Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Lease Questions

Comments

• gmanusmcgmanusmc Member Posts: 699
    Your best bet is to send an identical email to the Internet depts of as many dealers you can in SoCal. There are a lot of Honda dealers so you should be able to achieve a good deal. In the email, state your criteria and request their best quote for a 36 month/15k mile lease with only the first payment due at lease signing - that way you will be able to compare apples to apples. If your credit score is in the 700 range, you should qualify for Honda's best rates. When you get some info from the dealers, post it here and posters will be able to give you their opinions.

Thanks, Bill G
    2016 ES350 Lux/Atomic Silver
    2017 Accord Sport CVT Mod Steel Metallic
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    " lease figures are for a 2013 Honda Civic Si Sedan with Summer tires? 36 months and 15k?"

.00019 and 58%

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• 0myangela0myangela Member Posts: 7
    on the contract it said

cap 19167
    adj 18817
    flex cash 350 (usually 500 but dealer ran out of flex cash supposedly)
    residual .59, $11655.45
    tax 6%
    acquisition fee 595
    no disposition fee

inception fee: $1285.50
    $400 - new tag
    $599 - dealer's fee
    $60- rental surchage
    $9.5 - tire fee, lemon law req
    $218 first month's payment

the value i had negotiated was 17705 and suddenly when I was about to sign the lease, the value of the car was 18817... If I do the numbers, I could definitely get 200-400 off of my lease! Help anyone?
    That 599 dealer fee is adding $18 to the payment. If you have not done the deal yet, either have them reduce that fee significantly, or have them reduce the selling price by 600 - that will get your payment to around 200. Tell your salesperson if they do that, you are ready to sign - in my opinion, 200 is a good deal (with zero or only first payment due at signing). Keep going - you're doing great!

Bill
  • carlovhercarlovher Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2013
    2013 Civic Ex lease
    12K/36 months
    $252 per month payment
    $1200 down including 1st mo. payment
    NJ dealer
    taking 2 months payments from my current lease
    help me? i need to go back today to work out a deal. is this good?
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    edited September 2013
    "is this good?"

Well, compared to what others, and myself have paid... it sucks.

Things must be tough in Jersey. Somewhere around $200-220 a month with nothing down is really good. The more you put down, the less monthly and total out of pocket should be.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • bhanu1bhanu1 Member Posts: 13
    I signed up for 2013 civic lx on Saturday. The vehicle is not delivered to me. It will be delivered to me today. At this point, can I cancel the lease? Due to some personal reasons, I do not want to lease the car and want to keep my existing car. I signed the Civic Lx for lease with trade in. I did not give the car to the dealer yet. Also they did not deliver the Civic to me yet. It will be done today. Please help.
    In my experience, and to the best of my knowledge, as long has you have not physically taken delivery and possession of the vehicle, you can cancel the deal. However, it might depend on the laws of your state. The way you are describing the situation, you may be able to back out.

Bill G
    edited September 2013
    Thanks Bill.

I finally made up my mind and ready to take the delivery today with this:

2013 Civic Lx
    $238 lease.
    No down
    No TTL.
    3 year free service.
    State: North Carolina.

So, Is this a good deal? Just curious
    edited September 2013
    If you qualify for Honda Finance's best lease rate, you should be able to get to around 200 per month with no more than first payment due at signing.

Bill

Forgot about you stating you have a trade involved - any positive or negative equity in the trade would have an affect on your deal.
    I traded with 2010 Honda Odyssey EX-L with RES, 47500 miles, Very good condition.
    They paid $19100. My credit score is 725.
    What about city/county property taxes?
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    That's a whole different animal - when we lived in Virginia, we received a separate tax bill from the county twice a year that assessed personal property taxes - what a joy - property tax on our home AND our vehicles. It was a pretty good chunk too - about $6-700 a year (based on value of vehicle). Anyway, in Virginia, the auto dealer was not involved in property tax collection. The county got your vehicle info from the state DMV folks.

Bill G
    Dealer told me that Property tax will be on them.
    What? That's a new one on me - I have no clue what you are talking about. Where do you reside? What kind of property tax, specifically, are you referring to?

Bill
    I talked to Honda Financial a few days ago. They said they pay the property fax on the vehicle, since they own it, then I reimburse Honda. So, I think I owe a couple hundred to Honda.

This slipped my mind when I leased vehicle. Didn't know if this is usually lumped in with the monthly payment, or is not considered in payment.
    In doing a little research, this property tax question on leased vehicles comes up a lot. Seems to vary by state. Apparently the properly tax is passed on to the leasee, because even though they don't own the car, they are the beneficiary of its use. I'll have to look at my lease, but apparently this was slipped by me by the dealership. Yeah, I know... read the entire lease.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Here in CT we have to pay a personal property tax on our cars whether they are owned or leased. On the 2 cars I own (Pilot & Prelude), I get a bill in the mail from The City of Stamford once a year. My BMW is leased & I get a bill from BMW that I pay directly to BMW, who pays The City of Stamford.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

In KY, some lessors pay the tax, and you reimburse them on your next bill, and some have you pay the bill yourself, when you go in to register for that year. I'm not aware of any banks that roll it into the monthly payments.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Yeah, Honda pays the properly tax and I reimburse
    Honda. Under estimated fees and taxes during lease term, it list $1,300 for title, registration, fees and taxes over the course of my lease. But does not specify property tax.

My total amount paid during lease, not counting above noted taxes , is $6,411. Which works out to $178 a month. Factoring the property tax, it works out to $214 a month for 36 months.

But, seems like property tax is treated like a seperate cost of leasing... as if you had bought the car outright. So I guess I did as well as I thought.
    Yeah, I don't factor property tax into my lease payments, because I pay the same tax whether leasing or buying (unlike sales tax in KY)..

But, you have to keep in mind that the property tax is based on the value of the vehicle.. I leased a $54K MSRP car for $335/mo, a couple of years ago...
    $335 isn't a very big lease payment, but the property tax was the same as if I'd purchased the car... about $800/yr (gulp)..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    I hear you on that. Last month, I got my property tax bill for my leased 3 series & it was more than the lease pmt.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

So the property tax is valued at the m.s.r.p sticker price and not the negotiated sale price?

Had I known the property tax still wouldn't have kept me from leasing, still needed a vehicle.

Finance guy didn't mention taxes was in addition to monthly payments. Guess he figured I should have known that. LoL
    Property tax is based on retail value of the car on January 1st.. pretty sure they use the NADA guide for used cars..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• manny616manny616 Member Posts: 11
    Hi Guys,

I'm looking to lease a 2013 Honda Civic EX-L for 3 years and 36,000 miles.
    Am I right that the best money factor being offered by Honda Financial is 1.42% or (.00059)?
    What is a good residual for this model and trim? 61 percent? Do I include the destination charge when calculating the residual price?
    Anyone use TrueCar to negotiate the lease deal?

Thanks,

Manny
  • amr_ohioamr_ohio Member Posts: 2
    I wanted to share /get your opinion on the LEASE deal I was getting here in Columbus, Ohio for 2013 Civic EX-L w/navi.

$First month's payment down (nothing else due at signing)
    $275/per month
    What's the residual percentage or value of the vehicle at the end of the lease?
    Did you negotiate a price on the vehicle?
    Did they tell you the money factor/interest rate?
    The residual for the 2013 Civic EX-L sedan for 36 mo/12K/yr is 57%.

Depending on your state, the money factor on "Zero due at signing" leases is either .00059 or .00009.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

edited September 2013
    Hi,

Honda Civic EX-L (w/o navigation)

Does the 57% residual include the MSRP and Destination fee?

With those two figures the
    Total Price is $23,055 (includes destination charge)
    Sale Price is $20,828
    Residual Value: $13,141.35
    Depreciation amount is $7,140.65
    Money factor: 0.00059
    Sales tax: 8.875% (NYC)

I came up with $254.46 a month for 36 payments

Does that sound right? Am I missing anything? I know I don't have all the fees in there.
    Yes... .the MSRP that is used to calculate the residual includes the destination charge... the bottom number on the official Monroney sticker..

Your number is about right... You'll have an acquistion fee, doc fee (which is capped in NY.. under $100), and title/registration fees.. Also, tax in NY is based on the sum of payments plus any down payment.. then paid upfront (or added to the cap cost). This changes the tax calculation slightly, but not a lot...

If you roll everything in, with just 1st payment due at signing, you should be around $280-$285/mo. all in, given the numbers you provided..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Honda Civic EX-L (w/o navigation)

Does the 57% residual include the MSRP and Destination fee?

With those two figures the
    Total Price is $23,055 (includes destination charge)
    Sale Price is $20,828
    Acquisition Fee: $595 (didn't see this listed on my last lease contract but I'll include anyway)
    NY State Inspection Fee: $10
    Dealer Doc Fee: $75
    License and Title: $221.50 (moved from another state so needed new NY plates)
    NYS Waste Tire Fee: $12.50
    Adjusted Cap Cost: $21,742 (added all the fees listed above...this are the fees from my last lease)

Residual Value: $13,141.35
    Depreciation amount is $7,140.65
    Money factor: 0.00059
    Sales tax: 8.875% (NYC)

I came up with a lease payment of $281.89 / month
    Depreciation charge is $238.07
    Finance Charge is $20.84
    Sales Tax is $22.98

Sound about right? Can I just negotiate the acquisition fee into the sale price of the car? I think I may be able to lower this payment with reduced license and title fees since I can use the same plate on my current vehicle.

Is the residual the same on the EX?

Thanks for the verifying the numbers.
    That is about right.... with the same caveat as before.. New York doesn't tax the monthly payment..... they tax the total of payments and collect it upfront.. you can add this amount to the cap cost... You'll find it might add a $1/month or so to the amount you calculated.. (or less).

They can always add the acquisition fee to the CAP cost, but you won't get out of it..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• kanggary88kanggary88 Member Posts: 5
    Hi, I was wondering if this is a good deal?

$1800 down/ 36 months and 12,000 miles per year for a month of $220 in New Jersey

Help me everyone!~

Thanks~
    Well I just got offered almost exactly what I calculated here. $288 a month plus dmw fees due a lease signing. I got $267 for the EX model. Don't know if I'll take though. We'll see. Still debating if it's worth the extra money above the LX.
    I just had an unbelievable experience at my local Honda dealership. I tell the salesman I want the LX special lease. My aim was to negotiate a better deal on that lease. He quotes me $270 a month for the LX!!!! I looked at him like he was crazy. I tell him about the National Honda promotion. He goes to the site and says the 210 isn't right because it doesn't include destination, bank fee, etc. I explain to him that his company's own deal already includes many of those fees. The only thing that is subject to change is the tax amount since it's a national offer. He thinks I'm wrong and that it's 210 plus all the fees he quoted me. I said no it isn't. It's 210 plus taxes. Everything else is already set. I understand the issue with it not including DMV fees and incidental fees but the major fees are already worked out in the deal.

Has anyone else ever had this kind of experience? I'm still taken back by it. I go in there thinking that if I don't feel like haggling it'll be 210 a month plus NYC taxes (8.875%). The math isn't exact but it's approximate. So nothing down, besides maybe those incidental fees, and it'll be about $229 a month. I still can't believe it. And this is after going back and forth all day on the number for an EX model and an EX-L model. The EX was cheaper than the LX earlier today. I just had to let you guys know. I'm shocked.
    This s why you should use the Internet to your advantage and have the deal negotiated before even going to the dealer. Get all the details of the deal confirmed either by email or faxed buyer's order. Previous posts in this thread indicate LXs going for around 200 per month with at most, first payment due at signing. Nationally advertised deals usually have profit built in for the dealers so you should be able to negotiate a better deal than advertised (depending on available supply).

Bill G
    Well, I live in NJ and I just went in to the dealership last Saturday, and they gave me $1800 down for 36 months, 12000 miles per year and includes all fees $220 a month for the EX model. I am even a returning customer, now I have a CR-Z and they still gave me that price. I think even with LX it is less likely they will go down $200 and less. Unless you pay more downpay then there will be chance of reducing below $200.
    kanggary - go back and review previous posts in this thread - you should see that a number of posters stated deals of around 200 per month on civic lx's with only first payment due at signing. Current supply might affect current deals. If you haven't already, take time to educate yourself about leasing vehicles - there are financial disadvantages to placing too much money down up front when entering into a lease. It is best to only pay the first payment up front and roll the rest of the fees/taxes into the lease payment. Your EX quote actually is around 275 a month with zero due at signing. Do you know what the actual selling price is (incl destination/dealer doc fee)? That's the figure you can work on to get your payment down.

Bill G
    edited September 2013
    Thank you for telling me that. I actually was going to put down $2000 down at first, but like you said, people suggested me not to put too much money down so when I quoted with them I said $1500 down, but the price was high, even more than what you gave me, it was like $285 per month, so that is why I added $300 more towards downpay to get the price now that I have which is $220.

At first, they weren't even going to give me $220 because I still have one payment left for my CR-Z and they said if they have to pay for my last payment the best they can do was $237 per month. Of course, I wasn't happy about it and keep going back and forth on the price to get $220. Do you think it is a good deal for $220 a month?
    Is your current car a leased vehicle that you are turning in or are you trading it in on the new vehicle? If you are trading it in, the transaction becomes a bit more complicated - you have to consider how any positive or negative equity is affecting the adjusted capitalized cost on the new lease. We can't really provide you a meaningful opinion on your proposed deal unless all the itemized details are available.

Bill
    I am turning in to the same dealership I leased three years ago.
    What is the itemized details you need in order to know?
    2013 Honda Civic EX- 4 Dr and 4 Cylinder Engine, 12,000 miles per year, 36 months, downpay $1800, I have the college grad specials for $220 a month. Where would I find the details? Thank you!
    You need an detailed itemized listing of ALL costs they are using to calculate your lease - if they are an up front dealer, they will be willing to provide you a written itemized breakdown. If not, they might be trying to hide something or confuse you.

Bill
  • amr_ohioamr_ohio Member Posts: 2
    I got my car today, I re-negotiated and got the following deal:

2013 CIVIC EX-L w/NAVI
    First month's payment due at signing.
    $265 per month including everything
    36K miles (12K/year)

Just the black/black beauty today. So far loving it.
    That's an awesome deal! I'm still haggling over Honda's promotion. The dealer is telling me they have to add the acquisition fee to the total amount of payments ($7350) to calculate the tax amount in NY. Does that sound right to you? Based on what I've read NY charges tax on the total amount being paid on the lease. So if the total they say being paid is $7350 why would you add the acquisition fee to that?
    I'm still haggling over Honda's promotion. The dealer is telling me they have to add the acquisition fee to the total amount of payments ($7350) to calculate the tax amount in NY. Does that sound right to you? Based on what I've read NY charges tax on the total amount being paid on the lease. So if the total they say being paid is $7350 why would you add the acquisition fee to that? He's quoting me $230 a month for the LX deal. That's way more than what I've seen people get here.
    how much did you put for your downpay? I have to go sign the contract today.. hopefully I can get a good deal too.. :/
    Manny - are you working with just one dealer? You need to get multiple dealers involved and competing with each other. Amr's deal, if legit, is proof positive you are not getting a competitive deal from the dealer you are working with. You should be able to get the LX for around 200 with zero due at signing. That's without a trade involved though - if you have a trade in, any positive or negative equity will affect the ultimate payment. From what I have read, NY assesses sales tax on the total of payments, which usually includes the acquisition fee.

Bill
    Bill,

Thanks for the encouragement. The best offer I got from them was $215 a month w first month and the DMW fees. But they said they can't do it with Honda Financial. They need to go w a different finance company. Does this sound right? I'm emailing other dealerships. They're being evasive. I guess I need to expand the search further.

Thanks,

Manny
    Good job Manny - get some competition going and I think you'll see some good results. I recommend only leasing with Honda - they are very good at the end of the lease with a $1500 damage waiver and the option to extend your lease on a month to month basis if you need to.

It's getting close to the end of the month, so that might help you a little.

Let us know how you make out.

Bill
    So now I've come to this...$235 due at lease signing for DMV fees (nothing else) and then $225 a month (including taxes) for 35 months. 3 years and 12,000 miles a year.

Thoughts?
This discussion has been closed.