Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

TOYOTA TACOMA vs FORD RANGER- Part XI

Comments

• lariat1lariat1 Member Posts: 461
    THe way they keep the locker from engaging in 2wd on a 4x4 tacoma is a relay, the relay is only energized when the tranfercase in in low range, if you bypass the relay you can engage the locker anytime, someone on this board has mentioned that they have already done this.
  • 2k1trd2k1trd Member Posts: 301
    Yes the prerunners do get to use the locker anytime but the 4wd models are limited.
  • cpousnrcpousnr Member Posts: 1,611
    to a degree regarding choosing Ranger.

I do not like to be limited in my choices or performance of a vehicle.

Add a locker to a Ranger and I think you engage it when you want to, not when the vehicle wants you to. Engage in 4lo third gear, 4 hi first gear, you name it.

I just do not like a vehicle you are required to option up to get the things you want.

My 99 Ranger is doing fine at 42K miles, good mileage, running strong. Getting it ready for the passes in S/W Colo. Adding a CB and hooking up the clinometer.
  • allknowingallknowing Member Posts: 866
    Ha Ha!!! You're killing me barlitz. Ha Ha. The s10 forum is full of problems while in the Tacoma forum, half of the posts are people recommending the Tacoma or praising it. Your conclusion doesn't hold water dude. I'm glad for you that the S10 is doing better in initial quality than in the past but it has a LONG way to go to reach the long term quality reputation of the Tacoma or the Ranger.
  • midnight_stangmidnight_stang Member Posts: 862
    Are stuck in the garage or just not able to use a computer? (Because they can only use it in 4-lo?) :)
  • eagle63eagle63 Member Posts: 599
    I might be taking another test drive soon, so I'll try engaging the locker in 2wd, 4-hi, and 4-lo and we'll see what happens.
  • spoogspoog Member Posts: 1,224
    http://msnbc.com/news/613144.asp

\\ THE AGREEMENT ends years of litigation in which a California judge said the Detroit automaker was living in an “Alice in Wonderland” dreamland for denying ignition switches were defective. The proposed settlement, announced late Sunday, comes four months after Alameda County Superior Court Judge Michael E. Ballachey ordered as many as 2 million vehicles in California recalled as part of a statewide class-action suit in which the judge found that Ford concealed the shabby parts from government inspectors.\\

Again, more concrete evidence of Ford overall lack of quality.

FIVE million vehicles will be effected. Ford has already paid out hundreds of lawsuits thanks to the wrongful deaths caused by their cost-cutting, cheap switches.

You buy garbage, garbage is what you get.

It's good to own a high quality product like Toyota. Money very,very well spent.

\\.
    The Detroit automaker denies the ignition devices are defective and stall, but already has settled hundreds of wrongful death, injury and other suits in connection to allegations of Ford vehicles stalling.
    The suit challenged Ford’s placement of the thick film ignition module, which regulates electric current to the spark plugs. In 300 models sold between 1983 and 1995, the module was mounted on the distributor near the engine block, where it was exposed to high temperatures.

Ballachey, the nation’s only judge to order a vehicle recall, found last year that Ford was warned by an engineer that high temperatures would cause the device to fail and stall the engine. Ford’s own documents show that the company confirmed the problem in internal studies, and could have moved the module to a cooler spot for an extra $4 per vehicle.\\
  • smgillessmgilles Member Posts: 252
    In order to get the rear locker to opperate while the vehicle is NOT in 4wd low here is all you need to do: locate the 4wd control ECU behind the drivers side kick pannel. Find the grey wire that plugs into the 4wd ECU at pin number 8. Cut the grey wire somewhere near the ECU so you can run a new ground wire to it. There is a grounding bolt closely located that worked good for me. Just leave the end of the grey wire that goes back into the wiring harness so it's an open circuit. This allows the locker to operate at any time provided the vehicle speed criteria for the locker is still met. A factory wiring diagram is usefull to aid in the process. Hope this helps out.
  • barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    I don't agree with you I think you're wrong and will always be wrong.The s-10 is better than the tacoma and you're just ashamed that you paid to much money for it.There are more important things in life than to dwell on a simple mistake that you made. Come to the other side the domestic side where everybody knows your name, just like on Cheers.
    \\Come to the other side the domestic side where everybody knows your name, just like on Cheers. \\

You mean where "everyone knows their mechanics name....."
    smgilles - I guess I may be lucky because mine already works in 2WD. I suppose I won't try to fix it since so many work so hard for theirs to not function properly like mine..

barlitz- If I'm ashamed of anything it isn't the fact that I bought a Toyota or a Ford for my wife. Both have been good vehicles. I am a bit ashamed that all of the new vehicles I bought before I reached my thirties were GM vehicles which gave me lots of problems. I should have bought foreign or at least Fords much earlier in my life. Maybe GM is getting better but it will be some time before I try one again. Judging from internet problem posts, Consumer Reports, etc., trucks like the S10 are still not too good in comparison. If they are getting better some of these publications should indicate that soon. We'll see if you've just been lucky or if it's a trend in a few years. Hopefully you're right because I've always liked GM styling and engine design.
    The report I saw did not mention the RANGER as being effected by the engine module recall.

What can you present to suggest the RANGER is effected by this recall?

If you cannot present data to support that your statements are related to the RANGER, could pf_flyer remove the subject posts as not applicable to the RANGER? BTW, I think the module was on Fords LARGER V8 engines, not the ones in the RANGER. Any common words here spoog?

RANGER!

Also, spoog, no mention of the 2 Billion dollar settlement by Toyota to Jessie Jackson? Not real proud of that I suspect. Thats ok, it will be passed on in replacement parts cost, so you will pick it up somehow.
    If you're gonna bash on FORD, at least don't make generalizations of the FACTS listed in the LINKS you provide. BESIDES this has NOTHING to do with RANGERS.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Did a little test. Nothing has changed in this room. We still have the Toyota boys saying the Tacoma is so much better than the Rangers. And when a Ranger owner speaks up and says they like the Ranger, they have a "screw loose" per allknowing.
    The locker is a very limited option, very pricey option that most will NEVER use correctly. Got to love that TRD sticker! LOL!
    I notice most Toyota owners also don't like to talke about HP/Torque curves.. Hmmm..
    Same old stuff...... See ya!
    Rangers are effected...:

http://autosafety.org/ActionAlerts/TFI-Intro.htm

The 2.3 and 2.9 liter engines from 1984-91.

But on the other side, that would mean that NO Rangers built with the 3.0 and 4.0 are effected.

Also, that this is a problem the is 10 years old.

Also the repair is good for 100,000 miles and will include reimbursment if you have already done the repair.

Lets deal with 10 year old problems on Toyota trucks, like the head gasket that Toyota never recalled, just allowed it to be a non published recall. They would cover the engine for 100,000 miles, reimburse you if it blew and you paid.

HEY, the Ford engine module is just like the Toyota head gasket problem, same mileage, same reimbursment. . .

EXCEPT WITH TOYOTA YOUR ENGINE LUNCHED, WITH FORD YOU JUST STALLED.

I'm only kidding with ya, buy what you choose. I think all the trucks built now are fairly solid, there are pro's and cons with all makes,I've had my ZR2 since last Sept and I haven't had one problem with it, the only time its at the dealer is for scheduled maintenance.
    Plase pay attention. The recall includes 5 million Ford vehicles, and that includes RANGERS.

More Ford quality at work, more of Ford cutting corners and costing people's lives.
    All I can say is that it is really, really nice to have a solid vehicle , especially when the company that built it doesnt cut corners.

Ahhh...it's a good feeling.

Looks like all the data is very,very well supported.

From offroading to build quality, Toyota is king. Oh yes indeed.
    Well gang, yet another example of Ford cutting corners and risking the safety of those who purchase their vehicles. RANGER's are effected.

Year: 2001 Make: FORD TRUCK Model: RANGER Recall Date: 07/17/2001

Type of Report: Vehicle
    Potential Number of Units Affected: 1400000

Defect Summary:
    VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER AND SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, PICKUP TRUCKS, AND MINIVANS. EQUIPPED WITH SEAT BELTS SUPPLIED BY TRW. IT IS POSSIBLE THAT THE DRIVER'S AND/OR FRONT PASSENGER'S OUTBOARD SEAT BELT BUCKLE MAY NOT FULLY LATCH.
    Consequence Summary:
    IN THE EVENT OF A CRASH, THE RESTRAINT SYSTEM MAY NOT PROVIDE ADEQUATE OCCUPANT PROTECTION, INCREASING THE RISK OF PERSONAL INJURY TO THE SEAT OCCUPANT.
    Corrective Summary:
    DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE FRONT OUTBOARD SEAT BELT BUCKLES AND IF THE BUCKLE FAILS THE INSPECTION PROCESS, IT WILL BE REPLACED.
    http://msnbc.com/news/613144.asp

"Alameda County Superior Court Judge Michael E. Ballachey has said Ford misled government inspectors and was living in an “Alice and Wonderland” dreamland by denying that defective ignition switches were installed on 23 million vehicles. An estimated 5 million may still be on the road. "

"“I think this is basically a win for consumers,” Jeff Fazio, a lead attorney in the class-action case against Ford, said Sunday, before the judge imposed a gag order. “It could have been years before the cars were fixed, but with this it could come soon.”

"Ballachey, however, said Ford concealed information from federal safety regulators, who were studying hundreds of complaints about Ford vehicles stalling, and an NHTSA official said the government would not have closed the case if Ford had given the agency key documents unveiled in the class-action case"

".

Ballachey, the nation’s only judge to order a vehicle recall, found last year that Ford was warned by an engineer that high temperatures would cause the device to fail and stall the engine. Ford’s own documents show the company confirmed the problem in internal studies and could have moved the module to a cooler spot for an extra $4 per vehicle"

" If you consider buying a ranger, take it for a very,very long test drive"

- Edmunds.com

" The ranger rattled like a rattlesnake offroad"

-Edmunds.com

" The Tacoma was a unanimous decision over the Ranger"

-Fourhweeler.com

" The Tacom beat a Hummer, Wrangler, and Range Rover to become the Ultimate 4x4"

- Fourhweeler.com

" The ranger ' whoopty-dood' on the bumps, and its suspension is mainly for the highway"

-Fourhweeler.com

This forum is for intelligent debate on why tacoma's or Rangers are better than the other.

Your continued copying and pasting of the same trite magazine quotes, the sensationalist government actions, and so on are growing quite tiresome.

The seat buckles is a nice size TSB, but do you have to post every single TSB you can lay your hands on? Are these acts of a desparate man?

About the time you started to shrink back from the mercury postings, cpounser already beat you to the punch by telling us all about the seatbelts. If you happened to read a few posts after that, you would have seen an interesting fact concerning the seat belt issues in Rangers.

""Due to outside supplier manufacturing issues, a small percentage of these seat belt buckles may not latch properly if insufficient force is applied when inserting the tongue into the buckle. If the seat belt release button does not return to its full up position upon latching, the buckle may not be fully latched."" post 1893.

Let me paraphrase for you, "A small percentage" of the 1.4 million POTENTIALLY AFFECTED vehicles, may not latch properly if you don't push the seatbelt in until it clicks, and the button pops up.

Concerning spoog's reply to cpounser...
    "Plase pay attention. The recall includes 5 million Ford vehicles, and that includes RANGERS." Read cpounser's post 2118, two before your reply quoted above. You would state that he did find links showing rangers were affected. When you were asked for proof that they were, you didn't supply anything.

Also this is the second posting of your TFI ignition article in the past 20 posts. Don't you get tired of cutting and pasting? If you read the full article of the link YOU provided, you would find out that only NHTSA has authority to mandate a recall. Ford proposed an agreement to replace those affected TFI modules and under 100,000 miles. Plus Ford will extend the ingition warranties to 100,000 miles.

Sidenote, Consumer reports hails Explorer over 4 Runner and others. It must hurt that Ford's outsell and are better rated than Toyota.
    only effects Rangers that are 10 years old or older.

By spoogs own words, Rangers are bad and will be on the scrap heep by that time....
    so...
    there will be no Rangers to repair, by spoogs standards!

8^)

Any way, the problem has no effect on my vehicle.

Gettin close to put up or shut up regarding wheeling in the San Juans. . .
    Lets see, Engineer, Cinnamon, Imogene, Cunningham/Stoney Mtn., Wheeler, Poughkeepsie...sound familure?

Heck spoog, whats wrong with just telling me your flying into Grand Junction and wont have your truck?
    Thats ok, will send a post card to you!
    barlitz - Believe it or not, It's good to hear that your ZR2 is doing good. It's a nice looking and well equiped truck. Apparently GM is returning to a higher quality truck and may come out as a top contender like they used to. It would be better for everyone if there are many quality brands to choose from. I have to admit that GM usually has the best looking trucks in my opinion.

Vince - Wonderful to have you back, however, I can only think of one Ranger owner that meets the "screw loose" criteria.
    "By spoogs own words, Rangers are bad and will be on the scrap heep by that time....
    so...there will be no Rangers to repair, by spoogs standards"!

Ha, Great response CP!!!!
    \\Your continued copying and pasting of the same trite magazine quotes, the sensationalist government actions, and so on are growing quite tiresome.\\

"sensationalist" government actions? These are recalls Ford agreed to! These are huge problems and cost cutting that once again effects the safety of Ford drivers anc occupants. This is FORD calling for the recall after being forced by the government after it was revealed Ford tried to hide it.

Time and time and time again bold, clear, concise facts have been presented, and time and time and time again quirky Ranger owners deny anything exists. lol.
    No offense, but most of the Ranger backers o nthis board are simply oblivious to facts, or reason.

As for my tired magazine articles - The ones I have been quoting lately are from 2001 where the Tacoma won "ultiumate 4x4" over a hummer , wrangler and range rover, and the "pickup of the year 2001" where the Tacoma "opened a can of whoop-a##(fourhweeler.com)" on a full size chevy, GMC, s-10, and nissan frontier.

And cspounser - responding to every truth I post by saying your "heading for the mountains" simply demonstrates you have no real argument for Fords continued questionable safety and reliability problems.

- Spoog ( who has just nailed the 10,000 nail in the rangers coffin since this forum opened :) )
    I have a 2001 4x4 Tacoma that is 6 months old. I noticed when waxing it last night that there are a dozen spots about the size of a pencil eraser where the paint is cracking. I went to the dealership and they said it was do to (acid rain, bird droppings, etc.), so it wouldn't be covered under warranty. My color is black so there is no clear coat, anyone else have any ideas or similar problems???? I am going to meet with the rep. but I am sure I will get the same run around. I wash and was this thing religiously! I live in Iowa, so no acid rain either. If it's bird droppings then every black truck on the lot should have the same problem. Simply frustrating!!!!!! Please Help...
    Shane
    The color you have is metallic black i believe and yes it has clearcoat.If there is a problem with the paint,toyota will take care of it.If it were my truck and it honestly had a paint defect,i would push for a replacement vehicle instead of a repair only being 6 mos old.
    I swore up and down that it had a clear coat, but the service guy told me that the black, red, and white have no clear coat. It will be interesting to see what the rep. has to say. I am going to take it to the dealership where I bought it and see if they give me the same run around. I don't care if it's bird droppings or acid rain, paint should not be doing what it is doing.
    Nobody is denying anything, we are (I am) just trying to prove how overblown your antics are. You grab 1 bit of news that is anti-ford or anti-ranger, and post it over and over again. An Atty General worried about Mercury poisoning(only from Fords, but Toyota is cranking out vehicles with mercury in them as we speak). An ignition modules, that doesn't like heat, that could cause stalling in 10-15 year old vehicles. If your vehicle is 10-15 years old, it isn't just the ignition that could cause it to stall! Besides, the government sanctioning body on vehicle safety, NHTSA has made no move to warrant any recall. Ford is doing it voluntarily, al beit under court pressure. There was a Ford document submitted that stated it could be a issue. It is pure conjecture to make this lead you to believe that Ford is all about cost cutting and customer safety last. How do you know this was a major problem? Did you know the judge ordered a recall for California vehicles only? Did you know that Ford's proposed settlement would include all vehicles nationwide?

We all know of the magazine quotes you have been posting, so there is no need to re quote them again. That's great fourwheeler praises Tacoma over all others, but only if you are into 4x4ing with a truck off the show room floor. 1. You're probably going to trash up the truck. 2. You will break or scratch stuff 3. If you're really serious about spending money or the ultimate off-road vehicle, you better modify it.

Think of this whole series of posts as a long discussion/debate. That is why you sound like a broken record. What would you think of someone who always replies with the same thing over and over?
    Midnight -

See, the thing is, I have provided concrete evidence, rather than useless personal opinion. No offense, but the basis of a sound argument is facts and data flying back and forth. I provide enough of that on the Tacaom end to justify it's clear victory in this forum.

There are no "experts" in this forum, so nothing will be decided here by making up stories and offering useless pretend information.

However, there *are* experts at fourwheeler.com and at the NHSTA and at other sources who monitor, test, and track all the data and information for these vehicles.

So the results of serious testing, comparisons and competition carry just a wee bit more weight than " I didn't see any Tacomas on the trail today so they must not be good".

Thanks for letting me clear this up.
    "However, there *are* experts at. . . other sources who monitor, test, and track all the
    data and information for these vehicles."

Like Consumer Reports? They monitor, test(a test that runs every vehicle over the SAME test track) and track data and information on these vehicles.
    Only difference is they recieve no pay for the effort, unlike 4Wheeler. . .

8^)~
    fuel lines that could break and cause a fire:

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 88V019000

Hmm do you want a stalling 1988 Ranger or the potential of your truck, and you, burning as in the 1988 Toyota pickup?

Both are the subject of a NHTSA recall during the period that is considered serious and damning by spoog. Both reflect design errors in the vehicles.

Now, which one does spoog center on?

spoog says "so nothing will be decided here by making up stories and offering useless pretend information."

while in the past he says "More Ford quality at work, more of Ford cutting corners and costing people's lives" and "Again, more concrete evidence of Ford overall lack of quality." and "You buy garbage, garbage is what you get. "

Do as I say, not as I do huh? Practice what you preach.

The TFI Module isn't life threatening. Not one accident was caused by it , and not one life taken because of this module.

Next Ford will have to recall the Model T for lack of roll-over protection.
    Well it's official,the new tundra has optional LSD diff and i'm willing to bet the future tacoma's will also.
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    Spoog says they won't last like a locker!!!
    Let's start a spoog vs. vince8 forum.
    Ha! Good response.
    What about the fuel line fire problem in YOUR Ranger? Hanve't you realized yet you can't play this game anymore? The Ranger just has way too many bad things documented about it. You have been playing with a shirt hand this entire time.

Even a lab rat eventually learns if the red cheese has an electro shock......

Recalls Summary

Make: FORD TRUCK
    Model: RANGER
    Year: 1998
    NHTSA Campaign ID Number: 97V186000

Defect Summary:
    VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: LIGHT DUTY PICKUP TRUCKS EQUIPPED WITH 4.0L ENGINES. THE FLEXIBLE SECTION OF THE CHASSIS MOUNTED FUEL LINE THAT CONNECTS TO THE ENGINE WAS ROUTED TOO CLOSE TO THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD. THE LINE COULD CONTACT THE MANIFOLD.
    Consequence Summary:
    THIS COULD POTENTIALLY RESULT IN DAMAGE TO THE FUEL LINE, OR IN SOME CASES, CAUSE A FUEL LEAK. FUEL LEAKAGE IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE COULD RESULT IN A FIRE.
    Corrective Summary:
    DEALERS WILL INSTALL AN ADDITIONAL CLIP TO HOLD THE FUEL LINE IN THE INTENDED DESIGN POSITION.
    I read this also about the LSD for both Tacoma and Tundra. Looks as if Toyota took a beating and will now offer these diffs... Hmm....
    Allknowing, you need to change your name to knownothing... How are you linking your open rear diff? I did one heck of a number on your ego huh bud? I popped that "Toyota is god bubble" but good!
    I sure like how all these Toyota boys backed away from CP's offroad adventures... Hmm..
    I had to convince and show a Tacoma owner that the Ranger now just plain out powers a Tacoma with the new SOHC 4.0. He would not budge, swore the Tacoma had more HP/Torque! LOL!!
    Well gang, Edmunds has compared the crew cabs from all the makers, and it has faired very very well.

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/comparison/articles/46966/article.html

"The Tacoma was by far the most capable truck in this test when it came to off-highway performance. "

-Edmunds.com, 2001 crew cab test

Of course, we all knew this already, right?

"Off-road, the Tacoma is simply awesome. The tightly controlled TRD-tuned suspension dispatched every obstacle with ease, and the high ground clearance made scaling large boulders a much less threatening affair than most of the other trucks in the test."

- Edmunds.com 2001 crew cab comparison

"This engine is the best of the bunch, hands down. It offers the best compromise between fuel economy and power. "

-Edmunds.com 2001 crew cab comparison

"In addition to its solid overall performance, the Tacoma also boasts Toyota's long-standing reliability record. One editor noted: "You could probably drive the hell out of this thing every day for 10 years, and it would still serve you well, asking only for gas and regular maintenance."

-Edmunds.com 2001 crew cab comparisons

"It was the general consensus that the Toyota was the most capable off-road of all the trucks. "

Edmunds.com 2001 crew cab comparisons

"There are certain areas that I think Ford could improve upon, however. Unloaded ride quality was poor; the truck was too bouncy and generally unpleasant to drive. Even more worrisome was the lackluster build quality found on our test truck. Interior trim pieces were loose and had large gaps. The driver-side window switch pod popped out easily, exposing the wires beneath. Our truck was also leaking transmission fluid during our test.

Ford has been criticized recently about declining levels of quality. Maybe it's time to bring back the old Ford tagline. You know, where "Quality Is Job 1"?"

-Edmunds.com 2001 crew cab comparison
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    If you want 2nd place, get the Toyota!!! Too rich indeed.
    Thats ok Modv- the Tacoma won "ultimate 4x4" by fourhweeler this year, and "opened a can of whoop-a@@" in the 2001 pickup of the year and won that one too.

The point is that the Edmunds comparison eloquently and clearly demonstrates what I have been saying all along -

The Tacoma destroys the Ford vehicles offroad, and has much better reliability and quality.
  • frey44frey44 Member Posts: 230
    i saw a new Tundra (2002). it was an SR5 4x4, and had limited slip on the sticker. what i DO NOT know for sure, is if you can get this option with the 2x4. i hope so as i am planning to buy one in a few months, as soon as i unload my 2000 Ranger 4x4. i assume this 275.00 price is fairly consistent throughout the US.
    I know you're really proud of your TRD, why don't you post a story in the topic I created about any of your offroad stories, I tried to creat a topic on offroad tales and trails, where you can write about
    some of your trail rides also I'd like it where no one berates another persons truck, there are some great tales already posted.
  • knownothing1knownothing1 Member Posts: 1
    Nope, no difference even with the name change. Your cabeza still appears empty. When your drugs wear off let us all know how to go about "linking our rear diff.".
    I didn't think Ranger was even available in a Crew Cab configuration.
    No it was the Explorer Sport Track, totally different suspension than a Ranger, coil springs in the rear.

Spoog missed this:

2001 Compact Crew Cab Comparison Test
    First Place - Dodge Dakota SLT Plus Quad Cab
This discussion has been closed.