car_man
    Host
  • skiski0702skiski0702 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2012
    Here's the deal I got for my 2012 Honda Civic LX (no options added)
    $220/month (tax&fee included)
    $0 down
    first month free except dmv & state tax (that adds up to $230 approx)
    Free Gap In
    $1500 damage waiver by the time I return my car
    No turn in fee
    Free NYS Inspection

seems like 2013 civic will be released anytime soon in the next few weeks but I did not want to risk my chances even if they offer better or worse deal.

$220 is a fixed cost from Honda not the dealership.

Hope I had a good deal ;]
  • jonathannycjonathannyc Member Posts: 12
    hi car_man!

can you give me lease residuals and MF for a LX sedan (auto) 15k/36months? thanks!
    You're in luck, jonathannyc, Honda just made an unscheduled improvement to its lease program for the Civic in October. Honda Finance's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 Civic Sedan LX with 15,000 miles per year are .00046 and 58%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top aka "Super Preferred" credit tier.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi,
    I got a quote on an EXL which I think might be an ok deal. Dealer 1 is $299.00, 0 out of pocket except for first month and they will absorb my final 3 lease payments. Price of car is 21500.
    Dealer 2 - $278 payment, price of car is 20,579 and zero at signing. But this does not include my current car lease. I am waiting on an email. What do you think? What is the current money factor for this car. Is it the same as the EXL Nav? Thank you.
  • marpermarper Member Posts: 1
    They are both really close. The final 3 lease payments are around $1000 probably which represents around $30 a month in payments.

On a side note everyone cracks me up wondering if there getting a good deal seeing as you can look the invoice up on edmunds you can see that there is about $200 of mark up in a base model civic and about $1000 in mark up on a loaded up one. Of course the dealer gets hold back which is around %1.5 of MSRP. There is not much markup in new cars if the dealer gives any discount you got a pretty good deal.
    Thanks for your help. I am going to wait until my lease is up.
  • mackenzie3mackenzie3 Member Posts: 1
    Car man,
    Thanks for posting the October numbers: 36-month lease of a 2012 Civic Sedan LX with 15,000 miles per year are .00046 and 58%

I'm not sure how this translates to a monthly payment, preferably with zero down? Top credit tier. Thank you for your help!
  • marbetd77marbetd77 Member Posts: 13
    I'm looking for what I should pay monthly for a lease for the car listed below before I go to the dealers. I'd prefer to put zero down, have top tier credit. Thank you to Car man for listing the October numbers: 36-month lease of a 2012 Civic Sedan LX with 15,000 miles per year are .00046 and 58%

Thank you for your help!
    You're welcome mackenzie3. I'd be happy to work up a payment on this car for you.

According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2012 Civic Sedan LX that has an MSRP of $19,595 and a selling price of $18,275 ($500 over invoice after deducting the $500 dealer cash) through Honda Finance right now for 36-months with 15,000 miles per year, your zero down, pre-tax monthly payment would be around $206.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi marbetd77. Please see my previous post for a sample lease payment on this car. Thanks and good luck in your negotiations. Make sure to stop back and let us all know how everything turns out.

Car_man
    Host
  • hondaallenhondaallen Member Posts: 1
    couple of questions:

1. salesman wanted to add on window tint ($295) pin striping ($195) trunk tray ($295) and protection package ($395)....said it was standard on this model...is this true?

2. came back with $1499 down $199 per month and $199 due 1st month upfront...said couldn't budge on $1499 due to TT&L...is this true or can you really get zero down...actually would be wiling to go up to $220 per month w/ zero down...
  • zaxxon25zaxxon25 Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2012
    Helped a friend here in MA lease a '12 LX 4 door yesterday. 3 yr/36K at $199/mo ... no acquisition fee, no dealer doc fee, they even absorbed sales tax/title and waived security deposit. No back end recovery fee either ... tried to find the holes but couldn't. She was top tier credit so that factored in as well. I perused their website beforehand and they had a massive inventory of '12s they need to clear ... add that to a slow Sunday at the dealer and I think we hit the perfect storm.
  • rocsteverocsteve Member Posts: 1
    I was curious to what the cash price for a Honda Civic Sedan LX 2012 would be. I was quoted $19800 taxes and freight all in. Thanks for your help.
  • dylrexdylrex Member Posts: 111
    edited October 2012
    Are you sure all of that wasn't rolled into the cap cost???
    Hi hondaallen. These items are only "standard" at this dealership...if at all. Honda does not deliver the Civic to dealers with these options already on it.

What is the breakdown of the $1,499 that's due at lease signing. Most items that need to be paid at signing can usually be rolled into vehicles' capitalized costs to make them part of the monthly payment.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi rocsteve. If I was in the market for a 2012 Civic right now, I personally would shoot for a selling price of a couple hundred dollars over the dealer invoice price that is listed in the New Vehicle Pricing section of Edmunds.com minus the $1,000 dealer cash that Honda is currently providing on this model.

Car_man
    Host
  • zaxxon25zaxxon25 Member Posts: 3
    Hey dylrex ... there was no cap reduction. $0 down.

http://www.herbchambershondaofburlington.com/new-car-specials.htm
  • mike_s5mike_s5 Member Posts: 8
    edited November 2012
    Hi all...

I am looking to lease a '12 Civic EX or EX-L in Chicago. I noticed on the Honda website they are offering 0.9% on a 36 mo. lease. What should my monthly payment be with no money down on a good deal? What is the money factor, etc? Is it better to call a bunch of dealerships or use the Honda website for a quote, and what questions/info do I need so I don't get ripped off?

Thanks!
  • seagfsseagfs Member Posts: 2
    Got the following deal

- No money out of pocket at signing
    - First month paid by Honda Financing
    - 36 month lease 12K/year

Price - 219.24/month including tax.
    Price Pre Tax - 199.62
  • seagfsseagfs Member Posts: 2
    Got the following

199.62 before tax including title, license, acquisition fee on 12 Civic EX with 12K miles and 60% residual

And a $50 cash back certificate from Edmunds just for doing research on the site.

Use USAA buying service to start if you can, or Truecar if no USAA. The dealers call you and you just need to negotiate down on the car price from the price they quote.

And don't let the dealers screw with the other variables.. (money factor, residual, etc...)

Best advice, model what you think is a fair monthly rate after tax in Excel and just be prepared to call BS on the lease rate even though all dealers will say it is not up to them to change the money factor or residual..
    Because , as I found out, even with a set price from USAA or Truecar, they still want to deal.
This discussion has been closed.